What have you been watching? (Cinema)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: What have you been watching? (Cinema)

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:57 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Keep up the good work, Dwayne. You need to stick to dong pictures like this.

so wait... it's a Pr0n film?
i guess the title doesn't say much for the rock's, ahem, endurance, then...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:00 am

:lol:
Well, I wouldn't last too long around Carla Gugino either.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:58 pm

I saw Tangled the other day... jesus I don't know what drove me to see THAT movie, and it's kind of embarrassing to admit now because it didn't turn out so well.

Over all derivative of older/recent Disney movies, in particular Beauty and the Beast (or perhaps this seems an obvious comparison due to my limited exposure to Disney films).

And it was a musical, with pretty weak numbers that I felt ripped off older movies. But it turns out it had the same composer as the movies I thought it ripped off (musically). Except for the one number at a tavern full of ruffians... then again, that too was reminiscent of Beauty and the Beast's Gaston song.

Ok, it was all right for the most part... much needed levity and a smidgeon of wit (read: appealing to the dudes) was brought to the table by the roguish Flynn and a HORSE.

However the forced (really, really forced) happy ending was the biggest slap in the face to the audience. Sorry, I grew up watching a few of the Disney princess classics, and none of them came close to have as r-tarded an ending as Tangled does. This is what I'm talking about, and of course it is a MAJOR SPOILER:

well in the film Rapunzel's hair has healing powers. The trick is that she has to sing to it (but it seems anyone can sing to it, this much isn't clear) and a magical force is activated with healing/fountain of youth powers clearly emanating from her HAIR. The rub is that she could never get a hair cut in her life, as a lock of brown and powerless hair on her head would attest to.

Cutting to the chase, and skipping over the details, Rapunzel's love interest lies dying from a knife wound... and her hair has been cut off, thereby losing its power. So when everything seems completely grim, and you wonder how they're gonna get themselves out of THIS mess-

a lone tear drops down from Rapunzel's eye and onto her (now) dead lover's cheek. Moments later his wound heals, he awakens, AND THEY LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER.

WTF?! ARE YOU SERIOUS!?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:05 pm

Sounds AWESOME...ly dumb.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:50 am

I find your lack of faith in the power of love disturbing.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:03 am

LOL, exactly!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Maui on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:43 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
Ok, it was all right for the most part... much needed levity and a smidgeon of wit (read: appealing to the dudes) was brought to the table by the roguish Flynn and a HORSE.

Flynn had more chemistry with Maximus than he did with Rapunzel.

Pacino86845 wrote:a lone tear drops down from Rapunzel's eye and onto her (now) dead lover's cheek. Moments later his wound heals, he awakens, AND THEY LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER.

DNA!!!!!! :twisted:

I enjoyed this film. Menken's hokie tunes got a bit tiresome however Mandy Moore did an excellent job singing all of these ditties.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Major Briggs on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:58 pm

Just watched David Lynch's "Wild at Heart." I've been following a series of articles on the movies of David Lynch, and I've been watching them in chronological order along with the blogger. It's pretty informative if you want to check it out. Here's the link:

http://entertainmentguidefilmtv.blogspot.com/2010/11/35-years-of-david-lynch.html

The article on Dune has been my favorite so far. I love that movie! Surf the sand, bros 8-)

But Wild at Heart is an intense adrenaline rush compared to most Lynch films, which is strange but kinda cool in a trippy way. But it's hard to beat Laura Palmer from Twin Peaks showing up as the good witch at the end. Weird, bizarre, Lynch.
Major Briggs
GLIB

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:21 am

Major Briggs wrote:Just watched David Lynch's "Wild at Heart." I've been following a series of articles on the movies of David Lynch, and I've been watching them in chronological order along with the blogger. It's pretty informative if you want to check it out. Here's the link:

http://entertainmentguidefilmtv.blogspot.com/2010/11/35-years-of-david-lynch.html

The article on Dune has been my favorite so far. I love that movie! Surf the sand, bros 8-)

But Wild at Heart is an intense adrenaline rush compared to most Lynch films, which is strange but kinda cool in a trippy way. But it's hard to beat Laura Palmer from Twin Peaks showing up as the good witch at the end. Weird, bizarre, Lynch.

Wow, I'd love to see Wild at Heart at the cinema. I've seen Lost Highway, Straight Story and Blue Velvet that way and it kinda blows my mind remembering how freaking cool all those experiences were.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Bayouwolf on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:30 am

Maui wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:

Flynn had more chemistry with Maximus than he did with Rapunzel.

Totally agree. Couldn't quite wrap my head around what it was he saw in her. Aladdin got this bit more right, which is what I felt was what the story was going towards.
And the blatant use of Whedonisms (what I'm going call to from here on out when someone has single word answers to complex questions/situations) was pretty great.

Maui wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:a lone tear drops down from Rapunzel's eye and onto her (now) dead lover's cheek. Moments later his wound heals, he awakens, AND THEY LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER.

DNA!!!!!! :twisted:

I enjoyed this film. Menken's hokie tunes got a bit tiresome however Mandy Moore did an excellent job singing all of these ditties.

I agree, Menken hasn't been nearly as good since Ashman died. I think Menken brought the music to the screen, but Ashman made it as much a part of the story as any character was.

Not a bad film by any means, it just needed something else to make it feel whole to me.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:06 pm

I also didn't think it was a bad film... UNTIL THAT DAMNED ENDING!!!

Also I somehow was not aware that this was a musical. Although it being a princess story, I should've known better... so I was pretty surprised and a bit uncomfortable (musicals do that to me) when there was singing every two minutes.

But yeah, it wasn't bad per se. :)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:34 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Also I somehow was not aware that this was a musical. Although it being a princess story, I should've known better... so I was pretty surprised and a bit uncomfortable (musicals do that to me) when there was singing every two minutes.

Well, they did their best to hide it in the marketing. Probably for the same reasons they changed the name from "Rapunzel" to "Tangled"... because they didn't want to scare away young boys.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:35 am

Last night my local grindhouse had a showing of...

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

If you're somebody who's into films in the awesomely perfect subgenre, it doesn't get any better than this. It's by far my favorite Western and Sergio Leone's masterpiece. Despite being a showing of an old movie late on a snowy Monday night, the place was pretty full. People, including myself, just have a love for this film. The score just stirs my emotions like none other. And seeing this film theatrically was kinda cute to hear the whole cinema of men release a smitten sigh when a shot of a sweaty Claudia filled the giant movie screen.

The interesting thing about the showing was that the print of the film was a really well-preserved 35mm print, but it was a cut of the shorter American cut of the film that ran during its original theatrical release. But somebody actually found another print of the long European cut and spliced in the missing scenes. The footage from the European cut wasn't in as good a shape and had a red tint to it and you could tell when it would switch from one to the other, so watching it was a bit of an academic curiosity to see what was cut. Some of the glorious suspenseful openning was trimmed down, but not much. Surprisingly, the whole passage where the three hero characters all first in saloon was cut. And then the little part at the end with Jason Robbards dyingwas cut. So in the American cut, the three heroes meet later and Bronson and Robbards ride off into the sunset very much alive. In a way, this cut makes it much more Claudia Cardinale's story. But Leone's movies aren't about getting to the point quicker or whether a shorter cut "works". His films succeed by defying lean storytelling. He creates the most soulful iteration of Charles Bronson simply by lingering forever on a closeup and letting us spend the time to contemplate every line on his face.

I could go on and on about how this is one of my favorite movies of all time, but I will say I feel very lucky to have seen it on the big screen.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:36 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Last night my local grindhouse had a showing of...

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

If you're somebody who's into films in the awesomely perfect subgenre, it doesn't get any better than this. It's by far my favorite Western and Sergio Leone's masterpiece. Despite being a showing of an old movie late on a snowy Monday night, the place was pretty full. People, including myself, just have a love for this film. The score just stirs my emotions like none other. And seeing this film theatrically was kinda cute to hear the whole cinema of men release a smitten sigh when a shot of a sweaty Claudia filled the giant movie screen.

The interesting thing about the showing was that the print of the film was a really well-preserved 35mm print, but it was a cut of the shorter American cut of the film that ran during its original theatrical release. But somebody actually found another print of the long European cut and spliced in the missing scenes. The footage from the European cut wasn't in as good a shape and had a red tint to it and you could tell when it would switch from one to the other, so watching it was a bit of an academic curiosity to see what was cut. Some of the glorious suspenseful openning was trimmed down, but not much. Surprisingly, the whole passage where the three hero characters all first in saloon was cut. And then the little part at the end with Jason Robbards dyingwas cut. So in the American cut, the three heroes meet later and Bronson and Robbards ride off into the sunset very much alive. In a way, this cut makes it much more Claudia Cardinale's story. But Leone's movies aren't about getting to the point quicker or whether a shorter cut "works". His films succeed by defying lean storytelling. He creates the most soulful iteration of Charles Bronson simply by lingering forever on a closeup and letting us spend the time to contemplate every line on his face.

I could go on and on about how this is one of my favorite movies of all time, but I will say I feel very lucky to have seen it on the big screen.

My fiancees work has the 70mm version of it and they showed it just recently at their attached theater. Unfortunately we weren't able to go! Basically the library employees can show whatever they want. They do a showing friday night, saturday afternoon, and saturday night. This past friday was an uncut 35mm cinemascope print of Shogun Assasin.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Bayouwolf on Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Finally got around to seeing 127 Hours.

Amazing. James Franco gets everything completely right. His portrayal is spot on with what I would call someone who knows his way around the canyons. It doesn't really drag or give you cause to just want to see what you know is coming. It just shows you the amount of desperation a human is willing to endure before doing the unthinkable to survive.

An easy 9/10 from me.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:53 am

Watched Country Strong...

What horseshit this film was.. if I wasn't with my 82 year old grandmother I would have been screaming Bullshit through out the film.

BTW.. Season of the Witch.. awesomely bad film
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:31 am

SANTA SANGRE

This was a Jorodowsky film I had not seen before and was pleased to go see it in the cinema. It's one of his later works. It's a little slow getting started, it takes its time setting up this dysfunctional family of circus performers. The family drama builds up to a domestic violence episode in which the mum catches the father cheating with the tattoo lady and so the mum throws acid on their genitals. The father chops off the mum's arms in retaliation and then decides he'd rather not live without a cock and slits his own throat. The mum survives and the son acts as her arms, standing behind her and sticking his arms through the sleaves in her outfits and painting his fingernails so that they look like those of a lady. There's lots of funny stuff like when the mother is scolding the son and the son still does the arm gestures to aid in scolding himself. The film then follows the son's arch as he slowly learns self respect, stands up to his domineering mother, and reclaims his own arms.

The film has a lot more of a gothic horror vibe to than Jorodowsky's other movies. It feels like Vincent Price might be right at home in this one. But don't worry, there's lots of classic Jorodowsky trademarks such as animals, alternative universe religions, tits, castration, freaks, invalids etc. I would say it is a good time at the movies, not Jorodowsky's best, but still fun.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:42 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I saw Tangled the other day... jesus I don't know what drove me to see THAT movie, and it's kind of embarrassing to admit now because it didn't turn out so well.

Over all derivative of older/recent Disney movies, in particular Beauty and the Beast (or perhaps this seems an obvious comparison due to my limited exposure to Disney films).

And it was a musical, with pretty weak numbers that I felt ripped off older movies. But it turns out it had the same composer as the movies I thought it ripped off (musically). Except for the one number at a tavern full of ruffians... then again, that too was reminiscent of Beauty and the Beast's Gaston song.

However the forced (really, really forced) happy ending was the biggest slap in the face to the audience. Sorry, I grew up watching a few of the Disney princess classics, and none of them came close to have as r-tarded an ending as Tangled does. This is what I'm talking about, and of course it is a MAJOR SPOILER:

well in the film Rapunzel's hair has healing powers. The trick is that she has to sing to it (but it seems anyone can sing to it, this much isn't clear) and a magical force is activated with healing/fountain of youth powers clearly emanating from her HAIR. The rub is that she could never get a hair cut in her life, as a lock of brown and powerless hair on her head would attest to.

Cutting to the chase, and skipping over the details, Rapunzel's love interest lies dying from a knife wound... and her hair has been cut off, thereby losing its power. So when everything seems completely grim, and you wonder how they're gonna get themselves out of THIS mess-

a lone tear drops down from Rapunzel's eye and onto her (now) dead lover's cheek. Moments later his wound heals, he awakens, AND THEY LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER.

WTF?! ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

This makes me want to KILL Disney.

I saw the trailer for his and already felt like puking form the boring dull predicability of it all. Can't believe critics are liking it. It looks like it's trying to be Shrek. It looks like a complete cartoon failure.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:I saw Tangled the other day... jesus I don't know what drove me to see THAT movie, and it's kind of embarrassing to admit now because it didn't turn out so well.

WTF?! ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

I saw the trailer for his and already felt like puking form the boring dull predicability of it all. Can't believe critics are liking it. It looks like it's trying to be Shrek. It looks like a complete cartoon failure.

Its made for little girls you goofballs. Stop reading into it any deeper than that. I read the book version of this to my almost-5 year old daughter and she giggled with delight when that stupid tear hit that stupid guys face, bringing him back to life. Get some perspective people!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:25 pm

so sorry wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

WTF?! ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

Its made for little girls you goofballs. Stop reading into it any deeper than that. I read the book version of this to my almost-5 year old daughter and she giggled with delight when that stupid tear hit that stupid guys face, bringing him back to life. Get some perspective people!

Yeah well all GOOD film that are made for younger viewers also appeal to adults. Star Wars, ET anyone?

But this film is just awful! No WAY I'm seeing it! :evil: :evil:

Anyway, kids can cut their throats on Rapunzel's hair for all I care. They're what's killing the industry!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I WANT THE JESSIE J VERSION!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:13 am

My local two-screen theater was playing the Australian crime flick Animal Kingdom last weekend, so I checked it out. Any other Zoners see this? It was pretty good. The lead actor had all the charisma of a young Van Johnson, but that was okay since the stupefied naivete was a part of the character as well. Basically the concept of the movie is that the drug/crime world is like the animal kingdom, in that everyone in it lives in constant fear of death, but they keep going anyway and try to form a "pack" to protect themselves. The pack in question here is the Codys, a family of low-level drug dealers whose rigid pecking order is disrupted by the arrival of J, the son of an estranged sister who recently died. Everybody in the film was really good, or at least really well-cast, but the standouts are Jacki Weaver as the den mother Janine, and Ben Mendelsohn as psychotic elder brother Andrew, who starts to spiral out of control after witnessing the murder of his friend. Guy Pearce is in there as well, as a detective who tries to rescue J from his family. All talk of animal metaphors aside the story's really tense, the characters are all interesting, and the movie's got a great ending that raises a lot of questions.

One thing I was curious about afterwards was whether Australian cops are actually the violent dicks Animal Kingdom makes them out to be, or if that was an artistic liberty taken by director David Michôd to advance the "wilderness" idea. For example, one of them just walks up to the car of a drug dealer and blows him away, like an even crazier version of Dirty Harry. Another corrupt member of the DEA enlists several colleagues to help him kill a witness (either that or gives a bunch of criminals flak jackets), and the witness's security just leaves him to die. And two other point a pretend gun at civilians and pretend to shoot them in the head, just because. Now the idea of corrupt cops is nothing new, but pretty much every one of them besides for Guy Pearce is portrayed as violent and deranged.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:37 pm

SEVEN
This is the Andy Sidaris film, not the David Fincher movie, but nonetheless, if.....you ..... decide..... to .... keep........ thebaby ....... spoiliteverychanceyouget.

As a long time student of Andy Sidaris's films this was a huge treat. Never made available on any homevideo format, the film has been prettymuch impossible to see for the last twenty years or so. It's actually got some the best plotting and pacing for a Sidaris flick, not that that really says much. This one is a standard SEVEN SAMURAI knockoff, but with a pretty cool setup. The world's seven top crime lords have all joined forces to kill off Hawaii's law enforcement and then use the brief period of lawlessness to force dodgy real estate deals through and smuggle in lots of shit. The American government catches wind of this and decides to hire mercenaries to kill off the crime lords so discreetly that the public never catches wind of it.

William Smith (not the Fresh Prince, this is that poorman's Burt Reynolds from the Clint Eatwood monkeyboxing movie) is the head merc who recruits a squad of six other mercenaries and a masseuse. Each merc has to kill one crime lord. Each merc has their own skill: sharpshooting, standup comedy, being hot, hang gliding, massage, math, kung fu etc. Some of the kills are pretty funny. The one guy who looks like Black Dynamite hang glides over a golf course and drops a grenade on the baddy while he's golfing. The math whiz merc studies a bad guy's routine and calculates how to shoot a rocket from the other side of the island so that it hits him right while he's leaving the coffee shop from getting his morning coffee. The sharpshooter merc convinces the bad guy to put on a t-shirt with a big target on the chest and go surfing and the sharpshooter guy then gets the bullseye. I liked that the kung fu merc was a really fat guy with enormous grey hair who dressed like a janitor.

You get lots of good corny classic Sidaris moments. Some stuff he would re-use later in his other films such as an assassin on a skateboard, and use of an inflateable sex doll in a hit job. This film is also the first time Sidaris used that gag that he claims Spielberg stole from him, the one where a swordsman bad guy does a bunch of fancy sword tricks and then the hero just shoots him. Sidaris did it first, Spielberg did it best, whether it's just two guys stumbling on the same gag or if Spielberg actually did steal it I can't say. Apparently this film was shown regularly on HBO during the early 80s, so it's not crazy that Spielberg might have caught it.

So there were some good funny lines, some nice tits, some silly explosions, and general ridiculousness that made this a very pleasing viewing experience. I'm glad that my journey of seeing all of Sidaris's films has ended on such a good note.

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:00 am

I miss Andy Sidaris.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Monsters

Postby avp on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Just checked out the DVD and I thought it was amazing!

Brilliantly acted and directed (just won 3 BIFA (British Independant Film Awards)). the shots (aliens and nature) are beautiful as well

It looks like a hardcore sci-fi action movie but I guess it was more of a dysfunctional romance drama set in the backdrop of an alien invasion. Still thought it was fantastic and highly recommend it

let me know what you think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_-gL3U1T5Y
avp
GLIB

Postby avp on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:53 pm

Just saw I'm still here,

Hilarious doc about Juiaquin Pheonix going nutso and trying to become a rapper. Great clips online but worth watching entirety.

Random Sidenote: Produced by the Afflecks
avp
GLIB

Postby ironic name on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:47 am

saw 127 hours.
was good. the kind of macro-to-panoramic cinematography I'd like to see in a superman movie.
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby SilentScream on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:47 am

avp wrote:Just saw I'm still here,

Hilarious doc about Juiaquin Pheonix going nutso and trying to become a rapper. Great clips online but worth watching entirety.

Random Sidenote: Produced by the Afflecks

Seen this also. Sorry, thought it was utter shite in the main. Far too contrived, a vanity product of the most incestuous kind and nothing that Sacha Baron Cohen hadn't done before with far more hilarious results. It was totally unbeliveable to me and something a group of skanky students would've made for their media studies vox pop.
I used to like Phoenix but he's become far too much of a prat lately. And he's getting bizarrely uglier, too.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ribbons on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:45 am

I haven't seen I'm Still Here yet and I don't know if I want to, but it seems like there is a slight difference between it and the stuff that Sacha Baron Cohen does in the sense that Cohen's stuff is dependant on nobody knowing who he is (as far as pop culture is concerned Borat just sort of shows up fully formed), whereas this doc is only effective because everybody knows who Joaquin Phoenix is... well everybody might be a stretch. And because of that it's difficult to figure out where the character ends and the person begins.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby SilentScream on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:33 pm

Ribbons wrote:I haven't seen I'm Still Here yet and I don't know if I want to, but it seems like there is a slight difference between it and the stuff that Sacha Baron Cohen does in the sense that Cohen's stuff is dependant on nobody knowing who he is (as far as pop culture is concerned Borat just sort of shows up fully formed), whereas this doc is only effective because everybody knows who Joaquin Phoenix is... well everybody might be a stretch. And because of that it's difficult to figure out where the character ends and the person begins.

Well, yes, fair point. But essentially, it's the same thing. The audience (we) know that both Phoenix and Cohen are play acting to the unsuspecting 'victims' on screen. We are all in on the act. The difference here is that Phoenix SO much wants to show us his acting versatility, his Sunday School Method Acting, his immersion into another persona. He wants us SO to admire him, his daring trick, laugh with him, not at him. Look how far out he's going here! Wow, Casey Affleck has really captured something crazy, huh?! Well, er, no actually. Not at all as it happens.

It's so contrived, so deliberate, it's consumed by it's own self-indulgence.
It's a one trick pony kind of flick. A 10 minute skit you'd see on any half decent TV comedy show.
No wonder it bombed and left Phoenix looking like a right wally. His career has recovered since.
Now, THAT is a joke.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:15 pm

SilentScream wrote:The difference here is that Phoenix SO much wants to show us his acting versatility, his Sunday School Method Acting, his immersion into another persona. He wants us SO to admire him, his daring trick, laugh with him, not at him. Look how far out he's going here!

Yes he certainly gives every actor in the world a bad name. There they were, trying to do their work unseen, and along comes this showboater saying "hey its all pretend!" :wink:

SilentScream wrote: The audience (we) know that both Phoenix and Cohen are play acting to the unsuspecting 'victims' on screen. We are all in on the act.

Wasnt the whole thing an "is he faking it or not?" exercise? It was only shortly after release that they "came clean" not that I gave a toss personally either way.
I havent seen it, but it seems that there wasnt enough mystery about it to sustain the "its all true" lie, so they ditched it early to say, "yeah, we made it up, but see what fun we had doing it"

SilentScream wrote: left Phoenix looking like a right wally.

This bit I agree with. :lol:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby SilentScream on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:04 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
SilentScream wrote:The difference here is that Phoenix SO much wants to show us his acting versatility, his Sunday School Method Acting, his immersion into another persona. He wants us SO to admire him, his daring trick, laugh with him, not at him. Look how far out he's going here!

Yes he certainly gives every actor in the world a bad name. There they were, trying to do their work unseen, and along comes this showboater saying "hey its all pretend!" :wink:

SilentScream wrote: The audience (we) know that both Phoenix and Cohen are play acting to the unsuspecting 'victims' on screen. We are all in on the act.

Wasnt the whole thing an "is he faking it or not?" exercise? It was only shortly after release that they "came clean" not that I gave a toss personally either way.
I havent seen it, but it seems that there wasnt enough mystery about it to sustain the "its all true" lie, so they ditched it early to say, "yeah, we made it up, but see what fun we had doing it"

SilentScream wrote: left Phoenix looking like a right wally.

This bit I agree with. :lol:

Of course, all acting is pretending. But rarely do actors try and portray a wholly fictionalized version of their own selves. An alternative autobiography within an autobiography, if you like. And this movie proves the reason why. It invariably just does not work, especially in a mockumentary context and particularly when played for "laughs". This flick just came across as embarrassing, a hokey-cokey self-congratulatory exercise in actory self-masturbuation without the money shot.
The whole "is he faking it or not?" was, obviously, a cop out by them. Realizing they'd been rumbled early into the production they had nowhere left to go with it except by bailing out with that flimsy excuse. The final resort of the desperate.
And, yes, THEY may've had fun doing it. But judging by the end results that didn't transmute onto the screen at all. Awful stuff altogether.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:22 am

SilentScream wrote:rarely do actors try and portray a wholly fictionalized version of their own selves. An alternative autobiography within an autobiography, if you like. And this movie proves the reason why.

Actually, all of the cases I can think of of this meta-acting (or whatever you want to call it) have been pretty successful.

Jerry Seinfeld starred in a hit show called SEINFELD in which he played a New York comedian named Jerry Seinfeld, although the show was intended to be fiction. The show spawned a spinoff called CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM in which the producer of SEINFELD, Larry David, plays a producer of SEINFELD named Larry David, once again in a fictionalized reworking of his life.

John Malkovich portrayed himself in the fictional sci-fi film BEING JOHN MALKOVICH.

TRISTAM SHANDY was alright, none of its problems really came from the fact that Steve Coogan was playing himself in a fictional story.

In NEW NIGHTMARE, various cast and crew members from the NIGTHMARE ON ELM STREET films portray themselves in a fictional horror film.

I think JCVD was received better than most other Jean-Claude Van Damme movies.

James Frey needs to take some acting classes and blow the lid of this whole container.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:02 am

THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY

I was really pleased to see a 35mm print made in 2003 from the restored extended 3 hour cut of the film. Like all of Leone's films that make sense, it can obviously be trimmed to a third of its length and still communicate all the same information as the full length cut, but the point is the style. The visuals of giant open spaces and sweaty men's squinting faces, the Morricone score, the humour, the suspense. This film is pure cinema and one of the most ultimate excercises in style I can think of. A simple story about three men in a race to get some treasure; it goes in an endless but always enjoyable cycle of betrayals, reprisals, and characters always barely escaping the fates they condem each to. (35 Gamer points - I ended two sentences in a row with prepositions!).

The performances are all solid, Clint Eastwood does his usal good job of playing Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef is great as a cold bastard giving a light movie a bit more weight, but obviously Eli Wallach gets handed the meatiest role and walks away with the show.

Even though the story about a race to get to treasure is more like IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD and also has a light comedic tone, for some reason the structure of this movie always makes me think of the much darker APOCALYPSE NOW in that it's a journey that feels more like a bunch of stops than about the breakneck race. Also they both have big scenes near the end involving a crazy disillusioned military rallying to protect a bridge they don't want to protect. But I'll admit, it's an odd association.

Leone is one of my favorite directors and this one is probably my third favorite film of his. I never get sick of seeing it. I wish he'd gotten to make more films.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:16 pm

I always wondered if anyone else felt the urge to yell at the screen for the characters to finally start killing each other during the finale. Usually I'm not that bloodthirsty :oops:
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Scratchy on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:14 pm

SAw the fighter the other day.. I enjoyed it
Scratchy
GLIB

Postby minstrel on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:40 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY

I was really pleased to see a 35mm print made in 2003 from the restored extended 3 hour cut of the film. Like all of Leone's films that make sense, it can obviously be trimmed to a third of its length and still communicate all the same information as the full length cut, but the point is the style. The visuals of giant open spaces and sweaty men's squinting faces, the Morricone score, the humour, the suspense. This film is pure cinema and one of the most ultimate excercises in style I can think of. A simple story about three men in a race to get some treasure; it goes in an endless but always enjoyable cycle of betrayals, reprisals, and characters always barely escaping the fates they condem each to. (35 Gamer points - I ended two sentences in a row with prepositions!).

The performances are all solid, Clint Eastwood does his usal good job of playing Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef is great as a cold bastard giving a light movie a bit more weight, but obviously Eli Wallach gets handed the meatiest role and walks away with the show.

Even though the story about a race to get to treasure is more like IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD and also has a light comedic tone, for some reason the structure of this movie always makes me think of the much darker APOCALYPSE NOW in that it's a journey that feels more like a bunch of stops than about the breakneck race. Also they both have big scenes near the end involving a crazy disillusioned military rallying to protect a bridge they don't want to protect. But I'll admit, it's an odd association.

Leone is one of my favorite directors and this one is probably my third favorite film of his. I never get sick of seeing it. I wish he'd gotten to make more films.

This is one of the great films of all time. The closing sequence in the graveyard is the definition of "classic". Brilliant stuff.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Also, I was surprised that during THE GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY, I was the only person in the cinema who laughed out loud at that scene that begins with Clint randomly stroking a kitten.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby SilentScream on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Ribbons wrote:My local two-screen theater was playing the Australian crime flick Animal Kingdom last weekend, so I checked it out. Any other Zoners see this? It was pretty good. The lead actor had all the charisma of a young Van Johnson, but that was okay since the stupefied naivete was a part of the character as well. Basically the concept of the movie is that the drug/crime world is like the animal kingdom, in that everyone in it lives in constant fear of death, but they keep going anyway and try to form a "pack" to protect themselves. The pack in question here is the Codys, a family of low-level drug dealers whose rigid pecking order is disrupted by the arrival of J, the son of an estranged sister who recently died. Everybody in the film was really good, or at least really well-cast, but the standouts are Jacki Weaver as the den mother Janine, and Ben Mendelsohn as psychotic elder brother Andrew, who starts to spiral out of control after witnessing the murder of his friend. Guy Pearce is in there as well, as a detective who tries to rescue J from his family. All talk of animal metaphors aside the story's really tense, the characters are all interesting, and the movie's got a great ending that raises a lot of questions.

One thing I was curious about afterwards was whether Australian cops are actually the violent dicks Animal Kingdom makes them out to be, or if that was an artistic liberty taken by director David Michôd to advance the "wilderness" idea. For example, one of them just walks up to the car of a drug dealer and blows him away, like an even crazier version of Dirty Harry. Another corrupt member of the DEA enlists several colleagues to help him kill a witness (either that or gives a bunch of criminals flak jackets), and the witness's security just leaves him to die. And two other point a pretend gun at civilians and pretend to shoot them in the head, just because. Now the idea of corrupt cops is nothing new, but pretty much every one of them besides for Guy Pearce is portrayed as violent and deranged.

I saw this last night. I thought it was a fine, fine movie. Brutal without being overly graphic, yet totally unflinching in it's portrayal of a crime family coming apart at the seams and, to boot, that strange thing you don't often see in a crime movie - a real thriller cum morality tale. Where ultimately will 'J' Cody's loyalty lay as he is swept into his family's way of living and seeing the awful cost, personal and otherwise, that's being exacted?
Wonderfully scripted, tautly directed (a great debut) and superbly played (Weaver deserves the Oscar and Ben Mendelsohn is something else) this movie gripped me right from the start. Do yourselves a big favour, go see it or get it when it arrives on DVD.
And, yes, the ending was a fitting climax to a real peach of a flick. Best movie I've seen since A Prophet.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Yeah I only finally got to see The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly last year pretty much all the way through as an adult, but even then, I missed a lot of the beginning, but I still saw enough.

I could be here all day writing about it, and I don't have the time. But by God is it an astonishing, indulging film. A simple tale made so epic. It's those instances of morality that the movie loves to sink itself into, I love how those moments grab you. I do love that last installment, the bloodthirsty General and how Blondie witnesses all those poor soldiers get killed. Then of course, the whole character testing moment at the end.

The movie's not full of action, but just like Once Upon a Time in the West, there's quiet or still moments that stop me doing what I'm doing, and just get me sitting on my bed, leaning into the film totally succumbing to what Sergio Leone is trying to tell us. Appreciation for a situation. Not many films can make you feel the significance or actual drama that is going on in a scene (Chewie fixing 3PO in The Empire Strikes Back, classic example, who woulda thought such a throwaway seeming moment to be so moving?), but man, this film is a master of it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

I AM NUMBER FOUR REVIEW!

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:50 pm

I AM NUMBER FOUR

I couldn't find a review thread for this film, I didn't expect one. The next big "teenage franchise" doesn't really generate a lot of excitement in this place. However, as a fan of all things teen angsty I decided I would give my two cents on this film.

In short, I enjoyed it. My brother described it as "Karate Kid meets Twilight", but in reality it is almost the exact template of Smallville (not surprising since the writers of this film were the creators of Smallville) and Roswell. Essentially, a planet was decimated by an outside invasion force. The planet had protectors that possessed special powers (called Legacies) but they were children at the time so could not defend the planet. The 9 special kids were sent to earth with a warrior to protect them. The evil invading force now has its eye on Earth and is wiping out the 9 (in order, for some reason).

The first three have been killed, and we pick up with Number Four. He and his protector end up in a small town in Ohio, where he has run ins with the local QB and begins to develop his powers. He makes friends with the local "nerd" (who is more connected to him than he knows) and the beautiful Sarah.

It all unfolds as expected, but it hits the beats that it needs to. The romance is appropriately angtsy and the sci-fi is over-the-top and fun. There are extreme lapse in logic, but this is a film engineered for a very specific sort of entertainment. I wouldn't recommend it to any Zoners, unless you have a 13 year old and want to take in a film.

In the end, this film works as a big budget CW pilot. I doubt we will get that sequel, but I hope that it lives on as a TV show (perhaps replacing the soon to be completed Smallville...complete with Gough and Millar as show runners!).
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:45 am

I saw 127 Hours last night. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. It had its good points - James Franco does give a great performance, and the scenery is amazing - but ultimately it felt really padded out. Too many flashbacks. An opening sequence that's too long. And so on.

There's really no way of knowing what's going on in Franco's head during the film unless the filmmakers give him the opportunity to talk, so they use the device of having him talk to his video camera in the hopes that his family will one day see the video if he doesn't get out of there. This works for a while, but I wouldn't have minded a voice-over, so that he doesn't have to sound like, well, he's talking to his mom and dad.

I'll probably see it again, though, because it will go into my roomie's regular rotation over the next few weeks, I'm sure.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Seppuku on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:01 am

minstrel wrote:There's really no way of knowing what's going on in Franco's head during the film unless the filmmakers give him the opportunity to talk, so they use the device of having him talk to his video camera in the hopes that his family will one day see the video if he doesn't get out of there. This works for a while, but I wouldn't have minded a voice-over, so that he doesn't have to sound like, well, he's talking to his mom and dad.

I'll probably see it again, though, because it will go into my roomie's regular rotation over the next few weeks, I'm sure.

I enjoyed it, but I think those straight-to-camera scenes would have played better if I'd known at the time that the real dude Franco's character's based on actually shot hours of footage on the camera he had with him at the time. The footage was a personal thing only his family will ever see, so there aren't any clips of the real thing on youtube. It really did feel like a narrative device though, huh?

Out of this and Buried, I'd say the latter's probably a better film, but I was surprised at how good a job Franco did at holding a film that relied solely on his personality. Wish he'd been a bit better at doing that at the Oscars...
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:57 am

SilentScream wrote:
Ribbons wrote:My local two-screen theater was playing the Australian crime flick Animal Kingdom last weekend, so I checked it out. Any other Zoners see this? It was pretty good. The lead actor had all the charisma of a young Van Johnson, but that was okay since the stupefied naivete was a part of the character as well. Basically the concept of the movie is that the drug/crime world is like the animal kingdom, in that everyone in it lives in constant fear of death, but they keep going anyway and try to form a "pack" to protect themselves. The pack in question here is the Codys, a family of low-level drug dealers whose rigid pecking order is disrupted by the arrival of J, the son of an estranged sister who recently died. Everybody in the film was really good, or at least really well-cast, but the standouts are Jacki Weaver as the den mother Janine, and Ben Mendelsohn as psychotic elder brother Andrew, who starts to spiral out of control after witnessing the murder of his friend. Guy Pearce is in there as well, as a detective who tries to rescue J from his family. All talk of animal metaphors aside the story's really tense, the characters are all interesting, and the movie's got a great ending that raises a lot of questions.

I saw this last night. I thought it was a fine, fine movie. Brutal without being overly graphic, yet totally unflinching in it's portrayal of a crime family coming apart at the seams and, to boot, that strange thing you don't often see in a crime movie - a real thriller cum morality tale. Where ultimately will 'J' Cody's loyalty lay as he is swept into his family's way of living and seeing the awful cost, personal and otherwise, that's being exacted?
Wonderfully scripted, tautly directed (a great debut) and superbly played (Weaver deserves the Oscar and Ben Mendelsohn is something else) this movie gripped me right from the start. Do yourselves a big favour, go see it or get it when it arrives on DVD.
And, yes, the ending was a fitting climax to a real peach of a flick. Best movie I've seen since A Prophet.

Nice! :) Good to meet another fan.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:35 pm

My local grindhouse had a complete PLANET OF THE APES marathon featuring three double bill afternoons.

I had only vague memories of seeing the first film on television when I was a kid and I had never seen the sequels, so I figured, what better excuse?

Warning, SPOILERAMA!

PLANET OF THE APES

The film that started it all. This film is a b-movie that had a unique world, political charge, and a big twist ending that turned the film into a classic. Despite being played by Charlton Heston, the main character detests weapons and left Earth on a space mission that would involve freezing him for many years so that whole generations back on Earth would pass. He hoped humanity would improve in his absence. When he crashes, he finds himself in a world that looks a lot like The Flinstones only apes are in control and man is the animal. The movie goes about dealing with the theme of racism in a sadly realistic way. And by realistic, I mean frustrating. Heston just keeps banging his head on the wall trying to be recognized as an equal only to find most apes are either stupid or have a political interest in pretending to be stupid. Heston and two intellectual apes named Cornelius and Zira go through many frustrating scenes of show trials and cruelty. Like DISTRICT 9, the racial metaphor breaks down pretty quickly and for many of the same reasons once you start thinking about it.

It's a decent movie, the actors are all engaging, but it's not always entertaining.

BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES

I know this one is generally regarded as the worst of the series, but fuck, I guess this is where I get out my sniper rifle and shoot my credibility in the foot. I loved this movie and think it's the best of the series. Heston was somewhat anti-sequel and would only agree to a short period of time for this project so they brought in a new main character cast based on an uncanny resemblance to Heston. They link the characters through the sexy love interest chick who returns from the first film and helps guide the new guy to find Heston.

This one doesn't start off that great, it's a bit clunky getting going. For some reason they decide to re-show us the ending from the first film even though it's one of the most famous endings in movie history and I'm sure even people who haven't seen the film know what it is. The movie is in a rush to get Heston's character abucted and introduce the new guy. Then after that it finds its footing. They rehash the whole first film in about a quarter of the time and move on to this film's Vietnam war metaphor with the apes going after a human race of nuclear telekinetic masters of illusion. These nuclear people are the best. They live in the radioactive ruins of New York (the sets and effects are great). They routinely rip off their own skin while worshipping a nuke in a church. It's like something Jorodowsky would do. They do all sorts of crazy shit like priding themselves on being peaceful people because they use their telekinnetic powers to make other people beat each other to death instead of doing it with their own hands. The new guy busts Heston out of the nuclear people's prison and they take them on together.....and fail! The movie ends with both the heroes shot to death and the nuclear people blowing up the planet Earth. It's one of the most balls-out spectacular endings I've seen to an already crazy movie.

Of the whole series, this is the one I may buy and revisit. Fan-fucking-tastic!

Oh, and did anybody else notice how in these first two movies, despite being about the plight of blacks in America, whenever there is a black human character they go by the standard Hollywood racist manual and give him no dialogue and kill him first?

ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES

This one has a lot of STAR TREK 4: THE VOYAGE HOME shit going on. Obviously after the last one they had some trouble coming up with a way to make more sequels. But they're pretty inventive. Cornelius and Zira were riding in a space ship when the Earth exploded at the end of the last one and that blasted them back through time so that they could arrive in the 1970s and try on our clothes and have various goofy experiences. I liked seeing the monkeys in 70s leisure suits strutting around to Lalo Schiffrin music. I get that they're trying to do a reversal on the original, which in many film series is inventive, but the novelty of the first film was seeing monkeys put a man in a cage, flipping it to be humans putting monkeys in cages just isn't as novel. Corny and Zira go from being treated like animals, to treated like equals, to hunted like animals again. I definately liked the third act the most when it gets into all this FRENCH CONNECTION stuff with apes running around to 70s music having shoot outs 'n shit. It's the type of surreal I-can't-believe-they-made-this filmmaking I admire. Up until then, it's okay, but not great.

CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

This one is the slowest and cheapest of them all, but also the most edgy. It's set in a futuristic fascist America and this is achieved by having the human cast wear turtlenecks and filming the whole thing around some of that ugly cheap 1970s architecture. The film opens with Ricardo Montalbahn returning to guide Ceasar, the son of Cornelius and Zira, through the city as he rattles off exposition. Montalbahn is arrested by the turtleneck gestapo and when faced with a room full of turtlenecks, he choses suicide. Ceasar is now on his own and forced to work as a slave like all apes. We watch him very very very slowly build a resistance movement and ultimately lead a riot against the pigs. He delivers a good monologue at the end and the movie is mostly saved by its strong finish, but it's a slow cheap ride there.

BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES

This is where the original series ended. It does a good job of bringing things full circle to explain the foundation of ape society and those cool nuclear people I liked in the second film. It's a decent low budget battle movie in the tradition of ZULU. We see Ceasar fail in his attempt to build an ape society that is morally better than man's and ultimately chose denial as a coping mechanism. There are some good twists and decent action pieces, so it's a step up from the previous entry and a good place to end the story.

PLANET OF THE APES: THE REMAKE!

This one was prettymuch exactly as I remembered it. During its initial theatrical run I went to see it with really low expectations because I don't like Tim Burton or Mark Walhberg and I was pleasantly surprised. It's a pretty fun sci-fi b-movie. Tim Burton excels at all the things he normally excels at, such as production design, and fails at all the stuff he normally fails at such as filmmaking. He got a decent script and kinda fumbles with it. The remake tries to tackle the same issues as the original series but I don't think racial divides, nuclear war, and Vietnam were as prickly issues as they were during the original film's release and the writers couldn't find a new issue to exploit in the remake, so this one kinda lacks the political shock factor that made the original such a classic. It was also going up against that whole remake hate thing. I think the remake makes a number of improvements to the pacing. In the original, Heston spends forever trying to reason with the apes only to meet frustration at every turn, whereas Walhberg just wants to get the fuck out of there, so that drives the movie forward a little faster.

The only thing really throwing the movie off is probably Estella Warren as the obligatory beautiful woman. In the original film, Whosertits had a purpose in the plot and for the main character, here not so much. She prettymuch serves the purpose of eye candy. In one hilarious part, Walhberg is watching a video log and coming to a grim realization about the fate of his commrades who have been dead for centuries and the origins of the Planet of the Apes, but Estella Warren's pushed up boobies are right there at his eye level standing behind him in perfect focus while he cries and grieves 'n shit. It's distracting and funny when it shouldn't be. Warren also kinda crushes the one new thing the remake could've done, which is get into an inter-species romance between Walhberg and Helena Bohnam Carter. This is never more apparent than during the two back to back farewell scenes in which Walhberg gives Carter the buddy hug and Warren gets this full on kiss like these two were in love or some shit.

But the movie is a fun b-movie romp. The actors playing the monkeys are all fantastically watchable and there are plenty of good character moments featuring them. Elfman delivers his most un-Elfmanesque score, which to me is a good thing. And in spite of Burton's inability to direct action sequences, the thing moves along pretty quickly and is a good time.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Bloo on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:53 pm

Beneath has always been my favorite of the Apes movies Spandau, I knew you'd dig it. I figured you'd like Escape a little better then you did just for Ricardo Montelbon who is fantastic in it. I've always dug Conquest...and the original and Battle and hell I even enjoyed the remake.

Apes is one of my favorite film series that seemed to do interesting things when faced with budgetary or story issues (like the planet blowing up at the hands of Charlton Heston).

The Lincoln monkey statue at the end of the remake isn't as shocking as the Statue of Liberty was, but that probably has to do more with our expectations of some shocker then any thing else. They should have ended it with Marky Mark going to meet the Funky headed bunch
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:27 am

Yeah, I definately liked how every movie ended on a bleak note and in a way that made you think they couldn't possibly make a sequel and then they would. The whole series has strong endings.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby GothamAlleys on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:25 pm

What did you think of the remake?
GothamAlleys
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:05 am

They used to play the apes sequels all the time in the UK during the 90's, sadly rather late at night, but those endings. Ouch. Escape has to be the most gutting, I mean its probably even worse in recollection, but its fucking GUTTING!!1 Perhaps THE most downbeat ending in cinematic history? I have to stop typing now and go cry. I love those damn dirty apes!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:08 pm

GothamAlleys wrote:What did you think of the remake?

If you are asking me, you can scroll up and find out.

The more I think about it, the more my review above is correct. Burton needed to go full on with a romance between a human and an ape in order to really bring anything new to the series. They hint at Helena Bonham Carter fancying Mark Walhberg, but they needed to be explicit with it and get rid of the female human love interest.

I realize beastiality is a big risk for selling a movie, but one that I think they should've taken.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:13 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:
GothamAlleys wrote:What did you think of the remake?

If you are asking me, you can scroll up and find out.

The more I think about it, the more my review above is correct. Burton needed to go full on with a romance between a human and an ape in order to really bring anything new to the series. They hint at Helena Bonham Carter fancying Mark Walhberg, but they needed to be explicit with it and get rid of the female human love interest.

I realize beastiality is a big risk for selling a movie, but one that I think they should've taken.

hey, it worked for Trading Places....

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion