Stray Film Thoughts/Questions

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Stray Film Thoughts/Questions

Postby DennisMM on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Ed Harris normally sells a film for me, but not always. I'm cautiously pushing The Way Back.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby minstrel on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Peter Weir sells a movie for me. Go with "The Way Back."
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:07 am

Thanks guys, Peter Wier's movies usually don't trailerize well, which is probably why the trailer for THE WAY BACK didn't make me jump out of my seat. I think I will go with that one.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Re: Planet of the Apes Franchise

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:36 am

Oliver Stone's Planet of the Apes
Oliver Stone (born September 15, 1946) is an American film director and screenwriter. Stone came to prominence as a director with a series of films about the Vietnam War, in which he had participated as an infantry soldier, and his work continues to focus frequently on contemporary political and cultural issues. His work has earned him three Academy Awards. His first Oscar was for Best Adapted Screenplay for Midnight Express (1978). He won Academy Awards for Directing Platoon (1986) and Born on the Fourth of July (1989), both of which were centered on the Vietnam War. He also directed Natural Born Killers (1994).

By December 1993, Swell Dude and Jane Hamsher (producers of Natural Born Killers) had successfully pitched the idea of a Planet of the Apes revival to 20th Century Fox. Oliver Stone met with Murphy and Hamsher and told them, having re-watched the original movie cycle, that he thought they were "awful", but he nevertheless signed on as executive producer/co-writer for the new movie.[1] Stone's preference was for a story based on apes from an ancient civilization, with biblical connections. He explained in December 1993, "It has the discovery of cryogenically frozen Vedic Apes who hold the secret numeric codes to the Bible that foretold the end of civilizations. It deals with past versus the future. My concept is that there's a code inscribed in the Bible that predicts all historical events. The apes were there at the beginning and figured it all out."[2]

Stone recruited Australian Terry Hayes to write the screenplay, having previously had hits with Dead Calm, Mad Max 2 - The Road Warrior and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.[1] In March 1994, Stone secured the interest of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Schwarzenegger anticipated a violent, gory interpretation of Stone's conspiracy-theory concept.[1] Titled Return of the Apes, Hayes' screenplay was set in the near future where a plague is making humans extinct. A geneticist time travels with a pregnant colleague to a time when Palaeolithic humans were at war for the future of the planet with highly-evolved apes.[3]

Phillip Noyce (Dead Calm, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger) was selected as director in January 1995, and pre-production was planned with a $100 million budget.[4] Stone first approached Rick Baker to design the prosthetic makeup, but eventually opted for Stan Winston. A later, uncorroborated, rumor claimed that Ben Kingsley was in line for the role of the scientist who travels back in time, with Schwarzenegger cast as the leader of the Stone Age men in the distant past - a role perhaps more suited to the muscular action figure.[5]

Although Peter Chernin called Hayes' time-travel action screenplay "one of the best scripts I ever read", Fox became frustrated by the distance between their approach and Hayes' interpretation.[3][6] As Swell Dude put it, "Terry wrote a 'Terminator' and Fox wanted 'The Flintstones'". Dissatisfied with Fox's decision to fire Hayes, Phillip Noyce left Return of the Apes in February 1995.[1] Oliver Stone switched his attention to other film projects, but remained on board officially. In practice he never returned to the production. Swell Dude and Jane Hamsher were bought off the project by Fox.[3]
Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:37 am

From EW Dec 23, 1994:
Monkey Business - Another remake of "Planet of the Apes" -- This time, Arnold Schwarzenegger gets in on the action
Jeffrey Wells wrote:In the wake of Junior's disappointing gross ($24 million in its first three weeks), Arnold Schwarzenegger's getting back into action. Production sources say he's in discussion with Twentieth Century Fox to star in the revamped Planet of the Apes, the $60-70 million sci-fi epic being executive-produced by Oliver Stone. The Schwarzenegger deal supposedly hangs on the availability of Phillip Noyce (Clear and Present Danger), whom the star wants as director. But Noyce's services are committed until Jan. 15 to Paramount, for which he may direct the big-screen version of The Saint. Another inside production source, however, says the casting ''looks good,'' and adds that, ''Arnold is interested no matter who directs.'' Schwarzenegger's agent did not return calls.

In this Apes — neither a remake of Fox's 1968 Charlton Heston cult treat, nor a faithful adaptation of the original 1963 Pierre Boulle novel — Ah-nuld would play a geneticist who travels back in time to an ape-dominated society to save the human race from extinction. A draft of a script by Terry Hayes (The Road Warrior) includes a few nods to the original (an appearance by a female ape scientist named Dr. Zora, reminiscent of Kim Hunter's character, Dr. Zira, in the first film) but is much heavier on action, depicting several bloody battles between predatory apes and primitive human tribes. An expected standout of the movie will be the animatronic costumes, crafted by Jurassic Park's Stan Winston, which promise to be more lifelike than the original movie's.

Fox hopes the movie will create a hefty new Apes franchise, complete with sequels, merchandising, and eventual TV spin-offs. The '68 movie yielded four feature sequels, a short-lived TV series, an animated series, and memorabilia that now has some kitsch value on the collectibles market.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Okay, so I'm going to go the movies on cheap night next Tuesday and the only two movies that look good that are playing both happen to be highbrow action flicks starring Saoirse Ronan. Coincidence mania!

Without spoiling either, which do you guys think I should see?

HANNA or THE WAY BACK?

HANNA is really good.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Al Shut on Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:56 am

Catching a glimpse of Austin Powers while flipping through channels, I couldn't help but notice that in 1997 one hundered billion $ was considered a ridiculous (literally) amount of money. Nowadays I don't even blink when hearing it in the news.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby minstrel on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Al Shut wrote:Catching a glimpse of Austin Powers while flipping through channels, I couldn't help but notice that in 1997 one hundered billion $ was considered a ridiculous (literally) amount of money. Nowadays I don't even blink when hearing it in the news.

$100 billion IS a ridiculous amount of money. But we now live in ridiculous times.
minstrel

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:55 pm

Movie Review: In A Better Life, Worthiness Is a Vice
It’s tough work making films about decent men just trying to do the right thing, especially if there seems little danger of him doing the wrong thing. Where’s the drama in that? In A Better Life, Chris Weitz introduces Carlos, a Mexican father and illegal immigrant who tends the gardens of wealthy Los Angelenos in order to provide for his teenage son. Weitz’s challenge is to make Carlos more a man than an everyman. Weitz doesn’t entirely succeed, perhaps because the problem with problem movies is that, too often, a film’s unalloyed worthiness is its vice.

Carlos is played with formidable dignity by the excellent Demián Bichir, a recurring player on Weeds, who was a tough Fidel Castro in Steven Soderbergh’s Che. Stubbled, with dirt under his fingernails, Carlos is a single father, a gardener, and a self-sacrificing, everyday saint whose only faults are his generosity to strangers and his teenaged, babyfaced son, Luis. As Luis, young actor José Julián is less persuasive as a good kid who couldn’t possibly understand his father’s sacrifice. The film gets at the distance between the father and his Americanized son, but Julian never quite seems present. At first, his disconnectedness feels intentional: Luis, naïve and sheltered by his father, gets over just by being cute, but it becomes clear this is a fault of both character and actor.

Carlos attempts to upgrade their life by borrowing money to buy his own groundskeeping truck — but as soon as he does, it’s stolen. Luis is tempted by the gangbangers in his neighborhood, then he and his father search for his truck in a kind of watered-down riff on The Bicycle Thief. The film establishes that there’s no time in Carlos’s life for anything but work, least of which are the frivolous hobbies that amuse his son. So we get to know Carlos primarily through his work — and there we find out what we knew already — that he’s self-sacrificing, hardworking, decent, and generous to a fault. A few more particular details — or a single surprising action — might have made him more believable. Despite Bichir’s confident presence, Carlos is never more than the idea of a man we should admire. It’s sentimental that way.

Weitz tries to tell the truth, and doesn’t tell it slant. His story is simple as a parable, and the deliberate pacing and rising score by Alexandre Desplat give the film the feel of modern myth. Coming off his supernatural films New Moon and The Golden Compass, Weitz hasn’t shaken the primal sense of black-and-white morality, either. Carlos is a good man, surrounded by foils: tatted-up gangsters and thieving, weaker men. His rectitude is never in doubt. Which means not much else is, either.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:38 pm

I noticed that Bucky had Attack the Block in his 2011 movie journal for May. It's getting a limited theatrical release starting July 29 and will be in Seattle. I'm a little intrigued given the reviews on IMDB. Have any of you (including Bucky) caught this?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Here's the thread.

It's good times. Imagine the Goonies vs The Gremlins

... except R-rated

... and the kids are punks from south London

... and there's a lot of dying

... and Nick Frost selling/smoking the ganja.

Okay so maybe it isn't much like either of those really, but I liked it. Pretty sure Fried Gold and Locke have also seen it as well.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:53 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:Here's the thread.

It's good times. Imagine the Goonies vs The Gremlins

... except R-rated

... and the kids are punks from south London

... and there's a lot of dying

... and Nick Frost selling/smoking the ganja.

Okay so maybe it isn't much like either of those really, but I liked it. Pretty sure Fried Gold and Locke have also seen it as well.

Sweet, and thanks for the link. Damnedable search feature brought up your post in the movie journal thread but didn't bring up the ACTUAL thread at all. I'll check out the existing thread, but based on the description above it sounds like I should make time for the movie when it's here.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:39 pm

Planet of the Apes Infographic
Everything you need to know about Caesar and the gang in one easy click.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:44 pm

The greatest bond ever, Sean Connery, has just whalloped a tarantula to death with a slipper (spider was off camera) in what is thought to be one of the greatest bonds ever, Dr No.
Thank god the internet wasnt around to disect movies then.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:37 pm

Hermanator X wrote:The greatest bond ever, Sean Connery, has just whalloped a tarantula to death with a slipper (spider was off camera) in what is thought to be one of the greatest bonds ever, Dr No.
Thank god the internet wasnt around to disect movies then.

It's not like it was just walking into frame for no reason though, the tarantula was planted by one of the bad guys.
Bond was like "Schpidersh? I'm not afraid of shpidersh!"
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Can anyone tell me what bit of Star Wars music hey use at 1.50 onwards? I always find it very exhilerating bit of SW composition but as much as I know the soundtracks inside and out, I'll be damned if I know where ever I heard this music from before...

Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:22 pm

I just saw the trailer for Columbiana, and I thought, "Mmm, looks like they could have taken that script and turned it into a Mathilde film for Natalie Portman" and then I saw it was a Luc Besson film and I wondered why, in fact, he didn't do it.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:16 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:I just saw the trailer for Columbiana, and I thought, "Mmm, looks like they could have taken that script and turned it into a Mathilde film for Natalie Portman" and then I saw it was a Luc Besson film and I wondered why, in fact, he didn't do it.

'Twas also my reaction to said trailer.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:20 pm

Here's a question I have about Apollo 18, which is opening this weekend. I haven't seen it, but it is about, from what I've heard, a SECRET Apollo mission to the moon. The only rocket in existence that could launch an Apollo mission is the Saturn 5.

The question is: How the FUCK do you launch a Saturn 5 rocket in secret?

First, this rocket requires the support available at the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral to launch. You can't sneak a Saturn 5 out into a desert somewhere and launch it. Not possible. So up it goes from Cape Canaveral.

The Saturn 5 is just about the loudest machine ever built by man other than a nuclear bomb. The damn thing could be detected by seismographs hundreds of miles away. They kept everybody miles away from the launch pad when launching just to protect them.

You can't SNEAK an Apollo mission into space. The noise would wake up everybody for miles around - they'd have to evacuate the entire Space Coast to ensure that nobody heard it, and then you'd have to explain why you're evacuating them.

I don't buy it. Not for one second. This whole idea is utterly stupid.
minstrel

Postby Peven on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:49 pm

minstrel wrote:Here's a question I have about Apollo 18, which is opening this weekend. I haven't seen it, but it is about, from what I've heard, a SECRET Apollo mission to the moon. The only rocket in existence that could launch an Apollo mission is the Saturn 5.

First, this rocket requires the support available at the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral to launch. You can't sneak a Saturn 5 out into a desert somewhere and launch it. Not possible. So up it goes from Cape Canaveral.

The Saturn 5 is just about the loudest machine ever built by man other than a nuclear bomb. The damn thing could be detected by seismographs hundreds of miles away. They kept everybody miles away from the launch pad when launching just to protect them.

You can't SNEAK an Apollo mission into space. The noise would wake up everybody for miles around - they'd have to evacuate the entire Space Coast to ensure that nobody heard it, and then you'd have to explain why you're evacuating them.

ok, Minstrel, this is a case of jumping to conclusions without knowing the full scoop.....and while the movie is apparently a steaming pile overall your offense at the premise of a "secret" mission is misplaced. the moon landing mission in the movie is not totally secret, just part of it, the public knows there is a moon landing, it is on TV, except that during the transmission blackout the astronauts are supposed to be checking something out the government doesn't want the public to know about. THAT is the secret mission part

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:20 pm

I thought that was the kick-off of Transformers 3.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Bloo on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:37 pm

I had the same issue minstrel (or at least with the way it's marketed)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby minstrel on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:40 pm

Peven wrote:
minstrel wrote:Here's a question I have about Apollo 18, which is opening this weekend. I haven't seen it, but it is about, from what I've heard, a SECRET Apollo mission to the moon. The only rocket in existence that could launch an Apollo mission is the Saturn 5.

ok, Minstrel, this is a case of jumping to conclusions without knowing the full scoop.....and while the movie is apparently a steaming pile overall your offense at the premise of a "secret" mission is misplaced. the moon landing mission in the movie is not totally secret, just part of it, the public knows there is a moon landing, it is on TV, except that during the transmission blackout the astronauts are supposed to be checking something out the government doesn't want the public to know about. THAT is the secret mission part

Ah. I thought they were trying to sell this as something that ACTUALLY HAPPENED. The way some people try to push Roswell alien crashes and so on.

Thanks, Peven, I stand corrected. I had heard a little bit about this movie, but apparently not enough.
minstrel

Postby Peven on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:47 pm

no biggie, and from what I have read you would probably be even more ticked off by other plot holes and gaps in logic than the secret mission part :lol:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:51 am

c'mon, we all know the moon landings were faked anyway.

actually the part of the ads that annoys me is how they end with that cliche'd shot of somebody getting pulled away from the camera by some unseen monster or entity. it reminds me of those ads for quarantine, which had the added offense of being a remake, with that chick from dexter getting pulled into the dark by an unseen being.... which was all the worse because it was the very last scene of the movie

even worse than THAT, though, are the ads i've been seeing lately for Bucky Larsen: Born to Be A Star which barely even show any shots from the movie, instead it's some stupid dude talking about the movie, and not even being funny while doing it. you KNOW a movie is bad when the ads don't even show clips from the movie.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ye Black Knight on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:47 pm

TheBaxter wrote:the ads i've been seeing lately for Bucky Larsen: Born to Be A Star which barely even show any shots from the movie, instead it's some stupid dude talking about the movie, and not even being funny while doing it. you KNOW a movie is bad when the ads don't even show clips from the movie.

Aye, goodly TheBaxter, this knight hath tempered his most lofty expectations for ye cinemasaga Bucky Larsen: Born to Be A Star.
However this knight shall still take'th-in this tale of a pornographic thespian with a much dainty loinsword! Verily, for whence Sir Nick Swardson doth appear'eth'd in cinema and televisio-box previously: much mirth and merriment doth ensue'eth!

This post now concludeth!
VIEW THIS KNIGHT'S WEB'TALES OF METAL, PRESENT'ETH'D IN YE ART OF PURE CINEMA:
http://www.heavymetalsuperstar.com
Ye Black Knight
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re: DRIVE

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:37 pm

From Twitter:
Albert Brooks wrote:Just came back from a morning showing of DRIVE. To make it like 3D I stabbed 6 people in the theater.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:45 pm

From RodSerling.com:
"30 Years Later: Rod Serling's Planet of the Apes"
Gordon C. Webb wrote:In late 1963, Rod Serling was hired by King Brothers Productions to write a screenplay based on Pierre Boulle's novel Planet of the Apes. For more than two years, Serling, who had earned a solid reputation as a television writer, struggled with the task of adapting this complex story for the big screen. By the time he submitted a final draft in early 1965, APJAC Productions had acquired the screen rights to Boulle's story. For the next two years, producer Arthur P. Jacobs worked to raise enough funding for what had developed into a very expensive project. Before filming began, another experienced writer, Michael Wilson, was brought in to work on the script. Wilson, whose career suffered through the blacklisting of the McCarthy era, had written many excellent film scripts (including It's A Wonderful Life and A Place in the Sun)—some uncredited until recently (such as Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia). Finally, in early 1968, Planet of the Apes was released, with both Wilson and Serling sharing screen credit.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Al Shut on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:29 am

Don Cheadle in After the Sunset wrote:Recently I found myself experimenting with alternative lifestyle parameters based largely on the free love philosophy as found in the collected works of The Mamas and The Papas.

I really wonder if they would write that line again like that.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:36 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:43 pm

so sorry wrote:IF movie posters told the truth...

Awesome stuff

Agreed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby minstrel on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:57 pm

The Vicar wrote:
so sorry wrote:IF movie posters told the truth...

Awesome stuff

Agreed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thirded.
minstrel

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:29 am

So the mothersite posted a thread about yet another torture porn movie that's making waves in merry 'ol England (censorship issues and what not).

The Bunny Game (warning...very NSFW trailer)

So is this all that the "horror" genre has to offer these days? Seems like its either a torture-porn derivative (Human Centepede 1/2 and A Serbian Film are 2 examples that spring to mind unfortunately) or its a zombie-themed derivative.

Horror flicks aren't my thing, so I don't follow the genre past what I see here in the Zone or on AICN, so maybe I'm wrong. But it just seems like this kind of shit is getting alot of press recently, and I don't have a clue who wants to fucking watch this garbage.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:58 am

so sorry wrote:So the mothersite posted a thread about yet another torture porn movie that's making waves in merry 'ol England (censorship issues and what not).

So is this all that the "horror" genre has to offer these days? Seems like its either a torture-porn derivative (Human Centepede 1/2 and A Serbian Film are 2 examples that spring to mind unfortunately) or its a zombie-themed derivative.

Horror flicks aren't my thing, so I don't follow the genre past what I see here in the Zone or on AICN, so maybe I'm wrong. But it just seems like this kind of shit is getting alot of press recently, and I don't have a clue who wants to fucking watch this garbage.

well, there's also the handheld cam cinema verite movies like Paranormal Activity 1/2/3 or Trollhunter (haven't watched it yet, don't know how "horror" it is), and the usual teen slasher flicks like the Final Destination films, and the occasional vampire remake like Let Me In or Fright Night. so there's still plenty of other things.

and really, if you didn't read AICN, how likely is it you'd ever hear of most of these torture porn films? human centipede probably, because it's premise was sick enough to bleed into the mainstream culture, but stuff like a serbian film you probably wouldn't hear of if not for AICN, which probably skews your perception of how prevalent this genre really is. AICN's writers and founder tend to give a lot of coverage to those kind of films; make of that what you will.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:40 pm

From what I can tell every subgenre of horror is still alive and well, except maybe the American remakes of J-horror films, that craze seems to have be replaced by a resurge in BLAIR WITCH style found footage flicks. There are still plenty of ghost, slasher, zombie, vampire, demon, monster movies being made and most are pretty tame and aimed at young mainstream audiences.

I think these shock value guys like HUMAN CENTIPEDE are a small minority who tour the festival circuit and engage in aggressive self-promotion and so you'll hear about them a bunch on websites devoted to such things but not so much elsewhere.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby papalazeru on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:45 pm

so sorry wrote:So the mothersite posted a thread about yet another torture porn movie that's making waves in merry 'ol England (censorship issues and what not).

Looks to me like the Director found a girl who wanted to get her kit off all the time under the guise of 'Art'. It looks fucking atrocious. Of course, with any silly horror, you need Thrash metal going underneath the trailer, you know...to make it seem more authentic because like...people who are going to watch this movie are going to be metal fans obviously.

It looks to me like some kid has read a pamphlet or two on the marquis de sade, watched Hostel and thought he could have a go.

Just childish.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Al Shut on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Caught bits of Watchmen yesterday on TV.

The random thought being my theory that Zack Snyder probably is deeply traumatized and a poor, tormented soul.

At some point after remaking Dawn of the Dead he must have been caught in a nerd discussion about the appropriate speed of zombies (possibly stuck in an elevator or while using public transport or something like that) and ever since he can't decide whether to film his action slow or fast.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:08 pm

At this point I think he's doing it just to fuck with us
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Perhaps he has an optical disturbance. Must make sex interesting, if he does.

The film is rubbish, rubbish. I'd tell you why, but I did that in the Watchmen thread.
DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:02 pm

DennisMM wrote:Perhaps he has an optical disturbance. Must make sex interesting, if he does.

The film is rubbish, rubbish. I'd tell you why, but I did that in the Watchmen thread.

It wasn't as horrible as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. That was epic projectile vomiting nasty.
The Vicar

Postby minstrel on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:12 pm

The Vicar wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Perhaps he has an optical disturbance. Must make sex interesting, if he does.

It wasn't as horrible as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. That was epic projectile vomiting nasty.

Yes, LXG was projectile vomiting nasty. I watched it pretty much the way Alex watched the ultraviolence films in Clockwork Orange, with his eyelids propped open and a look of horror on his face.

But I'd heard such great things about the graphic novel of Watchmen, so I was expecting a good movie. I got pig slop. No coherence, no pacing. I kept thinking, "Is there a story in here somewhere?" It didn't look like there was. I'll watch it again, maybe, but I don't expect more.
minstrel

Postby The Vicar on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:51 pm

When I think of those two films, LOXG in particular, I know that Alan Moore must feel like choking the shit out of kittens.
Watchmen didn't whiff as miserably as League did; but both stories got monkeyed with. With League it was to the point
of not being the story it was based on. Although leaving out a few things and making a major change in the ending of the story,
the characters in Watchmen did at least look and act alot like their namesakes in the GN. The story just didn't translate well to the screen.
The Vicar

Postby ironic name on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:50 am

what if the grey is a prequel to batman begins, showing henri ducard's life story?
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:01 am

Al Shut wrote:Caught bits of Watchmen yesterday on TV.

The random thought being my theory that Zack Snyder probably is deeply traumatized and a poor, tormented soul.

At some point after remaking Dawn of the Dead he must have been caught in a nerd discussion about the appropriate speed of zombies (possibly stuck in an elevator or while using public transport or something like that) and ever since he can't decide whether to film his action slow or fast.

i watched 300 recently, and last night i watched Face/Off. i think there was actually more slo-mo in Face/Off.
maybe Zack Snyder is just a really big John Woo fan.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DennisMM on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:45 pm

minstrel wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

Yes, LXG was projectile vomiting nasty. I watched it pretty much the way Alex watched the ultraviolence films in Clockwork Orange, with his eyelids propped open and a look of horror on his face.

But I'd heard such great things about the graphic novel of Watchmen, so I was expecting a good movie. I got pig slop. No coherence, no pacing. I kept thinking, "Is there a story in here somewhere?" It didn't look like there was. I'll watch it again, maybe, but I don't expect more.

League was a fun comic that got turned into bad action porn. Watchmen was a brilliant comic that got turned into something only those familiar with the comic really could grasp. I'm told the "ultimate cut" of Watchmen is the best way to experience it, but I have yet to bring myself to watch that three-and-a-half hour version.

minstrel, if you haven't read Watchmen, do so. Don't skip the text pages, as they are essential. Watchmen is somewhat overrated -- it's not even Moore's best work, despite being my favorite -- but unlike the movie, it is all about coherence. It is a package, a true graphic novel that just happened to be serialized.
DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:35 pm

What he said.

Is that ultimate cut out there? I've been a bit out-of-the-loopish lately.
The Vicar

Postby DennisMM on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:21 pm

Yeah, it's part of the five-disc ultimate package they released in 2010. Mom gave it to me for Christmas. See your messages, okay?
DennisMM

Postby ironic name on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:37 am

hitler?
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby The Vicar on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:49 am

DennisMM wrote:Yeah, it's part of the five-disc ultimate package they released in 2010. Mom gave it to me for Christmas. See your messages, okay?

Done.
The Vicar

Re: James Cameron’s X-Men

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:00 am

Hermanator X wrote:I see that Kevin Smiths Green Lantern movie script is coming out in comic book form. Apart from this and Aronofskys fountain book, I cant think of many other examples of such a thing occuring.

But it could be a goldmine for the studios. If Camerons spider man script, or the William Gibson alien 3 script for example, were converted, im sure a fair bit of demand would ensue. Sure, I know that realistically shit tons of red tape and other stuff would most likely prevent this, but these "elseworld" style books if taken as non canon, what could have been variants, could be pretty interesting.

So, just for shits n giggles, what unproduced movie scripts would you dig in a readable comic form (knowing that the vision will NEVER be made for the big screen).

From Bleeding Cool:
Monday Runaround – James Cameron’s X-Men
Rich Johnston wrote:
XWatch: Chris Claremont has been talking X-Men with Louise Simonson at the Columbia University, hosting Comic New York: A Symposium.

He said that as Cameron launched his own studio, Lightstorm Entertainment, in 1990, he and Marvel Comics mastermind Stan Lee went to his office to pitch him an X-Men movie.

“Just think about this for a minute: James Cameron’s X-Men. Directed by Kathryn Bigelow. That’s what we were playing,” Claremont said. “So we’re chatting. And at one point Stan looks at Cameron and says, ‘I hear you like Spider-Man.’ Cameron’s eyes lit up.

“And they start talking. And talking. And talking. About 20 minutes later all the Lightstorm guys and I are looking at each other, and we all know the X-Men deal has just evaporated. Kathryn goes off and writes a screen treatment for X-Men that was eaten alive by all the idiots who have a piece of Spider-Man because Marvel during its evolution has sold off the rights time and time and time again.

From The Chicago Tribune:
Chris Claremont reflects on his dream 'X-Men' movie
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion