GRINDHOUSE

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate Grindhouse?

35%
8%
12%
17%
2%
5%
4%
1%
2%
No votes
No votes
I'm waiting for DVD / TV
8%
I like my splatter films with a little more Christ in them / Won't be seeing this
6%

Total votes : 84

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:53 am

Flumm wrote:Some semi- SPOILER soaked suppositions...

Perhaps it's already common knowledge, so forgive me if is indeed the case, but imdb lists Machete simply as Machete at this point, (as apposed to Machete (Planet Terror Segment). I'm thinking it's reasonable to suppose, if it hasn't already been placed in the less co-orperative areas of my memory sludge at a previous date, that he is to play his part in both tales?

Seems like a natural route for them both to take with such a project I'm thinking...

I'm pretty sure it's just one of the made up trailers.

Machete looks Badass but why anyone would need that many Machetes is beyond me.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:00 am

John-Locke wrote:Machete looks Badass but why anyone would need that many Machetes is beyond me.

Then you have forgotten....

Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby doglips on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:05 am

[snigger]That is stone cold, Mr Wilson.[/snigger]
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:43 am

Just call me Steve Austin!
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:41 am

This and Pan's Labyrinth are heads and (in the case of Planet Terror, at least) fine-ass tails above the competition for must-see NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Only about 5 months or so...

YAY!!!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:15 am

HOLEEEE SHIT.

That looked awesome. Although I'm confused, where did Machete come in to it? There didn't seem to be any transition between that trailer and the planet terror trailer.
TonyWilson

Postby Peven on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:17 am

i think the Machete stuff was part of one of the faux trailers.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Vegeta on Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:30 am

Yeah, I think I caught the same trailer on the Scream Awards on Spike TV last night. Looks f'ing cool! Love Machete!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:55 pm

OH HOLY FUCK YEAH!!!

THAT TRAILER IS SPINE-TINGLING COOL!!!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:00 pm

John-Locke wrote:Machete looks Badass but why anyone would need that many Machetes is beyond me.

didn't he run out of knives in Desperado?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:06 pm

To help clear things up Machete has nothing to do with either story and is merely one of the stand alone trailers in middle of the souble feature.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:46 pm

god....that actually made me excited for this film! I'm there, fuckers! Woo!
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:05 pm

That trailer was deliciously over the top.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Eunuch Provocateur on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:24 pm

That trailer looked pretty sweet... I definitely want to see it, except for the whole "grindhouse" film-quality seems a little silly, over the top. But, then again, I guess the whole idea is over-the-top, so that's cool.

It'll probably work out in the context of the film[s]
There's no Devil, just God when he's drunk. -Tom Waits.
Eunuch Provocateur
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Conroy420 on Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:09 am

Everything looked interesting, but I think many, many people will be turned off by this.

It will do poorly at the box office but great on dvd.

I liked everything I saw although the chick-with-the-gun-leg kind of sucked inho. It just seems too over the top, I know thats the point, but still...

I'd like to Rodgerize tackle another comic adaptation, something a little more prominent.

Maybe after the Dark Knight is released, they'll do DKR sin city-style, all green screens made to look like the comic.
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:51 am

Mmmm, that looked good. I loved the lighting, and the action, well, 'nuff said. If these guys tightly edit, I think we're in for a treat.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:53 am

I literally can't stop watching the trailer!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:21 am

When I clicked on this link, it was on view 666.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:21 am

Conroy420 wrote:Everything looked interesting, but I think many, many people will be turned off by this.

It will do poorly at the box office but great on dvd.

I think your wrong.
Both Kill Bill and Sin City made a great deal of money especially when you consider the small budgets Tarrantino and Rodriguez traditionally work under.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonsieurReynard on Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:31 am

Hmm...Sadly, that trailer has done little to usuage my opinion that this is the indulgent side really coming out.

It just doesn't convince me at all. It feels like Snakes On A Plane for film historians ("HA! Because we know what they're referring to and the plebians don't, it's alright to enjoy this trash with our eternally arched eyebrows!")
Reynard City is back! Find out what the heck is going on at http://www.ecswebdesign.co.uk/wip/reynardcity/

*Free copy of Issue 1 *Reynard City Stories *An Audience With AK Girl and more...
MonsieurReynard
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:15 pm

Reynard: I kinda disagree.

I think this is two people having a fuck load of fun!

Thats all...

simple.

Its like you or I, both drunk on cinema as I'm sure we both are, and where we have our own ways of showing off our love for film and being creative. They have become successful enough to engage in a purely fun project. All though this film will have amazing characters etc it is never going to be a "serious" film. This film is 110% fun!

Nothing else

I love exploitation cinema and can't wait the film! I can see why people say they're indulgent but I think that is a cynics point of view. Someone who has seen enough Tarantino and Rodriguez.

Fair enough

Me?

Never enough!

THey are mentioned so much because of who they are.

This isn't like Snakes on a Plane because that film people could have gone to see and enjoyed and not had a fucking clue about the "injoke" my friends wouldn't have known it was based on the B movies of old.

They would have scoffed at a film called Snakes on a Plane but I built them up to it and tomy suprise even took their ladyfriends to the cinema to see it!

This is throwing it in your face and saying two things:

"Remember these! How fucking good are they! Come along for the ride"

and for rest:

"You're gonna wonder what the fuck you're watching. You ain't never got this at a multiplex before. But we're gonna open your eyes and afterwards your gonna demand the floodgates of 60's/70's exploitation be opened!!!"

And I can't wait to see the twisted, confused faces of all those teenyboppers in the multiplex.

I'll be fucking loving the whole affair. I find it hard for a film geek not to A) b looking forward to these B) Punch drunk in love with the whole fucking idea!

:-)

but anyway... I'll keep this short! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:17 pm

Okay, I came on here to say how fucking much I love the trailer!

I just saw it and WOW! :-)

fucking love it! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:56 pm

Hahahahaha, this looks really cool. I can't say I've indulged in alot of 60's/70's B movies...but I get the point. Indulgent, sure, but it also looks like alot of fun. I think you have to respect directors who make something just for the pure joy of it instead of making An Important Statement.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:00 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Hahahahaha, this looks really cool. I can't say I've indulged in alot of 60's/70's B movies...but I get the point. Indulgent, sure, but it also looks like alot of fun. I think you have to respect directors who make something just for the pure joy of it instead of making An Important Statement.

What?!?!?!

You're saying Rose McGowan having a machine gun for a leg and shooting zombies with it isn't An Important Statement...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Ribbons on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:01 pm

havocSchultz wrote:You're saying Rose McGowan having a machine gun for a leg and shooting zombies with it isn't An Important Statement...?

I believe that statement is: don't fuck with strippers who have machine guns for legs.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:06 pm

Ribbons wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:You're saying Rose McGowan having a machine gun for a leg and shooting zombies with it isn't An Important Statement...?

I believe that statement is: don't fuck with strippers who have machine guns for legs.

Well...that would've been nice to know a couple of weeks ago...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:07 pm

Ribbons wrote:

giving handiCAPPED a whole new meaning...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:24 pm

I thought for a minute that it'd be cool to have a machine gun instead of a dick, but nah.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:15 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I thought for a minute that it'd be cool to have a machine gun instead of a dick, but nah.

you thought for a minute it would be cool to have a dick for a dick too, but then realized you didn't have enough $ for the operation. :P

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:53 pm

I watched the trailer and now I can't see anything because my giant erection is in th eway. I hope I typed ths ok.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:02 pm

GOD bless Danny Trejo. He adds +10 cool points to any movie he's in. It's a damned shame, he's a character actor. There aren't enough machetes in the world that's gonna save his life by the end of the movie. He ain't gonna tap Peg Leg McGowan or that blond with the runny mascara, that's for damned sure. I'll still watch the movie in hopes that he'll maybe get some severed boob in his eye before he dies.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby MonsieurReynard on Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:29 am

silentbobafett wrote:Reynard: I kinda disagree.

:-)

I know, and I really don't want to piss on anyone's parade here.

However, I can't shake off my feeling on it- I enjoyed From Dusk Till Dawn, it was a trashy film, but at least it was an actual film.

This isn't a spoof, it's not a straight film, it's a homage to a bygone era that the studios helped destroy- like the Burger King in the Norwich Castle Mall that looks like a diner.

And it's a continuation from another problem I had- with more discipline, Kill Bill would have been one excellent film as opposed to one film that was great fun, and a jarring coda that tried to add dimensions to what was essentially a Woman With No Name.

Likewise Rodriguez is also culpable- Sharkboy And Lava Girl would not have been allowed by any other director. Nobody would let me do a film of me doing voices for my niece's cuddly toys.

And I say this having just seen The Departed, Scorcese's best film in years. These two should be the bloody masters and instead they're at playtime.

I'm not saying they can't do trash, and there is nothing wrong with a fun film. I'm just saying I'm not breaking into hysterical excitement over it when I've seen both directors do much, much better.
Reynard City is back! Find out what the heck is going on at http://www.ecswebdesign.co.uk/wip/reynardcity/

*Free copy of Issue 1 *Reynard City Stories *An Audience With AK Girl and more...
MonsieurReynard
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby buster00 on Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:57 am

Tentative release: April 6.

See you guys later. I gotsta go stand in line for tickets.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:04 am

I'm in front of yah Buster and I'm buying em all!

Who wants sum? :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:32 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:GOD bless Danny Trejo. He adds +10 cool points to any movie he's in. It's a damned shame, he's a character actor. There aren't enough machetes in the world that's gonna save his life by the end of the movie. He ain't gonna tap Peg Leg McGowan or that blond with the runny mascara, that's for damned sure. I'll still watch the movie in hopes that he'll maybe get some severed boob in his eye before he dies.

dude, you do know that the Machete stuff is just part of one of the faux trailers, not part of the actual movie(s), right?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:01 am

Peven wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:GOD bless Danny Trejo. He adds +10 cool points to any movie he's in. It's a damned shame, he's a character actor. There aren't enough machetes in the world that's gonna save his life by the end of the movie. He ain't gonna tap Peg Leg McGowan or that blond with the runny mascara, that's for damned sure. I'll still watch the movie in hopes that he'll maybe get some severed boob in his eye before he dies.

dude, you do know that the Machete stuff is just part of one of the faux trailers, not part of the actual movie(s), right?

No, I neglected to read those insightful posts that clarify the faux trailers from the real feature. My heart is broken all the same.

Of course, if Danny Trejo does end up in a Planet Terror, kicking all kinds of ass, I will rain mighty blows of justice upon your brow, Mr. Peven.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Cbabbitt on Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:33 am

Looks like they're definitely having fun with it. It looks From Dusk Till Dawn fun...which is highly enjoyable.

I know WinslowLeach is dying for this thing. heh. :)
Cbabbitt
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

GRINDHOUSE NEWS (With Planet Terror Trailer)

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:31 am

So i guess we get to see what Danny Trejo's Charecter from SPY KIDS was like before he retired and just started building a bunch of overglorifyed games for his niece and nephew.

I liked the first spy kids film, but fuck, if danny trejo was like this in it, it would have rocked even harder!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby austenandrews on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:20 pm

Oh man, I almost got the most badass shot from the set today - a flatbed truck with three identical versions of Kurt Russell's matte-black muscle car. It was a sweet sight. Unfortunately my damn camera battery died.

I'm charging it now and will scope the site again tomorrow.
Gordian Algebra, my new webcomic
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:53 pm

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby buster00 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:00 pm

Supa Bad!

Under one of those photos,

Robert Rodriguez wrote:''The best thing about Grindhouse is how easily it can be a franchise...(w)e can do kung fu, blaxploitation, you name it.''

And that makes me very excited.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:13 pm

To put it plainly, QTs movies are like doses of cinema smack. They encapsulate why I love movies. I cant wait to go see Grindhouse. Its going to be a damn fun time at the movies.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:10 pm

Kurt Russell looks super bad. Still a little too pretty. I wonder if his agent will let him run his face through some gravel or asbestos to give him a more worn look.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:39 pm

Heh, "boner movies." Yessir.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thatsfunny on Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:15 pm

this film has the coolest posters i've seen in a while
thatsfunny
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:28 pm

An Italian giallo style DP poster I made: