The Golden Compass (now with Reviews!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Golden God or Pyrite Pile?

No votes
5%
24%
5%
10%
5%
10%
10%
No votes
10%
God told me not to see this
24%

Total votes : 21

The Golden Compass (now with Reviews!)

Postby Flumm on Mon May 08, 2006 10:06 am

Quint as just posted this on the main page...

Chris Weitz back on HIS DARK MATERIALS!!!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with yet another development in the troubled adaptation of HIS DARK MATERIALS' first film in the trilogy, THE GOLDAN COMPASS. Anand Tucker has left the project and Chris Weitz has stepped back into the director's shoes. Weitz (ABOUT A BOY) wrote the screenplay and was originally slated as director, but stepped down. Now he's back.
I am totally ignorant of HIS DARK MATERIALS, so please let me know below the fan thoughts on this. I'm planning on picking up the books before my New Zealand journey at the end of the month to add on to my "must read" stack for the trip. Let me know your thoughts below.

...so it seems that the movies are back in production. Excited? As Quint says, there is an awful lot of love for Pullman's books out there, I would be interested to know how people think they will translate to film. Is Weitz the right guy to do it? Is it even possible, can any director do them justice?
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Mon May 08, 2006 10:08 am

bring all of us who haven't read the books up to speed, Flumm. what is the basic premise, synopisis of the books?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Flumm on Mon May 08, 2006 10:13 am

Peven wrote:bring all of us who haven't read the books up to speed, Flumm. what is the basic premise, synopisis of the books?

I'm in the same boat as you Peven, my friend. I'm sure we're not the only ones. I think this is where I say something like, " I haven't managed to quite get around to reading them" or something, it sounds like an alibi for laziness, but in this case it happens also to be the truth. I'm interested in these, as I've heard very good things, and they seem to be favoured a lot more among adult readers then their obvious contenders, Harry Potter.

So if anyone wants to throw out a spoiler lite synopsis of the first book at least, I think a lot of us could use it.

EDIT:
thomasgaffney wrote:You can just read about it here:

His Dark Materials Trilogy

That's probably where half of my positive buzz about this comes from in retrospect. :lol:
Last edited by Flumm on Mon May 08, 2006 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Mon May 08, 2006 10:22 am

Chris Weitz can FUCK OFF.
Ok I liked American Pie (first one), About a Boy is a good film I can watch with my folks, and Chuck and Buck is an interesting movie.
But Weitz is completely and utterly wrong for this film. He doesn't (or has never demonstrated) anything like the visual ingenuity required to make locations in the book look both familiar and yet utterly fantastical.
Does anyone know who's tackling the script? If it's Weitz we might as well just give up hope now unfortunately.

This should be a Gilliam film or, my favourite choice, Terence Malick, if he could actully stick tightly to the narrative.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 08, 2006 10:40 am

TonyWilson wrote:Does anyone know who's tackling the script? If it's Weitz we might as well just give up hope now unfortunately.

Well...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Mon May 08, 2006 10:48 am

Ribbons wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Does anyone know who's tackling the script? If it's Weitz we might as well just give up hope now unfortunately.

Well...

Ah....... :oops:

Yes he wrote the screenplay originally (i was hoping there was a new draft)....the one that has all references to God and the Church removed. Give up hope now people.

Sorry to be negative, but you can't possibly translate the book to screen in any way that's acceptable if you remove those references.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Peven on Mon May 08, 2006 10:56 am

aahhh, ok, after reading that thread it does seem like it would be a bit tricky to adapt to the big screen, especially by the guy who brought us "American Pie". also, the removal of the religious aspect of it seems as if it could have a neutering effect, at least from the sense i got from those here who have read them.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby magicmonkey on Mon May 08, 2006 11:18 am

Well, Tony has managed to depress me on this one... He removed the references to god and the church??!?

There are two adversaries in these books, Science and Religion. To remove one is like taking the spots off a (snow) leopard. No, really, a leopard can't change its spots, nor remove them.

[/reactionist mode] Cripes, why not call the film of the book fooking "Narnia - the further adventures of". :(

Here's to the better news and developments on this. Malick would be great, I'd even chance Mike Figgis on this after watching a 16mm print of his "Loss of sexual innocence" I'm sure he could deliver. Even better a Gilliam/Figgis co-production... drool.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon May 08, 2006 12:45 pm

magicmonkey wrote:Well, Tony has managed to depress me on this one... He removed the references to god and the church??!?

There are two adversaries in these books, Science and Religion. To remove one is like taking the spots off a (snow) leopard. No, really, a leopard can't change its spots, nor remove them.

[/reactionist mode] Cripes, why not call the film of the book fooking "Narnia - the further adventures of". :(

Here's to the better news and developments on this. Malick would be great, I'd even chance Mike Figgis on this after watching a 16mm print of his "Loss of sexual innocence" I'm sure he could deliver. Even better a Gilliam/Figgis co-production... drool.

Given the metaphysical nature of the books I think Malick or Gilliam would be preferred choices, but once again (just as I mentioned in the 'Clash Of The Titans' thread) how about someone like Vincent Ward?
He's someone who I think could also handle both aspects of this story - the visual and narrative elements.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon May 08, 2006 12:46 pm

I picked up the first book in the trilogy a little awhile ago, but haven't
started reading it yet. Right now, I'm waist deep in re-reading DUNE --
something I read as a wickle kidlin and didn't entire appreciate, but
now I'm loving like a Fremen on the spice kickin' it olde skool
with some worms all up in the blue-on-blue mindhole of the eternal
everythang.

But I'm looking forward to diving into HIS DARK MATERIALS as soon
as I'm finished DUNE. Speaking of which, I have a strong suspicion that
Lucas may have been... 'influenced'... by DUNE. Maybe just a tad?
A smidgen? A FULL-ON DELUGE?!?!

Seriously, theres so much DUNE in STAR WARS its astounding to the
mindhole. [/off topic]
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 08, 2006 1:47 pm

The "official" site for The Trilogy, Lyra's Oxford, The Book of Dust, the film, stage version and other adaptations here, @ bridgetothestars.net.

the fan trailers are a hoot, possibly better than anything Weitz will put on screen (well, the first one at any rate).

I dunno, I don't wanna ride Weitz, but we've now lost all references to God and the Church and have an epic fantasy film being directed by someone who has never once shown he has the chops to direct something so big.

*sigh*, well, if it bombs/sucks, maybe in 20-30yrs we'll get a remake, one that will be FAITHFUL to the material.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 08, 2006 2:00 pm

I tried readin the first and didn't get into it, despite the wonderful imagination. Found it wierdly hard to get my head around some of the concepts, although I appreciated it...

... sounds like Hollywood chickening out again. It's like Doom without the Demons, only the other way around. Don't want to piss off/comment on those crazy religious types!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon May 08, 2006 6:42 pm

I'm crying.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Mon May 08, 2006 6:58 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:I'm crying.

I feel your pain dog, this just screams bad idea, and worryingly, MERCHANDISING!!!! Armoured Polar Bears are a studio execs wet dream afterall (first superman '78 original draft) and it seems like they are going to really really really simplify the film. The books are kids books admittedly, but they're book for smart kids not just Harry Potter fans. Sorry to sound elitist or something, it's not my intention, but these books just aren't for every kid in the way Harry Potter or Narnia are. Best way to describe it is as a modernists quest story. So simplifying it will just mean the film doesn't make sense and the real power and message/subtext of the books are lost.

Hollywood Babylon suggested Vincent Ward, who, I think could be a good choice although the fact the What Dreams May come turned in to New Agey speechifying is kind of a worry considering HDM themes.
TonyWilson

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 08, 2006 7:03 pm

The books have a cold, hard edge to them that is guarenteed to be missed by Hollywood...

*sheds a single tear*
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon May 08, 2006 7:14 pm

Missed? Ignored more like.

*weeps a little more*
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Mon May 08, 2006 7:19 pm

TonyWilson wrote:This should be a Gilliam film or, my favourite choice, Terence Malick, if he could actully stick tightly to the narrative.

Gilliam would be a great choice, but for me Alfonso Cuaron would be a great director for these movies.

Oh and if Fanning gets Lyra.........I'll cry some more.......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon May 08, 2006 8:58 pm

If they managed to adapt LOTR, I think they can adapt His Dark Materials. But you have to pick a director who is as passionate about the material as Jackson was for Tolkien. The fact that Weisz already turned in a religion free draft proves he doesn't have that.

What a bummer. They would be amazing if done right. Its the only fantasy series to come close to Tolkien and Lewis.

I think they would be really ideal as a mini series if done by HBO, who's the only station to have the guts and budget.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 09, 2006 12:31 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:If they managed to adapt LOTR, I think they can adapt His Dark Materials. But you have to pick a director who is as passionate about the material as Jackson was for Tolkien. The fact that Weisz already turned in a religion free draft proves he doesn't have that.

Oddly enough though, he is really passionate about directing this movie. Have you heard him talk about it? Which just confuses the crap out of me, by the way, considering he has to keep changing it to accomodate New Line. Maybe he really likes polar bears.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue May 09, 2006 1:01 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:What a bummer. They would be amazing if done right. Its the only fantasy series to come close to Tolkien and Lewis.

you had to know you'd ruffle a few feathers with that statement, right? :wink: i mean, the two trilogies that make up Stephen R Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant" series were NY Times bestsellers and when he released them back in the late 70's/early 80's more than a couple reviewers hailed him as the next Tolkien. in fact, Marc Gordon, producer of films like "The Patriot", "Saving Private Ryan", and "Speed", and producer Peter Winther, of "Independence Day" and "Stargate" have optioned the rights to adapt the Covenant series for the big screen, with "Band of Brothers" writer John Orloff writing the adapatation. and are shopping the concept around to directors and actors right now in order to then attain studio backing. but, i would rather not see the series (my favorite books.... EVAR :wink: )made into movies if i knew they were going to alter the basis/essence of them to the degree it seems that Weisz is doing with his treatment of "His Dark Materials".

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue May 09, 2006 1:55 pm

Ribbons wrote:Oddly enough though, he is really passionate about directing this movie. Have you heard him talk about it? Which just confuses the crap out of me, by the way, considering he has to keep changing it to accomodate New Line. Maybe he really likes polar bears.

I haven't heard him, no. It's like the project comes and goes and I can never keep track of it to dig deeper. I agree with you, it is odd if he's that excited to just give in to editing. I wouldn't think New Line would balk--if Narnia and LOTR proved anything, it's that people want faithful adaptations of these kinds of series.

I imagine all this anti-Da Vinci code stuff is making them think twice though--but people LOVE that book, anti-Church literature is as hot a ticket as Christian-themed films are.

Peven wrote:you had to know you'd ruffle a few feathers with that statement, right? :wink: i mean, the two trilogies that make up Stephen R Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant" series were NY Times bestsellers and when he released them back in the late 70's/early 80's more than a couple reviewers hailed him as the next Tolkien.

Oh, I honestly didn't mean to! I am ashamed to say that I haven't heard of this series. :oops: Which horrifies me, I consider myself pretty up on fantasy and sci fi authors and I spent an awful lot of time shelving them back in the retail days.

I am always interested in reading a good fantasy series. What's it about?
I just went looking on Amazon.com to see and Publisher's Weekly kindly blew the ending of the last one. When will book reviewers learn that you don't just reveal that stuff out of spite? :evil: (And which is the first book?)
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue May 09, 2006 2:23 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:I imagine all this anti-Da Vinci code stuff is making them think twice though--but people LOVE that book, anti-Church literature is as hot a ticket as Christian-themed films are.

I spent most of yesterday thinking along those lines.

Could, realistically, this trilogy be given justice in terms of budget (I'm thinking around LotR 300mil or so) and still make a profit, can it still be feasible for some studio or eccentric billionaire to produce this without altering the source material?

I say yes, but it would involve a radical way to think about movie distribution and marketing.

Instead of releasing the film in the U.S. first or the U.S. and the rest of the world simultaneously (like with M.I. III last weekend, and more and more films of late)...do not release it in the states for an extended period of time (couple of months, half a year). Just think, the global b.o. is not what it used to be; some films now make more globally than in the States. Simple fact.

We're going to have to assume we've made a great film here, we let the global word of mouth, the worldwide box office drum up anticipation...just think of all the free publicity...why wasn't this film released in our country? who's making sure we don't see it? is this what is has come down to, the rest of the world is so far ahead of us that they can deal with questions of religion, but backwater provincial America can't? Hell, I think this move would make Americans, so used to being the forefront of pop-culture, at the very least curious. Plus, since we don't read, it may drum up some more readership for the novels, which could translate to more b.o. (in theory).

Or do it on a smaller scale, just film the first one, with the same marketing plan. So we're looking at a roughly 100mil budget, another 50mil or so for marketing...can a film of this nature make the roughly 300mil or so worldwide to turn a profit before it's even released in the states?

Is this feasible? Can it be done? 'Prolly not, but it sure would be fun to try.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue May 09, 2006 2:24 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
Peven wrote:you had to know you'd ruffle a few feathers with that statement, right? :wink: i mean, the two trilogies that make up Stephen R Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant" series were NY Times bestsellers and when he released them back in the late 70's/early 80's more than a couple reviewers hailed him as the next Tolkien.

Oh, I honestly didn't mean to! I am ashamed to say that I haven't heard of this series. :oops: Which horrifies me, I consider myself pretty up on fantasy and sci fi authors and I spent an awful lot of time shelving them back in the retail days.

I am always interested in reading a good fantasy series. What's it about?
I just went looking on Amazon.com to see and Publisher's Weekly kindly blew the ending of the last one. When will book reviewers learn that you don't just reveal that stuff out of spite? :evil: (And which is the first book?)

the first trilogy, in order, is..

Lord Foul's Bane
The Illearth War
The Power That Preserves

second trilogy..

The Wounded Land
The One Tree
White Gold Wielder

he just published the first book of "The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" last year, which is titled, "The Runes of the Earth".

these really are great books, with a rich cast of three dimensional characters and races/cultures. one thing to remember if you choose to check them out, and you won't regret it if you do i PROMISE, is that the first book uses the first two chapters to establish the main character, a little slow yet very important and insightful to why Covenant is the way he is, but once you get into the 3rd chapter and the story gets rolling you'll get pulled right in. Thomas Covenant is something of an anti-hero, in that he is one of the least likeable characters in many ways, at least through the first trilogy. he is a reluctant, even beligerant, hero of sorts. with leprosy. he is "transported" to another world/dimension, "The Land", where his lack of two fingers on one hand, due to his leprosy, along with his white gold wedding ring, fit the description of a prophesized savior of the people there against evil. problem is, he is sure it is all just a dream.

i just recently discovered Donaldson has an official website, http://www.stephenrdonaldson.com/ and linked fan-run site/message board. http://www.kevinswatch.com/

if you're familiar with the way Tolkien fans are in regard to LOTR, that is very similar to the love and respect that Donaldson fans have for the Covenant series. the books are just that good at being able to draw you in to the point where you end up discussing characters like you're talking about real people, much the way Tolkien fans talk about characters from LOTR.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue May 09, 2006 3:02 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Instead of releasing the film in the U.S. first or the U.S. and the rest of the world simultaneously (like with M.I. III last weekend, and more and more films of late)...do not release it in the states for an extended period of time (couple of months, half a year). Just think, the global b.o. is not what it used to be; some films now make more globally than in the States. Simple fact.

I think that's a damn good plan, I would love to see a studio try it! I really would. I know the books are alot more popular in England than here--I don't know if it holds true for the rest of Europe, but it is possible there's a ready fan audience waiting for a proper film.

That would only increase the buzz over here, particularly for the books. That's how Harry Potter started. Actually, come to think of it, alot of the recent film, television and literary hits have started in England and come over to the U.S. A smart studio would remember that and use it to their advantage. The Pond gets smaller every day...
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:39 am

Lyra Belacqua has been cast!
http://tinyurl.com/m3y69

reprinted here
'While we were all beginning to think that the first His Dark Materials film, The Golden Compass -- blasted American title! What's wrong with Northern Lights?) -- might be one of those cinematic labours of Hercules that drags in directors and spits them out, we've got to admit that Chris Weitz is making progress.

He's gone ahead and cast the lead character of Lyra Belacqua, the girl who sets out on a dangerous mission through a fantastical realm. And just who is the actress playing Lyra, you ask? Well, her first name is Dakota, and -- a-ha! Gotcha! Bet you were thinking we were going to follow-up with the surname Fanning, right? Wrong!

The lucky young lady plucked from obscurity is Dakota Blue Richards, who won the part up against 10,000 other girls after a huge casting sweep. Looks like the Dark Materials crew are going the Harry Potter route.

Weitz plans to start shooting in September right here in Blighty, while studio New Line aims to have the film unspooling on 16 November 2007 (in the States at least). We won't stop holding our breath until the reels are running through the projector, but at least it's a good start.'

Shooting in England in September

main site has the story here:
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23732

what those freaking armoured bears might look like
gratuitous shot of promo poster I found

from bridgetothestars.net

Having read the Northern Lights/Golden Compass, I'm really looking forward to this.
for the readers: How close is this to 'steampunk' (like the 'difference engine' or 'Steam Boy')?
Flumm threatened to whip me with his own electrical cord unless I re-posted here in his thread - Thanks Flummie, old boy!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Flumm on Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:14 pm

Bahhahawhwah! :lol:

It's people like you write the history books isn't it? Is that my fate now? To be the next Ghengis Khan? Sigh, who am I to argue in my own destiny, so be it... :roll:

Oh, just don't ask me what pilliging means.

To actually mention something about the movie (crazey talk I know), I love the look of those armoured polar bears. Even if is just for promotional purposes, those things look fantastic, I can't help but think they will look amazing on screen.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:42 pm

...it was a slow day in the Zone

I love the Bear, it's exciting just thinking of it romping across some frozen tundra at night with small children clinging to it's back - I'm very hopeful this will be good, despite the incongruous choice of director.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:48 pm

^I agree, I think it looks fantastic. I've only read the 1st book
so far (starting the 2nd after I finish DUNE MESSIAH), and I really, really
hope they keep the anti-Catholic church thing in the movie; we art-zen-
pagans (and zombiepagans) need this to be...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:05 pm

Yeah I've read the first book too- wouldn't say it was 'anti-catholic Church' as such, (it would be more C of E in England, except it isn't really set in 'our England') but I know what you're talking about, and it's one of the factors (along with the Director of American Pie) that makes me a bit trepidatious - apparently the early draft of the script has had precisely those elements - which I saw more as a science versus religion and science versus magic dimension of the story - removed. But it's too early to get hateful and cynical, now is the time for hoping they do it right and dreaming how it might be...
Last edited by tapehead on Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Spartan on Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:39 pm

The books are anti religion but only the anti science part of religion. Excellent book all 3 of them. The third is a but crazy but I really loved it, heartbreaking though.
Spartan
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:13 pm

Wow, I love the bears too!

I can't wait to see who they else they cast. There are some great roles there screaming for great actors--I'd love to see a Colin Firth or Sean Bean sort sink his teeth into Lord Azreal. I hope they don't go wimpy and cast some drip like David Thewlis.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Spartan on Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:15 pm

Russel Crowe for Asriel I think. Coulter is more difficult, she's got to be sublimely beautiful but colder than ice...not sure who i'd pick for that.
Spartan
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:30 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Wow, I love the bears too!

I can't wait to see who they else they cast. There are some great roles there screaming for great actors--I'd love to see a Colin Firth or Sean Bean sort sink his teeth into Lord Azreal. I hope they don't go wimpy and cast some drip like David Thewlis.

You should see Thewlis in Mike Leigh's 'Naked' as Johnny; he's capable of the aloofness and intensity of Azreal - he's not the prettiest fellow to look at though, it would have to be someone handsome, or at least formidable in appearance - which leaves Colin Firth out for mine.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:37 pm

Spartan wrote:Russel Crowe for Asriel I think. Coulter is more difficult, she's got to be sublimely beautiful but colder than ice...not sure who i'd pick for that.

Nicole Kidman? ;)

I think Cate Blanchett could pull it off--I'd love to see her play a villainess actually.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby lyra belacqua on Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:33 pm

Can I just say how fucking happy I am to see the movie rolling along?

happyhappyhappyhappyhappy

I just can't wait to see one of my favorite stories on screen. I tend to be one that tries not to make up my mind before I see it, even if the casting gets horrible (I am not down with Russell Crowe, at all.) so Weitz better take care and not fuck-up.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:42 pm

tapehead wrote:for the readers: How close is this to 'steam punk' (like the 'difference engine' or 'Steam Boy')?

not very. Since you've read the first book, you 'prolly know most of this anyway...

Lyra's world exists at the same time as our own, a parallel / multiverse. Their technology (which I sorta imagine is what you're asking about) is different from ours in that they use anbaric (energy source, charge) to power most of their tools, rather than oil / gas (they don't have cars, and while I don't recall what powered the Gyptians boat, I would hazard they used coal? I don't recall what powers the Gyrocopters either...Lee Scorsby uses "Ground-Gas" to fuel his balloon)

I guess I can see where you're going with this in that Lyra's world is pretty steampunkish, with her Oxford lagging behind our tech in some respects, far more advanced in other areas. As far as I recall, Lyra's world doesn't have anything resembling a Difference Engine, and unlike Steamboy Pullman doesn't focus on the tech, just subtly tweaks certain names and phrases to create a relatively believable different world.

It all becomes rather moot in the Subtle Knife, where the action takes place mostly in our (Will's) world and Cittàgazze, and The Amber Spyglass, where the action ranges across worlds, both living and dead.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:47 pm

Clive Owen as Asriel, dammit! Or Terrence Stamp.
Blanchett / Swinton / Jolie as Mrs. Coulter.
Gillian Anderson as Mary Malone.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:53 pm

For a long time I have sung the praises of Timothy Dalton's performance of Asriel on the London Stage, he would be my first choice followed by a thought triggered by Flumm - Paddy Considine.

Blanchett for Coulter, knowing our luck it will be Zeta-Jones. (actually our luck would bring Douglas in as Asriel - NOOOOOoooooo!)
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby junsocko on Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:08 pm

dream cast:

nicole kidman---mrs. coulter
sean connery---john Faa
russel crowe----lord asriel
the guy that played "alfred" in the first batman (i forgot his name)----farder coram
michael clarke duncan----voice or Iorek
rowan atkinson (spl?)----voice of pantalaimon
the guy that plays J.J. jameson (again i cant recall his name)---Lee Scoresby

let me know what you think.
junsocko
GLIB

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:40 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Clive Owen as Asriel, dammit!

YES! Perfect! He was my favorite character in the trilogy (the one I
could most readily identify with, for good or for ill)... Owen would be
frikkin' perfect! I just wish we got to see more of the Intention Craft! I
can't wait to see it in the movie.

Oh, and apparently Nicole Kidman is a lock for Ms. Coulter. I think she's
a good choice.

I'm a little upset that they have to alter some things (the Church will now
likely be referred to as the Magisterium, and God will be referred to only
as the Authority), but I think the message is strong enough, and the
symbols strong enough that people will get exactly what Pullman is
talking about...

And hopefully, people will learn from it, understand who the real enemy
is, read the books, and abandon the monsterous evil that is the Church
forever!

LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC OF HEAVEN!!!

The end of Death!!! The end of the Authority!!!

And Dust forever free...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:32 am

junsocko wrote:dream cast:

nicole kidman---mrs. coulter

score one for socko.

junsocko wrote:russel crowe----lord asriel
let me know what you think.

Rumor is that Paul Bettany is being considered.

Give him a wig, and fuck yeah, I can see it.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:53 am

Bettany? Hmm he might be great, I always imagined someone bigger though, I know Bettany is tall but he's not exactly broad.

Kidman was someone I thought about but doglips suggestion of Blanchett got me thinking. After watching Truman Show and Guy X recently though, Natasha Mcellhone is my preferred choice.
TonyWilson

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:21 am

Yeah, I can definately see Kidman as Coulter, a nice choice, which I must admit made perfect sense when said by Junsocko. Failing that I would have gone with Anastasia...

Brian Blessed for Lord Asriel! Come on, bring him another glory hour, just like in Flash Gordon. Heh. As for Paul Bettany, he kinda looks the part in a Narnia sort of way, but this aint Narnia. I would be interested though to see how he handled the Punky Power of the role though if cast.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:10 am

Bettany I don't know much about, but he looks cool; that whole "lean and
hungry look" reminscent of Cassius from Shakespere's Julius Ceaser...

"Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much: such men are dangerous ..."

Doesn't that feel like Asriel? He rules! A man after my own heart; rebelling
against the Authority by any means necessary...

And Kidman is, imho, perfect; she's milf-tastic, gorgeous, and has a
crafty look about her; the thinness of her face, the sharp, tiny nose and
piercing, mischievious eyes; liar's eyes; I think she's perfect...

This Dakota girl I know nothing about, though. I hope she's a good Lyra.

One of the great things about this project is that the controversy behind
it; the anti-Church message is going to give it all the advertisement it
needs! The anti-Narnia! Bringing truth to the brainwashed masses...
Peoples is going to be freaking out! Picketing the movie theatres, crying,
wailing, nashing teeth. I can't wait! A perfect film to help celebrate the
Big Backlash against the ultra-right-wing relgious nuts currently clogging
up the collective mindhole of modern society with their craziness...

It doesn't even matter that they have to change the name of the Church
to the Magisterium, or God to the Authority! The symbols are there, the
books are there, and the Church has already gone on record denouncing
its "blasphemy" (aka truth).

I! Can't! Wait!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:10 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:And Kidman is, imho, perfect; she's milf-tastic, gorgeous, and has a

well, i haven't read the books, so i have no opinion on whether she is right for that particular role, i DO have an opinion about Kidman's "milf-tastic" status, which imo is practically non-existent. 10 years ago, sure, but now? she just looks scary. too thin and bony, her face nothing but harsh rigid lines that resemble that of a bitter old woman more than that of an alluring attractive chick.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:10 pm

Peven wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:And Kidman is, imho, perfect; she's milf-tastic, gorgeous, and has a

well, i haven't read the books, so i have no opinion on whether she is right for that particular role, i DO have an opinion about Kidman's "milf-tastic" status, which imo is practically non-existent. 10 years ago, sure, but now? she just looks scary. too thin and bony, her face nothing but harsh rigid lines that resemble that of a bitter old woman more than that of an alluring attractive chick.

Haven't you just defined the perfect domination milf? I love the way MILF is an anagram of film...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby doglips on Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:19 pm

Bettany, seriously?? Can't see it myself, he's not old enough is he? I always pictured Asriel to be 55-60.

Please don't let it be Kidman.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:41 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Bettany, seriously?? Can't see it myself, he's not old enough is he? I always pictured Asriel to be 55-60.

I think it has already been confirmed as Kidman, mate. Sorry I can see why you are so against it now.

And Asriel needs some real authority. Bettany is too much of an unknown and WAAAAY to young like you say.

Ian McShane? Am I just being silly?
Peter Fonda? Ok I'm going leftfield here.
TonyWilson

Postby doglips on Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:47 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:Bettany, seriously?? Can't see it myself, he's not old enough is he? I always pictured Asriel to be 55-60.

I think it has already been confirmed as Kidman, mate. Sorry I can see why you are so against it now.

And Asriel needs some real authority. Bettany is too much of an unknown and WAAAAY to young like you say.

Ian McShane? Am I just being silly?
Peter Fonda? Ok I'm going leftfield here.

IMDB says Kidman is still in talks, ditto Bettany.

Bettany I could live with after looking at his pic, he could look a lot older with make-up. Peter Fonda - GREAT suggestion.

If Kidman gets it, well done to her, but I will cry.

EDIT - just seen the main page story - I'm crying.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby lyra belacqua on Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:25 pm

Kidman is fine, maybe not perfect, but she's a name and a film like this needs that.

Bettany is an awesome actor, but I don't see him for the role. His age is okay, it's his lily-whiteness that doesn't work for me. I need Asriel to be gruff and dark and mean in his looks. His suits and other physical trappings should look like they just barely reign him in.

I need to read my books again. And find some video of this Dakota chick. I want to see her physicality, so I can imagine her in MY role.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Next

Return to Movie Discussion