DEATH RACE

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: DEATHRACE 3000 Teaser Trailer

Postby travis-dane on Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:43 am

HELL YEAH!
I LIKE it!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:08 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:the lesser of the directorial Andersons has never had a problem coming up with enough decent imagery to cut a decent to geek-gasm inducing trailer, but his films, generally, don't live up to them.

I thought Mori was penning a "Death Race 2000" remake?

I think at somke point he was working on a Race With the Devil remake...not sure about the Death Race one though...I would actually be a little more interested in a Moriarty infused Death Race remake moreso than an Anderson updating...
And they should've found a way to work in Stallone...

But the GF enjoys Statham...but it's okay cause we share a first name, so I'm sure at some point I'll be seeing this...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:30 pm

LAME!

The trailer just gave away every fucking "story" point. What possible reason could there be to watch it now? Well, sure, it has hot women, 'splosions, and Statham putting the beat down on people, but other than that? I've only seen the trailer and I want my money back. Notice its just called Death Race now. Fuck this. Paul Way Shitty Anderson strikes again.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:45 pm

MPAA wrote:Rating: R for strong violence and language

No boobies?!?!?!?!?!?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby so sorry on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:07 pm

Just once, ONCE, I would like the good-guy-framed-to-look-like-a-bad-guy plotline throw out the window and just have an entire movie of evil fucking bastards fighting and killing each other.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:36 pm

It wasn't me, it was the one armed man!
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby DDMAN26 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:03 pm

I find anything with Jason Statham impossible to dislike.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:07 pm

HAve you seen "War"?
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:09 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:HAve you seen "War"?

Or Crank for that matter. I do not get why people liked that movie. It had faster cuts then MTV...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby DDMAN26 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:38 pm

I liked both of those movies, the very definition of guilty pleasure.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:14 am

so sorry wrote:Just once, ONCE, I would like the good-guy-framed-to-look-like-a-bad-guy plotline throw out the window and just have an entire movie of evil fucking bastards fighting and killing each other.

The big studios seem to think that people these days won't cheer for a true anti-hero...
The guy that's not actually a good guy...he's just not the worst of the bunch...
Like Snake Plissken...or Bronson in Once Upon a Time in the West...for 2 quick examples...
They're the hero and the one we root for, but that doesn't mean they're good people...

These days every anti-hero is just a hero who's been framed or mistreated so they look like they're bad...but they probably own a bunch of fucking hamsters that they put little dresses on and what-not...

I agree that we need more badass muthafuckas just being badass muthafuckas...
Just make one of them a rapist or something so that we know who to hate...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:53 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
MPAA wrote:Rating: R for strong violence and language

No boobies?!?!?!?!?!?

Perhaps Ian McShane will flash 'em real quick.

This movie doesn't look to be the Worst Film Ever...

...but then, PWSA's films usually don't on their first trailers.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:LAME!

The trailer just gave away every fucking "story" point. What possible reason could there be to watch it now? Well, sure, it has hot women, 'splosions, and Statham putting the beat down on people, but other than that? I've only seen the trailer and I want my money back. Notice its just called Death Race now. Fuck this. Paul Way Shitty Anderson strikes again.

Its a douse of ASS with a side serving of WEAK SAUSE!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Maui on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:22 pm

DDMAN26 wrote:I find anything with Jason Statham impossible to dislike.

Good man, I feel exactly the same way.

This movie looks kick ass. I am so there. For one we have car racing, Mad Max style, secondly we have Jason Statham. They showed a trailer for this before "Wanted" and it completely reeled me in.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:58 pm

Maui wrote:
DDMAN26 wrote:I find anything with Jason Statham impossible to dislike.

Good man, I feel exactly the same way.

This movie looks kick ass. I am so there. For one we have car racing, Mad Max style, secondly we have Jason Statham. They showed a trailer for this before "Wanted" and it completely reeled me in.

Did you already start in on the Kokanee?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: DEATHRACE 3000

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:05 am

If you must know, I'm drinking apple juice straight up, at the moment.

First of all, I love car racing in movies. Adore it. Secondly, Jason Statham :oops:
This is why I go see this movie.

So, take off, eh? ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:04 pm

Maui wrote:If you must know, I'm drinking apple juice straight up, at the moment.

First of all, I love car racing in movies. Adore it. Secondly, Jason Statham :oops:
This is why I go see this movie.

So, take off, eh? ;)

Watch the Original.. then try to watch the trailer again after...

If your anything like me, you'd want to hit your self in the head with a brick to ease the pain that the trailer causes.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Maui on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:29 pm

I haven't seen the original BR.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:08 pm

as soon as i read how they were totally changing the type of race being run i lost interest in this. why the fuck call it "Death Race" if you aren't going to stick to the one big thing about the original that made it unique and such a cult fav, the points-for-kills among the general public? Anderson once again shows he doesn't have a fucking clue

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:02 pm

Peven wrote:as soon as i read how they were totally changing the type of race being run i lost interest in this. why the fuck call it "Death Race" if you aren't going to stick to the one big thing about the original that made it unique and such a cult fav, the points-for-kills among the general public? Anderson once again shows he doesn't have a fucking clue

Looks like every other fucking race related movie thats come out since FAST AND THE FURIOUS.. Souped up cars, with built guys driving them with hoochi's either participating or watching the cars go fast, only to fuck the guys later...

The fist one was cool because A) I don't know about Stallone, but none of the drivers were "LOOKERS" they all had cool personalities and characters and were real good at looking psychopathic. B) DEATH RACE ment any one caught in the way had a real good chance at dying! They encouraged the drivers to fucking hit pedestrians!

Maui, I would HIGHLY recommend that you check out the original! It's got David Carradine in a S&M suit! and its Slyvester Stallone's first real acting gig! Combined with Roger Corman producing and you have an instant cult gem.

As some one on IMDB put it:
this movie is the condemned with cars
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:09 pm

The GOOD people at THE ASYLUM already got their knock off ready to roll!

DEATH RACERS

STARING I.C.FUCKING P! and RAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This, for as cheep it looks, already appears to be 10 times better!

I love that ICP are basically playing themselves!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:11 am

The original was on Turner Classic Movies a few days ago and out of the blue my DVR recorded it, which was weird because I hadn't set it to. It must have remembered the last time I recorded it. I think I'll watch that instead. Maui, you can come over and watch it too, I'll tape a picture of Statham to the screen so it will look like he's in the movie.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby travis-dane on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:37 am

bastard_robo wrote:The GOOD people at THE ASYLUM already got their knock off ready to roll!

DEATH RACERS

STARING I.C.FUCKING P! and RAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This, for as cheep it looks, already appears to be 10 times better!

I love that ICP are basically playing themselves!

RAVEN!
HOLY SHIT!
Gotta see that!
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Maui on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:38 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Maui, you can come over and watch it too, I'll tape a picture of Statham to the screen so it will look like he's in the movie.

Alrighty, sounds like a plan. Sorta similar to your AV, huh?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:39 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
Maui, I would HIGHLY recommend that you check out the original! It's got David Carradine in a S&M suit! and its Slyvester Stallone's first real acting gig! Combined with Roger Corman producing and you have an instant cult gem.

Will do. Can't believe I missed this one.
Maui
WoWie

Postby John-Locke on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:15 am

Empire Online have got a wicked cool clip from the film available HERE

This actually looks like it could be fun
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby The Vicar on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:58 am

Maui wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:

Will do. Can't believe I missed this one.

It was one of the flicks at the Music Box Theatre Sci-Fi Marathon - with Mary Woronov in attendance.
Its good, goofy, stoopid fun.
Watching Carradine slap Stallone around?
Priceless.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Re: DEATH RACE

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:53 pm

Some new crap.. this time with Carradine!!!!

As part of an upcoming retrospective on Paul Bartel’s 1975 cult classic DEATH RACE 2000 (see it in Fango #277, on sale in September), Fango spoke to actor David Carradine, who revealed his brief role in Paul W.S. Anderson’s DEATH RACE remake, opening August 22 from Universal. “There was such a hue and cry on the blogs when they announced that—people writing, ‘How dare you remake this great movie?!’ ” Carradine, who played the heroic Frankenstein in Bartel’s film, tells us. “One wrote, ‘How dare you remake it without David Carradine?’—so I’m in it. I’m the voice of Frankenstein [played in the redux by Jason Statham] at the beginning. I don’t think they intended to use me at all—they didn’t even give me a call until they were in post production. I guess they felt they had to make some response to the fans, who were very upset about me not being in the picture!

“All of a sudden, they got a brilliant idea to have me voice Frankenstein in the beginning, because he’s got a big mask on anyway. They ashcanned the original voice and put me in it, so that would satisfy the fans watching this film that really and truly is another movie, not DEATH RACE 2000.” Carrandine’s latest film, the Quentin Tarantino presentation HELL RIDE, opens today. For more on Anderson’s movie, check out Fango #276, on sale this month. —Pat Jankiewicz

I don't know if thats a spoiler or not... I dont think it is because they've mentioned Frankenstein in the movie a dozen times already...
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:23 am

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:36 am

I like the attitude of the clip ("Get out of my car!" Kick! Dong! :D), but hate the crappy CGI when the guy flies out of the car (I've seen stuff like that more than once in other movies and NOBODY can tell me that it's impossible to do with real stuntmen!) and the embarassing camerawork. "Hey, we are zooming in and out all the time, do you believe us NOW that we are really in a moving car?"
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:18 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37905?destination=node%2F37905

new redband clip up. now, i am no fan of Paul W.S. Anderson but Beaks ranting is out of context, and the clip isn't nearly as bad as he makes it out to be, imo. if he really couldn't figure out where Statham's car was at all then maybe he was watching it while going full on ret@rd himself. it is this sort of knee-jerk bashing that reduces my interest in reading main site reviews or news from the B-listers like Beaks or Merrick, who both come across like people who need A LOT more bran in their diet.....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:46 am

check out the redband clip, a new one. even Beaks should be able to follow the action without getting confused.......

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/deathrace/

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby buster00 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:35 am

Love the original, but I think this looks like fun too.

I'm going to see it, and I'm going to pretend it's called something else besides Death Race. Simple as that.

It's not like there's much similarity between the two movies.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:16 pm

I had a really good time watching this movie, but I still can't believe there's no videogame? I mean, WTF? There hasn't been a Twisted Metal game in years. Isn't cars shooting missiles at each other just a natural part of video games? I'm sure Statham would even provide a voice, he did a bunch of other video game voice work.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby John-Locke on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:35 am

I've been expecting this film to be completely bollocks since I first heard PWSA wanted to make it, that was like a decade ago.

I was wrong

This film is seriously fun, violent and BADASS, featuring some absolutely brilliant car action.

It's a leave your brain at the door kinda film but there is nothing wrong with that, it'll appeal to the masses and fans of the original.

Anderson has made his best film since Event Horizon.

7.5/10
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby instant_karma on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:18 am

John-Locke wrote:I've been expecting this film to be completely bollocks since I first heard PWSA wanted to make it, that was like a decade ago.

I was wrong

This film is seriously fun, violent and BADASS, featuring some absolutely brilliant car action.

It's a leave your brain at the door kinda film but there is nothing wrong with that, it'll appeal to the masses and fans of the original.

Anderson has made his best film since Event Horizon.

7.5/10

Although I'd probably only give it a 6, it is definately Anderson's best movie since Event Horizon.

I think the fact that the movie had less narrative than a modern video game meant that Anderson could just focus on the eye candy and not have to worry about the trickier aspects of movie making like character and plot points.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby John-Locke on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:37 am

A 6 is probably a fairer score, I just digged how violent it was
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby instant_karma on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:51 am

I enjoyed the violence too. I kind of wish he'd thrown some T&A in there as well just to place it further into the exploitation realm. Seems kind of strange that he didn't since he was going for the R rating anyway.

I started watching the movie anticipating the worst, so the fact that it was semi decent was a pleasent surprise.

I'm curious about how much this movie was a dress rehearsal for his Spy Hunter movie. Hell, he even had cars driving over power-up icons...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby travis-dane on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:00 pm

I liked the movie too, Ian McShane did a good job and Statham looked cool with the Frankenstein outfit.
And it was cool to see a Hollywood movie promoting two men and one baby relationships....
I would give it 6 out of 10 and an extra point for Tyreese and Statham's deep Manlove.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:14 pm

I liked how they used David Carridine as the Frankenstein who gets killed at the beginning.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:41 pm

oh yeah, i saw this movie a while back and I guess i never wrote about it...

Well, I'll just say I agree with Travis, IK and JL above, and I'd also give it a 6. It was quite a bit more fun than I expected. Enough so that I was able to largely ignore the occasional stupidity and cliche.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Ribbons on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:51 pm

I... got nothin'

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion