IMAX Films

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

IMAX Films

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:26 pm

Advice needed. Going to the Science Museum on Monday, taking along my younger cousins and want to see a Imax film. Which ones are worth seeing?

These are the options available:
Deep Sea 3D
Magnificent Desolation 3D
Sharks 3D
Wild Safari 3D

(I wanted to see Aliens of the Deep, but they've stopped showing it)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:28 pm

Not seen any, but kids like animals so Safari.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Brocktune on Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:32 pm

the only one ive seen is Deep Sea 3D. i definitely reccomend it. although depp and winslet's narration skills are weak at best. it was so bad, it was almost a distraction a time or two. but i swear, that movie has the most beautiful and strange shit you will ever see in it! and elfmans score is some of the best work he has done in a long time.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:36 pm

Brocktune wrote:the only one ive seen is Deep Sea 3D. i definitely reccomend it. although depp and winslet's narration skills are weak at best. it was so bad, it was almost a distraction a time or two. but i swear, that movie has the most beautiful and strange shit you will ever see in it! and elfmans score is some of the best work he has done in a long time.

Seconded. Pretty but bring a walkman
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Re: Imax films

Postby mushookie on Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:18 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Magnificent Desolation 3D

That Sounds AWESOME!!!
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Location: The land where Alice Cooper's "Frankenstien" will never be fed.

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:16 pm

I'm in two minds about Magnifcent Desolation. It'd be the first choice for me, considering the subject matter, but the trailer makes it all look a bit false and staged.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: IMAX Films

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 12, 2009 11:22 am

fake imax vs. real imax

i went to see the dark knight at a REAL imax theater... at the smithsonian. it was awesome.

so when watchmen came out, i wanted to see it in an imax theater. it wasn't playing the smithsonian or any other nearby imax theater, so i went to an AMC imax theater. for the extra $4, i got better picture quality, and a slightly bigger screen... that's it. it wasn't worth the $4 extra. and it definitely wasn't imax. if that had been the first time i'd seen imax, i would've felt ripped off and written it off completely. luckily, i'd seen a REAL imax movie before. as it is, there's no way i'll go to another imax film unless it's playing at a real imax theater. and i agree with the article, if people begin associating imax with paying 4 or 5 bucks extra and not getting the truly awe-inspiring experience of a real imax movie, they won't go to ANY imax movies, even at the good theaters.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue May 12, 2009 11:31 am

We got something like three IMAX theatres in Germany! (And I have to spend at least 4 hours in a train to reach even one of them!) I just hope that they won't start putting up fake IMAXes over here, to give the brand a wider appeal. (Appereantly they are cheaper than the real theatres.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby ManaByte on Tue May 12, 2009 1:54 pm

I have the DVD of Magnifcent Desolation and I thought it would be all fake and staged, but if you're an Apollo nut it's fantastic. Tom Hanks narrates it, and if you know anything about him he's about as big a NASA geek as you can get. Definitely see it if you like the subject matter. It's a great companion to From the Earth to the Moon, which Hanks did.
ManaByte
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby tapehead on Tue May 12, 2009 7:13 pm

tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby bastard_robo on Wed May 13, 2009 11:58 pm

THOSE FUCKING SWINE...

You know, when I went to see Wolverine, I went to a theater that I wasn't TOO familiar with. They were selling tickets to their IMAX experience of the film, and I was looking around.. WERE THE FUCK DO THEY KEEP AN IMAX? I know of all the IMAX'S in my local area, and I wasn't aware of this theater having one.

I guess my question is now answered.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:39 am

roger ebert has something to say about fake imax... and 3D, and digital projection, and maxivision, and.......
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:41 pm

There's a fake IMAX now? How in the world are you supposed to know which you are getting? Gah!!!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:18 pm

So...it's an Imax film and projected using Imax projectors...but not on the giant screen that EVERYONE associates with Imax films?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:44 pm

Fried Gold wrote:So...it's an Imax film and projected using Imax projectors...but not on the giant screen that EVERYONE associates with Imax films?

from what i understand, it's not film at all. it's digital.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:20 pm

Yeah, it's a screen that is a little larger than a standard movie theater screen, but nowhere close to the size of a true IMAX screen, and it's a digital print, not IMAX film. Those articles linked to mention some pixel issues on those screens, as well.

When I see an IMAX movie, I expect two things: a giant screen and clarity that I won't get anywhere else. This "fake IMAX" doesn't sound like it delivers either.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:39 pm

So the key issue is just that it was advertised as Imax, but turned out to be on a wee screen?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:05 am

It's the size of the screen and the fact that you aren't watching a true IMAX print, but a digitized copy that meets their criteria.

People think it'll cause product confusion and/or dilute the quality of the IMAX brand. Much like New Coke in the '80s: it was named Coke, it was packaged as Coke, but it wasn't the Coke everyone wanted. Now we have Coke Classic.

Theaters actually want to just brand it "IMAX Digital" but IMAX said no. I think they're shooting themselves in the foot with this one.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:50 am

CinemaCon: Christopher Nolan Warns Theatre Owners: How ‘Interstellar’ Is Presented Will Be More Important Than Any Film He’s Done Before
PETE HAMMOND wrote:But, knowing his audience, he did talk about how the film will be presented. “We shot quite a lot of the film in IMAX, more than we had ever done in the past. There will be some really beautiful IMAX film prints that will be in certain key locations. And we are really maximizing the various technical capabilities out there, particularly in the sound mix. We have very ambitious plans in how we are going to take a very big approach as to how we maximize the potential of the existing sound system in theatres…using existing equipment, you don’t have to buy anything new. Really what we are attempting to do is give audiences a better experience, an immersive experience. We are looking to theatre owners to really transport us and give us the best they can in how we get that out to the public. As they say, the projectionist has the final cut. I really think on this film the technical aspect of how this film is presented is really going to be more important than on any film I’ve done before, so that means getting into partnership with the studios and theatres,” he said.

Unlike Martin Scorsese and James Cameron who have done this spot at previous CinemaCons, Nolan consistently extolled his love for and belief in using film rather than all the emerging digital formats. “I am not committed to film out of nostalgia. I am in favor of any kind of technical innovation but it needs to exceed what has gone before and so far nothing has exceeded anything that’s come before (meaning film),” he said before extolling IMAX as a format that can’t be touched in terms of resolution.

Christopher Nolan on ‘Interstellar’ and Preserving the Theatrical Experience
Alexandra Cheney wrote:A huge proponent of IMAX, Nolan says he shot more of “Interstellar” on IMAX cameras than ever before but that he used spatial interiors and “real environments,” in effect shooting the film and the actor’s responses to action “like a documentary.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:50 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:52 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: IMAX TV? ‘Marvel’s The Inhumans’

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:19 pm