What have you been watching? (Cinema)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: What have you been watching? (Cinema)

Postby Maui on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:55 pm

Fievel wrote:Saw Lego Batman with the family today.
Probably the most entertaining Batman film I've seen. I can't get over how much I was laughing throughout the film. There were so many quick jokes and references during the movie. It will likely take many viewings to get them all. And the overall plot of the film* is so absurd for being part of the Batman universe (every Batman film is directly referenced at some point)....even though this version of Batman is part of the Lego film universe..... and that barely makes sense, if at all.

*The plot being that Joker gets himself intentionally sent to The Phantom Zone with the intention of recruiting the worst villains there to bring back to Earth to destroy Gotham... all because Batman denies the bond and relationship that he and Joker have. And those recruited villains include The Eye of Sauron, Voldemort, Dracula, the Gremlins, and the Wicked Witch from Wizard of Oz, among others. I didn't really get this from the trailers i saw, so the inclusion of those other-property villains really through me for a loop and had me laughing my ass off.

Very entertaining film.

Cool. It's been #1 at the box office for 2 weeks in a row. I'll be checking this film out soon. I just love Lego humour. Not sure if you play the Lego console games but the cut scenes are hilarious.

Will Arnett was very funny as Batman in The Lego Movie, so I'm sure he's on point again in this film.
Maui
WoWie

Paterson

Postby Maui on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:33 am

I watched Paterson the other night. It's a delightful, quirky little film. Adam Driver is exceptionally good in this.
A soulful, poetic look at the very mundane life of a bus driver (who also happens to be a poet). Good stuff.

Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:25 am

The kids are on spring break so we went to see Boss Baby yesterday. My kids (ages 6, 7, & 8) are the target audience. I, as a parent, am the secondary target. We all laughed our asses off. Would I have enjoyed it as much had I watched it by myself? No way. But a good chunk of my enjoyment came from experiencing my kids enjoying the film. Something that made me smile, made them howl with laughter - and then my smile turned into a laugh.

Was this the best film I have ever seen? Hardly, but it's not trying to be. I guess that's why they call these "family films."

I really wish movie reviewers kept the term "target audience" in mind with a pinch of empathy as they watch films.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:25 pm

I read that Alec Baldwin made the movie worth watching

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:56 pm

What have I been watching?

You.

Very closely.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Wolfpack wrote:What have I been watching?

You.

Very closely.

dammit. i knew i shoulda thrown out my microwave the moment kellyanne told me it was spying on me...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:46 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:What have I been watching?

You.

Very closely.

dammit. i knew i shoulda thrown out my microwave the moment kellyanne told me it was spying on me...

Is that a new flavor of Hot Pocket? It seems...different than what you usually use.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Notes on Blindness. This is just a beautiful film. My mother is slowly going blind and in some very small way, this made me understand what goes through ones mind as their vision starts to deteriorate. Exceptional film.
Maui
WoWie

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion