No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate No Country for Old Men?

29%
32%
21%
9%
4%
1%
No votes
1%
No votes
No votes
I'm waiting for DVD / TV
3%
No No Country for Me
No votes

Total votes : 78

No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!)

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:52 am

okay... seeing as how locke locked my last thread... just cause apparentely there were already some existing threads on it... douche... :wink:

here - we have the Coen Bros directing Cormac McCarthy's "No Country For Old Men" with Javier Bardem and Tommy Lee Jones...

here's what Harry has to say about it...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:02 am

This sounds amazing. But I hope they don't cast Billy Bob.

EDIT: Hmmm, just read Harry's article. Tommy Lee Jones? Soooooooooo predictable. bleh.
Last edited by burlivesleftnut on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:04 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:This sounds amazing. But I hope they don't cast Billy Bob.

i like Harry's "suggestion" to have Turturro in there - Turturro is golden when he does Coen Bros...

and maybe somehow find a way to put John goodman in there as well...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:05 am

goin' back to their roots, in a way. haven't read the book, but from what I know of it, the Coens are in familiar territory. Which isn't a bad thing, just sayin'...

I'll be excited when/if someone has the temerity to film Cormac's Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:48 am

Hm. I know it's the Coen brothers and all, but I wonder it they'll have the balls to put the ending from the book in the film.

On a similar note, I wish Ridley Scott would've had the balls to shoot a proper ending for Hannibal.

Also, I could have done without Tonny Lee Jones being in this. I'm still recovering from the mid-90's Jones explosion when he was in every other damn movie Hollywood put out.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:27 am

Teh Trailerz, courtesy of Variety.com(!?)
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:35 am

Not bad, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Fievel on Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:55 am

Haven't read the book, but the trailer looks awesome!!!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:54 am

Ribbons wrote:courtesy of Variety.com(!?)

explains the shitty, compressed lookin' 4:3 tho'.

badassicity abounds...Coens doin' McCarthy, Javier looking like a fucking freak, TLJ doin' what he does and the bounce back actor of the year, Josh Brolin, stoically on the lam.

and Kelly Macdonald to boot.

Oscar bait?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:10 am

Heh heh, looks like Rob Zombies "Halloween" remake to me... All that posturing and Laurie Stroding...

Still, good to see the Coen's returning to something less lite, they'll never top "Blood Simple" tho for sheer dark pleasureable erogenous licking.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:46 am

I really enjoyed the book, and i really like the coens... this is a win win for me, hopefully it'll be good...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:01 am

This looks great. Awesome trailer. More trailers should be like this, and not give away the entire damn film.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby wharto on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:20 am

I hope the movie is as good as the book.

I am slow today.

Booo!!!!!
Suck My Balls!
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:19 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:This looks great. Awesome trailer. More trailers should be like this, and not give away the entire damn film.

Defo. It teased me in all the right ways. It has plenty of the noir of early Coen films, although it has the (all) star potential of being too self conscious. I'm pretty sure it won't, and I guardedly see this as a contiuum of decent cultural cinema. I hope to be proved correct. I truly cherish the Coens, I love "Blood Simple" and "O Brother where art thou?" and I hope this continues their rein as true perveyours of American cinematic culture.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:31 pm

havocSchultz wrote:Turturro is golden when he does Coen Bros...

I don't know man, it could be the White Russians circulating through my system, or it could be the fact that havoc ends every sentence with a dotdotdot, but...

:lol:
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:32 pm

magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby tapehead on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:58 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:Turturro is golden when he does Coen Bros...

I don't know man, it could be the White Russians circulating through my system, or it could be the fact that havoc ends every sentence with a dotdotdot, but...

:lol:

yes?

magicmonkey wrote:...

tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:15 am

Nice weather we're havin in here.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:49 pm

Finally caught the HD Trailer for this over at Apple, I think this is now right at the very top of my list of most anticipated Movies.

WTF is that weapon that Spanish dude is using? Something to do with compressed gasses or what?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:25 pm

Dead link trailer. Anyone got a new one?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:34 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Dead link trailer. Anyone got a new one?

here you go, Kirks, try this:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/nocountryforoldmen/

I can't view at work, but I would assume it works...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby minstrel on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:44 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Dead link trailer. Anyone got a new one?

here you go, Kirks, try this:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/nocountryforoldmen/

I can't view at work, but I would assume it works...

It does. It looks excellent! I'm there!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:20 pm

THanks Voldey!

Yeah it does look great! Thoughg a bit hard to follow. Sooo, this is an ADAPTATION by the Coens then. Can't remember them doing anything that isn't penned by their own hand before. Looking forward to this. Looks tense.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tapehead on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:18 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:THanks Voldey!

Yeah it does look great! Thoughg a bit hard to follow. Sooo, this is an ADAPTATION by the Coens then. Can't remember them doing anything that isn't penned by their own hand before. Looking forward to this. Looks tense.

Intolerable Cruelty and The LadyKillers, although they had a hand in screen play re-writes, were others work - the latter being a re-make.

They've also co-written with Sam Raimi before - The Hudsucker Proxy and Crimewave I think.

I'm probably a little more interested in the idea of their next movie, Hail, Caesar, but this looks great so far.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Vynson on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:44 pm

Cormac McCarthy's book was a great read. I'm really looking forward to this. Looks good so far. Very happy with Tommy Lee Jones.

Love that line:

"It's a mess, ain't it, Sheriff?"

"Well if it ain't, it'll do 'til a mess gets here."
Vynson
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby tapehead on Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:32 am

25th August new trailer, probably been posted elsewhere - I officially hate Red Band Trailers that ask for U.S. zip codes.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby John-Locke on Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:42 am

I got it to work using Chris Smith, 90210, march 14th and 1977

The other trailer is better even though this one has gore.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:46 am

John-Locke wrote:I got it to work using Chris Smith, 90210, march 14th and 1977

The other trailer is better even though this one has gore.

Yeah I did something similar... but I'm totally like, making out that I'm from Beverly Hills now on.

It just seems a short-sighted way of promoting an international release on the internet.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby monorail77 on Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:56 pm

Saw a trailer for this on the weekend (attached to 3:10 to Yuma) Looks very good, perhaps a return to form for the Coens? Though I actually enjoyed The Ladykillers.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:04 pm

John-Locke wrote:WTF is that weapon that Spanish dude is using? Something to do with compressed gasses or what?

Anton Chigurh is using a "cattle gun" aka a penetrating captive bolt pistol.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:13 pm

Saw a trailer for this before Superbad. Looks very intense and very goos!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:22 pm

I am so excited for this.

Coens and McCarthy *drool*
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

no country for old men

Postby smaointe76 on Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:53 pm

Tommy Lee Jones rocks. He’s the coolest cat and I’m siked to see him in No Country. Is this his first Coen bros. film??
smaointe76
GLIB

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:30 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Coens and McCarthy *drool*

you would think they wouldn't exactly mesh tho'...or at least I did. Coens kinda specialize in glib, fast talking characters, and those characters can sorta be construed as loving homages or, as some harsher critics have put it, caricatures of characters. They generally infuse these characters with humor, and it's often a fine line between laughing with them or laughing at them.

McCarthy, on the other hand, is generally pretty serious and bleak, and the spoken bits of NO COUNTRY ain't exactly rapid fire dialog, so count me curious as to whether or not the bros. Coen do justice to the bleak, not-close-to-funny styling of Cormac.

smaointe76 wrote:Tommy Lee Jones rocks. He’s the coolest cat and I’m siked to see him in No Country. Is this his first Coen bros. film??

indeed it is, and see above as to why they've probably never approached him before.

Perfect casting of Ed Tom, btw. That actually goes across the board here, 'cept maybe Kelly Macdonald, tho' that's just an accent thing...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:34 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

you would think they wouldn't exactly mesh tho'...or at least I did. Coens kinda specialize in glib, fast talking characters, and those characters can sorta be construed as loving homages or, as some harsher critics have put it, caricatures of characters. They generally infuse these characters with humor, and it's often a fine line between laughing with them or laughing at them.

McCarthy, on the other hand, is generally pretty serious and bleak, and the spoken bits of NO COUNTRY ain't exactly rapid fire dialog, so count me curious as to whether or not the bros. Coen do justice to the bleak, not-close-to-funny styling of Cormac.

Well, remember that the Coens aren't always about comedy. Look at films like Blood Simple. Sometimes they have long, gripping stretches of no dialogue at all. They are capable of being VERY serious when it's called for.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:39 pm

minstrel wrote:Well, remember that the Coens aren't always about comedy. Look at films like Blood Simple. Sometimes they have long, gripping stretches of no dialogue at all. They are capable of being VERY serious when it's called for.

i dunno man, there was some funny schtuff in BLOOD SIMPLE.

anytime you cast Dan Hedaya and M. Emmet Walsh in the same movie...well, let's just say that uber-serious doesn't exactly come to mind.

or maybe I was alone in thinking BLOOD SIMPLE was a noir-black-comedy...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:13 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
minstrel wrote:Well, remember that the Coens aren't always about comedy. Look at films like Blood Simple. Sometimes they have long, gripping stretches of no dialogue at all. They are capable of being VERY serious when it's called for.

anytime you cast Dan Hedaya and M. Emmet Walsh in the same movie...well, let's just say that uber-serious doesn't exactly come to mind.

No, it's true. It's probably my overall favourite Coen movie, the humour is pitch black, but all the more damn hilarious for it. It's kinda "Intolerable Cruelty" played with a totally straight face.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby tapehead on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:32 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

You weren't. The Coens brothers movie with the least humour for me would be Miller's Crossing - there is is funny dialogue, but it's grim and ugly - Gangster Toughman talk of the "I am gonna send you to a deep, dark place and I am gonna have fun doing it" variety - The dialogue is Dense and deadpan, but not played for laughs.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:33 am

Nice one tapehead, I was also going to mention Miller's Crossing, but even in that film there's some terrific dark comedy. It's one of the Coen Bros.' darkest to be sure, but the humor is still there.

On my side, I'm reassured that No Country for Old Men is dark with sparse dialogue... if it's totally different from their previous work, then we might see something truly great and new come from the Coen Bros., harkening back to the years when they were great innovators.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nordling on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:41 am

I think the Coens needed to take a couple of years off to recharge their batteries. At one point we were getting a Coen a year, and while that sounds good in theory, in reality we got progressively weaker films like INTOLERABLE CRUELTY and THE LADYKILLERS.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:46 am

Um, maybe that's a good idea, but their filmography doesn't really suggest this:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001054/maindetails

One year between O Brother and The Man Who Wasn't There, one year between Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink...

In any case, it's been three years since their last feature, which had been a remake, and they're working with totally new material. Plus it looks to be a modern-day western, which had instantly made me realize why they'd never done a western before. I think the outlook is positive.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nordling on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:39 am

Yeah, but O BROTHER and MAN WHO WASN'T THERE, while really good films, don't hold a candle to earlier Coen films like MILLER'S or BARTON FINK or RAISING ARIZONA. BARTON FINK, in particular, was written under special circumstances when the Coens were struggling with writer's block.

And you have to admit INTOLERABLE CRUELTY and THE LADYKILLERS aren't very good at all.

I really, really wish they were able to get TO THE WHITE SEA made, though. Maybe someday.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:43 am

I thought "Intolerable Cruelty" was genius, pure and simple 40's screwball reinvention. "The Ladykillers" was cursed by the Hanks I can only surmise... But it took me about 5 viewers to appreciate "O' Brother Where Art Thou" as quite possibly their best film, whereas before, I hated it with a passion born from intolerable boredom. Quite a reversal...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Peven on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:44 am

Nordling, with all the extremely positive praise that has been heaped on "No Country For Old Men", are you actually saying you're disappointed with its release?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chilli on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:46 am

magicmonkey wrote:I thought "Intolerable Cruelty" was genius, pure and simple 40's screwball reinvention. "The Ladykillers" was cursed by the Hanks I can only surmise... But it took me about 5 viewers to appreciate "O' Brother Where Art Thou" as quite possibly their best film, whereas before, I hated it with a passion born from intolerable boredom. Quite a reversal...

Big Lebowski for me.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Nordling on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:46 pm

Peven wrote:Nordling, with all the extremely positive praise that has been heaped on "No Country For Old Men", are you actually saying you're disappointed with its release?

Oh, hell no. I can't wait.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:17 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

and now, to cover my tracks...

been re-reading snatches from NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, and, after the initial rush and thrill of the narrative has soaked into my feeble brain, I think there are quite a few dialog pieces where the Coen's comedic touch will come in handy for the adaptation.

that's not to say it should be a laugh a minute yuk fest, far from it, but I can see some comedic touches being thrown in here and there, if only to contrast with the pretty darn bleak story...

in short, fuck kcbc, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:24 pm

AWESOME NEW PREVIEW

Keepcool's avatar even makes a cameo appearance
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:30 am

Yes that preview is indeed awesome!! Javier Bardem!!!! I watched The Dancer Upstairs for YOU!!!!!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Maui on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:30 pm

Javier Bardem as SUGAR? This will most definitely work!!!!
Maui
WoWie

Next

Return to Movie Discussion