GHOSTBUSTERS! 3! GBs in 3D???

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS! 3! GBs in HELL!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:50 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Bloo on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:00 am

the first comment on the website is for Ellen Page, Kirk you been hitting the MTV website?
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:42 pm

I'm so glad he's coming back because I miss Moranis.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 19, 2009 11:18 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed May 20, 2009 11:16 pm

Alyssa Milano and Eliza Dushku? WTF!!!!????

Akroyd is smoking crack.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 20, 2009 11:20 pm

I'd see it! Especially if they had to shower off after getting slimed. :twisted:
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:00 am

A Hero Complex Exclusive video: 'Ghostbusters' -- from Wii to sequel?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby buster00 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:43 am

Who ya gonna call?

COUSIN OLIVER!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:32 pm

TheButcher wrote:A Hero Complex Exclusive video: 'Ghostbusters' -- from Wii to sequel?

But is that magic still there? Aykroyd pointed to last year's "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" as an example of how a 1980s brand can be updated successfully (and, he noted, the alien skulls "reminded me of the Coneheads"). The fedora revival got decidedly mixed reviews, but it also pulled in a robust $787 million worldwide.

Don't be a fool Dan, think of the fans now or we will hunt you down. That's why Lucas and Spielberg are heavily protected. You, on the other hand......
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Peven on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:41 pm

papalazeru wrote:
TheButcher wrote:A Hero Complex Exclusive video: 'Ghostbusters' -- from Wii to sequel?

But is that magic still there? Aykroyd pointed to last year's "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" as an example of how a 1980s brand can be updated successfully (and, he noted, the alien skulls "reminded me of the Coneheads"). The fedora revival got decidedly mixed reviews, but it also pulled in a robust $787 million worldwide.

Don't be a fool Dan, think of the fans now or we will hunt you down. That's why Lucas and Spielberg are heavily protected. You, on the other hand......

dude, NO WAY you would turn down a payday the size Dan is looking at with a Ghostbusters 3, no matter how lame the movie was

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:12 pm

Peven wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

dude, NO WAY you would turn down a payday the size Dan is looking at with a Ghostbusters 3, no matter how lame the movie was

I'm talking about keeping the legacy safe.

GB 1 was awesome, 2 was still good and are we going to have it ruined just like the Indy films with a poor finale?

I really hope not.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:19 pm

Ghostbusters 2 is complete crap, never liked it even a bit and I was a massive Ghostbusters fan when it came out too. It'd be hard for them to make a worse film than that shit with the walking Statue of Liberty.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:25 pm

John-Locke wrote:Ghostbusters 2 is complete crap, never liked it even a bit and I was a massive Ghostbusters fan when it came out too. It'd be hard for them to make a worse film than that shit with the walking Statue of Liberty.

I wish I could disagree with this...but I can't.

I'd be SHOCKED if they could rediscover the magic from the first movie...but this is one of those franchises (can we call this a franchise??) where I'd be fine to let them try.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:32 pm

Yeah, me too. Ghostbusters is one of my all time favorite comedies/movies. There's so many things right with it. I seriously want to spend some more time with these characters. If it doesn't work, I think the few moments of magic we would get just from having Murray, Akroyd, Ramis, and Hudson together in the same scene would be worth it. Not to mention the added bonus if they somehow got Weaver and Moranis involved. I'm all for it.

But I disagree with Akroyd. I really don't want a "passing of the torch" film. I want to see the guys kicking ass again, and spend as much time with them as possible. If they do pass the torch, make the no0bs get in over their heads and the old guys have to come save their asses. Something like that.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:24 pm

A Coming Soon Exclusive: Harold Ramis Ghostbusters 3 Update
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:33 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:18 pm

From THR:
Ivan Reitman calling 'Ghostbusters 3' - Confirms he will direct; hopes to shoot it 'this next year'

Gregg Kilday wrote:
Ivan Reitman, who directed the first two "Ghostbuster" movies in the '80s, is gearing up to direct the long-awaited third installment in the series.

Sony's Columbia Pictures has been developing a script by Lee Eisneberg and Gene Stupnitsky that would relaunch the franchise.

Reitman has been involved in developing the script as a producer and, earlier this week, said for the first time that he will serve as director as well.

Speaking with MTV's Josh Horowitz at the National Board of Review Awards in New York -- where "Up in the Air," on which he served as a producer, picked up a best film award -- Reitman confirmed he would direct and said, "I hope to start shooting it this next year."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS! 3D

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:06 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:28 am

great. more pointless 3D being foisted on the moviegoing public. see, all you avatar-watching people, this is all your fault!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Todd on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:35 am

TheBaxter wrote:great. more pointless 3D being foisted on the moviegoing public. see, all you avatar-watching people, this is all your fault!

When they announce the release date for Dunston Checks In...INTO 3D! and you all want to line up to kick James Cameron in the balls for Avatar, you will have to line up behind The Todd, who will be saying "I told you so-five."
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS! 3! GBs in 3D???

Postby buster00 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:41 pm

They're making a pointless sequel to Ghostbusters, and you're worried about the 3-D aspect? Priorities, man!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:21 pm

From Variety:
Sony stability gets studio through leaner times - Exec regime rallies for fresh franchises and smarter deals
TATIANA SIEGEL wrote:On the franchise-building front, though, Sony is putting its focus on reviving two successful series from its vault: "Ghostbusters" and "Men in Black."

Smith is poised to return for a third "MiB," and "Ghostbusters" is on the fast track with a script by "The Office" writers Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg.

With Bond gone (back to MGM), the studio is also trying to develop other franchises such as the kid-friendly "Goosebumps," based on R.L. Stine's series of books, as well as "The Green Hornet" and "Doc Savage" -- two retro characters with name recognition that Sony will introduce to a new generation.

And, when in doubt, the studio can always turn to Smith. There's talk of bringing the perennially bankable star back for a second "Hancock" and fostering another franchise.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:06 pm

I sense a disturbance in the force.

From Collider:
Columbia Wants Ivan Reitman out a Younger Director in for GHOSTBUSTERS III

Maybe they'll hire this guy:
buster00 wrote:Image

COUSIN OLIVER!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:23 am

The Todd in 3D is ....... The Toddd.

Pointless, and off topic but a little amusing to me.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:17 am

This movie is never going to happen.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:23 am

Hermanator X wrote:The Todd in 3D is ....... The Toddd.

Pointless, and off topic but a little amusing to me.

and the pr0n version of Hermanator X is Hermanator XXX.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:25 am

RogueScribner wrote:This movie is never going to happen.

that might not be such a bad thing. between fat dan akroyd, ghostly bill murray, and more stupid 3d, i don't have high hopes for it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby jonhveey on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:46 am

All of this is to say word that Columbia wants to release Ghostbusters 3 in 3D has landed the return of the '80s icons. I'm so excited to see this one.

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:46 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:54 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Well if he's swears it'll be good who am I to argue?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:04 pm

so sorry wrote:

Well if he's swears it'll be good who am I to argue?

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Image
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Boo-Boo Bear wrote:he slimed me.

OR...

that's a big twinkie.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:52 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:07 am

Coming Soon Exclusive: Ivan Reitman on Ghostbusters 3
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 pm

From Deadline:
The Challenge Of Sequelizing Ghostbusters

MIKE FLEMING wrote:Every time one of the original Ghostbusters stars promotes a film, they answer the inevitable Ghostbusters III question that fuels a new round of breathless stories that turn out to be apparitions. Ivan Reitman, back as director thanks to his strong original Ghostbusters deal, is the latest to weigh in as he promotes his latest film No Strings Attached. He is getting more mileage telling reporters that Bill Murray doesn't hate the script than he is talking up the Natalie Portman-Ashton Kutcher sex romp. Here's what I hear: Reitman and Sony Pictures have no idea if the mercurial Murray will smile on the script they've just sent him. Without Murray, the studio absolutely will not make the film, which gives an extraordinary amount of leverage to a quirky actor who leaves financiers sweating until the moment he shows up on the set.

This is too big a project to play games. "The studio won't even think about forward on a $150 million film unless Bill has a closed deal and a commitment," said an insider. "It's too huge a risk to do any meaningful prep, hoping he shows up."

It has been 21 years since the last Ghostbusters sequel, which wasn't as good as the 1984 original and didn't gross as much. Despite that, Sony Pictures Entertainment has tried over and over to scare up a new ghost comedy that would entice Murray and his compatriots Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis for another encore. It has gone long past the point when a studio hurries a sequel to capitalize on the momentum of the last film and nobody was going to hurry unless a good script made it worthwhile, Sony has proven adept at figuring out problem sequels: for years, Men in Black 3 seemed unmake-able because of the battles between director Barry Sonnenfeld and producer Walter Parkes, a prohibitive amount of first dollar gross committed, and the inability to agree on a creative direction. When a good script finally materialized, Sonnenfeld and Parkes made peace and talent traded first dollar gross for cash break deals. The picture is slotted for May 25, 2012 release.

SPE thinks it has the same opportunity on Ghosbusters III, because of the script by The Office writers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky. Murray had been aloof about an Ghostbusters but Aykroyd and Ramis felt a thaw after the cast got together a couple of years ago to work on a video game. Eisenberg and Stupnitsky delivered the goods, and Aykroyd, Ramis and Reitman added their own touches before sending the script to Murray. The script brings back the original cast, who pass the torch to newcomers, which sets up future installments.

When the mercurial Murray does turn up on a film set, it's worth the wait. He's generating Best Supporting Actor talk for his performance in Get Low, and he was a definite highlight of Sony's Zombieland. But nobody envies a studio having to rely on him for such a big piece of business, because Murray moves to the beat of his own drum. Even trying to get an answer on Murray's thoughts conjures up the signature Ghostbusters line, 'Who you gonna call?' He has been without an agent for several years and doesn't have a publicist. He has an attorney but a call to his office was met with the curt reply that they don't talk to reporters. Bottom line: a yes from Murray moves Ghostbusters III right into pre-production, with shooting to begin as fast as possible. If Murray says no, the film doesn't have a ghost of a chance. No pressure, Dr. Peter Venkman.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:58 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Ghostbusters Star Speaks Out on Third Movie
Despite talk of a third Ghostbusters movie, star Ernie Hudson says he hasn't been approached about a role in the film.

Hudson, who starred with Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd in the first two Ghostbusters movies, told TMZ over the weekend that he's has yet to be contacted by anyone involved in the project.

"I haven't seen anybody with any money, but I hear it's happening, and I've been reading all the press stuff, and the fans have been telling me that it's on," Hudson said.

Ivan Reitman, who directed and produced the first two Ghostbusters movies, told The Hollywood Reporter last month that it's likely to be his next directorial project.

"There's a very good script that the other cast members have read and liked," he said. "We're just waiting for Bill Murray to read it."

And Aykroyd in December said he had already read the screenplay, calling it a "great script."

For his part, Hudson said he hopes to see the Ghostbusters crew return to the big screen.

"I have no idea and I'm not waiting for it, but I'd love to see it happen," he added.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:52 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:15 pm

From Coming Soon:

After years of rumors, it appears that Ghostbuster 3 is finally moving forward and will likely do so with or without Bill Murray's involvement. Dan Aykroyd appeared on The Dennis Miller Show to discuss the project, dropping specific details about the sequel, hinting that the plan is to film in Spring of 2012 no matter what happens casting-wise.

"Yes, we will be doing the movie and hopefully with Mr. Murray," he says, "That is our hope. We have an excellent script. What we have to remember is that 'Ghostbusters' is bigger than any one component, although Billy was absolutely the lead and contributive to it in a massive way, as was the director and Harold [Ramis], myself and Sigourney [Weaver]. The concept is much larger than any individual role and the promise of 'Ghostbusters 3' is that we get to hand the equipment and the franchise down to new blood."

Read more: Dan Aykroyd Drops Signficant Ghostbusters 3 Details - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienew ... z1W5bMAtyw
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Bloo on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Poor Ernie Hudson, he's not an important part
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:02 am

Bloo wrote:Poor Ernie Hudson, he's not an important part

and neither is rick moranis.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:00 am

I wish people would stop linking to that story, because it originated in the NATIONAL ENQUIRER! I'm sure next week they got the scoop, that the sasquatch delivered the package.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:40 pm

Sony hires new writer for 'Ghostbusters 3' - 'Men in Black 3' scribe Etan Cohen to rewrite sequel
Jeff Sneider wrote:Who you gonna call if you're Sony Pictures and you want to reboot the lucrative "Ghostbusters" franchise? How about "Men in Black 3" scribe Etan Cohen, who has been tapped to rewrite "Ghostbusters 3" for the studio.

"The Office" scribes Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky were hired in September 2008 to revive the blockbuster franchise that started in 1984 with Ivan Reitman's "Ghostbusters." At the time, the supernatural action-comedy was Columbia Pictures' highest-grossing film ever, until it was beaten by "Men in Black" and then "Spider-Man."

Third installment is expected to find original cast members Harold Ramis, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson and Bill Murray passing the torch to a new generation of ghostbusters.

Cohen previously wrote Ben Stiller's "Tropic Thunder" and Mike Judge's "Idiocracy." He's also attached to make his directorial debut with Paramount's horror-comedy "Boy Scouts vs. Zombies," which follows three high school Boy Scouts who must use their skills to save their small town from a vicious zombie outbreak. Cohen was the sole credited writer on "Men in Black 3," which has grossed more than $600 million worldwide since opening at the end of May.

Cohen is repped by CAA, Mosaic and attorney Peter Nichols.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:58 pm

SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby travis-dane on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:23 am

Yeah, I was shocked too. I smell a solid turd. They should put all the unwanted sequels togeter in one movie.

Indiana Jones and the Ghostbusters go to Beverly Hills for Top Gun Cop.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Fievel on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:00 am

travis-dane wrote:Yeah, I was shocked too. I smell a solid turd. They should put all the unwanted sequels togeter in one movie.

Indiana Jones and the Ghostbusters go to Beverly Hills for Top Gun Cop.

And call it Spaceballs 4.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

GHOSTBUSTERS IN HELL!!!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:24 am

Q&A: Dan Aykroyd Is Keeping Ghostbusters 3 Alive

Michael B. Dougherty wrote:As an original Saturday Night Live cast member and one half of the Blues Brothers, Dan Aykroyd is already responsible for many of the barroom reenactments you've endured over the past few decades. But few things he's done have left as lasting an impression as Ghostbusters (not so much its less fondly remembered sequel), the movie that just refuses to, uh, die. Fans have been talking about a Ghostbusters 3 ever since it was a possibility. We recently met up with Aykroyd in New York City while he was in town to promote his Crystal Head vodka, at the Essex House hotel, a block from where the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man made his entrance. He talked about the greenlighting of Ghostbusters 3, the script that's in the works, and why Bill Murray probably won't be in it.

ESQUIRE.COM: All this reminds me of a scene in a movie.

DAN AYKROYD: What? Are you talking about Trading Places?

ESQ: No, Ghostbusters.

DA: Oh. Right, right.

ESQ: You chose to put your vodka in a bottle inspired by the legend of the crystal skulls. Besides making for some striking packaging, there's also a personal connection there, yeah?

DA: My great-grandfather, Sam Aykroyd, was a dentist in Kingston, Ontario, and he was also an Edwardian spiritualist researcher who was very interested in what was going on in the invisible world, the survival of the consciousness, precipitated paintings, mediumship, and trans-channeling. My dad wrote a book, A History of Ghosts, and it references my family history and why I wrote Ghostbusters.

ESQ: Which you wrote the introduction for.

DA: Yes, that's right. So yes, the mystical and extra-terrestrial associations with the crystal heads always fascinated me.

ESQ: Throughout Ghostbusters, there are references to actual events and phenomena.

DA: The Tunguska blast …

ESQ: Are you disappointed about the recent setback of filming on Ghostbusters 3, until 2013?

DA: I'm as deeply inside Ghostbusters 3 as anyone involved in the project — that includes the executives at Sony, who have to go to sleep at night and have to decide to do it. Ivan Reitman, the director, who travels from Santa Barbara to L.A., and has for the last three years, working with writers to put it together. [The Office writers] Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg, who worked on one of the drafts.

ESQ: But that draft isn't being used anymore, right?

DA: I've worked on every draft in the last three years, as Ivan has, and now we have a story and a draft that everybody seems to agree would make the third movie. At this point, I think we're closer than we ever have been. And because of the ever-shifting sands and nature of the motion-picture business, I will just say that hopefully, at some point, it will be morphing into what is known in the business as a [Aykroyd mimes air quotes] "production number XP39789." Then I will begin to rent cars, get hotel rooms, and bill for writing. But that point hasn't come. All my work has been gratis to this point, as Ivan's has, and I'm hoping that I can get that production number set up in L.A. and help everyone bring the movie to fruition, as the originator and creator of the concept. If it does not happen, the life of Dan Aykroyd and his family and friends will be quite full without Ghostbusters 3.

ESQ: People have been waiting for this for a long time.

DA: And I've been the cheerleader!

ESQ: You have been the cheerleader.

DA: And I read every draft that's been turned in. When Gene and Lee, and Etan [Cohen, writer of Men in Black 3, hired last summer], and Ivan — when they've turned in drafts, I hand drafts right back. And at this point, we have a script that we like. And I'm hoping for it —

ESQ: With those three gentlemen involved?

DA: Oh, yeah.

ESQ: Because the last I heard was that the second script had been tossed.

DA: You know, they did great work. There will be arbitration on it. And I hope that the arbitration may yield some kind of credit for them, but I don't know what the final, final draft is gonna be. That's to be determined.

ESQ: Do you have sign-off on that?

DA: Well, I have one-fifth of the voice, along with the partners and the other owner of the property, the picture company, and Ivan, Billy [Murray], and myself, and Harold [Ramis]. We all have to sign off on it unanimously — uh, I'm not sure Billy does anymore, since he abrogated his rights by sort of, by saying, two years ago he said, "I don't want to be involved," and the picture company I think had some clause in there that if he actually passed on the third of fourth offer, he no longer has a view of the franchise. So, that's for the lawyers to decide. Of course, I'd love to have Billy call me tomorrow and say, "Let's go to work and start writing."

ESQ: Right. And you've said before that it doesn't affect your friendship. That's one thing and the business is another. But it seems like the production has been held up because of his reluctance.

DA:
Well, let me say this: Had Billy chosen to do the Eisenberg/Stupnitsky script of two years ago, it would be out this summer, and it would be a massive hit. If Billy had said yes, it would have satisfied his performance and what he wanted in the movie, it would have satisfied his performing skill and how he wanted to be depicted in the movie, it would have satisfied the studio, the writers who wrote it, everybody — Ivan, me, Harold, we were all happy with it. Then when he said, "Absolutely not, I'm not in this," we had to go and really rethink things. He abrogated his say in the project, abrogated his rights to have any say in it by refusing the third offer from the picture company, which his lawyer put before him, and Billy said, "No, I can't respond." Now we have to move on, but we'll always leave a hole for him. He's always there. He can always come back at any time and be rebuilt into it, as far as I'm concerned. That's up to his lawyer and the picture company to work out, but creatively, he will always be a part of it.

Now, this would add quite a bump to Sony's bottom line, quite a bump. If they make this movie, in its current shape, they would be looking at a pretty hefty, nine-figure return. And so I'm hoping they get on to move it, but if they don't, I have multiple trains. I've got tracks six, seven, and nine, and that's four. I'll be moving on to other things, as will Ivan, by the way. We can't wait forever. And now's the time to tell the picture company, and I'd say this quite publically, it's time now to sit down and make this movie, or you will lose your main principals, and you won't be able to make it without us, because we have rights, and now is time to make the movie... You don't take advantage of that in the next three or four months, I'll see you in Australia, where we'll be selling Crystal Head.

ESQ:
If it does happen, will it be a sequel or a reboot? The talk was a sequel for a long time, featuring the next generation of Ghostbusters, but Ivan has made comments about a reboot.

DA: Next generation. Dealing with a problem, as the first movie did, but I think we would have to hand it off to the young.

ESQ: Anything you can reveal about the script as it stands now?

DA:
Pretty solid, pretty neat, and incredible images.

ESQ: Are you still working with the "Ghostbusters in hell" concept?

DA: Listen, I tell ya, after this movie gets made, and maybe the next one: Man-hell-ttan.

ESQ: Man-hell-ttan.

DA: Man-hell-ttan, and the Ghostbusters in hell, would be so solid, but we gotta get maybe one or two made before that. But, oh, wow... I wrote that with Tom Davis, my writing partner, recently deceased, who wrote Coneheads with me and stuff on Saturday Night Live. There's classic Tom Davis lines and funny stuff in there, really it's probably the most humorous of all the Ghostbusters scripts that have generated in that last little while. But we'll put the humor into this next one. It's gotta be funny, or it's not worth doing. It can be scary, it can be Ghostbusters, it can be the new franchise, the new people, but if it's not funny … Wait a minute, it started as a comedy. Let's make sure there's laughs and no laugh unturned and that we really make that our priority, to make it funny and exciting, but mainly funny.

ESQ: So if it's the nine-figure success you predict, would you do more?

DA: Uh, well, my role as an actor would diminish, as the next one came, and I would work as a writer, of course.

ESQ: Was it originally conceived to be more than two or three movies?

DA: Oh, yes, the one that Etan has written now — with Ivan strongly collaborating with him, and with me doing revisions as needed, and studio input — totally leads to a next one. It feeds into it very organically.

ESQ: And would you let Bill come back as a ghost?

DA:I originally had him as a ghost in the Stupnitsky/Eisenberg draft. Because he said, "If I do this, I want to be dead, and I want to be a ghost." So I said, well, we'll build you in there. And had he said yes two years ago to the ghost concept, I'm telling you, we'd be making the movie this summer, and it would be massive.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion