GRINDHOUSE

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate Grindhouse?

35%
8%
12%
17%
2%
5%
4%
1%
2%
No votes
No votes
I'm waiting for DVD / TV
8%
I like my splatter films with a little more Christ in them / Won't be seeing this
6%

Total votes : 84

Re: GRINDHOUSE

Postby Seppuku on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:06 pm

Bloo wrote:I like the idea of Stuntman Mike

Nice veiled insult against your OLEG brother there, Bloo. I thought you guys were too buddy-buddy to be true. I'll bet a tenner it'll be daggers at dawn before the month's out. :wink:
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Bloo on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:06 pm

but I LOVE StuntCOCK Mike
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:21 pm

Look, I love cock as much as the next guy.

That is all.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby travis-dane on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:10 am

StuntCock 4 life!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Ribbons on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:59 am

So I've caught Death Proof a couple of times already, but I finally say down and watched Grindhouse in its entirety last week.

The short answer is I really enjoyed it. This is the kind of movie you put on late at night with a couple friends and enjoy. I'm not a huge fan of Robert Rodriguez but Planet Terror left me giddy, and honestly I did not expect that, because all during the promotion of Grindhouse I thought Rose McGowan with her machine gun leg was the dumbest thing in the world. And there are things about the movie that are certainly odd, like Naveen Andrews and his weird fascination with pickled testicles, but overall I just thought the tone was exactly right. The "missing reel" followed by the burning house was hilarious.

Now that Winslow has gone to that great big grindhouse in the sky, I feel slightly more comfortable saying that Death Proof was a total buzzkill. There are parts of the film that are flat-out brilliant, specifically the character of Stuntman Mike and Kurt Russell's performance, and to a reasonable extent I caught Tarantino's references to the exploitation genre and understood what he was trying to do. But I hated the dialogue, and not because it was "bitches talking," but because it was Tarantino at his most self-consciously Tarantino-esque. Those scenes were interminable, especially the one at the farm where the characters move back and forth for like 15 minutes arguing about bullshit just so they can rent a car. The chase scene that followed was great, but even though Tarantino is known for being a dialogue guy, there is absolutely no excuse for having 80% of the movie being characters sitting around a table trying, and failing, to sound cool.

I loved the trailers. All of them. Don't and Thanksgiving were brilliant on so many levels.

So I really liked Grindhouse on the whole. There were even things about Death Proof that I admired. I'd give this like a 6-7/10
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion