The Zone's 2007 Movie Journal

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:26 pm

My pics for September are;

Renoir's "The Elusive Corporal" starring Vincent Cassels DAD!

"The Burmese Harp" - turned out to be kinda relevant watching too as the month grew on...

"Waking Life" - Awesome , jizztastic.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:53 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:September was a very decent month for watching movies.

me too.

DEAD RINGERS, FUNNY GAMES, my first and certainly not last viewing of Sergio Carbucci's THE GREAT SILENCE...36th CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN (phenomenal transfers on those Dragon Dynasty DVD's), the full on musical extravaganza of Wisit Sasanatieng's follow up to TEARS OF THE BLACK TIGER, CITIZEN DOG, Cronenberg's EASTERN PROMISES, and the much missed SAMURAI JACK (vol. 4).

but my fave, and a film I watch at least once a year, Mike Leigh's TOPSY-TURVY.

good month indeed.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:03 pm

Updated mine with Ratatouille and Stardust.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:06 pm

Stardust was that good, eh? Care to write more in the review thread? (I agree with Ratatouille though, haven't seen Stardust yet)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:15 pm

I do think Stardust was that good. I even agreed with Pan's Labyrinth-hater Lugz for a change!
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:22 am

Ok, October was a badass month for catching up with 2007 releases over here... I watched Ratatouille and Superbad twice each, and nine other 2007 releases:
Death at a Funeral (bleh)
Odette Toulemonde ( parlez-vous Francais? )
Zwartboek (ok, but I expected more)
Lust, Caution (making my top 10 at the end of the year, fo' sho')
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (good, not great though)
Tekkon Kinkreet (kinda crappy, nice drawings though)
The Simpsons Movie ( ok, but nothing special... at this point who could've expected more? )
Disturbia (lame)
Mr. Brooks (decent)

Best 2007 releases were Lust, Caution followed by Ratatouille.

Discovered The Insider 9/10, which kicked total ass.
Revisited Punch-Drunk Love 9/10, which was better than I'd remembered.
This Is Spinal Tap 11/10 - How much better could this film have been? The answer is none... none more better.
The People vs. Larry Flynt 7/10 - This was good
Meeting People Is Easy 8/10 - This was totally suitable to the subject matter... Thom Yorke was a little too whiny sometimes, but the film makes its point. Best moment: the No Surprises music video scene (both the Sky "commentary" as well as the brief "behind-the-scenes.")
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Al Shut on Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:41 am

Best in October was Big Fish and worst Starship Troopers 2, both on TV.

Fuck I barely see any 'new' movies since my movie buddy decided to leave town (damn traitor)
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:36 am

Oh I was gonna do this yesterday and completely forgot!

My movies of the month were The Notebook for its endless cheesy quality that I fall for every time. And Planet Terror which completely PWN's Death Proof in every way. Just a much more entertaining and funny film. *hides from tarantinofanboys* I loved it. Awesome and messy and insane. It had Sayid, AND Bruce Willis! And BBQ sauce, and 'splosions, and blood, and cars, and 'splosions, and skin, and I don't care what anyone thinks, it was coolness.

Worst movie was Turistas. Gross movie. Not even fun to watch.

Fantastic Four was also really crappy. But it was really good looking crap.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:43 am

Heheeh, I liked both Death Proof *and* Planet Terror, but would definitely say that Grindhouse is greater than the sum of its parts... individually I don't think I would've paid much attention to either film, but certainly Grindhouse will make my top 10 at the end of the year.
Last edited by Pacino86845 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:50 am

It had the opposite effect for me. I didn't get to see Grindhouse so I was able to view each movie in its entirety seperately. "Takes away from the experience" comes to mind but from what i've heard, only Death Proof got enough actual material added to make it a different movie from what was shown in theatres. I assume it's better because of it. I think I can live with these movies individually and as for the whole best of the year thing...I don't know if I would put PT on my personal list because I haven't thought that far ahead. But I certainly won't put both or use Grindhouse to select both of them.

I missed out on half the trailers but I did get Machete and I downloaded Thanksgiving. So if I ever need to see the others, I can certainly find them.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:11 am

Best movie I saw this month:

A Brighter Summer Day - masterpiece thru and thru.

Worst:
Nightmare City 2035
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:15 am

Oh yeah, I forgot about the worst: this month they were Disturbia and Death at a Funeral.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:53 pm

Updated to include Atonement.

What a spectacular film. Joe Wright has hit his sophomore effort out of the park. At times this film literally took my breath away and it most certainly yanked on my heart's strings. Wright's films just hit every single note that I enjoy. Love, love, loved that movie.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:17 pm

I can't wait to see Atonement, especially now you've recommended it, Lecko. It was out in the UK while I was there, but I held out to see it with family this December.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:21 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:I can't wait to see Atonement, especially now you've recommended it, Lecko. It was out in the UK while I was there, but I held out to see it with family this December.

If you liked Pride & Prejudice at ALL you will love this. And if you didn't like P&P you have no soul. So, there.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:37 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:I can't wait to see Atonement, especially now you've recommended it, Lecko. It was out in the UK while I was there, but I held out to see it with family this December.

If you liked Pride & Prejudice at ALL you will love this. And if you didn't like P&P you have no soul. So, there.

I'm a chick, of course I loved Pride and Prejudice! ;)
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Chilli on Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:54 am

I loved P & P, but thought Atonement was pretty awful. The visuals were great, but the story just seemed off to me.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:32 am

Chilli wrote:I loved P & P, but thought Atonement was pretty awful. The visuals were great, but the story just seemed off to me.

Well I disagree. I thought the film was extremely tight given the nature of the story being told. It spans a great deal of time and also has varying perspectives.

Joe Wright has shot so far up on my list of filmmakers I love. P&P and Atonement are such complementary films and yet they are different in so many ways. The tension he builds in Atonement is unbearable and certain points. I simply can't wait to see what he does next because so far he is 2 for 2 at knocking me out.

But like I said, his films seems to hit EVERY right note with me.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:30 am

Awesome. I was just pointing out that you can like one and not the other. And while I don't care for Atonement on an emotional level, visually it was pretty fantastic.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:48 am

Chilli wrote:Awesome. I was just pointing out that you can like one and not the other. And while I don't care for Atonement on an emotional level, visually it was pretty fantastic.

NO!!!!!! Chilli, generalizations are all the rage!!!!

Seriously though, I do think its a pretty safe bet to say that if you dug P&P that it is worth it to give this film a shot. It works quite well as a sort of companion piece. Not to say you HAVE to like Atonement if you liked P&P, but I would be willing to bet that there is quite a bit of overlap.

And as you said, it is awfully pretty to look at.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:16 pm

Updated again to include the absolutely stunning The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

My oh my has it been an exhausting two days. The cinema has been a fine place to go as of late.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:59 pm

I just noticed that I never threw out my best and worst for October.

Best: 3:10 to Yuma. I really enjoyed this. While it wasn't as great as I had hoped for, it was still solid.

Worst: Borat. One-note joke that got old pretty fast. I will admit there were some laugh out loud moments, but I just got bored with this.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby justcheckin on Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:00 am

Um... some of you have quite a bit to post in this board.

*cough cough*
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:24 am

I honestly don't know if all the drugs have permanently warped my critical faculties or if I've mellowed in my dotage w/r/t/ hating everything that comes down the Hollywood poop-shoot, or if this is an atypical awesome year for cinema, but cotdamn, what a month of pure viewing pleasure November has been!

by my chart...

AWESOME - Gone Baby Gone / I'm Not There / No Country for Old Men

VERY GOOD - Before the Devil Knows You're Dead / Margo at the Wedding / The Orphanage / Southland Tales / There Will Be Blood

with Blade Runner: The Final Cut tomorrow to boot?

cotdamn, what a month...
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:28 am

Trust me Keepcool, this has been a very very good year for Hollywood cinema... lots of unexpected surprises despite the many (IMO) disappointments.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Seppuku on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:28 am

I'm Not There... No, you're not, are you?

It sounded from your review like it would at least rate Very Good.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:29 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I'm Not There? No, you're not, are you?

It sounded from your review like it would at least rate Very Good.

heh, oops.

score one tally for the drug argument...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:06 am

So anyone else seen Daft Punk's ELECTROMA yet?

Easily the best robot movie to come out this year. The story is nominal, there's no dialogue whatsoever and pretension is rife, but Thomas Bangalter can really frame a shot and the whole film is shot through with a very unnerving ambience - this really is some great maverick film making and a welcome tonic to Hollywood dirge.

My top films for November were Tell No One, The Lives of Others and Zodiac.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:18 am

Didn't Tell No One get a run around the beginning of this year? I'm not complaining though, it's a great movie (if a little over the top in places, though I guess that could be construed as a good thing). I especially like the early scenes near the lake- like Ingmar Bergman shooting a slasher flick (oh wait, he did shoot a slasher flick).

Also, I didn't realise Kristin Scott-Thomas could speak French so well. I even sat through the credits (and I'm the kind of nonchalant swine who never does that) to see if she had some long-lost French twin.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:36 am

I watched fewer films in November than any other month this year. Still, my picks are:

Worst: THE MARINE.
John Cena. Not the worst actor in this film. Nuff said.

Best: BEOWULF in IMAX 3D!!!!

Beyond awesome. I was completely blown away by this film experience.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby doglips on Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:50 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Didn't Tell No One get a run around the beginning of this year? I'm not complaining though, it's a great movie (if a little over the top in places, though I guess that could be construed as a good thing). I especially like the early scenes near the lake- like Ingmar Bergman shooting a slasher flick (oh wait, he did shoot a slasher flick).

Also, I didn't realise Kristin Scott-Thomas could speak French so well. I even sat through the credits (and I'm the kind of nonchalant swine who never does that) to see if she had some long-lost French twin.

Thomas was excellent, I actually thought she has some french heritage, I may be wrong. Such good plotting and exposistion, loved it when Hugo becomes the unlikely saviour. Like you say, great movie - I can't wait till this is remade with Tom Cruise next year.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:57 am

doglips wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:Didn't Tell No One get a run around the beginning of this year? I'm not complaining though, it's a great movie (if a little over the top in places, though I guess that could be construed as a good thing). I especially like the early scenes near the lake- like Ingmar Bergman shooting a slasher flick (oh wait, he did shoot a slasher flick).

Thomas was excellent, I actually thought she has some french heritage, I may be wrong. Such good plotting and exposistion, loved it when Hugo becomes the unlikely saviour. Like you say, great movie - I can't wait till this is remade with Tom Cruise next year.

:shock: For serious? I would have thought he'd learnt his lesson about remaking two year old movies with Vanilla Sky.

I really want to see Tell No One again now that you've brought it up. I LOVE that psycho-dad character. Imagine how he'd react when it came time for his kid to have a Measles jab!

EDIT: By the way, I'm looking at IMDB right now because I forgot all the characters' names- you mean Bruno, not Hugo, right?

Damn racist! :wink:
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:39 am

Thought I'd manage one more movie yesterday, but alas it was not to be...

The Fall season is definitely upon us, with some awesome new film viewings this month.

At the top of the heap is Once (ok, not really a fall movie), followed by 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (which looks like a 2008 release in the States), and also Eastern Promises and American Gangster. All solid films, all Top 10 material...

With so much left to see, 2007 is already one of the best years of film this decade.

At the bottom of the heap are Next and Rob Zombie's Halloween, followed closely by The Heartbreak Kid and I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.... with the exception of Next, however, the films were NOT as woefully awful as I expected them to be, but they were still pretty crappy.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby doglips on Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:31 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
doglips wrote:

:shock: For serious? I would have thought he'd learnt his lesson about remaking two year old movies with Vanilla Sky.

I really want to see Tell No One again now that you've brought it up. I LOVE that psycho-dad character. Imagine how he'd react when it came time for his kid to have a Measles jab!

EDIT: By the way, I'm looking at IMDB right now because I forgot all the characters' names- you mean Bruno, not Hugo, right?

Damn racist! :wink:

Haha, no not serious, just pre-empting the inevitable.

Yeah Bruno, I thought I'd got it wrong.....
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:42 pm

So, best movie I saw in November was Ratatouille. Amazing movie.

Worst is a wonderful tie between 12 Monkeys and Spider-Man 3. I don't think either are dreadful but 12M didn't click with me whatesoever. SM3 was just too much for one movie.

Beerfest was pretty darn funny. Serenity was cool.

Live Free or Die Hard and Ocean's Thirteen were both solid.

The Decent was alright.

Better then usual month!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:22 pm

Watched a lot of excellent films this month:

Dom Za Vesanje (Time of the Gypsies)
Du Levande (You, The Living)
Viskningar Och Rop (Cries and Whispers)
Sanger Fran Andra Aningen (Songs from the Second Floor)
Hets (Torment)
Nobi (Fires On The Plane)
Fitzcarraldo
Se, Jie (Lust, Caution)
No Country For Old Men
Tod Fur Funf Stimmen (Gesualdo: Death For Five Voices)
Chelovek S Kino-Apparatum (The Man With A Movie Camera)
Vargtimmen (Hour Of The Wolf)
La Notte (The Night)
Otac Na Sluzbenom Putu (When Father Was Away on Business)
Skammen (Shame)
Stroszek
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:53 am

Having a bit of Kusturica kick eh? Have you seen Underground or any of his other films (Black Cat, White Cat, Life is a Miracle, etc)?

I still haven't seen Stroszek, which is supposed to be Herzog's best after Aguirre.

The title for "The Man With A Movie Camera" (still haven't seen it) seems to be cooler in its original language ("cinema apparatus" LOL).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:26 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Having a bit of Kusturica kick eh? Have you seen Underground or any of his other films (Black Cat, White Cat, Life is a Miracle, etc)?

I still haven't seen Stroszek, which is supposed to be Herzog's best after Aguirre.

The title for "The Man With A Movie Camera" (still haven't seen it) seems to be cooler in its original language ("cinema apparatus" LOL).

Yeah Underground is what started the Kusturica kick. Black Cat White Cat was the one I watched next. Life Is A Miracle is in the queu.

Try to catch the version of The Man With A Movie Camera witht the Cinematic Orchestra score. It's quite great.

Stroszek is great but there are other Herzog films I like more.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:53 am

...and so but I don't care that ELECTION was a 2005 release in Johnnie To's native Hong Kong, and that ELECTION 2 (aka TRIAD ELECTION here in the states) and EXILED were both 2006 films - in the backwater burb known as the United States, they were all finally released, however limitedly, in theaters and on DVD this year*. And that pretty much makes 2007 the year of the To.

But the only problem with putting To into any pantheon beyond the ghetto of expertly directed genre pictures is that he's never quite delivered an outright masterpiece. Brilliant sequences/action set-pieces abound in each of his (many) films I've seen, including at least one or two jaw-droppingly astounding visual metaphors per flick, but while I've thoroughly enjoyed every Johnnie To flick I've seen, he's never completely blown me away.

but EXILED damn well almost did. An ode to Leone, Peckinpah, & Woo, with some serious nods to the nonpareil master of male bonding & masculinity, Howard Hawks, a bullet strewn paeon that has not one, not two, but three of the best action scenes of the year, and great performances from Anthony Wong and Simon Yam. Within the next couple years, someone's going to co-opt To's highly original take on spraying viscera - not gory so much as melancholy, if you squint, you may imagine men's very souls are leaving their bodies.

largely forgoing the ballet-like shootouts of EXILED, the ELECTION films are more character driven focuses on the notorious Triads (Mafia) of Hong Kong. I've heard GODFATHER/GOODFELLAS comparisons, and I can see them, but that would be giving the ELECTION films a bit too much credit. Imagine those two outright mob classics a bit less stately, and a bit less epic, and combine them with the backstage probing of "The Organization" in EASTERN PROMISES and you'd be a bit closer to the reality of these very good crime dramas.

The titular ELECTION is apparently (the filmmakers claim verisimilitude, and who am I to argue? Feels real/true enough) a process that occurs every two years within the Wo Sing Society, a vote decided by the old school bosses to determine who will lead and, just as importantly, come into possession of the 100+ year old, symbolic baton of leadership. To, as usual, fucks with genre conventions and expectations, and while this has seemingly all be done before, To reminds us why these mob pictures became so ubiquitous in the first place - human drama at its finest, with high stakes, big emotions, glitz, glamor, greed, arcane and intricate rules and regulations for conduct that are given mere lip service by the leaders but are fervently and passionately believed in by the poor peons and lackeys who at times give their lives to ideals that their more social climbing brothers ignore for their own personal gain.

TRIAD ELECTION improves somewhat on its already pretty darn solid predecessor, and watching them back to back really adds to the cumulative power and message of To's sweeping vision.

Two very good and one awesome film in one year?

Year of the To!

*not so funny anecdote - TRIAD ELECTION was released on DVD before ELECTION!?! Now, sure, it's not completely necessary to see ELECTION first, as TRIAD ELECTION functions both as a sequel and quasi-remake, but anally-retarded continuity geeks with a touch of OCD like myself had to wait until the first film of the series was released to watch the second...that's just how I wallow.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:10 am

I'll probably come back to talk To after seeing Southland Tales, but considering how damn prolific the guy is, pretty much any year since he released The Mission is the Year of the To.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:26 am

I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank everyone in this thread for continuing to update this thread and keep the discussion going. If you didn't know, we won a 2007 Zonie for best thread.

HIP HIP HOORAY!
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:05 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Watched a lot of excellent films this month:

Hets (Torment)
Fitzcarraldo
Se, Jie (Lust, Caution)
No Country For Old Men
La Notte (The Night)
Skammen (Shame)
Stroszek

Woah, awesome set there! Quite a Herzog and Bergman fest too.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:26 am

magicmonkey wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote: Watched a lot of excellent films this month:

Hets (Torment)
Fitzcarraldo
Se, Jie (Lust, Caution)
No Country For Old Men
La Notte (The Night)
Skammen (Shame)
Stroszek

Yeah it was a great month, the fest is still continuing too. ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:30 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote: Watched a lot of excellent films this month:

Hets (Torment)
Fitzcarraldo
Se, Jie (Lust, Caution)
No Country For Old Men
La Notte (The Night)
Skammen (Shame)
Stroszek

Yeah it was a great month, the fest is still continuing too. ;)

Hmm, I wish I hadn't fallen so out of date with keeping my record. I really dug "Shame", which I saw for the first time this year, its up there with my favourites of his, moreso than "Cries and Whispers" even.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:43 am

Ohh I would defintiely aggree that Shame is one of his best. It is quite incredible.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:58 pm

Hey Zoners!!!

It's that time of year. Look over your 2007 Movie Journal and select your favorite and least favorite film you saw this year.

I'll post mine in a few days after I get back from travel.

This is the best part about this thread. It's great to go back and look over all the films you saw in a year and choose a favorite.

Have fun, and I'll see you in the 2008 Movie Journal (COMING SOON!).
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:04 pm

I was wondering what was up for the 2008 movie journal... and now I know.

This will be a little hard as Date Movie was the only film I rated as one star (if that), but I knew it would blow coming in. I have to say it probably won't get the worst movie from me because it's too obvious.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:54 pm

After some thought...

Vegeta's Favorite Film of 2007: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
Just an excellent film with all the little nuances that should hold up to multiple viewings. Having read the book a week before I saw the film I can say that NCFOM may be one of the most faithful book to movie adaptations I've ever seen. Except for a couple of small changes in scenes and a little left out at the end the two were almost identical. The acting, look, feel... damn near everything about NCFOM was stellar.

Vegeta's Least Favorite Film of 2007: (a tie) TRANSFORMERS and LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
After some thought these two films didn't get my worst rating (they both recieved 2 out of 5 punches), but are my least favorite due to the sheer amount of disappointment I had in both.
Transformers was just a mess from start to finish. After about 45 minutes I had to will my way through the rest of the film. The plot was crap and confusing, the comic relief was painful, and the FX while cool in portions were muddled in others. With the exception of Optimus and Bumblebee it was difficult to tell the robots apart, especially in the fights. The concept of a Tranformers film sounds great, but this film was not what I had in mind at all. I personally think Transformers: The Movie (1986) was vastly superior.
Little Miss Sunshine was advertised and word of mouthed to me as this little gem of a film. And I think that may be true for those who haven't watched many indie films over the last 15 years or so. To me, it was cliche. I literally felt like the writers just plucked bits and pieces from other "quirky" films and pasted it together into LMS. Nothing about it felt original or compelling. After it was over I contemplated what the buzz was about and why on Earth accolades and awards were hurled it's direction. I am still puzzled today...
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:48 am

say buh bye.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby buster00 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:07 am

Bestest Movie of 2007: The Bourne Ultimatum

Worstest Movie of 2007: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext