The Incredible Hulk!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

The Incredible Hulk!!

No votes
19%
28%
33%
11%
3%
No votes
3%
3%
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 36

Re:

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:15 am

so sorry wrote:
JpPrewitt789 wrote:http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36973

Grande Rojo's review is up on the main page. It really isn't very descriptive at all, but I think he liked it.

My non-excitement for this movie has done a complete 180 in the last few weeks.

I'm not normally one to get all excited by Grande Rojo's reviews. In fact, I ususally just avoid them altogether. But I read that and I gotta say, he may have swayed me to see this in the theater.

I have to agree, so sorry. As I mentioned in the KOTCS thread Harry's reviews aren't something I take very seriously. I appreciate the site and his promotion of all things geek... however, his film reviews are often :roll: . Regardless, I will be seeing The Incredible Hulk opening weekend.

Also, MODS, we may need a reset on the poll with the good ol' 1 to 10 rating :D
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Re: THE INCREDIBLE HULK (Now w/ Fight Clips!)

Postby yorrick brown on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:11 am

Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:19 am

Ah, let the Marvel Universe tie ins begin!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:05 am

Awesome! I also read somewhere that Caps shield is in Iron Man on the wall of Tonys house. I didnt catch it tho.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:13 am

My fuck...it's full of stars...

You know how there's always that lame ass line in some movie where somebody takes a bit of a dramatic pause...and then they proudly proclaim "Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!"? Well, at the sake of sounding cliche, now THAT'S what I'm fucking talking about!!!

This is a superhero film.
And this is how you have a superhero fight...

I'm gonna do my best to not say: Hulk is Incredible...even though it is...I caught myself grinning more often than not throughout the film...and I'm not some huge comic/Hulk geek...
I recently watched Ang Lee's Hulk again on TV, and even though I warmed up to it a bit more than my initial viewing, it's still not what I really wanted to see in a Hulk movie...
I'm all for some drama, and emotion, and character development, and all the stuff that will make most movies better...but in the case of a comic book or superhero movie, all those things are fine and dandy, but in the end, more so than most films, you want that SMASH and BANG!.
You crave it...
And when or if you don't get it, or don't get much of it...then you're kinda left with a bit of emptiness after...

I felt no emptiness after this movie except for the fact that there was no way I could go and see it again right away with more people...

You get 3 Main scenes (as in 3 big Hulk getting down with his inner smash). All 3 each build up on top of each other, and slowly give you a little more and more.
It reminds me a bit of when I was watching the special features for Flash Point and for Kill Zone (SPL). Donnie Yen would say that he specifically designs the whole film around the action scenes. He will build each scene, slowly up the pace, and tease you a little more with each action scene until it just lets loose in the end.

You can feel this movie was designed around the Hulk. Everything was put in place and planned out in order to perfectly hand you a "brand new hero" without ever being a true origin story.
But it's built around the intensity and the suspense and the completely unpredictable Hulk himself.
It's not like the other parts without the Hulk are useless or pointless. Without them, everything with the Hulk would just be an angry green man who has never discovered spandex...

What I'm trying to say is, with Lee's Hulk, I felt it was built around Bruce and the people around him. He was always trying to get rid of this "curse" and was never willing to accept it. It seemed to be more about the emotions and inner turmoil of a man with this extremely dark side.
Which is fine, if that's the way you want to see it done.

The Incredible Hulk is about the Hulk becoming a HERO. About Bruce (hopefully) learning maybe not how to control it per se, but at least how to "aim" it...
It's not about a man running away from himself.
He's running away from everyone else until he hopefully doesn't have to run anymore...

But with the last shot of Norton in the film, you know this isn't some dude who is continuously wrestling with inner demons and depression and pathos...it's some dude who has come to terms with what he is, and he's more at peace with it...he's possibly even a bit happy about it...

Once again, I'm sure this is a little too random or rambling-esque, but I'm just kinda pulling out bits and pieces in my head and trying to do it a bit of justice...

Back to the 3 "scenes"

The first one, when the army first finds Banner living near the few shacks that weren't destroyed in Bad Boys 2...and they corner him in a bottling plant/warehouse.
Between the army, and some bad ass co-workers - Bruce is fucked - and has nowhere to go...
Except deep inside while his friend comes out to play...

