Page 1 of 4

Left to one's own interpretation...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:01 am
by DinoDeLaurentiis
Alla the talk about a the Johnny Carpenter got a the Dino thinkin' about a the ending to a the Thing... alla you geeks a discuss, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:09 am
by Pacino86845
"Ey, Don Da Jewla, you wanna see a beautiful ting? C'm'ere, I show you a beautiful ting."
"What, dat? Dat ain't no beautiful ting, dat's a fugazi."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:21 am
by John-Locke
I actually watched The Thing with the Commentary from John and Kurt the other day. The whole point is that you might not even know if you were the Thing, so Kurt destroying the Saucer etc might not necessarily be proof that he's not an alien. I don't know, I like to think they did their job properly and were willing to die to ensure humanity's survival?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:28 am
by WinslowLeach
I dont'a know-a who-a da TING issa, but I do-a know-a one thing-a I LOVE-A DISSA MOOVIE!

The end of The Thing is pretty bleak, one of the bleakest endings Ive seen in a movie and it rules. The Thing is John Carpenter's best film IMO. Its a sci fi-horror masterpiece from beginning to end. I ts 100X better than the Hawks/Nyby version. Its like Carpenter watched that version, said "you know all the boring filler talking shit in the movie? I'm gonna throw that shit right out and make a fast paced, paranoid, suspenseful horrorific gore fest.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:47 am
by DinoDeLaurentiis
Now hold onna there, a Winslow! Donna be a dissing the Hawks/Nyby version. Back inna day, it had it's a good points, no? It was a one a the first a movies to have alla the people talkin' atta the same a time, a saying they a lines over each a other. They was a trying a to make it a seem more frantic anna real. You gotta remember, inna those days, Cary Grant, he a say his line, anna then Ingrid Bergman, she a say her line, anna then Cary Grant, he a say his line... Nowadays, everybody talkin' atta the same time alla the time, so kids a these days, they alla jaded about a the classico flicks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:48 am
by PVIII
Is the Thing worth renting? Never seen it.

PVIII

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:53 am
by John-Locke
You are shitting me right?

Haven't seen "The Thing" one of the greatest horror films of all time, Definately in my Top 10 Horrors, Don't rent it, Buy it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:54 am
by DinoDeLaurentiis
Dino a scold you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:16 pm
by PVIII
To tell the truth, I'm not much into horror. Never have been. I mean, I liked the Shinning...that's about it. Is there a SE of the Thing out? I don't buy barebones DVD's.

PVIII

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:24 pm
by so sorry
hey PVII, yes there is a special edition out there. I'm not a horror fan either, but The Thing is spec-fucking-tacular. I suggest it be your next purchase...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:57 pm
by cockknocker
Yeah the Thing is an awesome film, I agree it is Carpenters best work. Rob Bottin's work in that film is amazing. If that film was made today it would be cgi overload and completely unbelievable.

Carpenter has often talked about a sequel but universal wont let him do it. Frankly though that's probably for the best IMHO considering some of his recent output.

Did any of you guys play the game that came out a couple of years ago? Is it any good?

Just to swing slightly more on topic... I love the fact the ending is ambiguos and has been LEFT that way. Ridley Scott annoyed me like hell when he said Dekard is a replicant, just let us decide for ourselves ok?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:24 pm
by so sorry
Deckard is a replicant?? what the fuck?!?!? I never played the game. And i completely agree taht the ambiguous ending is near perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:25 pm
by DinoDeLaurentiis
So Sorry, a you being serious? Or are you a making with a the funny?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:26 pm
by Man-in-the-Box
I hadn't heard that about Ridley Scott. I like the not knowing feeling and that kind of screws it up for me. Damn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:30 pm
by DinoDeLaurentiis
Waitaminnit.... the Dino, he's inna the shock! I thought alla you guys knew Harry was a the robot guy! You guys are a losing your geek-a-cred, iffa you know what I mean, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:34 pm
by Man-in-the-Box
I left thinking he was, but it was kind of left up to the audience to decide for themselves, and that's the way I liked it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:39 pm
by so sorry
Sorry Dino, I didn't know the replicant/deckard thing. I like Blade Runner, but its not high on my list, and i've only watched it a handful of times. also, I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:04 pm
by John-Locke
In so sorrys' defence I never realised Deckard is a replicant the first couple of times I saw it (aged between 8-12 on 4:3 TV edit) mainly because he seemed to feel pain and I guess I never really thought about it.

When I got the Directors Cut on VHS when I was about 16-17 I realised my complacency but it's easily done.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:19 pm
by WinslowLeach
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Now hold onna there, a Winslow! Donna be a dissing the Hawks/Nyby version. Back inna day, it had it's a good points, no? It was a one a the first a movies to have alla the people talkin' atta the same a time, a saying they a lines over each a other. They was a trying a to make it a seem more frantic anna real. You gotta remember, inna those days, Cary Grant, he a say his line, anna then Ingrid Bergman, she a say her line, anna then Cary Grant, he a say his line... Nowadays, everybody talkin' atta the same time alla the time, so kids a these days, they alla jaded about a the classico flicks!


Oh Im not dissing the Thing From Another World, I'm just saying by Carp condensing the story and using the paranoia aspect it made the film so much better than the original. Hawks' rapid dialogue style was great, but I liked it alot more in his other films like Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday and Rio Bravo.

Salud Don Dino!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:37 pm
by DinoDeLaurentiis
Both a versions, they was a product of a the times, no?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:51 pm
by burlivesleftnut
The Thing by JC owns my stupid fucking soil. Any movie where Wilford Brimley gets to shoot at people, beat up stuff with an axe, and then stick his tentacled hand deep inside someone's mouth has my vote for best movie of all times!

AND good porn to boot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:32 pm
by cockknocker
burlivesleftnut wrote:The Thing by JC owns my stupid fucking soil. Any movie where Wilford Brimley gets to shoot at people, beat up stuff with an axe, and then stick his tentacled hand deep inside someone's mouth has my vote for best movie of all times!

AND good porn to boot.


How do you feel about Hard Target Burl?

"Oooh wee! Ha ha, Sometimes I 'maze myself! Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear! "

Blade Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:59 pm
by Keepcoolbutcare
What's the definitive proof in Blade Runner that Deckard is a replicant? I understand the ambiguity, but what about the movie makes you say he positively is one?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:06 pm
by burlivesleftnut
cockknocker wrote:How do you feel about Hard Target Burl?


I have an aversion to anything mullet related.

Re: Blade Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:39 pm
by cockknocker
keepcoolbutcare wrote:What's the definitive proof in Blade Runner that Deckard is a replicant? I understand the ambiguity, but what about the movie makes you say he positively is one?


Well i still think its debatable if you disregard what Mr Scott has said. I haven't watched the film for years though (still patiently waiting for a decent dvd edition to come out before i watch it again). I personally always think of Dekard as human, but i like the debate surrounding the whole thing.

Burl, ah well fair enuff, guess you dont like the work of art that is Dinos Red Sonja either then.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:44 pm
by burlivesleftnut
Replicant Issue: Anyone else totally bored with Blade Runner?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:50 pm
by so sorry
Replicant Issue: I like blade runner, but I do find it sloooow at times. But I guess that for its time, it was pretty groudbreaking, visually and content wise (did that sentance make any sense?).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:35 am
by Agent Alonzo
I love that movie to death, I want to spend a long weekend in a cheap motel in Cleveland with it...

On top of everything else it has such a damn fine script, beautifully crafted, with some superb dialogue.
My favorite quote...

know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!

JC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:43 am
by Coldfire24
The Thing is a masterpiece. That movie is one of the main reasons I became a geek. That movie ages like a fine wine. If you haven't seen it you need to.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:53 am
by PVIII
Well I got the DVD yesterday. Only 14.99 for the nifty looking collector's edition from best buy. I'll watch it sometime in the next week.

PVIII

Left to one's own interpretation...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:29 pm
by Chairman Kaga
One I have been pondering over the last couple of days refers to the new Kong. Does Jimmy die in the movie? He is in the same boat as Driscoll that gets smashed across the rocks and Jack is shown in the water holding onto him but nothing seems to indicate one way or the other. He doesn't appear past this point and there is seemingly no mention of him in the third act is it because he is dead or because he ran off after getting back to NY for whatever reason?
Do you think what film makers say outisde of the confines of the film should "count" when discussing these ambiguous bits here or there?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:31 pm
by Pacino86845
No, it's clearly mentioned that Jimmy became a crack dealer in NY.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:32 pm
by TonyWilson
Twelve Monkeys, great great ending, Cole failed but what does that final conversation on the plane mean?

Re: Left to one's own interpretation..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:32 pm
by burlivesleftnut
I think in the case of Jimmy, there is probably another 45 minutes of footage we haven't seen that accounts for the period of time between when he left Skull Island and when he died in 1978 of lung cancer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:33 pm
by Keepcoolbutcare
the ending of 12 Monkeys.

rented the DVD for Gilliam's commentary, and all he did was laugh at the concept, saying how it's better that it remains ambiguous.

edit: damn you Tony. Beat me to post-modernism as well. gentleman.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:33 pm
by Adam Balm
Before anyone says it: not AI. Those were clearly stated as being robots. There is no room for interpretation.

Re: Left to one's own interpretation..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:36 pm
by The Ginger Man
Chairman Kaga wrote:Do you think what film makers say outisde of the confines of the film should "count" when discussing these ambiguous bits here or there?


If it didn't count, then nothing in the SW prequels would make a goddamn lick of sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:36 pm
by Pacino86845
Hey, you guys remember those things at the end of AI?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:36 pm
by TonyWilson
keepcoolbutcare wrote:the ending of 12 Monkeys.

rented the DVD for Gilliam's commentary, and all he did was laugh at the concept, saying how it's better that it remains ambiguous.

edit: damn you Tony. Beat me to post-modernism as well. gentleman.


Mwahahahaha, Serves you right for making me look like a boobie obsessed pleb in the Pulse thread :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:36 pm
by Seppuku
Night of the Living Dead...ultimate ambiguous ending. Did that honky-looking cracker-jack asshole sheriff fuckstickle know that Duane Jones wasn't a zombie? I think I've made it pretty clear what I think. From the look on the guy's face as he cocks his shotgun, and pulls off a round into Duane's head, I think he just saw it as an excuse to do something he always wanted to do but society had deprived him of the opportunity with which to do so.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:38 pm
by ThisIsTheGirl
Well, one that springs to mind for me is Mr Pink's fate at the end of Reservoir Dogs. Many people are adamant that you can hear him being apprehended by the cops at the end, but to me, the cops could be doing a whole range of shit; they could be shouting at the guys in the warehouse, for example. I've always liked the idea that he may have escaped with the diamonds - but I'm sure I've heard QT say that he is arrested.

But, screw him, in my world, Pink gets away with the diamonds, and hides in a resort in the bahamas for a year or two, never once tipping the waitresses.

As for Bladerunner, the Director's Cut got rid of the voiceover (thereby de-humanising Deckard a little bit), and added the unicorn dream sequence. So, when he picks up the little paper unicorn at the end, we're supposed to think that all of his memories and dreams have been implanted, ie he's a replicant.

His name, Deckard, is also supposed to evoke Descartes: I think, therefore I am.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:39 pm
by Chairman Kaga
Perhaps but of course the hillbillies were enjoying shooting all the zombies. Really who wouldn't? You get to kill "people" with no moral or social repercussions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:40 pm
by TonyWilson
ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Well, one that springs to mind for me is Mr Pink's fate at the end of Reservoir Dogs. Many people are adamant that you can hear him being apprehended by the cops at the end, but to me, the cops could be doing a whole range of shit; they could be shouting at the guys in the warehouse, for example. I've always liked the idea that he may have escaped with the diamonds - but I'm sure I've heard QT say that he is arrested.

But, screw him, in my world, Pink gets away with the diamonds, and hides in a resort in the bahamas for a year or two, never once tipping the waitresses.

[/i]


In the script I have (but this is from memory) when Mr Pink runs out the door the police sirens come in and you hear cops shouting for someone to get down on the ground, obviously in the film it's left more open so I alwasy thought he does get away.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:47 pm
by ThisIsTheGirl
TonyWilson wrote: in the film it's left more open so I always thought he does get away.


Exactly! It has a kind of fantastic symmetry if you see it that way. Like Mr Pink, the one who constantly bangs on about being a professional, gets away precisely because he never let his professionalism slip. But I do seem to recall QT saying otherwise in an interview. Like I say though: screw that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:50 pm
by TonyWilson
ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
TonyWilson wrote: in the film it's left more open so I always thought he does get away.


Exactly! It has a kind of fantastic symmetry if you see it that way. Like Mr Pink, the one who constantly bangs on about being a professional, gets away precisely because he never let his professionalism slip. But I do seem to recall QT saying otherwise in an interview. Like I say though: screw that.


Too true TITG, I think a big idea in the film is subverting the old "honour among thieves" schtick so it does make perfect sense that the one who gets away is the professional bastard who only gives a shit about himself.

Re: Left to one's own interpretation..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:52 pm
by DinoDeLaurentiis
burlivesleftnut wrote:I think in the case of Jimmy, there is probably another 45 minutes of footage we haven't seen that accounts for the period of time between when he left Skull Island and when he died in 1978 of lung cancer.



Hehehe.... I LASH, therefore I PAMP!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:52 pm
by Seppuku
I guess we know who the wannabe wise-ass gangsters are on this thread :roll: People always gotta be rooting for the murderering bad-guys...I mean hell, I bet you all shed salty tears of sadness when that vewy naughty boy Michael Myers got offed. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:55 pm
by TonyWilson
seppukudkurosawa wrote:I guess we know who the wannabe wise-ass gangsters are on this thread :roll: People always gotta be rooting for the murderering bad-guys...I mean hell, I bet you all shed salty tears of sadness when that vewy naughty boy Michael Myers got offed. :wink:


Whoa there horsey :)
Trust me I'd prefer Tim Roth to have made it, or even Keitel, but seeing as those two are doomed from the start I went for the most honest of the rest of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:58 pm
by ThisIsTheGirl
seppukudkurosawa wrote: People always gotta be rooting for the murderering bad-guys...I mean hell, I bet you all shed salty tears of sadness when that vewy naughty boy Michael Myers got offed. :wink:


:? Obviously not. Horrors operate under a completely different set of rules from Gangster flicks. :P RD is a greek tragedy, which usually means that everybody dies at the end, and the final moment contains a glimmer of hope that things will change for the better afterwards. I think, as long as you can accept that Mr Pink escapes, it obeys the rules pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:25 pm
by Ribbons
Shane! Come back, Shane!