What have you been watching? (Cinema)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: What have you been watching? (Cinema)

Postby Peven on Sun May 31, 2020 1:15 am

TheBaxter wrote:if i can spare one person the need to watch this film, then i have done my duty.

First Blood was such a great film. Rambo II was jingoistic nonsense, but at least it was entertaining from an action perspective back when i was going through puberty. everything else in this franchise has been pretty pointless and dumb.
if they want to send this character out the way he deserves, they should have made him an overweight, drunk, MAGA-hat-wearing trumptard who gets fired from his crappy job as a Walmart greeter, can't afford his meds anymore, blames all his problems on the deep state, and decides to stage some kind of inept takeover of the local DMV because the internet tells him it's a front for a child pr0n ring, only to get himself shot and killed in the process. it would have been a fitting and more believable send-off for this character.

he needs to be killed off by Tarantino the way he killed off Bud in Kill Bill II

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:41 pm

I watched most of Snowpiercer over the last few days, and The Pope of Greenwich Village last night.

Showpiecer... holy crap is this a sucky movie. I'm about 2/3rd thru, I'm not sure I can make it to the end.

Pope of Greenwich Village... I've heard about this movie for decades, never had the opportunity (desire?) to watch, but it was on last night so I gave it a whirl. Mickey Rourke doing his best (worst?) goomba impersonation, and Eric Roberts was full on batshit crazy. And I'm not sure that was how the script was written, or that's just Eric Roberts. I'm glad I watched it., but the ending was a bit of a head scratcher. Bonus: young Darryl Hannah, whose role was to stand around in bra and panties.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:52 pm

"Snowpiercer" is a movie that started as an all-night coke session with a few dudes who thought they had the best idea ever for a movie and just couldn't let go of it no matter how much they failed to come up with a clear narrative or meaning. it is a concept movie, and they have their place, but most times they are just pieces of brightness and imagination within a jigsaw mess that fails to tie it all together. "Elysium" is a lot like that, too.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:16 pm

Peven wrote:"Snowpiercer" is a movie that started as an all-night coke session with a few dudes who thought they had the best idea ever for a movie...

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion