M. Night Shyamalan's WHAT'S HAPPENIN'?

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

What do you rate Shamalama's latest, Not Happenin'?

10 - This is only here for aesthetic purposes
7%
No votes
4%
4%
11%
7%
4%
4%
No votes
11%
0 - Zilch - Zero - Nil - Nada
4%
Not gonna watch this
29%
Waiting for DVD
18%

Total votes : 28

Postby so sorry on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:27 pm

Dark Knight wrote:Latino Review posted a script review

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1446

Looks like it's called Green Effect instead of Green Planet. Sounds good though....

Really? THAT sounded good to you?
Diff'rent Strokes, I guess, becuase that was total ass to me.

trees revolts against humanity? ugh. ugh. UGH.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:32 pm

so sorry wrote:trees revolts against humanity? ugh. ugh. UGH.

Dinna the March of a the Ents, she teach us a nothing?!?!?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:47 pm

i don't know... it seems a bit derivative. while i was reading the review, i was thinking how it might be a lot cooler if all those people started killing themselves, but without ever telling us why. parts of it sound kind of like stephen king's cell, except they never progress past the suicidal stage. i was also wondering why all the craziness begins in the cities, if it's caused by nature wouldn't it start in more rural areas first?

ah well. i'd still keep an open mind. though i heard a rumour about a twist at the end, which if true, would be kinda dumb:

[spoiler]humanity defeats the murdering plants when the hero discovers that nature is allergic to ... *GASP* ... WATER!!![/spoiler]
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:54 pm

TheBaxter wrote:...i was also wondering why all the craziness begins in the cities, if it's caused by nature wouldn't it start in more rural areas first?

Maybe its just the metrosexual trees that have problems with humanity

TheBaxter wrote:[spoiler]humanity defeats the murdering plants when the hero discovers that nature is allergic to ... *GASP* ... WATER!!![/spoiler]

HA!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:56 pm

TheBaxter wrote:it seems a bit derivative.

Derivative?!? M. Knight? NOOOOOOO!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:19 pm

Nighty needs to take a break. Relax, sit in the sun and get a tan.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:56 am

Apparently Fox has picked up the spec script with the intention to produce, and the title has been changed to The Happening.

EDIT: Harry talks a little bit about the movie here.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MisterCynic on Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:15 am

this script is pretty bad. it will have a few fantastic moments surrounded by largely uninteresting characters, mostly bad dialogue, and shyamalan logicâ„¢.

the first act is going to be brilliant on screen, it's all atmosphere and terror and... it'll work great. halfway through the second act it falls apart, and soon after that many will lose interest.

this is not his big comeback. like one of the talkbackers said, i saw the title 'the happening' and thought it was a different script... excited for oh so brief a moment, then landed hard. shame.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:29 am

MisterCynic wrote:this script is pretty bad. it will have a few fantastic moments surrounded by largely uninteresting characters, mostly bad dialogue, and shyamalan logicâ„¢.

the first act is going to be brilliant on screen, it's all atmosphere and terror and... it'll work great. halfway through the second act it falls apart, and soon after that many will lose interest.

this is not his big comeback. like one of the talkbackers said, i saw the title 'the happening' and thought it was a different script... excited for oh so brief a moment, then landed hard. shame.

Is anyone really surprised by this?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MisterCynic on Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:40 am

a rose by any other name, sir...
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:49 pm

Man, he just needs to break out of the mold he's in and jump into some completely different genre and start making movies again. Not "gimmick" pictures. "A new romantic comedy from the director of The Sixth Sense, and Signs!"

Hmm... maybe not. He's really painted himself into a corner. His tiff with Disney didn't help him, either.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby minstrel on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:56 pm

Some have suggested that Night do someone else's material for once. He should direct someone else's scripts.

That would probably work.

But what might work as well is to have someone else do Night's script. I'm thinking Christopher Guest and his gang of giggle-inducing improv maniacs. They could do Night's new script in their mockumentary style - add a few stupid songs, too.

It would TOTALLY rock!

:)
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:57 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:Man, he just needs to break out of the mold he's in and jump into some completely different genre and start making movies again. Not "gimmick" pictures.

i figured that "Avatar" was his opportunity to do just that. too bad he seems driven to squeeze "The Happening" in first.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:59 pm

Peven wrote:
Cha-Ka Khan wrote:Man, he just needs to break out of the mold he's in and jump into some completely different genre and start making movies again. Not "gimmick" pictures.

i figured that "Avatar" was his opportunity to do just that. too bad he seems driven to squeeze "The Happening" in first.

He probably wants to do one of his own first - to prove that he's still got it...and hopefully get some success out of it...

Then he can move on to Avatar:The Last Airbud or whatever it's called and show that he can do someone else's ideas as well...

Either way - I'm a Night fan - so I'll always be interested in what he's doing next...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:08 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Peven wrote:

He probably wants to do one of his own first - to prove that he's still got it...and hopefully get some success out of it...

Then he can move on to Avatar:The Last Airbud or whatever it's called and show that he can do someone else's ideas as well...

Either way - I'm a Night fan - so I'll always be interested in what he's doing next...

see, i am a Night fan too. i guess i am worried that by pushing to get this latest project in, trying to prove something, before he makes "Avatar" that he is forcing things and won't do himself any favors by doing so, and maybe the best thing for him would be to put it on the back burner, let it marinate a little, and come back to it fresh after adapting "Avatar". i'll be crossing my fingers that he pulls it off though.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:09 pm

this is not the post you are looking for......
Last edited by Peven on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:15 pm

Peven wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
Peven wrote:

see, i am a Night fan too. i guess i am worried that by pushing to get this latest project in, trying to prove something, before he makes "Avatar" that he is forcing things and won't do himself any favors by doing so, and maybe the best thing for him would be to put it on the back burner, let it marinate a little, and come back to it fresh after adapting "Avatar". i'll be crossing my fingers in hope that he can be successful with what he has chosen though.

You must be a big fan...

So big - that you decided to post this twice...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:22 pm

Is Rerun in this?
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:34 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:Is Rerun in this?

BWAHAHAHAA!!

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:42 pm

OOPS! My bad. :(
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:06 pm

i don't mind the new title... as long as they use the Pixies song in the film somewhere.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby buster00 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:44 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i don't mind the new title... as long as they use the Pixies song in the film somewhere.

Or The Supremes song, from the 1967 movie of the same name.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:23 pm

havocSchultz wrote:to prove that he's still got it.

you mean this actually happened a first time? :shock:

dont bother answering that, unfortunately, i already know the truth.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:30 pm

Brocktune wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:to prove that he's still got it.

you mean this actually happened a first time? :shock:

dont bother answering that, unfortunately, i already know the truth.

Maybe I meant herpes...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:03 pm

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:06 pm

They should call it The Cancelled, and not spend money producing it...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Dark Knight on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:35 pm

Whalberg as a science teacher.....a little far fetched, no?
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:36 pm

The Happening! Its a far out groovy movie starring Peter Fonda as "Real Gone Daddy"

Real Gone Daddy: Heyyyyy caaaats, this is my new friend Gaaaaandhi....

Gandhi (M Night): Hello my friends! Nice day!

Hippie Chick #2: Like wowwwww.

Hippie Guy #5: Like far ouuut maaaaan. Lets get hiiiiigh....

FEATURING MUSIC BY THE TURTLES! HEAR THEM SINGING THEIR POP HITS: "The Happening"!, "Gandhi & Me"! and "Wha?"!
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:52 pm

Guess that means that Shyamalan has now worked with both Wahlberg brothers. Probably doesn't mean anything, I just felt like pointing it out... :oops:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Wed May 30, 2007 10:20 pm

Well, looks like Mark Wahlberg will once again have a romantic interest about 10+ years younger than he is...

Zooey Deschanel joins the cast of The Happening

Cynicism aside, I like Zooey Deschanel, so I guess this is good news.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 30, 2007 10:21 pm

Ribbons wrote:Well, looks like Mark Wahlberg will once again have a romantic interest about 10+ years younger than he is...

Oh my do I love Zooey Deschanel. She is probably one of my biggest celeb crushes. I even sat through that shitty Failure To Launch in order to see her.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby aldi on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:30 am

So the wheels have come off the 'new Hitchcock''s wagon. Guess we'll have to make do with the old Hitchcock.

I think we'll manage just fine.
aldi
GLIB

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:31 am

When did the wheels come off...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am

I think there was a pothole somewhere around The Village...

No, I don't know. I'm hoping that this is good.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:18 am

Ribbons wrote: I'm hoping that this is good.

Me Too...

And I didn't even hate Lady in the Water...I consider it his weakest effort...

But I actually enjoyed The Village for the most part...

And the fact that this is supposed to be his first R Rated film, has me quite interested...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:23 am

I'm a little skeptical about the quality of the script. Latino Review and Harry both stand by it, but it was originally passed up (as documented here) by pretty much every studio. This could be par for the course with most spec scripts that eventually get produced as far as I know, but you'd figure that someone with Night's profile wouldn't have difficulty getting a movie picked up in Hollywood, unless it had something to do with the quality of the story or the string of bad press he'd just received. I guess what I'm wondering is whether people avoided the script because it was M. Night Shyamalan's, or whether Fox decided to greenlight the script because it was.
Last edited by Ribbons on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:25 am

Ribbons wrote:I'm a little skeptical about the quality of the script. Latino Review and Grande Rojo both stand by it, but it was originally passed up (as documented here) by pretty much every studio. I guess I'm wondering whether people avoided the script because it was M. Night Shyamalan's, or whether Fox decided to greenlight the script because it was.

I think that's a good possibility - especially for the fact the he wasn't just trying to sell them the script alone - but with him attached to direct of course - and with the reputation he's been working so hard to build for himself these last few years, apparentely, I wouldn't be surprised if it's more of a lack of faith in him - then the material.

But you never know I guess...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:29 am

A lot of directors who are hard to work with are still actively sought-out by studios if they think they're a commodity. I guess the difference with Shyamalan is that he's very unreceptive to criticism and his movies are fairly expensive to produce. So that's a pretty unattractive set of conditions right there, especially if the film ends up tanking like Lady in the Water did. Although Lady in the Water could have very well been an expensive failure (for Disney) even if he did take Jacobson's advice, but it's also probably harder to get studios to commit to a big-budget script unless it's a franchise. Shyamalan's name used to be considered something of a franchise itself, and he's still probably the 2nd or 3rd most famous director in the United States, but apparently that doesn't equate to ticket sales if the movie is flawed.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:58 am

Ribbons wrote: the 2nd or 3rd most famous director in the United States

Really? so it's Spielberg, Lucas, M.Night? really? Surely Bay, Raimi, Jackson , or the Wachowskis or the like would push him down the fame ranks, and that's without even considering the likes of Woody Allen or Ridley Scott (the exception being if, as I presume, you were probably referring to 'Americans' in the US, but even then, frankly it's a little surprising).
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:13 am

tapehead wrote:

Really? so it's Spielberg, Lucas, M.Night? really? Surely Bay, Raimi, Jackson , or the Wachowskis or the like would push him down the fame ranks, and that's without even considering the likes of Woody Allen or Ridley Scott (the exception being if, as I presume, you were probably referring to 'Americans' in the US, but even then, frankly it's a little surprising).

Yeah, worldwide there are probably more recognizable American directors. But I find a lot of times if you ask people on the street to name directors they'll go "Spielberg... Tarantino... that Sixth Sense dude, Shamalahar or whatever..." So, go fig. Again I think it has to do with the fact that Shyamalan is the commodity and not the movies he makes. Same applies to Michael Bay (in some cases) and Woody Allen, but their names don't come up as often, probably because people either see or ignore their films for different reasons.
Last edited by Ribbons on Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:15 am

Fair enough - should have figured on QT, too I guess - It is surprising his profile is that high in the US.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:56 pm

Ribbons wrote:Well, looks like Mark Wahlberg will once again have a romantic interest about 10+ years younger than he is...

Or maybe she's one of his students?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Peven on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:47 pm

Ribbons wrote:
tapehead wrote:

Yeah, worldwide there are probably more recognizable American directors. But I find a lot of times if you ask people on the street to name directors they'll go "Spielberg... Tarantino... that Sixth Sense dude, Shamalahar or whatever..." So, go fig. Again I think it has to do with the fact that Shyamalan is the commodity and not the movies he makes. Same applies to Michael Bay (in some cases) and Woody Allen, but their names don't come up as often, probably because people either see or ignore their films for different reasons.

gotta disagree with you here, Ribbons. what about Lucas, Scorcese, Ron Howard, Sam Raimi, Clint Eastwood, Coppola, just to name a few off the top of my head. i think if you asked the "man on the street" it would be rare that M.Night would be in the top 5, let alone top 2 or 3.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:55 pm

That's true, I forgot about a couple of those guys. Still, Shyamalan's name comes up quite a bit when you ask people directors they know.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:22 pm

sorry, not trying to nitpick you, man. i think it is easy for those of us who are wrapped up in the cinematic world to forget how little awareness there is of a lot of the details among the "general public", and while a guy like M. Night is in the forefront of our consciousness of American directors working today i think his name is not nearly as recognizable as his movies, like "The 6th Sense", among joe public.

i know that there are many times i am brought up against the realization of just how immersed i am in all things movies when i am talking to a family member or teacher at a school where i am subbing and i bring up a movie/director/actor/etc. in a matter-of-fact way, as if EVERYBODY knows that, and receive a blank stare in return. then again, it could be worse, i could say "IPAMPLASH" when somebody in the teacher's lounge says something really funny.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:26 pm

I concur. Any time I bring up a popular movie at the office, and I try to talk about directors or writers, I get the reactions of fucking commoners who don't know shit about film. Recently I talked about Sam Raimi and some of his decisions on Spiderman and nobody even clued in that he directed the movie. All I got was, "fuckin' a, spiderman is wizard lol".

I think it takes some time for people to start recognizing many directors as a household name, but I think M. Night has an advantage because a) his name is weird and b) he has always had that gimmicky ending going for him.

So while I don't poll people on the street, I think that M. Night would probably be a more recognized dude than a few directors we take for granted. I think most directors are better known for their work than their name. And what I mean by that is stuff like this:

THEM: King Kong was directed by that guy who directed Lord of the Rings?

ME: Yeah.

THEM: No wonder it went on for so long...
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:41 pm

Everybody I mention Michael Bay too knows exactly who I'm talking about...

It makes me wonder if I'm hanging out with the wrong people...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:45 pm

now THAT'S comedy.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:00 am

My life is now complete...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Flumm on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:25 pm

Fievel wrote:M. Night's new movie poster.

Intriguing.

"We've sensed it. We've seen The Signs... Now it's Happening"

Apart from The Happening sounding to me like the best possible parody title for a M. Night Shyamalan film... I'll, if a little cautiously, second your intrigue, Fievel.

I'm supposing that's just some pithy advertising, but I wonder if there's going to to be some King'essque continuity introduced now...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion