Official X-Men: The Last Stand Review Thread [SPOILERS!]

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate X-Men: The Last Stand?

3%
3%
17%
23%
16%
10%
8%
6%
3%
4%
I will not be seeing this/I am waiting for DVD
5%

Total votes : 115

Postby Shane on Wed May 31, 2006 1:20 pm

Am I the only one that liked Phoenix in the movie?

Space aliens and giant birds would have put it way too over the top.

I loved how she was handled.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed May 31, 2006 1:40 pm

Shane wrote:Am I the only one that liked Phoenix in the movie?

No, I actually liked it quite a bit. Some have complained that she turns into a character from a silent movie, but I see it as her Hulk-like Phoenix persona taking over. I like that the Phoenix is the next stage in evolution, or that it's just a fucking far-out mutation, that it's too much power to control.

All that said, I would've liked me at least one flaming bird. We're given glimpses of it in Jean all throughout X2 and one splashy payoff would've helped greatly.

Also, in the ideal world, it would've been Cyclops talking Jean down at the end. Obviously, making Wolverine the center of the franchise means you need the showdown to be between those two, but Cyclops is Jean's one, true love, not Wolverine. He's dangerous and mysterious and all that, but Cyclops is the one you make a life with. Cyclops is the one she speaks to from beyond the grave.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby TonyWilson on Wed May 31, 2006 1:46 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:

No, I actually liked it quite a bit. Some have complained that she turns into a character from a silent movie, but I see it as her Hulk-like Phoenix persona taking over. I like that the Phoenix is the next stage in evolution, or that it's just a fucking far-out mutation, that it's too much power to control.

All that said, I would've liked me at least one flaming bird. We're given glimpses of it in Jean all throughout X2 and one splashy payoff would've helped greatly.

Also, in the ideal world, it would've been Cyclops talking Jean down at the end. Obviously, making Wolverine the center of the franchise means you need the showdown to be between those two, but Cyclops is Jean's one, true love, not Wolverine. He's dangerous and mysterious and all that, but Cyclops is the one you make a life with. Cyclops is the one she speaks to from beyond the grave.

Ah, jealousy.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed May 31, 2006 1:49 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Ah, jealousy.

:cry:

It should have been me...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Brocktune on Wed May 31, 2006 2:17 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:SPOILERS

DennisMM wrote:Yo, SPOILERS!

MasterWhedon wrote:MASSIVE MYSTIQUE SPOILERS

Shane wrote:Almost everything I'll type is

spoilers

MasterWhedon wrote:SPOILERS TREAD IN THIS REALM!!

MasterWhedon wrote:BIG RED SPOILER WARNING!!

MasterWhedon wrote:BIG RED LETTERS MEANS ONLY ONE THING...

MasterWhedon wrote:SPOILERS!!

Lord Voldemoo wrote:MORE SPOILERS

MasterWhedon wrote:SPOILERAGE

Brocktune wrote:SPOILERS AHOY!

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
MORE SPOILERS. IN FACT, IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE JUST LEAVE THE THREAD NOW.

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:SPOILERAGE ALL UP IN THE ZONEHOLE

MasterWhedon wrote:ALL SPOILERED UP IN THIS PIECE

MasterWhedon wrote:GIGANTIC LORD VOLDEMOO SPOILERS!!

MasterWhedon wrote:SPOILERIN' LIKE WHOA

im fuckin dying over here.
maybe its the weed, but i find the dubious and unnecessary overuse of the spoiler warnings fucking hilarious.
gigantic lord voldemoo spoilers hahahahahaha.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed May 31, 2006 2:20 pm

If you are going to have her in the film at all, she was handled in the only way they could, given that X1, X2 and X3 have all attempted to retain some "real world" flavor.

I just wish Phoenix hadn't been in the film at all...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed May 31, 2006 2:22 pm

Brocktune wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:GIGANTIC LORD VOLDEMOO SPOILERS!!

gigantic lord voldemoo spoilers hahahahahaha.

There goes my biopic...fuck!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed May 31, 2006 2:23 pm

But doesn't Cyclops initially marry some chick named Madelyne after
Phoenix dies in outer space blowing up various galaxies while the XMen,
hapless, fly along with their supremely dorky space mates, the
Starjammers??? And doesn't Wolverine go to Japan and pretend he's a
samuraii long enough to fall in love with a Japanese woman who he is
fated to rejoin as a matter of honor???

At least thats the way it was in the 80s. Call me a blasphemer, but I'm
glad they rewrote the basics to fit the movieverse. And lets face it,
Wolverine is sexier than Cyclops (sorry MW, but you know its true).
Besides, doesn't Cyclops get with Emma Frost? She's smokin' hot!
I mean, for a cuckold and a guy whos lost like 17 different wives, he
sure gets with some mighty fine (and only slightly evil) superladies.

In all seriously, I'm of the mind that as much as I love the source
material, the X3 Phoenix is not only as good as the comic, it's better.
I mean, the "Starjammers"? Are you kiddin' me? That is supremely
ALF.

I would have liked to see the firebird, sure, but Phoenix as super psychic
sex witch vampire goddess was aces!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed May 31, 2006 2:39 pm

THIS ONE'S FOR BROCKTUNE!!

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:But doesn't Cyclops initially marry some chick named Madelyne after
Phoenix dies in outer space blowing up various galaxies while the XMen,
hapless, fly along with their supremely dorky space mates, the
Starjammers??? And doesn't Wolverine go to Japan and pretend he's a
samuraii long enough to fall in love with a Japanese woman who he is
fated to rejoin as a matter of honor???

At least thats the way it was in the 80s. Call me a blasphemer, but I'm
glad they rewrote the basics to fit the movieverse. And lets face it,
Wolverine is sexier than Cyclops (sorry MW, but you know its true).
Besides, doesn't Cyclops get with Emma Frost? She's smokin' hot!
I mean, for a cuckold and a guy whos lost like 17 different wives, he
sure gets with some mighty fine (and only slightly evil) superladies.

In all seriously, I'm of the mind that as much as I love the source
material, the X3 Phoenix is not only as good as the comic, it's better.
I mean, the "Starjammers"? Are you kiddin' me? That is supremely
ALF.

I would have liked to see the firebird, sure, but Phoenix as super psychic
sex witch vampire goddess was aces!

Oh, Zombie... You slay me...

Yes, I'm a fan of a more Earthbound Phoenix. I like the idea that it's latent power in Jean that needs to be controlled, mostly because it was a nice vehicle for bringing out some of the darker shades of Professor Xavier.

I also like the fact that Cyclops was lost the way he was, as it really does work FOR THIS SERIES OF FILMS. That's not to say it couldn't be done better. While the comic history of his marriages/relationships HAS been a little whacky (though actually rather interesting), I think at it's core it's always been about Cyclops and Jean, with Wolverine as the guy that occasionally catches her eye.

Not saying I don't like how the films handled it, just that I would've done it a little differently were it me.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 31, 2006 8:14 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:get that man the Cure!!

How is Robert Smith going to help him?

Leckomaniac wrote:DAMN IT! My cure joke got left behind on the other page.

AH, you are big on embarassment aren't you?

HAHAHA!! Had to go back and look, but it was worthwhile.

When I wrote that...I laughed out loud. I was hoping someone would get a kick out of it as well. Thanks for bringing it back from the dead (or at least the other page) MW!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed May 31, 2006 8:18 pm

Just back from seeing it. I had a coherent review, but the sugar rush of my Slurpee is gone, and my brainier thoughts with it. Besides, I imagine everyone has already said it.

It was no X2, which is definitely the stand-out of the series. :? I hate when films feel like a summing up and this did. Get rid of Cyclops--check. Get rid of Professor X, check.

I disagree with EW, et.al that the drama of the vaccine was lost within explosions and action sequences. I actually thought the implications came through pretty well. But the film lacked emotion where it needed it--particularly the deaths.

When I heard some X-Men were going to die in this one, I imagined them giving up their lives in some massive battle--not these paltry, practically off-screen exits. Cyclops deserved better, though I guess there are worse ways to go than making out with Jean Grey.

Jean Grey got some cool Phoenix sequences, but she mostly just got to stand there and look forbidding...how disappointing.

Storm was finally the Storm I always thought was so kick-ass, power-wise...but because I hate Halle Berry so much, it just didn't make all the disappointment go away.

I've always hated Anna Paquin as Rogue, so I didn't complain that she exited stage left. I dislike Paquin period and it gives me a wicked joy to see her losing her looks. I wasn't at all surprised when she took the cure--when I overheard some mutants did, I knew she would be one of them. I was surprised she was the only one, however.

Bring on the Wolverine spin-off. It never matters how disappointing the film is, Jackman always steals it. Fangirl wise, I wanted to see his belt whip off again. ;) And I thought his show-down with Phoenix was pretty cool, even if my sister did poo-poo it as identical to the ending of "Van Helsing."

But how amazing that despite his skin tearing off from the force of her power, Wolverine can keep his pants on! "Jean...don't....tear...my...pants...PG-13, Jean....must...keep...rating!!"
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Vegeta on Wed May 31, 2006 8:28 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Just back from seeing it. I had a coherent review, but the sugar rush of my Slurpee is gone, and my brainier thoughts with it. Besides, I imagine everyone has already said it.

It was no X2, which is definitely the stand-out of the series. :? I hate when films feel like a summing up and this did. Get rid of Cyclops--check. Get rid of Professor X, check.

I disagree with EW, et.al that the drama of the vaccine was lost within explosions and action sequences. I actually thought the implications came through pretty well. But the film lacked emotion where it needed it--particularly the deaths.

When I heard some X-Men were going to die in this one, I imagined them giving up their lives in some massive battle--not these paltry, practically off-screen exits. Cyclops deserved better, though I guess there are worse ways to go than making out with Jean Grey.

Jean Grey got some cool Phoenix sequences, but she mostly just got to stand there and look forbidding...how disappointing.

Storm was finally the Storm I always thought was so kick-ass, power-wise...but because I hate Halle Berry so much, it just didn't make all the disappointment go away.

I've always hated Anna Paquin as Rogue, so I didn't complain that she exited stage left. I dislike Paquin period and it gives me a wicked joy to see her losing her looks. I wasn't at all surprised when she took the cure--when I overheard some mutants did, I knew she would be one of them. I was surprised she was the only one, however.

Bring on the Wolverine spin-off. It never matters how disappointing the film is, Jackman always steals it. Fangirl wise, I wanted to see his belt whip off again. ;) And I thought his show-down with Phoenix was pretty cool, even if my sister did poo-poo it as identical to the ending of "Van Helsing."

But how amazing that despite his skin tearing off from the force of her power, Wolverine can keep his pants on! "Jean...don't....tear...my...pants...PG-13, Jean....must...keep...rating!!"

That is a fair review, so, Lady Sheridan, how do you score this film?
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed May 31, 2006 8:37 pm

Vegeta wrote:
That is a fair review, so, Lady Sheridan, how do you score this film?

I give it a 6.

There are worse ways to spend your summer afternoon. And the action sequences are pretty cool--who can resist the Golden Gate bridge being relocated? I mean, really?
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Vegeta on Wed May 31, 2006 8:47 pm

That makes sense, from reading your review I wasn't completly sure if you liked it or not. A salt and pepper, 50/50ish makes sense. Well at least it's slightly positive. Myself I enjoyed the heck out of it, but I am not a huge fan of X1 anyways... too much intro, not enough action. If I ordered them out (for me) in order:
3) X1
2) X3 (a very, very close second)
1) X2

or (according to MasterWhedon)

X1 = 5
X3 = 8
X2 = 8.5
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed May 31, 2006 8:53 pm

Vegeta wrote:or (according to MasterWhedon)

X1 = 5
X3 = 8
X2 = 8.5

I DON'T ALLOW FOR FOR HALF-POINTS!!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 31, 2006 8:53 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:

X1 = 5
X3 = 8
X2 = 8.5

ZACKT??
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed May 31, 2006 8:57 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:ZACKT??

My visor's in the shop. If I took off my glasses, I'd probably take out half the Zone, and correcting a half-point mistake isn't worth that kind of tragedy.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Vegeta on Wed May 31, 2006 8:58 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:

X1 = 5
X3 = 8
X2 = 8.5

ZACKT??

:shock:

Fine 9, you stickler's for details :roll:
Last edited by Vegeta on Wed May 31, 2006 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 31, 2006 8:59 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:ZACKT??

My visor's in the shop. If I took off my glasses, I'd probably take out half the Zone, and correcting a half-point mistake isn't worth that kind of tragedy.

You're a true leader.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed May 31, 2006 9:38 pm

Vegeta wrote:That makes sense, from reading your review I wasn't completly sure if you liked it or not. A salt and pepper, 50/50ish makes sense. Well at least it's slightly positive.

Yeah, I came off a little more negatively than I intended to. I wasn't a fan of X1 either and it was definitely better than that. (If only for less Rogue. Thank you, Ratner!)

I really liked the action in this one--I thought Wolverine's fight in the forest was well done. Call me sadistic, but I always like when he's kicking serious ass and then enter Magneto...and you're reminded that sometimes it really does suck to have an adamantium skeleton.

I disagreed with Harry that Wolverine was reduced to a punchline. I thought it was a good balance of humanity and cockiness, a mature Wolverine. Like everyone, I want to see the psycho Wolverine onscreen someday, but I think Jackman and the writers have done a good job so far.

I liked the nod at the end about Magneto's powers returning...I think it's entirely plausible his powers (and those of other mutants) could return, and others, like Rogue, could not.

I really wanted to see more Jean Grey. When she really got a chance to shine, she was all creepy and torn. The scene between her and Wolverine was well acted, well-written. I wanted to see more of that kind of thing. If there's one thing the entire series has lacked, it's strength and depth in the female members of the X-Men. This was pretty close, though.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Vegeta on Wed May 31, 2006 9:52 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
Vegeta wrote:That makes sense, from reading your review I wasn't completly sure if you liked it or not. A salt and pepper, 50/50ish makes sense. Well at least it's slightly positive.

Yeah, I came off a little more negatively than I intended to. I wasn't a fan of X1 either and it was definitely better than that. (If only for less Rogue. Thank you, Ratner!)

I really liked the action in this one--I thought Wolverine's fight in the forest was well done. Call me sadistic, but I always like when he's kicking serious ass and then enter Magneto...and you're reminded that sometimes it really does suck to have an adamantium skeleton.

I disagreed with Grande Rojo that Wolverine was reduced to a punchline. I thought it was a good balance of humanity and cockiness, a mature Wolverine. Like everyone, I want to see the psycho Wolverine onscreen someday, but I think Jackman and the writers have done a good job so far.

I liked the nod at the end about Magneto's powers returning...I think it's entirely plausible his powers (and those of other mutants) could return, and others, like Rogue, could not.

I really wanted to see more Jean Grey. When she really got a chance to shine, she was all creepy and torn. The scene between her and Wolverine was well acted, well-written. I wanted to see more of that kind of thing. If there's one thing the entire series has lacked, it's strength and depth in the female members of the X-Men. This was pretty close, though.

I will say I could of standed for a slightly more expanded X3 (maybe 20 more minutes throughout), but I was pretty happy with what we got. Literally, we got the first full on action sequence yet in X-Men. X1 = Good Mutants vs. lame mutants (mostly), really Toad and a pussy Sabre-tooth?
X2 = All mutants, more or less, against humans? Boo.
X3 = Full on assault vs. full on defense? You can definetly question execution, but scope? Much more aggresive than the previous two.
Sure, losts missing, but I can't bitch too much, I was pretty satisfied with the result.

To each their own in the end I guess, but a good ride regardless...
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:04 am

Okay, the moment you've all been waiting for . . .

RogueScribner's X-Men: The Last Stand Review!

No spoiler warning from me. Anyone reading this far into the thread who hasn't seen the movie yet deserves to be spoiled.

Okay, on with the review . . .

I've spent the past few days combing through this thread trying to gauge how well people are receiving this film. For months we've heard how much this movie was going to suck, some of it attributed to Brett Ratner, some of it not, but the general idea was that there were controversial bits in the script and the rushed production helmed by a newbie to the series certainly wasn't going to help anything. That Tonight Show clip was underwhelming to say the least, but the trailer was pretty good, but then there were odd bits in that 7 minutes of footage that Fox aired, but then so many people reacted positively in this very thread, but some didn't, so in all, I didn't really know what to expect going into this movie. I will tell you that I did go in hoping to have a good experience, hoping to be pleasantly surprised, hoping that this movie was a fitting end to the series.

Acting-wise, everyone did a good job overall, especially Ian McKellan and Hugh Jackman. I wish Patrick Stewart, James Marsden, and Anna Paquin were given more to do, but what they did was good. Famke Jannsen did okay, but she didn't really have a lot to do outside of looking stoic or weepy. Ben Foster . . . whatever. Ellen Page . . . meh. Vinnie Jones . . . okay. Aaron Stanford . . . I don't know if I should complain about his portrayal of Pyro or not. I guess you can only work with what you're given. Shawn Ashmore did okay. Rebecca Romijn was good as always . . . and I curse this movie for being PG-13! :P Halle Berry . . . Storm as a character was better overall, but something still rubbed me the wrong way about Halle. I can't really put my finger on it. I dunno.

I dug the grey area they explored with Xavier and I wish he was in the film a bit more than he was before he got offed. But what was there was gold. Wolverine was Wolverine, but I'm glad he had the balls to do the right thing, even if it meant doing the wrong thing first. Storm was more interesting action-wise, but whenever she had to speechify I wanted to tune her out. There was so little Rogue, which I lament, because I loved the Wolverine/Rogue relationship in the first film and I wish more of that was played up in the sequels. She was relegated to the background in this one. Kitty Pride wasn't in the movie enough for me to think much of anything about her. She only had two real scenes: one with Bobby and one with Juggernaut. They both served their purpose, but there was nothing special about them or her. I know Mystique was probably pissed at Magneto, but I'm not sure if I buy her betrayal. Not after her conversation with Nightcrawler in the last movie. Did I mention what a waste of space Angel was? I'm still trying to figure out why he was in the movie. And his appearance at the end was laughable: he arrives just in time to save his dad and then fly away, never to be seen again! :lol: Cyclops deserved more than he got.

Storywise, I really dug the cure idea. I dug the ramifications it placed upon some characters. But I don't think the movie lived up to the idea. This movie could have been downright E P I C, but instead, it seemed just a bit restrained dramatically. Whenever it could have gone for the emotional or ethical weight, it'd slip in a joke or blow something up. I know ultimately this is a comic book movie, but the previous two were weighted in reality enough to make you care about what was going on and to make things seem viable and important. That weight was sorely missing from this movie. Certain scenes had some drama to them, but overall, where did we end up by the end of the movie? The ending seemed too convenient and the last two scenes seemed to undermine everything that had come before.

Then there's the second half of this tale: Dark Phoenix. Flashes of brilliance, but mostly boring. Why oh why whenever there was a great display of power did she not flame up? Why instead would she look like some zombie goth chick on her period? We hear talk of dual personalities, but where was the rage? The first half of the movie seemed pretty balanced between the cure line and the Phoenix line, but after Xavier's death, Jean doesn't do a damn thing until the very end. And as cool as her ending was, what did it ultimately amount to? Why was SHE in this movie? I guess the producers felt obligated to include her since she was alluded to in the last film, but if this was all they were going to do with her, I'd rather they simply left her dead and concentrated instead on the cure stuff.

I also think this movie could have stood to explore more ethical and dramatic things for the characters during the second act to flesh things out some more. It wouldn't have taken much; perhaps another five to ten minutes of screentime. It seems after Xavier's death the film just rushes headlong into the battle at Alcatraz. There's a bit of a middle missing, methinks.

So before my big final conclusion, I'll comment briefly on the direction of this film. Brett Ratner. Would he have been my first choice to helm this installment? Nope, not even close. Do I think he did a bad job? Nope, not even close. I disagree with those who say that if his name wasn't attached to this movie that we wouldn't have been able to tell it wasn't a Bryan Singer film. I think MasterWhedon mention the subtle little flourishes Singer put into his films, those little brief character moments that can up your enjoyment of a film immensely. This film was lacking those. It also seemed paced a bit quick, no real room to breathe, and the last two X-Men films had little moments of reflection and contemplation that this movie didn't seem to have. Part of this is the writers' fault, of course, but Singer is the type of director to push for these moments, as documented on the bonus material on the DVDs. Ratner didn't falter, but he didn't really elevate the material either.

So anyway, final thoughts. The cure stuff was compelling, but not fully explored. Phoenix deserved her own film and was woefully underused/misused in this movie. Magneto was great, but I didn't buy his callousness towards Mystique. Pyro was a different character entirely from the last film. Rogue was underutilized. Storm was overutilized. Cyclops deserved more. Xavier was cool as always. Outside of Magneto, I didn't really care for any of the villains. Angel was such a nonentity it's amazing the amount of ad time he's given. Wolverine was Wolverine, but I wish he had a bit more going on dramatically. We didn't really seem to be on his side like with the previous two. It's like we were on the outside looking in. The action was good, nothing to complain about. The two Phoenix scenes where all hell is breaking loose were pretty cool. Magneto doing his schtick is always cool. I think Nightcrawler was sorely missed from this movie. I think the ending with the President wrapped things up a little too neatly. In fact, I don't think the events of the movie were even addressed, things just ended. The other two movies left us wondering about the future. The only way this film manages that is by resurrecting two characters we thought were gone.

As a standalone movie this may have been okay, but I have to consider the history of the franchise when I think of this movie. And I don't think this holds a candle to X2. What I loved about the first movie was all the character development and the world they created for them to inhabit. The action was pretty subpar however. This movie seems to be the inverse: lots of cool action, but subpar character development. X-Men had enough going for it that I ended up really liking it, despite its faults. X-Men: The Last Stand falls a bit short, I think. It's not a bad movie, but overall, I don't think it's particularly good either. As a way to end a film series, it ends up being a bit lackluster. For every pro I can mention, there's a con as well. So I guess the net effect is that this is a completely middle-of-the-road affair for me. A stronger script would have served this franchise well. From what I can tell, Ratner did the best with what he was given. Too bad he wasn't given a great movie.

5/10 stars
Last edited by RogueScribner on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:19 am

I forgot to mention, MW. Locke's got a picture of Cyclops' visor as there was an exhibition at the cinema we went to, so pester him!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:54 am

RogueScribner wrote:EXTREMELY LONG-WINDED POST AHEAD! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

approximately 138097937501987051829035 words later...

Holy shit I've done a lot of typing! Let me attempt to wrap things up now.

approximately 809875091328075923807598351 more words...

5/10 stars

ok, where do i turn in my book report?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:59 am

I started reading that this morning......you just spoiled the end, bastard!!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:29 pm

ok, i finally saw the movie last night. here are my (hopefully) brief impressions since i doubt i'm gonna be able to say anything that hasn't been said a thousand times already on this thread.

first, the coming attractions.
the ghost rider trailer looked even better on the big screen than on my computer monitor.
the snakes on a plane trailer was great! the marketing guys look like they've got a handle on the inherent goofiness that has made this film such a phenomena and are playing off that now.

and now the obligatory spoiler warning...

SPOIL ME ONCE, SHAME ON YOU... SPOIL ME TWICE... CAN'T GET SPOILED AGAIN!

i gave it 7/10. i thought it was quite good, not close to fantastic. i'd say it's about even with the first two in my opinion. there are certain things i would have preferred been done differently with all 3 films, but i enjoyed what we got nevertheless.

i didn't read this thread, and tried to steer clear of any major spoilers, though i had already read mori's script review a while back, so some of the deaths weren't all that surprising. seeing who gets (unintentionally) "cured" was more surprising. the way magneto kicked mystique to the curb was cold. seemed pretty abrupt, but i think it was in character for him. she was no longer "one of us" so he didn't even think of her as the same mystique. cyclops' death is also pretty sudden and thankless, but that character has basically been treated that way since film 1, so it's a bit late to start complaining about it now.

i liked prof x better in this film... at least this time he was getting PWN3D by someone more powerful than him, rather than getting PWN3D by someone weaker than him. one of my biggest complaints about films 1 and 2 were the way prof X was always having to be rescued. isn't he supposed to be the most powerful mutant or something? i only ever read a few of the comics when i was a kid, so i don't know, but if he's leading the x-men, it seems like he shouldn't be so easy to PWN. i was sad they killed him off (or so i thought, since i didn't know there was a "take-it-back" scene after the credits) but given how poorly they did him in the previous films, it wasn't earth-shattering. i don't mind if they bring him back through psychic powers or something either... in his death scene, he gave this look to wolverine right before he disintegrates, and i could have swore i heard him whisper "remember..." although apparently, the after-credits scene i missed means he transplanted his katra into someone else, so we won't get any dual-personality xavier/logan scenes.

the other character i'm a bit disappointed in is wolverine. i don't think i'd be satisfied with any wolverine movie though that wasn't hard-R with lots of guts and gore. just give us a film in which we get to really see what those claws can do.

am i wrong for thinking famke is even twice as hot when she's all phoenixed out and her eyes are glowing and shit?

of the new mutants, i liked kittie pride and would like to see more of her in X4. angel could be a promising character, but was completely wasted. as soon as they were taking his father to drop him to his death, i knew angel would come swooping in at the last minute to save him. maybe that would have had more impact if it wasn't only his 3rd scene of the film. i suspect there may be a lot of deleted angel scenes on the dvd.

the part with magneto getting his powers back at the end didn't bother me. the idea that the cure may not be permanent seems like a good way to get to the next film. and of course there's gonna be a next film, even if they were initially planning to end it with this one, there's no way they're not making another one after the $122 mil this made over memorial day. i think this film is gonna have a large drop off though... there were fewer people in the theater for this last night, than for davinci code last thursday, and it was a bigger theater.

so to sum up... it was a good film. no better and no worse than the first two for me. i enjoyed it but it's probably not something i'm gonna see again for a while.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:31 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:I started reading that this morning......you just spoiled the end, bastard!!

don't worry, i didn't give away the best part...

there's a scene after the credits where he wakes up in a hospital and revises his score to an 8
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:35 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:I started reading that this morning......you just spoiled the end, bastard!!

don't worry, i didn't give away the best part...

there's a scene after the credits where he wakes up in a hospital and revises his score to an 8

Hahahaha
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:11 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I forgot to mention, MW. Locke's got a picture of Cyclops' visor as there was an exhibition at the cinema we went to, so pester him!

Nifty. Does it look anything like this?

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:18 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:I forgot to mention, MW. Locke's got a picture of Cyclops' visor as there was an exhibition at the cinema we went to, so pester him!

Nifty. Does it look anything like this?

Maybee the costume change for the movie was a good thing.

Is that storm a dude?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:39 pm

Holy crappa... 7 pages of a the X-Men 3 reviews for a the Dino to read a through, eh? I gonna to be a the dead before I catch uppa onna alla this, no?

The Dino, he do a the little search anna he dinna see anyone else a mention a this a one yet, eh? But did any of a you putzes notice that a the Wolverine, his a mutant healing factor, she so powerful inna this a film that he even able to go anna heal his a shirt??

He takes a the two spikes right inna to a his a gut, no? Anna they make a the point to show the wounds, eh? Closing themselves uppa through a the holes inna the shirt.... anna yet, when a the Magneto, he got a the Wolverine alla suspended inna the mid-air, the holes inna the shirt? They alla healed too!!!

IPAMPILASH!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:45 pm

Dino, leader of the Continuity Police Squad!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:47 pm

Hehehe... you know me alla too well, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:33 pm

Ha Ha. We do know you well... :D
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:13 pm

Just got back from seeing this gratis (generous mates and student discounts).

So.... I didn't really like it.

It was rushed, the whole cure, mutant war and Phoenix were just done far too fast.
I mean it's like 5 minutes from hearing about the cure to it been massed produced and then rioting occurs. Then there's Jean's resurrection, Cyclops death, Xaviers death and the fumbled attempts at teen romance/jealousy.
Things just aren't given space to breathe, characters behave oddly and there's no real depth to any of it.

Xavier's death looks good, but the funeral and mourning is over and done with in about 3 minutes, Halle Berry makes a mess of an already badly written eulogy, it's like they have to cover certain beats as quick as posible cus they are afraid the audience will get bored waiting for the bridge scene. It belies a lack of confidence by the director if he worries about boring people with the character moments. It's a script with dialogue not exactly horrendous but lacking any real emotion it just seems like platitiudes and cliches in place of real characters saying real things. Ok X2 didn't have profound dialogue either but then they didn't kill off Xavier so depth of emotion and convincing dialogue about loss wasn't required. It made Xavier's death cheap and (especially with the post credit reveal) just there for shock value.
The other problem was that Xavier acted very differently to the way he had in the first 2, if this is meant to be the final part in a trilogy I expect character continuity. Xavier wouldn't have pushed Jean about Cyclops death when he was trying to talk her round and he certainly wouldn't have shouted at her either. The other problem with the Xavier/Jean/Magneto story was that Magneto persuades Jean that Xavier wants to control her (which in fairness he does really) but then Jean spends the rest of the movie as Magneto's puppet. Thereby negating any problems she has with being controlled.
As I said it was rushed, but then needless stops occurred like the Kitty/Iceman ice skating moment. Yes it was a necessity to make Rogue jealous but in a movie that barely stops to acknowledge Cyclops death and fumbles Xaviers, why do we need 5 minutes of teen romance?
Angel was kinda pointless, the flashback to him cuting his wings was pretty cool, but really, why have him in it at all? He didn't do anything but save his dad. It's like there was a whole Angel film but we just saw the bits where it intersected with X3. It was very frustrating.

It was the lack of in film logic that annoyed me the most, like Xaviers personality change and how Wolverine was meant ot be some kind of leader when in the other two he's got his own agenda, even at the start of this he doesn't care, then he does a little bit, then he fucks off the find Jean not caring about anything else going on. But all of a sudden he's back and making speeches to rally the troops. It was most odd.

The other thing that pissed me off was the way Mystique was treated, she gets cured and Magneto leaves her, that's fair enough but then there no pay off. Was she deliberately misleading the army about the brotherhood location or was she still loyal to Magneto - why though as we know Magneto dumped her? And how would she know where they are anyway? And what was the point of the scene where the army raid the forest hideout??? There wasn't one.

It was rushed, disjointed, illogical and unsatisfying on any level deeper than "Ooooh, cool powers" or "Wow, big action scene"

I know I've just slated it but there was some stuff I liked.

Magneto...the film just seemed to kick in to gear whenever he was around. McKellen was superb, especially the remarks about his tatoo. The one real moment of pathos in the whole movie.

The Pyro/Iceman conflict was handled well they got a few cool moments but I would have liked more.

The mutant who could cure them was a very cool idea, but why the hell is he at the school at the end???? His only power is to cure mutants who come near him, so, he really wouldn't have a problem around normal people and he actually would damage the mutants....jesus, it's stupid stuff like that, that was soooo annoying.

Magneto being cured was just swept away too, give me a few minutes of him dealing with it please...Mckellen is such a fucking ace actor he manages to almost achieve it right at the end when he's in the park just a sad old man, but then the film really shows up it's lack of balls by having him get his powers back....AAAAARGH, just give me one fucking pay off please.

The I'm juggernaut bitch was fucking terrible as well brings you right out of the movie when you should be totally immersed in it.

So overall, a bit of a mess really. Not a fitting end to the trilogy at all.

For Mckellen/Magneto alone does the film get a 5.5, maybe a 6.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:23 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Magneto being cured was just swept away too, give me a few minutes of him dealing with it please...Mckellen is such a fucking ace actor he manages to almost achieve it right at the end when he's in the park just a sad old man, but then the film really shows up it's lack of balls by having him get his powers back....AAAAARGH, just give me one fucking pay off please.

Hehehe... I thought a that WAS a the payoff, eh? The old bastard, he's a too good of a the character to reduce to a the sad old a man, you goddamn putz! We not alla goddamn vegetables, eh? He not gonna to let a the thing like a the mutant cure get inna his a way, no? He was inna the camps! Never forget! NEVER FORGET!!!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:23 pm

Tony, i almost whole-heartedly agree with your assessments...
what was your take on Beast?
I liked him/it alot, but i wish they hadn't chosen Kelsey Grammer for the role. i just couldn't get by the Fraiser thing.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:32 pm

So does everyone get there powers back? Thats what I wondered. Does Mystique notice a small blue spot somewhere on her body. Are Rogue and Iceman right in the middle (if you know what I mean) and suddenly she starts to get really cold? These are the questions that plague me...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:32 pm

so sorry wrote:Tony, i almost whole-heartedly agree with your assessments...
what was your take on Beast?
I liked him/it alot, but i wish they hadn't chosen Kelsey Grammer for the role. i just couldn't get by the Fraiser thing.

I agree mate. He did look good, better than I first thought. And I didn't mind his wire fu stuff either. But whenever he spoke Frasier Crane turned up and made every line sound either offhand or mock serious. His voice is so distinctive it pulls you out of the movie.

Dino...I see what you mean, and that is kinda cool, but if they are going to do that then let him have 5 minutes dealing with being one of those homo sapiens he hates so much. If a film can give me 5 minutes for ice skating emo crap it had damn well better give me 5 minutes of the trilogy's most compelling character and it's best actor dealing with being a regular joe.
TonyWilson

Postby Jumpman on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:33 pm

Question:

Why wasn't Cerebro used during this film?

You could've fixed a few logical leaps just by having Xavier use Cerebro.

Hell, Xavier could've fought Jean using Cerebro. I just never bought the scene where Jean and Xavier are face to face in her home, going at it with psychic powers.

Why not up the drama by having Xavier use Cerebro, since it does amplify his power, and Jean still kicking the shit out of him at the end of it all.

Then Xavier could've died in the mansion.

Just an idea. Still, they could've used Cerebro to fix a few things in the film.
The boy you trained, gone he is. Consumed by Darth Vader.

-Master Yoda; Episode III Revenge of the Sith
Jumpman
GLIB

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:58 pm

No offense fella, but thank god they didn't have that contrived plot device in there... one thing I was glad of was that completely logic defying piece of technology taking a back seat...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:32 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:No offense fella, but thank god they didn't have that contrived plot device in there... one thing I was glad of was that completely logic defying piece of technology taking a back seat...

Yeh having something in the film that is able to locate mutants, terribly contrived. Thank god they didn't have have anything like that in X3

Oh hang on....

They did.
TonyWilson

Postby raasnio on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:32 pm

Jumpman wrote:Question:

Why wasn't Cerebro used during this film?

You could've fixed a few logical leaps just by having Xavier use Cerebro.

Hell, Xavier could've fought Jean using Cerebro. I just never bought the scene where Jean and Xavier are face to face in her home, going at it with psychic powers.

Why not up the drama by having Xavier use Cerebro, since it does amplify his power, and Jean still kicking the shit out of him at the end of it all.

Then Xavier could've died in the mansion.

Just an idea. Still, they could've used Cerebro to fix a few things in the film.

Just my 2 pennies, but cerebro was already used to death in the first 2 movies. Not to mention that Xavier wanted to make a personal visit to Jean. Think about it. You want to convince someone to come home. Do you:

A. Send an email

or

B. Visit her in person

The email (cerebro in this case) isn't going to cut it. :wink:
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Jumpman on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:49 pm

Okay, Jean and Xavier going face to face is fine.

But, what's the deal with Xavier, Logan, and Storm automatically knowing that she went to her old home?

Plus, the idea of the entire school feeling Jean's presence while she kills Scott doesn't sit well with me.

It would've been easier to have just Xavier feel it, not knowing what it really was, going to Cerebro and finding out that it's coming from the Lake.

As it sits in the film, it's way too quick and too convenient.
The boy you trained, gone he is. Consumed by Darth Vader.

-Master Yoda; Episode III Revenge of the Sith
Jumpman
GLIB

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:53 pm

Jumpman wrote:But, what's the deal with Xavier, Logan, and Storm automatically knowing that she went to her old home?

It was only Xavier who knew where she'd be. Logan and Storm just accompanied him.

Xavier knew she'd be there because a) he likely sensed her and b) that's likely the last place Phoenix ever was before being neutered. It's natural for her to return to the thing she knows.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Bean on Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:11 pm

Just remembered a question, at the last scene with Xavier in the brainless body, how does he know that doctor? How does she know him? WHO IS SHE!?!?
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:13 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Jumpman wrote:But, what's the deal with Xavier, Logan, and Storm automatically knowing that she went to her old home?

It was only Xavier who knew where she'd be. Logan and Storm just accompanied him.

Xavier knew she'd be there because a) he likely sensed her and b) that's likely the last place Phoenix ever was before being neutered. It's natural for her to return to the thing she knows.

can you imagine how pissed her parents musta been when they got home from work that day!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:14 pm

Bean wrote:Just remembered a question, at the last scene with Xavier in the brainless body, how does he know that doctor? How does she know him? WHO IS SHE!?!?

Moira Mctaggart is in the comics, I believe she is involved with Angle somehow (but that's from the cartoon I think) anyway, she's an old friend of Xavier's

The other problem with that scene is Xavier really doesn't seem like the kind of person who would think it was ethical to transfer his consciousness to someone elses body.
TonyWilson

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:17 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
Bean wrote:Just remembered a question, at the last scene with Xavier in the brainless body, how does he know that doctor? How does she know him? WHO IS SHE!?!?

Moira Mctaggart is in the comics, I believe she is involved with Angle somehow (but that's from the cartoon I think) anyway, she's an old friend of Xavier's

The other problem with that scene is Xavier really doesn't seem like the kind of person who would think it was ethical to transfer his consciousness to someone elses body.

i think anybody's ethics take a backseat when faced with dying!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:21 pm

Moira McTaggert was a former "lady friend" of Xavier's who ran the mutant research center on Muir Island, where Exaclibur was based out of. She was the first known human to contract the Legacy Virus. I believe she died in the comics a few years ago.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion