MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (Now w/ 100% More Awesome)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

MAD MAX 4, how bad you want it?

For me the series ended with MAD MAX 2:The Road Warrior
23%
It will be a good thing, bec MAD MAX 3: Beyond Tina Turners Legs was a dissapointing ending
58%
Who cares?
19%

Total votes : 26

Re: MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (Now w/ 100% More Awesome)

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 22, 2015 10:14 am

EXCLUSIVE First Look: The Cars of “Mad Max: Fury Road”
John Pearley Huffman wrote:No film series has captured the anarchic dystopian science-fiction vibe as giddily as George Miller’s Mad Max movies. From 1979’s original Mad Max through 1981’s The Road Warrior and then slamming into Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome in 1985, the future was brutal, toxic, barren, and filled with rabid vehicular beasts built from scraps that civilization had left behind. Thirty years later, it’s time to get back to some Australian postapocalyptic insanity.

George Miller is relaunching Mad Max with the long-rumored, then long-delayed, and now imminent Mad Max: Fury Road. Miller needed about 25 years of development, including 12 agonizing years after announcing that a script had been written, to get this movie made. And while previous Max movies were filmed in the Australian outback, this one was shot in Namibia.

Mad Max made Mel Gibson a star, but he’s not in Fury Road. Instead the part of Mad Max Rockatansky has moved to Tom Hardy, the British actor who played Bane in The Dark Knight Rises. Joining him is Charlize Theron as “Imperator Furiosa,” supermodel Rosie Huntington-Whiteley as “Splendid,” Lenny Kravitz’s daughter Zoë Kravitz as “Toast,” and Elvis Presley’s granddaughter Riley Keough as “Capable.” If you were looking for a cat name, there you go.

Here are 10 of the vehicles featured in the film. But this is nowhere near a comprehensive catalog of the 150-or-so lunatic machines conceived by production designer Colin Gibson and built by the production company. Information on the mechanical substance of these is sketchy because, unfortunately, we weren’t on the set.

That noted, keep in mind that practically all the stunts seen in Fury Road were done “practically,” which means physically, in the real world, using actual cars and living stunt people. What computerized graphic trickery was used in the film was reportedly to clean up shots and digitally erase safety and camera riggings.

When you’re filming in Namibia, it’s not like there’s a nearby O'Reilly overstuffed with spare auto parts. So the on-camera cars had to be built to be reliable and rugged rather than fast. And, of course, there were duplicates of all these vehicles. After all, having a film crew wait around for a broken car to be fixed is very expensive.

Mad Max: Fury Road opens on every movie screen in the Milky Way on May 15. Plan accordingly.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Who Killed The World?

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 23, 2015 8:13 pm

Fan Theories, Deep Reads And Second Guessing
A follow-up to the "Feral Kid" debunking
DEVIN FARACI wrote:Since this all started with Mad Max: Fury Road, here's a great Reddit post that maps characters from the film onto the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. A snippet:
The Bullet Farmer represents War. This is an easy one but hear me out. The Christian horseman isn't simply the embodiment of all war, it is the embodiment of unchecked aggression and "non-righteous" conflict. In a modern sense, War is simply unchecked militarism and internecine warfare. The Bullet Farmer doesn't merely represent these qualities, he actively pursues them. When the rest of the group is stuck in the mud and the three warlords have a talk, The People Eater tells him to wait and not hurt the "wives", but instead he goes riding off alone (unchecked aggression) and fires wildly with no regard to who he hits (collateral damage/internecine warfare/"friendly fire").

The People Eater represents Famine. "But he's studly!", you say. Read on, this requires more backstory of the Christian horseman. Famine is generally shown carrying weighing scales to measure grain during a famine. When he appears Saint John hears an exclamation on the prices of grain, but it then concludes:

and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine

Why does the voice say this? It's generally interpreted to mean that luxury goods should remain unaffected by famine, meaning the rich will not suffer, while the poor will. In this way, Famine also embodies the injustice and gluttony of the rich. We see this reflected in the characters surrounding The People Eater - many will resort to eating mutant salamanders, whereas TPE is extremely obese and has major gout, he is obviously well-fed.

TPE also embodies Famine in his name. Throughout history there are recurring episodes of cannibalism practiced by people who were not getting enough nutrients.

It's a pretty great read of the movie, and I love who the author posits as Death. Are these characters actually War and Pestilence and Famine and Death? No, clearly. They're the Bullet Farmer and The People Eater and Immortan Joe. But they're also those other things, under the surface.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun May 24, 2015 12:22 am

Some people need to just enjoy the fucking movie, I think.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby so sorry on Mon May 25, 2015 11:00 am

Well I for one enjoyed the movie. Not sure if I loved it or not...it was breakneck speed, that's for sure. Plot? Light. Action? Heavy.

Anyone want to guess why it got an R rating? There was minimal blood, no cussing, no nudity. Maybe it was the stillbirth scene?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon May 25, 2015 9:33 pm

At one point when Max is strapped to the front of Nux's car he says "Mrrururrur fuck mrrururur" something. Other than that I can't think of any foul language.

Overall it felt like it was riding the line most of the time. A little more edge to it for PG-13 but barely nudging into R territory in a few scenes, like when Immortan Joe gets his face ripped off.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 30, 2015 10:35 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:02 pm

This film really desecrated my grave in the best possible way. I had a great time with this. Good lean story, never too preachy with its subject of feminism, and a solid stunt-based action.

The original trilogy films were each very different, but they all had a classic western vibe to them. You could really feel John Ford's influence all over them. FURY ROAD is the only one that didn't really feel like a western, just a big demolition derby. And I think it's cool that Miller went with a totally different pace for this entry. This movie is already moving fast before it even starts. It's absolutely relentless.

The only thing I didn't like about it was Tom Hardy's performance. The way he says each of his lines in a different voice was really distracting. He drifts between sounding American, Australian, his Bane voice, muttering like Woody Allen, and grunting like a dog. He's always twitching and generally seeming buggy. I think these movies worked better when Max was the most normal character in a landscape populated by freaks, and Hardy's just too weird. Luckily, he's not the main character in this movie and Furiosa provides that calm at the centre of the storm. But Hardy better even his shit out for the sequel.

I found it odd that they kept Max's backstory as a guy who was a cop with a family before the apocalypse happened. I mean, Hardy looks about 35 years old, meaning the apocalypse happened about ten years ago. It just seems in this movie that the world has been post-apocalyptic a lot longer than that. Imortan Joe created a whole new civilization pretty damn quick, that is unless he was just doing this cult shit out in the outback before the apocalypse even happened. And he kidnapped Furiosa when she was a girl and raised her in his cult and her tribe has to squint to see some resemblance between she and her mother, so I guess Charlize Theron is just supposed to be like 20 years old in this or something. Aw fuck it, who cares. This movie is awesome.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:08 am

Spandau Belly wrote: I think these movies worked better when Max was the most normal character in a landscape populated by freaks, and Hardy's just too weird.

Don't know if I would agree, especially since I haven't seen Fury Road yet, but now that I think of it I find it odd that Max really was the normal character. After all it's Mad Max, how come we saw this as pretty angry for a good reason Max and not insane Max. How on earth is the old 'You'll never make it through the cuffs in time' game not a sigh of completely shattered sanity. Do I blame the movie or me as a viewer for that?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:42 am

Well, if you wanted a Mad Max who is mad like The Mad Hatter, then Hardy's you're man. I can't deny that he lives up to the series' title in a more obvious way than Mel Gibson's measured (and possibly excessive) cruelty.

Mel's Max was mad in that he was prepared to take insane risks and resort to surprising(ly creative) levels of savagery to achieve his idea of justice or ensure his own survival. But he wasn't full of quarks and ticks that made him seem out of control. He always came across like a straight edged guy to me. Hardy's Max just goes all over the place. Speaking in all sorts of weird voices, barking lke a dog, twitching and making weird faces.

I dug around the internet and found that Hardy claims his twitchy style in this movie was an homage to Mel Gibson, but the thing is that Mel Gibson never acted like that as Max, he did that when he was Martin Riggs.

And it's not just Hardy's performance, Miller also chooses to depict Max as suffering from constant hallucinations throughout this film.

In this film, Furiosa comes across more like Max to me than Max does.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:27 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Well, if you wanted a Mad Max who is mad like The Mad Hatter, then Hardy's you're man.

I have no idea if I actually want that, I'll see when I see it so to speak.

Spandau Belly wrote:I dug around the internet and found that Hardy claims his twitchy style in this movie was an homage to Mel Gibson, but the thing is that Mel Gibson

Maybe he's thinking of the South Park version of Mel Gibson. (I barely avoided the cheap joke of just saying Mel Gibson)
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:34 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I found it odd that they kept Max's backstory as a guy who was a cop with a family before the apocalypse happened.

He was the chief of police of Bartertown. Real reactionary.
caruso_stalker217

Postby so sorry on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:55 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:T found it odd that they kept Max's backstory as a guy who was a cop with a family before the apocalypse happened. I mean, Hardy looks about 35 years old, meaning the apocalypse happened about ten years ago. It just seems in this movie that the world has been post-apocalyptic a lot longer than that.

Huh, that never occurred to me, but you're absolutely right! Once again, if they had gotten Mel Gibson to reprise this role, his age would have been perfect IMO.

Spandau Belly wrote:Aw fuck it, who cares. This movie is awesome.

True that!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:48 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:26 am

best movie I have seen this year. fucking great

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:39 pm

So, when Charlize refused to get implants for her character and an Iron Maiden album cover declined the role of Joe, they went back to the drawing board?
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:17 pm

A couple days after I watched Fury Road and I'm still trying to figure out what the story was. Or if there even was a story; I'm not really sure. They kind of drove around in one direction, got bored, and drove back the other way. They snuck a few good character moments in there, but it was basically balls-to-the-wall action, and on that front it most certainly delivers. Some of the best action I've ever seen. I have a feeling this one will grow on me the more I watch it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:54 am

you honestly don't know what the story was?????? i think you may need to get a prescription for ADD or something, :-P since it was pretty clear and straightforward. Theron was taking the girls to the place she came from( to save them from being breeders for Joe any longer) which used to be a green, lush area, and when they got there and realized it had been spoiled since her childhood, then Max convinces them that their best chance of making a new life is to go back and take over the currently undefended home of Big Joe. see? simple

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:50 am

Ribbons wrote:A couple days after I watched Fury Road and I'm still trying to figure out what the story was. Or if there even was a story; I'm not really sure. They kind of drove around in one direction, got bored, and drove back the other way. They snuck a few good character moments in there, but it was basically balls-to-the-wall action, and on that front it most certainly delivers. Some of the best action I've ever seen. I have a feeling this one will grow on me the more I watch it.

"Stories" are for pretentious film school nerds. :lol:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:52 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:03 pm

Fury Road chase scene with go carts and paintballs.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:41 pm

The behind the scenes making of:

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: “Mad Max: The Wasteland”

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:09 am

GEORGE MILLER CONFIRMS TWO SEQUELS TO “MAD MAX: FURY ROAD” IN THE WORKS
Josh Lyons wrote:What a lovely day. George Miller has confirmed that two more Mad Max sequels are in the works at Warner Bros. The first sequel, Mad Max: The Wasteland, has already been announced, but that there are in fact two sequels in development comes as a pleasant surprise. The films will be produced by Miller through his Kennedy Miller Productions with Warner in for distribution.

According to Miller–who created the Road Warrior franchise back in 1979 when he wrote, directed and produced the original Mad Max–there was so much additional scripted material left over after multiple drafts through various starts and stops of the Fury Road project, that he has more than enough for not one, but two additional films.

Mad Max: Fury Road, which Miller and stars Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron spent eight months shooting in the Namibian desert on a $150 million budget, grossed over $375 million worldwide. The non-stop kinetic pace, daring visuals, practical effects and subtle performances made it one of summer’s earliest hits with both audiences and critics.

Miller, who won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature with 2006’s Happy Feet, will be back to write both Fury Road sequels, but as of now, he’s only attached to direct the first installment. Miller insists, however, that he’ll take a break from the mania of Mad Max with a more mellow movie–yet to be announced.

George Miller Confirms Two ‘Mad Max’ Sequels Are in Development at Warner Bros.
Angie Han wrote:Miller discussed the Mad Max sequels with Top Gear.

This film [Fury Road] was green lit three times and fell over three times over a decade. We went to shoot with Mel Gibson back in 2001, but then 9/11 happened, and the American dollar collapsed against the Australian dollar close to 30 per cent, so we lost that amount of budget overnight. […] We were then rained out of Australia. The desert rained for the first time in 15 years, and we ended up in southwest Africa, Namibia. But in this process, we had dug down deep into the backstory, not only of the characters, but of every vehicle. How the steering wheels became religious artifacts and things like that. So we ended up with two scripts, without really trying. We’re talking to the studio [Warner Bros] about it as we speak, but which one of the two stories will happen next, I’m not so sure.

Miller has long had plans to continue the Mad Max franchise beyond Fury Road. Way back in 2010 we heard Miller was considering a separate film titled Mad Max: Furiosa, and more recently he revealed the title of the next film could be Mad Max: The Wasteland. It’s unclear whether Furiosa and The Wasteland are two titles for the same film, or whether they’re two different titles.

However, it’s worth pointing out that there have long been rumors Max and Furiosa might each get a separate Fury Road sequel. If that’s the case, Warner Bros. may have some dealmaking to do. Tom Hardy is already contracted for three more Mad Max movies, but his co-star Charlize Theron doesn’t appear to be locked in for any follow-ups just yet.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:42 am

Sign me up!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:47 am

‘Mad Max’ Sequel Won’t Be Called ‘Wasteland,’ Says George Miller
The more I speculate about what’s happening, the more I try to avoid spoilers this far out, and also I find myself talking around in circles. So the best thing I can say is that we’re definitely in discussion about making more of these, but the timing of it, I’m really not sure. Probably won’t be called Wasteland. I can say that. It was just the working title we gave it.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ‘Mad Max: Prequel Road’

Postby TheButcher on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:57 am

‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Prequel Reportedly in the Works
HALEIGH FOUTCH wrote:How big do grains of salt come these days? A new report from Australia’s Herald Sun states that a Mad Max: Fury Road prequel is not only in the works over at Warner Bros., it could start filming in Australia as soon as this year with George Miller returning at the helm. Now that is the kind of story I would love to believe, but there are a few odd bits that leave a lot of room for questions.

But first, here’s what the Herald Sun is saying:
The prequel to Mad Max: Fury Road starring TOM HARDY will be filmed in and around Broken Hill…

Pre-production is gearing up on the multi-million-dollar action-packed Warner Bros franchise, with NSW’s Broken Hill Studios Miller’s first choice for shooting, which could start as soon as later this year. Mad Max 4 was plagued by delays when extended rain turned the desert green and the uber director had to move location to Namibia…
The script is said to focus on the backstory of Furiosa, played by Oscar winner CHARLIZE THERON.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Al Shut on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:41 am

I'd watch it

Not holding my breath though
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Peven on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:43 pm

why a prequel and not a sequel? the ending of Fury Road left open all sorts of possibilities to take the story of Max forward, no reason to go backwards

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:29 am

I thought I read somewhere that Fury Road was getting a limited re-release in the theaters, but its the "black and chrome" version that Miller himself oversaw.

Not sure I'd like it without color (as monochromatic as it was).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:19 pm

if they used the same B&W that was used for "White Ribbon" it would be quite visually striking, imo, and give it an even more otherworldly look and feel

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:07 pm

I don't think that they're doing a theater re-release, but there is a "Black and Chrome Edition" of Fury Road coming out on Blu-ray:

http://comicbook.com/2016/09/17/mad-max-fury-road-black-and-chrome-edition-gets-a-release-date/

...December 6th, I almost forgot to add that part.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:18 am

Tom Hardy Confirms ‘Mad Max: The Wasteland’ Is Still Happening
“All right, let’s get the leathers on and get back out there and do some more.”
Dave Trumbore & Christina Radish wrote:While appearing at the ongoing TCA 2017 event to talk up his new FX series Taboo, Hardy also fielded a few questions regarding the future of the Mad Max franchise. During the panel, he confirmed that there’s much more to explore in the mythology and he’s anxiously waiting for Miller to get things rolling again. And as a bonus, in a 1-on-1 interview with our own Christina Radish, Hardy commented on his franchise film deal and the status of the two previously announced Mad Max films.

As for Hardy’s anticipation for the next installment, here’s what he said during the 1-on-1:
I’m anxiously waiting to find out. There’s mythology to do with Mad Max that spans copious amounts of tales. What’s wonderful about George [Miller] is that he’s created sagas for Max and sagas for Furiosa, so it’s what he chooses to focus in on. I’m really just waiting for the call like, “All right, let’s get the leathers on and get back out there and do some more.” It’s there. I’m just waiting for it and looking forward to it.

During the after-panel scrum, Hardy confirmed that he’s signed on for a total of three films and that the working title of Mad Max: The Wasteland might not be the final title, but the movie’s still a go:
Is Mad Max: The Wasteland happening?

Yeah, as far as I’ve signed to do three of them. It’s a question of when. I’m not sure it’s called The Wasteland or not ‘cause you never know. These titles change all the time. But, there’s definitely another Mad Max project pending.

And while Hardy wasn’t going to give anything up regarding any new directions for his title character, it’s nice to know that the actor and director get along so well:
What are you excited about, with returning to that particular character?

HARDY: I love working with George [Miller] and the fact that his mythology is so deep. It’s a joy to work with an artist and somebody who has the ability to be a movie maker, as well. It’s the full package, isn’t it?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:29 am

The Doof Warrior Will Return In MAD MAX: THE WASTELAND
George Miller says we haven't seen the last of FURY ROAD's strangest character.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: MAD MAX: FURY ROAD BEGINS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:07 am

Variety July 11, 2017:
Charlize Theron Would ‘Love to’ Do a Prequel to ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’
Ramin Setoodeh wrote:In this week’s cover story, Charlize Theron tells Variety she hopes that her new action thriller “Atomic Blonde” spawns a multi-film franchise. But she’s also eager to trek back through the desert as the one-armed Imperator Furiosa in a prequel to “Max Mad: Fury Road.”

“I’d love to,” Theron tells Variety. “There were three scripts. They were written as back stories to Max’s character and to Furiosa’s character. But at the end of the day, this thing lives and breathes with [director] George [Miller]. I think Warner Bros. knows that. We are all waiting for him to show us the way.”

Theron said that that the strong box office reception to “Mad Max” — which grossed $378.9 million worldwide and won six Oscars — helped guide the development of “Atomic Blonde.” In the summer tentpole, Theron plays an ass-kicking British spy that battles Russian baddies in 1989 Berlin.

“Mad Max” had several false stars, and in one version, Theron revealed she had less of a punk rock look. “Originally, [George] liked this idea that even though they were in the desert, something happened and people actually turned albino,” Theron says. “They became these white ghosts. I had this white hair, kind of like Abbey Lee [Kershaw’s] character. It was very much like that: blonde, bleached, very pale skin, no eyebrows. We played around with African war paint. It would have been a completely different film.”

But after the release of “Snow White and the Huntsman,” Theron wanted to shave her head. “I had just finished a big press tour,” Theron says. “I’d come home — I was just so done with hair and makeup. The idea of going into a desert for 140 days, and having to do hair and makeup every single day. I was so excited about diving into this character, I didn’t want anything to hold me back from that. It think it came from that — just pure exhaustion from hair and makeup. How do I eliminate everything I possibly can and get straight to the business at hand?”

As for another franchise, “The Fast and the Furious,” Theron sounds less certain about whether she’s returning for the next film, after playing a hacker in this spring’s “The Fate of the Furious.”

“I don’t know,” she says. “I have no idea if they’ll have me back. Look, I love everybody at Universal. We’re going to have conversations. We’ll see where it goes.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:16 am

I don't want any fucking prequels, I want to see what happens next....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Max mumbles his way through another one-shot adventure involving strangers that he doesn't give a shit about and then he does and at the end he leaves.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:34 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Max mumbles his way through another one-shot adventure involving strangers that he doesn't give a shit about and then he does and at the end he leaves.

yeah, yeah, and then what?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:51 pm

in the next one, instead of being mad, Max will merely be displeased.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:49 am

Mad Max: Angsty Road
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:09 pm

Randy Max :Beyond the Cathouse- Max "liberates" a brothelful of beautiful women from an evil madame played by Rihanna.

Irritable Max: Perth Torino- Max goes around insulting everyone and complaining how things aren't how they used to be. ends with a big finale where he shoots it out with an empty chair and is fatally wounded.

Flaming Max: To Max Fu, Thanks for All the Memories- Max never appears in movie, just referred to as inspiration by a trio of wasteland cross-dressers on a journey to an ass-less chaps festival who have to navigate all sorts of hi-jinks, like highway killers and cannibals and occasional karaoke bar, on their way while discovering their friendship is their greatest asset.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion