Stray Film Thoughts/Questions

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Stray Film Thoughts/Questions

Postby wonkabar on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:53 pm

This a thread where you can spout-off random thoughts about anything in or about movies without having to start a new topic or search for an existing discussion. Think of it as the "general interest" of Movie Reviews.

Now that this is here I would like to announce that I think pretty much all of Tim Burton's movies are teh suk...plus I think he's a total queen.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:55 pm

i completely agree with the exception of Batman, Beetlegeuse and Big Fish
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:58 pm

I found the Godfather films slightly disappointing.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:59 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:i completely agree with the exception of Batman, Beetlegeuse and Big Fish

I agree, but minus Batman, and adding Ed Wood instead
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:00 pm

I liked Batman Returns a good deal more than the first film. Ed Wood is fun but has very little to do with the real Ed Wood. I think Sleepy Hollow was his most stylish and beautiful film.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:03 pm

Don't make me split this off into a Tim Burton thread, you fucks!

:twisted:
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:13 pm

The Road to Wellville has a really good line in it:

"My own stools, sir, are gigantic and have no more odour than a hot biscuit. "
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:32 pm

I got Swingers on at the mo...........Goddamn Heather Graham rocks!!!

This film really makes me want to go out with my buddies

Sleep, Tape, MisterTim and kirk are all on the piss at the mo.......lucky bastards!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:46 pm

Fried Gold wrote:The Road to Wellville has a really good line in it:

"My own stools, sir, are gigantic and have no more odour than a hot biscuit. "

BWAHAHAHAHAH

Good one.

It's been a while since I saw that film, it's actually rather good no?

And you Burton haters are forgetting about the brilliance that is Pee Wee's Big Adventure, his third best film behind Big Fish & Ed Wood.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby wonkabar on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:52 pm

John-Locke wrote:
And you Burton haters are forgetting about the brilliance that is Pee Wee's Big Adventure, his third best film behind Big Fish & Ed Wood.

I agree, I love that film, but I think more credit should go to Paul Reubens than Burton for the funny in that film. The actual directing/editing really sucks
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:53 pm

With wonka around I feel this plase is just getting more random...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby wonkabar on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:05 pm

ooklee nooma
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Brocktune on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:07 pm

yes, ill bet you have

BLAST!!!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:35 pm

What would happen if you watched Congo and Anaconda back to back?

Im thinking Black Hole

Anyone?
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:46 am

Pee Wee in many ways is probably Tim Burton's best film. It at least succeeded in it's goals, as a comedy, where most of his other films have failed in theirs. I'll pretty much give out credit to Ed Wood though. It deserves full respect.

I'll also go out and say this, that I think that movies these days are probably less a cinematic art form than they ever have been in temrs of CGI. Whereas before you were seeing visuals created by cinematic means, with the odd exception of matte paintings (not overdone matte paintings too), nowadyas you're getting computer art and technique to create a lot of images, then practically copying and pasting it over onto the movie image. That's computer art and animation, not cinematic art in my ways. Will there ever really be a movie like Apocalypse Now/Ben Hur again? Those MOVIES feel pretty much dead to me now. A so called movei that would come out today that looks similar to them, isn't so much a MOVIE now, but a great percentage of it being COMPUTER.

Attack of the Clones anyone? When that film came out I thought to myself that this is the LEAST movie that I have ever seen. It is like what, 50% done by cinematic means, and 50% computerised.

It's OK to get visuals if you can't get them by the limits of film making, but even then, you're still watching a computer's result onscreen, yeah OK, but when people just go and make visuals by their Mac that they could literally physically film themselves then you can Fuck Right Off!! Those shitty chopper images in We Were Soldiers and those unconvincing CGI Cloners.

There you go. Random THIS Bitches!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:01 am

I prefer The Phantom Menace to Attack of the Clones.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:05 am

YOu must be joking!

Liam Neeson hasn't a thing on Hayden I HATE THEM!!!! Christensen!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:54 am

The only 'problem' Burton has as a filmmaker is that he has TOO much imagination - so much so that sometimes it goes unchecked. Gilliam has the same 'problem'. But like Gilliam, I'd rather watch a director who dares to dream his work into reality (even if he sometimes fail) than watch a conceited, calculated director like Cameron or Tarantino.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:18 am

God help me, I really really like Joe Vs the Volcano.

Something about it just makes me sit down and watch it everytime it is on. TBS is a blessing and a curse. They show it but too frequently.

Beautiful little happy story though.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:06 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:God help me, I really really like Joe Vs the Volcano.

Something about it just makes me sit down and watch it everytime it is on. TBS is a blessing and a curse. They show it but too frequently.

Beautiful little happy story though.

I feel your pain. I'm exactly the same about Scrooged. A disgraceful state of affairs, I know. But what can you do? Sometimes, it's a case of ours is not to reason, just succumb.

Well, that's my excuse anyway. And I'm sticking by it :oops:
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:37 pm

Oh no!!! I like Scrooged as well. That and The Christmas Story are the holliday staples....
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby zarandi on Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:39 pm

scroooged is great!

also: goodfellas has my favourite camerawork ever in a film. oh and it's my fave film of all time.
zarandi
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Peven on Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:44 pm

liking "Scrooged" is nothing to be ashamed about at all. one of my top 10 Christmas movies. "A Christmas Story" is #1 on that list, btw.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:39 am

Peven wrote:liking "Scrooged" is nothing to be ashamed about at all. one of my top 10 Christmas movies. "A Christmas Story" is #1 on that list, btw.

Zarandi wrote: scrooged is great!

Vindication at last! :wink:
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:15 am

Okay so should this have its own thread o rnot? 649 posts later and I still don't understand hwat you can get away with as athread on the Zone or not... I'd like to talk about the below... so what should I do?

:-)

From what have you been watching:

Ok, ignoring the bullshgit above - I have to chime in on a surprise I got!

Last night I watched THE KRAYS.

Now I've seen this movie a few times before. But not in , oooh I dunno, 5 or 6 years, maybe more, maybe 7....

anyway, basically I ain't seen it very recently... but when I first saw it I was in high school. And at that time it was showing on TV and people would be like "ooohh boy did you see that Krays film last night boy? Proper well fucking puker boy!"

Conversations over the years would increase in its intelligence to comments such as: "Yeah boy, how fucking good is that there film, how about the bit when the sword is pushed through his hand"

And thats the stuff I remember. I remember when Martin Kemp turned up on Eastenders, and his shitness shone through, I used to comment: "Yeah but he was in The Krays? So he can't be that bad an actor..."

To which would be replied:

"Yeah boy, how fucking good is that there film, how about the bit when the sword is pushed through his hand"

So my jaded young memories of the film where of a tough, gritty British gangster film about two of our most notrious gangsters.

Well upon channeling flipping last night me and my gf discovered this film about to start... my gf loves true live gangsters etc and actually has a connection to the Krays, which is pretty cool, so she wanted to watch it - having never seen it...

I was like: "Oh yeah, it spretty cool - check out old Spandau Ballet!"

or

"Yeah boy, how fucking good is that there film, how about the bit when the sword is pushed through his hand"

So we sat down and watched it. Started like I remember with them as kids, the child twins all did good jobs. However they seemed to be over directed to play them as scary, supernatural twins. Its like the two tins in LEague of Gentlemen OR the director just kept showing them the twins in THE SHNINING and saying: DO THAT! DO THAT!

Then they became adults and the Kemp brothers (Spandau Ballet to 80's lovers of the world) came ont he screen. Now I want this film to rule!

This film could rule the fucking world. A kick ass british gangster film about to brohters who love their mother and look out for thier neihgbour hood (but of course, themselves first!)

Show their darks ide, show their "good" side. SHow them for who they were. Do it as a British Goodfella's or a gritty, FUCK YOU British gangster film. Perhaps in the style of Get Carter etc

But it ain't... it wants to be... but it ain't. MOre on that later

So The Kemp brothers, portraying Ronnie and Reggie Kray, come along and begin to act. At first I think maybe its me, but they seem a bit dodge.

I soon realise that they didn't get hired for their secretly amazing (or even good. Or even average) acting talents. They're pretty damn poor. Martin Kemp was the better - but that ain't saying much!

They wanted to do good. They weren't phoning in a performance. They just couldn't do it. They looked like they knew they were in a "cool" gangster film! They weren't cool. They were playing cool. DenIro in Goodfella's IS COOL. PAcino in Godfather IS COOL. Johnny Depp in Donnie BRasco IS COOL. etc etc. Maybe putting godfather int heir is out of order - but I think Goodfella's is fair enough - mid level lcoal thugns wanna be bigger than they are.

ANyway - the long and short of it is they were prett bad. Which is a problem as they are the focus of the film. But because they were obviously enjoying themselves and its such a piece of London history (the Krays - not the film!) that we kept watching - and it wasn't truly awful. Well...

That was until something happened...

Katie Hardie, playing Reggie Krays wife, Frances, comes into the frame. An interesting character. Normal guy chucked into this violent life style. This fucked up violent world.

Now Katie Hardie (daughter of Bill"fucking" Oddie!!) Has been in things such as Mona LIsa and Cry Freedom - but I can't remember her, so perhaps not that big a role - I would hope now.

Katie Hardie puts in one of the single worst performances I have ever seen in a "proper" film. NOw I've made my share of films and therefore worked with my share of bad actors. I seen them in my contempories films and I've seen them audtion. Almost none of them come close to this ladies skills. SHe is truely awful!

She makes the Kemp brothers look good! Really fucking good! They seem to step it up a notch when she's on screen!

There is a scene where she is crying and arguing with Martin Kemp (reg) because she is buying her stuff and she doesn't like it. Now in this scene is a perfect example of bad acting! If you give a lecutre on how not to do things in film - show this.

It was baaaad! Look away fromt he screen bad! The cast and crew must have been so embarressed to be on the set. Because what can you do? I don't think the director had the skills to hone her "talents" - so they're fucked! But people must have known on the day! IT can be easily missed on a rush schedule - but this is goddamn film ruining awful!

IT was at this point in the film that I turned to my girlfriend and said: "I would take my name off of this film. If I had directed this, it wouldn't be on here with her peformance"

SO enugh said about Katie Hardie - I don't believe in getting personel, and I'm sure she's lovely - just like Bill! But for acting - forget about it!

So was the film just cast with bad actors? No I don't think so... I think there heart of the problem lies in one place: The Director

It is directed by Peter Medak who hasn't done a lot of film. He works a lot in TV, he did such gritty realism as Magnum P.I before getting to grips with the notrious Kray brothers!

I think he went at this with honest intentions. He though this was going to put him in the big time. Make a low key British gangster film and he'll be the next John Boorman

Well one of hte problems is - I don't think he quite knew what film he was making. Some times there would be a camera move that would look like he's going a for cool, showy gnagster style - then some of it was more like the classic British, Kitchen Sink style of filmmaking.

It looked like a film student who was given this as his first project. No, scrap that, a 16 year old media studies student, who has potential, whose been given this project. He is scared to do too much, but every so often lets go.

The problem is, when he let go, it looked naff! Like a scene where the camera crash zooms into each Kray brother as they play pool against one another. He's saying: "LOOK! Remeber, they're twins and they are the same - and they're dramatic characters! Oh, and don't forget theres a director at work here!"

I think the amount of bad performances in the film can also be down to Medak. I think TV perfomances, escpially in 80's fare like Magnum PI acting isn't atop the list. I don't think Medak cut his teeth well, some people can, but not Medak.

I don't think any director would have let the film continue with a perfomance like Katie Hardies in there...

The final moan is about the script, which I also put weigh ton the director and producers because they should have asked for better! However I don't know about the politics of the film and there might have been no choice.

The script isn't too bad. Its one of the better things about it - again, though, not saying much! But it hacks thourhg things at times!

The Krays weren't as amazing characters as people say (not amazing as in good, amazing as in interesting gangsters) but they do have appeal and a good film is in there somewhere. But screenwriter Philip Ridley (who hasn't written anything else of note!) spends time telling the story, trying to open up the characters (with better acting maybe this would have happened - so not his fault!) but then at the end it seems panic sets in: OH SHIT I'M ALMOST OUT OF TIME! And BAM! It ends. Like, the film just jump to an end scene and thats it.

A very interesting character in the real life Kray's era is Mad Frankie Fraiser. I don't know why he's not involved in this film (i.e his character isn't in there) it maybe down to permissions etc. But he was a proper fucking nut! As you can see if you go on one of his tours in London! Heh heh - those nice old gangsters!

I would have been nice to cut down on the child stuff at the begining. I can see what he was doing, but the rest of film was pretty naff so it didn't pay off!

They did have some balls to try stuff. That showed the portrayal of Ronnie Kray as a homosexual. They showed Reggies homelife with his missus, and the drama of having an eastend gangster as a husband. They showed their love for their mother, according to this a bond so strong its partly what led them to crime. It also showed their family life. It really tried to show their surroundings, and perhaps was trying to show how they ended up how they were. Or perhaps show that is was a SURPRISE that they ended up how they were.

It say surprise, because in this film, although they live in War torn, Blitz ridden England and are on the poverty line - you never really get that feeling. Oh sure they say it somes times "TRY BRINING THREE BOYS UP WHEN YOU'RE ON THE BREADLINE DURING THE WAR" but other than that, everything seems clena an din order. There houses seem alright. The dad and grandad seem like good ole boys. A bit of drinking and boxing. Salt of the earth. And in one scene, where the dad GOES for the mother - but is stopped by the twins, we see the potential for abuse at home. BUt its never really shown again. So I'm guessing, at least in the universe within the film, this never happened. So according to this film The KRays upbringing was fairly ordinary for that time in history.

NO abuse, they didn't live on the street, they're parents were whores or drug addicts, they had a tight family unit. They were deeply loved by their mother etc. So why did they turn bad? WHy indeed. You just won't get the answer in this film.

SPOILER:

So the end of the film. Well, its seems like things might be picking up as the brothers plot to take down to unrelated people who have been mouthing them off.

SPOILER GETTING BIGGER!!!

But as soon as they have been offed. BAM: Its some years later (eighties) and the brothers are older and at their mothers funeral. BAM black screen its the end!

NOw this last scene has Medak's best work. Everyones best work! The Kemps don't have to do anything except stand there in old make up and look sad - its good make up and they do a good job at looking sad but the camera, in one long shot, moves down and around the Police filled cemetry, past gravestones and around the hand cuffed brothers to show them as old, lonely men.

Its nice work. But way too little, way too late. BEcause the film then ends.

So we're not too sure what they got put down for. The murder of Cornell and Jack the Hat? Maybe, but maybe not.

That ain't the biggest problem but it kinda backs up the fact that the film feels "unfinished". Or like its a poor rough cut. Because there is nothing at the end.

OH SHIT ITS TWO HOURS! END IT! OH FUCK! END IT!!!!!!!

Phew, so there we go! If yo don't know anything about the Krays, see it, because it might house some truths. But as a film, regardless of its genre and intentions, it really is a let down for a mature viewer.

And I feel bad that have told people in the past that this film was alright.

Phew! Sorry about that people! I was just coming in to give my two cents! So sorry!

Thats the problem when I only get to watch one film at the weekend!

Hope yah all had a good film watching weekend!

:-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:33 am

Cheers for your thoughts, SBF! I didn't catch the film last night, but I've seen it many times before. I don't think it's that bad, but from what I remember, Katie Hardie is pretty terrible in it like you say. Billie Whitelaw steals the show as Mother Kray. I thought certain parts of the movie were done pretty well, like the murder of Jack the Hat, and let's face it, it's still a lot better than the hundreds of awful mockney disasters that came out after Lock, Stock!

Anyway, good to hear your thoughts on the movie -and yes, I think you posted this in the right place!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:05 am

Post Lock, Stock filsm were awful. THe only one that got caught up in that jumble that was anygood,a cutally its one of thebest british fils of the last ten years was Sexy Beast.

The KRays: The film has a strange enjoyable side to it. But that might be because I have fond memories of sneaking a viewing of it on a school night.

Katie Hardie is vile. Full fucking stop!

MOther Kray does still the show. She is the best thing in it.

Jack the Hat death is good but ruined by the following scene aka the end! :-)

Connell, who also is killed around the same time as Jack the Hat looks like he's going to be good but if you want to laugh watch the scene in the scrap yard where he talks to his men. Its classic "i;m a cockney hard man" ating. He points with everyword. Honestly, he thrusts his hand forward, while wearing his 3 1/4 length coat, and shouts every word.

"THESE..... FUCKING....KRAY.... BRUVA'S!!!"

I'm sorry but if you take the film for what it is, it is pretty fucking bad!

But I am torn, hence my long review. I think its the longest review I've ever written! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:16 am

DennisMM wrote:I liked Batman Returns a good deal more than the first film. Ed Wood is fun but has very little to do with the real Ed Wood. I think Sleepy Hollow was his most stylish and beautiful film.

I love running Sleepy Hollow & From Hell as a twin bill.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:17 am

silentbobafett wrote:Post Lock, Stock filsm were awful. THe only one that got caught up in that jumble that was anygood,a cutally its one of thebest british fils of the last ten years was Sexy Beast.

What about Layer Cake? I thought that was kinda cool.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby The Vicar on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:20 am

colonel_lugz wrote:What would happen if you watched Congo and Anaconda back to back?

Im thinking Black Hole

Anyone?

Ever see Videodrome?
Dont.
Fucking.
Do.
It.

We'd miss you, and whoever finds your body will have a nasty mess to clean up.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:20 am

I have Layer Cake at home and want to watch. Vaughn seems cool and it start Craig, so I'm open minded.

BUt I'm thinking of the forgetable crap, I mean Snatch, which I don't have much time for, is okay and because it is the same team as Lock Stock and Snatch it is almost excused from the post Lock Stock era.

Its kind of like Post Tarantino films, some are good and excell, but some are just rip offs. HOwever, Tarantino's films, although all in the same genre and if were done by anyone else would be labeled Post Tarantino, are spared that because THEY ARE Tarantino. Same as Snatch and Layer Cake.

BUt there was a big pile of steaming shite that came out after the cockney success of Lock Stock, a film which is fun but is by no means excellent!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:34 am

I fucking love Snatch!

oh....the film!!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:39 am

colonel_lugz wrote:I fucking love Snatch!

oh....the film!!

i love both :D

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:10 am

I love one of em. And it don't involve Jason Statham... :-) :-) :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:37 am

Somersault

I bought this Australian film with dodgy intent, namely that what I read made it sound like an 'interesting' (that's my word and I'm sticking to it) flick (heh) to watch.

And it was.

But it's also more than that. It's beautifully shot in particular, the cinematography capturing the snowy nature of the Australian set (though not necessarily filmed) location. The acting is really, really good... especially Abbie Cornish, who plays the lead character Heidi.

She's naked in all senses of the word, from the literal (tastefully shot) to the metaphorical... namely in that you don't see many actresses today who'll quite openly appear to break down convincingly in front of the camera, or leave themselves open to scenes that, while not flattering, are exceptionally powerful and harrowing to watch.

There's one moment at the end in particular where she's naked in both the senses I put across above, and just fucking owns the screen completely.

I had a similar reaction when I watched Chasing Amy. It's not a fun film, but it's a damn good one. Harrowing, powerful, well-acted, and one of the films that hits you hard and makes you re-evaluate certain things in your life.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Proinsias on Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:26 am

Waiting for The Sopranos to begin last night, I found The Wedding Planner ending on Film4.

JLo sits under a tree sorting out brown M&M's from a pack, tossing the others over her shoulder. Matthew McCockney struts out the mist behind her...he's come to get her back for the finale.
He catches a red M&M -

"Why d'you throw the others away?"

JLo spins round, tilts her head as the piano music starts and through a teary gaze she states:

"THE BROWN ONES HAVE LESS ARTIFICIAL COLOURINGS AND FLAVOURS....BECAUSE CHOCOLATE IS ALREADY BROWN....IT KINDA...STUCK WITH ME"

McCock's smile gets even bigger...

"You kinda stuck with me"

Piano music turns up.

I switched to The Sopranos.
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:33 am

McCock! Hahahahahahaha
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:24 am

colonel_lugz wrote:I fucking love Snatch!

oh....the film!!

Everytime I've always sat down and watched Snatch, it always stinks.

Oh, the FILM!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby unikrunk on Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:06 am

The VICE guide to Travel, is perhaps, the most amazing ‘travel guide’ ever put to film.

It is also completely fucking insane, produced and featuring insane people, hanging out with other insane people. Not to say they are the same brand of crazy, but you have to be a little fucked to do any of the things done in this film.

This is not ‘fire-crackers in the ass’, bullshit prank humor, it’s not Jackass (Although the Knoxville guy is in it), this is ‘your life could end at any minute’ crazy. Hanging out in the Congo, tripping your tits off with a tribe of pygmies looking for a dinosaur, hitting up Chernobyl to hunt mutant boars and bears, crazy.

When watching David Cross eat dog while visiting China to watch the Super-Bowl, I realized that many lines had been stepped over, and it had all gone too far. Shit, they knew it, you could see the utter despair in Cross’ eyes after he ate the dog (of course, Gavin was waving a picture of Lassie in his face). Then, they drink more, and forget about it. It’s like a Bukowski novella.

I’m fucking lazy, so that’s all I am going to say; this movie is a JEWEL.

Check out the trailer here
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:24 am

silentbobafett wrote:Post Lock, Stock filsm were awful.

It's still one of the minor mysteries of current cinema how Mr Madonna is (a) classed a film director at all and (b) how he gets the funding for whatever piece of tat he's making.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby justcheckin on Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:17 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:
silentbobafett wrote:Post Lock, Stock filsm were awful.

It's still one of the minor mysteries of current cinema how Mr Madonna is (a) classed a film director at all and (b) how he gets the funding for whatever piece of tat he's making.

I don't know about A but B... if you have money to start with, you have no trouble getting funding for whatever...
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:16 pm

Ok. I have no idea where to ask this but for the life of me I can not remember or find a better place. First off I know there are 2 animated rat movies coming out.

I also thought there were 2 penguin movies coming out as well. I seem to remember seeing two of them. One was Happy Feet and I remember another but do not remember the name of it. Can anyone help me or tell me I am wrong?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:21 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Ok. I have no idea where to ask this but for the life of me I can not remember or find a better place. First off I know there are 2 animated rat movies coming out.

I also thought there were 2 penguin movies coming out as well. I seem to remember seeing two of them. One was Happy Feet and I remember another but do not remember the name of it. Can anyone help me or tell me I am wrong?

The rat movies are "Flushed Away" by Aardman and Dreamworks and "Rattatouille" (sp?) by Brad Bird and Pixar...

Not sure about the other Penguin movie though...
But I think Rob Zombie is making it...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby justcheckin on Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:33 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Ok. I have no idea where to ask this but for the life of me I can not remember or find a better place. First off I know there are 2 animated rat movies coming out.

Would it be Farce of the Penguins?
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:43 pm

It could, it would, and it is.....THANK YOU!! I promise not to tell Kirk you are a girl.....DAMN!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby justcheckin on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:22 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:It could, it would, and it is.....THANK YOU!! I promise not to tell Kirk you are a girl.....DAMN!!

:wink:
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:33 pm

By way of joblo, a couple of interesting little things for general movie geeks, Kubrickian Kubrickites, and Wonkabar, who may or not be both...

[quote="timesonline.com"]

[size=84]

He never stopped worrying, or learnt to love the bomb

In a rare interview, Christiane Kubrick tells James Christopher about her husband, his work and his epic Cold War satire

The gravel drive leading up to Christiane Kubrick’s mansion near St Albans in Hertfordshire is protected by three sets of electronic gates and “Strictly Privateâ€
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:29 am

The Nightmare Before Christmas in Disney Digital 3-D

I saw this tonight with my brother at Pleasure Island 24. I really like this movie and I didn't want to miss the chance to see it in digital 3-D. Because the film was made 13 years ago for a 2-D format, this movie doesn't pop out at you like some other 3-D movies might. But because of the stop-motion animation, the entire world has more depth now and some shots pop so much I felt like I wanted to reach out and touch the screen. The digital surround sound didn't hurt the experience either. ILM added some visual effects to enhance the 3-D experience and it didn't detract from the film in the least. I'm afraid after what I experienced tonight my DVD is going to seem rather flat by comparison. I really had a good time at this movie and will probably try to see it again before it leaves theaters.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Eunuch Provocateur on Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:02 am

Blue Velvet.

In typical David Lynch fashion, I walked away from this movie with a "What the fuck...Holy shit." Type of reaction, and it was for different reasons than Mulholland Dr. and Lost Highway and Eraserhead. He can confuse the shit out of you in so many different ways...

I didn't like Mulholland Dr. very much, though... I dunno why...

Typical David Lynch reaction: "What the fuck. That wasn't terrible, it wasn't good, but it was absolutely mind blowing... I have to watch it again." Absolute 9\10. Any movie that sticks with me like that deserves a high rating. My God. I just didn't like the fact that Frank called people "fuck" instead of "fucker." It bothered me.
There's no Devil, just God when he's drunk. -Tom Waits.
Eunuch Provocateur
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DennisMM on Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:57 pm

HELP!

Julia needs to confirm something. In the director's commentary for del Toro's The Devil's Backbone, he mentions how much fun it was to build the giant "pickled punks." Does he say, "Who doesn't like giant fetuses?" "Who doesn't love giant fetuses?" Something else I can't recall? Much love for any assistance.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Next

Return to Movie Discussion