The Golden Compass (now with Reviews!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Golden God or Pyrite Pile?

No votes
5%
24%
5%
10%
5%
10%
10%
No votes
10%
God told me not to see this
24%

Total votes : 21

Postby LaDracul on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:39 pm

What a Catholic reviewer says about it.

So my verdict is MAYBE I'll see it. Maybe. Though I still say this Pullman guy is just pushing his ideals on people.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:59 pm

LaDracul wrote:What a Catholic reviewer says about it.

So my verdict is MAYBE I'll see it.

Stamped. Approved. Sealed for mass Catholic consumption. Tighter than an alter boy's....uhhh....fist.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:07 am

The religious themes of the later books may be more prominent in the follow-up films which Weitz has vowed will be less watered down.

If Subtle Knife and Amber Spyglass do hit the big screen - it will most certainly be almost impossible to shy away from the religious themes.
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:46 am

So my verdict is MAYBE I'll see it. Maybe. Though I still say this Pullman guy is just pushing his ideals on people.

Seriously LD, what's the difference between Pullman writing 'His Dark Materials' and CS Lewis Writing the 'Narnia' books? Everyone is informed by their own ideology, that's not to say the audience of a book of film can't think for themselves and accept or reject the content they find within, surely?

I think you should hold up on thinking anything about Pullman until you've actually read the books or seen the movies. That way, your opinion will be an informed one, right?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby judderman on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:32 am

CS Lewis had some weird ideas, particularly about Muslims and women, but on the whole the Narnia series expresses an ideology that is far more hopeful and inclusive than that expressed in HDM. HDM presents a universe for gnostics; elitist, intellectually pompous, and ultimately bitter and hateful. Pullman becomes so all-consumed with rage by the end of the series that it overwhelms whatever positive message he may have intended to convey. Lewis may have been condescending, but at least his message was one of compassion, rather than conflict.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby tapehead on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:34 am

Judderman, stop pushing your ideals on me.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:46 am

judderman wrote:HDM presents a universe for gnostics; elitist, intellectually pompous, and ultimately bitter and hateful. Pullman becomes so all-consumed with rage by the end of the series that it overwhelms whatever positive message he may have intended to convey.

yes, teen sex is all of those things, and so much more!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:28 am

tapehead wrote:

Seriously LD, what's the difference between Pullman writing 'His Dark Materials' and CS Lewis Writing the 'Narnia' books? Everyone is informed by their own ideology, that's not to say the audience of a book of film can't think for themselves and accept or reject the content they find within, surely?

I think you should hold up on thinking anything about Pullman until you've actually read the books or seen the movies. That way, your opinion will be an informed one, right?

i'm sure Dracul was out there protesting Mel Gibson pushing his ideals on people with "Passion of Christ" too, Tape. it isn't as if she isn't being inconsistent on this issue.....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Al Shut on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:05 am

Peven wrote:
tapehead wrote:

i'm sure Dracul was out there protesting Mel Gibson pushing his ideals on people with "Passion of Christ" too, Tape. it isn't as if she isn't being inconsistent on this issue.....

@ tapehead Since her opinion seems to be the central point in deciding if she wants to see he movie at all, waiting after seeing the movie to form it would be a bit pointless wouldn't it?

@ peven I thought 'Passion' was more expressing Gibsons believes and preaching to the choir. At least it wasn't intended for children.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Peven on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:18 am

are you kidding me, Al? churches were urging their members to take their whole family to see it, as if it were some sort of pilgrimage

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:27 am

judderman wrote:CS Lewis had some weird ideas, particularly about Muslims and women, but on the whole the Narnia series expresses an ideology that is far more hopeful and inclusive than that expressed in HDM. HDM presents a universe for gnostics; elitist, intellectually pompous, and ultimately bitter and hateful. Pullman becomes so all-consumed with rage by the end of the series that it overwhelms whatever positive message he may have intended to convey. Lewis may have been condescending, but at least his message was one of compassion, rather than conflict.

Oh my God, ahem, I mean authority, I mean........

In the words of Kansas, All we are is dust in the wind.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:34 am

Maui wrote:
judderman wrote:CS Lewis had some weird ideas, particularly about Muslims and women, but on the whole the Narnia series expresses an ideology that is far more hopeful and inclusive than that expressed in HDM. HDM presents a universe for gnostics; elitist, intellectually pompous, and ultimately bitter and hateful. Pullman becomes so all-consumed with rage by the end of the series that it overwhelms whatever positive message he may have intended to convey. Lewis may have been condescending, but at least his message was one of compassion, rather than conflict.

Oh my God, ahem, I mean authority, I mean........

In the words of Kansas, All we are is dust in the wind.

but dust is evil!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:08 pm

Peven wrote:are you kidding me, Al? churches were urging their members to take their whole family to see it, as if it were some sort of pilgrimage

At my work there was this huge debate sparked over religion. Some people didn't believe in evolution, you see. It got a little heated and at the end, had these two women running into the only Jewish guy's office (who is also a secular Jew, by the way), yelling "Didn't the Jews kill Christ? Didn't the Jews kill Christ??" Having not been a part of the argument up until that, needless to say he was rather taken aback :D

My point being, I suspect they might have been recent converts to the Mel Gibson school of theology. So you see, sometimes movies CAN mold minds!!!!!!

if those minds were weak to begin with....
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:48 pm

I've got a super idea - let's combine this thread with 'The God Thread' in the EFBR!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Al Shut on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:02 pm

Peven wrote:are you kidding me, Al? churches were urging their members to take their whole family to see it, as if it were some sort of pilgrimage

Stupid me, I forgot raings aren't binding in the US. BUt I'm still not sure it was the intention of the movie/Gibson. At least from the tiny bits of what I seam to remember about the release of that movie.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:05 pm

tapehead wrote:

Actually this is getting at the heart of the books, no? Pullman wants us to be informed intelligent individuals able to make our own choices.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:12 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
tapehead wrote:

Actually this is getting at the heart of the books, no? Pullman wants us to be informed intelligent individuals able to make our own choices.

Exactly SFG! Sorta like most things in life, you know?
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:20 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
tapehead wrote:

You can tell when he was writing he was thinking about the types of discussions we are having here and just reeling in agony on people insistence not to seek their own truths through knowledge. This doesnt really discount theisms per se but rather says you should make educated decisions and not just follow blindly.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby so sorry on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:42 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
tapehead wrote:

You can tell when he was writing he was thinking about the types of discussions we are having here and just reeling in agony on people insistence not to seek their own truths through knowledge. This doesnt really discount theisms per se but rather says you should make educated decisions and not just follow blindly.

This discussion is probably headed into a direction seperate from "Movie Rewiew". But I thought I'd chime in and politely disagree with both of you!
From everything I've read about Pullman, his intent wasn't to tell us to open our eyes to new ways of thinking about religion (as sfg suggests above).

He is (militantly?) athiest. He isn't just telling you to think for yourself, he's telling you that there is no god. Period. Read a few interviews with him and you'll find that he really looks down upon the mere thought of a higher being.
Now what this has to do with the movie... can't really say. I'm sure that its been watered down to the point where his raving anti-religious spin is almost inpercievable on film.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:46 pm

so sorry wrote:This discussion is probably headed into a direction seperate from "Movie Rewiew".

Yes... perhaps it would a be better served inna the "His Dark Materials" thread inna the Books forum, no? Please redirect a the conversation regarding a the Pullman's intent over to a there, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:49 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
so sorry wrote:This discussion is probably headed into a direction seperate from "Movie Rewiew".

Yes... perhaps it would a be better served inna the "His Dark Materials" thread inna the Books forum, no? Please redirect a the conversation regarding a the Pullman's intent over to a there, eh?

Dino, are you a mod or a mouse?!? What is this calm plea for reason nonsense? Delete these posts and send menacing PMs to all us godly/godless paisans! Then B4N Peven for sport.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:53 pm

DaleTremont wrote:Dino, are you a mod or a mouse?!? What is this calm plea for reason nonsense?

Well... 'tis IS a the season where a the men of a the good will try a to live inna peace onna earth anna all a that, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:53 pm

so sorry wrote:This discussion is probably headed into a direction seperate from "Movie Rewiew". But I thought I'd chime in and politely disagree with both of you!
From everything I've read about Pullman, his intent wasn't to tell us to open our eyes to new ways of thinking about religion (as sfg suggests above).

He is (militantly?) athiest. He isn't just telling you to think for yourself, he's telling you that there is no god. Period. Read a few interviews with him and you'll find that he really looks down upon the mere thought of a higher being.
Now what this has to do with the movie... can't really say. I'm sure that its been watered down to the point where his raving anti-religious spin is almost inpercievable on film.

I wasn't saying he believed that or didnt mean to imply it anyway. I just meant to say that the idea of seeking knowledge and understanding for yourself can coexist with a belief in an "authority."

He does get into stating the ideas you say in the later books, but again I felt like the main theme was the one i presented. Or the one I latched onto the most anyway.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:53 pm

DaleTremont wrote:Dino, are you a mod or a mouse?!? What is this calm plea for reason nonsense? Delete these posts and send menacing PMs to all us godly/godless paisans! Then B4N Peven for sport.

She makes several good points, Dino...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:56 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I wasn't saying he believed that or didnt mean to imply it anyway. I just meant to say that the idea of seeking knowledge and understanding for yourself can coexist with a belief in an "authority."

He does get into stating the ideas you say in the later books, but again I felt like the main theme was the one i presented. Or the one I latched onto the most anyway.

YOU GODDAMN PUTZ!!! What part of a the "take it over to a the goddamn Books forum" donna you unna'derstand, eh? The Dino, he SCOLD a you like a the goddamn putz that a you are!!

(Like a that, Dale?)
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:59 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
stereosforgee ks wrote:I wasn't saying he believed that or didnt mean to imply it anyway. I just meant to say that the idea of seeking knowledge and understanding for yourself can coexist with a belief in an "authority."

YOU GODDAMN PUTZ!!! What part of a the "take it over to a the goddamn Books forum" donna you unna'derstand, eh? The Dino, he SCOLD a you like a the goddamn putz that a you are!!

(Like a that, Dale?)

I appreciate the chutzpah. You're gettin' there. Bonk him over the head with your cane next time though. You're not an ornery old man till you've bonked people over the head with your cane.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:03 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
stereosforgee ks wrote:I wasn't saying he believed that or didnt mean to imply it anyway. I just meant to say that the idea of seeking knowledge and understanding for yourself can coexist with a belief in an "authority."

(Like a that, Dale?)

Awww I was already typing it.

Next time you scold me I will kick out the cane from beneath your hand and push you over. I have no problem putting the foagies in their place.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:07 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I have no problem putting the foagies in their place.

Yes, yes... we know, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:14 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:I have no problem putting the foagies in their place.

Yes, yes... we know, eh?

He asked for it. Those things are always edited to make it look worse than it was.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:46 pm

so sorry wrote: I'm sure that its been watered down to the point where his raving anti-religious spin is almost inpercievable on film.

That would be a very accurate statement.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:29 pm

My review is still forthcoming but in the meantime here's a Wired article about the flick. There are related links on the left.

"Weitz, a self-described "lapsed-Catholic crypto-Buddhist," says, "People are going to get at me for taking the religion out of His Dark Materials, but they'll be wrong. Some fans probably see it as a massive wimp-out, but I see it as broadening what the film is about. I had conversations with Pullman about this, and as far as he's concerned, his story is a statement against dogmatic authority of any kind."
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:11 pm

Al_Shut wrote:@ tapehead Since her opinion seems to be the central point in deciding if she wants to see he movie at all, waiting after seeing the movie to form it would be a bit pointless wouldn't it?

It would - perhaps sharing her opinion with others repeatedly might wait until after that, at least.

Tyrone_Shoelaces paraphrasing the film's director wrote:I had conversations with Pullman about this, and as far as he's concerned, his story is a statement against dogmatic authority of any kind."

Yes.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:45 pm

tapehead wrote:
Al_Shut wrote:@ tapehead Since her opinion seems to be the central point in deciding if she wants to see he movie at all, waiting after seeing the movie to form it would be a bit pointless wouldn't it?

It would - perhaps sharing her opinion with others repeatedly might wait until after that, at least.

I think it is an amusing strategy: walk into a thread - post one very crass and definite statement -then walk out again -never engaging in the discussion that ensues. And then- when the discussion has died down - to repost the very same statement again - and disappear once more! :D

That way- we can certainly all live on in good holiday spirit -because there really is no exchange of ideas to speak of, right?

Still- it seems that the ideology (or lack of it) is central to the content of the movie. So it's bound to be discussed here a little, isn't it? Over a very friendly glass of egg-nogg, perhaps?
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:47 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:Still- it seems that the ideology (or lack of it) is central to the content of the movie. So it's bound to be discussed here a little, isn't it? Over a very friendly glass of egg-nogg, perhaps?

Did I hear mention of Eggnogg?
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:50 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:
tapehead wrote:

I think it is an amusing strategy: walk into a thread - post one very crass and definite statement -then walk out again -never engaging in the discussion that ensues. And then- when the discussion has died down - to repost the very same statement again - and disappear once more! :D

That way- we can certainly all live on in good holiday spirit -because there really is no exchange of ideas to speak of, right?

Still- it seems that the ideology (or lack of it) is central to the content of the movie. So it's bound to be discussed here a little, isn't it? Over a very friendly glass of egg-nogg, perhaps?

Hey, it kick-started nearly a page worth of clever, insightful discussion the first time around.

So...

give me some of that egg-nogg.
Last edited by tapehead on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:51 pm

Maui wrote:
Dee E. Goppstober wrote:Still- it seems that the ideology (or lack of it) is central to the content of the movie. So it's bound to be discussed here a little, isn't it? Over a very friendly glass of egg-nogg, perhaps?

Dee meant the naughty eggnog.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:51 pm

Maui wrote:Did I hear mention of Eggnogg?

One for you and one for me!

Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:52 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Dee meant the naughty eggnog.

Pull your head out of the gutter SFG!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:53 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Dee meant the naughty eggnog.

Pull your head out of the gutter SFG!!!

A little vanilla vodka and some spiced rum makes for a fun holiday treat. Yummmm.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:54 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:

I'll feel a little like a Danish cartoonist now - but speaking of dirty egg nog -you mean something like this?

Last edited by Dee E. Goppstober on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:57 pm

Was their breast feeding in The Golden Compass? ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:58 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:

I'll feel a little like a Danish cartoonist now - but speaking of dirty egg nog -you mean something like this?

Threadkiller: The mantle passes from papa to Dee.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:59 pm

That kid sure looks happy.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:01 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:That kid sure looks happy.

If you found a woman who's breasts produced an alcoholic beverage wouldn't you be happy?

I might have to post in the turn on thread now, hahahahahaha.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:03 pm

TonyWilson wrote:

If you found a woman who's breasts produced an alcoholic beverage wouldn't you be happy?

So - there you go -that's why we all love boozing!

But, so... uhm... what about those CGI animals, huh?
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:04 pm

TonyWilson wrote:

I might have to post in the turn on thread now, hahahahahaha.

Thatd be the be like the best find ever.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:05 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:

So - there you go -that's why we all love boozing!

But, so... uhm... what about those CGI animals, huh?

Hahahah, *cough*, yeh um those Polar Bears look pretty fake.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:21 pm

The best CGI animal, by far, was Pan. His various transformations were quite brilliant.

The mechanical spies (they look like 2 golden crickets) that Mrs. Coultier sent to find Lyra are kinda nifty.

The polar bears - all I can say is the fight at the end was quite good and a close match to the fight in the book (remember there's a PG13 rating so no blood here).
Last edited by Maui on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maui
WoWie

Postby thomasgaffney on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:56 am

Just saw this tonight. I don't really know how I feel about the film. Here are a couple of things about it.....

I was afraid of how much they messed with the story to take out the religion. But unless you went into it knowing the magisterium was the church and the authority is god, nothing in the movie comes out and explicitly says so. The hints at it would go over the heads of most children and people not looking for the connection. And other than intentionally leaving dust unexplained, the story wasn't changed that much at all, in THAT regard. Other than the plot devices they sped up to fit everything in a 2 hour movie, almost everything was intact.

Everything form the beginning up until the giant battle outside the experimental facility at Svalbard was fantastic in my opinion. As well as could be expected and just like I pictured when reading the book.

Then, after the battle, Lyra, Iorek, Lee, and Roger went looking for Lord Asriel and the MOVIE FUCKING ENDED!!!!! WTF?!? Talk about ruining a good movie by cutting off the goddamn ending. Angered me to no end... I'm going to have to rethink my opinion after I've slept on it, but they butchered the ending big time.

EDIT - I gave it a 7. It was probably a 9 until they end.....
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:26 am

I read an article in EW where the director stated that he had filmed the book's ending but then decided to end on an upbeat note so he rewrote the ending and hopes to put the filmed ending as the beginning of the next movie.

Hmmm.

I've never read the books, but this seems all kinds of wacky to me.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion