What have you been watching? (Cinema)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: What have you been watching? (Cinema)

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:44 am

thefraze wrote:
Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Zach is awesome. Have you seen his Live at the Purple Onion DVD?

No, I think I need to though. ;)

Oh my God, you have to see the Purple Onion DVD - and if you can track it down, his Comedy Central Presents. The guy is hilarious. Does anyone remember his show on VH1 that lasted for about a week? Check out YouTube for some funny clips of him speaking with kindergartners...

I've been a huge fan of Zach's for years now - it's good to see him getting some credit finally.

So, I caught this little gem last night (Purple Onion). HILARIOUS!! The interviews with his twin brother, Seth. :lol:

I'd also like to mention that he plays the piano beautifully.
Maui
WoWie

Postby so sorry on Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:54 am

Saw The Hangover last night... pretty much a stupid movie with some tear-inducing hi-larious bits throw in. Laughed my ass off in the beginning and the end, but was underwhelmed by the middle parts, where they "piece together" the night that they can't remember.

Good for a laugh, can't imagine seeing it again....

7/10
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby thefraze on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Maui wrote:
thefraze wrote:
Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Zach is awesome. Have you seen his Live at the Purple Onion DVD?

No, I think I need to though. ;)

Oh my God, you have to see the Purple Onion DVD - and if you can track it down, his Comedy Central Presents. The guy is hilarious. Does anyone remember his show on VH1 that lasted for about a week? Check out YouTube for some funny clips of him speaking with kindergartners...

I've been a huge fan of Zach's for years now - it's good to see him getting some credit finally.

So, I caught this little gem last night (Purple Onion). HILARIOUS!! The interviews with his twin brother, Seth. :lol:

I'd also like to mention that he plays the piano beautifully.

It's always Fugees and Funyuns!
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Faustus on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:17 pm

Saw 'The Hangover' last saturday and enjoyed it. I'd give it 8/10, but that might be because i've seen so many poor comedies lately. Some duller bits, but overall very funny.
The part with Tyson's tiger on the cctv made me howl.
Terminat hora diem; terminat author opus.
Faustus
GLIB

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:35 am

I saw EARTH, which is a nature documentary produced by Disney so they got Musfasa to narrate it which is good because I think the genie from Aladin would've been intrusive.

This movie follows the annual migration and quest for food of several groups of animals as well as some of their mating habits and their child rearing techinques. The film's main focus is polar bears and elephants although they spend lots of time on various birds and some whales too.

My favorite part was the section dealing with the birds of paradise found in the Philipines. They are so funny looking and do such cute things.

The cinematorgraphy is very good. There's some shots of great white sharks that I can't believe they lucked in and got.

There's a fair bit of action. A really good part where a polar bear fights fifty walruses. The chase scene with the wolf going after the caribou was very tense.

If you like nature and animals, I think you'll like this movie. I think if you have any background in the study of animals and birds then all this stuff will be known to you already but I still think you can enjoy the cinematography. I took two kids, one who is a baby and just slept the whole time and one who is four years old and she seemed to really like it as did other children in the cinema.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby MadCapsule on Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:01 pm

I saw a midnight screening of John Carpenter's The Thing last night.

I had never seen it on a big screen before.

It was glorious.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Russ on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:02 pm

Just watched this.....

Russ
GLIB

Postby kevinyuyu on Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:19 am

District 9 ... this is a really great movie.. but i still dun know y people will treat'em that way
24 and Hustle Charmed r my shows
kevinyuyu
GLIB

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:48 am

denisjhon wrote:From many couple of days in didn't watch any latest movie.At last i saw Tom hank's movie, I don't know it's name but it was awesome movie.

Oh I know the movie, but Tom Hanks isn't in that, that's Alec Baldwin!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Bloo on Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:50 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
denisjhon wrote:From many couple of days in didn't watch any latest movie.At last i saw Tom hank's movie, I don't know it's name but it was awesome movie.

I thought it was Stephan Baldwin
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:54 am

Bloo wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:

No, you're thinking of that OTHER awesome movie!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Bloo on Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:13 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
Bloo wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:

that's right I was
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:19 am

Bloo wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:
Bloo wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:

that's right I was

Fair Game. Good movie. Brilliant thriller. Such an underrated fast, small and very very slick and gritty riveting movie, with Cindy Crawford showing some suprising acting chops too.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby travis-dane on Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:02 am

and they have sex on a train!!!
Thats crazy.
But they cant finish, because Baldwin has to shoot a dude while having sex with Crawford.
Thats even more crazy.
and the bad guys have night vision goggles. High-tech.
You cant beat that.
Is Reb Brown still alive?
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:10 am

travis-dane wrote:and they have sex on a train!!!
Thats crazy.
But they cant finish, because Baldwin has to shoot a dude while having sex with Crawford.
Thats even more crazy.
You cant beat that.

Yeah, but it is Cindy Crawford with the gun who shoots the bad guy. Though you can see her full frontal totally nude though, but that is ruined by William Baldwin's insistance to flash his arse off at the camera in the same scene though. It also has a ship exploding at sea filmed for real, (much better than the shit CGI excuse in Die Hard 3) that is worth recommending the film alone, as it is such an intricately staged and filmed piece of high budget pyrotechnics.

Adapted from the novel by Paula Gosling regarding the confrontation of vigilante violence Vs the Law when it is the LAW's accomplishments create the backlash of violence itself, this is a very provactive but very fast a drama in the same vein as French Connection in it's linear adrenalin thrust. Also features Stephen Berkoff in a genuinely frightening and dangerous Russian villain treading many of Anton Chigur's existential steps even before this character made it to the screen after all this time.

Underwatched but very recommended that it is seen and this status changed.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:22 pm

Tommy Wiseau’s The Room

Holy fucking shit. It’s pretty rare that a movie experience really leaves me shaking my head like this, but Tommy Wiseau has done it with his debut film The Room. Seeing as I have internet capabilities I have seen many movies called ‘the worst movie of all time’ but usually in reference to something like The Matrix Reloaded where you know it’s just bullshit hyperbole and the person making the comments just felt level-headed and accurate (bad traits) by simply saying something was not very good or not what they expected etc. So when I heard that The Room was “the Citizen Kane of bad movies” (Entertainment Weekly) I was pretty sceptical. But fuck me, it seems Entertainment Weekly’s ability to work out endless theories on that show Lost have maybe helped them stumble onto the secret to what may actually be the most enjoyably shitty movie ever made.

The film mostly features a small cast of actors who act at a bad soap opera level. The kind of shit that wouldn’t really stand out on something like Passions. But the real enigmatic centre is writer/director/producer/star Tommy Wiseau. Wiseau is a graduate of The Christopher Lambert School of Acting. He has learned the powers of long flowing black hair, making absurd pouty faces, but most importantly speaking poor English with a totally ambiguous European accent and just seeming weird.

According to online sources, Wiseau is very secretive about his personal life, claiming to be born in the United States with European parents and living in France for various portions of his life. Which is fine, I guess that puts him in the same boat as me. But I have the good sense to recognize I have a funny accent and behave kinda weird and would not cast myself as an all-American guy named Johnny.

The Johnny character is equally enigmatic as Wiseau himself. A man who could be any age from 40 to 60 who’s sole mentioning of his own life story is showing up in San Francisco with only a $2,000.00 cheque he couldn’t cash and sleeping at the YMCA. Johnny is a bodybuilder with long black hair who somehow became fabulously wealthy, owning several units in his apartment building and paying to put an orphan through college. Johnny’s favourite hobbies are playing catch with somebody three feet away and beating up drug lords. He decorates his apartment with latest Ikea furniture and framed photos of spoons. He allows his neighbours to fuck on his sofa when he’s out and is an all-around nice guy.

Johnny wears a suit and tie when relaxing around his home and little is said about his career other than that he has been working at a bank for a couple months and was passed over for a promotion he was counting on. Johnny drives around in a nice car wearing bizarre suits that frequently involve a suit jacket and really baggy dance pants of a clashing colour. Everybody in San Francisco seems to know and like him, including dogs.

Johnny is engaged to Lisa, who looks like a chubby Anna Farris. We get the obligatory passionate lovemaking scene to show that they are very in love. They fuck in a small bedroom overstuffed with candelabras on a bed covered in mosquito netting while prodding each other with roses. I’d never before seen tittyfucking in one these scenes that’s supposed to show how in love they are, but that’s just one of this film’s many groundbreaking aspects. The fuck scene is pretty uncomfortable to watch because of Johnny’s roided-out body convulses in all sorts of gross ways and the scene goes on a really long time. If that wasn’t bad enough they actually completely reuse the same footage the second time they fuck in this movie.

I guess this movie takes place in a very traditional society because Lisa’s mother keeps telling her how Johnny is her sole source of financial stability and although she seems able-bodied, the idea of her getting a job seems out of the question. Lisa’s mother also mentions that she has cancer, but nonchalantly in passing and it is never spoken about again. Lisa makes up shit about Johnny such as pretending that he is a mean drunk who beats her. Lisa chugs scotchka and fucks Johnny’s best friend, Mark, a good-looking guy with a beard like the dude in Megaforce. Lisa continually rants to other people about how she “wants it all” and how Johnny won’t be able to give her everything she wants. But nobody ever asks her what it is she wants that she isn’t getting or if maybe she’s just trying to sing that Queen song.

Mark knows he’s fucking Lisa. So does the couple that fucks on Johnny’s couch. So does Lisa’s mother. I think the orphan also kinda knows. Johnny’s friend who is a psychologist knows Lisa is a demented sociopath. None of them tell any of this to Johnny. The movie tells the story of a good man who can count on nobody and ultimately loses faith in humanity and goes insane. I think it might be aiming to be one of those mature relationship dramas like We Don’t Live Here Anymore about how we adults can fuck our buddies’ wives and still hang out and have beers and not discuss it or whatever but the way Tommy Wiseau goes about this film is just fucking insane.

You get all sorts unbelievably unprofessional stuff. Like Johnny asking Lisa “Is that a new dress?” when she’s not wearing a dress; Mark asking Lisa “What’s with all these candles and romantic music?” when there are no candles and no music can be heard. Half the shots in this film are out of focus. There’s a wonky scene where the characters are all inexplicably wearing tuxedos and decide to play football on the pavement and the psychologist buddy trips and dies and it is never mentioned again. You get all sorts of continuity errors such as changes in what industry Johnny works in and how long he’s been dating Lisa.

And there are quite a few lines that get repeated several times throughout the movie with the exact same emphasis on the same word every time. Lisa is only ever described as “so beautiful”; Mark says “He’s my best friend” about a half dozen times throughout the feature and the line “I don’t want to talk about this” is probably the most used in the film. Characters frequently invite each other over to talk, bring up a topic and then suddenly don’t want to talk about it and ask the other person to leave. All the things they bring up that seem pretty significant but are then never mentioned again such as the mother having cancer, the orphan being a drug dealer, and so on make this film positively mindblowing. Wiseau’s performance as Johnny using his accent to mangle swear words (watching his lips try to get around the word ‘motherfucker’ is like seeing a jellyfish eat itself, and his quoting James Dean is purely add up to something purely mesmerizing.

After the film we are left with questions such as what the title meant seeing as there was no one significant room in the film. But most importantly we are left with the enigma that is Tommy Wiseau. And fuck if I won’t be shaking him out of my head for weeks.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby travis-dane on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:40 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
travis-dane wrote:and they have sex on a train!!!
Thats crazy.
Thats even more crazy.
You cant beat that.

Yeah, but it is Cindy Crawford with the gun who shoots the bad guy. Though you can see her full frontal totally nude though, but that is ruined by William Baldwin's insistance to flash his arse off at the camera in the same scene though. It also has a ship exploding at sea filmed for real, (much better than the shit CGI excuse in Die Hard 3) that is worth recommending the film alone, as it is such an intricately staged and filmed piece of high budget pyrotechnics.

Adapted from the novel by Paula Gosling regarding the confrontation of vigilante violence Vs the Law when it is the LAW's accomplishments create the backlash of violence itself, this is a very provactive but very fast a drama in the same vein as French Connection in it's linear adrenalin thrust. Also features Stephen Berkoff in a genuinely frightening and dangerous Russian villain treading many of Anton Chigur's existential steps even before this character made it to the screen after all this time.
Underwatched but very recommended that it is seen and this status changed.

Damn, Crawford shot the dude?
As for big ass explosions, it is a Joel Silver production after all. The man likes it when real stuff gets blown up.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:16 pm

i watched the syfy channel's remake of Chyldryn of the Cyrn this weekend. i just happened to see the original children of the corn a few weeks ago, before i knew about the remake. that original film is pretty awful. the budget was really low and it really showed, especially in the sfx at the end, and it featured two of the most annoying kids as they 'good' children of the corn who help linda hamilton and her husband. i remembered the original as being a lot creepier when i saw it as a kid, but i think that must have been just my memory playing tricks on me, because it wasn't scary or creepy or anything. even the most memorable moment, in the opening, when the guy gets his hand stuck in the blender, wasn't nearly what i remembered it was, because you don't actually see his hand getting sliced up in the blender, you just see some blood splattering on a kids face.

anyway, the blu-ray disc had a feature with the film's producer talking about how he was planning on remaking it the way it should've been made originally, and it's no coincidence that the blu-ray came out just a few weeks before the remake hit tv. after seeing the original, i definitely felt like it was a story ripe for a remake.

the remake, i'd say, is definitely better than the original. just the fact that those two annoying kids were removed from the story pretty much guaranteed that. at the same time, the new one wasn't without it's problems. the biggest problems were with the two leads. the wife is played by dualla from BSG, and the husband is played by some guy with a crewcut. dualla does a decent job, but she has a thankless role because her character is a total bitch who spends the whole first half of the film whining and hurling insults at her husband. even so, that's better than the 2nd half when she pretty much disappears from the film entirely... without her, the husband becomes the main focus, and he's not nearly as interesting. one other note on her: i thought she was kinda cute as dualla on BSG, but here's she's frikkin gorgeous. i don't know if it's because she's in a dress or her hair isn't all pulled back or what, but she's just way hotter in this than she was in BSG. as for the husband character, the other major misstep is that they make the husband a vietnam war vet, and while that's fine, they really overplay it.... especially in the 2nd half when he starts having vietnam war flashbacks while trying to escape from the killer kids. it also makes for some slightly unintentionally comic moments when he gets into a standoff with the kids and goes all rambo on them, and then he's crawling through the corn, knifing a pre-teen here, snapping the neck of an 8-year-old there, all while his imaginary army buddies are crawling along with him on either side.... it's actually not quite as corny and silly as that makes it sound, but it's still kinda silly. and there's also way too much running and crawling through the corn in the 2nd half that it gets to be dull and repetitive. acting-wise, dualla and the guy do okay in pretty much thankless roles. on the other hand, the kids are mostly BAD to TERRIBLE. there was one kid in particular, a little blond kid, who only has one scene with malachai, but he's SO BAD in that one scene that it really takes you out of the movie, with this little kid literally reading lines of a cue card and doing such a bad job, you wonder why they didn't find some other kid who could at least make the cue card reading sound a bit more natural. also, the kid who plays isaac just isn't very good either, though his role is a bit smaller in this than in the original. the only kids who were well-acted were malachai (who probably does the best job in the film, though still not quite as good as the original malachai) and his "wife". the one thing the original pretty much got right was the casting of isaac and malachi, and you probably couldn't hope to as well as the original did with those roles, but they definitely could have found a better isaac than the bratty little kid they found.

the thing that makes this better than the original (besides the removal of the two annoying kids and the improved sfx) is the story improvements. i'm sure i've probably read the original king short story, but it was a long time ago and i have no memory of it, but i get the feeling the remake was much closer to the original story than the first film was. for one thing, it takes place in the 70s (hence the guy being a vietnam vet) and from what i've heard about the ending of the original short story which is much darker than the original film, and ends with the couple both getting killed this film is much more faithful to that ending. since the script was co-written by king, i guess that's no surprise. still, with all the improvements, it's not really worth your time unless you're a big king fan. it's supposed to come out in an uncensored version on dvd, and the particular scene i'm sure will get uncut, featuring two teen kids getting it on while a bunch of little kids watch and get all excited is pretty obvious.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:23 am

I went to see

WHIP IT

I'll keep this short and sweet. This movie is short and sweet. Ellen Page is short and sweet.

Okay, for real, I will now write a review that is short and sweet.

This is like that movie about a young person who lacks confidence finding themselves and a sense of community through a sport activity. It manages to head towards many cliches of this type of film and then sidestep them at the last minute. Page gives a really good performance handling her character's growth in confidence over the picture with a very even hand. Kristen Wiig is in it, but as more of a regular character, not the zany type of lunatic she usually plays in SNL sketches. Drew Barrymore is the comic relief as the dumb stoner one on the team and she is very funny and does a good job directing this film.

I feel like this is a good movie for prettymuch anybody who likes sports stories about young people. So unless you have some huge problem with Ellen Page (which many people do because she was in Juno), then this is a movie that is probably worth renting, especially on a date night or with your kids when you have custody of them or whatever.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:30 am

Checked out Paranormal Activity and Law Abiding Citizen over the weekend.

PA was great.

LAC was o.k. Way more violent than I thought it would be.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:16 pm

Flipping through the movie channels on HBO yesterday afternoon and came across Nights in Rodanthe. Curiosity got the better of me - I mean who can't resist the teaming of Diane Lane and Richard Gere. :roll: This was a decent book by Nicholas Sparks which was basically butchered on screen. Mature romances done well in this decade are few and far between and I'm not sure why I expected this movie to be any different. I can't recall ever seeing a house filmed in such an exaggerated way. Gere approaches this magnificent beach house and they spend way too much time shooting the different angles of the house, it was tiresome to watch. It felt like a virtual real estate ad. I get that the house is the main setting and creates the mood but geez, do it right! The acting was very mediocre.

FAIL!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:28 pm

That's funny, Maui.

I really enjoyed the Wii game of NIGHTS IN RODANTHE, but I never saw the movie or read the book. I found using the nunchuck to steady your nerves and find the courage to love again pretty intense. I find it's a bigger hit at my parties than Guitar Hero. The part with the balance board and the Wii remote where you have throw caution to the wind and let your feelings loose to be a little too much for my co-ordination level. One of my friends can beat that part, but she used to be an exotic dancer so she's all super agile 'n stuff.

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Maui on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:49 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:That's funny, Maui.

I really enjoyed the Wii game of NIGHTS IN RODANTHE, but I never saw the movie or read the book. I found using the nunchuck to steady your nerves and find the courage to love again pretty intense. I find it's a bigger hit at my parties than Guitar Hero. The part with the balance board and the Wii remote where you have throw caution to the wind and let your feelings loose to be a little too much for my co-ordination level. One of my friends can beat that part, but she used to be an exotic dancer so she's all super agile 'n stuff.

Silly!

Although I could see it working as a Sims game.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:47 pm

I saw two limited release films in the past couple of days... one of them I think is only released in Montreal for the time being, though it'd done the festival circuit a bit.

The first one I saw with my mom, entitled Amreeka (which is how Arabs say America), about a single Palestinian lady who tries to start afresh in Illinois with her son... between the super scary wall in the West Bank and the psychotic Israeli soldiers, she feels forced to try and make a better life for herself and her son. Trailer

The film is not brilliant, and tries to cover all the ground in terms of immigration from an Arab country to the West without going into too much depth in any regard, but still I liked it and despite a couple of cliches here and there it's still an enjoyable film to watch. The movie has heart, and doesn't trivialize any of the issues it deals with. Furthermore, even though it tries to depict intolerance among Americans towards Arabs and Muslims, it also doesn't show Americans as being "pure evil," a couple of the characters are pretty open. Also among the Arabs in the film, you don't get one "type" of Arab, there is a small spectrum portrayed in the film. The story is pretty typical though, I feel as though I've seen this film before, it's very very familiar so as a result it's not too memorable, but still enjoyable nonetheless.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The second film is a documentary called Taqwacore... when I was going to see Amreeka some dude walked up to us and asked if we knew what movie we were going to see. I said "Yes we do." Then he introduced himself, he was the director of Taqwacore and said that if we went to see it the next day (yesterday) he was doing a Q & A after the film. The movie's about a Muslim punk music movement (and as demonstrated in the movie, it doesn't get more underground than that). So I went yesterday and as it turned out there were only four of us in the theatre: two random women and my brother and I. The director never showed up, so I was pretty pissed off but then again maybe it's better that he didn't see how empty the room was.

Which was too bad really, but in a sense the film predicts its own inability to attract attention from the masses. Trailer

So the way in which this movie came about is extremely weird and interesting, and a screaming example of life imitating art!

A young American Muslim convert named Michael Muhammad Knight published a novel entitled The Taqwacores in about 2003. It was about a group of Muslim youths that formed a punk band and their experiences touring (I haven't read the book, but I intend to!)... in reality, some young Muslim youths around the U.S. mainly read the book and related to the characters and next thing you know, the writer was receiving correspondence from some real-life Muslim "punks," in a couple of cases wanting to meet the fictional punk band. Fast forward a few years, and a handful of Muslim punk bands have cropped up around the country, but it's too small to be any kind of movement. In the author's own words, we're dealing with "a minority of a minority." So Michael Muhammad Knight became the center and organizer of a cross-country tour of the Muslim punk musicians, and the documentary starts off following the group, riding around on a green school bus across the country, with the biggest gathering of Muslims in the U.S. as their ultimate destination.

After their misadventures trying to introduce punk to their fellow Muslims, the film jumps to a similar, albeit smaller-scale attempt to spread punk in Pakistan.

The film is immensely compelling... musically the punks are trying to push the envelope in terms of what's generally acceptable in Islam... rather they stomp and spit on the envelope, screaming Muhammad was a punk rocker, Allahu-akbar!!

The energy is great to watch, and the musicians really come from different places, so you get a nice spread of characters to watch. Michael Knight is sort of the "star" of the movie, and he is a very interesting dude. He had been standing behind the director when I'd spoken to him, but at the time I didn't know who that "white dude" was. In any case I am going to be writing to these guys, telling them to go fuck themselves for not showing up when they said they would. Fuckers!

The punk music in the film is not revolutionary, mostly the tunes are variations on staple punk sounds and lyrics. On the other hand it's difficult to tell because the documentary doesn't have that much punk music in it after all.

The second half of the film, which takes place in Pakistan, while perhaps more "interesting" from a social point of view, feels long compared to the too-rushed time in the U.S. Maybe when they'd been filming the first half they hadn't thought of turning the footage into a full-fledged documentary. The second half is interesting and feels more complete, but the component in the U.S. actually had a lot more going on and deserved more coverage IMO.

I have no idea how anyone who doesn't live here can see the film, I'm not sure it'll even get a release in other places... I think it's playing in Toronto as well... it might hit New York at some point, maybe LA.

In any case, good luck! :D
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:54 pm

I watched THE BOONDOCK SAINTS 2 last sunday with me Grandmother...

She liked it, I thought it was borderline crap. I wasnt a "FAN" of the first one, but thought it was a mildy amusing film..and I could see why it had a following. This one though..sucked the hairy nuts of a gopher. 10 years did not help Troy Duffy with his writing and his script is filled with just god awful dialog spewed forth from the most annoying boston accents ever. And Julie Benz, just, yeah.. less said the better.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Seppuku on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:57 am

I caught what people have dubbed Michael Caine's spiritual sequel to Get Carter, Harry Brown, the other day. It's got a reasonably wide release here in England, so if anyone intends to see it I'd go in expecting something more in the vein of a modern Death Wish than Carter or Gran Torino. Like Michael Winner's DW movies, I imagine it's the product of a crotchety screenwriter listening to the kids talk in a funny dialect ("What you chattin' about, blud?") and figuring that this hails the onset of the Apocalypse. It's a total propaganda piece that starts off in a pretty stark and serious tone so as to convince the audience that the last act's total fucking chaos is more believable than it really is. Take the scene where Caine visits the drug dealer as a good example of this movie's subtlety: they make the dealer more scagged out and wasted than Keith Richard in his heyday- there isn't one square inch of skin on his body that isn't scarred by track-marks. Oh yeah, and naturally he has to do about six Class A's onscreen in about three minutes. Not to mention having a room with more weed growing in it than the one in Pineapple Express, and a junkie teenage girl passed out on the couch with a needle hanging out of her arm. And don't tell anyone, but I reckon he might be slightly homosexual, too!

I guess this is a kind of retort to movies like Kidulthood and The Football Factory, telling the same story from the perspective of the oldies who these kids effect. Trouble is, they both come to the same insanely right-wing conclusion: "In their eyes there's something lacking/What they need's a damn good whacking!" (I think George Harrison might have been a little ironic there). That's cool if you've got a movie that's pure cinema like Get Carter, Mr Majestyk or Assualt on Precinct 13, but if you're going for that whole social critique w/ realistic (read: boring) dialogue thing, you kinda owe it to yourself and your audience to think through your conclusions a little harder. It'd be kinda like Dostoevsky ending Crime & Punishment by getting Raskolnikov to go on a killing spree with a gatling gun.

Caine was good though. So good that he highlighted the fact that a lot of British actors these days just don't know how to read dialogue properly. So many of them come across like they've just stepped out of RADA, with all the personality of a dead fish. He looks lived-in and visibly lost in the country that England has become. He also gets to do a few good grieving scenes which remind you that he's got more to offer than just butler characters.

Meh, I haven't slept in 3 days 'cause of this awful storm hitting my boat at the moment (maybe it really is the end of days?!), so I'm gonna wrap this up. If you go to this as a chavsploitation picture with a couple of good cathartic killings, you probably won't be disappointed. I suppose this might be just another victim of the '00s climate, whereby a movie (especially a British movie) can't just be a movie anymore, it's got to ramrod some ropey politics in there as well. Trouble is, they're just about as subtle and well thought out as the talkback to a Michael Moore movie.

6/10.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:04 pm

Well I'm from Grays, Essex and I say, KILL 'EM AAAAALLLLL!!!!!!!!!!! What you say here actually sounds like an even better movie for it, Sepp! Slap those Chavs. I'm up for i, the only thing that would make me nervous of it, is that I'd come out of there trembling with rage to do the same to them that Harry Brown wants!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Smash Cut

It’s not often (ever) that I get to go to a big gala premiere of a film with the filmmakers in attendance. As it turns out there is good reason for that. I guess Canada has passed Tortuga as the pirate capital of the world and they don’t like to have films come out here before other places because pirates will get them. Director Lee Demarbre told us this with a sad tone saying that he had to really wrestle with the producers to allow them to have this one screening of his own film at the cinema of which he is the proprietor. He says his distributors signed some agreement with a company in France and Germany to have the film make it’s initial theatrical lap there.

However since this film is completely shot in Ottawa Canada, I think it will serve to really change people’s view of Canada as just another snowy safe haven for pirates. This film will show them just how much Canada’s capital doesn’t really investigate murders, has priests who get blowjobs in white stretch limousines, crazy soldiers who arrange G.I. Joes on a strip club stage to burn them, and has a bustling film industry producing tax write-offs that double as body disposal cover-ups. Fuck, we are pirates.

Director Lee DeMarbre is the proprietor of the cinema where I see many cult films and has made a couple of films before such as Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter and Harry Knuckles and The Tomb of the Aztec Mummy. Smash Cut represents his highest budget film yet being made on a budget less than half a million dollars. Yes, that’s right. If you know anything about what movies cost, you know that you can’t even get a mason jar of Megan Fox’s hair grease to make a cameo for half a million dollars. So what does it get you? Let me tell you what France and Germany already know.

The film stars David Hess from the original Last House On The Left as a Bob Dylan-looking Uwe Boll-type schlocky filmmaker named Able Whitman. The film starts with a pretty unrealistic scene where for some reason people have showed up to a cinema dressed enthusiastically in costume for Whitman’s new movie which they boo and say sucks. The audience walks out leaving only Whitman to sit there alone having suffered the sad reality that his film had the biggest cult devotion before anybody actually saw it. Whitman goes further than Uwe Boll, not just challenging his critics to a boxing match, but actually killing them and then using their corpses and body parts in his films as props.

The film follows the standard formula of somebody who is killing lots of people and trying to keep it under wraps like Heathers or American Psycho 2: I Shat On Your Kunis. You get your usual gags such as puns about death and body parts, but the film does have some inspired moments such as how Whitman has goofy yoga moments stretching and striking zen poses in the park to decompress after a hard day of killing. I’ve never trusted those yoga types anyway.

The film probably reaches its comedic high point in a scene where Whitman kills a guy with a harpoon on a city bus and tries to cover it up by making it look like a suicide. David Hess as Whitman has to carry most of this film, frequently talking to himself or to a dead person and for the most part his manic intensity shows sincere effort. He allows himself to be put through near Crank 2 levels of humiliation when he has to dress up as characters from other (way better) movies to commit murders. Dressing as Quint from Jaws to kill a guy with a harpoon was pretty good. I liked that he had a scene slate rigged with teeth to chop people’s heads off, but I don’t think he should’ve used it when he was dressed as The Man With No Name. He should’ve found a way to stare that victim to death.

The film co-stars Sasha Grey who was in the highbrow, artsy fartsy, mesmerizing dull The Girlfriend Experience and according to IMDB she was also in a Star Trek movie, but it must’ve been one of the ones with that Picard guy because I don’t think I saw it. I’m surprised she took this gig. Grey shows the best acting potential of this cast but even she struggles acting opposite a local guy named Jesse Buck playing some sort of Ace Ventura type. I hope whatever dinner theatre they got this guy from gave them a good toy with their happy meal.

Other cast members include the guy who tears the tickets at the cinema where this film was being shown. But fuck, that guy was a natural. I’m not shitting you.

The score is mostly stuff ripped off of other (way better) movies such as Once Upon A Time In The West, Magnum Force, Shaft, and The Psychic. And it kinda functions as a reverse Kill Bill in that it uses the themes from movies with better production values. In a way it kinda works because this is a movie about a crappy filmmaker who has delusions that he is an artist on the level of those other (much better) movies too.

I’m not really going to call this movie good or bad. I had a good time being there in the cinema and having a laugh at something that half the people in the cinema had worked on. On a schlocky DTV level it is thoroughly enjoyable, but I’m pretty sure that once France and Germany see it they won’t really feel so sexy and elite for having exclusive rights to this thing.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Maui on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:05 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:However since this film is completely shot in Ottawa Canada, I think it will serve to really change people’s view of Canada as just another snowy safe haven for pirates. This film will show them just how much Canada’s capital doesn’t really investigate murders, has priests who get blowjobs in white stretch limousines, crazy soldiers who arrange G.I. Joes on a strip club stage to burn them, and has a bustling film industry producing tax write-offs that double as body disposal cover-ups. Fuck, we are pirates.

:lol:

Canada's got talent, seriously we do!!! You seen My Winnipeg yet? I caught it on the Sundance channel the other night. /offtopic
Maui
WoWie

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:51 am

Maui wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:However since this film is completely shot in Ottawa Canada, I think it will serve to really change people’s view of Canada as just another snowy safe haven for pirates. This film will show them just how much Canada’s capital doesn’t really investigate murders, has priests who get blowjobs in white stretch limousines, crazy soldiers who arrange G.I. Joes on a strip club stage to burn them, and has a bustling film industry producing tax write-offs that double as body disposal cover-ups. Fuck, we are pirates.

Canada's got talent, seriously we do!!! You seen My Winnipeg yet? I caught it on the Sundance channel the other night. /offtopic

Yes, we do have talent - but this fucker is not part of that phrase...
Jesus Christ:Vampire Hunter is so horrible - that it's just plain horrible. Not so bad it's good - just so bad it fucking hurts. Almost as bad as Hairy Knuckles...
If these are the only films that get people talking about Canadian cinema then it's no wonder we have to keep reminding people that Canada has talent...

And I've seen most of My Winnipeg - and as a former Winnipegger - I quite enjoyed it.
I need to catch it again sometime - but this time I need to see the first 20-25 minutes or so.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:11 am

Like I said, Smash Cut barely passes on a DTV schlock level of entertainment. But it does pass. I agree with Schultz that this guy's previous movies were just plain lousy. There's cheapo b-movies and then there's stuff where it really does look like something a guy filmed in his backyard with his friends as the actors and DeMarbre's other films are definately in that category because that is exactly what they are. He's at least working with a couple of actual "stars" (term used as loosely as possible) this time and I feel that if DeMarbre got a DTV budget and Wesley Snipes or whatever DTV guy that he could produce a goodbad DTV movie.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby krissie on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:00 am

:-P Ive been watching new release movies lately..And so far i like the movie of Gerard Butler Law Abiding Citizen.It is really great movie.I like the story and Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler did a great job. :-P
krissie
GLIB

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:32 am

TOKYO SONATA

I saw this film last night because it got really good reviews. It is very much a film along the lines of American Beauty only it leaves out the sex stuff and so it is more credible in that it does not expect us to believe shit like Kevin Spacey being hetero or anybody actually wanting to fuck that alien Mena Suvari. But this is a dramedy about all the same things about how middleclass suburban people build their families on lies for the sake of appearances blah blah blah. I'm not typically that interested in this theme, so maybe the movie made less of an impact on me. I still thought it was okay. The first half had some really funny stuff about this whole sub-culture of men in Japan who have lost good office jobs but still leave their homes every day dressed in business suits pretending to go to work and either changing into other clothes so they can clean toilets for a living or just hanging out with other guys like themselves in the free food queue.

The film revolves around a family of four who all lie to each other and live secret lives. Obviously the point of the movie is to contrast the quiet socially acceptable insanity of pointlessly living a lie (which we see in the first half) to the full-out insanity of their batshit nervous breakdowns in the second half of the movie.

There's some stuff that I think probably plays differently in Japan than it does here. Such as scenes of physical child abuse that are treated like a normal punishment in this film but got big gasps from the crowd I saw it with. I also think the whole pressure on men to succeed and maintain face and authority in their families is probably stronger in Japan so maybe the actions the lead character takes to cover up his unemployment don't seem as silly to a Japanese audience.

Overall it is a well made film, but like I said, I just don't have that much of an appetite for these movies about how suburban middle-class family life is a big lump of crazy bullshit. If you find that theme fascinating, you will probably love this film.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby MadCapsule on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:46 pm

Last Friday I caught a midnight showing of The House of the Devil at The Music Box. It was a fun little indie horror flick. The premise is your typical girl-is-alone (or so she thinks)-in-large-house-and-bad-shit-starts-to-happen. The acting is mostly so-so, but the movie is nicely executed for the most part. It relies mostly on suspense, which I find refreshing when compared to the gore-driven horror movies that the market is dominated by. House also has one of the most visually terrifying witches I've ever seen on-screen.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:27 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I saw this film last night because it got really good reviews. It is very much a film along the lines of American Beauty only it leaves out the sex stuff and so it is more credible in that it does not expect us to believe shit like Kevin Spacey being hetero or anybody actually wanting to fuck that alien Mena Suvari.

You crack me up Spandau
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:
TOKYO SONATA

I saw this film last night because it got really good reviews. It is very much a film along the lines of American Beauty only it leaves out the sex stuff and so it is more credible in that it does not expect us to believe shit like Kevin Spacey being hetero or anybody actually wanting to fuck that alien Mena Suvari. But this is a dramedy about all the same things about how middleclass suburban people build their families on lies for the sake of appearances blah blah blah. I'm not typically that interested in this theme, so maybe the movie made less of an impact on me. I still thought it was okay. The first half had some really funny stuff about this whole sub-culture of men in Japan who have lost good office jobs but still leave their homes every day dressed in business suits pretending to go to work and either changing into other clothes so they can clean toilets for a living or just hanging out with other guys like themselves in the free food queue.

The film revolves around a family of four who all lie to each other and live secret lives. Obviously the point of the movie is to contrast the quiet socially acceptable insanity of pointlessly living a lie (which we see in the first half) to the full-out insanity of their batshit nervous breakdowns in the second half of the movie.

There's some stuff that I think probably plays differently in Japan than it does here. Such as scenes of physical child abuse that are treated like a normal punishment in this film but got big gasps from the crowd I saw it with. I also think the whole pressure on men to succeed and maintain face and authority in their families is probably stronger in Japan so maybe the actions the lead character takes to cover up his unemployment don't seem as silly to a Japanese audience.

Overall it is a well made film, but like I said, I just don't have that much of an appetite for these movies about how suburban middle-class family life is a big lump of crazy bullshit. If you find that theme fascinating, you will probably love this film.

You should really check out of some of his other films as they are not anything like this one. He's the one that did the Japanese Pulse, which is one of the best j-horror films ever. Though my personal favorite is Cure. He also has some completely batshit films as well like Doppelganger.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:55 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:
TOKYO SONATA

You should really check out of some of his other films as they are not anything like this one. He's the one that did the Japanese Pulse, which is one of the best j-horror films ever. Though my personal favorite is Cure. He also has some completely batshit films as well like Doppelganger.

Yeah, he's ferkin well famous for his horror. I've just been reading about him, and as this latest film attests he certainly has a social/moral agenda. I've only seen Seance, but it certainly stuck with me in a creepy dead wet girl way and yet is waaay beyond the usual borenoying nature of much of the genre, it was like watching a Japanese Bruno Dumont at work. Pulse is actually top of my watch queue at the moment... well it would be if it hadn't fallen off said queue to somewhere between my bed headboard and the wall...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby The Vicar on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:57 pm

MadCapsule wrote:Last Friday I caught a midnight showing of The House of the Devil at The Music Box. It was a fun little indie horror flick. The premise is your typical girl-is-alone (or so she thinks)-in-large-house-and-bad-shit-starts-to-happen. The acting is mostly so-so, but the movie is nicely executed for the most part. It relies mostly on suspense, which I find refreshing when compared to the gore-driven horror movies that the market is dominated by. House also has one of the most visually terrifying witches I've ever seen on-screen.

Gods I miss The Music Box.....very cool place. Big sigh...
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:05 pm

Thanks for the info on Kiyoshi Kurosawa, guys. I did not know he was a j-horror guy because I don't really watch many of those films. I never saw that Pulse movie or the Americanization with Veronica Mars, although I remember them coming out.

This Tokyo Sonata movie would probably be very interesting to you guys who are big into his horror stuff, I always love seeing guys bust out of their genre. He uses some strange narrative devices in the second half that were kinda jarring because the first half is all straight forward. I don't know if he's known for fracturing timelines only for one scene a la Jackie Brown, or for busting out a single isolated dream sequence shot exactly like all the real stuff in the movie, but when he did those things in Tokyo Sonata it kinda threw me off. Not sure if I liked him doing that or if it really served the story.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby MadCapsule on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:17 pm

The Vicar wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:Last Friday I caught a midnight showing of The House of the Devil at The Music Box. It was a fun little indie horror flick. The premise is your typical girl-is-alone (or so she thinks)-in-large-house-and-bad-shit-starts-to-happen. The acting is mostly so-so, but the movie is nicely executed for the most part. It relies mostly on suspense, which I find refreshing when compared to the gore-driven horror movies that the market is dominated by. House also has one of the most visually terrifying witches I've ever seen on-screen.

Gods I miss The Music Box.....very cool place. Big sigh...

And The Music Box misses you, Vicar. Yeah, I love that place, warts and all. The warts being the strange placement of mushroom-shaped heating/air conditioning vents underneath the seats in the main auditorium that prevent me from finding a comfortable place to put my feet and the drunks that come stumbling into midnight movies 15 minutes late.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:37 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Thanks for the info on Kiyoshi Kurosawa, guys. I did not know he was a j-horror guy because I don't really watch many of those films. I never saw that Pulse movie or the Americanization with Veronica Mars, although I remember them coming out.

This Tokyo Sonata movie would probably be very interesting to you guys who are big into his horror stuff, I always love seeing guys bust out of their genre. He uses some strange narrative devices in the second half that were kinda jarring because the first half is all straight forward. I don't know if he's known for fracturing timelines only for one scene a la Jackie Brown, or for busting out a single isolated dream sequence shot exactly like all the real stuff in the movie, but when he did those things in Tokyo Sonata it kinda threw me off. Not sure if I liked him doing that or if it really served the story.

When you think of J-Horror and you think creepy girl with long hair etc... This is not what he does when directing a "horror" film. Cure is a procedural drama really but really it can only be described as horror. I think Pulse is one of his most straightforward films and has more of your typical j-horror feel. Most others seem to have a couple of really weird aspects to them. Charisma and Doppelganger in particular are really weird films. Ive seen Cure, Seance, Charisma, Pulse, Doppelganger, Bright Future, Tokyo Sonata and Loft. The only one out of those the only one id say is not worth seeing is Loft which felt too standard to me. Kurosawa says not to watch anything before Cure because he doesnt like anything he did before then at all.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:42 pm

Oh man I only saw Cure the one time in some art house cinema in the '90s, it was AMAZING! The first j-horror movie I'd seen, to boot. Very disturbing, I had totally forgotten about it until you mentioned it, stereos.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Maui on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:50 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:

Yeah, it is an incredible film. You recommended this to me over a year ago and the film truly does not disappoint.

Check it out Spandau. It's very GOOD!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:21 am

I saw THE YOUNG VICTORIA because I have a soft spot for these period piece costume dramas and Emily Blunt. This film does not have as great a cast, as daring a director, or as fascinating a queen as the Elizabeth movies, but still is pretty good for this type of thing. They do a great job depticting the Royal Family as a big eccentric dysfunctional family without it turning into some Wes Anderson movie. Jim Broadbent makes a hysterical cameo as King William. This film also handles the tender moments of romance very well and there is a lot of good humour.

The film doesn't make the politics and the scheming as compelling as the more personal stuff and it does frequently feel like they rushed some parts to fit in a lot of history. There are a fair amount of montages accompanied by overwrought music.

The director is the Quebec guy who did C.R.A.Z.Y., so I think it is cool that he found a way to tell another story about a wacky family with conflicting interest but in a totally different context (The Young Victoria is not set in working class Quebec). He does a couple avant-garde tricks such as some jump cuts, jumping around in chronology a bit, and he even busts out the Spike Lee float walk. I wished he'd done a bit more risky stuff. That guy who did the Elizabeth movies used all sorts of inventive camera tricks and placement and even though they didn't all work it made the films more interesting to watch.

So overall, this is a pretty charming movie that doesn't make a huge impression but if you like this sort of costume drama thing you won't regret having watched it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby scaryjim on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Don't visit the zone much but got pretty pumped watching:-

LAKE MUNGO

I've been pretty dissapointed with the fake documentary genre. They all seem to follow the same formula;- slight back story, minor narrative pushed forward by characters (not plot), heightened emotions, a revelation, an ending that slightly breaks the fourth wall. Blair Witch, Paranormal activity, that other one with the Jersey Devil...Rec.., I liked them enough when I watched them the first time but they kind of feel like a cheap thrill and I never wanted to revisit them. I didn't expect much from Lake Mungo, a small Australian film.

The 'Documentary' tells the story of the death of Alice Palmer through her family and friends, and how they may or may not be being haunted by her. Evidence of her ghost is revealed through video and photos. What is overwhelmingly moving is the somber tone of the family, and the way it's hinted that her spirit may be being created by them because they don't want to let go. Really, with this much work going behind the characters I could only see the film wussing out and giving me one of those annoying, open to interpretation endings. Thankfully, in the second act after all the scene setting and mood, you almost get a full on Ghost story/ mystery in the sense of M.R James as more is discovered about Alice. It's not scary although there are some definite spooky moments, it's not really a thriller, it's almost an old fashioned ghost story reknewed . The actors really downplay their parts, if I'd caught this unknowingly I'd have thought it was just a documentary, they seem really genuine and you can't help feeling for the characters grief, it really drives the film. Also the sound design is great, really subtle and moody, and once again theres another Australian film maker capturing the landscape in all it's glory.

Wondering how Paranormal Activity ended up getting hyped so much, this is so clearly far superior but there seems to be nowt much on the interweb about it.
Butterfingers
scaryjim
GLIB

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:26 pm

LOS ABRAZOS ROTOS
aka BROKEN EMBRACES

This is Pedro Almodovar's latest film and if you know his work you know what to expect: melodrama, absurd plot twists driven by unlikely coincidences, loving portrayals of women, love for the performing arts.

I always love his movies, they fill me with a real sense of warmth. He's one of the best out there in terms of building characters and their relationships and that is what his movies are almost always about. This time is no different. He presents us with a group of people and then starts to connect them and tighten the dynamic more and more.

The actors all do a great job playing different ages in a film that takes place over 15 years. This film deals with a filmmaker and the world of filmmaking. It has a lot of homagerie to Almodovar's 90s films with more absurd humour than we've seen from Almodovar in years, but also the more touching human drama of his more recent films.

I really liked this one. Great time at the movies.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:14 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:LOS ABRAZOS ROTOS
aka BROKEN EMBRACES

This is Pedro Almodovar's latest film and if you know his work you know what to expect: melodrama, absurd plot twists driven by unlikely coincidences, loving portrayals of women, love for the performing arts.

I always love his movies, they fill me with a real sense of warmth. He's one of the best out there in terms of building characters and their relationships and that is what his movies are almost always about. This time is no different. He presents us with a group of people and then starts to connect them and tighten the dynamic more and more.

The actors all do a great job playing different ages in a film that takes place over 15 years. This film deals with a filmmaker and the world of filmmaking. It has a lot of homagerie to Almodovar's 90s films with more absurd humour than we've seen from Almodovar in years, but also the more touching human drama of his more recent films.

I really liked this one. Great time at the movies.

I normally like Almodovar's films but this one was sort of a mess. It started off strong enough. Nice mystery and atmosphere but soon after it fell apart. The major problem was thatthe characters reactions just felt "off." The film within the film felt really crappy (even the good takes) but somehow everyone was swooning over it. I am unsure if we were supposed to think the characters were delusional or that it was actually good. Individual shots/scenes were really good but it never came together for me.

You are right about it being funnier than normal but the "comedy" wasnt funny at all.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:27 am

I was kinda expecting that type of reaction. I know Almodovar lost a lot of fans around All About My Mother and he seems to have two audiences. I thought Broken Embraces might appeal to both, but I think it probably will end up just not satisfying either. But I liked it, and I really liked the film within the film. I would watch that movie.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:25 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I was kinda expecting that type of reaction. I know Almodovar lost a lot of fans around All About My Mother and he seems to have two audiences. I thought Broken Embraces might appeal to both, but I think it probably will end up just not satisfying either. But I liked it, and I really liked the film within the film. I would watch that movie.

Can you say why?

I mean besides Penelope Cruz ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:56 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:I really liked the film within the film. I would watch that movie.

Can you say why?
I mean besides Penelope Cruz ;)

It just seemed so zany. The matter-of-fact way that older lady jabbered on about meeting the drug dealer and the scene where the crazy lady showed up out of nowhere just to shove Cruz down the stairs. It all seemed pretty funny to me. Like a Bunel film or something.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion