The Incredible Hulk!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

The Incredible Hulk!!

No votes
19%
28%
33%
11%
3%
No votes
3%
3%
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 36

Re: THE INCREDIBLE HULK (Now w/ Fight Clips!)

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:01 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Yeah, I really dug the animation. And Hulk seemed in his element!

I did like the fact that he was really affectionate towards the puppy caught in the fray, that seemed like a nice touch.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:08 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Yeah, I really dug the animation. And Hulk seemed in his element!

I did like the fact that he was really affectionate towards the puppy caught in the fray, that seemed like a nice touch.

Brought a smile to this face, anyway :D
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:21 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Anybody else seen this?

It looks exactly like the animation from the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance video game cutscenes, which were rendered beautifully. But this wasn't in the game, and I don't know who had the time to do it. It wasn't just some guy working out of his basement.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:23 pm

It was Chaka Khan!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:02 am

I don't know if anyone here uses Hulu, but if you don't, you should. They have season 1 of The Incredible Hulk TV series for those who want to see it for the first time or re-experience it's corny goodness.

http://www.hulu.com/the-incredible-hulk
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:29 am

I've been avoiding this thread to avoid spoilers, so if this has been posted, I apologize.

Norton Hulking out on Kimmel.

http://www.joblo.com/video/player.php?video=GMO-HULK
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:06 am

Heyoucantlaughatthat wrote:I don't know if anyone here uses Hulu, but if you don't, you should. They have season 1 of The Incredible Hulk TV series for those who want to see it for the first time or re-experience it's corny goodness.

http://www.hulu.com/the-incredible-hulk

I have it on DVD. I think its one of the best sci-fi TV shows ever made. I love that show alot.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:52 am

GODFUCKINGDAMNIT!

I LOVED, LOVED, LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVEEEEEED this fucking movie!

This is a GODDAMN HULK film!

Its everything that a Hulk Movie should be! Its just what a marvel movie should be.

Ed Norton kicks ass! Liv Tyler..yum. Tim Roth fucking excellent! William Hurt..perfect! Tim Blake Nelson, wow!

The Sheild set nods. The Stark cameo, the Captain America nods.

and the HULK! FUCK ME SIDEWAYS WITH A SPOON DO I LOVE THIS HULK. This is THE HULK. Ang Lee's Hulk was not the Marvel Hulk. THIS is THE marvel hulk. Not a 15 foot giant with Daddy Issues. No, this is pissed off, FUCK YOU Hulk. THIS IS HULK SMASH Hulk! The fight was Abomination was one of the best Hero v Villain fights on the big screen in a LOOONG fucking time!

and on a side note, Let me say that I loved the fact that the Abomination DIDNT die. I do enjoy when they let a villian live, unlike most of these other Super Hero films that kill off the bad guy..

Just a goddamn fucking excellent movie. I cant wait till Sunday to see it again!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:30 am

darthevilbob wrote:I watched this tonight, enjoyed it for what it was - a good popcorn flick.

Seemed a little aimless at times, and the cameos seemed to be little over the top - but still a nice touch to see this comic world.

I hated Ang Lee's version, I think other people (on this board) must have watched some different film to me - it had it's moment's but for the most part it just didn't appeal to me (mutant poodles and Nick Nolte ruined the whole film - and the daft subplot about his father...shudder..)

I thought the betty/banner love thingy was good but they could have lasted a bit longer to re-unite them. I also liked the idea of the fugitive type film, and this would have been better to go in that sort of direction for longer.

The film also seemed a little short to me?

There's apparently a rumored 70 extra minutes or so that's gonna be included on the DVD...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:40 am

havocSchultz wrote:
darthevilbob wrote:I watched this tonight, enjoyed it for what it was - a good popcorn flick.

Seemed a little aimless at times, and the cameos seemed to be little over the top - but still a nice touch to see this comic world.

I hated Ang Lee's version, I think other people (on this board) must have watched some different film to me - it had it's moment's but for the most part it just didn't appeal to me (mutant poodles and Nick Nolte ruined the whole film - and the daft subplot about his father...shudder..)

I thought the betty/banner love thingy was good but they could have lasted a bit longer to re-unite them. I also liked the idea of the fugitive type film, and this would have been better to go in that sort of direction for longer.

The film also seemed a little short to me?

There's apparently a rumored 70 extra minutes or so that's gonna be included on the DVD...

yeah, but that is leftover footage from "American History X".......

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:42 am

"Eddie thats a great punch" = AWESOME

I loved how it built tension from the very start. Great way to pull the audience in right away.

After Bill Bixby, Ed Norton IS Banner. Its EXACTLY how hes supposed to be, kind of reserved, but likeable and very intelligent. PERFECT casting on this. He even looks like him from the comics. I think one of the main reasons I like the movie is because Im a fan of Mr Norton. Im not an Eric Bana fan. So that makes a big difference too.

This one is the REAL Hulk film. The only one for me. Its what I wanted from the beginning. Thanks Mr Norton, Louis & Co.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:18 pm

'Don't make me...hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm...hungry.'

HULK GOTS TO EAT!!

That laugh-out-loud moment aside, this really stands up as a great action movie. Plenty of punch, excitement and well thought out set pieces lend a great deal of energy to the film that Ang Lee's (misunderstood) Hulk was lacking. Good casting, good score, good effects - it all combines to deliver a truly fun and action packed outing for our favourite green guy. Loved the arrival of Stark at the climax of the flick too. 4/5
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:37 pm

A couple of you guys have said that the Hulk in this movie isn't all that strong.

WTF?? The Hulk is supposed to be ridiculously, over-the-top strong! He's always being called the strongest being in the Marvel universe! So why would Marvel themselves produce a movie with a weak Hulk?

I mean, sure, his base level of strength should be less than the Abomination's, but as he gets madder, because the Abomination is kicking his ass, he should get stronger. Does that happen in this film?

I'm kind of unsure about whether I want to watch this now, if Marvel is undermining their own character.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:02 pm

Theres alot of stuff I want to talk about but I dont want to spoil. How does this work?

The Abomination was a big ugly wuss ;)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:19 pm

minstrel wrote:A couple of you guys have said that the Hulk in this movie isn't all that strong.

WTF?? The Hulk is supposed to be ridiculously, over-the-top strong! He's always being called the strongest being in the Marvel universe! So why would Marvel themselves produce a movie with a weak Hulk?

I mean, sure, his base level of strength should be less than the Abomination's, but as he gets madder, because the Abomination is kicking his ass, he should get stronger. Does that happen in this film?

I'm kind of unsure about whether I want to watch this now, if Marvel is undermining their own character.

Yeah he's a pussy, he almost cries after banging his head on a rock at one point, gets cut and doesn't heal immediately and just doesn't seem as powerful as he should do. I wish I waited for it on DVD, Ang Lee's Hulk would mop the floor with this one.

The actual story and characters are on the whole more faithful to the source than Lee's film though and it set's it up nicely for future instalments so it's got that going for it.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby instant_karma on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:47 pm

minstrel wrote:A couple of you guys have said that the Hulk in this movie isn't all that strong.

Was the Hulk's rapid healing and his strength increasing as he gets more pissed off always a feature of the character, or something that was added to his powers later on?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:53 pm

I also dont agree that as Hulk gets angrier he should get bigger. Thats not necessary for him to be a great character. I thought The Hulk in this version was much better. Although as far as the actual Hulk, this one and Ang Lee's were pretty close I thought personality wise. But I liked the look of this one more. It just came off better.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:17 pm

instant_karma wrote:

Was the Hulk's rapid healing and his strength increasing as he gets more pissed off always a feature of the character, or something that was added to his powers later on?

I think it was added in the late 80's that his strength and power increased with his anger..
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:34 pm

Nah the Hulk isn't meant to get bigger the angrier he gets (that was an Ang Lee creation) but he should get stronger.

I think the design of this Hulk is better/closer than Lee's Hulk (apart from being way too veiny) but the rendering/execution was worse. Lee's Hulk suffered from looking like a big green baby (face wise) at times and the shade of green was always the same regardless of lighting but he looked a lot more photo realistic even if the colouring was off. In the new one in the scene with Betty and the Hulk in the cave there is a shot which has Betty and Hulk face to face only it looked like the Hulk image was a lot closer to the camera because they gave the Hulk shot no depth. Also there were a lot of instances where Hulks face looked cheaply rendered and blurred (usually when he was full of anger) and almost had a cartoon quality to it.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:41 pm

Now we're getting nitpicky. OK both films had their CGI flaws, but when it comes to characters, plot, pacing, Marvel Universe/70s Tv show references & overall mood Ill take the latest Hulk over Ang Lee's. Lee's was just too psychologically depressing with some of the most hateful, unlikeable characters Ive seen in a movie. Super heroes should never have movies that are too dark and down (Batman Begins was dark but not depressing). There should be a constant fight to keep that at bay. Ang Lee's Hulk felt like an abused child story. I dont wanna watch that in THE HULK!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: THE INCREDIBLE HULK

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:49 pm

The only CGI flaws in Lee's Hulk are the choice of design (which wasn't close enough to the comic books for me) and the colouration. Other than that he looked photo real the whole time and was perfectly rendered. With this Hulk you can tell they didn't want to spend as much money on the Hulk CGI.

Nitpicking maybe but still valid.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:51 pm

BUT in the end the CGI doesnt really matter because the live characters were more important to make it all work. Maybe the next one will be even better CGI wise. At least theres gonna be a sequel (s).
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:00 pm

Hopefully there will be better action and less clichés too.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:52 pm

John-Locke wrote:Nah the Hulk isn't meant to get bigger the angrier he gets (that was an Ang Lee creation) but he should get stronger.

The best addition to the character outside of the comics. There's no logic in the sci-fi premise of a man growing only a certain size larger but gaining near infinite constantly escalating strength without any change in mass.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:24 pm

It's a decent actioner, with a lot of action and many parts containing action sequences.

ACTION

It kept us tuned in to the story for the 90 minutes and we didn't feel short changed - you get the Hulk being Hulk, with some Banner calmer moments.

I'm in two minds about whether it's better than Don't Make Me Ang Lee, but then they are quite different types of movie. They played the TV Hulk piano theme so +1 for that at least.

PS - Does anyone else not like William Hurt in anything, or is it just me?

PPS - Did he actually kill the Blonsky at the end there or just render him unconcious?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:48 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
PPS - Did he actually kill the Blonsky at the end there or just render him unconcious?

Just left him semi unconscious, for a second there I thought he was gonna rip his head off with the chain but he pussied out. I like how Betty stopped him from doing it and he just leaves, leaving the threat of the Abomination behind to carry on wreaking mayhem once he's regained a little strength. No way would the military be able to capture and contain that thing. Completely ridiculous.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:35 pm

See I thought one of two options

1. Hulk kills Blonsky, but Betty stops him from the beheading (but then that would seem a bit odd)
2. Hulk just knocks him out and Betty stops him from going too far and killing him. (but then that would seem a illogical, still leaving Blonsky as a threat to everyone)

Another thing - is one to assume that Tim Blake Nelson is dead, or is he making a comeback in a sequel as another Gamma mutant?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:37 pm

the Tim Blake Nelson character will become The Leader, that little green guy with the massive head
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby buster00 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:38 pm

John-Locke wrote:...and it set's it up nicely for future instalments so it's got that going for it.

Approve.

And we'd might as well bring back Blonsky, while we're at it.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:41 pm

It was a shame we didn't get to directly see what Gamma-powers Stan Lee got.

Perhaps it was just giant green balls and they thought better than to show it in a 12A movie.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:45 pm

Yeah that pissed me off too. Was a cool cameo though, Stan Lee's best yet
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:00 pm

As was Lou Ferrigno's.

Although apparently he also voiced the Hulk too.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:02 pm

Yeah and he sounded nothing like him.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby yorrick brown on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:01 pm

so at the end banner can control the hulk?.like he can transfrom when ever he wants to?
Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby buster00 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:43 pm

yorrick brown wrote:so at the end banner can control the hulk?.like he can transfrom when ever he wants to?

To be continued...

Depending on the box office numbers, of course...
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:43 am

Here's an interesting read, courtesy of SlashFilm:

The Truth About Edward Norton vs. Marvel.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:13 am

I liked The Incredible Hulk, but I didn't love it. For all the charm and eye candy this movie possessed, it didn't quite have enough heart. I really felt like there should have been more with Banner dealing with his predicament, we should have gotten inside his head more, we should have seen him bottomed out. I know he had moments like that in Brazil, but that was in the first act. Things seemed to move a bit quickly from when he went to visit the doctor with the serum and the final act fight between the Hulk and the Abomination. I wanted more Banner! That being said, I don't have anything really bad to say about the movie. It was fun. I really liked Norton in the role. I thought he and Tyler had more chemistry than Bana and Connelly. There were moments of humor throughout, but not stupid or cheesy bits, so it kept things moving. I think they may have made Ross too much of an asshole, but I thought Hurt did a good job with what he was given. Roth was excellent, if underused towards the end. I didn't really notice the musical score, save for the piano motif. After reading about some of the bits cut from the film, I'm really curious to see the longer cut. I think it might be the film I'm looking for.

Ang Lee's Hulk tried to have its cake and eat it too. On the surface, it was a crazy comic book movie with panels, wipes, transitions, and vibrant action sequences. But the foundation for it was a depressing and, frankly, one-note exploration of abused-child syndrome where everyone's problems robbed them of any personality at all. Everyone save for Nick Nolte who seemed to be in his own movie and the final act of Lee's film was incomprehensible. Lee's film started as a slow burn but I honestly believe if his third act stuck the landing people would have liked it more. The desert chase left the audience with such a high, but that was never achieved again for the remainder of the film. Instead, it devolved into an off-Broadway performance piece about a crumbling father-son dynamic that culminated in the biggest amorphous incomprehensible cgi blob of a climax in Hollywood history. Lee's film ultimately suffered from taking itself too seriously. It's possible to take the work seriously without sucking all of the fun out of it, and The Incredible Hulk demonstrated that muchly. I just wish they weren't afraid of putting it all out there and, in the end, just going for the mass appeal. Still, it's a pretty fun popcorn movie and a good Hulk movie probably isn't meant to be more than that.

7/10
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:33 am

Saw it yesterday, and it was very good. Wasn't as good as Iron Man, but I think the action in Hulk was the most fun out of the majority of Superhero movies that have become before, because the Hulk's action was just mindless pummeling. I really like mindless pummeling.

And I also like the scene where "HULK THROW ROK AT LITENING BECOZ LITENING MAKE LOWD NOIZ AND MITE HURT BETTY"! See that was supposed to be the Hulk typing. But that scene was good to show what a protective and nurturing creature the Hulk is.

Norton's performance was pretty good, but I actually thought the best acted scenes were between Betty and her A-Hole dad. Ferigno's cameo was cool, I saw him at comic-con a couple years back, and he really is just massive. I liked Stan Lee's too because it was a more important role than he had played before. Maybe he should play Thor.

The Stark cameo made me geekgasm even though I knew it was coming. Setting up Tim Blake Nelson as the Leader was pretty cool, and I didn't know until I looked at imdb that Betty's other boyfriend was Doc Samson.

A very good not great movie, but a sequel would be cool. Marvel should get to steppin' on Captain America and Thor's movie's too if they want to meet the 2011 Avenger's deadline.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:37 am

I took it that Sterns' experiment meshed with Banners unique body chemistry gave him the power to change when he wants, hence his smile at the end AS he meditates.

I loved Lou's cameo too. What Ed says to him was a nice nod/wink moment.

Ang Lees Hulk was a flashy but heavily flawed experiment. Letterier's was a more traditional super hero movie. Thats how I see it. Now do I appreciate highly stylized movies? Hell Yes. But again, you still have to do them right. Ang Lee's Hulk was just wrong. It COULD have been awesome I think, but he just missed the mark.

In the end I want a Hulk movie that doesnt rely on multiple comic book style split screens & tons of CGI. Its gotta have heart and a warmth. The latest one does. I think it was made in the tradition of Bill Bixby's portrayal too, which as a huge fan of the TV series I greatly appreciated.
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:46 am

WinslowLeach wrote:I took it that Sterns' experiment meshed with Banners unique body chemistry gave him the power to change when he wants, hence his smile at the end AS he meditates.

Yeah...or that, over time, he has mastered the Brazilian martial arts guy's techniques.

How is it that Banner survived the fall from the helicopter?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:49 am

Fried Gold wrote:
WinslowLeach wrote:I took it that Sterns' experiment meshed with Banners unique body chemistry gave him the power to change when he wants, hence his smile at the end AS he meditates.

Yeah...or that, over time, he has mastered the Brazilian martial arts guy's techniques.

Yeah the Martial Arts technique mustve helped too.

Im not sure on the helicopter one. Maybe it happens right after he hit the ground because the pain made him angry?
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:09 am

Fried Gold wrote:Yeah...or that, over time, he has mastered the Brazilian martial arts guy's techniques.

Yeah, Bill Bixby's Hulk Died from a helicopter fall.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:11 am

HEY! Thats right! I totally forgot about that!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:13 am

He didn't die from the fall...

He died from the hitting of the pavement after the fall...

Just like I'm not afraid of heights...
I'm afraid of ending up back on the ground from said heights...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:31 am

Just like how guns don't kill; the bullets do.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:42 am

"Guns dont kill people, COPS kill people" - Chong
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:46 am

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:52 am

Interesting. I think I would rather have a storyline where Bruce can control his changing into The Hulk and unofficially joins The Avengers. Why would Hulk change from good to bad? Doesnt make sense. That would actually make The Avengers like Emil Blonsky. We want The Hulk to be a hero dont we?
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:01 am

The Hulk isn't good or bad, he's always been grey. What is good and bad anyways? The formation of the Avengers for the express purpose of controlling the Hulk is a plausible scenario. I don't even see a movie about reigning in the Hulk being more than half an hour,s o if Marvel does go that route, there will probably be a larger threat presented that the Hulk could in some capacity assist in.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:14 am

Now that I think of it, thats what Tony Stark is talking about putting the team together for. Theyre going to try to capture The Hulk. So I guess thats whats gonna happen. Then after they capture him another greater threat will happen and Banner will be brought in to help the guys fight *BLANK* the REAL villain.

I want to see one shot of all The Avengers (including Hulk) standing together. That will be awesome.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion