The Zone's 2007 Movie Journal

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:45 pm

brent_watches_movies wrote:Worst Movie I Saw In January: Dead and Rotting - Probably the worst movie I've seen in my life.

What a were a you expecting, eh? The goddamn "Lion inna the Winter?"
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Al Shut on Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:01 pm

Best: The "Kontroll" dvd I got for birthday, but can't find the words to tell why.

Worst: "Deja Vu". That one was saved from beeing complete crap just through unintentional hillariousness. I hated the illogical time travel (although I'm sure it didn't bother me that much in other time travel movies)
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:12 pm

Best movie I watched in January was Babel, with Scanner Darkly and Quest for Fire as honorable mentions.

Karas was easily the worst film I watched: an anime that was the equivalent of bad tripping. Nothing made sense, nothing made sense, and I think I had like 5 epileptic seizures while watching it.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby brent_watches_movies on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:34 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
brent_watches _movies wrote:Worst Movie I Saw In January: Dead and Rotting - Probably the worst movie I've seen in my life.

What a were a you expecting, eh? The goddamn "Lion inna the Winter?"

I never expect a "great film" from a horror flick...especially an indy one. That doesn't change the fact that this was an UNGODLY bad movie. Bad in every way possible.
brent_watches_movies
GLIB

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:38 pm

This term "Best" upsets me.

Anyway, if I discuss one film, I'd choose "Castle of Cogliastro", its a wet dream of an innocent adventure movie with all the aspect of exploring an old castle including detectives and ninja's. The reason why I gave it 6 was because it has aged incredibly as well.

Worst was Ferrara's "New Rose Hotel". It started very well, great moody opening 15-20 mins. Maybe with a budget it could have been better... It really is bad though, and the ending just made me want to seek out Ferrara and just well admonish him for wasting my time. Trouble is, he'd try and beat me with his crack pipe.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:58 pm

i too dislike the "best" moniker, but I'll play along...

Spirit of the Beehive. How a slowly going blind DP could shoot such a beautiful picture is nearly as awe inspiring as the picture itself.

Worst, well, it's about a 4 way tie, but since Idiocracy had the most potential and was something I wanted to succeed, it's failure nudges it just behind the other dreck I sat thru in January...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:01 pm

I would use "weapon" instead of "best" but it may be slightly too colloquial.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:07 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Worst: Dreamgirls. Oy gevalt, I hated this thing. It might just be because I really can't stomach warbling r&b that sounds worse than the filler on a Destiny's Child album. It might be because I'm a big fan of Motown/Stax a al, so I'd hope they at least try to make something that sounds like a half-decent Marvelettes b-side. No Motowner took up a whole side shouting "What about me?" at the top of their lungs!

I. heart. Sepp.

If I'd of known that it wasn't a movie-musical based on Motown but rather a movie-musical based on a theatrical-musical that didn't even try to play up the Motown angle but instead played up how a couple of soul-less crackers view Motown through the tried and true conventions of theatrical-musicals...

well, I still would've hated it, but at least I would've cut it a bit more slack.

Al_Shut wrote:Best: The "Kontroll" dvd I got for birthday, but can't find the words to tell why.

the Kontroll directed by Nimrod Antal? Set in a Hungary train depot?

Good flick, caught it in early 2005...the gf liked it so much she ended up buying it, but it's sat forlornly on our shelf since.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:47 am

Hey, we gotta discuss something in here on a regular basis, no? My movie quotient has taken a serious nose dive as of late, mainly due to watching The Wire. Very solid television program, addictive as hell.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Al Shut on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:04 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Al_Shut wrote:Best: The "Kontroll" dvd I got for birthday, but can't find the words to tell why.

the Kontroll directed by Nimrod Antal? Set in a Hungary train depot?

Good flick, caught it in early 2005...the gf liked it so much she ended up buying it, but it's sat forlornly on our shelf since.

Yep that's the one. I absolutely loved it, especially the sequences where they try to controll passengers or vist the psychiatrist.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:05 pm

Since I probably won't see any other films for the next two days, here is my best and worst of February.

BEST:
kiss kiss, bang bang

I love this movie to death. I think the three leads have great chemistry. I love the writing, and it doesn't take itself too seriously.

WORST:
Aquamarine

Imagine a teenage-fueled, acid trip root canal in a port-o-potty. That's the closest I can get to describing how I feel.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Brocktune on Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:51 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Midnight Cowboy - 5/10

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
WHAT?!?!?!?!

ok, this:

MasterWhedon wrote:2001: A Space Odessy - 6/10

i could handle. its a little esoteric for a lot of folks. fine whatever. but midnight cowboy gets a fucking 5 out of 10?!?!

thats it, the friendship is over.
im throwing away all of the stuffed animals, im burning all of the cards and photos, and im flushing the ring, because you and i are through, mister. how can i love someone who shits so freely and copiously on that which i treasure so dearly? you bastard. i never want to see you again. :evil:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:32 pm

Hey Brock, he also gave Music and Lyrics 5/10!

By process of sublimincationality, that means that Hugh Grant=Jon Voight!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:42 pm

Brocktune wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:Midnight Cowboy - 5/10

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
WHAT?!?!?!?!

ok, this:

MasterWhedon wrote:2001: A Space Odessy - 6/10

i could handle. its a little esoteric for a lot of folks. fine whatever. but midnight cowboy gets a fucking 5 out of 10?!?!

thats it, the friendship is over.
im throwing away all of the stuffed animals, im burning all of the cards and photos, and im flushing the ring, because you and i are through, mister. how can i love someone who shits so freely and copiously on that which i treasure so dearly? you bastard. i never want to see you again. :evil:

HAHAHAHAHA!! :twisted:

I don't know what to say except Midnight Cowboy blew pretty hard. There were a handful of pretty good moments throughout, but I was waaaaaaay unimpressed by it on every level. I don't know if it's just aged poorly or what, but not a single thing about it connected with me.

Oh, and the Justin Timberlake CD's are mine. I want them back.

so sorry wrote:Hey Brock, he also gave Music and Lyrics 5/10!

By process of sublimincationality, that means that Hugh Grant=Jon Voight!

Music & Lyrics blew especially hard in the second half, but the freakin' awesome retro-'80s music video that opens the movie puts it above Midnight Cowboy in my book. 8)
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Brocktune on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:46 pm

in my head, i am imagining whedon's house is pompeii, and i am mount vesuvius.

freakin awesome retro-80's music video indeed. :evil:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

The Zone's 2007 Movie Journal

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:51 pm

I watched DEMOLITION MAN the other day in my hotel room.... Everyone I knew saw this movie when it came out.. I never did. I finally watched it... AND WHAT THE FUCK?

This thing was 3 kinds of ALF... And i fucking like ALF movies... but theres only so much one can take.

Theres a lot of JUDGE DREDD in this thing, except Dredd was a much better film...(YES.. A MUCH BETTER FILM)
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:25 pm

tapehead wrote:Other - Stunners, rarities and old favourites
Come and See 09/10 - 02.07
The Spirit of the Beehive - 09/10 - 02.07

that must've been a fun night...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:20 am

The top 3 films I saw in February have all been repeat viewings (Iron giant, Royal Tenenbaums, and Scanner Darkly). All held up well to repeat viewings (even Scanner Darkly, which I'd only seen last month).

The best discoveries this month were Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and Jesus of Montreal. The former, probably most have seen already, but the latter can best be described as a "modern Passion story." I don't want to get into what makes it so good, since that'd remove some of the surprise, but I definitely recommend Jesus of Montreal... just not for those looking for a straight/conventional telling of the crucifiction story.

Worst films I saw were Blood Diamond and Battle Royale. I didn't have many expectations going into Blood Diamond, but I expected to see something decent. In the end it was a very cliched and uninteresting affair.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:41 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Worst films I saw were Blood Diamond and Battle Royale. I didn't have many expectations going into Blood Diamond, but I expected to see something decent. In the end it was a very cliched and uninteresting affair.

Ok I agree with Blood Diamond but BATTLE ROYALE??!?!

What is there to not like?
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:50 am

colonel_lugz wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Worst films I saw were Blood Diamond and Battle Royale. I didn't have many expectations going into Blood Diamond, but I expected to see something decent. In the end it was a very cliched and uninteresting affair.

Battle Royale did something that I find extremely frustrating as a filmgoer... it had an awesome concept, but very poor execution. The acting is mainly what killed the movie for me (except for Beat, of course, he was great). The story also could've used a lot more work. I felt that they really dropped the ball on making any kind of point with the movie. The whole thing's set up like it's gonna have some interesting social commentary, but then it turns into a bunch of kids running around in the forest with half-assed action sequences and hokey character moments.

But like I said, the concept was great and the music was pretty cool too. I don't know, maybe I'm being too harsh toward it... what did you like most about it? Has this already been discussed somewhere?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:06 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:

Battle Royale did something that I find extremely frustrating as a filmgoer... it had an awesome concept, but very poor execution. The acting is mainly what killed the movie for me (except for Beat, of course, he was great). The story also could've used a lot more work. I felt that they really dropped the ball on making any kind of point with the movie. The whole thing's set up like it's gonna have some interesting social commentary, but then it turns into a bunch of kids running around in the forest with half-assed action sequences and hokey character moments.

But like I said, the concept was great and the music was pretty cool too. I don't know, maybe I'm being too harsh toward it... what did you like most about it? Has this already been discussed somewhere?

I do see you piont, but I never watched this expecting more than a lot of death and some funnies from the Beat man. I knew nothing about it when I first got hold of it, it was just recommened to me by a mate. maybe your expectation were too high after hearing about it all these years, or maybe mine were too low. I wouldn't tell anyone I lent it to to look for the social commentary or deeper meaning. Its just a fun, gore flick to watch with mates.

Oh, don't watch the sequal
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:24 am

I didn't mind Blood Diamond at all. It was pretty full on with all of the *spolier* kids shooting hostages, and adults junking up 8 year olds but I didn't mind it as a flick. It was dramatic, loads of action, a clear and realistically happy ending (considering the morbid plot). I mean it is a Hollywood film after all... it's you can't really expect City of God now can we.

The only thing I walked in expecting from it was a decent performance from Leo, and he was much better then I thought he would be. The accent was fairly believable, and once you accepted that it settles into the ears nicely. Not an Oscar nomination performance, but good.

I watched 'Stranger then Fiction' last night. It wasn't bad, not funny as I expected. It was about the dull life of a taxation officer and how, due to some very strange and unexplained phenomena, he begins to live the life he always wanted. The FX's are really nicely done, very subtle but extremely effective. Will Ferrell is a bit flat through the whole film, which was the point in the beginning but he didn't really evolve the character beyond the setup. I never really felt for Harold Crick (Will F) and didn't care too what happened to him, even though the story kept telling me that 'he's grown, he's living life'. Really it’s just a small story about a small man in a big world. Emma Thompson as Kay Eiffel (or the Narrator) is great. I just live hearing her polished tones describe everything that Harold Crick is doing.

7.5/10
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:28 am

You heartless Bastard Monkey! How could you not care about Will Ferrell, he was a decent sympathetic emotioanlly suppressed victim of life - WHO WAS GONNA DIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You cold blooded, inhuman.........!!!

Oh and what, no shout out to the gorgeouse sexy die for those eyes, Maggie Gyyyylenhall in that movie!?!?!?

SHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMME ON YOOUUU!!!!!!!!!!

Emma Thompson SUCKS!!!!!!!!! Look at me, I'm serious!!! Look at my serious faces, look at how long I can hold them for!!! A KICK IN THE FACE, SEE HOW LONG YOU CAN HOLD IT FOR THEN!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAHHHHH MONKEY!!!!! - How big is Tapehead? Do you have a couple of quid spare on Friday?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:34 am

colonel_lugz wrote: I wouldn't tell anyone I lent it to to look for the social commentary or deeper meaning.

I guess I'm a nerd like that, looking for "deeper meaning." If I'd gone into it expecting a genre film, I might've appreciated it more for what it was.

re: City of Diamonds, for me the movie went from ok to bad when during the emotional climax, *VERY MINOR SPOILER* Djimon Hounsou says "The cows are waiting for you," all teary-eyed and straight-faced. *END MINOR SPOILER* That's the point at which I vomited in my mouth.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:41 am

I don't really find her that good looking. I actually thought to myself, 'why didn't they put someone prettier or more alternative in that roll'.

*SPOILER*
He didn't really progress more from beyond the original 'straight and narrow' guy. He was a victim of life, but the whole film is about him discovering how to live it... and still in the end he was talking about taxation! I mean the last thing he said to Ana was about how to claim money back from the government! What the??

I mean I still don't have any idea why Ana fell for him as the only charming thing that Harold did was the 'flours' thing. It felt more like a sympathy root then a love of your life. Other then that he was just uncomfortable around to her (I know this was the point to start with, but at some stage it should end). I just didn't understand why they fell for each other. It wasn't show on screen why....

Did you mean to day... *SPOLIER* before you last post Kirk? :wink:

I don't know, and hope never to know how big Tape is. I do have some cash for Friday, but am wondering why your asking... are things afoot that I am unaware of??
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:43 am

I don't know if I'd call giving a woman flour a charming act of courtship. :wink:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:43 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Emma Thompson SUCKS!!!!!!!!! Look at me, I'm serious!!! Look at my serious faces, look at how long I can hold them for!!! A KICK IN THE FACE, SEE HOW LONG YOU CAN HOLD IT FOR THEN!!!!!!!!!!!

I still like her voice.... :P
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:45 am

Pacino86845 wrote:I don't know if I'd call giving a woman flour a charming act of courtship. :wink:

I thought it was cute... just a thoughtful was of doing the norm. The gal's of the Zone may be able to comment further on this.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:32 pm

I think this thread is actually shrinking. At least something is happening in here.

I haven't seen really OUTSTANDING films in awhile. True, I never saw half of the films I wanted to see this fall, but I have to catch up on DVD. I'm hoping 300 will be the next great one.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:38 pm

You know, I dont really watch a whole lot of movies either. Just the really good ones usually. Last film I saw in a theatre was Jackass Two so it's been a long time.

But then I saw these previews for Reign Over Me. It just struck me as something I might actually enjoy. Any zoners have thoughts on that one? Im sure a few of you have seen it or know someone who has.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:46 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
But then I saw these previews for Reign Over Me. It just struck me as something I might actually enjoy.

Is that the one where Adam Sandler looks like Bob Dylan...and he teams up with Don Cheadle to battle Dragons in a post-apocalyptic world...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:56 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:

But then I saw these previews for Reign Over Me. It just struck me as something I might actually enjoy.

Is that the one where Adam Sandler looks like Bob Dylan...and he teams up with Don Cheadle to battle Dragons in a post-apocalyptic world...?

Yea the one with Sam Raimi as the dragon and Morgan Freeman as the mentor for Ellen Page.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:57 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:

Yea the one with Sam Raimi as the dragon and Morgan Freeman as the mentor for Ellen Page.

I'm so there...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:22 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:I think this thread is actually shrinking. At least something is happening in here.

Dude, this thread is gold, and I'm not the only one who thinks so... a couple days ago there was talk about Demolition Man vs Judge Dredd, and it was so inspired that the posts were split off to make a new thread! Not only is this thread awesome, it has cool spin-offs as well!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:47 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:I think this thread is actually shrinking. At least something is happening in here.

Dude, this thread is gold

co-sign!

as for February faves, you can't force me to choose between...

"INLAND EMPIRE", a film where creepy brown bunnies made just as if not more sense than anything else Lynch chummed up from the depths of his conscious (or, rather, plucked from the aether that is the idea-scape of the world...according to Lynch, at any rate).

"Tears of the Black Tiger", psychedelic pop-candy wrapped around a bloody melodramatic Thai Western. Joy, joy, joy to behold.

"Twitch City", best described as Marshall McLuhan meets the merry pranksters (or as the gf said, "it's "Friends" for people like us"), it's simply one of my favorite television shows ever. Truly surreal and or dadaist comedy is rare to find, even harder to pull off.
"Twitch City" pulled it off with an insouciant aplomb, and my only regret is that there are only 13 episodes.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:43 am

I got to see both Spirit of the Beehive and Come and See this February, and watch Science of Sleep for a second time, as well as catching Hot Fuzz. It's been a good month.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:45 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote: "INLAND EMPIRE", a film where creepy brown bunnies made just as if not more sense than anything else Lynch chummed up from the depths of his conscious (or, rather, plucked from the aether that is the idea-scape of the world...according to Lynch, at any rate).

"Tears of the Black Tiger", psychedelic pop-candy wrapped around a bloody melodramatic Thai Western. Joy, joy, joy to behold.

"Twitch City", best described as Marshall McLuhan meets the merry pranksters (or as the gf said, "it's "Friends" for people like us"), it's simply one of my favorite television shows ever. Truly surreal and or dadaist comedy is rare to find, even harder to pull off.
"Twitch City" pulled it off with an insouciant aplomb, and my only regret is that there are only 13 episodes.

tapehead wrote:I got to see both Spirit of the Beehive and Come and See

*Takes notes*
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby tapehead on Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:51 am

Locke gave me Come and See, and I stole Spirit of the Beehive from Lugz' flatmate.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:59 am

So you're advising me to steal those movies, eh?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby tapehead on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:01 am

Do what you have to.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:04 am

EDIT that, Tapehead!! Pacino's going all Serpico and trying to land you in it, forcing you to expose yourself as an accomplice to theft!!!

Don't tell him about that Rocky Balboa download that you did a couple of months ago with Papalarezu, FG, Sleepflower and all the other UK Zoners except me (Lugz has a copy now. TRAITOR!!!), will ya?!?!

Ooops!

Least you get to say in the UK now anyway. All you gotta do is pick up soap in showers.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:07 am

Did someone say "Serpico"?

Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:10 am

What the..?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:47 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Did someone say "Serpico"?

LOL!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:12 pm

I just saw both THE DEPARTED and THE PRESTIGE. I gave them both 8/10, but it's hard to say which I like more. They're both different films, but I think THE PRESTIGE is leaving more of a lasting effect on me. Since it wasn't nominated, I would really like to have seen THE PRESTIGE win a screenplay award or something. It was cleverly written. THE DEPARTED was obviously good, and after seeing it, I'm glad Shoonmaker won for editing it, but until I finish catching up with all the films I missed from last year, I don't know whether to totally disagree with the Academy.

What do you all think of either of these flicks?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:42 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I just saw both THE DEPARTED and THE PRESTIGE. I gave them both 8/10, but it's hard to say which I like more. They're both different films, but I think THE PRESTIGE is leaving more of a lasting effect on me.

I thought The Departed was fairly well executed, but ultimately forgettable as I'd already seen Infernal Affairs not long before. As far as The Prestige goes, I'm right there with ya: 8/10 and had a lasting effect on me.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:23 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:I just saw both THE DEPARTED and THE PRESTIGE. I gave them both 8/10, but it's hard to say which I like more. They're both different films, but I think THE PRESTIGE is leaving more of a lasting effect on me.

I thought The Departed was fairly well executed, but ultimately forgettable as I'd already seen Infernal Affairs not long before. As far as The Prestige goes, I'm right there with ya: 8/10 and had a lasting effect on me.

I think "The Departed" is Scorcese at his best, I thought "Gangs of New York" was dismal. Leonardo proved that he can kick ass as an actor which pleasantly surprised me and it was good to see Matt Damon playing an asshole rather than his pal Ben. I'd seen the original but this seemed so much more hard nosed and gritty in exposing the lengths gone to in crime.

"The Prestige" was nice, well executed, but just seemed like a quick one off the wrist for Nolan. I much prefered the depth and character study of his "Insomnia" -a real shame it was a flop.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Coldfire24 on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:29 am

Just saw Jesus Camp..Wow...Quite a moving film. Its very hard to describe. As a christian with moderate to liberal tendencies it frightened me. It was a fasinating study of a group of americans and the things they do to these kids scares me.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:30 am

magicmonkey wrote: I think "The Departed" is Scorcese at his best, I thought "Gangs of New York" was dismal. Leonardo proved that he can kick ass as an actor which pleasantly surprised me and it was good to see Matt Damon playing an asshole rather than his pal Ben. I'd seen the original but this seemed so much more hard nosed and gritty in exposing the lengths gone to in crime.

BAH!!

"The Prestige" was nice, well executed, but just seemed like a quick one off the wrist for Nolan. I much prefered the depth and character study of his "Insomnia" -a real shame it was a flop.

BAH, I say!!! (agreed about Insomnia though)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:25 pm

Just watched DICK TRACY VS. CUEBALL (1946) on TCM. Good energy and some halfways amusing characters, but I think it's lame how they didn't have any of the established DICK TRACY villains from the strip in the RKO series. Apparently it was too hard to do Flattop, for instance, with 1940's makeup technology. I remember thinking the exact same thing when I watched DICK TRACY (1945) at my parents' video store way back in the day. I was like, who the fuck is Splitface?? At least Splitface had a gnarly scar all along one cheek; he was kind of a freak. Cueball is just a bald guy.

For a long time I thought I would slot CUEBALL under my "Decent," or middle-of-the-road heading, but ultimately there were a couple of bad plot twists that I couldn't ignore and I'm filing it under "Weak." For example, Cueball strangles people with a leather band from this sort of cowboy hat that he wears. One of the friends of Dick's son, Junior, has the same hat, and Dick notices the hat band. The kids say they sent away for the hat and show Dick the advertisement in one of their comic books. I'm thinking, okay, Dick will supoena a list of everybody who bought the hat and somehow narrow it down to find Cueball. But no, it turns out that the post office box address given in the ad is traced to a state penitentary, and it was registered to Cueball who was just released! So WTF, Cueball had a hat-selling business when he was in prison? A bunch of kids sent in 95 cents to him, and he mailed them back a cowboy hat? That's fucking strange. And then he was ALF enough to use the special leather bands from his hats to strangle a guy? Doesn't quite make sense.

It was also lame that Cueball was **SPOILER ALERT** finally dispatched by getting his foot stuck in a track during a railyard chase. Of course a big-ass freight train is coming right along and Cueball goes KER-SPLAT! This was a lazy way of resolving the movie because Dick Tracy didn't overcome Cueball using his superior wit or fighting skills. He just chased him for a while, and Cueball happened to get his foot stuck in the track. I won't complain that a train happened to be coming along when he got stuck--I would say it's to be expected that any time somebody gets their foot stuck in a railroad track, in the universe that this movie takes place in, a train will immediately be barreling down on top of him. And besides, it's a railyard--there's gonna be a lot of trains moving around. But to have the entire movie abruptly resolve itself due to an incidental occurrence that is in no way connected to the plot that comes before it is just...

AMAZING
COOL
DECENT

WEAK!!!
DEADLY
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion