GRINDHOUSE

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate Grindhouse?

35%
8%
12%
17%
2%
5%
4%
1%
2%
No votes
No votes
I'm waiting for DVD / TV
8%
I like my splatter films with a little more Christ in them / Won't be seeing this
6%

Total votes : 84

Postby tapehead on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:23 pm

That machine gun peg leg is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen

But who am I kidding, I watched Dusk 'til Dawn like, twenty times - the opening night crowd in the Cinema freaking out when Salma Hayek vamped out and the bats came flying is a memoriy I'll always enjoy

I'll be there opening night for this one
Last edited by tapehead on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Nordling on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:27 pm

That trailer is like BNAT rolled into 1 minute 40 seconds. Loved it.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:40 pm

Vegeta wrote:GRINDHOUSE TRAILER IS UP!

AND HOLY SNAP DOES IT LOOK AWESOME!

Thanks for the link Vegeta, it does look bloody awesome!!! Much better than what I expected!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:45 pm

that was....... weird.

It looks like it might be a fun event to do, but honestly, taken individually, that looked pretty stupid to me. Now I admit that that trailer certainly doesn't give me much to work with, but still.

Fun but forgettable, I think that will sum this up nicely.

Is a serious-type movie ever going to come out off Tarantino again?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:50 pm

Well, the concept of grindhouse is all about the explotation film era...

And, there really isn't alot of "serious" films in those categories, more like lots of schlock.

I am taking Grindhouse at face value... basically, that it's going to be alot of fun!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby unikrunk on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:50 pm

so sorry wrote:that was....... weird.

It looks like it might be a fun event to do, but honestly, taken individually, that looked pretty stupid to me. Now I admit that that trailer certainly doesn't give me much to work with, but still.

Fun but forgettable, I think that will sum this up nicely.

Is a serious-type movie ever going to come out off Tarantino again?

Your question presupposes that there was a serious film from him to begin with; which I would debate, if I were anything more than a very lazy interweb troll.

/Even Res. Dogs had some camp.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:53 pm

I'm giving Tarantino some credit for Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown being serious-type movies, and Res. Dogs is borderline.

It was just a passing thought...

I'm with you Veg, I will not go into these movies (if I go) expecting anything that Nordling would consider worthy of a film critique, more just a film experience!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:58 pm

Nordling!

Crap, now you did it! I think he's coming in here!

\runs
\hides
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby buster00 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:02 pm

It's not just sweet, it's NUTRA sweet.

SO so there.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:06 pm

so sorry wrote:I'm giving Tarantino some credit for Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown being serious-type movies, and Res. Dogs is borderline.

I'm with you Veg, I will not go into these movies (if I go) expecting anything that Nordling would consider worthy of a film critique, more just a film experience!

Jackie Brown I think is the closest to 'serious' as he has gotten. Pulp Fiction is fucking insane. I don't think of it as serious as res. dogs.

/but that is only a matter of opinion
//3.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:07 pm

unikrunk wrote:
so sorry wrote:I'm giving Tarantino some credit for Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown being serious-type movies, and Res. Dogs is borderline.

Jackie Brown I think is the closest to 'serious' as he has gotten. Pulp Fiction is fucking insane. I don't think of it as serious as res. dogs.

//3.

I don't know about Pulp Fiction vs Res. Dogs in seriousness, but I definitely concur with the Jackie Brown part. That's probably his most "human" movie of all.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:41 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
unikrunk wrote:

//3.

I don't know about Pulp Fiction vs Res. Dogs in seriousness, but I definitely concur with the Jackie Brown part. That's probably his most "human" movie of all.

Perhaps because it was an adaptation rather than an original screenplay by Quentin?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:46 pm

That is one of the coolest fucking trailers Ive ever seen. I knew it would rock my socks off and it delivered in spades. I actually got a movie boner from that.

Robert and Quentin are the coolest dudes working in movies today. They know how to make movies baby!!!

I cant wait to sit in the theater with a crowd and watch the craziness unfold!! Its gonna be a blast!! :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:47 pm

I'll admit, i was not excited at all about this film. But that trailer...dear god....glorious. beautiful. amazing. it was fantastic.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Nordling on Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:15 pm

That trailer was BOSS.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:18 pm

To quote the Dino: "Holy Crappa"
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Nordling on Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:28 pm

so sorry wrote:I'm with you Veg, I will not go into these movies (if I go) expecting anything that Nordling would consider worthy of a film critique, more just a film experience!

Are you kidding? I can't wait to see this movie.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:22 pm

I most definitely am looking forward to these films, I have no doubt that I am going to enjoy myself and watch them over and over.

But that teaser sucks, only a tiny bit of new material, almost all for Death Proof which at the moment doesn't look even nearly as Badass as Planet Terror does.

Also they can put as many scratches and burns into the movie as they like but it still looks like it's been shot on HD or new film stock.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:23 pm

John-Locke wrote:I most definitely am looking forward to these films, I have no doubt that I am going to enjoy myself and watch them over and over.

But that teaser sucks, only a tiny bit of new material, almost all for Death Proof which at the moment doesn't look even nearly as Badass as Planet Terror does.

Also they can put as many scratches and burns into the movie as they like but it still looks like it's been shot on HD or new film stock.

Major Ditto.

That is all.

I love JL.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:34 am

Re: the trailer

What's up with throwing up the definition of the movie title? Didn't QT do this at the beginning of Pulp?

Also, I didn't like that they recycled the poloraid flash sfx from the Texas Chainsaw remake trailer. Aside from that, I loved it.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:37 am

Has it been established as to whether this is going to be one massive film or two shown seperately... That's judging that both the films are feature length...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:48 am

Man, the soundtrack to this is gonna be BADASSSS.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:53 am

thebostonlocksmith wrote:Has it been established as to whether this is going to be one massive film or two shown seperately... That's judging that both the films are feature length...

I am all for watching a 4 hour movie at the theater esp if they have an old school intermission, but I don't think it will happen...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:56 am

I like the idea of it too. But if we're getting two two hour films then i guess they'll have to charge double the admission, which i could probably stand for... it would be nice to see it happen...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:58 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
thebostonlocksmith wrote:Has it been established as to whether this is going to be one massive film or two shown seperately... That's judging that both the films are feature length...

I am all for watching a 4 hour movie at the theater esp if they have an old school intermission, but I don't think it will happen...

will be more like two 90 minute movies, i'm guessing.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:58 am

I'm worried there'll be an intermission, but that there'll be cool stuff going on on the screen throughout it that I won't want to miss. I can imagine sort of an INTERMISSION card not unlike the FEATURE PRESENTATION card at the beginning of KILL BILL, with a track of sweet-ass music playing along. If that's all that's cool--I can catch up on all the tunes over the at least two times I experience GRINDHOUSE. But if there's little cutscenes it'll be a bitch getting up to take a leak.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby John-Locke on Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:59 am

According to someone in the TB's it's going to be split into two seperate films in Europe, I have no idea why they'd do that but according to the TB we get Planet Terror in April and Death Proof in October.

If it's true this is TEH SUXORS!!!!!111
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:05 am

That totally defeats the fucking purpose. That better not be true.

Does anyone know if they're still gonna have DEATH PROOF first in California, PLANET TERROR first in Texas, and let the projectionists at the theatres everywhere else cut it together however they want, as was reported some months ago?

I kind of doubt they'll still do this, because DEATH PROOF is supposedly Tarantino's Austin movie, really showcasing the city, so it would be a really wonky homage if they kept with the original scheme. It'll either be let the projectionists cut it together EVERYWHERE, or a standard format across the board. That's my guess.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:07 am

I just looked on the main site and there's an advertisement for grindhouse it says on it...

"Rodrigez and Tarantino back to back"

So you never know, oh, and i definately spelt his name wrong...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:08 am

And "spelled" for that matter. ;)

I hope it's PLANET TERROR first and DEATH PROOF second across the board, because QT's movies have always been way more boneriffic IMO, and would make for a more exciting climax to the experience. PT looks pretty sweet too though, don't get me wrong.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:13 am

I've just said i'm rubbish, and now you pile on the misery...

I have a valid excuse though... My spelting isn't very good...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:16 am

Hey, man. I winked. 'Twas all in good fun. Not to mention eleven different varieties of holiday cheer. ;) ;) ;)
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:17 am

:roll:

I get it... from now on i will write nothing and just use emoticons to let everyone know what i'm thinking....

(I know you was only mucking around... :D )
Last edited by thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:18 am

I am hearing so much geeky "crack smoking" it's become annoying.
If these two Grindhouse films follow their "roots", they'll likely be about 75 minutes a piece.
You know, like most low budget, explotation films from teh EXPLOTATION PERIOD.

However, if you want to fret, I will then wager that GRINDHOUSE will be five and a half hours long and force you to switch theatres three times, just to annoy your pathetic senses.
You goddamn pansies :roll:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:18 am

thebostonlocksmith wrote::roll:

I get it... from now on i will write nothing and just use emoticons to let everyone know what i'm thinking....

(I know you was only mucking around... :D )

MAN IN SUIT!!!11!!!1A!A\ONE
Last edited by RaulMonkey on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:20 am

Oh, that's good, and i am actually wearing a suit, how did it know that???
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:21 am

Vegeta wrote:I am hearing so much geeky "crack smoking" it's become annoying.
If these two Grindhouse films follow their "roots", they'll likely be about 75 minutes a piece.
You know, like most low budget, explotation films from teh EXPLOTATION PERIOD.

However, if you want to fret, I will then wager that GRINDHOUSE will be five and a half hours long and force you to switch theatres three times, just to annoy your pathetic senses.
You goddamn pansies :roll:

Hey, man. My only complaint's been that it'll be too fucking cool to want to leave, even during what'll probably be a relatively stationary INTERMISSION period.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Vegeta on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:27 am

No prob, I am just saying that Grindhouse will definetly clock in just under three hours...
otherwise it becomes a little unmarketable :roll:(see full length version of KILL BILL)
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:31 am

Mayhap... Time will tell...
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Peven on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:37 am

Veg is right on the money. just like the way New Line made PJ contractually obligated to deliver the LOTR movies under 3 hours for the theatrical cuts. it was only after the tremendous success of the first two, raking in over $1.5 billion, that they allowed him to bring ROTK to the big screen at over 3 hours.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:58 am

Waiting for April 6 is like waiting for Christmas all over again. FUCK! Gimmegimmegimme! Now! *jumping up and down*
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:21 am

At the con both QT & RR said it will be two back to back feature lenght films. How ironic, last time with Kill Bill, it was one movie for the price of two and now it's vice versa.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Finally saw the trailer to see what all this is about.

Sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence....... fad to black.

Forfuxake, is this the only thing that these directors can do, or WANT to do?!?!?!?

Fucking Hell you two, get a life will ya? So it's settled then? This is the category that we will put you under? Seeing as you seem so intent in pigeonholing yourself into it.

Friday Night drunken lads, films. That's all you seem to be good for. FUCKING SHIT!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:27 pm

NOTE: Zoner Men who bitch about this AT ALL deserve a huge smack with a big dildo. You guys have NO BALLS!! What are you gonna do? Stand outside the fucking theater with picket signs and protest because two exploitation films have too much sex and violence in them?

Shut your freaking soggy pieholes and go watch Yentyl then ya goddamn mooks! :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:32 pm

I will be queueing up to watch this when it comes out... All those who don't think it's apt to have sex and violence in movies can go and watch the santa clause three...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:40 pm

What and you don't think it's questionable that these 2 only go out churning out the same kinda material all the time again and again? Ain't it about time in their careers that they tried something different instead of just rehashing the same old shit again ang again? Don't tell me that this is OK. I'm sure you'd get pissed off if your same director just repeated his genre over and over again.

EDIT. I just re-read your post Winslow. You see, it ain't the matter of a film having too much sex or violence in them that is the issue here. That's a different problem, one that I sometimes am bothered about, but I'm not disputing that here. It's how they keep repeating themseles. They COULD be making Yentyl for all I care, but if they kept on making films LIKE Yentyl all the time, then I would still be pissed off as much as I am here. All this time these 2 directors which I am fully well am sure can do other stuff, just keep going over the same old ground. It's the same old genre all the time. Why am I so bored when I see the trailer for Grindhouse? It's like, 'oh here we all go again'. It's like they're just wanking off all the time. Bombarding the audience with the same suff that they do over and over again. These 2 should have grown up by now. Oh and don't go out there calling me a gentleman, people, and trying to say that they ARE being different with each film with using different styles or whatever. It all boils down to this, all their films are about OTT violence, sex, crime, blood and swearing, characters from the underground of crime, living in the sewers or this world. Every fucking time!!! Come on, even their fans are sick of it, if they aren't then they can't be people who take these directors that seriously.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:46 pm

If it's what they enjoy doing then why stop. If you can make films that you are passionate that you can make work why just change things to work on films that you probably don't want to????

Spy Kids was too sexualised though, i'll concede that point...

I do like the idea of a Tarantino Rom Com... Notting Kill or something...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:02 pm

thebostonlocksmith wrote:If it's what they enjoy doing then why stop. If you can make films that you are passionate that you can make work why just change things to work on films that you probably don't want to????

1. 'Cos it's fucking boring to the fans.

2. It's boring or unimaginitve to the film makers to keep on doing.

3. It's not REALLY that challenging to themselves.

4. It's not challenging to the fans.

5. It gets people like me complaining and going off of them.

6. It's repeating a formula.

7. They could be getting on with doing better shit and make something more rewarding.

8. They are capable of better. Or are they? Don't matter. It's still repeating.

9. It's obnoxious to keep showing the same old shit.

10. Their films are gonna make less and less money the more they do it.

11. It'll be harder for them to break into different genres if they keep stereotyping and pigeonholing themselves into the same old category.

12. Eventually they'll lose fans who are bored.

13. They're behaving like wankers. 'Oooh let's make as many films as we can where there's loads of sex and violence'.

14. It also ain't a good repuation to make for yourselves, specialising in such a hollow and quite nasty a subject.

15. Doing so can fuck yourself up.

16. It's hard to be respected as the really serious film maker that you are.

17. It shows that you are incapable of doing anything else. Wether it's true or not.

18. You're not showing much creativity or courage in your film making by not trying to branch out.

19. It's immature.

20. You'll end up with a career that you'll look back on one day and not be that proud of.

21. These films are too superficial. To repeat such films just makes things worse.

That's just some of the reasons why. I'm gonna leave it for now, as I gotta try to fix my lights and do one for DJJ's charity in the EFBR.

I'm sure you'd be pissed off, Bostonlocksmith, if you're favourite director, actor, writer, or any that you respect kept on churning out the same ol' crap, so don't gimme all that crap about 'leave them alone if it's what they enjoy'. Terrorists keep bombing people all the time and causing them harm, 'cos it's what they enjoy doing. You gonna justify that with the 'if it's what they want' excuse? Course not.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:05 pm

If it weren't me watching repeats of Carla Gugino in their films, (especially today on DJJ's charity in the EFBR) THEY'D BE OUT OF A JOB BY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Mij on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:08 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
thebostonlocksmith wrote:If it's what they enjoy doing then why stop. If you can make films that you are passionate that you can make work why just change things to work on films that you probably don't want to????

1. 'Cos it's fucking boring to the fans.

2. It's boring or unimaginitve to the film makers to keep on doing.

3. It's not REALLY that challenging to themselves.

4. It's not challenging to the fans.

5. It gets people like me complaining and going off of them.

6. It's repeating a formula.

7. They could be getting on with doing better shit and make something more rewarding.

8. They are capable of better. Or are they? Don't matter. It's still repeating.

9. It's obnoxious to keep showing the same old shit.

10. Their films are gonna make less and less money the more they do it.

11. It'll be harder for them to break into different genres if they keep stereotyping and pigeonholing themselves into the same old category.

12. Eventually they'll lose fans who are bored.

13. They're behaving like wankers. 'Oooh let's make as many films as we can where there's loads of sex and violence'.

14. It also ain't a good repuation to make for yourselves, specialising in such a hollow and quite nasty a subject.

15. Doing so can fuck yourself up.

16. It's hard to be respected as the really serious film maker that you are.

17. It shows that you are incapable of doing anything else. Wether it's true or not.

18. You're not showing much creativity or courage in your film making by not trying to branch out.

19. It's immature.

20. You'll end up with a career that you'll look back on one day and not be that proud of.

21. These films are too superficial. To repeat such films just makes things worse.

That's just some of the reasons why. I'm gonna leave it for now, as I gotta try to fix my lights and do one for DJJ's charity in the EFBR.

I'm sure you'd be pissed off, Bostonlocksmith, if you're favourite director, actor, writer, or any that you respect kept on churning out the same ol' crap, so don't gimme all that crap about 'leave them alone if it's what they enjoy'. Terrorists keep bombing people all the time and causing them harm, 'cos it's what they enjoy doing. You gonna justify that with the 'if it's what they want' excuse? Course not.

WUDWAUDWAD!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Mij on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mij
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion