M. Night's THE LAST AIRBENDER

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: M. Night's THE LAST AIRBENDER (Now w/ 100% Less Avatar)

Postby Peven on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:38 am

bastard_robo wrote:
Peven wrote:
John-Locke wrote:I think it looks a bit rubbish, not that it actually looks bad but the dialogue seems terribly stilted.

yeah, but that is because it is an adaptation of anime

Non Anime.. It's American in origin...

Could call it Ameri-mation?

Or just toon

ok, i guess i am mistaken, i didn't realize that "anime" had to be japanese-made, i thought it was a style.

knowing that i will amend my statement to..."the dialogue is stilted because, imo, it is based on an american cartoon that emulates anime dialogue-style, and stilted dialogue seems pretty standard in any anime i have ever seen"

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby papalazeru on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:50 pm

Peven wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:
Peven wrote:
John-Locke wrote:I think it looks a bit rubbish, not that it actually looks bad but the dialogue seems terribly stilted.

yeah, but that is because it is an adaptation of anime

Non Anime.. It's American in origin...

Could call it Ameri-mation?

Or just toon

ok, i guess i am mistaken, i didn't realize that "anime" had to be japanese-made, i thought it was a style.

knowing that i will amend my statement to..."the dialogue is stilted because, imo, it is based on an american cartoon that emulates anime dialogue-style, and stilted dialogue seems pretty standard in any anime i have ever seen"

Wiki wrote:In Japan, the term anime does not specify an animation's nation of origin or style; instead, it serves as a blanket term to refer to all forms of animation from around the world. English-language dictionaries define anime as "a Japanese style of motion-picture animation" or as "a style of animation developed in Japan".

So, you're both right.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Maui on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:51 pm

As much as the newest trailer has me really jazzed, what little we see of the dialogue is a bit stiff and I don't think we can blame it entirely on the fact that it's an anime adaptation. I really don't want this movie to suck. Stunning visual effects by ILM and love for the cartoon can't make this movie a winner if all of these kids are piss poor actors. Plus we have a director that hasn't done anything great since Unbreakable but has a proven track record when it comes to directing the kidlets. Will he miss the mark and make this too dark and action heavy? We'll find out July 2nd.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:08 pm

i really hope they don't cut out the humor entirely, it is a kid's story, after all, but i think if it is just toned down i will still be able to enjoy it on its own merits

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Tue May 11, 2010 10:40 pm

Maui
WoWie

Postby MacCready on Wed May 12, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks for the link, Maui. I really don't want to get my hopes up, but that trailer was excellent. Poster were pretty good too.
Did anyone else think that the girl in the poster looked like Michelle Trachtenberg? A bit?
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:24 pm

TV Spot 4. Please note, we have a closeup shot of Appa's face. :D

Also, the release date has been moved up 1 day, to July 1st, eh?

Paramount has moved up the theatrical release date for family adventure "The Last Airbender" one day to Thursday, July 1.

Midweek debuts generally are designed to stimulate word-of-mouth in advance of an opening weekend. Paramount effectively will reap a five-day bow for the M. Night Shyamalan-helmed pic, as Independence Day falls on a Sunday and Monday, July 5, is a federal holiday in the U.S.

Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:31 pm

Maui wrote:Please note, we have a closeup shot of Appa's face. :D

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: M. Night's THE LAST AIRBENDER

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:25 am

i think this movie could be the surprise success of the summer.....we'll see

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:19 am

Ribbons wrote:
Maui wrote:Please note, we have a closeup shot of Appa's face. :D

Yip! Yip!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:20 am

Oh Appa.

That sky bison can sell anything.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:24 am

Ribbons wrote:Oh Appa.

That sky bison can sell anything.

I wanna know where Momo is? I've yet to see him in any trailers or TV spots. I wonder if he's going to be some sort of sock puppet.

Doh!

Maui
WoWie

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:19 am

New TV spot Maui helped me to find. Featuring more momo.

papalazeru

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:31 am

Noah Ringer, who plays Aang, carried around a blue-screen bag that stood in for Momo. But when it came to putting Momo into the scenes, says Harrington, they had to make sure that Momo could really interact with Aang. The VFX crew spent a lot of time at the zoo observing real lemurs. Then they shot footage of Noah pantomiming with an imaginary lemur — sometimes he had to pull his arm in a little so that the lemur's limbs would have a place to go. "We really needed to know where his head is, where his shoulders are, where his arms were going to be," says Harrington.

I think ILM has done an excellent job with Momo.

Edit: Tim Harrington is the animation supervisor at ILM. He was also responsible for making Appa fly! He's lives here in the Bay area. :D
Maui
WoWie

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Shamalama-Ramadamadingdong Interview where he talks about Airbender, and also The Night Chronicles, which sounds very interesting.

From here
A lot of things immediately come to mind when moviegoers hear the name "M. Night Shyamalan," and whatever you think of him, there's no denying that as a filmmaker, he is constantly trying to break through new boundaries. That's something that's never been truer than with his latest, The Last Airbender, based on the Nickelodeon cartoon "Avatar: The Last Airbender." Besides being Shyamalan's first movie not based on one of his own original ideas, it's his first fantasy movie not set in our world as well his first full-on action and effects movie, complete with some brilliant work from visual FX supervisor Pablo Helman and Industrial Light & Magic.

The story takes place in a world separated into four elemental nations: Fire, Water, Earth and Air, each tribe having mastered their particular element to the point of being able to manipulate it to their ends. The Fire Nation has started a war by invading the other territories with their machines, and the only one that can bring this world back to its previous peaceful state is the mythic Avatar, a being who can control all four elements. That happens to be a young boy named Aang, played by newcomer Noah Ringer, who has yet to master that control, but along with the young waterbender Katara (Nicola Peltz) and her brother Sokka (Jackson Rathbone from the "Twilight" movies), he begins looking for those who can help him learn. Unfortunately, the Fire Nation doesn't want their imperial rule ended, so the exiled Prince Zukko (Dev Patel from Slumdog Millionaire) and the leader of the Fire Nation navy, Commander Zhao (Aasiv Mandvi of "The Daily Show") race to capture Aang and his friends before they can do so.

ComingSoon.net/SuperHeroHype has talked to Night quite a few times over the years, and we're always surprised that as a filmmaker, he seems to constantly be misunderstood or his words misconstrued. We've always found him to be quite a smart and insightful interview subject, rarely stumped by a question and always having a candid answer ready, so we always look forward to sitting down with him and trying to straighten out any misconceptions. We decided not to ask him the obvious questions about the casting of non-Asian actors in certain roles, because in our opinion, that has already been over-discussed far too much.

CS/SHH: Having talked to you a couple times since you started this, I kind of know why you wanted to do this movie and we can skip right past that.
M. Night Shyamalan: Okay, great.

CS/SHH: I wanted to talk about the casting because there's obviously been a lot of talk about that, but I'm really curious about the decision to cast new and rather inexperienced actors. When you went into this, was that a very conscious decision?
Shyamalan: Yes, absolutely. That was an agenda to kind of have a cast you didn't associate with other movies so you could kind of let yourself go and believe the fantasy. I mean, let's say if Luke Skywalker was Robert Redford at the time, I don't know if I'd have been able to let myself go in that way and say, "That's what 'Star Wars' is. That's what 'Lord of the Rings' is," you know? You want to create a new vocabulary of clothing, of look, of textures and of actors.

CS/SHH: You've done movies with Bruce Willis and a movie with Mel Gibson. For this one, you don't have the names, so there's the pressure of having your name sell the movie in some ways. Was that a consideration or was it more important to have audiences get lost in the movie and not worry about that stuff?
Shyamalan: Yeah, what was interesting is that the studio--and they did feel this way, which was lucky--thought that the idea of me doing an epic fantasy would be an interesting combination for audiences to kinda go, "Oh wow, is this gonna be more of an unusual take on this subject, it might make it more grounded." For people that are like, "Oh, fantasies aren't my thing," because they can't relate to it in their daily lives go, "Well, Night tends to talk about human things that are important to me, so maybe that will be in there." That unexpectedness of that combination of stuff, I was hoping that people would find it interesting.

CS/SHH: Also, I wanted to ask about the Asian and Middle Eastern actors. I assume you have fairly varied tastes in movies, so were you familiar with many of these actors beforehand?
Shyamalan: It's funny. Obviously now it's all mixed together 'cause I've seen all their movies since, but like, Dev (Patel), I didn't know who he was and he had auditioned in London for me. I pulled him aside and I gave him to the studio with a couple other guys and I said, "This is a totally different way to go for Zuko and I'm not sure I'm saying I want this." Also, since he was Indian I was feeling a little bit like, "Oh, don't jam your own peeps down everybody's throat." I wanted to make sure everybody was on board, but in my opinion, he gave the best audition, then when "Slumdog" came out I was literally screaming, "There's that kid that I love!" That helped for all of us to kind of have the courage to go a different way with Zuko, which I was really excited about. Then, Shaun (Toub), he did such a beautiful audition for Uncle Iroh who's my favorite character. The two favorite characters are Zuko and Uncle Iroh for me in the movie. Uncle Iroh is the kind of the Yoda or the Ben Kenobi of it. Shaun gave a beautiful performance and I did remember him from "Iron Man" 'cause when I saw the first "Iron Man" I was like, "That's a beautiful performance, who is that actor? Keep an eye on him." Then when he came in and read for Iroh, I was pumped. Then Cliff - the only time I'd seen Cliff Curtis was in my favorite scene in "Training Day," and I was like, "Oh my god, that dude, he's scary!" (laughs)

CS/SHH: There are a lot of firsts in this movie for you. Besides being an adaptation and as you say, being a fantasy as opposed to a genre movie based in reality, and then the amount of FX and action. Going into this, did you feel like, "Okay, there's going to be a lot of things I'm doing for the first time" and was there a desire to get some of that stuff out of your system? Or did you want to see how it worked out to move that way in the future?
Shyamalan: Well, it wasn't so agenda-driven like that, but more of kind of subject-driven, that I wanted to make the movie and I think my initial instincts of always holding back everything till the last possible second, to tell somebody or show something, wasn't the instinct that I needed to nurture here. I needed to nurture kind of a poetic beauty to the fighting and the balancing act of the momentum and the character stuff that I wanted, which is a different balance than if you're having so much action in a movie, it creates a certain speed. So if you were going 75 miles an hour and I went back to 55, you'd think I was going slow, right? But, if you're going 45 and accelerated to 55 you'd be like, "Slow down man." You know, it's all your perception, and so they have different requirements. So that was an interesting challenge.

CS/SHH: For a movie like this to have so much going on in just 100 minutes is just unheard of, since these kinds of movies tend to be two and a half hours long. Was that something you did consciously while writing to keep it at a shorter length?
Shyamalan: Yeah, super, super tight. What I wanted was for it to feel rich visually and the cleanest possible story. In a mythology like this, you can bifurcate so many times the storylines. There were other storylines that we had shot that I felt were pulling away from the clarity of what I was doing, so I brought some of my minimalist philosophies. My movies are generally like 107 minutes long. That pacing is still there in my head. I can't not think with that pace.

CS/SHH: Which is good, because audiences tend to get annoyed when a movie is over two hours.
Shyamalan: Yeah, I mean, I'm dying to make a two-hour movie. I just haven't earned it yet.

CS/SHH: I also wondered about how much extra stuff you filmed because obviously when you have the ILM guys working on adding so much FX, you can't have them doing stuff and then cutting it out of the movie. Were you able to cut stuff out before they started working on it?
Shyamalan: Yeah, I would give myself a B+ on that scale of being able to anticipate and not waste their energy and time. It's a tricky balance because you can knee jerk too quickly, so for example, if something's not working… what happens is, you're cutting for three, four months with nothing in your movie, right? So let's say it's the scene with you and I fighting, right? I'm like, "Wow, this is not the greatest fight sequence." I know there's all the CGI with you and I in it doing our fighting, but just every time I get to this scene in the movie it's not working, let's trim it down. We trim it down and it's now feeling like it's just not working, so I'm like, "You know, let's cut it out. Let's stop them working on it." Well, what happens is, you've made a mistake, because until I see the first ILM stuff and then I put that in and now you see this and go, "Wait a second, this is making a huge difference in this area of the movie because now we're seeing like earth versus water in a way we've never seen before, and it's escalating the conversation when two scenes from now, someone says something about earth, you're thinking about what the guy just did. So it's a little chicken and egg the whole time of making sure you're not knee jerking too quickly. I definitely, a couple of times, knee jerked quickly and then I had ILM show me what they had done even if it wasn't ready and put it back in the movie.

CS/SHH: I was curious about working with ILM because obviously there's so much effects involved with this and you've done some before but not on this scale? Can you talk about working with ILM? I've heard that you really pushed them to their limits to make the best-looking fire they possibly could for instance.
Shyamalan: Yeah, I pushed them like crazy and just treated them like the actors and held it to a certain level of integrity and say, "Look, we're gonna go by one language which is the vocabulary of what I think is real and what's not real and what I think is poetic and not poetic, and we're just gonna go every shot and every frame and make sure that it's at that level." They were fantastic. I mean, they brought on the greatest people to help me and it was challenging, and there were moments where I didn't think it was gonna happen and I didn't think we were gonna get there and that's all part of the process too of doubt and then pushing, but they came through.

CS/SHH: I think they did an awesome job and that Pablo Helman will earn another Oscar nomination for this.
Shyamalan: Yeah, they're the best.

CS/SHH: You're obviously a big fan of "Star Wars" and wanted to make that kind of movie, so do you ever have going through your mind, "What would George Lucas do in this case?" or not really?
Shyamalan: (Laughs) No, I probably wouldn't say it like that, although I finished the movie at Skywalker Ranch which was fantastic and I got to meet George again and he's like, "Oh, I'm really excited to see the movie." I was like, "Uh..." (Laughs) You're like, "Oh, no." But, you have your teachers... George Lucas and Steven Spielberg for me are the teachers and you approach it humbly. The best part about it is I approach it like I didn't know and that helps you in every way as an artist.

CS/SHH: What about working with Frank Marshall, because obviously Frank had worked with Steven Spielberg on all those amazing movies.
Shyamalan: It's true.

CS/SHH: So what does he bring to the mix and what are some of the things he threw in there to make this movie different?
Shyamalan: Well, Frank, his job is to keep everything calm, and keep me from freaking out (Laughs) or melting down and keeping everyone involved, the studio and ILM, on point and making sure that if I feel like, "Hey, we're falling behind with CGI," that he'll have the difficult conversation with them, or if the studio feels like, "Hey, we have to see something." He'll say, "Well, let Night have a few more weeks because he wants to get it just right," those kind of things. He was comforting in that they've done so many great movies, that when he says it's looking great you feel like that means something, you know?

CS/SHH: Obviously, this is meant as the first of three movies…
Shyamalan: Yeah, my hope is that very soon someone will say to me, "You can make the next movie." That's my first goal, and I'm emotionally preparing myself if that's not the case. You've gotta be ready as an artist that your dream may not happen, but if it does, and I hope it will and everyone thinks it will, I hope so, that would be awesome. Then I could think about taking it to another level, plus because now I feel comfortable and versed with all of this and…

CS/SHH: And all the research is done in terms of how to create the elemental bending effects.
Shyamalan: Not even… yeah that, but my development as an artist that has to do this now. I don't know if Chris (Nolan) felt this on "Batman Begins" going into "The Dark Knight," but a certain kind of feeling of like I'm comfortable. I have the tools ready to play this position now. Less learning on the job and perhaps now striving for a new level kinda thing, so I would love that opportunity. That would be great. But I don't want to stop my supernatural thriller, so I'm trying to figure it out.

CS/SHH: I'm also really curious about this new "Night Chronicles" thing you're doing. I know you have a ton of ideas all the time and there's no way as a filmmaker you can actually make all those movies. Can you talk about that a little bit and why you decided to have other filmmakers do those?
Shyamalan: Yeah, you know, here's my thing. I think I have a weird relationship with the audience. It's not a director-to-audience relationship. It's an author relationship, like an author in the literary world has with their audience. That's the relationship I have with my audience. It's something I cherish. So it would be more akin to Stephen King's relationship… or pick your author. That makes more sense, so in that paradigm, who I aspire to be in my career is Agatha Christie, that's who I aspire to be. When you say, "Who is your career patterned after?" It's Agatha Christie. I'd love at the end of the day for you to see 60 stories which came outta my head. So I said, "I can't direct 60 movies. I can't even direct the ones that have come into my head, the outline. I'd love them to be made, and they maybe not right for me at this second." I used to hoard them like, "I'll do it one day. I'm gonna do it one day, no way I'm giving it up." I decided, "You know what? I'm gonna take the first three of these that are so dear to my heart." The criteria for "The Night Chronicles" is it has to cause me pain to let them go. If there's no pain involved, they're not going in "The Night Chronicles." So the first one's "Devil" and it's actually coming out I think September 17th now.

CS/SHH: Oh, it's coming out this year?
Shyamalan: Yeah, we moved it up.

CS/SHH: That's pretty cool. As far as being able to let things go, how does that work? Do you pick directors who you've seen movies you like and let them do their thing?
Shyamalan: Yes, yes, that I think their thing, the color they're bringing, will compliment me in our point of views, and then the combination will be the correct balancing act for that particular story. The great thing about these movies is just like my movies I'm directing, I can tell you the emotional target we're trying to hit. So I can keep conveying that in the casting and any input I give to these guys or girls, you know, how to hit that, "Hey, we're moving, we're moving, get it closer." Hopefully, that will create an unusual thing. I mean, it's kind of an unusual thing. The kind of the approach was kind of Rod Serling of the "Twilight Zones" but for movies, and "The Night Chronicles" will be that, coming from the same guy's mind, all of this tonality. So we'll see.

CS/SHH: Are these lower budget than you would normally do as well?
Shyamalan: Oh, yeah. They definitely are and that's a new kind of approach, but that's also exciting for me, getting to meet and work with a whole crop of new artists and crew and cast. I've already been very interested in working with some of the people from the first "Night Chronicles" on my movies, so it's a great farm system for me to pull up the next great people.

CS/SHH: Before, you talked about your relationship with your audience and I'm curious how that's changed since "The Sixth Sense" especially with the internet having changed so much? You've always been very secretive with your plots and with your new movie, the plot was out there within a week. How do you see that relationship with your audience evolving in the future?
Shyamalan: Yeah, I think "Airbender" is a great one to transition here into this time period because it is a known storyline, so that's very, very freeing for me. It will be interesting to see in the future how to do it and keep some kind of… innocence about the process and keep it fresh for them when they open on opening day. I think it's a good thing for us, because I like when people discuss my movies and I think that's a good forum for that.

The Last Airbender is out in regular and 3D theaters everywhere on Thursday, July 1.

papalazeru

Postby minstrel on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:33 pm

"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:27 pm

sounds like, among other things, this film was the victim of a Clash of the Titans-esque last-minute 3D conversion/assfucking.
this is the first shamalama film to be released that i've had zero interest in from the start. even the killer plant movie looked entertaining in an unintentional, ed wood way (though it turned out not to be quite as entertaining as that). i'm not familiar with this property, and nothing i've heard or read about it has piqued my interest. the only thing to even mildly interest me in this is the prospect of finally seeing shamalama direct someone else's script. well, so much for that.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:41 pm

TheBaxter wrote:sounds like, among other things, this film was the victim of a Clash of the Titans-esque last-minute 3D conversion/assfucking.
this is the first shamalama film to be released that i've had zero interest in from the start. even the killer plant movie looked entertaining in an unintentional, ed wood way (though it turned out not to be quite as entertaining as that). i'm not familiar with this property, and nothing i've heard or read about it has piqued my interest. the only thing to even mildly interest me in this is the prospect of finally seeing shamalama direct someone else's script. well, so much for that.

I was going to see this at the Arclight on friday while at Anime Expo, but they're only showing it in 3D and it's damn year $20 bucks. Fuck that.

There are only 2 other films Im seeing in 3D this year, Piranha, and Tron.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby MacCready on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:14 pm

Aw crap. I was hoping to enjoy this with my kid, as we used to watch the tv series together. Double crap.
I will hate MNS forever if he fucked this up, the Struggling Background Artist.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:10 am

I wonder if it's just continued M Night hate, or if this really sucks that bad. A lot of those reviews were pretty harsh.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:31 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:I wonder if it's just continued M Night hate, or if this really sucks that bad. A lot of those reviews were pretty harsh.

The scores are putting it lower than a Boll film. I think there's a lot of hate out there. I'd like to hear what a fan of animated series has to say.

papalazeru

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:46 am

Reading more reviews, the trend of M. Night hate seems to be a driving force. People honestly want to tear down everything this guy dose. Other major portions dont' get the plot, and seem not to have watched the series. The Crappy 3D dosn't seem to be helping (which is why I'm not going to see it in 3D)

I've been cautiously optimistic about this film since I saw the first trailer. I haven't enjoyed an M.Night film since he went overboard with The Village. And by all means, there's no reason he should of written this. After THE HAPPENING Tanked, Parmount should have had either the series creators come in and write a treatment and hired a screen writer to hash out a proper script. I still say Night can make a good looking film, his weakness is in his bloated writing.

BTW.. The Racebending thing is all horseshit to me. It's like when the few people who bitched about Goku in the DragonBall movie being white and not Asain, with me having to remind people that He's an alien to begin with in a world that doesn't resemble the real one. Same goes for Avatar. It's a made up world were everyone looks Asian (sans Aang, who always looked white to me) Didn't' hurt that M.Night changed that aspect. Now get off your high horse.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:49 am

bastard_robo wrote:Reading more reviews, the trend of M. Night hate seems to be a driving force. People honestly want to tear down everything this guy dose. Other major portions dont' get the plot, and seem not to have watched the series. The Crappy 3D dosn't seem to be helping (which is why I'm not going to see it in 3D)

I've been cautiously optimistic about this film since I saw the first trailer. I haven't enjoyed an M.Night film since he went overboard with The Village. And by all means, there's no reason he should of written this. After THE HAPPENING Tanked, Parmount should have had either the series creators come in and write a treatment and hired a screen writer to hash out a proper script. I still say Night can make a good looking film, his weakness is in his bloated writing.

BTW.. The Racebending thing is all horseshit to me. It's like when the few people who bitched about Goku in the DragonBall movie being white and not Asain, with me having to remind people that He's an alien to begin with in a world that doesn't resemble the real one. Same goes for Avatar. It's a made up world were everyone looks Asian (sans Aang, who always looked white to me) Didn't' hurt that M.Night changed that aspect. Now get off your high horse.

Please, don't compare this to the dragonball movie or I've lost all hope.

papalazeru

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:16 am

Well, just got of the blower with my friend who works for an AMC theater. He's also a massive Avatar The Last Airbender fan. In a nutshell, I'll just past what he posted on his Facebook:

Fuck u M. Night whatever the fuck your name is....u suck and fucking destroyed avatar the last airbender u douche....I walked out of it it was that bad.... don't see this movie...just watch the cartoon. Bad acting. Bad effects. And period bad directing. Do not watch the last airbender. ........ damnit.

He complained that no one could pronounce anyone's name right, that there were liberties taken from the toon and so forth.

I'm still seeing this on Friday, but I'm basically given up any hope that it'll be any good.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:17 am

papalazeru wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:Reading more reviews, the trend of M. Night hate seems to be a driving force. People honestly want to tear down everything this guy dose. Other major portions dont' get the plot, and seem not to have watched the series. The Crappy 3D dosn't seem to be helping (which is why I'm not going to see it in 3D)

Please, don't compare this to the dragonball movie or I've lost all hope.

You know.. The Dragonball movie wasn't all that bad. I liked it. They did what they could on the budget they were given.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:11 am

bastard_robo wrote:You know.. The Dragonball movie wasn't all that bad. I liked it. They did what they could on the budget they were given.

That's fair enough but it isn't Dragonball.

papalazeru

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:26 am

bastard_robo wrote:I'm still seeing this on Friday, but I'm basically given up any hope that it'll be any good.

This statement has revoked your right to ever complain about the shite adaptations that hollywood churn out. If you know its gonna be shit, but you go see it anyway, then you justify its production.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:34 am

papalazeru wrote:I'd like to hear what a fan of animated series has to say.

I'd like to hear what Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko have to say about this film.
Maui
WoWie

Postby so sorry on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:17 am

MacCready wrote:

Aw crap. I was hoping to enjoy this with my kid, as we used to watch the tv series together. Double crap.
I will hate MNS forever if he fucked this up, the Struggling Background Artist.

I will be doubly interested to hear your take on the movie MacCready. For me, I know jack squat about this cartoon, but visually the trailers have looked pretty cool. But I'd love to hear a fan's point of view.

Regarding the M.Night debate: I thought for sure that even he wouldn't be able to fuck this movie up (since he had a script to follow and and entire cartoon series to reference). I am one of those people who think M.Night is a one-hit wonder (that hit by the way being The Sixth Sense, not that goofy superhero movie), and nothing has proven me wrong.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Marksman230591 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:53 pm

Well, it seems everyone pretty much hates it. That's a darn shame, I myself am a big fan of the show (anyone here who hasn't watched it, do yourselves a favor and go to Netflix or something and stream it now. The first few episodes can make it look childish, but believe me, it'll just get better and better), and it's sad to see that even the fans hate it. Guess I won't be bothering going to watch it. Damn, even with someone else's source material, MNS still screwed it up. RIP Shyamalan's career, though I think nobody's gonna mourn it.
Marksman230591
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:59 am

Marksman230591 wrote:Well, it seems everyone pretty much hates it. That's a darn shame, I myself am a big fan of the show (anyone here who hasn't watched it, do yourselves a favor and go to Netflix or something and stream it now. The first few episodes can make it look childish, but believe me, it'll just get better and better), and it's sad to see that even the fans hate it. Guess I won't be bothering going to watch it. Damn, even with someone else's source material, MNS still screwed it up. RIP Shyamalan's career, though I think nobody's gonna mourn it.

Here's my take, Mind you I haven't seen the film yet.

M. Night is a "GOOD" filmmaker. IN as much as Lucas was one. He clearly knows how to shoot a nice looking film, and has great "Ideas" Problem is, that he insist on writing his own stuff. There in lies his downfall. For some reason, after Signs (his last good movie in my book) his ego became super inflated, and he bought into his own bullshit.

The Village is a sign of that. Lady in the Water, while not as bad as the Village, was all over the place. The Happening. GREAT fucking Idea, really fucking shitty execution. And while the Happening was a shit movie, sans a shot or two (The Lion Ipod shot) it was a still a good looking film.

To just dump on the guy is one thing. Yes, he's made some crap films, but I Dont see this as being the end of this career. I see him working, but I see him getting smaller budgets from now on. And I do see him one day, finally biting the bullet and directing something he didn't write or do a re write on, and I have a feeling, that film will get him back in everyone's good graces.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:54 am

I haven't seen any of M. Night's films since UNBREAKABLE. Not out of any act of protest and not because I didn't enjoy those two first films of his, I didn't see them just because I happened to miss seeing them.

Everybody keeps saying he went way downhill after the two I saw, but honestly, they all sounded like the types of ridiculous movies I like: Mel Gibson as a priest who fights aliens and his own atheism with a sprinkler, a killer tree stalking Marky Mark and Zooey Deschannel, M. Night casting himself as the most important storyteller of all time. But the reviews for this AIRBENDER movie are like BATTLEFIELD EARTH bad and I actually have a hard time believing he has that bad a film in him.

Maybe I'll watch the others first and see if he really does work his way down to a point where I can imagine him making something as bad as people say this is, but it also might be a case of beloved cartoon + blockbuster expectations + filmmaker everybody loves to hate = hyberbole to the max.

We'll see.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:41 am

All these Zone reviewers talk about the movie and say, 'I've seen a couple of eps...'.

Yes a marvel film come out and it's all, 'true to the comic' or 'unlike the comic'....so why don't they make the time to appreciate the new and watch the fucking carton? It's a genuine good piece of work through and through.

Do they think nothing this new can actually be any good?

Edit: There is ONE reviewer who's a fan (although I've never heard of enemy before)

papalazeru

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:47 am

as we know, every shamalama film has to have a twist at the end. so here is the twist for the last airbender:
m. night shamalamadingdong was a terrible director the whole time!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Marksman230591 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:52 pm

I actually liked Shyamalan's first 3 films (6th Sense, Signs and Unbreakable). It was AFTER that when it all just went downhill. I think what many are saying are right, his ego got super-inflated, and believed that whatever he did, it'd be good. But really, though, as a visionary director, I think he's got skill, it's really just his writing and actor-directing that's gotten awful.
Marksman230591
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:12 pm

TheBaxter wrote:as we know, every shamalama film has to have a twist at the end. so here is the twist for the last airbender:
m. night shamalamadingdong was a terrible director the whole time!

That's the same twist ending in all his movies!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby MacCready on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:20 pm

M Night Shyamalan; The Last Shitbender.

Well, I took The Kid to see Airbender this morning, after a prolonged and excited wait for this film to come out.
And while The Kid enjoyed it, as most nine year olds might be expected to, this reporter was filled with a growing hatred and loathing for the self-aggrandizing chunk of wank-meat that is M Night Shyamalan. This film might have been able to survive his direction - but his script sank like a Gulf of Mexico oil rig in flames, leaving a slimy residue bobbing on the surface.
Had MNS ever watched the series? Evar? Somehow he managed to successfully bleed every single character in the film of any substance, any CHARACTER, whatsoever. The only person I like watching was Uncle Iroh, and it seemed like he was in another film, any other film than this. Big props to Shaun Toub for rising way above MNS's deadening, neutering writing/direction.
Others fare not as well.
Nicola Peltz looked strangely like Michelle Trachtenberg, but since her character was given naught else to do but look earnest......Fail.
Jackson Rathbone's character, Sokka, fares worst of all. Sokka was comic relief - funny, faithful and lively. As rendered by MNS's "writing", he is less than a cipher. He does not register at all. He is a blank slate. Epic Fail.
Noah Ringer as Ang? The script does him no favors, and offers no real reason to care about him one way or another. Either the kid is just not much or an actor, wasn't given a thing to work with ( fact) or a deadly combination of both. Epic Fail.
The casting was wildly inconsistent - in the Southern Water Tribe live Katara & Sokka, both very "western" looking. And yet the other people of their village looked like eskimos. WTF? I had no issues with the multi-ethnic casting perse ( hell, let's get everybody in on this), but there was no consistency in it. Epic Fail.
The script. I would rather Uwe Boll do the sequel than MNS; the script was that poor. Never got pulled into, involved in the story or the characters, with the above stated exception of Uncle Iroh and perhaps the beautiful Seychelle Gabriel as Princess Yue. Sadly, her portion of the story is so minimal, so rushed and incomplete that her sacrifice, which should have been a weeper, barely registers.
Mind-numbing, excessive, pants-splitting gas producing FAIL.
The direction. Feh.
Fans of the series will be hitting their knees in the days to come, praying to the Godz of Celluloid that MNS is not allowed to write, direct or come within 500 miles of the sequel. Assuming his "deft touch" hasn't made a sequel moot. I really, really wanted to love this - hell, at the worst at least like it.
All I want to do now is tear off M Night Shymalan's balls using a filthy, dull hand saw and feed them to starving dogs. He took what could have been an amazing, exciting prospect and shitbended it into ... well, shit.
Somebody, anybody ( I don't care who) please keep M Night Shymalan from making another film. Failing that, at least prevent him from being involved in any way with any sequels to The Last Airbender, if any.
Ang would have wanted it that way. He deserved better.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby MacCready on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:03 pm

On a side note, the 3D is shite - used about as poorly as in a 3D version of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? The flying lemur, in a laughably bad "introduction" to his character, crawls around on Ang's shoulders while "Ang" gamely tries to mime putting his hands on the creature - and never comes close.
Appa looks great though, so a film of Uncle Iroh and Appa would be a hit in my book.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:18 pm

:shock: Yiiiiiiikes.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby MacCready on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:36 pm

so sorry wrote::shock: Yiiiiiiikes.

Well, you DID ask for it.......so save your hard earned shekals and wait to see this on DVD, if see it you must.
Sorry the news is so bad. So very sorry. ( your cousin, perhaps?)
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:40 pm

MacCready wrote:
so sorry wrote::shock: Yiiiiiiikes.

Well, you DID ask for it.......so save your hard earned shekals and wait to see this on DVD, if see it you must.
Sorry the news is so bad. So very sorry. ( your cousin, perhaps?)

Believe me pal, I was never really going to see this. But I was interested in hearing a review from someone who did want this to succeed, so thanks for the write up (as much as it pained you).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:56 pm

Of course, if The Kid liked it, then one can assume most kids will like it, which means that it will make money, and MNS will make the sequels. Reviews be damned, say the producers! We don't care what the critics think, we only care what the accountants think!

And we will suffer through bad films until our kids develop better taste.
minstrel

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:10 pm

On the upside, a theme in most of these negative reviews is that the movie is very dense and exposition-heavy; IF they make a sequel(s), then a lot of that will probably be out of the way.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:10 pm

I was, and still sorta am, prepared to go see it...but things like this aren't too encouraging - http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/lastairbender
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:33 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I was, and still sorta am, prepared to go see it...but things like this aren't too encouraging - http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/lastairbender

It scores worse than Jonah Hex. Worse than Marmaduke. Even worse than (gasp!) Furry Vengeance.

Yeesh.
minstrel

Postby MacCready on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:35 pm

And deserves to.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Hatter76 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Hatter76
GLIB

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:33 am

uh oh!

i kinda liked it
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby minstrel on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:27 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:uh oh!
i kinda liked it

Then give us a full review! We need to know where all the critics went wrong. Or, at least, how MNS cleverly constructed his film to appeal to the bovine demographic.
minstrel

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:40 am

I watched it last night..

The critics are not wrong.

This movie is bad. And it's all on M. Night's greasy hands.

Looking at this film with a filmmakers eye, there are so many shots and set ups that sream FILMSCHOOL finals. Then, there are truly great shots that give you a hint that M. Night was once a great filmmaker.

I was cautiously optimistic about this film. Much like an abused girlfriend gose back to her asshole boyfriend, I got what I deserved by seeing this.

Just by looking at my other posts, everyone knows I have massive love for the show. I love everything about it. So, when I was sitting in a dark theater with about 90 other people, all I was thinking "this was so much better in the show" And I think thats part of the promblem. The story is basically the cliff notes version of Season 1, done under 2 hours. So, there's really nothing new to people who have seen the show. Is that a bad thing, in theory no. But with poor dircting, dialog that would make George Lucas blush, and choppy editing (comparable to Jonah Hex!) it kills anything the cartoon built up with the same story over 24 episodes.

I honestly think that with the news of M NIght moving on to another project, Paramount knew that they had a stinker on their hands, and re ediited this thing to keep it moving and get it done with, and try to recoupe some of their $100 million plus budget. And thats another thing. While the film looks really nice (I can't fault on that one) It' also feels really cheap on some angles. There's a few shoddy green screen shots that are there for a few moments, but when Aang (who's name is pronounced ONG in the film, and I'll get to that in a minute) heads into the spirit world, it's like a highschool play version of the spirit world. Some dark gels and color timing on a closed set that looks like a halfed ass forest built by 10th graders. With the money this guy had, he couldn't make it look a little more interesting?

Lastly, I'm not sure M. Night has watched the whole show, or at least more than a few eps. IF he did, he'd know how to pronounce the characters fucking names right. Aang is called Ong in the film. Irho is jumbled by everyone who says his name, even Zukos's name is mishmashed. Part of that has to at least go to the shit poor dialoge in the film. I honestly don't think that the actors in the film are bad at all. But when you're reciting lines that are just akward and flat, you're going to look like shit. Anthony Hopkins couldn't make this shit work. Not only that, but it seems that everyon speaks in sentance fragments, or talks to themselves akwardly just to get some exposition out of the way. I've watched a lot of crap, and sat through dozens of forigen films that have been dubed in English, NONE of those come even close to crappy dialoge than this film.

One thing I'll give M Night, is making the races Diverse. Everyone was bitching and moaning about the casting being racist, but I think that changing the charecters to have diffrent ethnicities works far better than in teh show some times. Having 4 distinct people in this world is far better than a buch of Nondiscript asians running around, and thats not a knock againt asains. It just makes this make believe world alittle more believeable.

As for the cast, they're all fine. the two that stood out were Sokka and Irho. They came the closest to looking and feeling like their toon counter parts. Everyone else is decent, to the extent that a M Night movie can be.

The one thing learned from this is that. Dont give this man some one elses property anymore. Especially if hes' writing it. And if anything, the man can make a film, he can't be given full creative control nor shoule be let to write.. anything.. anymore.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion