No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate No Country for Old Men?

29%
32%
21%
9%
4%
1%
No votes
1%
No votes
No votes
I'm waiting for DVD / TV
3%
No No Country for Me
No votes

Total votes : 78

Re: No Country For Old Men (BEWARE SPOILERS!)

Postby tapehead on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:34 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Maybe a good contrast point would be this movie The Fountain. I think this movie delivers a very obvious message and adds nothing to its themes, but it looks pretty and I enjoy it like a segment from Fantasia for its rhythym and its visuals. A lot of people make fun of this movie because they think it was trying to be an idea movie and failed with the unrevolutionaryness of its message, whereas I think it just got analyzed like an idea movie when it's really just a 'pretty' movie and a good 'pretty' movie.

WOW - you're really on your own unique path there, I have no idea what 'Unrevolutionaryness' could possibly mean, you might as well have
lapsed into Portuguese, or Swahili. Seriously, I just did a google search on it; it comes up with... your post.

It's not an 'ideas' movie, IMO (Partly because I'm not sure what that means either, but mostly because I think that the perceived division between style and substance is one that we make for the sake of coherence and convenience rather than being something that's essential), just a really intelligent one well worth the time mulling over.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Al Shut on Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:18 pm

As usual these days I'm a few years late to the party.

For the most part pretty tenseful, high quality film making that would have been even better if I had been unspoiled.

Quickly browsing through the thread I have to wonder: Is the discussion about possible flaws of the ending really about satisfaction and whether good or evil triumphs or about ending it with Tommy Lee Jones telling you how he slept?

Nobody complained about Moss being found dead from one second to another? Or did I just overlook it in the thread. Or is it so obvious that it doesn't need to outspoken?

On a more general note, too much randomness in the plot for my liking. It's been a while but if I remember correctly I felt the same way about Blood Simple
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Al Shut wrote:Nobody complained about Moss being found dead from one second to another? Or did I just overlook it in the thread. Or is it so obvious that it doesn't need to outspoken?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're asking how he just died, I think that was set up when his mother-in-law told the guy who was following them that they were going to El Paso.

Al Shut wrote:On a more general note, too much randomness in the plot for my liking. It's been a while but if I remember correctly I felt the same way about Blood Simple

There was quite a bit of randomness, and generally I would agree with you, but in this case I was okay with it since it's part of the point of the film (as demonstrated by Chigurh's fondness for coin flips). Also Javier Bardem's wacky haircut hindered my critical thinking skills.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:06 pm

What randomness are you guys referring to?
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Al Shut on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:57 am

Ribbons wrote:
Al Shut wrote:Nobody complained about Moss being found dead from one second to another? Or did I just overlook it in the thread. Or is it so obvious that it doesn't need to outspoken?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're asking how he just died, I think that was set up when his mother-in-law told the guy who was following them that they were going to El Paso.

It was setup he could be found, but hen the movie cut from Moss standing outside to the Sheriff ariving. Weird to say the least.

caruso_stalker217 wrote:What randomness are you guys referring to?

Chigurh and the Mexicans finding Moss with transmitters that appear to have a pretty short range. Woody Harelson's character finding the money. Moss cathing Chigurh on the phone in Harelsons hotel room. Come to think of it I don't know if randomness is the right word but stuff like that.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Al Shut wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

It was setup he could be found, but hen the movie cut from Moss standing outside to the Sheriff ariving. Weird to say the least.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's definitely a little jarring. You're expecting this climactic showdown with Chigurh where he either wins or loses and then it's just like "DEAD."

Al Shut wrote:

Chigurh and the Mexicans finding Moss with transmitters that appear to have a pretty short range. Woody Harelson's character finding the money. Moss cathing Chigurh on the phone in Harelsons hotel room. Come to think of it I don't know if randomness is the right word but stuff like that.

Also the fact that, if Llywelyn hadn't gotten up in the middle of the night to give that dying man water at the beginning of the film, he probably never would have been caught.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:00 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Al Shut wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's definitely a little jarring. You're expecting this climactic showdown with Chigurh where he either wins or loses and then it's just like "DEAD."

Al Shut wrote:

Also the fact that, if Llywelyn hadn't gotten up in the middle of the night to give that dying man water at the beginning of the film, he probably never would have been caught.

well, YEAH, duh. :-P :wink:

and when exactly did Woody Harrelson's character find the money?? i think maybe Al saw a different movie than i did....and by find i mean possess it

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Vicar on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:18 pm

I thought he spotted it on the bridge after he saw Moss in the hospital.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Peven on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:27 pm

The Vicar wrote:I thought he spotted it on the bridge after he saw Moss in the hospital.

ok, i think i may remember that now.......i would need to watch it again to clarify why he didn't actually get it, then. and that wouldn't be random so much as a character playing a hunch that Moss would try to cross back over the border and was checking it out, right?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Vicar on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Exactly what he was doing. He was a smart, if soon to be dead, man.
Probably going to head back for the case under cover of darkness.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion