What have you been watching? (Cinema)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

What have you been watching? (Cinema)

Postby John-Locke on Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:17 am

Thought this would be a good idea for a thread, sometimes you see a film in the cinema after it's been given lots of attention else where, maybe it's just been released where you live well after everyone else has seen it, maybe it was some special screening of an old film, this is the place to do a quick review if you feel like it.

Okay so for my Birthday movie this year I went to see Walk The Line, I'm not usually the biggest BioPic fan to be honest, I usually wait for DVD if I think they are worth watching at all, Walk the Line is the exception, ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT FILM, definitely worth seeing in the cinema, it's a very touching Love story first, a film about what drives creative people secondly and a BioPic about good old Johnny Cash and his great music thirdly. What great performances from both the leads, certainly Oscar worthy in my opinion. Well directed, I think there was one scene that dragged a little but otherwise it was directed with a keen eye, slick but not too slick.

The music is simply brilliant, you just can't help tapping your foot.

I liked last years oscar Contender Ray but this is a whole different level of cool, the story isn't told in such a cliche manner for starters and every character seems to be well rounded.

Top work all around, if you think you might like this film I can tell you with certainty you won't, You'll Love it. Run, Run to the Cinema and see this like your life depended on it, who knows maybe it does, it really struck a chord with me, instant classic.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby dimnix on Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:36 am

I saw River Queen, the new Vincent Ward movie about the New Zealand land wars between the british and the maori. And it turns out it's not about that at all, that's just a backdrop... it's about some irish chick who had a half maori son kidnapped by the tribe of his dead father, and then seeks him out and flipflops on both sides of the war throughout the movie. Like a 'dances with wolves' or 'last samurai' kinda deal.

The movie was plagued with problems, but I went in with an open mind.

And the movie is so-so. the general gist of the thing is really great, but the full movie, while it has alot of great bits and elements, falls short. It feels very rough. The camera work, whilst BEAUTIFULLY shot, has too many closeups... I wish it had backed off a bit sometimes. The son comes across as a real little shit. The main character (played by samantha morton) seemed extemely nieve and ignorant and well, kinda dumb. She realises consequences to her actions pretty late. So I had trouble caring about any character. The war is vaguely explained, which will confuse overseas audiences.

Kiefer Sutherland is great in it, though. As is temuera morrison. The scenery is stunningly gorgeous, some of the best kiwi scenery to grace the screen. It's really interesting to see this piece of kiwi history in a movie. the second half of the film gets far better, and the final 'battle' is pretty great. The ending is very well done.

So I'm pretty torn. It's great to see all these kiwi movies, and while theres alot to admire about the movie... it doesnt all work. It feels very rough. I think the good outweighs the bad, but it still could have been better in my opinion. But it's also a hard movie to get my head around, so my opinion may change with time. Worth checking out though, I reckon.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:39 am

Well, a week ago I went to see Lady Vengeance with John-Locke, and I think we've both held off from writing anything because it wasn't quite what either of us expected.

But I've had some time to think about it, and I've realised that I did enjoy it loads, but my mistake was expecting some kind of twist at the end, as all of Park's other movies have featured some kind of twist/reveal in the last few minutes, however small.

So, all I can say is - don't expect another Sympathy for Mr Vengeance or Oldboy (or even JSA) - this is the most unique of Park's films so far, but well worth a look. And I also realised that he has quite cunningly recycled elements from the other two movies of his revenge trilogy, in ways that didn't occur to me at first. It's a very good movie, well worth watching if you can. Certainly better than a lot of the crap that's out there at the moment!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:41 am

Mmmm interesting, I liked What Dreams may Come but that certainly misfired in similar ways, I'll check this out but wait for the DVD, thanks Dimnix, I wasn't really sure what to expect from this film and all the other reviews I've seen go into too much detail, now I know.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby dimnix on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:02 am

John-Locke wrote:Mmmm interesting, I liked What Dreams may Come but that certainly misfired in similar ways, I'll check this out but wait for the DVD, thanks Dimnix, I wasn't really sure what to expect from this film and all the other reviews I've seen go into too much detail, now I know.

it's definetely worth a viewing. In some ways international audiences may enjoy it more (though they'll likely be a tad confused about the whole war). for example, one of the things that really stood out for me was this weird thing with the maori characters, but they didnt change their accents whatsoever. It didnt feel right, hearing guys talking like they do right now. I dont know how the english speaking maori sounded back then, but I imagine it would be different. So that really took me out of the movie, but that likely wont be an issue at all for international audiences.

It's worth seeing for certain scenes and sequences and the visuals. technically it's a really impressive movie, and what works works really well. Alot of people seem to love it, but for me so many flaws stood out enough that I couldnt ignore them.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby John-Locke on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:28 am

Well I think you just brought up something interesting there Dimnix, I wonder how hard it would be for a Casting Director to find Maori actors who can speak in the traditional tongue? In contrast The New World had Native Americans speaking their Native Tongue because their heritage has been quite well preserved in most cases, did the British manage to totally wipe most traces of this part of their heritage away or is this something modern New Zealand Education should take the blame for? Now that you've mentioned it It'll certainly stick out for me, if you hadn't I bet I would have been oblivious to it without giving it so much as a second thought.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby JoMovie on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:29 pm

Since I have no interest in the Olympics (other than singles figure skating) and all my Tv shows are in reruns this evening; I will be screening Brian De Palma's "Sisters" for the very first time...unfortunatly it will be on VHS; but I will "rough it" :wink:
JoMovie
GLIB

Postby John-Locke on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:39 pm

Hey JoMovie, I know you are new so I'm not having a go or anything, just thought I'd point out this thread is for stuff you are watching in the Cinema, we have another thread for movies at home here
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby JoMovie on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:56 pm

Whoops..sorry, my bad. I was zoning and didnt see the big word CINEMA in my face. Sorry again! :oops:
JoMovie
GLIB

Postby John-Locke on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:58 pm

Hey it's no biggie, doesn't really matter, we'll still read your posts.

So did you watch it then? Was it good?

VHS <shudder>
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:55 am

Match Point...i liked it better when it was called Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Cardboard cutout characterizations, flat out offensive female characters, super obvious plotting...anyone who says this was a "return to form" or something new from the Wood-man needs to sit down and watch his 80's films to see just how far he's fallen since then.

Tho' the "Faith is the path of least resistance" line, the cinematography (soft light throughout the whole pic) and performances are all pretty good(I'm not Dumbledore but Rhys-Myers is fuckin' scrumptios and I'll leave any woman on the planet for Scarlett) I wouldn't recommend it.

Thought I spotted the Kirks, but in reading the Mori's Match Point review thread it wasn't in the scene I thought, so no dice.

Oh, and I think Ewan Bremmer and that cat from Bloody Sunday should team up and do a buddy cop flick...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:22 pm

Match Point

1) Scarlet was hot
2) The male lead was written, acted, and directed in a strangely metrosexual way - and seemed to have little thought put into him.
3) Has Woody Allen been to fucking London?

I only ask the question above because Woody Allen paints London as a cultural capital, and while I'm not saying there isn't culture there, focusing on one specific part -- it bugged me, because the many times I've been to London have mostly been walking down Oxford Street and watching criminals run off with stolen goods.

I give it a Dfor inexplicable twists, and a truly poor lead performance.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:57 pm

Saw Syriana.

Er, I need to see it again.

Scratches head scratches head scratches head scratches head scratches head scratches head scratches head scratches head.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:29 pm

I saw Inside Man over the weekend and really enjoyed how odd a heist film it was--scratch that, how odd a film it was. It was beautifully shot by Matthe Libateque (something I don't say too often about Spike Lee's films), had wonderful editing cues and acting choices, but the tone of the thing was all over the place.

Lee did a really, really great job of building suspense and tension with everything around the heist, but he too often undercuts it with awkward humor that just didn't work for me (although, to be fair, a few moments REALLY did). I usually love how a guy like Joss Whedon does this, but something about it here just felt off.

Spike's commentary is still very evident throughout the film, occasionally venturing into his "beat you over the head" zone. Much of it it nicely done, including a beautiful echo to the "Tawana Told the Truth" mural in Do the Right Thing, as Denzel and Jodie have a conversation in front of a mural that reads "We Will Never Forget." The words are written in red, white and blue, and they form the American flag. Beautiful stuff.

(Oh, and fans of Bamboozled should look out for Da Bomb! at the end of the film.)

Overall, it's good, not great. There are moments of greatness, but the whole thing doesn't deliver. Check it out on DVD at least for the cinematogrraphy alone.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby CENOBITE on Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:42 am

"Brick"... Meh.

"Borat"... laughed so hard my head hurt.

"The man who fell to earth"... I would like those hours of my life back, please. Please?

"Kung Fu Hustle" ... saw it again.

"Pricilla queen of the desert"... girlfriend wanted to watch Gen. Zod, Agent Smith and that Memento guy go drag.

"The Seven Swords"... Previews looked incredible, too bad the film wasn't.

"Good night and good luck"... simple, but enjoyable and thought provoking. Could of been a live play.

"Gozu" mmmmm... milky.
CENOBITE
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Conroy420 on Sun May 07, 2006 5:02 pm

I watched 'Match Point' yesterday. Fantastic film and really washed out the bad taste in my life left by MI:3.
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby thefriscokid on Wed May 31, 2006 1:50 pm

nothing interesting just mIII and x3
thefriscokid
GLIB

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:43 pm

Well thanks for the reviews or comments then, Friscokid. You are quite welcome to carry on a bit about your feelings on these films if you want. There's nothing stopping you.

Anyway, I Saw United 93.

As far as the facts and details being true, this film is brilliant. The scenes in the different control rooms that were trying to deal with the events of the 4 plane crashes are genuinely shocking, disturbing and will generate the same feelings of horror that you'd have if you was watching the events on the news the very first time you saw it, or if you was actually there in the different control rooms with these people (a lot of the actual people that were in charge in real life actually appear 'As Himself' here, hopefully lending 100% reality to what went on).

The second half of the film being on the actual United 93 flight just left me nauseated. Seeing the passengers just being their normal selves, showing who they were and what their lives were just makes you bury your head in your hands and sigh in despair as you know full well what is in store for them and that this is all real.

Then once the bloody and violent hijack takes place and when the passengers finally take action against the terrorists, your head just ends up feeling numb and sick. Quite simply, it feels like you're really there. Not just 'cos these events are close to you, but because they are so realistically shot and acted. No cliched acting or dialogue, (the bits where passengers are phoning their families to tell them they love them drag on a bit, but heh, I guess that's the point, seeing as these calls were probably actually made) and the camerawork is so giddying and all over the place that you can hardly see straight sometimes. I felt like I was with the passengers and that everything was so chaotic that I kept on thinking what would I do if I was in their position, only that I would be in a state of shock and terror to make this so difficult to do. So yeah, a lot of the emotions you would feel in being on this doomed flight you do end up going through whilst you sit in the cinema with this film projected in front of you.

And as for that horrible but nearly happy ending, well that's the final punch in how horrid that flight was, not just in what DID happen, but in the fact that this plane and the passengers could have been saved, but finally weren't.

I thought it was dreadful to watch this film, but obviously in a way that made the film successful in it's goals, what it was trying to do. It really is a powerful re-enacment, real or speculated, of a horrific morning in America.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:59 pm

Saw Hard Candy. 14 year old girl turns the tables on a 30 off year old guy who she suspects of being a paedophile.

Pretty cool film. Saw it for Ellen Page's performance after hearing rave things about her, and yes she is outstanding in it. Supposed to be playing a 14 year old when in realiy Page was about 19 at the time of filming, but still, 14 or 19, she does have an adult maturity that is well beyond her age. Very commanding, intimidating, but simply just so enjoyable an eldlessly watchable on screen. Patrick Wilson as the photographer is real captivating and just as fulfilling in his role, and actually supplies the loud dramatics against Page's cool and in control sadism, screaming and shouting his head off when he's not brilliantly dripping with fear.

The beginning of the film is quite eery to watch, when the 2 first meet up and flirt quite a bit with each other, and even when they're just interacting as 'friends'.

It's sort of presenting a mirror to yourself and asking you what you would be like in such a situation, how you would behave, and if you would condone their behaviour or see it as innocent. It's disturbing to watch as the movie seems to deliberatly thrust Page's obviously 'cute' face right in front of yours, whilst at the same time presenting moments between the two that make you just look away in sickness.

Most notably it shows their relationship at the start - and right throughout the changing tone of the movie - in full on, in your face, close ups of the actors to real unnerving effect, nakedly exposing just how intimate but wrong and sexual their interactions might be, but again, it puts you right there standing face to face with the 2 people, as if forcing you to decide what to do with the each person if you was in the other one's shoes.

Then the mood switches as Page's character shows what her true intentions are, and the movie becomes a psychological/physical terror game.

I also liked the idea that Page's character is a complete mystery and her deep down reasons for her actions are not shown. This decision actually makes complete sense when looking back on the film.

There's quite a few moments of pushing reality and trying to get the audience to buy how certain things could happen, and some of the character's actions need a lot more convincing to me, but overall, thanks to the riveting performances alone, the thriller works confidently enough. My favourite thing though is Ellen Page, it's the film's main selling point, and I can't wait to see what other stuff she's done or has coming up.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby mushookie on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:01 pm

anybody else watch Eureka 7?
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Location: The land where Alice Cooper's "Frankenstien" will never be fed.

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:19 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:My favourite thing though is Ellen Page, it's the film's main selling point, and I can't wait to see what other stuff she's done or has coming up.

I actually quite enjoyed her as Kitty Pride in X3...

And she's Canadian to boot...

And nice review Kirk - just adds more cementing to the fact that I wanna see this film...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:23 pm

Yeah, she really stood out in all of her tiny little scenes in X3, even simple things as her sitting silent at the X Funeral.

X3 made me want to see her in Hard Candy actually.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:16 am

Hard Candy just didn't do it to me!

I can see why its liked. I can see what they were trying to do. I can see that everyone involved has a talent on some level, some more than others. It did look good. It was interesting to see a Digital Colorist get a front end credit! It liked the end and it certainly didn't bore me

However there were problems not least of all I didn't know who to route for!

I'm sure this at times was the point but then, for me at least, it just didn't work!

Once you're certain he is a peado, then he is the baddy! No doubt

But you weren't sure to the end. If you went in thinking about it, it migh tbe ovious, cos otherwise you ain't got a film. Of have you?

I liked to take a film scene by scene when I first see it. If I start guessing at things, or predicting where it might go (unless it is soooo shit that it is obious - like a Seagal movie - its hard not ot predict hte end) but somehting like this, I like to have it take me on a ride.

But the powerplay back and forth was nice to begin with, but after a while I was left with out a protaganist to truley belive in.

I thought it might go down the route that Ellen Page is just setting this guy up. She is a troubled teen and is going to shout to the world how this guy abused or, or at least tried to. Because that happens in the world, and that is fucking scary.

Or I thought he wa sa peado and was going to get busted. That Ellen was right and therefor, in the realms of the film, give the guy a hard time!

But the filmmaker never wants you to know. I can see why he did it. Obviously it worked for a lot of people. BUt for me, I just didn't know who to route for and after beign stuck in the middle for so long I just thought FUCK IT. So when it did turn out to be him in the end, despite it being enjoyable and the end beind a highlight, all true drama, tension and emotional involvement was gone.

I wonder if it had gone the other way and we found out that she was indeed a nutjob setting up a naive young man... but I suspect I still would have had the same feeling at the end. Its not about who was right or wrong in the END. BUt it was when we found out.

:-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby tylerfulltilt on Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:38 am

I finally got around to seeing cache'.

My god what a overwrought boring piece of crap.

one of only a handful of movies I've not been able to finish.
tylerlizenby.wordpress.com

Wherein I attempt to say thing about movies I've seen.
tylerfulltilt
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby underscore on Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:27 pm

I saw The Queen. What.

It was actually really good.
underscore
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby wonkabar on Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:36 am

Behind you Jamie, behiiind youuuu
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:58 pm

Going to watch Departed today.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:32 pm

underscore wrote:I saw The Queen.

you saw Burl?!?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby underscore on Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:54 pm

Lately I saw Bond and The History Boys.

Bond was brilliant.

History Boys... not.
underscore
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:53 pm

Just finished seeing Apocalypto, which came out in the UK today. Not gonna go into a KCBC/Locke-sized (or quality) review, mostly because you've probably seen it already, but also because I've been working all day and I'm knackered.

Fuck. Hing. Hell.

At the beginning I thought this was gonna be a bit like The Gods Must be Crazy...and then I thought, hey this is kinda like a holocaust movie directed by Miike; then finally, I just sat back and let my heart and eyes do all the work.

Still, there's one very personal thing that kinda pissed me off. I wrote a 20k word story a couple of years ago called The Emissary of the Gods, about two tribes, the Flatheads and the Slopeheads; one of them slaughters the other; there is a pregnant woman featured throughout, plus the Emissary is a jaguar-sensei dude. It was also kinda about the encroachment of the West upon ye olde world............

I know this thing happened to MasterWheders, and I know it's happened to thousands of other people, but I'm still not entirely certain that Mel "Goebbels" Gibson (:wink:) didn't hack into my harddrive and steal my story.

:x

Ah well, loved the film anyway. What I loved even more, though, is watching aging Mel Gibson fans'- accompanied by Mid-Life Crisis femme-bait- eyes slowly pop out of their heads. I'm certain they mentally screened out 98% of the movie, watched the last minute, with the cute little chirpy kid giggling, and thought, "Ah, what a lovely film".

8.5/10 (It would have been higher if not for that plagiarism thing. Guy could always have given me a call or something, I'm sure I would have been willing to make some sort of arrangement.)
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:47 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Just finished seeing Apocalypto, which came out in the UK today. Not gonna go into a KCBC/Locke-sized (or quality) review, mostly because you've probably seen it already, but also because I've been working all day and I'm knackered.

Fuck. Hing. Hell.

At the beginning I thought this was gonna be a bit like The Gods Must be Crazy...and then I thought, hey this is kinda like a holocaust movie directed by Miike; then finally, I just sat back and let my heart and eyes do all the work.

Still, there's one very personal thing that kinda pissed me off. I wrote a 20k word story a couple of years ago called The Emissary of the Gods, about two tribes, the Flatheads and the Slopeheads; one of them slaughters the other; there is a pregnant woman featured throughout, plus the Emissary is a jaguar-sensei dude. It was also kinda about the encroachment of the West upon ye olde world............

I know this thing happened to MasterWheders, and I know it's happened to thousands of other people, but I'm still not entirely certain that Mel "Goebbels" Gibson (:wink:) didn't hack into my harddrive and steal my story.

:x

Ah well, loved the film anyway. What I loved even more, though, is watching aging Mel Gibson fans'- accompanied by Mid-Life Crisis femme-bait- eyes slowly pop out of their heads. I'm certain they mentally screened out 98% of the movie, watched the last minute, with the cute little chirpy kid giggling, and thought, "Ah, what a lovely film".

8.5/10 (It would have been higher if not for that plagiarism thing. Guy could always have given me a call or something, I'm sure I would have been willing to make some sort of arrangement.)

Are you to goebbels to write this damn thing here...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:54 pm

Latest movie I've seen is Apocalypto - a decent adventure flick. It's not just about a bunch of Mayans running through the jungle as the previews would have you believe.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby DDMAN26 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:30 pm

I saw Rocky Balboa tonight and loved it.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby justcheckin on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:08 pm

I just saw The Wicker Man... 2006 unrated version...

AH... I was a little disappointed by the ending...
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:47 am

This weekend I was finally able to get out and see Rocky Balboa, which was just fantastic, I also saw the Holiday, which surprised me a little as I didn't think it would be all that good.
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Seppuku on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:22 pm

Just caught The Last King of Scotland with my Unlimited cinema voucher my [now ex] girlfriend gave me for Christmas. Heh, I guess it was a bad investment on her part considering we broke up a couple of days later, but I'm not complaining.

This film is like a "real-life" version of The Devil's Own, but with one little difference...it's not a complete piece of shit. In fact, it's bloody amazing. It starts out in a fairly breezy, laid-back, Brit-flick sort of manner, and, come the end of the movie, brings to mind a certain scene from Ichi the Killer. The fact that it changed gears without me even noticing the transition is just one of its good points. Others include: PLENTY of gorgeous, naked Ugandan flesh; Forest Whittaker bringin' method back to the masses in an acting job so amazing that I completely forgot the cute, studly footballer in Fast Times at Ridgemont High; great turns by Kerry Washington, Gillian Anderson and James McAvoy.

Only part I'd say I wasn't the biggest fan of was the scheming, snidey English guy. His "offer" didn't go anywhere, and the guy who played him wasn't all that hot. Maybe if Forest Whittaker wasn't firing on all cylinders in the same movie, I wouldn't have noticed the meh performance.

I'm just glad to see a really good British film four production actually pay off(these are the guys who did Trainspotting way back when). 100% check it out if you get the opportunity.

8.855/10

OK, fuck it: 9/10.
Last edited by Seppuku on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:29 pm

I hope Forrest gets the Oscar, he's one of the best actors around and has had one hell of a year when you consider his outstanding performance in The Shield last season.

Can't wait to see The Last King of Scotland, I'm also intrigued to see what Kevin Macdonald can achieve with flat out drama (rather than Documentary or Drama-documentary like the brilliant Touching the Void and One Day in September).
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Seppuku on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:38 pm

Yeah, I did think about the Touching the Void re-enactionmentary (hmm, come to think of it I think I'll stick with "drama-documentary") when I was watching this. In a way this movie's a lot slicker, but I could imagine it not working in another director's hands. Like the scenes where the Scottish doctor's living it up as Idi Amin's right-hand man...you could imagine some shitty Goodfellas/Scarface "I'm the king of the world" rip-off, but he handled it quite well.

I guess I won't go into it in too much detail until you've seen it, but make sure you tell me what you think J-Lo (haha, most irritating nickname EVAR) when you see it. I reckon you'll probably really enjoy it.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:49 pm

John-Locke wrote:I hope Forrest gets the Oscar, he's one of the best actors around and has had one hell of a year when you consider his outstanding performance in The Shield last season.

I heard he had a really good guest role on "ER" as well. He ought to win something to compensate for being snubbed at the Emmys, in any case.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby brainiac on Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:01 am

A Yank's take on The Queen:

Helen Mirren is properly frosty, and the other actors slide into their roles as though born to play them while supposedly giving the "insider's view" into the workings of the Royal Family during the week after Diana's death. That the Royals felt Diana was more of a royal pain in the ass while alive is brought home with quips and barbs about her seeming to play to the camera and how she is no longer part of "our" family. Forgetting of course that she would be forever (as portrayed by Blair's speech writer) The People's Princess.

Deeply grieving, the people of Britain turned to the Royals for comfort. None was forth coming. In a matter of days, the people began to turn on a Queen who could seem so heartless and cold. The Queen's biggest mistake it seems was in not comforting her people in their time of sorrow regardless what she thought of Diana.

Luckily, protocol and historic precedent were set aside for a brief connection to the country in mourning. The monarchy was saved from its own pig-headedness and Tony Blair's popularity was cemented.

Two things stand out in this movie besides Mirren's stoicism: Prince Charles' fragile personality (no wonder she doesn't want to turn her kingdom over to him) and the magnificent stag or hart that can sometimes be seen as part of the mythology of a visit or help from a spirit of the dead. (H@rry Potter's Dad appears as a White Hart in the Prisoner of Azkaban.) The hart seemed to affect the Queen more than the death of the Mother of her grandsons. (She keeps telling everyone that she is helping her grandsons grieve but not once is she seen to speak with them much less comfort them.)

This is a sad and affecting movie especially seeing Diana's youth and beauty so swiftly extinguished.

Excellent showing from all involved. And a reminder that public opinion can and does change history.

How do those of you living under the Monarchy feel about the movie?
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:00 pm

brainiac wrote:A Yank's take on The Queen:

Helen Mirren is properly frosty, and the other actors slide into their roles as though born to play them while supposedly giving the "insider's view" into the workings of the Royal Family during the week after Diana's death. That the Royals felt Diana was more of a royal pain in the ass while alive is brought home with quips and barbs about her seeming to play to the camera and how she is no longer part of "our" family. Forgetting of course that she would be forever (as portrayed by Blair's speech writer) The People's Princess.

Deeply grieving, the people of Britain turned to the Royals for comfort. None was forth coming. In a matter of days, the people began to turn on a Queen who could seem so heartless and cold. The Queen's biggest mistake it seems was in not comforting her people in their time of sorrow regardless what she thought of Diana.

Luckily, protocol and historic precedent were set aside for a brief connection to the country in mourning. The monarchy was saved from its own pig-headedness and Tony Blair's popularity was cemented.

Two things stand out in this movie besides Mirren's stoicism: Prince Charles' fragile personality (no wonder she doesn't want to turn her kingdom over to him) and the magnificent stag or hart that can sometimes be seen as part of the mythology of a visit or help from a spirit of the dead. (H@rry Potter's Dad appears as a White Hart in the Prisoner of Azkaban.) The hart seemed to affect the Queen more than the death of the Mother of her grandsons. (She keeps telling everyone that she is helping her grandsons grieve but not once is she seen to speak with them much less comfort them.)

This is a sad and affecting movie especially seeing Diana's youth and beauty so swiftly extinguished.

Excellent showing from all involved. And a reminder that public opinion can and does change history.

Well, as someone who firmly believes that The Monarchy should be abolished I openly admit I'd probably go into this movie with a certain amount of biased and preconception. A fault on my part, I know. But I remember the death of Diana well; and frankly the reaction to it in the UK was puzzling and slightly absurd. Of course it was a shock - she seemed a decent person, cruelly treated by The Royal House Of Windsor when alive - but at the end of the day I agree with what Gore Vidal said about it all: "The public were not crying for Diana, they were crying for themselves." People seemed caught up in a frenzy of grief that had no basis in reality - even some of my friends (though now they won't admit it; go figure). So, yes, it was a shame she died, but nothing more than that. As for the reaction of the Royal Family during that period? To be honest, it was no great surprise. They treated her like dirt when alive, so why be different in death?
This may be a terrible thing to say, but I bet in the weeks and months after there were some within that Institution who were cracking open a few bottle of champagne, toasting the fact that the biggest threat to them was now buried six feet under, never to be a thorn in their side again.
And time has proved them right.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:56 pm

Just saw Apocalyptoe and Son which I thought was a brilliant, harrowing film. So much dreadful violence in there. I can't believe anyone was cheering at those sacrifices. I seriously think you're fucked up to be doing that, no joking, I really do.

Then I saw Casino Royale for the third time. Even on this view it still is such a strong movie, let alone a great Bond Movie., it just is such an excellent film all on it's own. So powerfully done in parts, great character study as much as it can be, great drama and suspense film, and even an engrossing love story. Not only does Craig make his performance possibly the best Bond yet, with his willingness to explore his ugly side but still make Bond a character that excites you and that you care for, and never mind how realistically this guy was portrayed, one other thing I liked about this film, is that you really feel that Bond went on a real character arc, something that you virtually never feel with his films.

I really don't know if they can top this film with the next one. I know there are ways to do it, but I just dunno, it's just such a hard Bond movie to top, and I have doubts that such lightning can strike twice.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:02 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:

Well, as someone who firmly believes that The Monarchy should be abolished I openly admit I'd probably go into this movie with a certain amount of biased and preconception. A fault on my part, I know. But I remember the death of Diana well; and frankly the reaction to it in the UK was puzzling and slightly absurd. Of course it was a shock - she seemed a decent person, cruelly treated by The Royal House Of Windsor when alive - but at the end of the day I agree with what Gore Vidal said about it all: "The public were not crying for Diana, they were crying for themselves." People seemed caught up in a frenzy of grief that had no basis in reality - even some of my friends (though now they won't admit it; go figure). So, yes, it was a shame she died, but nothing more than that. As for the reaction of the Royal Family during that period? To be honest, it was no great surprise. They treated her like dirt when alive, so why be different in death?
This may be a terrible thing to say, but I bet in the weeks and months after there were some within that Institution who were cracking open a few bottle of champagne, toasting the fact that the biggest threat to them was now buried six feet under, never to be a thorn in their side again.

Damn straight. When ever I hear that "queen of hearts" bollocks I want to puke.
It's a competition of grief as well, who can be the most affected, the most compassionate. URRRGH.
It was the same when the queen mother died too.

[/republican rant]
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:41 am

TonyWilson wrote:
HollywoodBabylon wrote:

Damn straight. When ever I hear that "queen of hearts" bollocks I want to puke.
It's a competition of grief as well, who can be the most affected, the most compassionate. URRRGH.
It was the same when the queen mother died too.

[/republican rant]

Spot on about the Queen Mother, TW. The media went predictably anal about it all - for instance about how she 'looked the East End in the eye' during the blitz on London in World War 2 (wow); about how 'ordinary people' thought of her as 'one of their own', 'the Nation's granny' with a common touch.
Please.
Just how gullible do they think we are?
Everyone I know didn't give a stuff about the death of some rich old biddy. And the only reason the silly old bag lived to a 100 or so is because she led a life of luxury and privilege (included first class medical care 24/7) at the taxpayer's expense. OUR expense.
A pity the millions of other ordinary pensioners didn't/don't have the same. Maybe they'd live to 100 as well.
That's why this movie The Queen means zilch to me. Like I say, good luck to Helen Mirren, Frears and the rest of them. And, yes, my view is maybe biased (maybe!) - but I'm firmly of the belief that this is exactly the type of movie beloved by the mainstream award shows especially the likes of BAFTA (cue luvvie speech) and The Oscars (cue cry-fest speech). It's as predictable as night follows day.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

What have you been Watching? (Cinema)

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:25 am

Saw Smokin Aces tonight!

FUCKING A! I loved it!

Its built like SNATCH, with the various charecters interceting with each other.

Its a great FUCK YOU movie... I'll leave it at that... Describing it right now... Cant.. Still soaking it in. Im just saying.. GO FUCKING SEE IT.. NOW!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby dascapital on Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:53 pm

Was supposed to see Babel last night (in Sydney, Australia) with friends, but they were late and the movie was sold out. :shock:

Went to see Christopher Guest's "For Your Consideration", mainly because no one else in the group wanted to take a chance on Pan's Labyrinth. :(

The film takes us behind the scenes of the studio picture 'Home For Purram', characterised by it's Jewishness and overacting. We get to see the actors hamming it up, the ego conflicts between the director and writers, and the consequences of a rumour that the film is generating 'Oscar Buzz'. While FYC has a few funny moments it brings nowhere near the number of laughs as "Best in Show", my favorite mockumentary of all time (Sorry Borat).

While there was certainly material there, IMO either Guest didn't go in for the kill (he has been much meaner in the past when skewering his characters) or these people have been parodied so often (Extras, SNL, MADTv) and celebs are turning into caricatures themselves, that the final film had less of an impact. Not a bad movie by any means but strictly a DVD rental.

Performance wise, Fred Willard is the standout as the vapid ET-style host and Ricky Gervais is a nice surprise as a studio exec, but is underutilised.

So a quick rank of the Guest films I've seen:

1. Best in Show
2. Spinal Tap (even though he didn't direct it)
3. Waiting for Guffman (Bite My Pillow!)
4. For Your Consideration - Not really a mockumentary
dascapital
GLIB

Postby John-Locke on Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:19 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Just caught The Last King of Scotland with my Unlimited cinema voucher my [now ex] girlfriend gave me for Christmas. Heh, I guess it was a bad investment on her part considering we broke up a couple of days later, but I'm not complaining.

This film is like a "real-life" version of The Devil's Own, but with one little difference...it's not a complete piece of shit. In fact, it's bloody amazing. It starts out in a fairly breezy, laid-back, Brit-flick sort of manner, and, come the end of the movie, brings to mind a certain scene from Ichi the Killer. The fact that it changed gears without me even noticing the transition is just one of its good points. Others include: PLENTY of gorgeous, naked Ugandan flesh; Forest Whittaker bringin' method back to the masses in an acting job so amazing that I completely forgot the cute, studly footballer in Fast Times at Ridgemont High; great turns by Kerry Washington, Gillian Anderson and James McAvoy.

Only part I'd say I wasn't the biggest fan of was the scheming, snidey English guy. His "offer" didn't go anywhere, and the guy who played him wasn't all that hot. Maybe if Forest Whittaker wasn't firing on all cylinders in the same movie, I wouldn't have noticed the meh performance.

I'm just glad to see a really good British film four production actually pay off(these are the guys who did Trainspotting way back when). 100% check it out if you get the opportunity.

8.855/10

OK, fuck it: 9/10.

I just saw this and you know what? I really didn't like it except for the powerhouse performance from Whitaker which really was one of the all time great performances, when he's on screen the film works and is simply astoundingly good but the rest of the film in no way manages to equal his performance.

The Cinematography is effective, it actually strengthens Whitakers performance at times by being jerky when he starts a sentence as if the cameraman is intimidated by him and is flinching through the power of his presence when he speaks. They also did a good job making the film look like that news/documentary footage of Amin that you may be familiar with.

Pretty much everything else just didn't work for me, I studied African Cinema in College so I am very familiar with the post colonial Africa themes and have seen them used with much more power in films like Ousmane Sembenes' "Xala" and his Short film "Borom sarret". All the Last King of Scotland seemed to want to do was blame everything on the British without showing how the newly Independently governed country had become corrupt with possibly even more extreme consequences than it had under British rule (I must confess I don't know too much about the Ugandan Colonial History but I assume that the Brits didn't kill as many people as Amin did in such a short space of time, not in more recent more civilised 20th century history anyway).

The film gave Amin no context, what was his background other than he was born into poverty, joined the British Army and later as a Ugandan General overthrew the Government to become President? What was the real political climate like? What was the effect on the everyday person really like? Why was keeping the peace in Uganda so hard?

We got very little of any of that except a feeling that the stuff was going on somewhere outside what the film was showing us.

What we did get was this shitty unbelievable character played very badly by McAvoy at the centre of the story. He was a completely naive asshole who continued to act like a selfish gentleman even after you were sure he had learned his lesson, I felt absolutely no sympathy for him and his totally unbelievable character and bad acting made it impossible for me to even feel a slight bit of empathy either.

I think this was what Kevin Macdonald was trying for to an extent, he wanted to use the McAvoy character as a symbol of British naivety in Colonial Africa, simply strolling in and taking what we wanted before leaving them in a mess, it just didn't feel like he really explored the whole situation fully enough to satisfy my curiosity as to what happened in Uganda in the 70's. It was a nice try poorly executed.

Watch it for Whitakers outstanding performance, it's a shame that the film wasn't just about him with the McAvoy character given less screen time and importance in the story. If they had more balls and made a film about all of Amins time in power it could have been something really special.

6.5/10 only because of Whitakers 10/10 performance otherwise it would get a 5.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby LeFlambeur on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:55 pm

It occured to me today that out of the last six films I've seen at the multiplex (Apocalypto, Children of Men, Curse of the Golden Flower, Volver, Letters from Iwo Jima, and Pan's Labyrinth) five of them were subtitled. If two years ago you had told me that would happen, I would have laughed in your face.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:01 am

Notes On A Scandal.

Seen this yesterday.
First impressions were that the slightly hysterical tone of it somewhat nullified it's overall effectiveness and, worse still, compromised the story to a point where the melodrama took over from the actual drama and ruined what could have been an interesting study in obsession, loneliness and jealously.

The story's premise is actually quite promising: young, attractive female teacher (for some stupid reason called Sheba) arrives at new school and is drawn into an affair with a young male pupil which is discovered and exploited by another, more elderly female teacher who then proceeds to blackmail Sheba in order to buy her friendship completely to the point where she wants to become a total part of her life.

So far, so good. There seemed much to explore within this story. The suffocation of lives dominated by unfufillment and solitariness; the sad means of someone who wants so much to feel part of something or someone and the wretched means they'll go to in order to achieve that purpose when such an opportunity arises; all this as well as the spite, jealousies and longings which surface when emotional attachments come to the fore between people. But, to be honest, what could have been a compelling study in friendship (both platonic and hinting at sexual) was waylaid by a too heavy-handed approach to the whole drama of it all. There's no subtlety in this film; it doesn't so much wear it's heart on it's sleeve as make it bleed all over the place. The tension contained in it is spoilt for me by
over-wroughtness and a tendency to telephone it's intentions in (cue. dramatic music and pretty overbearing voiceovers). The more the Dench character (Barbara) tightens the screw on Sheba, the more the film descends in a kind of grand guignol. A shame really. I had quite good expectations of it but came away feeling an opportunity was missed.

On the plus side, however, performances were fairly good. Blanchett was the right side of bitch/victim and Bill Nighy (though not given much to do with his last-lustre character) was watchable. As for Judi Dench, she was the saving grace of the movie for me. Overripe the drama may've been, but her performance was a full on heady mixture of a woman possessed by ultimate sadness but one, also, who cannot help being cruel and spiteful in order to get what she so desperately desires. Her performance deserved a better movie IMO.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:13 pm

Just got back from a double Bill of Pursuit of Happyness and Rocky Balboa (again). Got to catch these movies on their last night before they're gone forever. Bit gutted I didn't get to see Peter 'O Toole in Venus though (that movies gone from that cinema now). The rest of my list can wait until next week.

Ain't got time to do some half assed review of my 2 films, all I can say is that right now, after a double whammy Hurting Bomb punch of CARPE DIEM'sms(!!!) - I really wanna rethink my life. And my brain.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Next

Return to Movie Discussion