What have you been watching? (Cinema)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: What have you been watching? (Cinema)

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:09 pm

Doubt

Just when I thought the on screen intellectual sparring couldn't get any better (see Frost/Nixon), PSH and Streep battle each other in this intense tale of religion, morality and authority. In a nutshell this is just phenomenal acting. All Golden Glob noms. for this film are definitely worthy. This movie offers no resolve and you spend the entire 2 hours trying to find answers - it's marvelous!!

Editing could have been better. There were a few oopsies that I really wasn't too thrilled to see.

The Reader

Based upon the award winning novel by Bernhard Schlink, this is a tragic romance with a similar feel as last year's "Atonement".

Kate Winslet really shines in this film, perhaps the best part of this film is her performance - just rock solid.

A tragic story to be told here - made me leave the theatre quite mopey. First half of this film really is exceptionally good, second half, the pace just slows down and it lacks the lustre that the first half delivered. David Cross, who portrays the young Michael Berg, is a very talented young actor, he portrayed his part of a love stricken teenager to a tee. Ralph Fiennes (older Michael), a forgettable performance.

This movie is held together by Winslet's performance.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:55 pm

Maui wrote:Frost/Nixon

One of the best intellectual duels to be seen on screen in a very long time. Based on the Broadway play, Langella and Sheen are really superb in this. For a film 2 hours in length - the time certainly flew by. It was gripping, powerful and extremely climactic. We all know the end result, but the buildup to this scene is on the edge of your seat stuff. Supporting cast were also very good (Kevin Bacon, Oliver Platt, Sam Rockwell). Needless to say, the interviews are the focal point, however the back story of Frost's team and his determination to finance the interviews was really fascinating to see unfold.

Howard put together an exceptional film.

Sorry Maui hate to disagree, but this was one huge dud. One of the most interesting stories in the history of this country and it is wasted on one of the mst generic directors of our time. The story is superb, the acting all well done (though Langella was way too histrionic for my tastes but I can see why hes getting praise) but goddamn was it told in one of the most uninteresting ways possible. Only the two main characters had any cinematic life whatsoever. The sets and stages were stagnant and boring. And what the hell was up with that cgi plane? Was that necessary at all? It was based on a play but did it have to be a glorified filmed play? I should have gone to see the play instead.

I plan on just watching the actual interview next time. Thanks for nothing Ron Howard.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:16 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote: It was based on a play but did it have to be a glorified filmed play? I should have gone to see the play instead.

Fair enough, if you haven't seen "Doubt" check it out. Another play to film, superbly acted and I don't think there was any CGI plane flying over the church.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote: It was based on a play but did it have to be a glorified filmed play? I should have gone to see the play instead.

Fair enough, if you haven't seen "Doubt" check it out. Another play to film, superbly acted and I don't think there was any CGI plane flying over the church.

Its on the too watch list haha.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Steven Walker on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:01 am

I don't get the complaints about Ron Howard's direction of Frost/Nixon. How else would you do it? It is not a flashy story...it should not have flashy direction. He lets the actors do their thing and tries to keep the filmmaking out of the way. This is a movie about actors...and great acting is anchored by great direction almost every time. I thought it took the play and made it just visual enough to work as a movie while still retaining what was great about the play. Plus, David Frost himself says the film is 80-90% accurate, and that is a lot to ask for from a movie these days.

After Frost/Nixon I went home and watched the 1958 adaptation of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." It shares a lot a themes with Frost/Nixon and they made an excellent double feature. It reminded me that there was a time when there were no special effects and movies could reach a wide audience with just character interaction. Paul Newman was awesome, Liz Taylor was hot, and Burl Ives was alive! Seriously though, Burl Ives was amazing. His performance as Big Daddy was my favorite thing about the movie...and there was some truly brilliant stuff in that film. I now understand why Tennessee Williams' name is uttered in hushed tones.

This compelled me to revisit a lot of older movies where characters were the stars and not Visfx. These include:

12 Angry Men (Still the best legal drama ever made)
The Sting
The Manchurian Candidate
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (James Mason IS Captain Nemo.)
The Fountainhead
Citizen Kane (Never gets old)
The Elephant Man (I know this one's not that old, but it sure feels like it.)

I don't want to say that movies were better back then because I love spectacle...but I do wish that modern spectacle was combined with this caliber of character drama more often.
Steven Walker
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Location: Austin, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:42 pm

I saw this movie called BODY HEAT on television the other night when I got home. It was a 1980s attempt at a modern noirist sex thriller.

William Hurt looks fucking great, other than hair thinning the guy looks the same today as he did in this 1981 movie. But he does sport a stupid looking mustache, which is good for the character since this guy is stupid. He gets led around by the dick by this film's femme fatale (that's French for 'lethal woman', which sounds cooler so I don't know why you guys don't just use the English translation). She's played by Kathleen Turner, who's got a pretty sexy voice which I grew up hearing as Jessica Rabbit's voice, and she's pretty good looking, definately better ass than the doof William Hurt is playing could expect to get. But she doesn't really turn me on much, she'd probably do it for my Oleg buddy, Caruso, who really fancies Jessica Lange.

There's also not a whole lot of eroticism to this movie, which kinda hurts it because it's clearly supposed to be kind of a slutty movie about a guy making really shitty decisions to get incredible blowjobs. Lawrence Kasdan, the director, just doesn't bring any style to it. He shoots it pretty plain when this type of story should be more overblown with DePalma style fetishism. The whole thing is pretty predictable, though at the time identity theftwasn't as publicized so some of the twisting might have been a bit more of a shock.

The supporting cast is pretty good, you've got Mickey Rourke dancing around singing Bob Seeger while building a time bomb, plus Ted Danson playing Jeff Goldblum, and Richard Crenna playing Sydney Pollack.

The story developed natrually and the ending was pretty good, but it's just not the best movie. A lot of the scenes play out in a boring kinda way. Not bad, but not worth seeking out.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby waytovietnam on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:39 pm

Waitress, 27 Dresses and Twilight.
waytovietnam
GLIB

Postby Bloo on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:35 am

waytovietnam wrote:Waitress, 27 Dresses and Twilight.

I love Waitress, such a sweet little movie with the great Nathan Fillion
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby waytovietnam on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:09 am

Nights in Rodanthe
waytovietnam
GLIB

Postby Kutulhu on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:32 am

I just saw Waltz With Bashir.

I did not like it.
Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:17 pm

Kutulhu wrote:I just saw Waltz With Bashir.

I did not like it.

Reasons?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:38 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:

I did not like it.

Reasons?

Maybe he thought there wasn't enough dancing?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Kutulhu on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:25 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:

I did not like it.

Reasons?

I thought it was dull, emotionless and poorly animated. The live action ending is cheap. Its a subject I am interested in, but the film made me not care about any of it. The film did not tell me anything I didn't already know about history or the effects of war.
Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 pm

There has been some criticism of the animation, in particular, the stiff movements of the characters.

Folman was asked why he chose to use the live footage at the end of his film, which indeed was a bold choice. Here's what he said:

I just thought it's essential that no one, nowhere, anywhere would walk out of this film and think, "this is a cool animated film with great drawings and music." It's more than that. Those things really happened and thousands of people died there - innocent people, kids, women, old people. The footage is only 50 seconds, but it puts everything into proportion.

I really enjoyed the film, but to each his own.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:40 pm

I don't think it needed the last action ending and the director should've had the conviction to stand by the power of the animation. It's a bit insulting to the audience, and to the initial choice of animation, to then undermine it in that way.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:57 pm

I read so much about this film before seeing it, that I was fully aware of the live action at the end. It might have had a different effect on me if I wasn't expecting it. It certainly breaks the flow of the movie and that's likely the intent. Folman obviously wanted to 'bring it home' with this choice. Was it needed? Nope. The animated sequences were enough to depict the horrors of the massacre and the war.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:09 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I don't think it needed the last action ending and the director should've had the conviction to stand by the power of the animation. It's a bit insulting to the audience, and to the initial choice of animation, to then undermine it in that way.

I'm not sure I follow that logic. It's like saying From Dusk Til Dawn betrayed crime movies by becoming a horror flick part way through. It's not like a director signs a contract saying he'll only use one filmic device to tell his story. That being said, I can see why people might think it undercut the rest of the film a little. I personally think it worked just like Ari Folman intended. Plus you've gotta remember, not everyone has as enlightened an attitude towards 'toons as us guys.

Anything that makes the job of DVD shelf-stackers just that little bit harder is fine with me. Them freeloaders have been living the easy life for far too long now.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:23 pm

Seppuku wrote:Plus you've gotta remember, not everyone has as enlightened an attitude towards 'toons as us guys.

I think that was sort of FG's point in the first place, that the filmmakers compromised their art for the sake of the audience (aka hoople-heads).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:28 pm

I didnt think it betrayed the animation at all. The animation was a means to bring out the memories of the people involved while highlighting the fact that memory in and of itself is never truly accurate. However when it comes to the end of the film he wanted to highlight the fact that this is not just peoples memories and these atrocities occurred and are fact. To me it all boils down to fact (live action) and the memories of the actual events (animation).
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:40 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:To me it all boils down to fact (live action) and the memories of the actual events (animation).

I think that's a pretty good division to make; the use of animation in a documentary format is not without it's potential foibles but the filmmakers in this instance work it to their advantage, playing with the notions of versimilitude and the subjective quality of memory. I'm certainly guilty of 'gee-whizzing' on the pretty 'toons early in the film at the expense of following the details of what was transpiring, and the video at the film's conclusion really worked for me, maybe not just as a balancing 'factual' element, but simply as a depiction of the women's (the mothers', it's strongly implied) anguish that contrasted to what had come before. It's the film's big reaction shot, as most of what has come before has been aesthetically pleasing.

Pacino86845 wrote:
Seppuku wrote:Plus you've gotta remember, not everyone has as enlightened an attitude towards 'toons as us guys.

I think that was sort of FG's point in the first place, that the filmmakers compromised their art for the sake of the audience (aka hoople-heads).

snobs.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:13 pm

Yeh the switch is necessary because without it the film would be unhealthily romantic for a war memoir. It's a like a slap in the face which says reminds you that watching a war film or a documentary or the news can't ever represent the reality effectively.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Kutulhu on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:21 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Yeh the switch is necessary because without it the film would be unhealthily romantic for a war memoir. It's a like a slap in the face which says reminds you that watching a war film or a documentary or the news can't ever represent the reality effectively.

I would say that if it is necesary, then the film failed at what it was intended to do. If the the film were stronger, conveyed any emotion at all, then the ending would not be needed.
Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:

I take the filmmaker's comments to mean that he lacked full faith in his ability to tell the story with animation. One would think he chose the art form because he believed it gave him the best means of telling the story, and wasn't just about "cool drawings and music".

The film was inventive and insightful by merging the forms of both animation and documentary. It dealt with the reality enough, and showed the full implications of the massacre, without the need for that at the end. He felt it was needed and so must've felt the film failed to have such an impact on its own.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:15 am

I think that by switching to video he was able to demonstrate an analog of the fucking gigantic gap between filmed or videoed media about war and the actual reality.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Kutulhu on Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:12 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I think that by switching to video he was able to demonstrate an analog of the fucking gigantic gap between filmed or videoed media about war and the actual reality.

So, you are saying he switched to video at the end in order to show that there is a similar difference between animated reality and video reality, just like there is a difference between video reality and 'real' reality? That seems a bit clumsy, as video is so much closer to reality then animation. A video of dead children is more powerful then an animation of the same, all thing being equal, even if there respective gaps between reality are analogous.
Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby so sorry on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:21 pm

Don't think there's a thread devoted to the movie Taken... caught it last night on a rare movie night with the wife. Not a bad flick, but not good either. Liam Neeson as an action star=hard to believe, but he did an admiral job of beating dudes up in a Steven Segal kinda way, and he killed just about every bad guy he encountered.
I'd give it a solid 6/10, and say its a good rental when you just want some mindless fun.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby tapehead on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:26 pm

Kutulhu wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:I think that by switching to video he was able to demonstrate an analog of the fucking gigantic gap between filmed or videoed media about war and the actual reality.

So, you are saying he switched to video at the end in order to show that there is a similar difference between animated reality and video reality, just like there is a difference between video reality and 'real' reality? That seems a bit clumsy, as video is so much closer to reality then animation. A video of dead children is more powerful then an animation of the same, all thing being equal, even if there respective gaps between reality are analogous.

It seems to me Tony is saying that the switch in mediums provides a stark contrast - similar to my describing it as a 'reaction shot'. As to video being much closer to 'reality' than animation, I would only venture that that is a very subjective statement.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:09 am

Let The Right One In

Alright, you can call me stupid on this one, but it took me until about halfway through Let The Right One to arrive at certainty that this film was set in the 1970s. For the most part I was attributing most of the hairstyles and fashion choices to the fact that this is a Swedish movie and just figured that’s how Swedish kids style themselves. Even the anti-Russian comments could’ve just been a joke about some old dude who hasn’t let the Cold War go.

I know this movie features lots of kids playing outside with their imaginations and no electronic devices, but I still wrote that off, half to it being Swedish and half to it being a movie and it’s hard to make dramatic things happen on screen when kids are just reacting to Facebook messages or staring intensely at their mobile phones.

But the 1970s is more than a setting in this movie, it’s kind of a style guide also. This movie is made completely in the style of those old horror movies where it’s more like a real movie that just happens to be built around a disturbing concept than a movie where they’re making things tense and horrorish all the time. Movies like Rosemary’s Baby and the original The Wicker Man where it has all the same types of scenes as any other genre of movie and the tone changes to match the scene as opposed to the tone of genre impacting the scene. Funny stuff happens, and they treat it as comedy. Regular shit happens and they don’t try to make it all suspenseful. Then some freaky shit happens and they treat that stuff as freaky. The thing is I was never really into those Rosemary’s Baby type of horror movies in a big way. I like them fine, but they never blow me away. I’m guessing the people who are blown away by those types of movies are the ones calling this one of the best films of the year.

This movie is a vampire love story between two pre-teenagers. We meet little Oskar practicing stabbing a tree with a hunting knife and telling it to scream like it’s his bitch. Eli likes this take-charge approach to pruning and she is immediately attracted to him. And I thought the way to a gal’s heart was putting on a tank top and driving around in a car with a neon light underneath blasting rap music. Silly me.

The two get to know each other and she informs him that she can’t be his girlfriend because she’s “not a girl”. You figure she means this in the Britney Spears context of I’m Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman, and that she’s just wants to go see the Grand Canyon in buttcrack jeans like Britney did in that video, but no. When you get a clear shot at her crotch you realize she’s speaking literally in that she lacks a vagina. I guess Oskar uses Meatloaf logic and figures two out of three orifices ain’t bad and sticks with her.

Their relationship builds naturally and has some pretty wacky moments along the way. Oksar realizes that his girlfriend will occasionally freakout, turn all violent and crazy and need to suck blood out of somebody’s neck, but that’s basically PMS with the blood flowing in the opposite direction so it’s nothing any other guy doesn’t have to put up with. But jeez, I know some guys who don’t have a problem fucking a gal during that time of the month but I think even they would draw the line at making out with a gal while she’s still got somebody’s blood all smeared around her mouth. Fuck, use a facecloth, some mouthwash and then call me.

This movie makes several important points about how it’s good to date vampire and makes a pretty compelling case. However I really don’t think Sweden is a good place to be a vampire. It’s biggest city and capital, Stockholm has a population less than one million and everything else is mostly little villages full of people who seem to watch each other pretty closely and gossip a lot.

I think Eli should save up for a plane ticket to New York where according to the film Blade there is a whole vampire subculture and network of nightclubs where vampires dance to pulse-pounding techno and blood pours onto the dancefloor from sprinklers, it’s hard to imagine that scene taking place with Abba playing. In New York the human world is just the sugar coated topping and vampires own the police, but in Sweden your bloodsucking ways catch up with you quickly. Especially since Sweden is such a wholesome socialist state, there just aren’t as many hobos and prostitutes to kill when you need a quick blood fix so you’re always going to be killing somebody who’ll be missed.

I always felt like I was reacting to this movie is unintended ways. I’m glad I saw it in the cinema because if I’d seen it at home I would’ve been convinced I misunderstood it. There were things that seemed like they were supposed to be scary but came across as funny, and things that I think were supposed to be endearing but I found creepy. But I felt I could gauge other audience members reacting the same way I did, so maybe I did read this whole movie right. There was one moment with cats that I’m pretty sure wasn’t supposed to be funny, but fuck, I guess I’m just sick.

I really admire this film’s commitment to the reality of its characters instead of manipulating the audience for the sake of hallow scares or false tension. And I like the realism with which the story was handled. I felt it was a good treatment of outcasts instead of the usual aren’t-freaks-beautiful-? Tim Burton approach. So overall, I enjoyed the movie and feel it’s the best Swedish vampire lovestory I’ve seen.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby waytovietnam on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Last films i saw at the cinema were 2 local films Lucky Miles & Noise.
Both excellent films that will hopefully get onto the international festival circuit.
Very different films but hopefully an indication that the Australian film industry is coming back to strength after some very dismal years.
waytovietnam
GLIB

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:04 am

WWWOOOOAAAAARGHHHH!!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY VICKY CHRISTINA BARCELONA REVIEW???? CUMPSTON ESQUE!!!! BELONGS ON THE SITE!!! RARRRRGHHHHH!!!!!! YOU BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

FINE! I'LL DO IT ELLENAGAIN! If you're easily offended turn away now!!!!! BECAUSE I SHALL OFFEND THEE!!!
VCB is about two women, one loose, the other tight, who meet a spanish sleaze who gets into their pants and also the knickers of a crazy spanish chick, then does them all pretty much at the same time, aside from the tight one who may or may not put out at the beginning. Filmed in GOLDENOVISION, Scarlett J plays Woody Allen and gobbles more sea men than Moby Dick, some other chick who deserves a better picture on the poster looks whistful a lot and Javier Bardem looks like he's going to shotgun everyone using his cock, including those watching in the cinema. Then Penelope Cruz comes in, a woman with an upper lip so high it nearly joins her eyebrow, acts all crazy and everyone sleeps together, except for the other chick, and everything stops.

A thoroughly highbrow experience that manages to encompass scintillating wordplay, comedy and reference to the more bawdy works of Shakespeare, that can be enjoyed by all.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:51 am

Two Lovers

Wonderfully acted by Joaquin Phoenix, easily his best performance to date (excluding the Letterman stint). A moody story of love, lust, family and finding contentment. The vibe of NYC is captured in a very extraordinary way. Solid film.
Maui
WoWie

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:28 am

Maui wrote:Two Lovers

Wonderfully acted by Joaquin Phoenix, easily his best performance to date (excluding the Letterman stint). A moody story of love, lust, family and finding contentment. The vibe of NYC is captured in a very extraordinary way. Solid film.

Just watched the trailer for this... Jeebus, is it really as depressing as it looks?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:37 am

so sorry wrote:

Just watched the trailer for this... Jeebus, is it really as depressing as it looks?

It's not a particularly happy film, but it's not completely depressing.

I watched it on ifc ondemand a few weeks ago.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:06 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
so sorry wrote:

I'd have to agree with SFG, not a very happy film but it can't all be "Moonstruck" can it? ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:11 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
so sorry wrote:

I'd have to agree with SFG, not a very happy film but it can't all be "Moonstruck" can it? ;)

I think Joaquin would make a great Cher...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Wonderfully acted by Joaquin Phoenix, easily his best performance to date (excluding the Letterman stint).

What!? How dare you not take Phoenix's appearance on Letterman seriously! I only have one thing to say to you, Maui:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Faustus on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:11 pm

I caught Notorious on valentines day ( i know what your thinking, 'what a romantic so-and-so'. It was meant to be Vicky Cristina Barcelona but my local Vue stopped screening it after just 5 days, not that my wife believed me) and thought it pretty poor.
It's such a sugar coated portrayal i wasn't suprised to find out it was co-produced by B.I.G's mom and P.Diddy. Even the drug dealers were saintly.
Next up Gran Torino and Watchmen. Anyone seen them yet?
Terminat hora diem; terminat author opus.
Faustus
GLIB

Postby VegasRon on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:07 pm

I used the search function but it must not be working cuz no way does "Let the Right One In" not have a freaking thread devoted to it.

I just watched it last night, and it is, IMO, the best movie of 2008, the best vampire movie I've ever seen(I know, that's not actually saying a lot, considering the volume of them) and goes immediately into my top 10 of all time.

Subtle but firm directing, brilliant performances, beautiful lighting and score and an ending that is ambiguously perfect. I really can't gush enough about this flick, so I'll just stop right here.

Add it to netflix. Now. Go. I'll wait.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Nancy on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:48 am

I watched 'Match Point' . It is a fantastic movie.
Nancy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Kutulhu on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:42 am

Nancy wrote:I watched 'Match Point' . It is a fantastic movie.

Where do you live that you just saw 'Match Point' in the theater? Mars? Atlantis? Brigadoon? Schrödinger's box?
Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:04 pm

Kutulhu wrote:
Nancy wrote:I watched 'Match Point' . It is a fantastic movie.

Where do you live that you just saw 'Match Point' in the theater? Schrödinger's box?

Hey, at least they get some movies in there...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:17 pm

We have a cinema that shows old movies here and so I saw PLAY MISTY FOR ME last night. The crowd mostly seemed like guys who had seen this during its initial release and that made me happy that a movie would draw them out on a rainy weekday night. It was the first time I'd seen it.

I knew going in that this was a stalker movie and I have to give Clint credit as a director on this one, he's really good with the pacing. He cuts right to the chase letting you know this chick is mental prettymuch right away.

In suspense movies you always have a lot of stuff that in any other genre of movie would be called 'wasting the audience's time' and unfortunately most suspense movies do this at the front end before there's any real threat to make those types of scenes tense. Clint does the smart thing and has the long stretch without incident occur three quarters of the way through the movie. You know the crazylady is coming back, but you just sit there through several scenes of Clint frolicking on the beach and at folk festivals wondering where she'll pop out.

As an actor, well, we all know Clint doesn't have the most range in the world. He's pretty good here, and even though his character hangs out with lots of hippies and minorities and doesn't seem to own a gun, he still comes across as a republican. He avoids spitting his lines out with his usual toughguy grit and goes for a more smoothtalking ladiesman approach, but still seems like Clint Eastwood. I haven't seen Bridges of Madison County, I think he plays a softy gun-less type in that one too.

The character Clint plays is pretty believable, he makes understandable mistakes, mostly because he is a skirtchaser. But it also makes sense why he doesn't get the authorities involved too much, he's a chauvinist. He's convinced he can handle this psycho because "she's just a girl". He continually underestimates the threat.

So overall, this is a pretty good movie in the stalker genre. Clint's direction is really good with the pacing and the acting from Jessica Walter as crazylady #1.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby thefraze on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:20 pm

Um... THE HANGOVER is fucking hilarious. 'nuff said.
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 am

thefraze wrote:Um... THE HANGOVER is fucking hilarious. 'nuff said.

Yeah it is - it's a crazy journey to say the least that these 4 men take, pretty damn funny too. I ♥ Zach Galifianakis.

Have you seen any of his "Between Two Ferns" videos on the Funny or Die website? Very silly, in a good way!

I'm surprised we don't have a Hangover movie thread, we should!
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:06 pm

Maui wrote:
thefraze wrote:Um... THE HANGOVER is fucking hilarious. 'nuff said.

Yeah it is - it's a crazy journey to say the least that these 4 men take, pretty damn funny too. I ♥ Zach Galifianakis.

Have you seen any of his "Between Two Ferns" videos on the Funny or Die website? Very silly, in a good way!

I'm surprised we don't have a Hangover movie thread, we should!

Zach is awesome. Have you seen his Live at the Purple Onion DVD?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:22 pm

So my summer movie viewing thus far:

Wolverine - on par with X3, which really isn't a good thing. The writing and the direction nearly sunk this movie. Only Jackman's Punky Power kept it afloat.

Star Trek - good movie, though it has some plot holes, and it seemed more concerned with spectacle than character development. It was extremely well cast, though.

Ghost of Girlfriends Past - familiar story, not a laugh riot, but it was amusing throughout and really funny in parts. Will poor old Matthew ever break out of the romantic comedy rut he's in?

Terminator Salvation - less cheesy than Wolverine, perhaps a slightly better film overall, but it's chock full of plotholes and has a serious lack of character development. And I'm still not sure what the point of the movie was. In the end, it just didn't amount to much.

Drag Me to Hell - a fun time at the movies. Raimi returns to his roots and delivers the goods. It's not high art, but it's good entertainment. The PG-13 rating didn't hurt this movie one bit.

The Hangover - not too much of a laugh out loud movie (though there are moments), but thoroughly entertaining. Ed Helms removed a tooth for this movie! God, I hope there's not a sequel. It'll never capture the same lightning in a bottle.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:41 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Ed Helms removed a tooth for this movie! God, I hope there's not a sequel. It'll never capture the same lightning in a bottle.

Ed Helms totally reminds me of a grownup Christopher Mintz-Plasse. :lol:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:43 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:

No, I think I need to though. ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby thefraze on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:56 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Oh my God, you have to see the Purple Onion DVD - and if you can track it down, his Comedy Central Presents. The guy is hilarious. Does anyone remember his show on VH1 that lasted for about a week? Check out YouTube for some funny clips of him speaking with kindergartners...

I've been a huge fan of Zach's for years now - it's good to see him getting some credit finally.
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 pm

thefraze wrote:
Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Oh my God, you have to see the Purple Onion DVD - and if you can track it down, his Comedy Central Presents. The guy is hilarious. Does anyone remember his show on VH1 that lasted for about a week? Check out YouTube for some funny clips of him speaking with kindergartners...

I've been a huge fan of Zach's for years now - it's good to see him getting some credit finally.

He was also on Wonder Showzen as a guest as well.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion