The Official INTERSTELLAR thread

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Official INTERSTELLAR thread

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:16 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Teaser Trailer:

I love you Mr. Nolan.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:14 pm

Any plot summary somewhere for me to read?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:42 pm

All I know is that it involves wormholes somehow. That was a lovely little teaser though.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:53 pm

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:48 am

I kinda loved that it said 'one year from now' although I'll probably end up clueless about the actual release date. I give myself three days before I forget when this teaser was released.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:48 pm

The only reason I'm watching this is Wes Bentley.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby minstrel on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:10 pm

It's Christopher Nolan doing sci-fi with a script originated by a famous physicist. It is, therefore, very interesting to geeks. And it doesn't come out for a year. I think I'm going to be just as entertained by the geeks talking and hyping this movie over that time as I will be by the movie itself. Bring on the upcoming talkbacks and stuff!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:35 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:The only reason I'm watching this is Wes Bentley.

I think even after I see this and TRANSCENDENCE, I'll have trouble remembering which actors were in which film. Which film got which hunky middle-aged leading man (Depp vs McConnghghdhifgdh), which film got which slim beautiful poised Oscarbaity actress (Hall vs Chastain), which film got which wise old owl (Freeman vs Caine), which film got which handsome guy who usually gets roles as creeps (Bentley vs Murphy) etc.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:37 pm

"The one John Lithgow was in" will get thrown around a lot I think.
caruso_stalker217

Postby minstrel on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:25 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:"The one John Lithgow was in" will get thrown around a lot I think.

That won't narrow it down much. Lithgow is one of those guys who seems to be in everything. :)
minstrel

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:44 am

The other movie should counter Lithgow by casting John Cleese.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:47 am

that teaser looked like Terrence Malick Goes to Space
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:24 pm

It's a lovely trailer.

But I'm trying not to get massively over-enthusiastic for it after Gravity turned out to be disappointing.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SooperPooperScooper on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:41 pm

IT LOOKS SHIT1

YOUR SHIT!!
SooperPooperScooper
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:14 am

SooperPooperScooper wrote:IT LOOKS SHIT1

YOUR SHIT!!

how do you know what Fried Gold's shit looks like?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:44 am

I hear video surveillance is wide spread in England
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby minstrel on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Al Shut wrote:I hear video surveillance is wide spread in England

:lol:
minstrel

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Al Shut wrote:I hear Kirks is wide spread in England

word's been getting around.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:17 pm

At least it doesn't look like my shit.

I'd be worried.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby so sorry on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Fried Gold wrote:But I'm trying not to get massively over-enthusiastic for it after Gravity turned out to be disappointing.

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Who says this place isn't interesting anymore? :lol:
This thread alone is like a dysfunctional family Christmas dinner!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Man, today's sex symbols really pale in comparison to Donald Sutherland in his prime.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:50 pm

so sorry wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:But I'm trying not to get massively over-enthusiastic for it after Gravity turned out to be disappointing.

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:19 am

:lol:

‘Interstellar’: Matthew McConaughey on the Scope and Ambition of Nolan’s New Film
Matthew McConaughey talks about ‘Interstellar’ being Chris Nolan’s most ambitious project yet. In Nolan’s case, that’s saying a lot.
Kofi Outlaw wrote:McConaughey spoke to Variety about the upswing in his career, and like all actors who gain access to a Nolan production, he was extremely frugal with what he would say about Interstellar‘s plot, opting more toward selling Nolan’s filmmaking prowess and ambition:

Here’s what I can tell you. It’s the most ambitious thing he’s ever done. And he’s done some ambitious stuff.

He came up to me and said, ‘“Mud.” I love that movie.’ [Later] I sat down with him for about 2½ hours at his house. Not one word came up about “Interstellar.” I walked out not sure what to think. I mean, he’s not a guy who takes general meetings.

There’s no f***ing around on set. He’s a great problem solver. In that way, he’s very indie. Here’s a guy who could have whatever budget he wants — and we finished shooting early.

Aside from the details regarding Interstellar‘s plot – which, for once, I’m very happy NOT knowing in advanced – this film is actually an intriguing pairing happening at a pivotal time.

Variety:
Matthew McConaughey on ‘Dallas Buyers Club’: ‘Damn Right This Is a Great Time in My Career’
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:57 pm

CinemaCon: Christopher Nolan Talks 'Interstellar,' Knocks Digital Filmmaking in Hollywood Reporter Q&A
UPDATED: Speaking with THR's chief film critic Todd McCarthy, the director says none of the new digital technologies can match the quality of celluloid, including projection systems.
Pamela McClintock wrote:LAS VEGAS -- Acclaimed filmmaker Christopher Nolan has a message for Hollywood and his fellow directors: See more movies in theaters to get a true sense of how much better film is than digital.

"Film is the best way to capture an image and project that image. It just is, hands down. That's based on my assessment of what I'm seeing as a filmmaker," Nolan said during a wide-ranging conversation with The Hollywood Reporter's chief film critic Todd McCarthy at CinemaCon, the annual gathering of theater owners in Las Vegas.

"As far as innovation and experimentation, I'm in favor of any technological innovation," said the 43-year-old director, "but it will always have to exceed what came before. None of the new technologies have done that."

His comments came as the era of film prints is coming to an end. Paramount, which is releasing Nolan's upcoming film Interstellar in North America, recently announced it won't be sending out any more film prints domestically -- save for Interstellar, which opens this winter -- since the vast majority of U.S. theaters have converted to digital projection systems and can no longer play film.

"I've gone to movie theaters and watched [my films]. Not enough filmmakers do that. And not enough people in our industry spend enough time in theaters and see the end result," Nolan said, adding that many in the industry watch movies in a rarefied space.

Nolan remains one of the last filmmakers to shoot exclusively on celluloid. He's a big fan of Imax, and shoots parts of his movies with Imax cameras. He used those cameras more on Interstellar than on any other film he's done.

"We are looking to theater owners to transport us and give us the best they can. As they say, the projectionist has the final cut," he said. "I think the technical aspect of how this film is presented is going to be more important than on any film I’ve done before, so that means getting into partnership with the studios and theaters."

The director remained mum on Interstellar's storyline. In broad strokes, the movie follows a team of space explorers who travel through wormholes.The Paramount and Warner Bros. movie stars Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Bill Irwin, Ellen Burstyn and Michael Caine.

"I grew up in an era that was a golden age of the blockbuster, when something we might call a family film could have universal appeal. That's something I want to see again. In terms of the tone of the film, it looks at where we are as a people and has a universality about human experience," Nolan said cryptically.

He did reveal that he worked closely with producer Kip Thorne, a theoretical physicist who was able to consult on the science behind wormholes.

Additionally, Nolan said that he made it a priority to use practical locations rather than CGI whenever possible. For example, he built the interior of a space shuttle for some scenes, and placed actual images outside the windows so that the actors could see what their characters would see.

"I want to capture as much in camera as possible," he said "It's a much higher quality than if you shoot on a green screen."

Nolan said he became fascinated with McConaughey after seeing an early cut of Mud. He agreed that the actor's Oscar win for Dallas Buyers Club and career transformation is ideal timing for Interstellar.

"[Mud] showed me a side of Matthew's capabilities that I never knew was there. It was a transformative performance. From when I first saw it, I had an inside track on how great he could be."

Asked about McConaughey's character in Interstellar, Nolan said, "I needed someone who is very much an everyman, someone the audience could experience the story with. He's just a phenomenal, charismatic presence in the movie. His performance is shaping up to be extraordinary."

Nolan also praised Caine, who has appeared in every one of Nolan's films since Batman Begins. "He comes so prepared and he is just so good with such a minimal effort. I cast him in every film just as an example to everyone else," Nolan said. "He's just a lovely guy to be around. He jokes that he's my lucky charm. It was a very good strategy on his part."

McCarthy also asked Nolan if he had any interest in directing long-form television, considering that so many filmmakers are making that leap.

"I would never say never, but I just really like movies. There's a lot of great stuff happening in TV, but we're not here to talk about TV," Nolan said.

Nor has Nolan, who is now in the process of editing a first cut of Interstellar, decided on his next film project. "I have always viewed every film as the last film I'm going to do. I've always done that because I want to put everything into it. I might get hit by a bus at the end of production," he said.

Nolan disclosed that he figured out he might want to be a director at the age of 12 after feasting as a young boy on films such as Star Wars and a rerelease of 2001: A Space Odyssey. "I remember very clearly the feeling of magnitude and otherworldly experience. I had no idea what the film meant, but it didn't matter to me in the slightest."

Nolan's trip down memory lane prompted him to urge theater owners in the audience to show more old movies. "You guys don't do enough rereleases."

THR senior vice president and publisher Lynne Segall introduced Nolan and McCarthy. THR co-sponsored the event.
Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:38 am

Christopher Nolan on ‘Interstellar’ and Preserving the Theatrical Experience
Alexandra Cheney wrote:LAS VEGAS — Make no mistake, director Christopher Nolan appreciates the evolution of television as much as the next guy, but for him, it’s celluloid or bust.

His November release, “Interstellar,” which counts wormhole scientist Kip Thorne as one of its producers and stars Matthew McConaughey and Michael Caine, is still mostly under wraps.

At a CinemaCon lunch in his honor, Nolan said he’s focusing largely on tone, calling McConaughey’s character an “everyman” and describing the film as “using interstellar travel to go to other places you couldn’t reach beyond normal space travel.”

A huge proponent of IMAX, Nolan says he shot more of “Interstellar” on IMAX cameras than ever before but that he used spatial interiors and “real environments,” in effect shooting the film and the actor’s responses to action “like a documentary.”

Although he’s all in favor of new technologies, he’s hesitant to adapt or use anything before it’s time tested – in a theater for certain and ideally in front of audiences.

New technology “has to cede what comes before that, and it hasn’t done that yet,” he said.

On the subject of 3D, Nolan praised Baz Luhrmann for “The Great Gatsby” but said that as far as the technology, “Just as stadium seating isn’t the best thing for a comedy, 3D isn’t the best for a shared audience.”

Well aware of his audience – a packed house of exhibitors – Nolan defended seeing films on the big screen and lobbied for more re-releases of films. He cited “Citizen Kane” and “The Odyssey” for their non-linear structure and advocated for shooting on 35 mm.

He ended speaking about the sound mix, promising theater owners and exhibitors a “unique approach” to sound mixing for “Interstellar,” looking to enhance and maximize current technologies, although he wouldn’t divulge how.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:47 am

CinemaCon: Christopher Nolan Warns Theatre Owners: How ‘Interstellar’ Is Presented Will Be More Important Than Any Film He’s Done Before
PETE HAMMOND wrote:The large graphic hovering above today’s CinemaCon luncheon filmmaker interview event said “Interstellar THE WORK OF CHRISTOPHER NOLAN“, but any theatre owner who was there anxious to get details of the blockbuster filmmaker’s latest learned very little. Nolan said he is still involved in his favorite part of the process – putting the first cut of Interstellar together – and wants to keep it all under wraps for now. He did praise star Matthew McConaughey’s work just as he did when I saw him at an event on the Paramount lot last week. Today he told the crowd he cast the brand new Oscar winner because he has a sort of “everyman” the audience could see the story through, saying he got interested in him particularly after seeing Mud.He also said his brother Jonah had actually written the initial script and that he became involved years later incorporating other ideas and elements that shaped the final screenplay. But in terms of real scoops we got none. “Really it’s about travel to other places we couldn’t reach through travel through space because the time expanse is far beyond anything we could conceive of,” was the most detailed description moderator Todd McCarthy could wrest out of him in a 50-minute interview, despite repeated tries. But Nolan did explain part of his motivation in tackling the ambitious film that Paramount will release domestically on November 7th (Warner Bros has international). “It’s been really an interesting challenge to me. I’ve been really enjoying it. I grew up in the era that was pretty much the golden age of the blockbuster when something being a family film could be very broad based and universal in its appeal and I feel that’s something I want to see again. Something that really looks at where we are as people, where we might go, something that tries to address the human experience…For me it’s really like harking back to the kinds of films I grew up with, that took me to places I could hardly imagine,” he said mentioning Star Wars and a theatrical re-release of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey that the 43-year-old filmmaker noted his father took him to when he was just seven.

But, knowing his audience, he did talk about how the film will be presented. “We shot quite a lot of the film in IMAX, more than we had ever done in the past. There will be some really beautiful IMAX film prints that will be in certain key locations. And we are really maximizing the various technical capabilities out there, particularly in the sound mix. We have very ambitious plans in how we are going to take a very big approach as to how we maximize the potential of the existing sound system in theatres…using existing equipment, you don’t have to buy anything new. Really what we are attempting to do is give audiences a better experience, an immersive experience. We are looking to theatre owners to really transport us and give us the best they can in how we get that out to the public. As they say, the projectionist has the final cut. I really think on this film the technical aspect of how this film is presented is really going to be more important than on any film I’ve done before, so that means getting into partnership with the studios and theatres,” he said.

Unlike Martin Scorsese and James Cameron who have done this spot at previous CinemaCons, Nolan consistently extolled his love for and belief in using film rather than all the emerging digital formats. “I am not committed to film out of nostalgia. I am in favor of any kind of technical innovation but it needs to exceed what has gone before and so far nothing has exceeded anything that’s come before (meaning film),” he said before extolling IMAX as a format that can’t be touched in terms of resolution. Once again he explained why he prefers not working in 3D, saying it cuts down on the ”shared experience” of seeing films in theaters but did praise Baz Luhrmann’s work with 3D on The Great Gatsby as extraordinary, very unique and an exception to his own rule. “It’s just not right for films I want to do,” he said. He’s also leery about a constant focus on innovation but didn’t want to offend companies in the audience. He said too much of what is being developed is for home use when instead the most important innovations should be saved for theaters drawing applause from the exhibitors. He also tried to encourage the theatre owners to “show more re-releases. You need to show great old movies in your theatres”. For cinephiles like me who like seeing the great classics on the big screen, that sadly drew no applause from a group seemingly more interested in the latest, biggest thing which they undoubtedly hope could be Interstellar.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 06, 2014 11:13 pm

Detailed Description Of New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR
Thanks to Nolan Fans, we have a detailed description of the new trailer for Chris Nolan's Interstellar. It will be attached to Godzilla, but if you can't wait that long hit the jump for a good read.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

INTERSTELLAR DUDE

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 08, 2014 5:35 pm

First Poster and Still For Christopher Nolan’s ‘Interstellar’ Lead Mankind to Space

This week on a very special episode of Diff'rent Strokes:
Black Holes, Relativity, Gravity, and a Father-Daughter Relationship
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Fri May 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Trailer.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 16, 2014 2:29 pm

So what are the odds that McConaughey actually makes it home?

I like the idea that this takes place in a near future where something is wrong, but not immediately apparent. Other than that, nothing particularly earth-shattering here, but it was enough to whet my appetite.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Fri May 16, 2014 2:42 pm

Ribbons wrote:So what are the odds that McConaughey actually makes it home?

If he finds someone to help, I think the odds are astronomical.

But this is Nolan - it could be more about the journey than the end result.

A double feature with this and Gravity at the Drive-In would be sweet, methinks.
Scratch that - double feature at the IMAX.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Fri May 16, 2014 2:55 pm

He said he'd be back, so I'm taking his word for it!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Fri May 16, 2014 3:00 pm

so sorry wrote:

That trailer kinda made me sad. Maybe its just that its friday afternoon, its raining like a mofo here, and I want to get home and play with my kids. But I didn't get a "fun" feeling from this movie...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri May 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Is this the alternate cut of CONTACT where McConaughey actually has a reason to be in the movie?
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fievel on Fri May 16, 2014 5:11 pm

so sorry wrote:
so sorry wrote:

That trailer kinda made me sad. Maybe its just that its friday afternoon, its raining like a mofo here, and I want to get home and play with my kids. But I didn't get a "fun" feeling from this movie...

Massive wildfires in CA, a horrible winter, and other ecological shitstorms don't help.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 19, 2014 11:23 am

Fievel wrote:If he finds someone to help, I think the odds are astronomical.

It's less about finding someone to help, and more about finding somewhere to go.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 19, 2014 2:25 pm

wherever you go, there you are.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Mon May 19, 2014 2:35 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

It's less about finding someone to help, and more about finding somewhere to go.

Yeah, I missed the mark on that. I just really wanted to reply and use the word "astronomical"...
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 19, 2014 4:23 pm

Fievel wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Yeah, I missed the mark on that. I just really wanted to reply and use the word "astronomical"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 5j64#t=117
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 25, 2014 5:43 pm

When he comes back the planet is ruled by those damn dirty apes!

TheBaxter wrote:
Fievel wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 5j64#t=117

BOOTSY!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Sun May 25, 2014 5:48 pm

this looks GREAT, but I am afraid the ideas it is going to be working with will be over the heads of the majority of the potential audience. then again, "Inception" did well at the box office and almost everyone I have talked to about it say they don't really "get" everything that happened so maybe this film can do well, too

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon May 26, 2014 6:47 am

The new less-Armageddonish trailer didn't really do anything for me either way. Nothing really intrigued me, nothing really offended me. I think this is one where I'll wait and see which way the reviews go.

I get the feeling from the depiction of McConaughey with those kids that he's a single dad, which probably means we'll get another Chris Nolan protagonist motivated by honouring the memory of a dead chick. But will he meet his dead wife again ..... in space?
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:53 am

Comic-Con Crapfest: Movies
Nikki Finke wrote:The studio tells me this Interstellar trailer won’t be available online until Wednesday.

SPACE.COM August 13, 2012:
Bizarre Black Holes Explained: Q & A With Physicist Kip Thorne
Clara Moskowitz wrote:Among the pioneering physicists who've shed light on these dark objects is Kip Thorne, an emeritus professor at Caltech and architect of some of the leading cosmological theories of how black holes warp space and time. Thorne describes some of the latest thinking on black holes in a paper published in the Aug. 3 issue of the journal Science.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:41 pm

New trailer

Now with more stellar
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:33 pm

There are quite a few plot spoilers being posted around at the moment, one of which I stumbled upon accidentally.

Beware reading anything about the film.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Another one. I suggest you watch this one, and no more.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:33 pm

Another dull looking trailer. Someone five Nolan a bucket of paint. He's actually doing sci-fi and STILL he doesn't put some colour into his films. All that sci fi travelling and all he has to show for it is blacks, greys and whites. Get Spielberg back on this project right NOW!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:36 pm

"Those aren't mountains..... they're waves!"

Yup, IMAX will be the format for this one.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion