Page 1 of 10

M. Night Shyamalan's WHAT'S HAPPENIN'?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm
by EdwardWilson2006
Hey folks EL MAYIMBE here with a scoop on M. Night Shyamalan's next project.

On Tuesday Jan 16, M. Night went out to the town with a new original script, or spec entitled GREEN PLANET.

Although I originally wanted to report this last week, I held out, waiting to see who would purchase the spec.

Unfortunately, it looks like it is a pass around town, or a Pasadena. Pasadena is a term in the script world used when a new spec hits the town and has no buyers or takers.

So far, Universal, Paramount, Warner Brothers and Sony have all passed. Ouch!

The last word I heard was that Fox was still having a look, but it's looking like it'll get a pass there too.

Not much is known about GREEN PLANET, but I will report back as soon as I get any information. Now, because it wasn't purchased in the first round, that doesn't neccessarily mean that GREEN PLANET won't find a home. Many scripts don't sell first round out but what makes this interesting is that this is M. Night Shyamalan. He dominated the spec script world with everything he put out. His scripts would only be on the market 24-48 hours! After THE SIXTH SENSE, M. Night could wipe his ass with some paper and it would sell.

I'm not surprised at the passes since the infamous events during the production of Lady in the Water. He started to believe his own hype and lost his mind there, proving to the world that Nina Jacobson was right after all.

Man, how the mighty have fallen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:34 pm
by Lord Voldemoo
here's a brief blurb on the subject...

http://www.tmz.com/bloggers/claude-brodesser-akner/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:38 pm
by Ribbons
I'm not a big fan of the Shyamalan-bashing. Don't get me wrong, Lady in the Water was a piece of crap, and Night acted like a douche to Jacobson, but I'm not gonna start dancing in the streets because he can't find work in Hollywood. Hopefully the experience with Lady has made him a little less ego-centric, but I'd like to see him get some of his filmmaking mojo back.

Also, I'm just commenting on the media's relationship with Night in general, not on Edward or Moo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:39 pm
by Dark Knight
I'm glad M. Night is being brought down to earth because after reading that MAN WHO HEARD VOICES book, I was like someone kick this guy down a couple of notches before his head expands too much and explodes

EDIT - I still like him and his flicks though

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:44 pm
by Yack Backer
Green Planet- aliens use fauna and plant life on Earth to take over the planet? Do they choose Al Gore as their "liason?" Wow, I like Shyamalan's work in general, but even that sounds mind-blowingly bad.


"Mommy, my salad ate me!" Yikes!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:51 pm
by tapehead
The Day of the Triffids

ET

I'm sure there's a story by either Ray Bradbury or Phillip K Dick with a similar premise

It doesn't sound anywhere near as flimsy as 'Lady in the Water' to me - I'd say it's the poor performance of that movie and the negative spin associated with Shyamalan that is to blame for this round of rejection.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:52 pm
by Dark Knight
Are we sure this is a real story? That sounds almost too crappy for M. Night

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:57 pm
by tapehead
The only thing that might seem fishy about it is M Night going for another alien/science fiction story so soon after 'Signs'.

Then again Spielberg did Close Encounters... and ET within a few films of each other.

And we know M Night and Steve 'share a secret'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:58 pm
by havocSchultz
Yack Backer wrote:
"Mommy, my salad ate me!" Yikes!




You can't make friends with salad...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:02 pm
by RogueScribner
havocSchultz wrote:
Yack Backer wrote:
"Mommy, my salad ate me!" Yikes!




You can't make friends with salad...


You're awesome. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:11 pm
by papalazeru
I was all ready to jump up on my table and film myself doing the 'truffle shuffle' just for Ribbons on this one.

Don't get me wrong, I love Shamalamaramadana ding dongs early stuff but he abuses his powers too early.

I really wanted to dance for ribbons but, then I read the link.

TMZ states that Soul catcher Speilberg has "Already made that movie"....

Now I don't remember him making "day of the Triffids"? I remember a really GOOD movie called "day of the triffids" and I remember a really GOOD movie of "War of the worlds" but I don't remember Bergs name being attatched ( OH and before you question - check out the original versions please (film versions not book version but I'm not going into that)).

It sounds to me like a remake of "Day of the Triffids" which was, as I remmember, a really good idea. It doesn't sound like "War of the worlds" (Speilberg/Cruise) which was well...In my opinion....A really shit film!

Both original films dealt with forms of panic in totally different ways, some rather isolated and some in mass hysteria. Admittedly, if you broke things down they would be a little similar but....Can you tell me that Armaggeddon(outta the cinema) wasn't like Deep impact?

Its horses for courses really. When Lord of the Rings came out, there was a spurt of Fantasy Adventure films that emerged a few years later.

I'm suprised Hollywood hasn't jumped at this.

So....in retrospect, I jump on the table, lift my shirt to do the "truffle shuffle" at Shamalamaramadana ding dong but nothing comes out because I ponder on what might have been from the Egocentric werido.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:13 pm
by Ribbons
You can dance for me anyway papa...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:15 pm
by papalazeru
Ribbons wrote:You can dance for me anyway papa...


You haven't said "Do it" yet...like mouth did in Goonies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:33 am
by tapehead
papalazeru wrote:TMZ states that Soul catcher Speilberg has "Already made that movie"....



Paps, thery're talking about ET - Don't you remember the ET's all out taking samples and tending to plants at the start, and the little potted flower that died, and then came to life when he did - ET was a Botanist!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:58 am
by Doc Holliday
I'm with Ribbons on this - I think it would be shame if M. Night was now not welcome in Hollywood all because of one film.

A little humility wouldn't go amiss of course - and hopefully that will be the lasting effect of what's happening now.

In a roundabout way, this could be the best thing for M. Night - before it was always a case of "There better be a really fucking cunning twist at the end of this movie" every time he brought a new one out - it was becoming a bit of a curse for him I think.

Now, at least, if he wants some separation from that contrivance, well, he's got it.

Although Hollywood is richer these days than it has been of late in terms of individual filmmakers, it would still be a loss if his career was over.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:50 am
by Nordling
Shyamalan needs to be forced to adapt something. That AVATAR cartoon sounded okay.

I never saw LADY IN THE WATER, and I'm a Giamatti fan. But THE VILLAGE turned me hardcore off all things M. Night, so I'll wait for input from others before I see another one of his movies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:55 am
by WinslowLeach
EVERYBODY SAY: AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:05 am
by Doc Holliday
You just don't care anymore, do you Winslow?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:12 am
by WinslowLeach
LOL! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:14 am
by Boll_KG
M. Knight has made strange movies. Lady in the Water is not an exception. I think it was ok but studios can be stupid people when it comes to movies. I bet M.Knight did not have any backing before going to the studios. If you have money from private investors before going to a studio you will get it made.

Most All Filmmakers make Bad Film

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:18 am
by tstreet
Most all filmmakers make a bad or not-so-good movie, it is just bound to happen, no ifs ands or buts about it.

I hope you are right in that the experience with LADY IN THE WATER, will humble him and he will stop believing the hype, because at the end of the day he has made some quality films, and I hope to see him do it again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:26 am
by Doc Holliday
Yup - I get teh feeling its not so much that LADY IN THE WATER bombed - its more to do with the studio noses he put out of joint along the way.

Maybe he'll get the script for ISHTAR 2 and be invited back into the fold as director-only.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:35 am
by Ribbons
Doc Holliday wrote:Yup - I get teh feeling its not so much that LADY IN THE WATER bombed - its more to do with the studio noses he put out of joint along the way.


Yeah, and not just at Disney - it's probably worth noting that Warner Bros. was not one of the studios that he allegedly sent this spec script to.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:49 pm
by Doc Holliday
I hadn't heard of the troubles with WB - can you say more, or link?

Leaving WB off the list may just mean he didn't realise he couldn't pick and choose these days (I mean, would they be on your list?) :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:52 pm
by so sorry
WinslowLeach wrote:EVERYBODY SAY: AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!


Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:56 pm
by Dark Knight
Latino Review posted a script review

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1446

Looks like it's called Green Effect instead of Green Planet. Sounds good though....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:59 pm
by WinslowLeach
GREAT NEWS!!!

N Might Shamalong has signed on to play Haji in the big screen adaptation of JOHNNY QUEST!!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

Woot! Woot!

Do the Zoner!! SMOOOOTH!.....FUNKY!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:12 pm
by Vegeta
Where's the little black kid saying "That's Racist!" gif when you need it? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:13 pm
by WinslowLeach
LOL! Well, hes Indian isnt he?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:52 pm
by Nachokoolaid
I love M's movies, and I can't wait for the next one. Lady was pretty bad, and I hate the sequencing of The Village, but there are positives about both films. I think 6th Sense, Signs, and especially Unbreakable are modern classics.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:58 pm
by minstrel
I like Sixth Sense and Signs. Unbreakable was pretty good, too. I haven't seen The Village or Lady In The Water. I did read that book (The Man Who Heard Voices) and became convinced that Shyamalan needs to try directing someone else's material. I hope he does well with this Avatar thing, but I'm not sure it's the right thing for him to do. He'll want to set it in Philadelphia, for example, and I don't think that'll work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:05 pm
by WinslowLeach
He can do whatever he wants, hes the new Rod Serling!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:05 pm
by Orcus
Come Mr Shyamalan tally me bananas. Daylight come and me want to go home

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:11 pm
by WinslowLeach
"Shamma-lamma, Shamma-lamma Ding Dong, heyy heyyy. you put the oooh mow mow, oh oh oh oh, back into my smile child, that is why, that is why, you are my sugar diddy dip, YEAHHHH."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:21 pm
by Orcus
Day-o

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:37 pm
by Fievel
At least Tarantino stopped putting himself in his own movies.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:39 pm
by WinslowLeach
What does Tarantino have to do with this discussion?

BTW, hes playing a character in Death Proof....SO SUCK ON THAT!!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:45 pm
by MasterWhedon
From that script review, I kinda like it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:46 pm
by Fievel
:cry:

Well, at least we had the epic that was Kill Bill. His Reservoir Dogs role was tolerable, a nice dynamic against the rest of the crew. The Pulp Fiction role was annoying, period.
But all of M. Night's roles seem to say "Hey, look at me!! I'm on TV!!!".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:26 pm
by Nachokoolaid
Fievel wrote::cry:

Well, at least we had the epic that was Kill Bill. His Reservoir Dogs role was tolerable, a nice dynamic against the rest of the crew. The Pulp Fiction role was annoying, period.
But all of M. Night's roles seem to say "Hey, look at me!! I'm on TV!!!".


I thought his role in Unbreakable was pretty good. I wonder if it's my favorite becasue he has the smallest role in that one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:47 pm
by Dark Knight
I think Unbreakable is his best too except for the fact that the whole movie seems like a build up to an even bigger movie.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:08 pm
by Nachokoolaid
Dark Knight wrote:I think Unbreakable is his best too except for the fact that the whole movie seems like a build up to an even bigger movie.


Agreed. And where is that movie? That's what M needs to be working on, an Unbreakable sequel where we actually get to see Willis whipping all kinds of ass.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:59 pm
by TheBaxter
it sounds like AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH II: THE REVENGE

this time it's personal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:29 pm
by Dark Knight
AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

Starring Sam Raimi as mother nature!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:32 pm
by Adam Balm
Nachokoolaid wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:I think Unbreakable is his best too except for the fact that the whole movie seems like a build up to an even bigger movie.


Agreed. And where is that movie? That's what M needs to be working on, an Unbreakable sequel where we actually get to see Willis whipping all kinds of ass.


I dunno. These days he'd probably make it a meta-narrative where David Dunn just finds out he's a John-the-baptist, meant to prepare the way for the ultimate Unbreakable hero/ass-kicker....M. Night Shyamalan!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:38 pm
by instant_karma
I wonder if the studios reluctance to pick up his new script is to do with the fact that he went out of his way to provoke critics so much with Lady in the Water that they expect his next film to get a critical mauling and bad box office, regardless of its actual merits.

I also would like to see an Unbreakable sequel, considering the first one just plays like on big long first act.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:40 pm
by TheBaxter
instant_karma wrote:I wonder if the studios reluctance to pick up his new script is to do with the fact that he went out of his way to provoke critics so much with Lady in the Water that they expect his next film to get a critical mauling and bad box office, regardless of its actual merits.


that might have some merit, if critic's opinions actually had any effect on box office, which they don't.

exhibit 1: norbit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:12 am
by buster00
MasterWhedon wrote:From that script review, I kinda like it.


PLANT!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:12 am
by The Vicar
TheBaxter wrote:
instant_karma wrote:I wonder if the studios reluctance to pick up his new script is to do with the fact that he went out of his way to provoke critics so much with Lady in the Water that they expect his next film to get a critical mauling and bad box office, regardless of its actual merits.


that might have some merit, if critic's opinions actually had any effect on box office, which they don't.

exhibit 1: norbit


Harsh.

Nothing like a mondo dose of reality, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:33 am
by minstrel
I read that script review and some of it sounded too comical to be real. How are we supposed to act when we see a musician kill himself by ramming his violin bow down his throat? I'd probably be chuckling. I can imagine the timpanist beating himself over the head with his mallets and Kenny G ramming his damn soprano sax up his own ass.

Maybe I'd even pay to see that ...