This first scene with the Hulk takes place in a lot of shadows with bits of light and glimpses of the Hulk.
It's a nice tease.
It's also the first meeting between the Hulk and Blonsky (the always smarmy, sleazy, creepy looking Tim Roth)
Their second meeting (the one with the tear gas launched into the walk-way from the trailer) is after Blonsky has had a minor injection of some serum that was being developed during some sort of sequel war...

Blonsky actually holds his own for a brief moment...that is until another moment when The Hulk hoofs him in the chest and sends him crashing (hard like a muthafucka) into a tree...
Blonsky crumples, and we later find out that his bones are more like mashed potatoes and he's just a big bloody mess...

Their 3rd meeting, is of course, the big Hulk Vs. Abomination...

And this is truly what I was talking about when I said that this is a superhero fight...

Arguably, my biggest problem with Iron Man is that when we finally got to the big climactic fight, it suddenly seemed over. It was too quick. Which is a bit of a problem with a lot of big budget films. They sometimes seem to blow their load on everything leading up to the end, sometimes the part that should matter most, doesn't get all the attention or detail it deserves.

And this goes back to what I was saying about the film being built around the Hulk action scenes.
Like Donnie Yen said, when he makes his Hong Kong films, they don't usually have that much money, so they can never have too many huge action scenes.
But that's okay, because in an action film, the scene that is supposed to stand out the most (unfortunately a lot of the time it's for the worse) is the climax. That's where everything comes together. That's when everything gets tied up. And that's when everybody just lets the fuck loose. It's one of the last things the audience will remember...you want them to remember it for all the right reasons.
So Yen would make sure that all the earlier scenes built up to the amazing climax - it made it all worthwhile.
The Incredible Hulk does NOT blow it's load early.
They made sure that their climactic battle, would be running through the audiences head for a long time after.
And it is...

When you finally get to the true "HULK SMASH!" moment, it's well worth it...because he truly does smash...and smash and smash and smash...wherein in Ang's Hulk he jumped...and jumped and jumped and jumped...this one trades all the jumping for smashing...

And I must say, the worst bits of cgi were scenes that usually seem to look bad in most films...for some reason...my buddy I went with said the same thing...it's the cgi city view from the helicopter thing. Flying through the city and what-not...it always looks like a bit of a flight simulator...but if that's what they needed to do in order to make the Hulk appear as a real character, I'm fine with that. He interacts and mingles with the real actors as well as Kong and/or Gollum. His skin isn't the constant one green shade like previously - it's more like real skin that's a different color. Like that dude that was on Oprah, with the blue skin. It would still have some different colors and shades and depths to it depending on the kind of light...and it was spot on...

I'll need to really sit down and try to focus my thoughts better in order to write something a little more proper and coherent...but I'm willing to try and answer any questions people might have...

I also will have to see this and Iron Man again, to see which one I enjoy more in the end...
Of course Downey's performance in Iron Man is hands down brilliant (as well as his brief moment in Hulk...which shows off exactly the kinda sparks we might see between Hurt and Downey in the future...just a few lines shared and they already clicked...), and Norton's in Hulk are mostly a polar opposite...which I can see gelling well together down the road...
But
I like that Norton wasn't all depressed and sorrowful the whole time...he had a bit of spark and wit to him. And he has a way of conveying intensity and calmness with the same simple glare.
It's nothing too flashy for him like some of his previously lauded roles - but it's a fine line. He's not too geeky. Or too nerdy. Or too depressed. Or too Emo. Or too stalkerish.
He has his issues, and he deals with them, but he still tries to exist in a normal way.

I will say I think Incredible Hulk suffers a bit less from the whole origin-itis thing that so many comic book films seem they need to inflict upon themselves.
And for certain ones, it's kinda unavoidable.
Iron Man did it well, but for that type of film and character, it did need to have some sort of setup.

But with The The Incredible Hulk, I feel that even if there wasn't the previous one, this one still could've done it the exact same way it did now.
You get a brief setup of what happened, kind of, in the opening title sequence.

Then we're into the movie.

So you don't have to endure Bruce getting his powers...discovering his powers...learning his powers...etc...

But, that's not to say this isn't an Origin film.
It's not the origin of one man and his powers...
It's the origin of one man with powers becoming a hero...and I think in the end, that's what makes it so enjoyable...

And I'm not saying any of these other heroes didn't eventually become heroes...they did...that's what it's all about...
But I don't know, it was just nice to see things done differently...

You get a few little moments of exposition throughout so it helps you understand a bit more about what happened...in case you came in a few minutes late.
But it's nice, because with him already having the powers, we can jump into the action quite early and get things going...then fill in a few blanks here and there throughout...

And Hulk's true hero shot at the end...with his foot pinning down The Abomination...cops and civilians all gathered around staring in awe...and the roar...just before he takes off...really gives you something to smile about...and something to shiver about...

So yeah...what else...there's bits of humor...nothing goofy like cgi animals or monkeys swinging.
Just a few small moments or reactions or quips that keep it light enough in between the intensity to make it the perfect summer escape film.
It never takes itself too seriously, but it does treat all the subject matter and the fantastical elements seriously. And I think that's a big problem with some films. Especially since more and more big name and/or talented directors and stars and what-not are working on these types of films.

Sometimes I think people try to get a little too serious with films like these cause they feel that if they don't, it might be beneath them, or seem cheesy, or something...but then they end up taking/sucking all the fun out of it...
And I'm not just talking about comic book films...but many and any type of genre films...

It's a difficult job to be able to have everybody involved buy into the world and the characters you're creating, and to take it seriously, but still know that in the end, they're there to entertain as well.

The Incredible Hulk
doesn't goof off or get all cheesy...even the few lines spoken by the Hulk were fine with me...because they could've just as easily made him some wise-cracking behemoth...but they don't...
But, in the end, Louis Letterier and his band of merry sapiens know that they are making a comic book movie...and that's exactly what I (a non comic reader, but a big comic film fan) could've asked for.

Where's this damn poll...?

At this point...a feel like anything less than a 9 would be PUNY!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:18 am

Great review Havster! Really want to see this.

We def need a new poll for the current Hulk film.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:22 am

WinslowLeach wrote:Great review Havster! Really want to see this.

Agreed! I scanned Havoc's review for fear of spoilage (I know, spoiler tags etc, but just in case)

WinslowLeach wrote:We def need a new poll for the current Hulk film.

Done.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:39 am

And now I voted...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:30 pm

Nice review havoc!

Is the poll closed or something? It doesn't appear that I can vote (it also only has one vote tallied) :?
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby buster00 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:55 pm

Did you stay through the end credits, Havoc? Is there a reason to?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:02 pm

Vegeta wrote:Nice review havoc!

Is the poll closed or something? It doesn't appear that I can vote (it also only has one vote tallied) :?

I just voted and it worked fine (of course, I haven't seen Hulk yet, so my vote for "0" is meaningless!)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:48 pm

so sorry wrote:
Vegeta wrote:Nice review havoc!

I just voted and it worked fine (of course, I haven't seen Hulk yet, so my vote for "0" is meaningless!)

Now it appears to be working... or maybe I didn't log in until I posted :?

Damn, this new and strange Phantom Zone!
*shakes fist at sky*
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby yorrick brown on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:28 pm

did anyone read this that was post on CHUD .COM?

[url]http://chud.com/articles/articles/15092/1/MAYBE-OBADIAH-STANE-IS-RUNNING-MARVEL/Page1.html
[/url]
*if you want to see a PR game being played out, read this article by Harry Knowles, where he pretends like Edward Norton doing a small amount of press for The Incredible Hulk discounts all of the absolutely true stories of behind the scenes trouble (and the fact that Norton is not happy with the theatrical cut of the film). The whole thing reads as grossly dishonest.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Flumm on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:06 pm

From down under but with his judging thumb the right way up , here chimes...

Latauro wrote:
The age-old argument of Ang Lee's HULK: love it or loathe it? It's a bit like the Jets and the Sharks, if the Jets were people who hated the film, and the Sharks were four guys standing in a corner trying not to advertise themselves too much. Though I haven't seen the first film since its cinema release -- and I'm well aware I could feel very differently about it if I were to watch it again -- I loved the hell out of it. I described it as a work of art at the time, and I stand by that

But it is what it is, and that is ANG LEE'S TOME ON THE SOUL OF MAN THAT'S STILL BETTER THAN LUST CAUTION. And that's fine. I love that take on Hulk, but I'm equally glad that we're getting the "proper" Marvel Hulk. One that will fit neatly into the current wave of Marvel movies that we're getting. That would be this one, then.

With lots of heavy SFX action, strong characters, and a healthy (but not overpowering) subtext, INCREDIBLE HULK stands proudly alongside IRON MAN. I was sceptical at those who were saying IH was just as good as IRON MAN, but it is. Almost. IRON MAN benefits from Stark's roguishness, his alcohol-swigging, womanising, smart-assery ways. That charisma knocked it up several notches, if for no other reason than a playboy with a wicked sense of humour was a nice change from the everyday-person-wrestling-with-inner-demons-and-new-powers storyline.

Not that there's not a lot left to be done with it. Norton's take on Bruce Banner is a little devoid of humour (I'll come back to that), but still captures the spirit of a man absolutely terrified of what's within himself. None of the inner demon themes from Ang Lee's HULK are abandoned, but they're definitely framed within a more lighthearted and actiony film. William Hurt makes for a terrific General Ross, Liv Tyler is solid (if a little underwritten) as Betty Ross, and Tim Roth is awesome as a soldier who feels his body is wearing out on him. I know nothing of the Abomination's history, but I like the counterpoint his character provides to Banner. If Banner is the man wrestling with his inner self, then Blonsky is the man wrestling with his outer body. That new element -- the physicality of these beasts being just as important as their mentality -- basically sums up what this new version is trying to do.

To touch on the humour point again, for some reason the jokes in this feel a little forced, like when a drama on TV decides it's time to lighten things up a bit, and suddenly writers and actors who clearly know nothing about comedy are squeezing schtick out every pore? Yes? No? Anyway, it's a bit like that. Not all the time, but a couple of moments everything just felt the tiniest bit awkward.

That's probably the only thing that didn't work for me. Everything else is so well-handled -- particularly the opening sequences with Banner trying very hard to control himself, the city-destroying fight, and, of course, the cameo-at-the-end-that-everyone-already-knows-about -- that I either need to now leave you with lots of spoilers, or simply a "go see it".

I will say this, though: if I felt underwhelmed by anything, it's that enormous glut of brilliant comic book films we're now presented with. Ten years ago, a film like this would be the only thing we would talk about. Now, it arrives alongside so many other contenders for the title of "Best Superhero Movie", that it's difficult not to feel just the smallest bit oversaturated. But hey, if that's the price we pay for an overabundance of quality, then so be it. I know I wouldn't have it any other way.

Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:10 pm

I think the best point made in the above is that this Hulk will by far fit in better with Marvel's future plans than Ang Lee's version ever could.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:30 pm

Great review, havoc! I can't wait to see this! :mrgreen:
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby yorrick brown on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:13 am

RogueScribner wrote:Great review, havoc! I can't wait to see this! :mrgreen:

heck yes,very well written.Dying to see this now.

edit

Louis Leterrier says fans can expect 70 MINUTES of Additional Footage on the INCREDIBLE HULK Blu-Ray DVD!

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/8173/tcid/1
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:01 am

I haven't been following this HULK film. But slowly my interest has grown. Then came the day when I knew I wanted to see this. But my theater is a gigantic pile of shit and they manage to let even movies like THE INCREDIBLE HULK slip through their fingers, so I was getting bummed that I wouldn't get to catch this on the big screen. I just checked the theater website and holy mother of fuck it's actually coming here! Thank you, you fucking douchebags!

Gonna watch Hulk smash some shit, pathos, etc.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:50 am

@Caruso
I feel your pain. I suffer from the same local shitty cinema syndrome, and they havent put this weekends listings up yet. I have a feeling they are gonna go with "The Happening" over the hulk, which will not make me happy!!

It has 2 screens, 1 a full sized classic cinema, the other a glorified living room with a 70inch screen. Heres to hoping they go with Hulk in the big one.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:36 am

buster00 wrote:Did you stay through the end credits, Havoc? Is there a reason to?

There was a good chunk of us who stayed just in case...

But the already discussed Downey cameo actually came right before the end credits...

There was nothing else after...

I heard the radio guy that was doing the hosting say after that "they must've moved it"
Which I'm assuming he means the Downey thing...not sure if he actually knows anything or not or just assumed it would play out like the Iron Man one...
Either way, if they did intend to have it after the credits, and moved it to its current location, it makes sense...

Even if people know there's something after the credits, they usually end up taking off, so at least this way, everybody can see it...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:38 am

I've been sick for the last couple of days, so I'm not sure whether I just dreamed this up in a delirious stupor, but I'm pretty sure I saw a commercial for The Incredible Hulk on the telly that gave away Downey's cameo.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:41 am

That was real. I saw it last night on TV. Its spoilerish but its still awesome that they're setting up the universe. Ive always wanted to see that happen.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:53 am

Yeah, I'm lucky I didn't catch that commercial before...
But it makes sense for a lot of reasons...

Mainly, because I think a lot of people are still leery about The Hulk...but so many people love/loved Iron Man, that Marvel/Universal decided to make sure the masses know the films are kinda connected...even though us Geeks already know...majority of the people I talk to are still a little confused at the situation...but I think it'll add to the curiosity and eventually allow Incredible Hulk to be a HUGE hit...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:58 am

havocSchultz wrote:Yeah, I'm lucky I didn't catch that commercial before...

Mainly, because I think a lot of people are still leery about The Hulk...but so many people love/loved Iron Man, that Marvel/Universal decided to make sure the masses know the films are kinda connected...even though us Geeks already know...majority of the people I talk to are still a little confused at the situation...but I think it'll add to the curiosity and eventually allow Incredible Hulk to be a HUGE hit...

No doubt the Tony Stark/Hulk commerical is directly intended to appeal to those who loved the Iron Man movie. And I think it was for the non-comic book crowd more than anything. We all know that the Hulk and Iron Man are connected in the Marvel Universe, but Joe Six-Pack who saw Iron Man and loved it, needs to be shown the connection.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:10 pm

so sorry wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:Yeah, I'm lucky I didn't catch that commercial before...

No doubt the Tony Stark/Hulk commerical is directly intended to appeal to those who loved the Iron Man movie. And I think it was for the non-comic book crowd more than anything. We all know that the Hulk and Iron Man are connected in the Marvel Universe, but Joe Six-Pack who saw Iron Man and loved it, needs to be shown the connection.

Exactly...
Which is also why I think that if they had originally planned to put it after the credits, why they moved it to just before the credits...
The Hulk ultimately needs a little more help than Iron Man...people didn't know what to expect from Iron Man, and they loved it...
With the bad taste the previous Hulk left in people's mouths, this one does need a bit more of a reason for them to go I guess...plus it's opening against M. Night's newest...so there you go...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:27 pm

havocSchultz wrote: it's opening against M. Night's newest...so there you go...

Speaking of leaving a bad taste in people's mouths. M. Night definitely has to overcome that hurtle.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:02 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
havocSchultz wrote: it's opening against M. Night's newest...so there you go...

Speaking of leaving a bad taste in people's mouths. M. Night definitely has to overcome that hurtle.

Yeah, I like how they picked Friday the 13th to launch 2 movies that're somehow hoping for some good luck...

ETA: Either way though, I have both films picked in my Fantasy Moguls competition, so it should work out either way...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby hackett on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:37 pm

great review... can't wait to read more
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:18 am

Ok, so the big question Havoc...does the Hulk actually say HULK SMASH!?!?!?

Oh and Capwn's review is up on the front page now...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37068
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby hackett on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:40 am

Capone sold me that this is a rental more than a front row.
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:38 am

Heyoucantlaughatthat wrote:Ok, so the big question Havoc...does the Hulk actually say HULK SMASH!?!?!?

Yes...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:42 am

hackett wrote:Capone sold me that this is a rental more than a front row.

I hope you have a huge ass TV and a killer setup...
Cause even if it's not as good as I think it may be, it's still worth a peep on the biggest screen possible...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:48 am

Capone's is the first review I've seen that didn't praise the movie, so it's not enough to scare me off. In comparison, Indy 4 had a lot of mixed reviews going into its opening (though most were generally favorable). I definitely wanted to wait for DVD for that one and really wish I had.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby buster00 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:41 am

IT ROCKS. They did it right this time. SOOOO much better than Ang Lee's Hulk.

A bit video-gamey at points, but worth the money. Go. GO!

Delivers exactly what you want out of a summertime superhero movie. 9/10.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:42 am

Caught this yesterday. Thought it was a lot of fun. I liked the Ang Lee Hulk, but I'd have to say this is a better comic book movie. The cast all round is very good, with the possible exception lf Liv Tyler, though I think that's mostly the fault of the script. Considering that she is introduced as Banner's partner in the Gamma experiment that goes wrong, she seems very passive and unopinionated when it comes to Banner seeking a cure for his condition. Still, I think she and Norton have better chemistry than Eric Bana and Jennifer Connelly had.

For me, the stand out performance is Tim Roth as Blonsky. The movies version of Blonsky is Russian born but raised in UK, so Roth gets to use his own accent. He plays a man who just loves being a soldier. And not the noble 'only fights to protect his country' type, but the type that takes pride in the fact that he is a skilled and effective killing machine. No matter who he's on screen with at any given moment, he looks like he is trying to figure out how many ways there are to kill that person. His transition from Blonsky to The Abomination feels very natural as he finds that there might be something out there that he cannot kill and seems to take that as a personal insult.

Louis Leterrier makes the transition from directing the martial arts type action of the Transporter movies to the CGI action of a superhero flick very well. He even handles the quieter character moments well, so I'd have no problem with him coming back to direct more Hulk action in the future. In fact, I'm curious as to whether Marvel are trying to use the possibility of Leterrier taking over Iron Man as a negociating stick in their contract talks with Jon Favreau.

I'd give this a 8/10 overall, and I look forward geeking out and wathing this and Iron Man back to back when they come out on DVD.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:12 am

RogueScribner wrote: I definitely wanted to wait for DVD for that one and really wish I had.

This confuses me. Do you mean renting it?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby hackett on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:52 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
hackett wrote:Capone sold me that this is a rental more than a front row.

I hope you have a huge ass TV and a killer setup...
Cause even if it's not as good as I think it may be, it's still worth a peep on the biggest screen possible...

Actually i have an Epson HD projector in my backyard.
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:02 pm

I don't know what it is about Jimmy Kimmel, maybe he's just a way more likable guy in real life than all of the other late night talk show hosts. I never found him that funny, but for some reason celebrities are flocking to his show.

Whatever it is, Edward Norton chose Kimmel Live to finally promote the Hulk, which he hasn't been doing due to the friction between him and Marvel. Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne3YC339myg

The short pudgy guy in the green is one of Kimmel's security guards named Guillermo...
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:45 pm

Great stuff. Classic Mr. Norton too.

"Ahhhhh you hurt my belly!!!"
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:10 pm

This was killer good. Best use of thunderclapever.

Marvel is making a habit of these cool last minute saves: Nightcrawler saves Rogue, Iron Man saving the ejected pilot, and now this thunderclapmoment. Everyone in the theater applauded. It was that righteous.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:18 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
RogueScribner wrote: I definitely wanted to wait for DVD for that one and really wish I had.

This confuses me. Do you mean renting it?

yes
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:23 pm

Just got back from seeing it...

I've always liked the Bruce/Betty part of the Hulk story because it's pure reciprocated love that just can't be and for me the film pretty much nailed that, Norton & Tyler did fine and had a little more sexual chemistry than Bana & Connelly did but not a lot more, however I found Lee managed to create more touching moments with the Hulk/Betty dynamic (In particular the final moment of the San Francisco sequence) but the Director handled the drama elements well (especially well considering he's an Action Director). The Character of General "Thunderbolt" Ross was completely different from Lee's version, in Lee's he was more sympathetic, he was a father trying to protect his daughter and the world from the Hulk, here he's more interested in harnessing the Hulks power for himself, it's different but I preferred Lee's Thunderbolt and although Hurt did fine Elliott did better for me (plus he's a hell of a lot more Gruff and has tonnes more charisma as an actor). Roth as Blonsky worked brilliantly, I got the character and his motivations and really he's the star of the show.

The action however is pretty damn poor and un-inventive, I think there were only a couple of moments that made me smile, those involved the Hulk throwing people into stationary objects, the sonic cannons, the boxing gloves and the HULK CLAP. The final fight was over before it even got going and was a pure CGI crapfest that lacked tension and a sense of danger/peril.

This version of The Hulk was far from Incredible, he didn't show even nearly enough raw anger and aggression, he didn't seem strong enough to me, in Lee's Hulk he can toss a tank like it was a cardboard box, here he has to strain to flip a Hummer. In retrospect the Hulk that gets bigger and stronger the angrier he gets makes a lot more sense.

Both incarnations of The Hulk are flawed, Lee's takes too long to get going, has a batshit crazy second ending and leaves you wanting more HULK SMASH! This version is more safe, more by the numbers, it's a safer movie to make for the masses but ultimately it's nowhere near as interesting, Lee managed to create a brilliantly flawed Comic Book FILM, Louis Leterrier and the Marvel suits have successfully created a good but not very memorable Comic Book MOVIE.

The main reason people wanted to see more HULK SMASH in Lee's Hulk was because he did it so well, here you get a load of it but it's just nowhere near as exciting or effective, sometimes less is more. The Sequence in Lee's Hulk starting in the underground military base and ending in San Francisco remains the most faithful and brilliant sequence in any Comic Book to Film adaptation IMO.

So in closing the film is okay, the drama works, the actors do fine, the score is nice & the cameo's are cool but the actual Hulk seemed like a bit of a pussy to me.

5/10 but I'd still look forward to future instalments.

SPOILERS

When Hulk finally said "HULK SMASH!" it was shit, he didn't sound like the Hulk and it was more like "HULK............. SMASH!" and all he did was smash the ground, really disappointing. Also as much as I can understand them not wanting to have this Hulk being capable of doing super leaps I really missed it, at least they had him doing the clap though.

Fans of The Wire should also look out from a non speaking, blink and you'll miss it cameo from Omar when Abomination starts to fuck shit up in NYC.

Can anyone who's seen it tell me the running time of the film, I was expecting 114 minutes but at my screening the credits started to roll after about 100 minutes so either the credits are really bloody long, the IMDB has bad info or part of a reel was missing (I was expecting a scene between Banner & Dr. Samson, I mean it was in the bloody trailer).
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby darthevilbob on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:26 pm

I thought I'd spotted a viral piece of marketing in the film, when banner emails :

sst3rns62@grayburncollege.net

however it doesn't appear to do anything if you email it?

dang..
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:36 pm

Its more about the characters for me. I know I'll like the characters more in this version just by seeing clips of the movie. Ang Lee's was way too much CGI/comic book split screen panel junk over substance. And the substance it did have was shitty. How can I like a movie when I hate the characters? Maybe if the cast or story was different with better characters I wouldve loved it. Im more of a fan of the 70s TV show too. I like that aspect of the new storyline instead of the whole Nick Nolte (aka the haggard psycho asshole) plot in Ang Lee's film. I can tell this one is better, regardless of how strong Hulk is. Its not even about how strong he is, its about believing/liking the characters first. That will make the difference for me.

Like Ed said this is about bringing the franchise up from the cellar. As far as Im concerned Ang Lee's Hulk was like Joel Schumacher's Batman movies. Louis Letterier's film is like Batman Begins.

Another thing is, these films are supposed to be continuing stories. I cant even imagine watching an Ang Lee Hulk 2. There has to be some franchise aspect to it. Id much rather see a toned down Hulk that cant throw tanks or jump 500 feet into the air sharing the screen with other Marvel heroes.
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:58 pm

Don't get me wrong man, I liked the movie, the characterisation particularly but for me the action was just really lacking.

I wanted to like it more than I eventually did but at least I didn't make my mind up before I actually saw the film.

It's a good bit of popcorn fun but I vastly preferred Ang Lee's version, warts and all.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:01 pm

Im actually seeing it tonite, but if I hated Ang Lee's film, how can I NOT like this one more? Its not gonna be tough to do.

Theres ALOT of warts on Ang Lee's film. Thats for sure. It shouldve been called The Wart! :lol:

But anyways Im not gonna keep arguing with you on this Johnny. I know you liked Angs film alot. I didnt. Its old news. I just want to enjoy this movie more and I THINK I will. I'll let you know.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darthevilbob on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:18 pm

I watched this tonight, enjoyed it for what it was - a good popcorn flick.

Seemed a little aimless at times, and the cameos seemed to be little over the top - but still a nice touch to see this comic world.

I hated Ang Lee's version, I think other people (on this board) must have watched some different film to me - it had it's moment's but for the most part it just didn't appeal to me (mutant poodles and Nick Nolte ruined the whole film - and the daft subplot about his father...shudder..)

I thought the betty/banner love thingy was good but they could have lasted a bit longer to re-unite them. I also liked the idea of the fugitive type film, and this would have been better to go in that sort of direction for longer.

The film also seemed a little short to me?
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:30 pm

Anybody else seen this?
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:53 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Anybody else seen this?

It's an invasion of giant cylons, apparently!

The plot and the dialogue were a little cheesy -- the fact that this is most fanboys' general idea of a "dream movie" is what scares me about this brave new crossover-laden world -- but the animation was pretty impressive, especially if it was homemade.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:58 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Anybody else seen this?

It's an invasion of giant cylons, apparently!

The plot and the dialogue were a little cheesy -- the fact that this is most fanboys' general idea of a "dream movie" is what scares me about this brave new crossover-laden world -- but the animation was pretty impressive, especially if it was homemade.

Yeah, I really dug the animation. And Hulk seemed in his element!
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion