The Zone's 2007 Movie Journal

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby Flumm on Wed May 30, 2007 10:43 pm

Nicely done, PF.

Sweetly imrpovised with the rating .gifs, also...

Any reason why Cinema views only? Just feel like it, or the filmic diet too high and the formating seemed overwhelming?

Eitherway, good of you to pony up along side us, the more the Zonier...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby PF Moon Deux on Thu May 31, 2007 12:00 am

Danke.

I don't keep a record of what I watch, but I do collect stubs. Hence the reason for a less thorough method.

2008 though... Maybe. Unless my latent sloth emerges.
PF Moon Deux

Postby LeFlambeur on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:32 pm

May wasn't a bad month. The best I saw was Au hasard Balthazar, with Dryer's Ordet as a worthy second.

The worst, I'm sad to say, was Spidey 3. I wanted like it, and its attempt at moral allegory was a worthy effort, but it was just a mess.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:53 pm

Stickin' with the Only Films Seen in the Cinema policy, I'd say the best I saw last month was a Senior Citizen screening of Volver (which I missed the first time round). Man, old people are weird when they group together and watch a film. It reminds me of that Monty Python sketch of the old ladies attacking youths with their handbags. The character who gets cancer in the movie has a habit of fish-kissing people three times and smacking her lips together as she does so. This rebel without a pulse decided to repeat the same sound for the rest of the movie... Erm, the movie was good too, the first time I've managed to catch an Almodovar in the cinema. Man is it refreshing to see fully-developed female characters in a movie like this. They're not some femme fatale heroines, they're just salt of the earth WOMEN doing their thing. You even get to see Penelope Cruz take a whizz at one point. Definitely worth catching on DVD whenever you can (and not just for that scene).

Worst: Hmm...I guess I'll say The Hitcher remake, which I caught yesterday. They done fucked up everything that I love about the original: they dropped the psychology (father?), over-explained everything, and replaced the streamlined, understated charm of the original with something much more bloated and blasè. Cheers for that.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:20 pm

Hey seppuku, are you updating your journal? If so, where is it, 'cause you're on the first page but w/o updates?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:28 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Worst: Hmm...I guess I'll say The Hitcher remake, which I caught yesterday. They done fucked up everything that I love about the original: they dropped the psychology (father?), over-explained everything, and replaced the streamlined, understated charm of the original with something much more bloated and blasè. Cheers for that.

Yeah...it sucked some rotten ass...

The only movie I've seen this year (even though it came out last year) that was worse was the Black Christmas remake...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:08 am

Not a terrible month, but not a great one either. Altman's "A Prairie Home Companion" was my fave, closely followed by "Stir Crazy". I thought Spiderman 3, got unfairly dissed, for me it was the first not to have a shitty baddie costume, i.e poweranger and a shitty doc ock and for that it gains respect. I think too, that it may even be the best of them, only repeat views will tell.

Worst film, was without a doubt Drek the Turd. It was painful to watch and anyone who thought "Shark Tale" was a bad movie should sit through this - you really will want to stab yourself in the eyes. Now "Manos - The hands of fate" was bad, but at least it was entertainingly so.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:29 am

I too thought Spider-man 3 got majorly dissed, but I wouldn't say it's better than the first two... it's still quite a disaster of a movie, but leveled off by its ability to entertain, I rated it the same as I'd rate the first two.

Best movie I watched was Canadian film C.R.A.Z.Y.... saw it in the theater last year, adored it. Upon second viewing I still think it's a masterpiece. No one else has seen this film? Highly highly recommended!

As for worst, it's a tie between Clerks II and Curse of the Golden Flower, but if I had to choose one it would be Curse.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Al Shut on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:47 am

Best movie in May was My Neighbor Totoro (assuming I indeed saw it in May and not April, that happens if don't sort your journal by month :oops:)

Worst was Resident Evil: Apocalypse which earned the doubtful honour of beeing worse than Alone in the Dark.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:48 am

Since it's about to be deleted from the first page, here's Confused Pete's movie journal:

Confused Pete wrote:LOVED IT
Why Do They Laugh?
The Clergy: Things To Know

LIKED IT
You Are Here: How to Identify Your Surroundings
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

DIDN'T LIKE IT
Touching Yourself in Class: The Hard Truth
Crayons: They're Not Food

HATED IT
When Your Parents Don't Love You Anymore
Taking Care of your Pet: Good Touch, Bad Touch!

AMBIVALENT
Graduating With Special Needs

Now I'm going to delete all those first pagers who don't even have a single movie listed in their journals, in order to bump a couple of second pagers to the first.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby tapehead on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:52 am

Confused Pete wrote:HATED IT
When Your Parents Don't Love You Anymore
Taking Care of your Pet: Good Touch, Bad Touch!

That's a the comedy genius, eh, paisan er, Pete?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:43 am

Pacino86845 wrote:I too thought Spider-man 3 got majorly dissed, but I wouldn't say it's better than the first two... it's still quite a disaster of a movie

Thinking about it now I see it as a dumbed down 70's New York kinda thriller laced with cocaine irony. Perhaps I need to see it again...

Pacino86845 wrote:Best movie I watched was Canadian film C.R.A.Z.Y.... saw it in the theater last year, adored it. Upon second viewing I still think it's a masterpiece. No one else has seen this film? Highly highly recommended!

I remember you recommended it awhile back, I still have my eye out for it.

Pacino86845 wrote:As for worst, it's a tie between Clerks II and Curse of the Golden Flower, but if I had to choose one it would be Curse.

Bah! Can't have been too much of a bad month then.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:54 am

magicmonkey wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:As for worst, it's a tie between Clerks II and Curse of the Golden Flower, but if I had to choose one it would be Curse.

Bah! Can't have been too much of a bad month then.

Heh, actually I only rated one movie higher than a 7/10... granted, I didn't see that much in May (only nine movies), but a few films disappointed me (Inland Empire in addition to Clerks II and Curse of the Golden Flower).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:02 am

Yeah, pretty much the same for me, I guess my 4 is a kinda 7. Man, how do you do that Euro conversion thing? Was surprised about your dislike of Clerks II, for what it was I enjoyed it as a gentle little whimsy, but Jay doing the Silence of the Lambs bit pushed it up to transcendence in my book.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:40 am

Oh dear - is Clerks 2 that bad? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I'm not a massive Kevin Smith fan but I was kinda looking forward to this. Monkey's post gives me a glimmer of hope though! After a pretty lean April and May, I now have a huge stack of DVDs to sift through over the coming weeks. I'm currently working my way through the Kinski-Herzog boxset recommended to me by Pacino (and I'm saving My Best Fiend for last!)
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:47 am

magicmonkey wrote:Yeah, pretty much the same for me, I guess my 4 is a kinda 7. Man, how do you do that Euro conversion thing? Was surprised about your dislike of Clerks II, for what it was I enjoyed it as a gentle little whimsy, but Jay doing the Silence of the Lambs bit pushed it up to transcendence in my book.

Oops, missed this before... yeah I too was surprised by my dislike for Clerks II!!! I can't really pinpoint it since it's been a while that I'd seen the first film, but I liked Clerks a heck of a lot more than Clerks II... true, Jay did elevate the film a notch or two, and if it weren't for him I might have rated it lower! The Silence of the Lambs bit was the only part that got a chuckle out of me. As for the rest of the film, it had some amusing dialogue at best, IMO.

What do you mean by "Euro conversion thing"? I don't understand!

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:

Oh dear - is Clerks 2 that bad? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I'm not a massive Kevin Smith fan but I was kinda looking forward to this. Monkey's post gives me a glimmer of hope though! After a pretty lean April and May, I now have a huge stack of DVDs to sift through over the coming weeks. I'm currently working my way through the Kinski-Herzog boxset recommended to me by Pacino (and I'm saving My Best Fiend for last!)

*hangs head in shame* you know, I STILL haven't watched all the films in that boxset!! As a notorious DVD-holic, I always have a stack of about 50 unwatched DVDs waiting to be seen... some of them were purchased two-three years ago!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:02 am

I feel your shame buddy - I still have several that I bought as far back as 2003 still in the protective wrapping!

I'll be taking my time with the boxset too, because for the first two movies, I listened to the director's commentaries straight after I watched them!

There just aren't enough hours in the day, huh?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:05 am

Heh! I think we are all guilty of leaving DVDs in the wrappers.....Good Will Hunting is staring at me now
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:06 am

Good film. Gets my seal of approval. Watch it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tapehead on Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:13 am

Clerks II - have to admit I really enjoyed the musical interlude set to that Jackson 5 number - Rosario Dawson is just so cute and bouncy! The script is funny but Smith's pop-culture referencing gags just don't have the same edge after a decade or more of he and other filmmakers working that sort of material - the whole Donkey show angle falls a little flat as well.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:17 am

Pacino86845 wrote:What do you mean by "Euro conversion thing"? I don't understand!

It was my poor attempt at an hilarious joke highlighting the disparity in
the scoring of films in a 10/10 system to a 5/5(6) system.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:26 am

Er, um... poop?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:30 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Good film. Gets my seal of approval. Watch it.

Not as good as the sequel: Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season

(how's that for circularity?)
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:32 am

I dunno, does it have Rosario Dawson dancing to "The Twist"?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:49 pm

I've been gone for a couple of weeks (I'm sure no one even noticed), but now that I have the chance, I thought I'd chime in with my picks for the best and worst flicks I saw in the month of May. This was my hardest decision, by far.

Let's start with the worst:

City Slickers 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold.

Lovitz, you putz. I really liked the first movie, and I think this one had some comedy potential too, but most of it falls flat. Oddly enough, with the ending it has, I always wanted one more adventure of Crystal and Palance going to get the gold and getting in trouble or something.

And now the best. It's a tough call. Yojimbo, Pan's Labyrinth, The Fountain, Apocalypto, Flight 93, Spidey 3, Pirates 3? There was a lot to choose from, but the winner is....

Pan's Labyrinth.

Wow. Del Toro did something amazing here. I loved how the fantasy and reality mixed. Also, I like how he isn't afraid to make us take notice that fantasy isn't just for children. And I loved Pan's voice. I think Doug Jones got dubbed over, and I feel bad for him because that keeps happening, but it was totally the right call. This is the first film I gave a 10/10 in a while, and it is well-deserved. I wouldn't mind some type of quasi-sequel back to this world.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:31 pm

Have you seen The Devil's Backbone? It's Del Toro's first masterpiece IMO, and it's a ghost story where Pan's was a fairytale.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:48 pm

I have not. But of course, it's one of those I'll catch eventually, but I really want to see it.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Chilli on Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:26 am

JANUARY
Domino - 3 Stars
Can't Hardly Wait - 3.5 Stars
Brick - 4.5 Stars
Smoking Aces - 4.5 Stars
Rocky Balboa - 5 Stars
Bourne Supremacy - 3 Stars

FEBRUARY
Clerks II - 5 Stars

MARCH
The Last Kiss - 2.5 Stars

APRIL

MAY
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 5 Stars
Perfume - 2.5 Stars

JUNE
Hot Fuzz - 5 Stars
Forty Year Old Virgin - 4.5 Stars
Music & Lyrics - 3 Stars
The Pursuit Of Happyness - 2 Stars
The Fountain - 5 Stars
Fantastic Four II - 2.5 Stars
Deja Vu - 3 Stars

JULY
Die Hard 4 - 3 Stars
HP5 - 5 Stars
Last edited by Chilli on Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:11 pm

Chilli wrote:JANUARY
Domino - 3 Stars

FEBRUARY

MARCH

APRIL

MAY
Perfume - 2.5 Stars

JUNE
Hot Fuzz - 5 Stars
Music & Lyrics - 3 Stars

Five stars to TMNT huh? Is that the animated one of the live action?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:15 pm

Chilli wrote:JANUARY
Domino - 3 Stars

FEBRUARY

MARCH

APRIL

MAY
Perfume - 2.5 Stars

JUNE
Hot Fuzz - 5 Stars
Music & Lyrics - 3 Stars

Are these the only movies you've seen all year? or is this just a random sampling?
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Chilli on Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:21 am

I've probably seen more, but can't process them yet. Plus I'm forgetting existing films I've seen.

Re: TMNT. Yep, animated.

I gave it five stars because I really dug it. My ratings are different to others, because I'll happily give a film a 5 star rating through enjoyment alone. It doesn't have to have a greater purpose or be a 'classic' for me to do that, and it'll likely drop to a 4 on a home-DVD watch.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Seppuku on Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:01 pm

Best film seen this month I caught two minutes ago, and that was Tell No One. I only saw it based on the recommendation of John-Locke, and it'll go up there with This is England, Sunshine and Zwartboek as the best new film I've seen all year. I won't say much about it, because I only had the vaguest idea of what it was about before going in, and that only added to the experience. It's not perfect, for sure, but that doesn't mean it doesn't aspire towards perfection. On a sidenote, one of the cops in the movie looked a hell of a lot like John-Locke. Parlez-vous Français, J-Lo? I doubt the fact that he was in the movie was the only reason why he liked it so much though.

Worst: Fantastic Four 2, though I didn't hate it. It did a good enough job of recreating the Marvel Universe on screen, it's just the phoney attempts at comedy killed it for me.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:43 pm

It's that time of the month where we pick our favorites and our least favorites.

For June, the crappiest thing I saw was John Tucker Must Die. It's was atrocious. It's like Mean Girls, only much worse.

The best was Knocked Up. It genuinely made me laugh, and the characters seemed to respond to situations like real people. Good writing.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:42 pm

best o' Juno...

while both PAPRIKA and ONCE look like they're sure bets for my top-10 year end list, Jim Jarmusch's b & w, deadpan revisionist Western is one of my favorite films, like, ever, and thus gets the nod above anything else I peeped last month.

Pacino86845 wrote:Where's Black Snake Moan? Isn't that officially a 2007 release?

sorry about the tardy response...it is indeed a 2007 release, but I wanted to watch it again, removed from the euphoric atmosphere of BNAT, before I commented on it again.

Didn't hold up as well on second viewing, the innate silliness of the scenario and the one-note, poorly developed misstep of the one dimensional heavy really irked me on second viewing. But damn if Brewer didn't wring a great performance out of SLJ, Ricci's turn is one of the bravest bravura performances from any actress I've seen all year, and I love how Brewer shoots and edits; he frames his shots extremely well, and his natural ability to develop a scene is exemplary. Would love to see him work on a big budget action flick, 'cuz the man is quite adept at spatial composition.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:59 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:best o' Juno...

while both PAPRIKA and ONCE look like they're sure bets for my top-10 year end list, Jim Jarmusch's b & w, deadpan revisionist Western is one of my favorite films, like, ever, and thus gets the nod above anything else I peeped last month.

Fucking white man...you can at least have the decency to name that sucker if you like it so much.

Dead man. Love it too. Not sure whether it's quite my favourite Jarmusch film or not, considering I also adore Mystery Train, Ghost Dog and Down by Law, but if not it's pretty damn close.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:08 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Fucking white man...you can at least have the decency to name that sucker if you like it so much.

hey, that's "Stupid fucking white man" to you, Mister!

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Dead man. Love it too. Not sure whether it's quite my favourite Jarmusch film or not, considering I also adore Mystery Train, Ghost Dog and Down by Law, but if not it's pretty damn close.

yeah, it's my fave, followed by DOWN BY LAW...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:04 am

For best of last month Die HArd 4 beats Hot Fuzz because I'm more in an action than comedy mood.

Worst was clearly the '84 The Hills have Eyes 2. Thursday night on ARTE isn't called trash night for nothing.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:19 am

June was a very decent month for movies...

Rewatched Edward Scissorhands, one of my all-time favorite films 'cause it never fails to make me cry.

Best of the first-time viewings was Paprika, Kon's surrealistic masterpiece (it will probably make my top 10 at the end of the year as well, along with Grindhouse I'd say).

Honorable mentions go to Zodiac and Iraq in Fragments: two very different films, both subtle in their brilliance. I don't need to say much about Zodiac I guess, but I strongly recommend Iraq in Fragments. It'll probably be tough to track down, but it's worth it.

Worst movie was undoubtedly The Number 23, and I didn't care much for Lady in the Water, but it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

P.S. Dead Man RULEZ!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:14 pm

Brocktune wrote:6/24/07 - PAPRIKA - 8/10 - T - beautiful, imaginitive, thought provoking, a real triumph. why is it that the japanese can take animation seriously as a storytelling medium, yet the majority of adult america just cant seem to? i guess it's time to do three things...move Kon's other films to the top of my netflix queue.

watch 'em in order to see his growth as a filmmaker...

Brocktune wrote:LFODH just made me want to rent "Stone Cold".

it's a toss up for me between his over-the-top cartoonish villainy in STONE COLD and his near silent turn as a 'rents raping cannibal in DEAD MAN for greatest Lance Henriksen is a bad man perf.

Brocktune wrote:THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD - 8/10 - H - can't believe it took me this long to see it. and guess what? loved it. Errol Flynn has real old school charm. they just dont make them like him anymore.

BAH! I've said it before and I'll say it again, but for all the "up with the people" malarkey in that, Robin is nothing more than a tool, a crass supporter of Monarchy who is simply a sock-puppet bully-thug of a repressive Regal regime!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE! NO MORE KINGS!

j/k...kinda.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:22 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Brocktune wrote:THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD - 8/10 - H - can't believe it took me this long to see it. and guess what? loved it. Errol Flynn has real old school charm. they just dont make them like him anymore.

BAH! I've said it before and I'll say it again, but for all the "up with the people" malarkey in that, Robin is nothing more than a tool, a crass supporter of Monarchy who is simply a sock-puppet bully-thug of a repressive Regal regime!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE! NO MORE KINGS!

j/k...kinda.

you know, i actually kind of agree. i mean i suppose it is potentially plausible that a monarch could actually be benevolent, and truly give a shit about his kingdom and its inhabitants. but obviously, his participation in the crusades betrays richard the lionheart's true inner greed and gluttony for power. honestly, could he really have been that much better than john? or would he just have been cooler to the land owning robin?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby PF Moon Deux on Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:56 pm

Updated.

I never got the chance to see Werner Herzog's new feature. Damn.
PF Moon Deux

Postby Flumm on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:47 pm

I 'spose this is a good as thread as any to deflect potential favourites to other Zoners, so here's a couple extracted from my brain and put into zonery before I seep into the walls and turn to stone enitrely.

Firstly, sepp if you're out there, you devil, have you seen Performance?

I just watched it yesterday, and I canna think of anyone here who might get as much from it as yourself, Sepps. I'll save myself from the sting of rejection, and forgo ploughing wordage into it, but if not making you fall in love with it, knowing you tend to find worth in the odds and ends of pop culture as I, I think you'd like watching it, as well as having it as a celluloidic curio to have under your belt.

It actually holds up fairly well as a film, to be fair to it, much to the credit of Roeg, Cammel, Foxz, even Jagger, although for the more ironical of reasons at times. All in all, well worth a viewing on it's own terms.

Assuming you don't know all this already...

Seconds up, Emir Kusturica's Underground for doglips.

I couldn't find hide nor hair of it zonewards, apart from MM's hinted enthusiasm for Kustrica at this year's Cannes, and I don't think it's going to get airtime on British TV anytime soon, so like some sort of ...sociatal boundry unknower, I uneasily insist myself apon you...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114787/

Genuinely, dog, I feel you would get a great deal from this film, nothing short of brilliance in the performances from the three leads, truely, so much so as in my minds eye, I try to focous on one, so the other two on the periphary, insist themselves back into the center. Not in the least, and what perhaps lead me to think of you, the lead female role played by Mirjana Jokovic who more than hold's her own against the other two male leads. Watching any of them on screen, in any combination, is well worth the frames per second of your time.

The film as a whole is hard to pin down, there's a great deal of humour, but with pathos in ther eunderneath it all, it's got a degree of the farsical, but it doesn't lift off into an oh so hillarious whimsy-fuelled flight under it's own sense of how brilliant it, quite the opposite. I'm struggling to think of a time, when humour and yet an undeniable empathy for sincerity of character was matched as well by the Coen's, Gilliam's , or Kubricks.

Comical tragedy, tragical comedy, I'm not sure which, but it's sets itself apart like few films I've watched.

I'm probably making the mistake of saying too much here, but thinking about it... I would be comfortable enough to broaden this reccomendation out to Pacino and Tony, also.

I wouldn't dare to presume to know someone else's taste well enough to predict certainty this or that, and I don't often find myself with the insisting myself apon others thing, but on this occasion, I honestly think you guys would find more than a little to love...

Or at least an original journey to thinking differently.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:55 pm

Cheers for the recc Flumm, adding it to my lovefilm list now. I'll get it up to the top, so I receive it sooner rather than later.

Sounds interesting and you know my tastes better than most, so I trust your recc implicitly.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Seppuku on Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:39 pm

Flumm wrote:I 'spose this is a good as thread as any to deflect potential favourites to other Zoners, so here's a couple extracted from my brain and put into zonery before I seep into the walls and turn to stone enitrely.

Firstly, sepp if you're out there, you devil, have you seen Performance?

I just watched it yesterday, and I canna think of anyone here who might get as much from it as yourself, Sepps. I'll save myself from the sting of rejection, and forgo ploughing wordage into it, but if not making you fall in love with it, knowing you tend to find worth in the odds and ends of pop culture as I, I think you'd like watching it, as well as having it as a celluloidic curio to have under your belt.

It actually holds up fairly well as a film, to be fair to it, much to the credit of Roeg, Cammel, Foxz, even Jagger, although for the more ironical of reasons at times. All in all, well worth a viewing on it's own terms.

Assuming you don't know all this already...

You know, I find it kinda silly that we divide the whole spectrum of human emotion into a bunch of tiny, yellow faces, but this one is EXACTLY how I'm feeling right now after reading your rec, Flumm: :)

Out of every film that's passed me by in life, Performance is the one I regret not seeing so far the most. It sounds like JUST my kind of film: where mods, gangsters and rock music collides, and all under the helm of Nic Roeg! And yet still, I can't explain why I've never seen it before. I even remember renting it out once upon a time a few years ago, but something came up and I didn't get an opportunity to watch it. Somebody doesn't want me to see Performance...

But now that you bring it up, I'm going to see it no matter what. I think Amazon lists it at under a fiver, so I've got no excuse now.

Don't worry about the potential of me hating it, that really doesn't seem too likely to me. I'll be back here soon...

Also, I know we've got a music version, but do we have a "Recommend a movie to your fellow Zoner" thread? If we don't, we should do.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby doglips on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:04 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
doglips wrote:You seen Old Joy? Next on my possibly-twee list for tomorrow....

not yet, but it's buried on my Netflix queue somewhere...

Bump it up the list - An outstanding piece of film-making. I'm going to have to sleep on it, get my thoughts in order and review it tomorrow.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:28 am

So after two days staring at the same review.....

Old Joy is a film by Kelly Reichardt and was released in the states last year to widespread critical acclaim.

It features two performances of true brilliance - Daniel London as Mark and Will Oldham ( Bonnie 'prince' Billy, if you are aware of his musical career ) as Kurt, two old school friends, who after an apparent lack of communication over a period of years get back in contact and decide to go on a camping trip, to locate a secret hot springs Kurt has visited before. Mark is married and his wife is nearing the end of her first pregnancy. Kurt is a drifter. That's the simple premise and it's the simplicity of this movie that lets the zeitgeist for Mark and Kurt's generation ( mine ) to saturate this movie.

Many will relate to Mark, a few will relate to Kurt - I think nearly everyone will be able to relate to their relationship in some way.

Old Joy is a road movie in essence and sequences of travel are beautifully scored by Yo La Tengo, however it's silence that soundtracks the rest of the movie, something rarely done in movies nowadays - there is no hustle or bustle here.

From the opening shots of Mark meditating in his back garden it's obvious that through simple visual metaphor, Old Joy is going to investigate the nuances of the 30-something generation. Further than that, the picture it paints of old friends reuniting to a whimper rather than a bang is something many will identify with.

The initial reuniting of Mark and Kurt is strained, accutley observed by Reichardt. I got a sinking feeling in my stomach that part of my life, some behind me, some in front of me was about to be dissected - always a painful ( and yet theraputic ) experience when someone else is pointing it out.

As the trip progresses Mark and Kurt recapture some small parts of their friendship, only through the remembering of times gone by, rather than having anything in common in their lives now. Most of this is put across by stoney silences, London's brilliant facial expressions painting a vivid picture of Mark's thoughts.

Kurt soon realises that he cannot remember exactly where the springs are located and the pair are forced to camp the night elsewhere, their plan changed to finding the springs the following day. You can sense Mark's underlying irritation combined with a sense of guilty relief and share in his effort keeping it hidden.

A campfire scene lets Kurt monologue, his philosophies on life fleshing out his charatcer " Or that the forest and the city aren’t as different as they used to be: now there are trees in the city and there’s garbage in the forest " it's little observations like this that make Old Joy seem so relevant - like I said before it's the simplicity of the message that fills this movie with zeitgeist.

The beautiful cinematography and direction only accentuate the subtle beauty of Old Joy. Every shot, from the initial drive out of the suburbs to slugs on logs in the forest are exquisitely framed.

My Wife never really discusses the mechanics of film-making but one sequence played out in the hot-springs - The camera centres on Mark, his face showing his anguish at actually relaxing and then cuts to his dog ( who joins he and Kurt on the trip ) exploring the undergrowth - a reminder of his home-life, of huge importance too him, but also the bringer of fake guilt. - which she remarked was quite brilliant in it's beauty and significance.

The hot springs scene brings another monologue from Kurt, giving meaning to the films title and the conclusion and new beginning to Mark and Kurt's relationship, with an uncomfortable - and totally uncalled for in the circumstances - invasion of personal space by Kurt. Whilst it makes your skin crawl with Mark's at first, it becomes apparent that at the bottom of their time-weary and empty relationship the embers of friendship still glow. Mark needed Kurt to reawaken his senses, Kurt needed Mark to find direction in his life - something eye-wateringly illustrated at the end, in a sequence where you realise how lost Kurt is.

There are two scenes in the film, both in the car, both with current affairs radio shows in the background that seem to further the strange feeling of general malaise and discontent that this generation seems to give off frequently, but I'm no expert on American politics and the names mentioned rang no bells or held connotations for me, so if anyone has seen Old Joy or watches it hence, I'd love to know what extra significance this gives to the films motives.

It's taken me a couple of days to write this review, Old Joy gave me so much emotion and pleasure that I didn't want to gush too much. It is the best movie I've seen this year and I urge you all ( if you haven't already ) to watch it ( Could bring some good conversation to Ribbons's Zeitgeist thread too ) .

Stick with it, Old Joy meanders around and while short, ( 76 mins ) could seem very slow to some - just sit back, let out a deep breath/sigh and enjoy.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:29 pm

great review.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:37 pm

That was one of my favorite movies last year.

Will Oldham indie folk hero by day. Aspiring actor?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:31 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:great review.

Thanks, you gonna bump this up your list?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:26 pm

Another month is gone.

The worst I saw was 'Fanfan la tulipe'. I plain and simple couldn't stand the main character.

For best I can't defcide between 'Die toten Augen von London'' und 'Das Indische Tuch' both ultra cheesy German adaptations of dgar Wallace novels from the sixties. I can't believe I ignored them the 3 billion times they were on tv before.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion