GRINDHOUSE

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate Grindhouse?

35%
8%
12%
17%
2%
5%
4%
1%
2%
No votes
No votes
I'm waiting for DVD / TV
8%
I like my splatter films with a little more Christ in them / Won't be seeing this
6%

Total votes : 84

Postby Cottonwood on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:18 am

Chief Redcock wrote:Hopefully this will be a step up from the Kill Bill series. QT still has the magic in him (CSI finale), so here's hoping he gives it to us. I have more faith in Rodriguez's installment though, after the superb Sin City.

I found the CSI finale a bit weird, given that in an earlier episode they had a thingie machine that could detect body heat underground (somebody was burried alive as well) and it wasn't used here...

Sorry, not thread-material. On topic: me-thinks Grindhouse (better title) will be tremendous fun; both guys are at best when they're going apeshit crazy with the best fitting material and this should be just that. But then again, I like KILL BILL and FROM DUSK TILL DAWN very much, thank you.

And it should be Hayek in Sin City 2.
Cottonwood
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:54 am

You cant really compare QT and RR, they both have their own styles. Although if we compared them to older directors, Id say QT is more like a DePalma-Leone type and RR is more of a Lucas-Woo type. I know thats being very general, but thats sorta how I look at them personally.

Chief Redrock: As far as Grindhouse being a step UP from Kill Bill, that makes no sense to me. How can a 60 minute exploitation-slasher film by QT be a step UP from a 3+ hour revenge epic? If you mean you want him to get better with each film, then Id agree with that. Every director should learn on each film and hone their craft. The CSI finale was cool too, but I dont think its better than Kill Bill.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:24 am

I just read the premise of Death Proof. I told myself after reading the Kill Bill script Id never read anymore QT scripts before the films came out, but when I see it on the front page of AICN, I cant help it!

I think the idea is INSANELY COOL!!

First, I would like to say to people who think its "dumb" and "silly" is: at least QT is trying new things with his films and not making Pulp Fiction over and over again. Secondly, its a fuckin 75 minute Exploitation film, not Citizen Kane. As long as QT delivers the goods and entertains the audiences for that time, its all good. You KNOW hes not going to follow that first copy of the script to the detail, hes going to throw some crazy QT shit in there that we dont even know about yet. I'm PSYCHED for this project!!! Mickey Rourke as a suped up-muscle car driving psycho killer?! THAT IS AWESOME STUFF!!!

This thing is going to be a blast and everyone should know it.

By the way, has anyone confirmed that its a genuine script review?
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby raasnio on Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:05 pm

I don't think there's a single Tarantino or Rodriguez film that I like. I've seen quite a few of them, but I think they're just not my thing. I'll spare the details of what I don't like about them, but I will say this:

I'll see Grindhouse. It seems like just the kind of project that might just work for me.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby freak2thec0re on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:59 pm

Winslow Leach, when you write a whole paragraph defending the movie before anyone's even said anything, it does make you come off as a bit biased . . .

Personally I think the premise sounds incredibly lame. Incredibly lame. If someone here posted up their "idea for a movie" with that premise, I think they woulda been laughed at. That being said, I have great faith in Tarantino, and since he really has never dissapointed me, I am excited to see how it turns out
"Serves you right, Cartman, you're a sell-out!"
"I'M NOT A SELL-OUT! Wait- What's a sell-out?"
"Anyone in the entertainment business who makes money, is a sell-out"
freak2thec0re
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:19 pm

Thats because I knew that certain people would start off by saying how they think the idea is "incredibly lame".

When youre working in certain genres theres only so many stories you can do. I think the basic idea of Death Proof is very cool (its an Exploitation film) and I think QT will create something really fun from that idea.

QT could do the same movies over and over again and not try different genres, but he keeps changing and he tries new ideas, another thing I think is great to see.

QT can write kickass dialogue whenever he wants but I think what hes been trying to do is expand his visual storytelling instead of just focusing on pulpy conversations. I mean, if youre making a film about a guy killing people with a car, how much does pop culture dialogue really matter? I dont think QT wants to be known solely for those kinds of Pulp Fiction conversation sequences. He wants to be able to do it when its right for the piece.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:14 pm

Death Proof smacks of the likes of Deathrace 2000 which sounds good to me.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby freak2thec0re on Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:18 pm

i mean . . . . doing new things is what you're supposed to do. I don't think I can really commend Tarantino for doing something new.

I'm still sticking with my original point, that this seems like one of those things where nobody calls it genius till they see the name attached to it.
"Serves you right, Cartman, you're a sell-out!"
"I'M NOT A SELL-OUT! Wait- What's a sell-out?"
"Anyone in the entertainment business who makes money, is a sell-out"
freak2thec0re
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:15 am

Ok, its working again. Thanks Johnny On The Locke!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:20 am

Gaffers fixed the thread Winslow, his skills are far greater than mine, don't you know he is a God? Kneel before Zod.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:22 am

So Gaffney really is God???? It was suggested in the Wonder Woman thread...when we were jumping all over the place...but now its confirmed I guess.

Well Gaffney I am your loyal servant...and thanks for allowing us the chance to see such a great movie like Grindhouse!!!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:25 am

Thanks Gaffer!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:30 am

Not a problem, Winslow...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby brendonconnelly on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:40 pm

All I have to say about this one: BRING IT ON
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:28 pm

Wish I could say this film excited me, but something about it feels too...I dunno, self-indulgent. Don't get me wrong, I'll see it, cuz I'm probably wrong. But I'd rather see something new in this genre than what might basically just be an homage film. Thank goodness, Snakes on a Plane looks like it might be going that way.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby The Vicar on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:10 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
WinslowLeach wrote:

I want to see this movie. I don't care if Rodriguez does it or not, I want to see this.

What he said...I just love that poster.
Got a real sixties vibe...maybe seventies....hell, its all good.
Nice.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby brendonconnelly on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:02 pm

So, hasn't anybody posted about Tom Savini's on set report yet? I don't see any mention.

It was on Savini.com then got pulled...

I put on my blog at: http://tinyurl.com/lwv5r

Weinstein lawyers are possibly pinning we little cloth mes as we speak.

Go, see, discuss, etc;
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby brendonconnelly on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:01 pm

I just saw the sentence "Weinstein lawyers are possibly pinning we little cloth mes as we speak" and it made NO SENSE. And I wrote it.

Shame on me.

It was supposed to be a joke about voodoo dolls and now I am really embarressed. All for the want of an apostrophe, I suppose.
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:02 pm

OMG This film stars one of the GOONIES!

AWESOME.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby brendonconnelly on Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:10 pm

Apparently - APPARENTLY - Rodriguez' hallf fo the film has been shut down.

I hope everything is okay.
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:43 am

brendonconnelly wrote:Apparently - APPARENTLY - Rodriguez' hallf fo the film has been shut down.

I hope everything is okay.

Wednesday, April 5th, 2006
Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez have been in the middle of filming their upcoming movie Grind House in Austin, TX for a few weeks now. The movie is being directed by both Rodriguez and Tarantino. Rumors have been coming in that the production for the film has come to a stop and that some of the crew are not sure why and when they would resume shooting.

According to tarantino.info, the Quentin Tarantino fansite, one source close to the production wrote:

"I have been working on the film and I hate to say that the rumors are true. In fact .... many of the crew members went home already and the word on the set is that Rodriguez has gone over budget. There were days when we had 7 setups to shoot, but we usually would only get to shoot half of what was slated for the day."

Rodriguez has always come in under budget and if the rumors are true, would signify the first time he would have gone over. It is also rumored that Rodriguez is hosting an art exhibit this weekend, which may indicated the haste to shut down production on his segment, although there is no word of whether he is expected to resume filming anytime soon.
Source:
Movieweb.com

I find it hard to believe that RR is over budget and behind schedule.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:06 am

Shit happens, may be beyond his control. I thought the Coen Brothers were infallible, but... sometimes things get ahead of you, no matter who you are!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brendonconnelly on Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:18 pm

There was no shutdown. The Grind House messageboard just got ahead of itself.
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Flumm on Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:34 pm

Sin City filmmaker Robert Rodriguez and his wife Elizabeth Avellan have split after 16 years of marriage. Rodriguez and Avellan insist their separation is amicable and they plan to raise their five children together, as well as continuing to work professionally as partners in their Troublemaker Studios production company, reports PageSix.com. Rodriguez, 37, told the crew on the set of his new movie Grind House, "This is an extremely painful time for me and my family, and Elizabeth and I very much appreciate your understanding and patience." The Weinstein Company plans to release Grind House, Rodriguez's collaboration with longtime friend Quentin Tarantino, later this year.

:o :(
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brendonconnelly on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:44 pm

Did nobody catch the little Tidbit of Grind House Fake Trailer news I saw?

It was good stuff. Well, it excited me, anyway.

Who else would you like to see direct fake trailers for the film?

Scott Spiegel? Scooter McRae? Craig Brewer?
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby brendonconnelly on Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:06 pm

Anybody know if there's any truth in the rumour that Bruce Campbell is directing one? My source can't substantiate it.
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Cineister Jim on Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:12 pm

Here's a more recent report from bloody_disgusting.com, this was posted on april 13.

One of regular (and most reliable) scoopers dropped us a line this afternoon with some depressing news. According to our source Robert Rodriquez's "Project Terror" was officially shut down for good as of yesterday- the crew was let go and everything. It may gear up again next year, but who knows. Until then, there's no word on the fate of Tarantino's "Death Proof", which is scheduled to shoot in LA this summer. WeinsteinCo.'s Grind House double feature was scheduled to hit theaters December 1st, but it looks like we may be waiting until next year- but who knows maybe they'll pull a "Kill Bill" and 'Project Terror' will end up being a Volume 2 so to speak. Watch for an official statement in the coming weeks for official word. Rodriguez's part, "Project Terror," will be a zombie pic, while Tarantino's section, "Death Proof," will a slasher seg.

I hope this is simply a misunderstanding or flat out rumor, Grindhouse is one of the films I'm most looking forward to this year.
J.W. Grant: You bastard.

Rico: Yes sir. In my case an accident of birth. But you, you're a self-made man.
Cineister Jim
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby brendonconnelly on Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:18 am

Me too.
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby doglips on Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:46 pm

This was up on the main page........

Winslow was on the right tracks.......

And they have to use your Planet Terror!!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:55 pm

Well it is good to hear that the rumors floating around about Grindhouse are not accurate.

I am so pumped for this movie.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:20 pm

Some interesting news from Rodriguez about a possible Grind House 2!?

From Joblo.com

-Robert Rodriguez hasn't even finished filming on the first GRIND HOUSE - his genrecentric collaboration with Quentin Tarantino - and he's already talking a sequel. The director talked to MTV and said he's planning ahead for a Part 2 and putting some things aside for GRIND HOUSE 2 that won't fit in the first installment. He even said that some of the trailers that are highlighted in between Tarantino's and Rodriguez's features might be developed into the actual spotlights for the next films. "If those trailers are great enough, they might be part of the feature we do for the next GRIND HOUSE," says Rodriguez. He was tight-lipped on the contents of those trailers saying they were too cool to give away (though he did mention that Danny Trejo has a part in one of the faux trailers). Of course one could argue that before he starts planning a GRIND HOUSE 2, Rodriguez should focus his attention on GRIND HOUSE 1. "Project Terror" and "Death Proof" - Rodriguez's and Tarantino's films featured in GRIND HOUSE - will hit theaters next April.

My thoughts....cool.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:25 pm

jgraphix wrote:Some interesting news from Rodriguez about a possible Grind House 2!?

From Joblo.com

-Robert Rodriguez hasn't even finished filming on the first GRIND HOUSE - his genrecentric collaboration with Quentin Tarantino - and he's already talking a sequel. The director talked to MTV and said he's planning ahead for a Part 2 and putting some things aside for GRIND HOUSE 2 that won't fit in the first installment. He even said that some of the trailers that are highlighted in between Tarantino's and Rodriguez's features might be developed into the actual spotlights for the next films. "If those trailers are great enough, they might be part of the feature we do for the next GRIND HOUSE," says Rodriguez. He was tight-lipped on the contents of those trailers saying they were too cool to give away (though he did mention that Danny Trejo has a part in one of the faux trailers). Of course one could argue that before he starts planning a GRIND HOUSE 2, Rodriguez should focus his attention on GRIND HOUSE 1. "Project Terror" and "Death Proof" - Rodriguez's and Tarantino's films featured in GRIND HOUSE - will hit theaters next April.

My thoughts....cool.

Next April?!?!?!?!

Fucking Diner.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:51 pm

Next April?

I wish they hadn't told us about this until, I dunno, December?

Old people have no patience.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:13 am

...and here's Quint's report.

Quint wrote:Next thing we see is Quentin Tarantinio himself, some sort of twisted back alley surgeon. He replaces the table-leg peg leg and attaches a machine gun. We see her use this in the footage and it kicks a large amount of ass. One shot has her leaping from a decent height, landing on her hands and knees and lifting her machine gun leg and blowing the shit out of a car with it. There was another instance where she was on the back of a motorcycle machine-leg-gunning down some zombies as they sped through the crowd.

you know, some TB'er disparaged this by saying something to the effect of "if this is your type of thing, you'll enjoy it."

That's my type of thing.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:56 am

Ditto KCBC
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:46 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:...and here's Quint's report.

Quint wrote:Next thing we see is Quentin Tarantinio himself, some sort of twisted back alley surgeon. He replaces the table-leg peg leg and attaches a machine gun. We see her use this in the footage and it kicks a large amount of ass. One shot has her leaping from a decent height, landing on her hands and knees and lifting her machine gun leg and blowing the shit out of a car with it. There was another instance where she was on the back of a motorcycle machine-leg-gunning down some zombies as they sped through the crowd.

you know, some TB'er disparaged this by saying something to the effect of "if this is your type of thing, you'll enjoy it."

That's my type of thing.

Me too...

Have I mentioned that I cannot fucking wait...

That whole description just sounded like the movie starts off insane - and just goes to completely retared nuts after that...

Perfect...

And then there will be Quentin's episode...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby mattyholmes on Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:36 am

this movie is going to be so awesome. im literally counting down the days.

when has tarantino ever let us down?
For the best movie reviews, news and discussion. visit..

http://youregonnaneedabiggerboat.blogspot.com/
mattyholmes
GLIB

Postby Eunuch Provocateur on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:57 am

[quote="mattyholmes"]when has tarantino ever let us down?[/quote]

Jackie Brown...?
Eunuch Provocateur
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:27 am

edit: images don't work on deeplink, visit link below for pics of Roberto's Grindhouse!

http://joblo.com/index.php?id=12184
Last edited by Evil Hobbit on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:43 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:...and here's Quint's report.

That's my type of thing.

Fuckin' A, man. I cannot not wait for this! CAN! NOT! WAIT!

I for one am glad that QT and RR are just going full-on with their
grindhouse exploitation jones. I know this is blasphemy for many, but
for my money, KILL BILL is QTs best film just as SIN CITY is RRs best.
Grindhouse is the genre they were born to traffic in and pwn utterly...

I just wish GRINDHOUSE was out now, or sooner than 2007; thats too
long to wait...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:58 am

We finally agree on something ZZS.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:44 pm

The main page has just thrown up some teaser posters...

:o

I'm LOVING that first one especially...

And they have higher quality versions over at the troublemaker studios page...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:27 pm

Those are beautiful posters, this should be great.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:01 pm

Gorgeous.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:52 pm

Flumm wrote:

I FUCKING love this poster...

The other two are cool...

But this one...genius...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Flumm on Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:14 pm

It's a doozy innit?

Also - it's a great, great poster, the more that unfolds about this whole project, the more I'm falling for it, but it also works I think, in no small way to Jamie King. She seems to have one of those intensely photogenic faces. Not out 'n out beautifull, yet somehow strangely compelling...

So apon seeing the poster earlier, I realised that it felt really kind of familliar to me in some way... so, after much internall rummaging, seeing as we some long months ahead of us untill the movie hits, I give you...

Robbie Williams - Sexed Up (with lots of Jamie King in Planet Terror style heavy mascara)
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:55 pm

Flumm wrote:Image

I am in love.

She is just... perfect; the HUGE eyes, vacant stare, running mascara,
and hypo poised for damage? I don't even have to know her to know that
she must be riddled with emotional problems, various crippling
psychological insecurities, and twisted bizarro sexual proclivities...

Marry me; be my zombie bride (with pre-nup). I love you.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:58 am

John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Flumm on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:13 am

I don't even know what to say...

Including the mid movie trailers, that's a rapidly cut, selectively chosen summery, of less than half of the combined experience...

Whether it sinks or swims*, it's gonna be a damn interesting ride either way, no?

*(OK, perhaps not quite as refreshingly sea-breezey and subtely humorous outside of a Waterworld post. Sorry, Bob.)

Some semi- SPOILER soaked suppositions...

Perhaps it's already common knowledge, so forgive me if is indeed the case, but imdb lists Machete simply as Machete at this point, (as apposed to Machete (Planet Terror Segment). I'm thinking it's reasonable to suppose, if it hasn't already been placed in the less co-orperative areas of my memory sludge at a previous date, that he is to play his part in both tales?

Seems like a natural route for them both to take with such a project I'm thinking...

*memory sludge gurgles*

Or rethinking.

Also, I just noticed that Quentin has a PT cameo as "The Rapist"....

Take that as you may...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:44 am

John-Locke wrote:BADASS

FUCK YEAH!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion