GRINDHOUSE

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate Grindhouse?

35%
8%
12%
17%
2%
5%
4%
1%
2%
No votes
No votes
I'm waiting for DVD / TV
8%
I like my splatter films with a little more Christ in them / Won't be seeing this
6%

Total votes : 84

Postby Mij on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:11 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:If it weren't me watching repeats of Carla Gugino in their films, (especially today on DJJ's charity in the EFBR) THEY'D BE OUT OF A JOB BY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

WADWADWAD!!!

Mij
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:27 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Finally saw the trailer to see what all this is about.

Sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence....... fad to black.

Forfuxake, is this the only thing that these directors can do, or WANT to do?!?!?!?

Fucking Hell you two, get a life will ya? So it's settled then? This is the category that we will put you under? Seeing as you seem so intent in pigeonholing yourself into it.

Friday Night drunken lads, films. That's all you seem to be good for. FUCKING SHIT!!!

Are you really mad at them for making the movies that they want to make?
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:31 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Finally saw the trailer to see what all this is about.

Sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence, sex, violence....... fade to black.

Forfuxake, is this the only thing that these directors can do, or WANT to do?!?!?!?

Fucking Hell you two, get a life will ya? So it's settled then? This is the category that we will put you under? Seeing as you seem so intent in pigeonholing yourself into it.

Friday Night drunken lads, films. That's all you seem to be good for. FUCKING SHIT!!!

Holy crap, Kirk is a total pedophile. HE totally gets off to the Spy Kids movies. Tell me Kirk, which spy kid is it?? The 11 year old girl, or the little boy with band aids all over his fingers??
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:02 pm

I think someone needs to chill out... Film makers are like suicide bombers...

It's all well and good to go and rant at people who will never have any interest in answering your 'points' of view, no matter how pathetic or shallow they may be percieved...

Suicide bombers 'enjoy doing it' - Not the first time something ignorant and uninformed has been stated like fact....

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:19. It's immature.

Your spot on...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:31 pm

Since when was ranting against a film maker immature?

Calling someone immature is immature.

Stating that as fact by using one of my quotes, is a bit wrong, and immature too.

I'd advise you, if you're not gonna agree with my POVs, to not take the piss out of them by calling them pathetic or shallow too. - if that's what you meant, or did you mean the people I was ranting against. I dunno.

Don't jump to conclusions too by thinking that I said that film makers are like suicide bombers. Keep things in perspective please. You know perfectly well what I meant, 'People who do what they enjoy, does not make that stuff right!'. That's all. I enjoy wasting my time away perving over the internet to stuff like..NSFW, but feel free to check more of this out ..but that don't make it right either. It also don't mean that I'm calling film makers people who like to dress up in bikinis either, unless they're Lee Tamohori.

Anyway, this is all 'no hate, just debate' so everyone's gonna just have to agree to disagree here. I rant, you lot Image, an Otter applauds, there it is.

Anyway, in regards to suicide bombings being fun...

FOR ALLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ACTUALLY, that WAS fun!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:43 pm

It just seems a bit like you go off the deepend as soon as someone disagrees with you....

and there's no hate meant...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:20 pm

Well normally loads of people disagree with me. Check out the first page of Jedi would kill the X Men thread, and I normally have to fight them all off as they all gang up on me when they couldn't accept the truth that the Jedi would SLAUGHTER the X Men and tried to take it out on me, and I thought it was happening here.

Also I was enjoying our conversation too. Wasn't going off the deep end, I didn't mean to imply that there was hate either, just I love hate by the way. I know there's not hate meant by you, I didn't mean it that way, but I just wish that there was hate sometimes. It turns me on, and makes me fancy you.

Farking cumming round full circle with all the hate and rejection chicks give me, and now actually liking it!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:41 pm

Cap is just trying to start a big argument because he knows that most of us here love QTs stuff and we enjoy seeing him try new genres. Hes gotta take out his penis envy somewhere I guess.

The biggest insult about that is the fact a guy like Cap thinks he knows whats best for others. Ive personally seen 1000s of films, I know what I like to see and I'm a longtime QT and Exploitation film fan. I was a QT fan years before AICN and this board was even started.

....But Cap is going to preach out his ruddy ass and write out a stupid fucking ALF fucking laundry list saying Grindhouse isnt good enough and its boring and too violent and theres too much sex in those naughty movies. Awwwwww.

(Superman Returns, Miami Vice and King Kong sucked donkey cock BTW)

Cap, You can take your nerdy thoughts and zit faced opinions and stick em where the sun don't shine. Get a fucking life you little goony pissant.

I'm going to be at Grindhouse opening day and I'm going to relish every T&A bouncing-gory high speed car crash-gun blazing-blood splatttered moment.

Then I'm going to go see it again 3 more times.
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:59 pm

Fuck You Winslow. Get my farking point and learn to read.

I ain't got a thing about the genre these guys have had a stab at - a few times, but come the Heck on!! These guys are at it hammer and poxy sickle again and again and again, and have done nothing but REPEAT this genre. That's ALL they have done, there's been rare exceptions where they've done anything else. Let's see them have a go at Pantomine for a change!!! Or how a movie about Teddy Bears!!!!???

How the hell have I come on here and tried to pick an argument?!!? Where in the hell does it say that stating your opinion on something means that you're on a wind up to start people arguing? I have every sodding right to get pissed off with watching the trailer, kicking off at it for not liking what I see, and coming here to write what I think about it. If you don't like my opinions and can't debate it with me civilly, state that you understand my opinion but don't go with it, agree to disagree, then put up or shut up!

You'er not the only one who's seen over thousands of films or is a QT fan. I used to be before he bored me with indulging in the same kinda films or genres. But the guy has gotta give his habits up and do something more challenging and different. I won't accept him being stuck in his same repetitive subject in his film making. I stand by what I say, and I mean, don't regret it, and I'm gonna stick to it, say it whenever I feel like it and tough shit if anyone don't like it.

Stating what I stated doesn't make me think that I know what's best for others. It's my opinion on this film. If I do think it's best for others, then good, so what if I do say so. I'm sure you do it too as well as others, it's what we've always done here. Don't like it? Go fuck yourself. Tough shit.

My laundy list don't say that I think Grindhouse is rubbish you bloody idiot! Learn to read and understand my posts and you'll be worth to debate with. I haven't even seen the film yet, I was talking about the 2 director's careers and what I saw of the trailer!! I said that they do this kinda subject too much. That's all. HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO KEEP REPEATING MYSELF TO YOU LOT THAT THIS IS ALL THAT I MEANT?!!? I never said anything about too much sex or violence in movies - by the way there is, but that's a different subject matter. If you don't like what I got to say about that and wanna slag me off the way you have, then FUCK YOU! Eat it! I'll give you even more of that shit, not 'cos it's my opinion and this place let's me say whatever the fuck I want, but because it pisses you off! I'll take my thoughts and opinions and stick 'em where the sun don't shine mate. Up your fucking ass. Get a life, i'll dedicate it to coming here and saying even more. Fuck it, I get paid for it!

You wanna start some fucking shit with me, rather than do a nice debate, come and get me with a PM. I'm waiting for ya.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:10 pm

Shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut the fuuuuuck uppppppppppp you fucking whiny gentleman.

You're just talking shit to talk shit and everyone knows it. Everything was cool until you started in with your ALF know it all shit.

Fuck You very much.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:22 pm

What the hell is this childish TB crap you're cumming out with Winslowleach?!?! How long have you been in this place? HAHAHAHAAA!!!!! You surely must know better than this man!!! You know how many AICN PZ violations you've just broken, not to mention what a complete prat you've made of yourself? Don't come here telling me to shut fuck up or using 4 lettered words at me mate, I'll fuck you up, Fuckcunt! I already told you to take this shit to my by PM, don't come to this place talking like a Struggling Background Artist. You're just making it worse for yourself. You might as well sod off from this place and go to the TB mate. I'll talk this shit with you if you want, but not here.

I don't give a fuck if everyone thinks I'm talking shit, or if I've upset the thread with me stating what I think, and it's no longer wine and roses. Go put the fuck up with it. Everyone says what they want. I'll say what I bloody well want. NO ONE IS GONNA STOP ME!! NO ONE IS GONNA STOP ME!!!!!!! Try to, and I'll increase it even more! Don't like what I say? Go fuck yourself! Gonna use verbal garbage at me 'cos you don't like it? Go fuck yourself! I'll talk that shit worse than you, fuckface. Go fuck yourself!

You're being a fucking idiot. Fuck off!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:26 pm

so, uh, how about that chick with a gun for leg, eh? i mean, wow, thats not something you see every day.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:30 pm

I went out with a girl with the Irish name of Tamshir (meaning apple of your eye) and a guy i worked with at the time said...

"That's not a name you hear every day..."

and she said

"Actually, it er, is..."
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:36 pm

badda bing!

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:38 pm

I wonder if Rose McGovern would let me 'cock' her gun.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Vegeta on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:41 pm

Oh Boy, Kirk is doing his devil's advocate again... :roll:

Kind of like his "Snakes on a Plane" bit... :roll:

Although the Rotten Tomatoes invasion was stellar :P
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:49 pm

Oh God! Kirk cries wolf yet again. Why can't people know when I'm being serious? Oh forfuxake!

By the way, the Rotten Tomatoes invasion is still going on.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:59 pm

you know, how many of us have heard, from various sources, be it stories, movies, etc., the sage bit of advice, "find out what you do well in this world and stick with it. thats the path to happiness." or at least something to that effect. anyway, that is why i don't complain about QT and Rodriguez making the movies they do. they have found what they do well, and they are sticking with it. i don't want to see a QT directed Rom-Com, for instance.

you know, people are already taking shots at Wes Anderson for not being diverse enough in the style of his movies. but why should he? he does what he does so well why do something different for the sake of doing something different? why should QT or Rodriguez, or Anderson for that matter, do something that they don't feel a passion for just to please people who have some notion that a director needs to make all kinds of films to be "legit"? film is art. and art is emotion. a director needs to FEEL for his/her material in order to produce the best film possible. at least, imo.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:53 pm

Cap: If you're doing this tongue in cheek, then okay I can forgive that, but please dont rag on QT and RR for making the kinds of films they want to make. I mean thats fuckling pointless and it just infuriates me. Theres PLENTY of other wonderful cinema out there for you to watch and examine, let QT and RR do their thing without the lambasting and prejudice. If you're too mature for GRINDHOUSE then just go on your way and see something more serious.

I know I'm going to be having a great old time at the QT/RR exploitation double feature next April. Thats for DAMN sure.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:56 pm

That's true Peven, but come on, It's Quentin Taratino. It's so easy to hate him. All he does is rip off 70's cult and cast hot chicks that he probably bangs every night and snorts lines off their cleavage. Even if there aren't any good reasons to hate him, you might as well just make a bunch up, his life is so enviable.

I don't know why anyone would hate Robert Rodriguez though. That's just wrong.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:05 pm

QT and RR are selling themselves short though, Winslow and everyone. They should have moved on by now. They're capable of more, or at least the world are waiting for them to prove this to them. But they just cover the same old genre still. THAT'S my point and THAT'S why it infuriates and angers me! My posts and feelings ARE genuine and honest, ask Lugz.

They should have moved on and grown up by now. They're like some late 20s age old chick who refuses, REFUSES!!! - to suck Dik after all these years.

Farking vegetarians!!!
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:07 pm

if there is anything i would hate QT for, its the fact that he talks shit about "The Goonies". :wink: :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:09 pm

Oh God, Goonies!! Now I KNOW everyone's just on a wind up.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:15 pm

Its all about the movies for me. I love the fact QT can just make the kinds of movies he wants. They arent for everyone, but they are definitely for me. I dont care what he rips off because thats simply part of making art. Hes also a post modern director, so commenting and paying tribute to older films and pop culture is what he's done from the very beginning. I happen to love that aspect of his films and in other films too.

Anyone who directs and says they dont rip off things is either lying or just too stupid to not make use of what they love. That whole argument is shit, SHIT I SAY!!! You dont think Scorsese or Spielberg steal? You're ALF if you don't.

I dont give a damn if QT snorts coke, smokes weed, drops acid and fucks Cambodian hookers every night. More power to him. As long as he keeps making that special kind of cinema I love, its alllll good. I'm really not that interested in artists' personal lives, I just care about the art they make.

Cap: Noone in here has a right to tell any director whether its Tarantino, Rodriguez, Tim Burton, Sam Raimi, Kevin Smith, Steven Spielberg, David Fincher, Wes Anderson, etc etc what to make, when to make it. This whole thing about immaturity is complete bullshit. Tell Sam Raimi not to make Spider Man 3 cuz its a comic book film.

I think the problem here is you think QT is some kind of serious, high art snob type director (which he definitely is not). Hes always been a pop genre film director and he has never claimed to be anything other than that. You need to stop expecting him to make anything other than the kind of cinema he loves which is largely Exploitation. I think QT has realized that most arthouse films ARENT the shit, they are stuffy and pretentious and dull. Hes cutting through all that snotty gourmet cinema BS and just making great pop art cinema in the tradition of Melville, Leone, Howard Hawks, DiLeo, DePalma, Scorsese and other heroes of his.

....And Inglorious Bastards isnt going to be some fucking Full Metal Jacket-Saving Private Ryan type thing. Its going to be a spaghetti western meets WW2 Men on a Mission adventure film. THANK GOD!!!
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:25 pm

Winslow's like the guy who would always take the funny bone first when playing operation. You can't use my scarcastic comments as a basis to fend off the Tarantino hate. Everybody should just realise that if Tarantino made anything that wasn't a retro 70's cult movie, it would suck balls. Huge balls.

Not Rodrigues though. He'll prove Tarantino wrong and do a remake of the Goonies that will surpass the Speilberg version in critical and box office acclaim
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:55 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:He'll prove Tarantino wrong and do a remake of the Goonies that will surpass the Speilberg version in critical and box office acclaim

Really?

I guess we'll have to see what to make of Inglorious bastards, if of course it ever gets made...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:49 am

Well I'm not specifically telling these Directors what films to make and when to make them. That's pigeonholing too much. But as a cinemagoer and the guy taht pays for the tickets to their films taht keep their careers going, i think I defintely have the right to generally EXPECT more from them and their creativity other than what I get from them so far, which is boring me. I DEFINITELY have the right to tell them not to BORE me too. So I'm perfectly in my rights about this.

What I AM REALLY saying here though, is that these guys ARE capable of better, more ambitious and less superficial films than what they've done so far. They have potential to dazzle our socks off even more and devestate us with what other films they can make, but they seem to be stuck in this crimewave arena all the time when they should be making more challengign stuff. I'm not saying that they should be high art, snobby films that they should make either. I also think they are much much more than just Exploitation cinema makers too.

I think it's a bit arsey to call Art House cinema stuffy, pretentious and dull though. That ain't right. Sure, some of it can be a piss take by genuinely being this, but not all art movies are like this. A lot are incredibly illiminating and can take you on brilliant emotional journeys. The fact is, is that QT wouldn't agree that these are snotty gourmet, or pretentious blah blah either as he comes across as high consumer of such films and is endlessly passionate about them. I remember him talking on a documentary about Pulp Fiction regarding how the inspiration for the Travolta/Thurman dance came from a small black and white French arty movie about young students doing a silly dance in a classroom or something. That's just an example.

I dunno, sometimes I think that I have a higher regard for these directors than you Winslow, when I say that they should be transcending what they've done so far and make more rewarding and stretching films, whilst you seem to just accept or maybe label QT or RR as 'Exploitation' Directors, when I belive that they could be so much more than that. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's getting bored with them doing stuff that looks the same as what they've done before.

I tell you how I would sum them up right now. It's like when even the biggest Steven Spielberg fans, were getting sick of him making the same old unadult and schmaltzy films up towards Always and Jurassic Park (but even then, Spielberg was generally doing more versatile films) and many were growing tired of his unrevelationary style, before Schindler's List.

Now don't pick this apart and say 'Oh Steve Spielberg did so many more films than RR and QT at that time' 'cos what I AM saying, is that RR/QT are at the point right now similar to where SS was circa Schindler's. I believe they're ready to move on. They should have moved on NOW, imo, to make more affective films, they have convinced me that they are ready a long time ago.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:55 am

I know what you're saying and i do enjoy these guys work and i'll watch it should it be on a par with what they've done before...

But look at Guy Ritchie, he sticks with the same genre and still manages to balls it up even though it's within his comfort zone of films...

I would like to see Tarantino diversify especially, i think it would be interesting to see him do Horror, and maybe a ballsy sci-fi type deal...

Thing is, i don't think we'll see it...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:46 am

Kirks is so full of shit sometimes it's hilarious.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:05 am

Cap: If Tarantino and Rodriguez want to make smaller fun little exploitation films in between their bigger projects thats up to them. I love those kinds of films, so I'm excited about it. I've never seen a QT slasher film, so I'm stoked about where he takes that genre. Yes, thats right, this isnt a fucking sequel, its a first time thing for him.

I'm not labeling QT strictly an Exploitation director, I'm just telling you as a FACT, those are the kinds of films he honestly enjoys and likes to watch and get inspiration from. I'm sure he watches all kinds of movies, but hes a certain kind of director. He works in genre and the themes of his films are the lives of outsiders and criminals. He doesnt make shit like Yentyl.

Personally, I like films with a pulse. Ive seen all kinds of movies and I like all kinds. But I'd much rather see a fun, exciting film, than a boring art film, especially from a guy like QT who is a walking movie/pop culture encyclopedia. He is primarily an entertainment director and thats what I want from him: entertainment. Not boring, stuffy message films.

To look down your nose and say "These guys are better than that or this" doesnt mean shit. You havent even SEEN these films yet, but already you act as if they aren't worth anything. I say you're full of shit for even thinking that.

Maybe the films they're making arent for you. So wait until something else comes out you may like. Stop talking out yer ass dismissing everything thats not up to your standards like you're better than the films they make, you're definitely not. You're a fucking AICN board bug that likes to type FAUDFAUDFAUD or whatever that ALF bullshit is. You have no say in anything Tarantino and Rodriguez do. Just accept this and close up your ass talk shop.

Thank You.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:49 am

Just to change the mood from bitchfest to celebrattion, heres some very exciting news about Grindhouse:

"To add to the saturation of GRINDHOUSE info the internet has been been subjected too in the last 24 hours, the boys over at Fangoria have just released a nice tidbit of news about the trailers that will be taking place in-between the films. It was already announced that Eli Roth would be directing one, a slasher called THANKSGIVING, but now in addition to that, apparently Rob Zombie will be gracing us with one as well. Zombie's trailer will be called WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE S.S., and will be featuring none other than Nicholas Cage as a character called Fu Manchu! How awesome is that?!I am absolutely loving everything about this film already. It seems like everyone wants to get
onboard with this project and it's really sounding like were all in for some great ass-kicking fun. And not only do the films sound good, but the faux trailers are sounding great as well. I've also become convinced that at least one of these trailers is going to try to be picked up by some company and turned into a full length film." - JoBlo

I dont know about anyone else but I'm fucking giddy from this news. I just cannot wait for this.

Rob Zombie's Werewolf Women of The SS sounds like the pinnacle of insane exploitation trailer craziness!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

April just cant get here fast enough!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:39 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:Cap: If Tarantino and Rodriguez want to make smaller fun little exploitation films in between their bigger projects thats up to them. I love those kinds of films, so I'm excited about it. I've never seen a QT slasher film, so I'm stoked about where he takes that genre. Yes, thats right, this isnt a fucking sequel, its a first time thing for him.

I'm not labeling QT strictly an Exploitation director, I'm just telling you as a FACT, those are the kinds of films he honestly enjoys and likes to watch and get inspiration from. I'm sure he watches all kinds of movies, but hes a certain kind of director. He works in genre and the themes of his films are the lives of outsiders and criminals. He doesnt make shit like Yentyl.

Personally, I like films with a pulse. Ive seen all kinds of movies and I like all kinds. But I'd much rather see a fun, exciting film, than a boring art film, especially from a guy like QT who is a walking movie/pop culture encyclopedia. He is primarily an entertainment director and thats what I want from him: entertainment. Not boring, stuffy message films.

To look down your nose and say "These guys are better than that or this" doesnt mean shit. You havent even SEEN these films yet, but already you act as if they aren't worth anything. I say you're full of shit for even thinking that.

Maybe the films they're making arent for you. So wait until something else comes out you may like. Stop talking out yer ass dismissing everything thats not up to your standards like you're better than the films they make, you're definitely not. You're a fucking AICN board bug that likes to type FAUDFAUDFAUD or whatever that ALF bullshit is. You have no say in anything Tarantino and Rodriguez do. Just accept this and close up your ass talk shop.

Thank You.

Don't EVER EVER talk to me like that again. Same to you CK (unless you're joking). I'm sending you a PM Winslow.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:50 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
thebostonlocksmith wrote:If it's what they enjoy doing then why stop. If you can make films that you are passionate that you can make work why just change things to work on films that you probably don't want to????

1. 'Cos it's fucking boring to the fans.

2. It's boring or unimaginitve to the film makers to keep on doing.

3. It's not REALLY that challenging to themselves.

4. It's not challenging to the fans.

5. It gets people like me complaining and going off of them.

6. It's repeating a formula.

7. They could be getting on with doing better shit and make something more rewarding.

8. They are capable of better. Or are they? Don't matter. It's still repeating.

9. It's obnoxious to keep showing the same old shit.

10. Their films are gonna make less and less money the more they do it.

11. It'll be harder for them to break into different genres if they keep stereotyping and pigeonholing themselves into the same old category.

12. Eventually they'll lose fans who are bored.

13. They're behaving like wankers. 'Oooh let's make as many films as we can where there's loads of sex and violence'.

14. It also ain't a good repuation to make for yourselves, specialising in such a hollow and quite nasty a subject.

15. Doing so can fuck yourself up.

16. It's hard to be respected as the really serious film maker that you are.

17. It shows that you are incapable of doing anything else. Wether it's true or not.

18. You're not showing much creativity or courage in your film making by not trying to branch out.

19. It's immature.

20. You'll end up with a career that you'll look back on one day and not be that proud of.

21. These films are too superficial. To repeat such films just makes things worse.

That's just some of the reasons why. I'm gonna leave it for now, as I gotta try to fix my lights and do one for DJJ's charity in the EFBR.

I'm sure you'd be pissed off, Bostonlocksmith, if you're favourite director, actor, writer, or any that you respect kept on churning out the same ol' crap, so don't gimme all that crap about 'leave them alone if it's what they enjoy'. Terrorists keep bombing people all the time and causing them harm, 'cos it's what they enjoy doing. You gonna justify that with the 'if it's what they want' excuse? Course not.

You selfish gentleman. Would you prefer they make films that they don't enjoy making, thereby making it boring for the fans? Just because you don't likethe way this looks doesn't mean that millions of others don't dig it.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:35 pm

I think that these 2 would enjoy making even more ambitious films rather than sticking to the same thing. I think that these films would be enjoyed by the fans just as much, if not more. I think that these 2 have a lot more greatness ahead of them. I just think that they should have started branching out even before now.

Thank you for calling me a selfish gentleman. I take that as a compliment. it's a selfish world and we should do as others do.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:49 pm

Kirk, "Resevoir Dogs", "Pulp Fiction", "Jackie Brown", and "Kill Bill" are NOT the same fucking thing!!!!! the same as "From Dusk till Dawn" and the "Spy Kids" movies are NOT the same fucking thing! you are just plain WRONG here. give it up, move on.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:56 pm

Branching out as in trying new genres/stories and working with different actors? Well, thats what they're both doing right now. What the hell else do you want? I dont know what you mean.

QT and RR are never going to make serious message movies, so just get that out of your head. Spike Lee, Oliver Stone and Clint Eastwood can do that stuff. I think Jackie Brown is as mature as QT will ever get when it comes to his movies. He's said he doesnt want to make "geriatric movies" he wants to make films filled with "piss and vinegar" right to the end. In other words, cinema that will entertain you and inspire younger filmmakers.Theres nothing immature about it to me. Its a good sign actually.

Cap, maybe you should forget about those guys and follow some other directors because they seem to be dissapointing you too much.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:14 pm

Yeah yeah yeah, Pev, the films are a BIT different in LITTLE ways. They're still doing the same crime Exploitation genre still. You can't call someone WRONG on their opinions like that Peven, there's no right or wrong when it comes to things like that. Look me and Winslow have exchanged PMs and all is well. I've said what I wanted to say, and so have everyone else on this subject, so we're gonna call it quits here.

I actually like what these guys have done, a helluva lot, but I'm waiting for something more different. If you guys don't know what I mean when I say that they should branch out, then what's new? It's Kirkspeak, no one understands what I mean, we'll leave it. All I'm trying to say is that these guys could be doing other genres and still kick ass out of them, I think they have the talent to do so, but in their own unique style. I'll continue to follow their work, I look forward to them blowing me away with something real astonishing that I'm sure they're capable of, but this revelationary work hasn't come across yet.

To tell the truth I have high hopes for Inglorious Bastards. This might very well be the film that might do this. A part of me is frustrated that it hasn't been made yet, as they've been talking about this for years. I'm just relieved that it's still on the cards. I think that a war movie told in QT's style but done with an altered style and twist would be truly incredible.

As for my points and opinions, I don't espect you to agree with me, that's fine, but what I won't stand for are loads of flaming wank words and disrespect to my opinions thrown at me. That I can't and won't tolerate, just like no one else would. There's been too much hate on this page and the PZ motto has got lost.

Anyway that's it for now. All is cool.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:18 pm

Kirk, do you criticize Bergman because he didn't "branch out" and do a western? or a comedy? or a detective movie? or a horror/monster movie? was he just playing it safe? i think what is obvious here is that you have a severe elitist streak in your definition of what makes a film worthy.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:22 pm

But what does Kirk think of the Spy Kids?
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:26 pm

Peven wrote:Kirk, do you criticize Bergman because he didn't "branch out" and do a western? or a comedy? or a detective movie? or a horror/monster movie?

I do actually.

Peven wrote:i think what is obvious here is that you have a severe elitist streak in your definition of what makes a film worthy.

No, not really, I just think that people shouldn't suppress themselves from reaching the true heights that they are capable of - even you.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:29 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:But what does Kirk think of the Spy Kids?

OK, OK I admit. I did get a bit hot under the collar and wonder what the hell was wrong with me when I saw the end of Spy Kids 2 and that chick as on stage performing that crappy Britney Spears wannabe song.

I for one was ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGED that I didn't get to see as much of Carla Gugino's hot body as much as I did in the first Spy Kids movie.

Would you like to know more?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:30 pm

Its funny, I was watching an interview with Edward Norton last night, he was on Charlie Rose and he stated that he thinks the BEST directors are the ones who have a common thread running throughout their work.

Tarantino's common thread is examining the personalities of outsiders and criminals in society. Thats the cinematic world he has chosen to work in.

Another thing that noone has mentioned is the fact QT puts so many different things into all his films, so they are never just ONE thing or genre. They are made up of all kinds of pieces of different genres, his personal thoughts on life and people, international pop culture, film and music. There really is much more to his films than just mere "crime-exploitation" stories.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:31 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:But what does Kirk think of the Spy Kids?

OK, OK I admit. I did get a bit hot under the collar and wonder what the hell was wrong with me when I saw the end of Spy Kids 2 and that chick as on stage performing that crappy Britney Spears wannabe song.

I for one was ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGED that I didn't get to see as much of Carla Gugino's hot body as much as I did in the first Spy Kids movie.

Would you like to know more?

yes sir. You haven't even touched on Spy Kids 3D
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:34 pm

Ain't seen it Spy 3 yet. What's Carla Gugino like in that? Are the kids legal yet? Also mulitple Syl Stallones for the price of one must mean multiple transactions into the W*nkBank too.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:40 pm

i once worked for a guy who had been an actor, educated in the field at the Carnegie-Melon school of acting, and he would tell me that actors are not artists, they are craftsman, like a carpenter, and that it is the director who is the artist making the film. well, are artists in other fields beside filmmaking judged by whether or not they "branch out"? are great composers judged because they only worked within one genre of music? Monet was an impressionist, he had his style, and worked within that style, QT has HIS style, and works within it, and isn't less of a director, an artist, because of it. does that lay things out clearly enough for you, Kirk?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:42 pm

Peven: I think its definitely about working within your own style. But you can still try new genres, I think all the best directors can jump from genre to genre and bring their own personality to them. Look at Spike Lee he can go from Inside Man (excellent heist film) to When The Levees Broke. Thats awesome.

Sam Raimi went from stuff like Evil Dead to A Simple Plan to Spider Man.

Tim Burton went from a film like Pee Wee to Batman to Ed Wood.

Tim Burton in particular is another genre director like Tarantino who is interested in outsiders and the fantastic. So why do people accept the kinds of films Tim makes but when QT makes something he loves, he gets BS for it?
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:43 pm

Peven wrote:i once worked for a guy who had been an actor, educated in the field at the Carnegie-Melon school of acting, and he would tell me that actors are not artists, they are craftsman, like a carpenter, and that it is the director who is the artist making the film. well, are artists in other fields beside filmmaking judged by whether or not they "branch out"? are great composers judged because they only worked within one genre of music? Monet was an impressionist, he had his style, and worked within that style, QT has HIS style, and works within it, and isn't less of a director, an artist, because of it. does that lay things out clearly enough for you, Kirk?

No.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:47 pm

Spy Kids 3D is pretty saturated with characters, so Carla isn't around as much as the previous, but Selma Hayek is in it as the Anti Spy Kids mom. If there's another Spy Kids then we're looking at legal Spy Kids.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:47 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:Spy Kids is something I dont care about. Now THAT kind of stuff I find immature. Noone in this forum should be watching Spy Kids AT ALL.

Elitist

I have 7 nephews and nieces and Spy Kids is the only thing we can all agree on.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:56 pm

Kirk, don't say i never gave you the opportunity to "branch out" and try doing work here on the board outside your safe, been-there-done-that persona. you have the potential to do more, to be more, but you choose not to. instead, we get the same old Kirk persona.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion