The Official INTERSTELLAR thread

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Official INTERSTELLAR thread

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:05 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:47 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Another dull looking trailer. Someone five Nolan a bucket of paint. He's actually doing sci-fi and STILL he doesn't put some colour into his films. All that sci fi travelling and all he has to show for it is blacks, greys and whites. Get Spielberg back on this project right NOW!

Christopher Nolan Doesn’t Rule Out Another Superhero Movie; Warner Bros. Pressed Him to Produce JUSTICE LEAGUE and a BATMAN Reboot
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:06 pm

Reviews are starting to come in, and it seems universal ( 8-) ) that its one of those great but kinda sucks movies. Must see but be prepared to be sorta disappointing!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:01 pm

Yeah, every review I've read says the movie falls apart in the third act... which is exactly where you want a movie to suck!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:42 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby John-Locke on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:01 pm

Go and see it, I didn't have a problem with the third act, great film, one that you can't stop thinking about. You can tear certain elements apart if you want to but that pales in comparison to the high levels of entertainment and excitement consistent throughout, the expert technical craft on display, great performances, beautiful cinematography, a healthy dose of heart and human drama and most importantly the mind boggling ideas presented.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:58 am

Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, and More Talk INTERSTELLAR, the Evolution of the Script, and Grounding the Film with Emotion
They talked about the experience of making the film, how the project came together, how much the script change once Nolan replaced Steven Spielberg as director, writing a science fiction movie with so much hope, working in the space suits, space exploration, if there were any deleted scenes, the involvement of NASA, and so much more.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Critic's Notebook: The Case Against 'Interstellar'
THR film critic Stephen Dalton argues that Christopher Nolan's new space epic isn't full of wonder — it's full of itself
Stephen Dalton wrote:In recent weeks, the supermassive black hole of promotional hype surrounding Interstellar seems to have swallowed everything in its path, warping the fabric of space-time itself. A visually awesome spectacle with a sumptuously retro 70mm look, the Batman trilogy director Christopher Nolan’s epic galaxy quest undeniably is a technical triumph and a great adventure yarn.

But don’t make the mistake of taking it as seriously as it takes itself. Because, in typical Nolan style, Interstellar confuses bigness for greatness. Fasten your seat belts for three hours of monumental pomposity, corny emotionalism and anti-science mysticism dressed up as real science.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:04 pm

‘Interstellar’ Gets Reviewed by Neil deGrasse Tyson: No Film Opinions Just Scientific Rights or Wrongs
After ripping apart "Gravity," the astrophysicist applauds Christopher Nolan's new film
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:04 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:57 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:31 am

Spoiler-laden question, for those who have seen the film:

I found myself a little confused by Matt Damon's psycho-killer behavior. I get why he faked the data and went to sleep, but once the other crew showed up, what was his motivation to lie, and kill to protect the lie? They'd have to have been pretty huge dicks to not just take him along with them.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:47 pm

"They say: 'the last thing you see before you die are your children's faces'" - explanation of Inception's ending.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:36 am

I just saw this this afternoon, and my first reaction is that I hated it. I kept hearing about great visuals, and there were maybe three great visuals in it, and the rest looked like retreads of sci-fi from decades past. The prologue takes FOREVER!!!! Damn, dudes, get the story started! And once they get the story started, there's no explanation at all as to why Matthew McConaughey's character would be in any way in charge of this mission.

The whole Matt Damon part could be removed without compromising the story in the slightest. And his scripted lines sound like first draft crap! Terrible dialogue.

The last act just drags on and on and on. Nolan clearly thinks he's Stanley Kubrick, but he ain't.

I'll have to see this movie again to make sense of it, but it does NOT live up to the hype. DAMN what a waste of time.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:39 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:06 am

I think I'd like to see it again. Nolan's films are thematically very dense and it usually takes me a couple viewings to see how certain plot points connect. But my first instinct is to say that this is my least favorite of his movies I've seen, besides Following. I can see people liking it a lot, depending on their feelings about children or space exploration, but it didn't really click with me. It's hard to argue that the movie should have been longer, but I didn't feel like enough time was spent with Cooper and his family for me to care about what happened to them. Critics and probably even Nolan himself have argued that this is his most "emotional" film, but I don't see why a movie like The Dark Knight isn't emotional, just because it provokes different emotions. Looking at a photo album and getting misty is fine and all, but it seems kind of shallow to me. And even though I hate it when people say "called it," I was annoyed by all the talk of ghosts and gravity at the beginning, because I knew right away that it would be Cooper and that's how the movie would end. The way that some people found Inception to be disappointing because a movie about dreams largely revolved around people chasing one another with guns, I found Interstellar to be disappointing because a man crosses through wormholes and black holes only to end up floating around in his daughter's bedroom. But the design of the ships, robots, and planets was very cool, and I do think it asked some good questions about how far we'll go for love, how far we'll go as a species, and what (sometimes difficult) lessons we can learn from each other.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:53 am

Ribbons wrote:Critics and probably even Nolan himself have argued that this is his most "emotional" film, but I don't see why a movie like The Dark Knight isn't emotional, just because it provokes different emotions.

Maybe when they say "emotional" what they mean is "sentimental"?
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:46 pm

I thought they meant verklempt
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:07 am

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:55 am

Jonathan Nolan and Kip Thorne discuss old Interstellar drafts:

http://nerdist.com/jonathan-nolans-ending-to-interstellar-made-a-lot-more-sense/
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:59 am

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:30 am

Fievel wrote:Interstellar Game

WHOA, what is this!? I've never played a text game before.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:52 pm

Just rewatched Interstellar.

Second time round, it's an amazing ordeal. For me, it manages to capture the right balance of Science Fiction and human emotion.

And, some of those shots in space really hit home the emptiness - it really brings back the shared memories I have for 2001 and Alien (all those lonely shots of the ships in space).

Incredibly moving film.

9/10
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:52 pm

Ever wondered if Spielberg would have made a better film? This may help...
http://www.slashfilm.com/interstellar-script-differences/
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:03 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Ever wondered if Spielberg would have made a better film? This may help...
http://www.slashfilm.com/interstellar-script-differences/

Whoa! That's some fucked up vision right there.

Spielberg's verson of the script seems a lot less human and clinical, which is strange considering many of his films are about humanity. Space Robots? Space Chinese?! Fractal Aliens?!?!

It sounds like it could go both ways with Spielbergs vision, it's a little batshit in places but that's not to say it doens't have it's merits.

I think Nolan's one is a lot more personal, I'm glad they changed Murph to a girl, it adds a nice father-daughter layer to the movie, although the character itself could have been either sex.

I like Nolan's script concentrated more on the crew rather than getting bogged down in other elements, giving it a more Das Boot claustrophobia feel.

Spielbergs script does sound very interesting with some pretty out there ideas but looks like it could have got weighed down with being too convoluted but I still like some of the ideas in there.

papalazeru

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:16 pm

Spielberg's sounds way more trippy and fascinating, but there were lots of thoughtful ideas and emotion in Nolan's, so it's hard to say with any certainty which one would have been better. But I really wish some of that stuff had made it to screen.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Ribbons wrote:Spielberg's sounds way more trippy and fascinating, but there were lots of thoughtful ideas and emotion in Nolan's, so it's hard to say with any certainty which one would have been better. But I really wish some of that stuff had made it to screen.

I've watched A.I twice.

I know which way it could have gone, unless this was written in one of Spielbergs darker periods.

papalazeru

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:17 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Spielberg's sounds way more trippy and fascinating, but there were lots of thoughtful ideas and emotion in Nolan's, so it's hard to say with any certainty which one would have been better. But I really wish some of that stuff had made it to screen.

I've watched A.I twice.

I know which way it could have gone, it would have made a film 1000x as good, as A.I. is one of the best films ever made.

Your post is fixed.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:27 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

I've watched A.I twice.

I know which way it could have gone, it would have made a film 1000x as good, as A.I. is one of the best films ever made.

Your post is fixed.

KIIRRRRRRRRRRRRK!!!!!!!!

papalazeru

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion