OZ: The Great and Powerful

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

OZ: The Great and Powerful

Postby sleepflower on Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:33 am

Does anybody have any further information on this.

All I know it's prequal and a big producer picked it up and it is being written by american mcgee, the guy that wrote the dark computer game Alice???
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:42 am

Have heard of it, but haven't heard anything new.

Those poppies outside the Emerald City will probably come pre-packaged in their own syringes...

There's also reportedly an American McGee "Grimm" project in the works. They both sound like fun already!

BTW, sleepflower (speaking of "poppies"), welcome to the Zone, if no one has said so...!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:00 am

I would love to see an 'Oz' prequel, had a quick scan about and this is all I could find on it;

The film is a prequel to the classic L. Frank Baum book "The Wizard of Oz" (HR 1/26). McGee said that the hero of the story, a teenage boy named Arthur, is whisked away from Earth to an Oz in turmoil. "Like Neo in 'The Matrix' films, the boy makes a hero's journey and comes to grips with his powers,"

comparing 'Oz' to 'The Matrix'?.........hmmmmmmmmm
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:53 pm

Shit, for a second I thought we were going to get to see the early adventures of Schillinger, O'Reily, and Agamemnon Busmalis et al
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Fievel on Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:20 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:Shit, for a second I thought we were going to get to see the early adventures of Schillinger, O'Reily, and Agamemnon Busmalis et al

Seriously... I thought it was going to be about Beecher's pre-manlove adventures as a cutthroat alcoholic lawyer.
Sigh.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby sleepflower on Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:40 pm

Cheers buster for the hello. I got a good welcome at the London meet up even though I was so new, photos in that thread over in general interest.

Just been to check up on him (Mcgee) in IMDB and he is doing an alice in wonderland project! With sarah michelle gellar.

Now keep in mind his last alice (computer game) was a brunnette, so we may see SMG with dark haor once again, and lets be fair, the best thing she ever did was cruel intentions.

I think over at www.computerandvideogames.com was where I saw Oz info ages ago.

He is basically doing all the film projects I ever wanted to do.

Dark fairytales and surreal adventures are my total love.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:58 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:I would love to see an 'Oz' prequel, had a quick scan about and this is all I could find on it;

The film is a prequel to the classic L. Frank Baum book "The Wizard of Oz" (HR 1/26). McGee said that the hero of the story, a teenage boy named Arthur, is whisked away from Earth to an Oz in turmoil. "Like Neo in 'The Matrix' films, the boy makes a hero's journey and comes to grips with his powers,"

Do you think it might be about the boy who eventually becomes the Wizard?

Sounds interesting anyway, it has potential.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:35 am

John-Locke wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:I would love to see an 'Oz' prequel, had a quick scan about and this is all I could find on it;

Do you think it might be about the boy who eventually becomes the Wizard?

Sounds interesting anyway, it has potential.

I like it!
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Re: OZ Prequel

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:02 pm

Mysterio gives us a look at Tim Burton's LOST IN OZ

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

From Cinematical Jul 15th 2008: Finally! 'Wicked' to Get a Movie Makeover
Erik Davis wrote:It wasn't too long ago that I was talking about how Jersey Boys should be adapted for the big screen. In that same post (and in another one as well), I said how Wicked was one of Broadway's best (if not the best) and yet it still hadn't gone the movie-musical route. Fans of the musical finally have a chance to rejoice, however, because Variety tells us that as part of producer Marc Platt's (Wanted) new, extended five-year contract with Universal, he'll be working on a movie version of Wicked, along with a sequel to Wanted and a remake of the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar.

Here's what Uni's production president Donna Langley had to say about Wicked: "Our goal now is absolutely to make the 'Wicked' film, but much like Judy Craymer wouldn't give up screen rights to 'Mamma Mia!' until the stage show had reached its pinnacle, Marc and Stephen Schwartz are very mindful of the right timing. But we're dying to do it." Wicked, for those not in the know, is based on the best-selling novel about the two witches in the Land of Oz -- Elphaba, the future Wicked Witch of the West, and Glinda, the Good Witch of the North -- and is set mostly before The Wizard of Oz, kinda like a prequel. It'd also be an interesting adaptation because there's that fantasy element that hasn't really been present in the last round of movie-musicals; thus, I'll be curious to see how they pull this one off.

WICKED THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE WICKED WITCH OF THE WEST by GREGORY MAGUIRE

Dark Oz
From Variety Mar. 2, 2008: 'Dark Oz' to be screen trilogy
WINTER MILLER wrote:Hip-hop artist Pras Michel of the Fugees has optioned film and TV rights to comic series "Dark Oz," originally published by Caliber Comics. Storyline follows an older Dorothy Gale in a "gothic and more macabre" setting as she journeys through Oz with the characters known to millions via Frank L. Baum's "Wonderful Wizard of Oz."

Screenplay was adapted from the work of original comic creators Aaron Denenberg, Ralph Griffith and Stuart Kerr with plans to begin production at the end of 2008. Pic will be a live-action version of the comic trilogy, which Michel intends to produce as three separate films. In addition to producing duties, Michel plans to star as the Scarecrow.

Michel produced upcoming release "The Mutant Chronicles" with John Malkovich and Thomas Jane, and a 2007 docu on homelessness, "Skid Row," in which Michel lived as a homeless man in Los Angeles for nine days.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re:

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:04 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:Shit, for a second I thought we were going to get to see the early adventures of Schillinger, O'Reily, and Agamemnon Busmalis et al

Glad I am not the only one. I've been rewatching the series on late night repeats.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: OZ Prequel 'BRICK'

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:17 pm

From 24 Frames:
Toto Recall: Disney now in the Wizard of Oz game too
Steven Zeitchik wrote:Joe Roth, the studio-executive-turned-producer, is developing a movie called "Brick" that delves into how the Wizard of Oz came to sit behind the curtain (like Dorothy, he's apparently from Kansas). Mitchell Kapner, the writer on the mob comedy "The Whole Nine Yards," has written a draft of a screenplay, basing it on pieces from several other L. Frank Baum "Oz" books as well as his original ideas.

From The LA Times:
Hitting the Yellow Brick Road again
Steven Zeitchik wrote:Hollywood is once again off to see the wizard.

In fact, it may make several trips.

As Tim Burton's interpretation of "Alice in Wonderland" continues to attract audiences, film-world power brokers are looking to jump-start a number of remakes of "The Wizard of Oz" -- a close adaptation of the original novel, a prequel about the wizard and a darker tale about Dorothy's granddaughter in Oz. Two of the three are, like "Alice," stories about a girl on an identity-forging series of adventures.

Audiences who know the film only from TV runs and remastered DVDs of the 1939 Judy Garland classic could soon find themselves with several Oz options at the multiplex. But the remakes again raise questions about whether Hollywood is turning too often to its past -- and whether a new version will expand on the rich mythology of "Oz" or simply trade on it.

Two "Oz" updates that have been set up at Warner Bros. -- one at its New Line label and another at the parent studio -- are suddenly surging in the wake of the $210-million worldwide opening weekend of "Alice." Warner Bros. executives have put the word out to representatives of top-level Hollywood directors that they're keen to make at least one of the movies.

The New Line movie is conceived as a comparatively faithful, non-musical adaptation of the original L. Frank Baum novel "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz." Produced by "Twilight" producers Temple Hill Entertainment, the film is written by "Shrek Forever After" writer Darren Lemke, who has completed a draft of a script. The script hews closely to the book -- published in 1900, Baum's novel lies in the public domain, thus allowing screenwriters to adapt it free of copyright concerns -- with only small adjustments. (Dorothy is 16 years old instead of 14, for example.) Producers hope that the movie can become the basis of a franchise whose future installments would draw from the 21 other books Baum wrote about the Land of Oz. Warner Bros., whose " Harry Potter" draws to a close next year, is hoping the same.

"The idea is that no one has done a faithful adaptation of the Frank Baum books, something that's more of a straight adventure story," says Temple Hill's Wyck Godfrey, a producer on the film. "The MGM movie [from 1939] took the source material and made a classic musical."

A second project is notably darker. Titled "Oz," it's written by Josh Olson, who also adapted "A History of Violence.". "Oz" tells the tale of Dorothy's granddaughter, who returns to the Emerald City to fight evil. But it, too, takes cues from Burton's "Alice": It features a girl who returns to a magical land with which she has a history in order to right a wrong.

"Alice" is more directly tied to yet another new "Oz"-related project. "Alice" producer Joe Roth, is producing "Brick," a prequel about how the wizard arrived in Oz (he's from Kansas too, apparently). Roth says he met with Disney production president Sean Bailey on Tuesday and is in discussions with several directors. Mitchell Kapner ("The Whole Nine Yards") has written an original script partly derived from pieces of Baum books.

Laying out a sprawling story of Munchkins, wizards, witches and Dorothy's rogue band of characters, Victor Fleming's "The Wizard of Oz" has been embraced by numerous generations and landed as the No. 6 film on the AFI best-of list. Studios clearly hope its popularity will give a new film a head start in finding an audience.

But it's precisely the title's iconic status that has discomfited some observers, who, in the era of "Transformers" and "Battleship," see it as evidence of Hollywood's over-reliance on established names. And because "Oz" occupies a special place in the American consciousness, a remake comes with a stigma not unlike that of, say, Madonna covering Don McLean's "American Pie."

In fact, even directors have their reservations, which have impeded the search for an A-list filmmaker. "The knee-jerk thing is, 'I'm not remaking the MGM movie,' " Godfrey says. "And we have to explain, we're not remaking the classic, we're making a movie out of the book."

Defenders also point out that there have been numerous "Oz" interpretations: the 1978 black-oriented film "The Wiz" (based on a play), the 2003 stage hit "Wicked" (based on a book) and multiple television versions.

"It's healthy for any culture not to depend on one definitive version of its myths," says Syracuse University TV and popular culture professor Robert Thompson. "The big caveat is that it has to be done well. If you do a bad remake of 'Starsky & Hutch,' it's no big deal. If you mess with 'The Wizard of Oz' and you do it badly, the level of emotional investment is much greater."

The new projects could create a battle within Hollywood more intense than a battle between the wicked witch of the West and the good witch of the North.

Despite their differences in tone, it's unlikely Warner Bros. would make both films.

And the progress of the other films could affect the status of a film version of "Wicked," which Universal and "Wanted" producer Marc Platt have been developing for some time.

Sometimes, it turns out, there can be too many blue birds flying over the rainbow.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby buster00 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Audiences just wouldn't accept a close translation of the book. They'd be bitching about the "silver" slippers.

"Silver slippers? Everyone knows it's 'ruby' slippers, durrrrr."
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Oz the Great and Powerful

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:57 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:07 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:03 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 04, 2010 10:03 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:23 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:52 pm

hhmmm, a new Oz flick? having read the book and knowing how great a difference there is between it and the '39 film version i am looking forward to seeing how Raimi handles material that is definitely darker than the '39 version, since i doubt he is just going to do a straight remake, or a musical, and instead go back to the original source material

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/the-morning-read-october-6-2010

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Yeah, but will you be able to play a Pink Floyd album and waste the hours away while watching this???
I think not...

And does a midget die?
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby The Vicar on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:35 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:Yeah, but will you be able to play a Pink Floyd album and waste the hours away while watching this???
I think not...

And does a midget die?

Only if you crank the Floyd up really, really fucking loud.
Midgets can't hang wid dat shite.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Peven on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:45 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:Yeah, but will you be able to play a Pink Floyd album and waste the hours away while watching this???
I think not...

And does a midget die?

hit "play" on the 3rd roar...... :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:29 pm

Peven wrote:hhmmm, a new Oz flick? having read the book and knowing how great a difference there is between it and the '39 film version i am looking forward to seeing how Raimi handles material that is definitely darker than the '39 version, since i doubt he is just going to do a straight remake, or a musical, and instead go back to the original source material

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/the-morning-read-october-6-2010

Return to Oz was pretty dark for a kids film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Oz the Great and Powerful

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:22 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Wicked

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:48 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Oz, the Great and Powerful

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:07 am

HEAT VISION EXCLUSIVE:
Robert Downey Jr. Out of 'Oz,' Johnny Depp to Take Over?
Borys Kit wrote: Robert Downey Jr. has fallen out of Oz, the Great and Powerful, Disney’s prequel-ish take on The Wizard of Oz tale, and the studio is in discussions with Johnny Depp to step into the great wizard’s robe.

Sam Raimi is due to direct the tale of Oz as a young illusionist with a grandiose attitude who is forced to flee a traveling circus. His hot air balloon is swept up by a tornado to the land of Oz, which is run by two magical wicked witches.

While it doesn’t have a start or release date, the Joe Roth production is a high priority for the studio, which hopes to start production in the second half of the year.

Disney is hoping not to miss a beat with Oz. It has hired a unit production manager and begun the task of creating the world of Oz.

The question with Depp, who has a close relationship with the studio after starring in its Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and last year’s Alice in Wonderland, will be whether the timing works out.

Depp is scheduled to begin shooting Dark Shadows, Tim Burton’s adaptation of the 1960s gothic soap opera, for Warner Bros. this spring. Depp is also attached to star as Tonto in The Lone Ranger, another Disney project, this one being produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. Ranger is further back in the development process than Oz, although it has a director, Gore Verbinski.

Disney clearly would love for Depp to do both, but if he commits to Oz, that pushes Ranger back. Can the other talent involved in Ranger wait that long?

Downey, meanwhile, seems to freeing up his dance card for 2011, with Oz the second project he is backing away from. The actor was to star in Gravity opposite Sandra Bullock but dropped out in November.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Oz, the Great and Powerful

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:08 pm

James Franco in Early Talks for 'Oz' After Johnny Depp Passes (Exclusive)
Borys Kit & Matthew Belloni wrote:The latest contender for the Oz throne? James Franco.

The Oscar-nominated host of the Academy Awards is in early talks to star in Oz, the Great and Powerful, Disney’s prequel-ish take on The Wizard of Oz tale being directed by Sam Raimi.

The Oz role has been a hot one since Robert Downey Jr. fell out two and a half weeks ago. Johnny Depp was then in discussions for the role but after several meetings ultimately passed last night.

Franco may be, at first blush, an odd choice to topline the tale of a young illusionist with a grandiose attitude who is forced to flee a traveling circus. His hot air balloon is swept up by a tornado to the land of Oz, which is run by two magical wicked witches.

But from acting pinned to a rock in 127 Hours to a cameo as a drug lord in Green Hornet to his stint on General Hospital, Franco is showing he is not following anyone’s playbook, but his own.

Sources caution that no dealmaking has begun and many issues would need to be ironed out, but if the stars align, Franco would be back working with Raimi for the first time since they collaborated on Sony’s Spider-Man movies. At this stage, Franco hasn't met with Raimi to discuss the project.

While Oz doesn’t have a start or release date, the Joe Roth production is a high priority for the studio, which hopes to start production in the second half of the year.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby SilentScream on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Don't know so much about this film but I do think that James Franco is fast becoming one of the most interesting actors out there. He mixes his career choices about and doesn't seem to give a damn about what others think. Got to admire that.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:42 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:25 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:28 pm

VARIETY EXCLUSIVE:
Mila Kunis set for 'Wizard of Oz' prequel
Marc Graser wrote:Mila Kunis is set to pack her bags and head to the land of Oz.

The actress has wrapped up negotiations and sealed a deal with Disney to play Theodora, the youngest sister of three witches, in "Oz, the Great and Powerful," the prequel to 1939's "The Wizard of Oz."

Kunis will co-star opposite James Franco, who portrays a fast-talking snake oil salesman and illusionist who flees a traveling circus and winds up whisked away in a hot air balloon by a tornado to Oz where he must face off against real magic and the sisters battling for control of the land.

Theodora starts out as a good witch, alongside her beautiful sister Glinda, but after her sexual advances are jilted by Franco's salesman, she's convinced by Evanora to switch sides and help her older sister rule Oz.

Sam Raimi helms "Oz" this summer from a revised script by David Lindsay-Abaire ("Rabbit Hole"). Joe Roth ("Alice in Wonderland") produces.

Pic will reunite Kunis with Franco, who appeared in a cameo in last year's comedy "Date Night." Duo also filmed the Funny or Die short, "The Hills," in 2007, as a spoof of the MTV reality series.

The studio has started considering other actresses for the other sister roles, including Olivia Wilde, Amy Adams, Kate Beckinsale, Keira Knightley and Rebecca Hall.

Kunis, who is coming off awards contender and indie B.O. hit "Black Swan," had been circling the project for some time, but had also been weighing other films, including the Warner Bros.' adaptation of "Akira," by the Hughes Brothers (for whom she co-starred in "Book of Eli"), and the start date for Seth MacFarlane's comedy "Ted," with Mark Wahlberg, Joel McHale and Adam Scott, at Universal. It had also been unclear which of the three witches she would portray.

No release date has yet been set.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:42 pm

There is some weird interconnectedness between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis. First they play two characters vying for the same role in Black Swan, then Portman plays a friend with benefits to Ashton Kutcher, Kunis's That '70s Show co-star, in No Strings Attached. Then Kunis plays the same role in a similar film called... Friends With Benefits. Then Your Highness comes out, a fantasy film co-starring Natalie Portman and James Franco. Then James Franco signs to do another fantasy film co-starring... Mila Kunis.

Instead of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, people should play, like, Two Degrees of Black Swan.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 26, 2011 6:51 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:13 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:17 am

Warner Bros. Wins Key Legal Ruling Impacting All 'Wizard of Oz' Remakes (THR, Esq. Exclusive)
Eriq Gardner wrote: In 1900, L. Frank Baum wrote the famous children's novel, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. It's easy to assume that since the book was published more than 110 years ago, the characters of Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Cowardly Lion and the rest are safely in the public domain.

Or so Hollywood hopes. Many movie studios are in the midst of re-adapting the classic. But the truth about what's in the public domain and what's not may be a little murky, thanks to a decision on Tuesday by the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.

Warner Bros. owns the rights to the 1939 MGM movie, The Wizard of Oz, starring Judy Garland.

Five years ago, the studio sued AVELA, which specializes in nostalgia merchandise. The defendant had acquired restored versions of the movie posters and lobby cards for Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind and several Tom & Jerry short films. AVELA extracted images of the famous characters from the films and put them on shirts, lunch boxes, music box lids, playing cards and more. Warners claimed copyright infringement.

At the district court level, Warners won summary judgment and got an injunction. This hard-fought case eventually landed at the Eighth Circuit, whose job it was to figure out what was copyrighted and what was in the public domain.

On certain elements, Warner loses. The justices agree with AVELA that because the publicity materials were made available some 70 years ago without copyright notice and without instructions to return or destroy, they were injected into the public domain. The Eighth Circuit thus lifts an injunction on certain items, such as any faithful reproduction of Tom & Jerry posters.

However, Warners may have won a much bigger point, and the decision has the potential to impact everything we think we know about the public domain, as well as several Wizard of Oz remakes currently in development.

In essence, the panel of justices finds that the features of film characters can be copyrighted even if these characters were based on prior work. According to the decision:
"We agree with the district court’s conclusion that Dorothy, Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, and Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz, Scarlett O’Hara and Rhett Butler from Gone with the Wind, and Tom and Jerry each exhibit “consistent, widely identifiable traits” in the films that are sufficiently distinctive to merit character protection under the respective film copyrights....Put more simply, there is no evidence that one would be able to visualize the distinctive details of, for example, Clark Gable’s performance before watching the movie Gone with the Wind, even if one had read the book beforehand. At the very least, the scope of the film copyrights covers all visual depictions of the film characters at issue, except for any aspects of the characters that were injected into the public domain by the publicity materials."
We've boldfaced the part that's likely to cause some discussion among Hollywood lawyers. As we noted in our past article on this topic, there are nine Wizard of Oz projects currently in development, by one count, including a big-budget 3D film by Disney directed by Sam Raimi and starring James Franco that's meant to be a prequel to the classic film.

Might these films have to be very, very careful going forward?

One lawyer believes so.

"The court's statement that the film copyrights cover 'all visual depictions' of the characters recognizes that there is often a quintessential version of a literary character that exists in the public's mind as a result of a popular film adaption," says Aaron Moss, the chair of litigation at Greenberg Glusker. " Any filmmaker that wants to create a new version of a literary work -- even one in the public domain -- needs to be careful not to use copyrightable elements of characters that first appear in protected motion picture versions of the works. Of course, when it comes to characters depicted by live actors, this may be easier said than done."

In the decision, the Eighth Circuit affirms "in large part" the lower court's ruling and permanent injunction.

In a statement, Warner Bros. said, ""We are gratified by the court of appeals' ruling affirming the lower court's grant of summary judgment in our favor."

Asked if the studio intends to use this decision to get tough on any of Wizard of Oz films currently in development, Warner Bros. said it has nothing to add at this time.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:00 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Oz The Great And Powerful

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:21 pm

Photo of James Franco in 'Oz: The Great and Powerful' Surfaces
Erin Carlson wrote:With many months to go before James Franco hits the big screen in Sam Raimi's Oz: The Great and Powerful, a promotional campaign has apparently begun in Italy.
our editor recommends

The James Franco Forever fan site has posted an Italian ad for the film that shows Franco as the Wizard of Oz -- with a top hat, slightly anguished expression and hot air balloon in the background.

Oz: The Great and Powerful is an origin story about the wizard who runs the Emerald City -- and is far less powerful than its residents, and Dorothy for that matter, are led to believe. In Raimi's prequel to the L. Frank Baum classic, the would-be Oz is a young illusionist with a grandiose attitude who is forced to flee a traveling circus. His hot air balloon is swept up by a tornado to the land of Oz, which is overseen by magical wicked witches.

The movie, slated for release on March 8, 2013, co-stars Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams, Rachel Weisz, Zach Braff and Abigail Breslin.

Franco, who recently premiered his experimental film Francophrenia at the Tribeca Film Festival, took over the role after Robert Downey Jr. dropped out and Johnny Depp passed on the part.

The Source Of The Oz Image Is Found, Yields Iron Man 3 Pic And Possible Twist In Fate For Disney’s Planes
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:50 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Pay no attention to this poster and its feeble attempt to look like a LOTR poster! Pay no attention!

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:53 pm

SilentBobX wrote:Pay no attention to this poster and its feeble attempt to look like a LOTR poster! Pay no attention!

Mahalo

:lol:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:17 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:23 pm

From Collider:
30 Things to Know About Sam Raimi’s OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL From Our Set Visit; Plus Video Blog Recap
Sam Raimi Talks Pulling Material from Baum’s Books, Crafting the Look of Oz, Not Tarnishing the Original, & More on the Set of OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub wrote:What’s the balance between reverentially regarding Mr. Baum’s material, which has endured on its merits, for well nigh a century and wanting to make that alive and fresh for the modern sensibility of a modern movie-going audience?

Raimi:
Well, when I came to the project, I had never read any of Baum’s work and I’ve only read four of the books now. First of all, I so loved the movie The Wizard of Oz that I was afraid to read versions of it that were not exactly what I loved so much about the movie. This is very strange, I didn’t want the book to mess up the movie for me, this is where I was at. But then, after I read the screenplay, which I loved, I started to read the books and appreciate Baum’s work. I was so surprised at how exactly [the movie] The Wizard of Oz was his first book. His work is fresh right now. It’s brilliant and affecting and the characters don’t need to be refreshened by anybody.

However, the screenplay is based on a lot of elements of a lot of his books. In many of his books, and even more than the ones I read, he would go back and talk about the wizard. There’s a little bit about the wizard in the first one, a little bit about the wizard in three and four. He went back and said, “Here’s how the wizard got here and this was his backstory.” So what the writer, Mitchell Kapner, did was he took all those elements that were given to the audience in later books that he’s kind of rearranged…not “kind of,” he’s put them back in chronological order of what happened to the wizard, how the wizard got there to the Land of Oz.

So he’s already taken tremendous artistic license and it’s not exactly what happened in the books that was talked about, may have been referenced. He’s had to fill in the blanks. So, when I read the screenplay, it was never a faithful adaptation of any of the books. It was the writer piecing together what Baum had given him, and then he had to fill in a tremendous amount of blanks. There was no information there.

What might have the Wicked Witch or these other characters have been doing during this time? Sometimes it was written about, sometimes it wasn’t. So, I think Mitchell Kapner could best speak about it, but he’s taken elements of the books and rearranged them in what could have happened. It’s a “what if” story.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm having a hard time gauging the interest level of this movie here... but, god help me, I am looking forward to it. It is my next Move I Have To See. I know the CGI looks very... CGI-y, but they've assembled an impressive cast, a beautiful world, and never count Raimi out (unless it's Spider-Man 3). Plus I'm intrigued by reports that they're drawing from supplemental materials/"appendices" of L. Frank Baum's, even if the story isn't followed to the letter. I wouldn't know, but perhaps someone could fill me in on that.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:35 pm

Ribbons wrote:...I know the CGI looks very... CGI-y.....

This is the kind of movie that CGI doesn't bother me. Its a goofy acid trip fantasy world. I don't mind the over the top graphics.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: OZ: The Great and Powerful

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:44 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Image

I came.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby travis-dane on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:00 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:Image

I came.

...on her Kunis.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:14 pm

I wish I had Spandau's Shatner/Kunis poster on tap right now.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:43 am

Franco is the modern day Jack Nicholson :)
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Next

Return to Movie Discussion