No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate No Country for Old Men?

10
23
29%
9
25
32%
8
16
21%
7
7
9%
6
3
4%
5
1
1%
4
0
No votes
3
1
1%
2
0
No votes
1
0
No votes
I'm waiting for DVD / TV
2
3%
No No Country for Me
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 78

Postby The Vicar on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:56 pm

When I was four,
I could make my grandfather's dentures
jump out of his mouth at the breakfast table
by will alone.

It happens.....
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby Nordling on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:18 pm

by the way, Blu-Ray owners...

http://i30.tinypic.com/19t6jl.png

Apparently the coupon works at Best Buy and Wal-Mart, from what I've read some people post. However, when I tried it at Wal-Mart, it didn't. What the hell, all they can do is say no, right?

My wife watched this with me last night, and I was expecting her to hate it (she's very intelligent, but when it comes to films she likes her films pretty escapist) but she came away really impressed. She still preferred THERE WILL BE BLOOD, as do I, but that's okay, it takes nothing away from NCFOM's greatness. I was pleased.
Image
User avatar
Nordling
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2092
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:39 am
Location: Missouri City, TX

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:21 am

FINALLY, I got to see this. I absolutely hate being left out in the cold on a movie like this.

I can't say I loved it -- but it was an excellent film. I really wish I had seen it fresh, without Oscar clips, because I think I would have been more on the edge of my seat. There were definitely moments, and I wasn't at all sure what was going to happen, but I think this needed to be seen in a dark and quiet theatre. And without my dad (who had already seen it) going "Oh, this is where he fucks up" every two minutes. Now I know where my sister gets her chatty movie habit from.

And what can I say about Javier Bardem that hasn't already been said? Was it my imagination, or did he seem a little shook after his encounter with Kelly McDonald's character? He almost looked...teary. Great acting all around, though. (And I couldn't help but laugh at "Jesus man, you've got a bone sticking out of your arm!")

Everyone in my house hated it -- and no one got the ending except me. Sigh.

Who was it, earlier in the thread, that made the parallel to Cronenberg? I really felt the same way. The themes here echoed both of Cronenberg's last two films: ordinary people caught up in hideously violent worlds. You could put History of Violence, Eastern Promises and No Country in a box set, and have yourself a meaningful night.

Anyway, I can't say it was my favorite of the year, but it was definitely one of the best I have seen.
User avatar
Lady Sheridan
RED
 
Posts: 5035
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Croft Manor

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:05 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:And what can I say about Javier Bardem that hasn't already been said? Was it my imagination, or did he seem a little shook after his encounter with Kelly McDonald's character? He almost looked...teary.



Exactly, LS. I'm glad you mentioned that because I was pretty sure what Carla-Jean said did get to him. Like it made the cognitive dissonance he lived with every day (that he was a moral force yet also a cold blooded killer) impossible to ignore or rationalise, at least until the car crash anyway.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:05 pm

The last 20 mintues are still a fucking cop out though....
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Postby Nordling on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:27 pm

...
Image
User avatar
Nordling
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2092
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:39 am
Location: Missouri City, TX

No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:25 pm

Nordling wrote:...


I stand with my original opnionl that the ending kept me from loving this film.

When you build two characters having a showdown, then have a massive swerve only to give us some philisophical bs, thats a cop out!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:26 pm

sure it is
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:14 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:And what can I say about Javier Bardem that hasn't already been said? Was it my imagination, or did he seem a little shook after his encounter with Kelly McDonald's character? He almost looked...teary.



Exactly, LS. I'm glad you mentioned that because I was pretty sure what Carla-Jean said did get to him. Like it made the cognitive dissonance he lived with every day (that he was a moral force yet also a cold blooded killer) impossible to ignore or rationalise, at least until the car crash anyway.


I'm glad I wasn't imagining it. And I thought the car crash might have happened because his mind was still back in that house. I think normally, those eerie skills of his would have managed to dodge some car in a residential area.
User avatar
Lady Sheridan
RED
 
Posts: 5035
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Croft Manor

No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:sure it is


Sarcasim aside,


It is...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:50 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:And what can I say about Javier Bardem that hasn't already been said? Was it my imagination, or did he seem a little shook after his encounter with Kelly McDonald's character? He almost looked...teary.



Exactly, LS. I'm glad you mentioned that because I was pretty sure what Carla-Jean said did get to him. Like it made the cognitive dissonance he lived with every day (that he was a moral force yet also a cold blooded killer) impossible to ignore or rationalise, at least until the car crash anyway.


I'm glad I wasn't imagining it. And I thought the car crash might have happened because his mind was still back in that house. I think normally, those eerie skills of his would have managed to dodge some car in a residential area.


Ah, well I think I disagree about the car crash. For me that was just the ultimate evidence that Chigurh was a magnet for death, not only was a homicidal maniac but just his presecene was enough to kill you. For me it's just more proof of Chigurh's place in the scheme of things. A psychotic killer purchased for money - truly a perfect example of Bell's (convenient?) naivety.

But I'm with you all the way on Chigurh being really skewered by what Carla-Jean says. I think it's the only kind of character development you can feasibly have for him - finally he faced a victim that had not broken whatever rules his employer paid him to enforce nor had she begged for her life or interfered with his plans. And she was of enough moral fibre to really show him up. Any one else attempting to argue with him was of course already guilty of at least being involved with the mob and therefore whatever pleading they may have done would fall on deaf ears.
CJ rattled him because she exposed his animalistic desire to hurt people that he'd sent so long trying to cover with his job for the mexican gangsters.
Last edited by TonyWilson on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:52 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:sure it is


Sarcasim aside,


It is...


Actually it's a perfect ending, and it's foreshadowed throughout, you just have to pay more attention than you were, obviously.

I don't mean to sound insulting, but really, the point of the film is evident throighout.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:42 am

I just watched this movie earlier today,and shit did it hook me. I'm not going to say much, because everything I could think about the film has already been said. The tension in that bitch was amped as hell. Usually with one of these crime thrillers there is a release of calm after the big climax and you see who finally gets theirs. That didn't happen in this movie. There was no release. The tension was there the whole time right up to the sheriff's retirement.
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:23 am

bastard_robo wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:sure it is


Sarcasim aside,


It is...


Snaky comments aside. It's really fucking NOT.

*bites tongue*
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17645
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:15 am

I envy you guys who were watching it on the edge of your seats. The film just doesn't have the same edge when your dad tells you Josh Brolin bites it 2 minutes into the movie. :(

Still, the scene in the gas station was enough to wind me up. So there was that.
User avatar
Lady Sheridan
RED
 
Posts: 5035
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Croft Manor

No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:27 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:I just watched this movie earlier today,and shit did it hook me. I'm not going to say much, because everything I could think about the film has already been said. The tension in that bitch was amped as hell. Usually with one of these crime thrillers there is a release of calm after the big climax and you see who finally gets theirs. That didn't happen in this movie. There was no release. The tension was there the whole time right up to the sheriff's retirement.
s

When people ask me what this movie is like, I tell them its like this..


Its like getting a fantastic BJ, and when you start to close to climax, the chick gives you a hand job insted, then right before you finish, she stops and walks away...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:24 am

bastard_robo wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:I just watched this movie earlier today,and shit did it hook me. I'm not going to say much, because everything I could think about the film has already been said. The tension in that bitch was amped as hell. Usually with one of these crime thrillers there is a release of calm after the big climax and you see who finally gets theirs. That didn't happen in this movie. There was no release. The tension was there the whole time right up to the sheriff's retirement.
s

When people ask me what this movie is like, I tell them its like this..


Its like getting a fantastic BJ, and when you start to close to climax, the chick gives you a hand job insted, then right before you finish, she stops and walks away...


Damn good analogy.
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:38 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
When people ask me what this movie is like, I tell them its like this..


Its like getting a fantastic BJ, and when you start to close to climax, the chick gives you a hand job insted, then right before you finish, she stops and walks away...



Bwahahaha.
I get it now, you're being ironic right?
Because you just equated an orgasm with murder.
Good going.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:43 pm

Mudergasm would be an awesome band name.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:10 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:
When people ask me what this movie is like, I tell them its like this..


Its like getting a fantastic BJ, and when you start to close to climax, the chick gives you a hand job insted, then right before you finish, she stops and walks away...



Bwahahaha.
I get it now, you're being ironic right?
Because you just equated an orgasm with murder.
Good going.


What? you've never killed a drifter to get an erection??????
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:13 pm

bastard_robo wrote:you've never killed a drifter to get an erection??????


:shock:

*makes mental note to never go to sleep around robo*...
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 14157
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:14 pm

Ribbons wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:you've never killed a drifter to get an erection??????


:shock:

*makes mental note to never go to sleep around robo*...


I have bunk beds... and candy!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:21 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:
When people ask me what this movie is like, I tell them its like this..


Its like getting a fantastic BJ, and when you start to close to climax, the chick gives you a hand job insted, then right before you finish, she stops and walks away...



Bwahahaha.
I get it now, you're being ironic right?
Because you just equated an orgasm with murder.
Good going.


The French do call it La petit mort.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:24 pm

Sex and death are two sides of the same coin but murder is something different, imo. The first two are biological reactions as it were.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:53 pm

I watched this last night with my folks. I had seen it. They hadn't. Mom hated it, but she's not a big fan of violence. Dad pretty much liked it. He seemed pretty pleased. I sort of had to explain the ending a bit, mostly for mom. But on the whole, I think it was a better time watching a movie with them than I expected. And it was neat to see my dad figure out some stuff plot-wise before it happened. God I love this movie.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5606
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:14 am

TonyWilson wrote:Sex and death are two sides of the same coin


Especially at a the Dino's age, eh?

Goddamn...
User avatar
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN
 
Posts: 11284
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Private Villa inna Santorini

No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:25 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Sex and death are two sides of the same coin


Especially at a the Dino's age, eh?

Goddamn...


Image
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:00 pm

I have seen this twice now and will probably end up watching it again tonight. I can't say anymore then anyone else has but I will...

I did not see a show down coming at all. I always felt that Moss was out of his depth. The boy was going to die. I also loved the ending and I have not read the book yet. Though I plan to soon. And the Road now that I read the synopsis of that...

I can see how some people would be ticked off not actually seeing Moss die, but I think you were supposed to get there with Chigurh and Bell and be disappointed like both of them were. And I felt the dreams were dark and beautiful. Made me sit and talk about the movie after with my friends and I absolutely love when a movie does that. Makes you stop and think after.

Also:

Fried Gold wrote:However, they did set up that he'd "seen Chigurgh and wasn't dead". He's the first to strike a blow on the unstoppable killer.


I dont feel that this was his first blow "though I will give you that it was in the movie". The way that he cleaned up after made me feel that he has been shot many times before and it was just another day at work...
User avatar
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:49 pm
Location: Samonkey Island

Postby bluebottle on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:51 am

I finally watched this last night (in bluray on my new PS3 - HOLY SHIT IT LOOKED FUCKING AWESOME!!!) and I gotta say, I wasn't blown away.

I found it really inspired and interesting, and appreciated the tone and feel and performances BUT i was really disappointed in the ending.

From his books that I've read, I've noticed that McCarthy loves to subvert the audiences expectations - and I feel like it can be done in a way that still doesn't disappoint the audience... McCarthy, however, tends to write in a somewhat pretentious way to prove some kind of a point, leaving out the "entertainment" factor.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, like I said, I appreciated the film, I just didn't find it satisfying, and felt let down by the last 20 minutes.

I know the point was to show how pointless and gruesome violence is, but I think there's other ways to prove that point without trying so hard to be "interesting" and "poignant".

When all is said and done, I think the Cohen's put together a beautiful film, and the performances were stellar - my issues lie with the source.

I'll be curious to see the adaptation of "The Road", which I felt was dire for the sake of being dire.
User avatar
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby Peven on Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:56 pm

i just saw this yesterday and at first the ending pissed me off. but after turning it over in my head again and again i have come to terms with it. i guess the way i look at the film might be simplistic; Chigurth is Death, maybe Evil/man's violence toward fellow men. once Death has your number, there is no escape. shoot him. hit him with a car. he just gets up and keeps coming. you aren't going to out-clever him. you aren't going to outfight him. you aren't going to cheat him. you may avoid him for a bit, but in the end your fate is sealed. or he might be that inescapable aspect of humanity that is pure, visceral violence, and its inevitable effects.

Moss and his wife are "the people". running around trying to get one over on Death thinking they have a chance to somehow win in the end, never accepting the inevitability of the end. they believe they are going to be able to have it all, wealth and wishes falling right in their lap, without paying a price. and it pursuit of that they lose it all. the day before this started, though, they would have said they had a decent, even good, life even though it was hard at times. this movie feels more and like "The Pearl", by Steinbeck, to me.

Tommy Lee's character is one in a long line of lawmen. the old guy from "Northern Exposure" sets him straight in realizing how lawmen have always been up against it, always had to sacrifice, always faced men who were willing to commit escalate the violence. the only thing standing between that violence and "the people" are men like Tommy Lee. i think he represents the part of humanity that strives to fight against injustice, despite being "outmatched". their victory is their continued presence. it is the best victory they can hope for.

that is a start of some thoughts this movie has evoked, among many others......excellent, excellent film no matter what anyone "sees"
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14871
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Postby bluebottle on Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Peven wrote: the old guy from "Northern Exposure" sets him straight in realizing...


oh THAT'S who that was.
User avatar
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:21 am

Peven wrote:Tommy Lee's character is one in a long line of lawmen. the old guy from "Northern Exposure" sets him straight in realizing how lawmen have always been up against it, always had to sacrifice, always faced men who were willing to commit escalate the violence. the only thing standing between that violence and "the people" are men like Tommy Lee. i think he represents the part of humanity that strives to fight against injustice, despite being "outmatched". their victory is their continued presence. it is the best victory they can hope for.


Very inna'teresting comment paisan... anna inna line with a the philosophy presented inna McCarthy's a "The Road", no?
User avatar
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN
 
Posts: 11284
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: Private Villa inna Santorini

Postby Eunuch Provocateur on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:49 pm

I've been wondering... There seems to be a lot of Anachronisms in this film (FREE HBO on the hotel sign when HBO was still not a pay channel, the modern day Carl's Jr. sign outside of one of the hotels with the modern day Suburban in its drive-thru, etc), do you guys think that these were unintentional or were they there intentionally by the Coens so as to comment on the violence and disarray in the movie and how it still goes on today? It'd be like a subtler version of what David Lynch in Blue Velvet with the cars from 80s and the movie set in the 50s.

I don't want to believe that they fucked up that bad to have a modern day Carl's Jr. sign in the background.
There's no Devil, just God when he's drunk. -Tom Waits.
Eunuch Provocateur
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:14 am

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:48 pm

If I had to guess, I'd say they just fucked up. But if that's enough to ruin this movie for someone, well, they suck.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5606
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Postby Peven on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:59 pm

i think it is absolutely on purpose. i think to say that the events are almost timeless in a sense, that when the story takes place is inconsequential because violence, and greed, are constant and people will kill each other in terrible ways in any decade.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14871
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:03 am

I thought it was supposed to have a vague sense of time as well -- could be today, could be 20 years ago. So many of those towns in the middle of the U.S. are stuck in a weird time warp that I just didn't think anything of it.
User avatar
Lady Sheridan
RED
 
Posts: 5035
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Croft Manor

Postby Nordling on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:11 am

The film takes place in 1980. HBO had been around for about 5 years.
Image
User avatar
Nordling
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2092
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:39 am
Location: Missouri City, TX

Postby Maui on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Eunuch Provocateur wrote:I've been wondering... There seems to be a lot of Anachronisms in this film (FREE HBO on the hotel sign when HBO was still not a pay channel, the modern day Carl's Jr. sign outside of one of the hotels with the modern day Suburban in its drive-thru, etc), do you guys think that these were unintentional or were they there intentionally by the Coens so as to comment on the violence and disarray in the movie and how it still goes on today? It'd be like a subtler version of what David Lynch in Blue Velvet with the cars from 80s and the movie set in the 50s.

I don't want to believe that they fucked up that bad to have a modern day Carl's Jr. sign in the background.


Here's a list of goofs from IMDB (first one being the Carl's Jr sign) - when reading all the goofs pertaining to stuff that wasn't around in 1980.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477348/goofs
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7631
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby 80sCHILD on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:07 pm

It was a good movie the ending kinda killed it tho.
MY MINDS PLAYIN TRICKS ON ME!!!
80sCHILD
TOMBOY BEANPOLE
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:08 pm
Location: Murder Michigan

Postby The Vicar on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:19 pm

bluebottle wrote:
Peven wrote: the old guy from "Northern Exposure" sets him straight in realizing...


oh THAT'S who that was.


Barry Corbin, for those playing at home.
Recipient of Dabney Coleman's best line evar:
"I don't have to take that off you, you pig eyed sack of shit..."
(War Games)
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby Zarles on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:40 pm

The Vicar wrote:
bluebottle wrote:
Peven wrote: the old guy from "Northern Exposure" sets him straight in realizing...


oh THAT'S who that was.


Barry Corbin, for those playing at home.
Recipient of Dabney Coleman's best line evar:
"I don't have to take that off you, you pig eyed sack of shit..."
(War Games)


'Hell, I'd piss on a sparkplug if I thought it would help!'

'Get that little bastard out of the war room!'

'Mr. McKittrick, after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new defense system sucks.'

You mean that guy?

Best. movie. ever.
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:09 am

User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!)

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:32 pm

I hate to rain on the parade, but I found this a hugely unsatisfying film. A lot of you guys have helped me see the possible deeper themes at play in this film, and I agree with some of them. I can accept that this film deals with the theme of inevitability. I guess I just didn't find it entertaining or moving enough on the surface to compel me to really think about the deeper themes.

I didn't mind that they homaged Peckinpah and Leone so much. Hell, if you're going to copy somebody those are two great guys to copy and I realize there's only so many ways to film a desert. The shootout in the hotel felt like an almost direct lift from the climax of The Getaway, only nowhere near as good despite modern filmmaking capabilities.

While I was watching the movie I figured since the characters were so one dimensional that they must represent something. Bardem being inevitability and Brolin being The Average Man Who Tries to Evade The Inevitable is kinda painfully obvious in a that's it? kinda way, but I guess that's the deep theme of this film. Which is fine, but like I said, I didn't enjoy watching many of the scenes all that much. And even though I normally really like Bardem as an actor his character didn't work for me in this. I feel stupid for saying this, but his hairstyle was actually part of my problem. He also didn't intimidate me in a badass kinda way, he mostly just seemed like a perv who I'd avoid cuz he'd start trying to sell me religion or something.

My biggest problem was Tommy Lee's portion of the movie, it felt like it was editted in from another movie and his dialogue was so one note. All he talked about was his feelings of irrelevance and oldness, and it was a huge case of telling over showing.

To be fair, I really liked the scene at the end where Brolin's wife refuses to play Bardem's game. I think if they'd cut Tommy Lee completely and ended the movie there without that Bardem car wreck scene I actually would've thought this was okay. Not great, but pretty good.

Ultimately, it got me thinking about other movies that tried to do the same thing but actually succeeded for me. I've decided on Jackie Brown as a film about getting old and what one has to show for their life in a world where they're constantly becoming more irrelevant, but with a nice potboiler about a bunch of toughies killing each other over a bag of money on the surface of it all to keep us entertained while the deeper themes and poetry sink in.
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:53 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I hate to rain on the parade, but I found this a hugely unsatisfying film. A lot of you guys have helped me see the possible deeper themes at play in this film, and I agree with some of them. I can accept that this film deals with the theme of inevitability. I guess I just didn't find it entertaining or moving enough on the surface to compel me to really think about the deeper themes.

I didn't mind that they homaged Peckinpah and Leone so much. Hell, if you're going to copy somebody those are two great guys to copy and I realize there's only so many ways to film a desert. The shootout in the hotel felt like an almost direct lift from the climax of The Getaway, only nowhere near as good despite modern filmmaking capabilities.

While I was watching the movie I figured since the characters were so one dimensional that they must represent something. Bardem being inevitability and Brolin being The Average Man Who Tries to Evade The Inevitable is kinda painfully obvious in a that's it? kinda way, but I guess that's the deep theme of this film. Which is fine, but like I said, I didn't enjoy watching many of the scenes all that much. And even though I normally really like Bardem as an actor his character didn't work for me in this. I feel stupid for saying this, but his hairstyle was actually part of my problem. He also didn't intimidate me in a badass kinda way, he mostly just seemed like a perv who I'd avoid cuz he'd start trying to sell me religion or something.

My biggest problem was Tommy Lee's portion of the movie, it felt like it was editted in from another movie and his dialogue was so one note. All he talked about was his feelings of irrelevance and oldness, and it was a huge case of telling over showing.

To be fair, I really liked the scene at the end where Brolin's wife refuses to play Bardem's game. I think if they'd cut Tommy Lee completely and ended the movie there without that Bardem car wreck scene I actually would've thought this was okay. Not great, but pretty good.

Ultimately, it got me thinking about other movies that tried to do the same thing but actually succeeded for me. I've decided on Jackie Brown as a film about getting old and what one has to show for their life in a world where they're constantly becoming more irrelevant, but with a nice potboiler about a bunch of toughies killing each other over a bag of money on the surface of it all to keep us entertained while the deeper themes and poetry sink in.


I love it when we disagree, Spandau. It happens so rarely, so I have to enjoy it while it lasts.

If I had the energy I'd probably write a bunch of long paragraphs about why I like this movie. But most of those paragraphs would be padded with lots of fucks, shits, shitfucks, fuckshits, and clusterfuckshitfucks. And to be honest I don't really have a lot of words for this flick. I am not ashamed of my raging Coens boner. I have enjoyed every movie these fuckers have made. If that makes me some sort of elitist fanboy Struggling Background Artist then so be it. I am a fanboy for the Coens' elite Struggling Background Artists.

I'm not gonna say you're wrong about any of the shit you said up there. I've never thought of the Coen movies being all that deep. None of their characters have ever rung true to me. But I don't think they're meant to. Even when their movies are serious they seem cartoony. I don't think there's much depth in a film like FARGO. It is what it is. Lots of snooty wannabe film jerks like to show off their throbbing literary cocks by pointing out all the significance of shit or whatever. So it doesn't surprise me when Roger Ebert jizzes all over NO COUNTRY and calls it a perfect film or whatever. I think it's a pretty good thriller. I thought the film was well-paced and the tension was at the right level of tenseness. Brolin sitting in his motel room in the dark waiting for Chigurh to make his move, etc. And the silenced shotgun is cool. Anybody can see that. I liked Tommy Lee Jones' portion of the film. I know this movie is about him being old and shit and being out of step with a changing world or whatever it is the film jerks say it is. But I don't think it's really all that earth-shattering or significant. I love the last scene in the film and the abrupt ending (which I knew was coming because I can tell when a movie is just going to end, I'm pretty intuitive and awesome that way) which leaves shit kind of unresolved or whatever.

Well shit, I don't know what I'm saying here. I guess I just wanted to say that I disagree with you, but I don't think you're wrong. This is film. This shit is fucking subjective. And I know that JACKIE BROWN is a great movie, so I'm not some kind of asshole. And anyway you already know that we differ on this OLD MEN shit. I just needed a soapbox moment to use big words like "tenseness" to make myself feel superior to the rest of the folks in this thread (which by the way I don't know who all has posted here. I didn't even bother to read any of your comments, I just jumped to the last post because I was bored, sorry). I will say that I think Bardem is great in this film and I enjoy quoting him. And that scene with the dog was pretty good.

Anyway, I don't remember what all you said, Spandau, but yeah themes and shit, etc.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9927
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!)

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:20 pm

Yeah, I'll agree with you on some points too Caruso. I'm not a raging Coens fanatic like you, but anytime I do enjoy their movies it's more on a completely superficial level. I know these guys are intelligent, and that their movies appeal to intellectuals, and their films are smart, but I haven't felt any of their films are actually intellectual themselves. The things I like in their movies are how they play with idioms and mannerisms and common phrases, and they actually do that pretty well in some parts of No Country as well.

I probably prefer somebody saying they liked No Country as a thriller than as an idea movie because I feel it comes a lot closer to working as a thriller than as an idea movie. I haven't seen all the Coens' films, but the ones I have seen for me work more as the genre they're in than on the strength of any ideas they evoke.
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:42 pm

I feel you there. One of my favorite parts of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is near the end when Tommy Lee Jones is in the restaurant with that state trooper or sheriff or whoever it was and they're talking about how society has gone downhill and the other guy is saying something and Tommy Lee Jones is shaking his head and it cuts to the other guy talking and then it cuts back to Tommy Lee Jones still shaking his head. I don't know why but that makes me laugh my ass off. It's that kind of stuff I love most about those Coen fellas.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9927
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!)

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:18 am

Spandau, hast thou read the source material?

not that it would change your opinion any, just curious.

but why would you think it was an "idea" movie, for their flipping the conventions of the thriller genre by not showing Llewelyn's fate, by not having the big Moss vs. Chigurh showdown?

'Cuz it won some awards?

I mean, yeah, there are ideas in the film, sure, but they're relatively simple and straightforward.

It worked wonders for me as a genre picture though; even knowing what was going to happen beforehand, the Coen's taut, white knuckle suspense generating directorial machinations were what made the film one of my faves from last year.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!)

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:25 am

Keepcoolbutcare;

I have not read the source materiel, though I actually want to because I think I'd like it more.

As for the idea versus genre/entertainment feature debate, I was mostly watching it as a suspense feature but figured that the seemingly deliberate choices of making the Tommy Lee stuff in such a different tone was supposed to mean something, especially since he pretty much only talks about general feelings and comments on modern society.

Also, while watching it I felt the characters were almost a Robert Rodriguez level of less than one dimensional, which got me thinking they might represent something. And that car wreck scene at the end just seemed so out of place that I figured it 'meant' something. And I guess, I ultimately wanted to like this movie and was kinda searching for some level on which to enjoy it since I couldn't do so on the surface level of a pure thriller, but it turned out I also couldn't do so on any kind of idea level either.

In the end, this is probably just a suspense feature that a bunch of people have read a bit too deeply into.

Maybe a good contrast point would be this movie The Fountain. I think this movie delivers a very obvious message and adds nothing to its themes, but it looks pretty and I enjoy it like a segment from Fantasia for its rhythym and its visuals. A lot of people make fun of this movie because they think it was trying to be an idea movie and failed with the unrevolutionaryness of its message, whereas I think it just got analyzed like an idea movie when it's really just a 'pretty' movie and a good 'pretty' movie.
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: No Cuntry For Old Balls (BEWARE SPOILERS!)

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:55 pm

Finally bought the DVD, finally watched it and I loved every minute. Another great bit of Coen movie magic for me, an excellent film with beautiful direction, bucket loads of tension and some classic little moments (Tommy Lee Jones head shaking moment has been mentioned already in this thread - had me in stitches). As for the ending? It was challenging and stark - and those are good things, people. In real life, things don't just wrap up neatly at the end.

So here's where it slides in on my order of preference:

1. The Man Who Wasn't There
2. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
3. The Big Lebowski
4. Miller's Crossing
5. No Country For Old Men
6. Fargo
7. Raising Arizona
8. Blood Simple
9. The Hudsucker Proxy
10. Intolerable Cruelty
11. Barton Fink
12. The Ladykillers

Can't wait now for Burn After Reading - looking forward to where that's going to go on the list. Red band trailer was awesome (thanks to the folks who found it for me in the Random Trailer thread).
Last edited by Worst Part's Almost Over on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:35 am

Re:

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:29 pm

judderman wrote:I feel bad. Am I a complete philistine for continually thinking of The Terminator as I watched this? Because that was what I kept feeling as this movie progressed; unrelenting, pounding intensity, as if one were being chased by a wall that could turn corners. No Country For Old Men is what The Terminator would have been if Cameron could actually write dialogue. Every beat of silence is perfect, and the absence of a score only highlights just how masterfully crafted this movie is. Even Hitchcock couldn't work without Herrimann. Like the dirty gritty action films of the time it's set in (The Hitcher, First Blood and yes, The Terminator), every gunshot feels like it struck you, every crash feels painful, every wound is visibly debilitating. None of this sanitised crap we see in later action films, which reduce the effects of violence to playing Lazr tag with Ken dolls. I have to wonder; these later flicks may have gotten past the MPAA, but which kind of violence would you want your kids exposed to? One that says bad guys keep going after getting fifteen shots to the chest or one that shows that if you so much as badly aim a gun, you or someone you love will end up in hospital?

I've read people on this thread describe Chigurh as the embodiment of fate. I wouldn't describe Anton Chigurh as an embodiment of anything. That's giving him too much credit. He's not Nemesis, he's not Fate. He's not even the personification of his programming, like The Terminator. He just likes to kill, and finds rationales to justify his desires. As one early critic (erroneously) described Iago in Shakespeare's Othello, Chigurh is a "motiveless malignity", an evil searching for a reason to be evil. People always talk about the "presence of evil." There is no such thing, and this movie gets that. Evil isn't a presence, it's an absence, just like cold is the absence of heat. Evil is not just the absence of conscience, but the absence of any form of connection with humanity. Javier Bardem captures this perfectly in his terrifyingly vacuous performance. He acts like a kind of psychic black hole, draining the life and happiness around him but remaining totally inert. If he were capable of pathos, I would describe him as pathetic.

As a rule I'm not fond of film noir, because I don't see the point of watching a man I can't stand slowly and methodically dismantle his own life while taking others along with him to oblivion. Rather than sympathy or catharsis, my main reaction when watching noir is to try and reach through the screen and throttle the main character. I gotta give credit to the Coens for being one of the few talents left with the guts to tackle noir in this day and age, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy the end result. That said, Llewellyn Moss spins what could have been another despicable noir nonhero in new directions, making him just likable enough that he draws a modicum of sympathy from the audience. He's not stupid; he's not pathetic. He actually does have an idea how to beat this monster he's set loose on himself and his wife, and, even though his actions lead to both their deaths, you could still give him credit for trying.

Before I sign off I just want to give credit to someone who I never thought I'd see in a film again: Kelly MacDonald. The wee Glaswegian lass who seduced Euan MacGregor in Trainspotting was last spotted in the UK doing cringe-worthy voiceovers for deodorant commercials ("Muir than joost strrong; as strrong as a wooman!") but here completely transforms herself in every possible respect into a steely Southern belle who loses her life by telling Chigurh what he really is. She won't get an Oscar nom for this, but she should.


Just want to say Judd, your review was the best I've read in this whole thread. Summed up the ideas and feelings of the movie better than I could have done. Thanks for a good read, sir!
Image
User avatar
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:35 am

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests