What have you been watching? (Cinema)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:31 am

RogueScribner wrote:Can I ask a stupid question? What's the difference between this thread and the random movie reviews thread?

This thread was started about 6 months earlier
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:11 pm

Well, the other one should be locked then.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:32 pm

while the title of Wonka's thread certainly makes the threads seem akin, really, read his mission statement...

wonkabar wrote:This a thread where you can spout-off random thoughts about anything in or about movies without having to start a new topic or search for an existing discussion. Think of it as the "general interest" of Movie Reviews.

this thread - for reviews of either new indie/undground/can't be bothered to search out if a thread exists already/no thread exists already films and older films from years gone by one has caught on the big screen during either a revival or a one-shot showing at a specialty theater.

Wonka's thread, if his mission statement is to be believed and, bigger IF, I'm interpreting it correctly, is meant for just spouting off opinions and thoughts, one-liners, put-downs, snark, insight, analysis of any movie that one desires. It also serves for the lazy and search-tarded who can't be bothered to look if a thread on the movie they have something to say about exists already.

For example, if I wanted to review, say, I dunno, Tyler Perry's latest cinematic opus - I would do it here.

If I wanted to kvetch about just how and why Tyler Perry has a career in the first place, then that's for Wonka's thread.

Admittedly, his thread should have a different title, certainly expunge "Review" from the wording - but, contrary to the other two mods that have chimed in, I see reason for both...plus, I've tried to convince Wonka to remove other threads he's started, and I get nowhere with his impeccable logic.

So this has been mulled and debated already - sheesh, what do you think us mods do, just gossip about you hoopleheads all day long?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:21 pm

So we can discuss Tyler Perry here?

The thread will die. Perhaps that is the intent.
Maui
WoWie

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:17 pm

It just seems confusing when we have this thread about quick movie reviews (but only ones viewed in the cinema), the other thread I linked to about movie reviews (with no stipulations on how you viewed it), and then this thread where you can review movies you've seen on TV/DVD. Considering people are either going to view movies at the cinema or on DVD/TV, we have one thread too many, methinks. Wonka's thread should be renamed or closed, IMO.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby tapehead on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:37 pm

I'd like to state for the record that I find the illogical and disorderly arrangement of having two threads is nice and not at all confusing, and plan to post randomly in either or both threads in the future.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Maui on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:38 pm

I agree, I like the state of confusion that it puts some Zoners in.
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:58 pm

a little disorder makes the place feel lived in.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:22 am

Lars and The Real Girl.

Pleasantly surprised. It could've veered off either into Farrelly territory or syrupy schmaltz, but given it's subject matter stayed this side of tastefully endearing. It reminded me a bit of Harold and Maude - both quirky and slightly off-kilter in terms of subject matter but handled without recourse to judging it's characters or making fun of them. Lars isn't quite in the same league - but still, it's thoroughly enjoyable and highly watchable. Gosling yet again excells in a role which I thought slightly resembled Peter Sellers in Being There - all naive and innocent yet there's a strange logic there that you do buy into. He really is becoming a most versatile and accomplished actor. Well worth the admission price.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:24 pm

Saw The Sadist the other night and freaking loved it. One of those movies where you have the simplest setup- just one location and one focus- 3 teachers held hostage and terrorized by "The Sadist" and his girlfriend, but you get more bang for your buck from that then some of the most big budget operatic epics.

The film was shot to perfection. Every setup was perfectly framed and it has to be the most gorgeous looking junkyard ever committed to celluloid (Vilmos Zsigmond was the DP...so no wonder.)

Plus Arch Hall Jr. has the most magnificent mug! My God. You know when people say "Look at that mug!" It doesn't matter who they were talking about. They were actually talking about Arch Hall Jr.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Forbidden Zombie

Postby sagenonpareil on Wed May 07, 2008 3:51 pm

Caught a couple of theatrical releases recently, Funny because the movie I thought I'd like the most I ended up disliking and the one I figured I'd be indifferent at best about I actually really enjoyed. That said don’t waist your box office dollars on Forbidden Kingdom. Although if you are interested in just having a jolly old theatre going time then go and see Zombie Strippers with Jena Jameson. Trust me you haven’t seen zombies tell you've seen em pole dance.
sagenonpareil
GLIB

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 07, 2008 3:58 pm

thanks for the highly personalized news, sage.

but, um, you couldn't have, maybe, you know, placed those thoughts into the respective threads for each film? Forbidden Kingdom here, Zombie Strippers here

or put this in personal and promotional?

or in What Have You Been Watching?, Stray Film Thoughts, or in the Movie Journal Thread?
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 07, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 07, 2008 3:59 pm

In other words ...
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby so sorry on Wed May 07, 2008 4:03 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:thanks for the highly personalized news, sage.

but, um, you couldn't have, maybe, you know, placed those thoughts into the respective threads for each film?

or put this in personal and promotional?

or in Random Movie Reviews, Stray Film Thoughts, or in the Movie Journal Thread?

me-OW!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed May 07, 2008 4:24 pm

And we are still open?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Re: Forbidden Zombie

Postby papalazeru on Wed May 07, 2008 4:33 pm

sagenonpareil wrote:.... old theatre going time then go and see Zombie Strippers with Jena Jameson. Trust me you haven’t seen zombies tell you've seen em pole dance.

IT'S JENNA.

God you'd think people would spell her name properly now she's a famous actress.....

;)

Can't wait for Hilary Scott to get a part in the new Batman film.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 07, 2008 4:46 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:And we are still open?

i like to read responses from the punters responsible for the dubious threads, just to maybe get a glimpse at what they were thinking when they started the thread...

MOD EDIT: merged..

-Moo
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: What have you been Watching? (Cinema)

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:55 am

DaleTremont wrote:Saw The Sadist the other night and freaking loved it. One of those movies where you have the simplest setup- just one location and one focus- 3 teachers held hostage and terrorized by "The Sadist" and his girlfriend, but you get more bang for your buck from that then some of the most big budget operatic epics.

The film was shot to perfection. Every setup was perfectly framed and it has to be the most gorgeous looking junkyard ever committed to celluloid (Vilmos Zsigmond was the DP...so no wonder.)

Plus Arch Hall Jr. has the most magnificent mug! My God. You know when people say "Look at that mug!" It doesn't matter who they were talking about. They were actually talking about Arch Hall Jr.

Awesome one Dale!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:18 am

Well... I did what probably NONE OF YOU DID TONIGHT!

I saw..

THE LOVE GURU!

Yes, I actually forked out $11 for a movie that so far, everyone has taken a huge shit on.

I can see why.. Its mindless, crude, filled with sexual humor, and the plot is paper thin...

and thats why I enjoyed the fuck out of it so much. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes. The Love Guru is a dumb fucking movie.. but its a GOOD, dumb fucking movie. Not a bad dumb fucking movie like DATE MOVIE, or MEET THE SPARTANS, or FOOLS GOLD.. NO! Its a dumb fucking movie that has laughs if you like crude, dumb humor.. which I enjoy in spades!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:47 am

bastard_robo wrote:Well... I did what probably NONE OF YOU DID TONIGHT!

I saw..

THE LOVE GURU!

Yes, I actually forked out $11 for a movie that so far, everyone has taken a huge shit on.

I can see why.. Its mindless, crude, filled with sexual humor, and the plot is paper thin...

and thats why I enjoyed the fuck out of it so much. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes. The Love Guru is a dumb fucking movie.. but its a GOOD, dumb fucking movie. Not a bad dumb fucking movie like DATE MOVIE, or MEET THE SPARTANS, or FOOLS GOLD.. NO! Its a dumb fucking movie that has laughs if you like crude, dumb humor.. which I enjoy in spades!

Whoa...wait a minute...
I just watched Fool's Gold...
And I'm not going to defend it and say it's not dumb...or that it's a good movie...but it did manage to sneak in a brief single frame tit shot...in a PG movie...
It also had Alexis Dziena running around the whole time in various forms of bikini-ness...
Which is nice...because everytime I saw her I kept picturing some scene from Broken Flowers...
So watch Broken Flowers first if you're planning to watch Fool's Gold and I guarantee it will be at least have a moment or two that it's not atrocious...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby instant_karma on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:46 pm

I've been to see a couple of films at the Edinburgh International Film Festival.

First was Los Cronocrímenes (Timecrimes), a Spanish time travel movie. Like many time travel movies, the protagonist seeks to alter his fate only to find himself locking himself further into it with each step. There's a very dry, dark humour to the movie, with a great central performance by Karra Elejalde who at towards the end closely resembles Wile E. Coyote in terms of shoulder shrugging resignation. If you enjoyed the temporal puzzle piece Primer, you'll probably get a kick out of this. At the very least, it's good argument fodder for a bunch of friends to try and work out what the protagonist should have done to change things. 8/10

Red was the next film I saw. Based on a novel by Jack Ketchum, Red is the story of a Avery Ludlow (Brian Cox), a quiet, simple living widower will not give up on seeking some measure of justice when his old mutt Red is callously killed by some teenagers. Avery's reasonable requests for the boy who pulled the trigger to own up to what he did fall on deaf ears with the kid's father (an on form Tom Sizemore) and the local judiciary. Clearly a man with a very rigid moral code, Avery cannot turn the other cheek and allow the boy not to face the consequences of his actions and so events take an inevitable downward spiral for pretty much everybody involved.

Cox is excellent in the central role and midway through the film delivers a very chilling and revealing monologue that rivals that of Robert Shaw in Jaws. It also serves to make the morality of Avery's actions a bit more ambiguous, which is in keeping with the films overall moral stance, where in final analysis, those that are most deserving of punishment don't necessarily receive it. 8/10
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:45 am

I drove to Tampa yesterday to attend the Can't Stop the Serenity event, where a group of Browncoats raise money for Equality Now by selling overpriced tickets to see Serenity on the big screen. I went with my fiancee and father and we all had a good time. I wish the theater had surround sound (I noticed speakers on the sides of the wall, but they weren't utilized), but other than that, the presentation was fine. The theater was a large room full of tables, so every once in a while someone's head would get in the way or a waitress would walk right in front of me, blocking my view. And every single chair was squeaky. In the end, it didn't matter. There's nothing like seeing a movie with a bunch of likeminded people. Sure beats watching something on DVD by yourself. And we came away with a bunch of swag, most of which was won in a raffle. Woo hoo! :)

I hope there's one in Orlando next year, but Tampa isn't too far away. I'll make the drive again. :mrgreen:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Re: What have you been watching? (Cinema)

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:24 am

Mamma Mia!

I went to see this tonight with my fiancée. I'm not a hater of musicals. I quite like a good number of them, in film and stage form. I also dig some ABBA songs. But Mamma Mia! bored me to tears. I think the main reason for that is because the movie isn't really a movie; it's an excuse to watch people sing ABBA songs. A young bride-to-be invites three men from her mother's past to her wedding, knowing that one of them has to be her father. Hilarity ensues. Except that it doesn't. And not much happens after they get there except for the singing of ABBA songs. I never saw that Beatles songbook movie (Across the Universe?), so I don't know if an actual well told story can be presented on screen while people sing songs we all know from the radio that were shoehorned into the plot. There was no real story at play here, just encounters with brief enough dialogue to segue into an ABBA song. I didn't once feel that I was watching characters interacting in a real dramatic scenario. These were walking stereotypes mugging for the camera and itching to break out into song that had the most tenuous connection to whatever was going on at the time. Correction: I felt there was one real moment in the movie, one moment where I felt I was watching a real thinking and feeling person on screen and not a backup singer--when Meryl Streep sang "Winner Takes It All". But everything aside from those 4 minutes was like watching karaoke in a poorly lit backyard doubling for the Greek Isles (Moriarty was right about the cinematography--shabby!).

So no, I didn't really enjoy myself tonight. But every other motherfucking person in that theater did, so that clearly tells me I was not the target audience for this movie. There had to have been at least 50 - 60 people in there, and I think all but three of them were women. And they laughed and cried and sang throughout the whole thing. When the lights came up my fiancée had a big wide smile on her face. She absolutely loved it. And she hates musicals. She got onto me for not liking it. She figured I would because I "love" musicals. I told her it wasn't really a musical. It was a poorly shot travelogue with a bunch of people singing ABBA songs for no reason. All of the character development in this movie pretty much happens in the last 15 minutes. Otherwise, it's just people bumping into each other, saying something that loosely connects to an ABBA song theme or title, and then singing that ABBA song. There was no real story, no real growth of character, no real stakes in anything. Hate on Moulin Rouge! all you want, but take away all the songs and you still have a viable dramatic story populated with thinking and feeling characters. There's still real stakes to be won and lost. Take away the songs from Mamma Mia! and you'll have about 20 minutes of people asking why the three men are here and who's my daddy and why won't they leave and why didn't you tell me and I need a drink.

No star rating because frankly, I just don't get it.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:22 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Mamma Mia!

I went to see this tonight with my fiancée. I'm not a hater of musicals. I quite like a good number of them, in film and stage form. I also dig some ABBA songs. But Mamma Mia! bored me to tears. I think the main reason for that is because the movie isn't really a movie; it's an excuse to watch people sing ABBA songs. A young bride-to-be invites three men from her mother's past to her wedding, knowing that one of them has to be her father. Hilarity ensues. Except that it doesn't. And not much happens after they get there except for the singing of ABBA songs. I never saw that Beatles songbook movie (Across the Universe?), so I don't know if an actual well told story can be presented on screen while people sing songs we all know from the radio that were shoehorned into the plot. There was no real story at play here, just encounters with brief enough dialogue to segue into an ABBA song. I didn't once feel that I was watching characters interacting in a real dramatic scenario. These were walking stereotypes mugging for the camera and itching to break out into song that had the most tenuous connection to whatever was going on at the time. Correction: I felt there was one real moment in the movie, one moment where I felt I was watching a real thinking and feeling person on screen and not a backup singer--when Meryl Streep sang "Winner Takes It All". But everything aside from those 4 minutes was like watching karaoke in a poorly lit backyard doubling for the Greek Isles (Moriarty was right about the cinematography--shabby!).

So no, I didn't really enjoy myself tonight. But every other motherfucking person in that theater did, so that clearly tells me I was not the target audience for this movie. There had to have been at least 50 - 60 people in there, and I think all but three of them were women. And they laughed and cried and sang throughout the whole thing. When the lights came up my fiancée had a big wide smile on her face. She absolutely loved it. And she hates musicals. She got onto me for not liking it. She figured I would because I "love" musicals. I told her it wasn't really a musical. It was a poorly shot travelogue with a bunch of people singing ABBA songs for no reason. All of the character development in this movie pretty much happens in the last 15 minutes. Otherwise, it's just people bumping into each other, saying something that loosely connects to an ABBA song theme or title, and then singing that ABBA song. There was no real story, no real growth of character, no real stakes in anything. Hate on Moulin Rouge! all you want, but take away all the songs and you still have a viable dramatic story populated with thinking and feeling characters. There's still real stakes to be won and lost. Take away the songs from Mamma Mia! and you'll have about 20 minutes of people asking why the three men are here and who's my daddy and why won't they leave and why didn't you tell me and I need a drink.

No star rating because frankly, I just don't get it.

Interesting, a friend of mine at work really wants to see this with me. Our tastes in movies really differs, however, I'm curious on this one. I want to see if Remington Steele can sing/dance.
Maui
WoWie

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:04 pm

Pierce Brosnan had the worst vocal ability in the entire film (even my fiancée said so). The dude looks and acts good, but he can't sing. The dancing in this movie is on par with what you'd see in a live Disney stage show . . . in one of their theme parks.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Crimson King on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:11 am

Well, obviously I saw The Dark Knight.

Before that I'd also gone to see the following:

The Fall
WALL-E
Wanted
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
Get Smart

I'm really excited 'cause my friend from work is getting me into an advanced screening of Pineapple Express this Thursday.
English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!?
Crimson King
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Maui on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:10 pm

Stepbrothers

It's really incredibly silly, but a ton of laughs. It's nice to see Ferrell not doing the sports shtick. Only about 6 of us in the theatre but we were all chuckling continually.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:21 pm

Yeah, I thought that movie was hilarious. I also like how often the movie would shift gears to compensate for the lack of plot. There were a few recycled elements from Anchor Man like the dog shit and the big brawl, but they were different enough where they were still funny.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Maui on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:09 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Yeah, I thought that movie was hilarious. I also like how often the movie would shift gears to compensate for the lack of plot. There were a few recycled elements from Anchor Man like the dog shit and the big brawl, but they were different enough where they were still funny.

Yeah it is hilarious. The dynamic with the real estate brother is just too freakin' funny. Seriously tons of laughs to this movie, it's not just the bunk bed scene and the drum set (that you see in the trailer). These guys really play the kids at home thing perfectly. The twin beds. I remember sharing a room with my sister when I was little and I must have said to her a million times - "hey, are you asleep"? lol

The Catalina wine mixer! lol The opera singing and the drum solo. hahahaha!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Raziel on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:20 pm

Didn't see at the cinema, but watched the Prom Night remake the other night, one of the worst movies I've ever seen!
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Chilli on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:42 pm

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

Not a bad little film. Amy Adams is ridiculously purty to look at, and sparks off Lee Pace nicely. Best bits are between Frances McDormand and Ciarán Hinds, who manage to add a little pathos with a few conversations about the First World War. Inconsequential fluff it may be, but it's short and doesn't overstay it's welcome.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:18 pm

Chicago Film Festival is underway. I saw two outstanding films: Let The Right One In and The Good The Bad The Weird.

Next up is The Wrestler.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:47 am

I saw the early 70s Italian fascism flick Salo today. If you haven't heard of it, I suppose it's supposed to be a allegorical warning about fascism. Basically the story: During the Nazi occupation of Italy, four fascist leaders who are only given titles (President, Duke, etc.) round up 18 pretty young men and women. They do this so they can trap them in a big villa and do whatever they want with them. I guess because Fascists have no imaginations, they gather the young'uns in a room and then have an old prostitute come and tell pervy tales of sex and depravity. This in turn inspires the fascist dudes to enact on all these weird fantasies and fetishes.

The movie is incredibly disgusting and grim. It's divided into four parts, The Circle of Hell, the Circle of Obsession, The Circle of Shit and the Circle of Blood. The first part is basically the rounding up of the poor victims, and the other three parts should be taken quite literally with their descriptions.

I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless you have a strong stomach and/or a fetish for golden showers, anal rimming, rape, eating shit, branding nipples off young men, or getting sexually aroused when a girl expresses extreme grief for her dead mom.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Chilli on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:33 pm

Watchng the original Halloween in a cinema is great... but seeing an actual Grindhouse flick (Pieces) with actual Grindhouse trailers (Charlie and The Hooker... The Worm Eaters) is one of the coolest experiences I've ever had.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:15 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I saw the early 70s Italian fascism flick Salo today. If you haven't heard of it, I suppose it's supposed to be a allegorical warning about fascism. Basically the story: During the Nazi occupation of Italy, four fascist leaders who are only given titles (President, Duke, etc.) round up 18 pretty young men and women. They do this so they can trap them in a big villa and do whatever they want with them. I guess because Fascists have no imaginations, they gather the young'uns in a room and then have an old prostitute come and tell pervy tales of sex and depravity. This in turn inspires the fascist dudes to enact on all these weird fantasies and fetishes.

The movie is incredibly disgusting and grim. It's divided into four parts, The Circle of Hell, the Circle of Obsession, The Circle of Shit and the Circle of Blood. The first part is basically the rounding up of the poor victims, and the other three parts should be taken quite literally with their descriptions.

I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless you have a strong stomach and/or a fetish for golden showers, anal rimming, rape, eating shit, branding nipples off young men, or getting sexually aroused when a girl expresses extreme grief for her dead mom.

Yeah, right after I watched it I'd felt like I'd passed some sort of test that I really never had to take in the first place.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:I saw the early 70s Italian fascism flick Salo today. If you haven't heard of it, I suppose it's supposed to be a allegorical warning about fascism. Basically the story: During the Nazi occupation of Italy, four fascist leaders who are only given titles (President, Duke, etc.) round up 18 pretty young men and women. They do this so they can trap them in a big villa and do whatever they want with them. I guess because Fascists have no imaginations, they gather the young'uns in a room and then have an old prostitute come and tell pervy tales of sex and depravity. This in turn inspires the fascist dudes to enact on all these weird fantasies and fetishes.

Yeah, right after I watched it I'd felt like I'd passed some sort of test that I really never had to take in the first place.

True story: My partner is a fantastic cook. And he loves making exotic food like Thai, Vietnamese, and Ethiopian. Well last week he made Ethiopian, and I took it to work for lunch today. So I opened the tupperware and all I see is this pile of redish-brown goop with meat in it and all I could think of was Salo. It looked like poop. I threw it away and went and got a burger instead.

Thanks for ruining my life Salo.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Seppuku on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:23 pm

You saw this in the cinema, Burl? That must have been a colourful audience, to say the least.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:27 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:

True story: My partner is a fantastic cook. And he loves making exotic food like Thai, Vietnamese, and Ethiopian. Well last week he made Ethiopian, and I took it to work for lunch today. So I opened the tupperware and all I see is this pile of redish-brown goop with meat in it and all I could think of was Salo. It looked like poop. I threw it away and went and got a burger instead.

Thanks for ruining my life Salo.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hey, nothing wrong with a good burger. But hey, I always want a burger after watching the hamburger rocking out to Van Halen in Better Off Dead.
I'll tell ya though, between Salo, Men Behind the Sun, and Philosophy of a knife, I don't feel that I ever have to subject myself to that kind of stuff again. Or that I'm missing anything by not watching it.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:34 pm

Seppuku wrote:You saw this in the cinema, Burl? That must have been a colourful audience, to say the least.

Nah, on DVD. Criterior just released it a few months ago.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Seppuku on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:45 pm

Man, Criterion must be getting really hard-up for ideas. Surely Fellini or someone have a student film or two lying around?

I get that Salo was probably going to be made by someone at some point, but I don't see myself ever watching 120 Days of Sodom again.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:47 pm

Seppuku wrote:Man, Criterion must be getting really hard-up for ideas. Surely Fellini or someone have a student film or two lying around?

I get that Salo was probably going to be made by someone at some point, but I don't see myself ever watching 120 Days of Sodom again.

I said the same thing about Audition, and now I own it and watch it a couple of times a year. :-\
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby O Goncho on Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:01 pm

The Good The Bad The Weird at a Korean Film Festival in Liverpool on Thursday

My mind is still a little too blown away to write up much of a review, so I'll simply say that it's... yeah.... wow. :o

****1/2 out of *****
O Goncho
GLIB

Postby waytovietnam on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:42 am

Hi school musical 3. It's great movie
waytovietnam
GLIB

Postby tfactor on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:03 pm

We just watched Fred Clause last night as we fell asleep but I can't beleive what a complete piece of crap that movie was. Someone fucked up in giving Vince Vaughn the budget and freedom to make such a stupid fucking ALF movie but I just can't believe I had actually heard semi good things about this steaming pile of horse poop. It was dumb from start to finish. Ok that's not entirely true because honestly about 20 minutes from the end of the movie I decided to just stare up at my bedroom ceiling instead of looking at the TV. Ironically this was much more entertaining to me than the movie playing in the background.

Yep I wouldn't recommend watching this at all! The story was just garbage and it was like the movie was trying to be a serious comedy but failed in every attempt. Sorry if this seems harsh but its true. I've been starved for good entertainment recently and had hoped this movie would hold a least one good laugh, instead I got 1.5 hours of moldy sprinkle covered smelly turds with a side of - who gives a fuck.

Tonight we were going to watch Hancock, Uuuuggghhhh!! I hope this one isn't as much of a let down as Fred Clause but then again my expectations are pretty low on this one and with recent consistent levels of shit coming from the movie industry - I wouldn't be surprised.

-T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby minstrel on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:01 pm

Roomie has had "Lawrence of Arabia" on the DVD player a lot recently. I sometimes pop in to watch a few minutes, but the music permeates the whole house. Great soundtrack.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby The Vicar on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:02 pm

waytovietnam wrote:Hi school musical 3. It's great movie

Oh please....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Vicar on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:03 pm

The Vicar wrote:
waytovietnam wrote:Hi school musical 3. It's great movie

Oh please....PLANT!!!
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:40 pm

Movies watched over the holiday:

Clone Wars - I thought this was a lot of fun! Now I have to go and catch up on the blasted toon!

Australia - I am sure we have a thread for this, but fuck if I could find it. Really enjoyed the movie. Great old time story with Luhrmann's kinetic direction, great affects, and outstanding performances. Kidman really shines in her warmest role ever. It could be, in fact, HER ONLY WARM ROLE. Anyway, loved just about everything about it except for Faramir's over the top cartoonish villainy. Want the soundtrack... now.

Let the Right One In - Okay horror movie, but it wasn't all that. Had some killer ideas though, and the whole when-I-hungry-I-gonna-look-my-age bit was disgrossting and scary.

Synecdoche, New York - Found this thread. It was crap.

Hellboy 2 - Ugh. LET'S CALL A MOVIE THE GOLDEN ARMIEZ AND THEN ONLY HAVE LIKE ONE SCENE WHERE OUR HEROES FIGHTZ THEM LOL MY NAME IS GUILLERMO DEL TORO AND FUCKING WITH YOUR EMOTIONS GIVES ME WOOD LOL.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Maui on Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:33 pm

Frost/Nixon

One of the best intellectual duels to be seen on screen in a very long time. Based on the Broadway play, Langella and Sheen are really superb in this. For a film 2 hours in length - the time certainly flew by. It was gripping, powerful and extremely climactic. We all know the end result, but the buildup to this scene is on the edge of your seat stuff. Supporting cast were also very good (Kevin Bacon, Oliver Platt, Sam Rockwell). Needless to say, the interviews are the focal point, however the back story of Frost's team and his determination to finance the interviews was really fascinating to see unfold.

Howard put together an exceptional film.
Maui
WoWie

Postby MacTheMovieguy on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:19 pm

Yesterday I watched Gone Baby Gone and Teeth. I don't know what possessed me to watch two completely different movies onn the same day, but I did. Gone Baby Gone was fantastic, and Teeth is campy, so....

I've got reviews of them on my site: http://www.macthemovieguy.itgo.com

I'm thinking about watching Milk today. I hear it does a body good.
MacTheMovieguy
GLIB

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion