The Golden Compass (now with Reviews!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Golden God or Pyrite Pile?

No votes
5%
24%
5%
10%
5%
10%
10%
No votes
10%
God told me not to see this
24%

Total votes : 21

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 21, 2007 9:31 pm

Conroy420 wrote:What was all that talk about alternate dimension? Ours?

Ours, and many others.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Conroy420 on Mon May 21, 2007 9:38 pm

That's a large part of this series of books? Different dimensions?

Where's a 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' movie? It's a dense piece of work but dam, it would work as a movie.
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Mon May 21, 2007 10:02 pm

Gotta say, that looks pretty damn good. Like there might be some iconic images in there. Digging on the visual style. Mmm!

Thought the Rings bit at the start was totally unneccessary. The trailer (and probably the movie) stands on its own without the lame-o tie-in.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby magicmonkey on Mon May 21, 2007 10:10 pm

Peven wrote:new trailer just put up over at yahoo.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/thegoldencompass.html

Ringa ding ding.

Damn, that trailer just reminded me that the movie is gonna be entirely too short, I want to at least see a first two booksworth! :cry:
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon May 21, 2007 10:14 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:Yep, I just cried watching the damn trailer!

I cannot wait to see this movie. It'll have to horrible for me not to love it.

Yeah, inexplicably the shot of Lee and the polar bear made me a little emotional. Probably because Lee made me cry reading the book, he was just so kind and tough. I half hope they don't make it to The Amber Spyglass because I'll be a wreck.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue May 22, 2007 12:59 am

Man that is SUCH a farking computer bloody CARTOON at the end with that bear running along the snow. Very dissapointing. As is all the animal animation. Man, at the end of the day, it just does NOT look like real animals. It's that simple. Please finish this off properly, don't gimme another Aslan.

Apart from that it looks terrific. There is a hint in this trailer that the film WILL have an identity all of it's own and won't look like another LOTR or Narnia. It already shows a more fantastical setting then LOTR but more character, atmosphere and darkness than Narnia. Also that side angle camera shot of the ship (I miss the Cutty Sark!:cry:) - if there's more of this kind of thing in the film that is - shows a clever, free and uniquely fleeting style of photography and not too much of a standard style that LOTR had a lot of the time.

The actors look like they'll bring great class to it. I love the way that Eva Green's Witch just flies with such grace and has such a smooth even poetic movement. I dunno jack about Craig's character but from this trailer alone it looks like a commanding presence. Guess I'll have to read the book to find out what he's REALLY meant to be like to judge completely on his casting. I've heard nothing but great things about Dakota already. Heard she really cries her heart out on a farewell scene with a major blue screened character from someone that worked on the film.

I also love the way that the trailer doesn't bombard you with too many fast clips (I counted about only 68 of them once the beginning titles ended). Good as it shows there's still more to be seen and that the movie doesn't appear to go for the rapid cut cut cut edit style of films these days and will hopefully maintain an epic style, if the film obeys the trailer's delivery anyway.

Let's cross our fingers and hope the story's themes are successfully and clearly told in the movie's narrative and that Mori's fears that no one will understand these themes are not realised.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Logan5 on Tue May 22, 2007 3:46 am

GAAAD!

Just went to the official site and my hopes for seeing this movie in the theater was killed. When I chose swedish as my country some swedish frakkhead started to narrate the site. Goddammit I'm gonna kill someone if they frakking dubb the movie here. They didn't do it with Harry Potter but they did with Narnia for theater, so it could go either way. (Harry Potter is only dubbed on the DVD)

:evil:
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:37 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Man that is SUCH a farking computer bloody CARTOON at the end with that bear running along the snow. Very dissapointing. As is all the animal animation. Man, at the end of the day, it just does NOT look like real animals. It's that simple. Please finish this off properly, don't gimme another Aslan.

Apart from that it looks terrific. There is a hint in this trailer that the film WILL have an identity all of it's own and won't look like another LOTR or Narnia. It already shows a more fantastical setting then LOTR but more character, atmosphere and darkness than Narnia. Also that side angle camera shot of the ship (I miss the Cutty Sark!:cry:) - if there's more of this kind of thing in the film that is - shows a clever, free and uniquely fleeting style of photography and not too much of a standard style that LOTR had a lot of the time.

The actors look like they'll bring great class to it. I love the way that Eva Green's Witch just flies with such grace and has such a smooth even poetic movement. I dunno jack about Craig's character but from this trailer alone it looks like a commanding presence. Guess I'll have to read the book to find out what he's REALLY meant to be like to judge completely on his casting. I've heard nothing but great things about Dakota already. Heard she really cries her heart out on a farewell scene with a major blue screened character from someone that worked on the film.

I also love the way that the trailer doesn't bombard you with too many fast clips (I counted about only 68 of them once the beginning titles ended). Good as it shows there's still more to be seen and that the movie doesn't appear to go for the rapid cut cut cut edit style of films these days and will hopefully maintain an epic style, if the film obeys the trailer's delivery anyway.

Let's cross our fingers and hope the story's themes are successfully and clearly told in the movie's narrative and that Mori's fears that no one will understand these themes are not realised.

Seconded, Kirk. I've just seen the trailer and all looks promising except some of the animation; I don't know, it looks pretty amateurish to me.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:01 am

NEW QUICKTIME TRAILER!! 1080p version
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby lyra belacqua on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:40 pm

Oh, my fucking lord people.

The official site has the COMIC CON PREVIEW and I can honestly say that I am in fucking love with this movie already. Okay, well, I was already in love with it, but now I'm beginning to think that it might be way better than I expected. Way better. Along the lines of a-hairs-width-away-from-being-as-good-as-the-books better. (Because, really, movies are 99.99% of the time just "OK" when compared to their source books.) It's made me so geekily happy that I can barely form coherent thoughts, let alone full sentences. Pan in the hall. Let us go. I want an alethiometer. Sam Elliott. Eva *sigh*. Damn right he's got at contract with the child! I love heresy.

GO!!
WATCH!!!
ARMORED FUCKING POLAR BEARS!!!

http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby doglips on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:51 pm

Christ, they've really pulled it out of the bag now. I was fearing for this after the first trailer, but that preview is of great comfort. Seems pretty close to the book. Getting excited now, the effects seem a lot tighter, so by December this should look mighty pretty.
Finally we get to see some daemons, loved Pan turning white under the table.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:29 pm

See now, that Comic Con preview is informative/tells a story...
the trailers that are on Apple/quicktime trailers are really a jumbled mess.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:46 pm

GET THOSE FARKING CARTOON ANIMALS TO LOOK BLOODY REAL, WILL YAAA!!!!!!??????

Come OOOONNN!!!!! Computer animation at that budget should be able to get it sodding right by now!!! Otherwise don't bother making the film!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Zarles on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:51 pm

My daemon is a female jackal named Trina. Woot!
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:51 pm

Hope it looks more real than those in the film.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fawst on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:59 pm

Yah, that trailer they had attached to Harry Potter was ... odd. It looked like a movie full of really good visuals with some more bullshit prophecy stuff, an armored polar bear, airships, and Nicole Kidman in a sexy dress. That's all I took from it. Oh, yah, and Eva :)

But if a fan of the books is geeking over this, then I'm feeling more comfortable with it.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:01 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:GET THOSE FARKING CARTOON ANIMALS TO LOOK BLOODY REAL, WILL YAAA!!!!!!??????

I was afraid to say that...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:46 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:GET THOSE FARKING CARTOON ANIMALS TO LOOK BLOODY REAL, WILL YAAA!!!!!!??????

i'm not pleased with Iorek, but I don't mind the daemon's looking less than full flesh animal, as, well, they aren't, really.

The Golden Monkey looked decent up close, and I liked Pan and Roger's daemon transformation. Speaking of Roger, he really does look like a disheveled street urchin.

tempered enthusiasm.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Logan5 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:26 pm

OMFG! This looks just better and better. Most anticipated movie trilogy in a long time.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:30 pm

I think if that original trailer was guilty of anything it was guilty of being put out there too early - they clearly had very little by way of finished product to be putting up there on the screen. Its a post-production heavy film and the Comic-Con preview gives a much better feel - I have to say, I like it.

The Daemons don't look real? Shame - next thing you'll be telling me animals can't talk :roll:

..and damn your signature KCBC. Its horribly addictive - I just told myself "OK - see if you can find Professor Frink".

That's 20 minutes of my life I'm never getting back :twisted: :P :evil: :twisted: :!:
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:56 pm

Cheat, Doc -- save it, open it in your preferred viewer and blow it way up!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:01 pm

i used to have that poster, framed and everything.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:15 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:i used to have that poster, framed and everything.

until you traded it for some crack

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:22 pm

Peven wrote:

Before the rebuttal quickly consider this KCBC - that ^^ is one of only a handful of answers that would be acceptable :twisted:

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:23 pm

DennisMM wrote:Cheat, Doc -- save it, open it in your preferred viewer and blow it way up!

:D

Oh dear Lord - there goes the evening!!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:53 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:..and damn your signature KCBC. Its horribly addictive - I just told myself "OK - see if you can find Professor Frink".

That's 20 minutes of my life I'm never getting back :!:

Damn you Doc, after you said that, I had to look for Professor Frink too!

That's 2 hours of my life I'm never getting back...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:04 pm

Peven wrote:

which I then traded for your crack-whore moms.

don't get into crack-snaps with someone from Oakland, cuntry boy...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:59 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Peven wrote:

which I then traded for your crack-whore moms.

don't get into crack-snaps with someone from Oakland, cuntry boy...

i wasn't even talking about drugs either..... :P :lol:

plus, i thought you were from NY

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:03 am

After all this talk of Prof.Fink I decided to look for him too and spotted him right away :P :lol:
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:35 am

magicmonkey wrote:After all this talk of Prof.Fink I decided to look for him too and spotted him right away :P :lol:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:43 am

Damn you all!!!

I can't see a fucking sailboat anywhere in the picture!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Peven on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:42 pm

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:21 am

As usual there's too much in the trailer, but then I've read the book so I know what it all is. I do like the introduction to it all at the start. I think Weitz pulled it off. I can't wait to see it.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:59 am

Chris Weitz wrote:Dear fans of His Dark Materials,

For the past three years I (and a gigantic cast and crew of fans of the books) have been working to adapt The Golden Compass (aka Northern Lights). As you can imagine, the process can be both exhausting and exhilarating, and full of both challenges and surprises. Sometimes you discover reasons to modify the chronology or narrative path of the books in a way that serves the movie and the trilogy better.

I have decided, along with Scholastic and New Line and, most importantly, Philip Pullman, to shift the concluding three chapters of Book I of His Dark Materials to the beginning of the second film of our trilogy, The Subtle Knife.

To me, this provides the most promising conclusion to the first film and the best possible beginning to the second.

It has always been my main concern to portray Lyra's world and her adventures with integrity. Throughout this process I have been in close contact with Philip Pullman; and I would not be doing this without his approval. As Philip has said, His Dark Materials is not three stories but one story - the story of Lyra. And where we pause to take a breath in the telling of it is a matter of choice and taste. But I hope that when fans see the film they will find their fears put to rest and their hopes fulfilled. For the film to be judged on its own merits is all that I can ask for.

Many thanks for your time. I believe you will find The Golden Compass a fit tribute to His Dark Materials when it comes out in December; and in the meanwhile promise to work diligently on burnishing its details and providing a solid footing for the launch of The Subtle Knife.

Very Best

Chris Weitz

Posted today on HisDarkMaterials.org and Filmick - I can't absolutely guarantee it's true.

If you've read the books you would realise that this is a very significant to the story, and I'm just thinking now about the rationale behind it - probably something to do with having a downbeat ending that's inconclusive, although that actually worked out pretty well for 'Fellowship of the Ring'.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:19 am

man, isn't McKellen a bit too thin and non-hirsute to be a bear?

:roll: *

loved the way he's dropped his voice though, the deepest I've heard him do yet, maybe some chicanery going on there, but that's even better than what I heard in my head. Cannot be more pleased that he's squaring off, voicewise at least, vs. McShane...who strikes me as more "bearish", but far less cuddly.

nice to see Tom Courtenay ("bah bah bah / bah bah bah" - crickey that's a killer Yo La Tengo track) getting some screentime to boot.

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I do like the introduction to it all at the start. I think Weitz pulled it off. I can't wait to see it.

while I'll co-sign on those latter two sentiments, I wasn't really feeling the voice of the narrator. Not British enough, but not quite the carny husker barker that gives bad trailers a kick.

Plus, how many times did they have to say "Golden Compass" early on?

WE KNOW ALREADY, IT'S THE NAME OF THE DAMN FILM!

wasn't feeling the trailer until the icy gentleman's "Give it to me" (this may be the perfect role for Kidman, Elliot was a no brainer for Lee. Kudos on the casting all around!) After that, while it gets a bit too epileptic edit-y, I'm officially jazzed.

JAZZED!

Everytime I hear "Magisterium", I just substitute "church". That also goes for "Magorium", but that's another movie altogether.

I'm guessing the lightshow on Craig's face at the end is when Roger bites it? Hardcore, at least they kept that.

*eye rolling your own bad jokes?
wave of the future, yo.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:40 am

Those little dragonfly-riding spies have turned up a bit early too...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby LaDracul on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:20 am

I personally think that Pullman might be pushing his own beliefs on the public. :( Then again, Nicole Kidman said that she wouldn't have done the film if she thought it was all anti-Catholic. So, (As I sadly say this) I will have to see what that Catholic newsletter my mom gets says about the film before I see it.

And the book...I couldn't finish it because they gave away the big reveal so soon, Mr. Pullman's beliefs, and the fact I got so damn bored.

However, I noticed they have a series of PEZ dispensers with the heads of the main Daemons in the film that's being sold at the store...that's pretty much cheapening things a bit... (Well, I can understand for "Bee Movie", but not for this.)
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:26 am

"pushing his beliefs on the public"? you mean he is forcing people to read his books, running some kind of Inquisition?

you know, movies are made to be enjoyed.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:07 pm

The first book is a little slow going. I still hope they make enough money so the second and third (the better books) are made as well.

The new trailer is cool. Im sure I might find it a little weird though if I hadnt read the book.

How is Pullman pushing his beliefs on anyone? You arent forced to see the movies or read the books?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:26 pm

I think the trailer looks incredible.

I haven't read the books though. :?
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:35 pm

Maui wrote:I think the trailer looks incredible.

I haven't read the books though. :?

Im finishing the third one now.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:46 pm

Christopher Lee is playing Lord Boreal / Sir Charles? that's some good casting right there...

The more I see the more it seems we're going to have quite a few elements from 'The Subtle Knife' appearing in the first film...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:50 pm

Well Sir Charles shows up in the first book too.

That is good casting though.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Peven on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:52 pm

tapehead wrote:The more I see the more it seems we're going to have quite a few elements from 'The Subtle Knife' appearing in the first film...

but didn't the director just recently say that they were leaving the last part of the "Golden Compass" for the second movie?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:52 pm

watch the trailer - you'll see what I mean.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:02 am

i haven't read the books, Tape. come on, its your job to get me up to speed on this shit, didn't someone tell you????

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:47 pm

Peven wrote:i haven't read the books, Tape. come on, its your job to get me up to speed on this shit, didn't someone tell you????

tapehead wrote:Those little dragonfly-riding spies have turned up a bit early too...

the books are really very good.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fawst on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:38 pm

Ok, I had a hard time figuring out where I should put this post. It's a combination of movie news, book ranting, and general bitching about spoilers. So, I will leave the link this is all in reference to til the end, in case you actually want to read what was written. I will start by saying that I haven't read the books, but I have a general idea of the story and the themes involved. There could be spoilers in this post (but nothing major, if any), so beware.

First off, there is a story on the foxnews.com website talking about how Christian groups are claiming that this film is a "stealth campaign" to promote atheism. Why? Because the anti-God/Religion themes have been removed from the film.

Isn't that a little backwards? Well, no. They claim that children will want to read the books after having seen the film, and that's where the trap is. When they read the books, they will then be confronted with those ideas, and obviously FREE THINKING is not something a child can understand. Children are expected to believe in an all-powerful, loving God who created everything, but doesn't (or does, which could be even more frightening) have control over what happens in our lives, but they aren't trusted with thinking for themselves. Ok, I'm with you so far :roll:

On the other side of things are atheists and fans of the book who think the studio caved to Christian pressure to remove it. Ok, I can see that as well.

So what's next? HOW ABOUT SPOILING THE FUCKING STORY. Not just the movie, oh noes, that would be too easy. They have to go and spoil the actual ending of the book trilogy. Now about this point is where I stopped reading the article, so I don't know if the writer went on to make a point, or if she just wanted to get her rocks off spoiling the damn thing.

If you want to read the whole thing for yourself, being forewarned that major spoilers are there, you can do so here.

I guess in the end, this is just a rant, but I thought I'd share. I can't STAND when people put out major spoilers without at least a fucking WARNING. I have been meaning to read these books for a while, and I thought that seeing the movie would be a good starting point. Now I'm debating if I should even bother, having been told what happens already. Fucking Fox...
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:43 pm

From the article Fawst posted (no spoliers)

Pullman has not been shy in the past about verbalizing his beliefs -- or, some might say, nonbeliefs -- and his intentions in writing the "Dark Materials" novels.

The novelist has said they are in response to C.S. Lewis' "The Chronicles of Narnia," the popular children's fantasy series of which "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is the first book, written by Lewis to teach Christian ideals to kids.

"I loathe the 'Narnia' books," Pullman has said in previous press interviews. "I hate them with a deep and bitter passion, with their view of childhood as a golden age from which sexuality and adulthood are a falling away." He has called the series "one of the most ugly and poisonous things" he's ever read.

So he thinks that Narnia is poison, so he writes the opposite and that's supposed to be better?

Interesting logic.

PS despite incurring the wrath ofour own Lyra, Fawst, save you time and read something else.... boring.as.hell.

<runs and hides>
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:13 pm

so sorry wrote:From the article Fawst posted (no spoliers)

Pullman has not been shy in the past about verbalizing his beliefs -- or, some might say, nonbeliefs -- and his intentions in writing the "Dark Materials" novels.

The novelist has said they are in response to C.S. Lewis' "The Chronicles of Narnia," the popular children's fantasy series of which "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is the first book, written by Lewis to teach Christian ideals to kids.

"I loathe the 'Narnia' books," Pullman has said in previous press interviews. "I hate them with a deep and bitter passion, with their view of childhood as a golden age from which sexuality and adulthood are a falling away." He has called the series "one of the most ugly and poisonous things" he's ever read.

So he thinks that Narnia is poison, so he writes the opposite and that's supposed to be better?

Interesting logic.

PS despite incurring the wrath of our own Lyra, Fawst, save you time and read something else.... boring.as.hell.

<runs and hides>

well, you know that the trilogy is like The Bible to ZZS, which always made me a little suspect of them... :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion