What's your favourite Back to the Future film?

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Well, which one?

Part 1
57%
Part 2
37%
Part 3
6%

Total votes : 35

Postby Lurker Johnson on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:43 am

magicmonkey wrote:Back to the future 4 was made, it went straight to video, Marty went back in time and prevented it happening. Don't you remember?

DOCBROWNILASH!
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby banthafodderUK on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:49 am

FLUXCAPACITORILASH
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:10 pm

Back To The Future 4: Return Of The Future Present.

Doc Brown goes back in time twenty minutes to stop a nuclear holocaust, but screws up and splits the galaxy in two, winding up in an alternate dimension of Earth named New Luxembourg.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:19 pm

Does he meet Doc Mauve there? And Flarty McBye?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:33 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Does he meet Doc Mauve there? And Flarty McBye?

He also bumps into Biff... the worst character in the franchise. I loathe that guy.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:47 pm

the first one, getting back was only the beginning.

gonna go BEK'NTYMEEEEE.....
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:00 pm

I like 2 the most.

I like the scale of it, I like the multi-split-screen-motion-capture shots and I really like the dark, splinter timeline act.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Duses Wild on Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:36 pm

I have to give the edge to Part 3, I don't know why, I just love it. Maybe because of the romance story between Doc and Clara, maybe it was the awesome music in the movie, the humor, plenty of more stuff. I just absolutley love Part 3. Then Part 1 comes in a very close second followed by Part 2 of course.
Duses Wild
GLIB

Postby Brocktune on Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:50 pm

2 is the best

1 is the classic

3 sucks donkey balls.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:43 pm

Back to the Future 4: Still no Cure for Parkinson's
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:44 pm

OOOOOOH... cold, man.... that's cold...

*shivers*

Could it actually be I'm MORE evil than you?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:31 pm

I am seriously surprised by the outpouring of love for Part 3. The best movie in the trilogy? I gotta get to the UK and get my hands on the shit YOU cats are smokin'.

I like 'em in the order they came out; 1-2-3.

Just to smack y'upside the head: Part 2 took place in 2015.

Nine years until we get our hoverboards!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:00 pm

buster00 wrote:Just to smack y'upside the head: Part 2 took place in 2015.

Nine years until we get our hoverboards!

:o

Or untill Elisabeth Shue is 48.

:cry:
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vince on Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:03 am

This is actually my favroite flick. I remember seeing part 1 6 times in the theater. I loved both 2 and 3 and I now view all three as one movie.

I've been tempted to capture them all and cut them together without the credits, but I always remember I have a wife and we like to have sex, so I nix the idea.

I saw part 2 on the big screen a few weeks ago. It was a Hollywood Master storyteller thing and after Bob Gale was going to speak. he's the real reason I came out. But watching 2 on the big screen was fantastic and really gave a diffrent feeling to the movie, a feeling that had been diluted by TBS over the years.

After Bob spoke. I dig this guy, unfortunately, maybe this just wasn't his night, but the guy is a drag to listen to. Chris Lloyd was there too, he wasn't that fun to hear either, which surprised me, cause that guy produced Fraiser and should be one hell of an animated fuck.

Anyway, the one coll bit that we heard was, in part 3 the insurance company wouldn't insure the train pushing the Delorean with MJ Fox in it. They were worried the car would get stuck and the train would run MJF over. So they attached the car to the train and ran the train in reverse, if you pay attention you'll see smoke from the stack going in the wrong direction.
Rebel without a Deal Book - it's like a REMAKE, but a good one like Scarface http://www.rebelwithoutadeal.com
Vince
GLIB

What's your favourite Back to The Future film?

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:51 am

Vince wrote:This is actually my favroite flick. I remember seeing part 1 6 times in the theater. I loved both 2 and 3 and I now view all three as one movie.

I've been tempted to capture them all and cut them together without the credits, but I always remember I have a wife and we like to have sex, so I nix the idea.

I saw part 2 on the big screen a few weeks ago. It was a Hollywood Master storyteller thing and after Bob Gale was going to speak. he's the real reason I came out. But watching 2 on the big screen was fantastic and really gave a diffrent feeling to the movie, a feeling that had been diluted by TBS over the years.

After Bob spoke. I dig this guy, unfortunately, maybe this just wasn't his night, but the guy is a drag to listen to. Chris Lloyd was there too, he wasn't that fun to hear either, which surprised me, cause that guy produced Fraiser and should be one hell of an animated fuck.

Anyway, the one coll bit that we heard was, in part 3 the insurance company wouldn't insure the train pushing the Delorean with MJ Fox in it. They were worried the car would get stuck and the train would run MJF over. So they attached the car to the train and ran the train in reverse, if you pay attention you'll see smoke from the stack going in the wrong direction.

I was there too!

Honest to god, I watched both of part 2 and 3 countless times, but I never got the true glory of it all untill i sat in that theater with 400 fans all hootin and hollerin! Even if i knew what was happing next, it was still like i was watching the movies for the first time.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby John-Locke on Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:21 am

1 is the best but 3 is my favourite, two is great until they go back to the events of part one and it just gets boring although the Sci-Fi ideas earlier in the film are awesome.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby MonsieurReynard on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:58 am

Back To The Future 2 is my fave. Whilst one is a clever film, with a nice bit of culture clash and "what if?" in there, it lacks #2's intellegence.
What 2 does exceptionally well (and few sequels have done this since) is perfectly tie together the films- it incoporates the first one almost seamlessly and then gives us a perfect setup for #3.
Reynard City is back! Find out what the heck is going on at http://www.ecswebdesign.co.uk/wip/reynardcity/

*Free copy of Issue 1 *Reynard City Stories *An Audience With AK Girl and more...
MonsieurReynard
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Brit Pop on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:38 am

I have to go with number 2 as well... All of the future pop culture references were a bit tedious (cafe 80's, jaws 19 etc) but the rest was great.

Biff really came into his own as a real fuckstick, young Biff was as clueless as ever, old Biff was a real nasty piece of work, oldest Biff was a mean old bastard.

The whole Gray's Sports Almanac storyline was just brilliant. I liked the extra screen time Biff's cronies got ("we can do this the easy way or the hard way" *thwack* "the easy way")

Actually I should enter Thomas F Wilson into the actors who should be bigger thread.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby sonnyboo on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:51 am

Vince wrote: Chris Lloyd was there too, he wasn't that fun to hear either, which surprised me, cause that guy produced Fraiser and should be one hell of an animated fuck.

Wrong Christopher Lloyd....

The actor was NOT a producer/writer on FRASIER.

Christopher Lloyd (II)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0515941/

versus

Christopher Lloyd (I)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000502/
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby moose4787 on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:53 am

I always like 2 when i was little. It had flying cars and hovering skatbordes. Now tho id have to say that 1 is my favriote because it was most original.
Xbox live profile: Moose4787
moose4787
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby bamf on Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:41 pm

Back To The Future 4 could take place in the 80's? Marty goes back to reveal to Doc Brown that presently there is:

NO hoverboards, or flying cars (besides ones being blown up by IEDs)

NO Jaws 17

NO Cubs winning the world series

Marty tells the Doc this, and then kicks him in the nuts. Roll credits.

*edit, I have a fond recollection of 2. In the days before internets, and spoilers, little bamf had no idea that there was going to be a 3. 2 is just plain fun.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Coldfire24 on Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:47 pm

I loved part 3 growing up but now I love one and two. One being my favorite...two would be my favorite if it had more Crispin Glover
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Neo Zeed on Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:07 pm

I like Part two the best because of the dark storyline and the breakneck pace. It's really rewatchable. Part one is a classic and I lstill love it.

Part three was really weak. Whenever it's on cable I can only stand the Marty and 1955 Doc stuff and the end (the train stuff). Micheal J. Fox as his own ancestor was snooze city.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:11 pm

Part 1. And I added a poll.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:30 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Part 1. And I added a poll.

Seconded...except for the adding of the poll part...

I tried...but alas...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Vicarious on Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:42 pm

1 is the best overall, hands down. One of my favorite 2 or 3 movies ever, and much of the dialogue I have memorized.

2 is a bit of a mess but lots of fun, and I love it to death. It's so ridiculous at times that it's genius.

3 shouldn't have been made. It's not awful, but it's certainly more than a little stupid and unnecessary. The western element really didn't work for me, and Zemeckis and Gale pound the viewer over the head with many story elements. Also, the ending was kind of dumb.

Still, I watched the hell out of all 3 of these as a kid on VHS, and the series as a whole will always hold a special place in my heart, more than any other series of films. Also, they are really the only films that I loved as a kid that I love just as much now at age 20.
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Vicarious on Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:48 pm

"The power of love is a curious thing
Make a one man weep, make another man sing
Change a hawk to a little white dove
More than a feeling that's the power of love

Tougher than diamonds, rich like cream
Stronger and harder than a bad girl's dream
Make a bad one good make a wrong one right
Power of love that keeps you home at night

You don't need money, don't take fame
Don't need no credit card to ride this train
It's strong and it's sudden and it's cruel sometimes
But it might just save your life
That's the power of love
That's the power of love

First time you feel it, it might make you sad
Next time you feel it it might make you mad
But you'll be glad baby when you've found
That's the power makes the world go 'round

And it don't take money, don't take fame
It's strong and it's sudden it can be cruel sometimes
But it might just save your life

They say that all in love is fair
Yeah, but you don't care
But you know what to do
When it gets hold of you
And with a little help from above
You feel the power of love
Can you feel it ?
Hmmm

It don't take money and it don't take fame
Tougher than diamonds and stronger than steel
You won't feel nothin' till you feel
You feel the power, just the power of love
That's the power, that's the power of love
Feel the power of love"
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:52 pm

Ooo are we starting a Huey Lewis and the News thread??!?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:57 pm

The Back to the Future trilogy is one of my favorite trilogies (right behind Star Wars and the Indy films). They were funny, twisty, campy, actiony, but had a real emotional core. I wish more films were made in that vein.

Back to the Future is probably one of the most deftly constructed movies ever produced. There is no studly in this movie. Every line, character, event, they all have a purpose. The first act isn't overly long or packed with information, yet how many references to it do we get in the second act? More than I care to count presently. This movie was packed with information and references to other people and events and yet it was never confusing. Zemekis was able to keep things simple, even though they weren't. The movie goes down smooth: it's light funny adventure with lots of interesting characters and amusing dialogue. I love watching this movie.

Back to the Future Part II isn't a light funny adventure with lots of interesting characters and amusing dialogue. Sure, this movie was a comedy, but it wasn't as funny as the first, mainly because it got so dark so fast and stayed that way for a good chunk of the film. All the characters we met were ones we've already met for the most part. And only the main three were captivating (Marty, Doc, Biff). Whereas the first movie seemed carefully constructed to pack in as much information as possible without confusing the audience, the second one seemed to throw everything in but the kitchen sink and sort it out later. There is a lot going on in this movie, I dare say too much. This isn't really a movie you can't sit back and enjoy. It requires that you pay close attention and it also demands that you've seen and know the first film intimately or you won't get a lot of the jokes and references. I think the reason why I consider this movie the weakest of the three films is because it is highly plot-driven whereas the other two were more character-driven. And the characters is what made the first movie so great. I don't dislike Part II, but it's the one I watch the least because it really doesn't stand on its own. It works better as a middle installment of a trilogy than a film in its own right. Unlike a movie like The Empire Strikes Back which I can enjoy separately from the other films. This movie is just too dependent on the other two to make it fit. That being said, I love watching the sequence when they go back to the dance in 1955 and then the clocktower probably because some of the charm of the first film leaked through. :P

Back to the Future Part III was a much more simple movie than its predecessor. You start in 1955, you end up in 1885, and that's where you stay for the vast majority of the film. This movie was less concerned with plot than Part II and instead spent time with some good old Marty-Doc interaction (which was sorely missed from the previous film where they spent most their time separately) and a budding romance between Doc and Clara. The nods to the first movie didn't really work as well this time (the whole waking up in 1885 thing, buying a drink, the town chase, etc.) instead feeling old and repetitive since the nods in the second film seemed more inventive (and made more sense in context). Luckily, Part III doesn't spend a lot of time being self-referential and instead chooses to hash out some character stuff with Doc and Marty. Marty becomes a man in this movie and Doc chooses love over science (blasphemy!). The train sequence was action highlight of this movie, full of suspense and escalating peril. And it made good use of the hoverboard. ;) The denouement was a little long, but I guess there wasn't much Zemekis could do since he was wrapping up a trilogy and not a single film. The end with Doc on the time train was a little cheesy, but I guess you have to go out on a high note. Other than that, I really enjoyed this film. Not as good as the first, but it's definitely more fun than the second. It at least tried to bring back some charm into the series and to have fun with the characters again.

Back to the Future 5 stars (¡muy excellente!)

Back to the Future Part II 3.5 stars (above average)

Back to the Future Part III 4 stars (good, solid movie)
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:59 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Ooo are we starting a Huey Lewis and the News thread??!?

We can't. That would be breaking the rules. My Nazism dictates anything even remotely related to Back to the Future and/or cars that travel through time be folded into this thread.

And that's the Puh-puh-puh-power of Love.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby EWS on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:03 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Ooo are we starting a Huey Lewis and the News thread??!?

We can't. That would be breaking the rules. My Nazism dictates anything even remotely related to Back to the Future and/or cars that travel through time be folded into this thread.

monorail77 wrote:I officially vote EWS as way fucking coolest guy in the Zone

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
Remember, your new thread always belongs somewhere else!
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:16 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:

But what if we find ourselves discusing if it is hip to be square?

Hip To Be Square
Gibson / Hopper / Lewis

I used to be a renegade, I used to fool around
But I couldn't take the punishment, and had to settle down
Now I'm playing it real straight, and yes I cut my hair
You might think I'm crazy, but I don't even care
Because I can tell what's going on
It's hip to be square

I like my bands in business suits, I watch them on TV
I'm working out most everyday and watching what I eat
They tell me that it's good for me, but I don't even car
I know that it's crazy
I know that it's nowhere
But there is no denying that
It's hip to be square

It's not too hard to figure out, you see it everyday
And those that were the farthest out have gone the other way
You see them on the freeway, It don't look like a lot of fun
But don't you try to fight it; "An idea who's time has come."

Don't tell me that I'm crazy
Don't tell me I'm nowhere
Take it from me
It's hip to be square

Or how about new drugs??!?

I Want A New Drug
C. Hayes / H. Lewis

I want a new drug
One that won't make me sick
One that won' make me crash my car
Or make me feel three feet thick

I want a new drug
One that won't hurt my head
One that won't make my mouth too dry
Or make my eyes too red

One that won't make me nervous
Wondering what to do
One that makes me feel like I feel when I'm with you
When I'm alone with you

I want a new drug
One that won't spill
One that don't cost too much
Or come in a pill

I want a new drug
One that won't go away
One that won't keep me up all night
One that won't make me sleep all day

Wondering what to do
When I'm alone with you
I'm alone with you baby

I want a new drug
One that does what it should
One that won't make me feel too bad
One that won't make me feel too good

I want a new drug
One with no doubt
One that won't make me talk too much
Or make my face break out

Wondering what to do
When I'm alone with you
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:17 pm

I am fired arn't I?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:18 pm

Doesn't matter. Nazism is as Nazism does.

...and I freakin' LOVE Huey Lewis and the News.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:19 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Doesn't matter. Nazism is as Nazism does.

Me too!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:33 pm

No love for "Perfect World"? Not one of his bigger hits, but it's kinda catchy. :)
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Peven on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:36 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:

Me too!!

back when it came out, i literally wore out my casette of "Sports" from listening to it over and over and over and over.

one of my favorite Huey Lewis tunes is "Do You Believe In Love" too, from a previous album.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:36 pm

"If This Is It" is the song that always gets stuck in my head.

I really like "Naturally"
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:42 pm

The first one is by far the best. The second was cool, and makes the first one seem that much cooler when you think that all that other stuff with the other Marty (from part 2) is happening at the same time as the things from part one. Part three was meh to average.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:06 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:The first one is by far the best. The second was cool, and makes the first one seem that much cooler when you think that all that other stuff with the other Marty (from part 2) is happening at the same time as the things from part one. Part three was meh to average.

No no...Huey Lewis and the News
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:35 pm

Huey Lewis was the bomb in back to the future yo...

High-School Band Audition Judge wrote:Hold it, fellas. I'm afraid you're just too darn loud.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Neo Zeed on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:44 pm

Huey Lewis is the bomb! The Power of Love rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GATOdvKxw

Can't say the same for ZZ Top...Part three was lacking in the Huey department :)
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby John-Locke on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:51 pm

Peven wrote:

Me too!!

back when it came out, i literally wore out my casette of "Sports" from listening to it over and over and over and over.

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consumate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:51 pm

Neo Zeed wrote:Huey Lewis is the bomb! The Power of Love rules.

Can't say the same for ZZ Top...Part three was lacking in the Huey department :)

Bah!!!

ZZ Top is the rocking-est bunch of HASIDIC JEWS EVAR!!!111

Doubleback might not be their greatest song...

(that title is reserved for either "Got Me Under Pressure" or "Blue Jean Blues") but they did seem to fit right into the Western setting...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:56 pm

John-Locke wrote:
Peven wrote:
Bo b Poopflingius Maximus wrote:

Me too!!

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consumate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

Seconded. Damn who knew there was this much Huey love. Did I ever tell you guys that they had a free concert with them in downtown Austin?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby John-Locke on Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:02 pm

John-Locke wrote:
Peven wrote:

Me too!!

Seconded. Damn who knew there was this much Huey love. Did I ever tell you guys that they had a free concert with them in downtown Austin?

I like Huey Lewis but I prefer Phil Collins

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual.

It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Flumm on Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:06 pm

IPAMPILASH!!1

I love you, Locke, you wiley gentlemen you.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:08 pm

Back to The Future 0: Forward from the Past.

/million dollar idea
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:34 pm

John-Locke wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
Peven wrote:

Me too!!

I like Huey Lewis but I prefer Phil Collins

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual.

It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Um...I just got really scared. An American Psycho moment if you will. Remind me to never hang out iwth you alone :shock:
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby John-Locke on Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:37 pm

Damn, I was looking forward to 'returning some videotapes' after we finally meet.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion