JUSTICE LEAGUE

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:41 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I too would rather see solo films before the big team up. There is just no way they are going to do characters like Flash, Green Lanter or Wonder Woman ANY--uh--justice in some over crowded movie about OMACs of all things.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I agree. I'm afraid that this type of movie (and same with The Avengers) is a lot more fun in concept than in practice. It's fun to argue about team lineups and the like, theorize about how the characters might work with each other...but getting it on screen in a cogent manner is going to be really difficult and it could easily degenerate into a bloated mess, once you get past the initial cool factor of seeing Superman and Batman on the same screen...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:42 pm

Dumbdiddilyumb. Audiences could be tired of Batman and Superman if a JLA film goes badly. I mean it's just such a silly risk for the studio to take. Overloading a film with characters rich enough to have their very own franchises is inevitably going to dilute all of them. Yuck.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby minstrel on Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:51 pm

I think this movie is not a good idea. It's too crowded with heroes and nobody is going to get enough screen time. Especially if both Superman and Batman are in it - they'll take up so much of the script that the others will just look like extras.

I think they should start with giving Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, etc. their own films. If they work, if there's an audience, then they should consider doing ensemble films or crossover films.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:54 pm

Here's a question: do you guys think the main reason that Warner Bros. is so gung-ho about pushing a Justice League movie into production because of what Marvel is currently doing with the Avengers (setting up the roster in individual films and then presumably trying to bring them together)? The timing of this just seems conspicuous to me, but I guess it could just be a coincidence.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:01 pm

Ribbons wrote:Here's a question: do you guys think the main reason that Warner Bros. is so gung-ho about pushing a Justice League movie into production because of what Marvel is currently doing with the Avengers (setting up the roster in individual films and then presumably trying to bring them together)? The timing of this just seems conspicuous to me, but I guess it could just be a coincidence.

I think it is a combo of that and the disappointment with Superman. The less than stellar BO of Supes Returns has really made them gun shy about introducing more superhero movies. This allows them a chance to introduce a whole bunch of characters in one film...as opposed to making 3 or 4 films.

1 film with a $250+ price tag compared to 4 films with $150+ price tag each. It is economically smarter to introduce characters to the public this way I think.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:06 pm

Ribbons wrote:Here's a question: do you guys think the main reason that Warner Bros. is so gung-ho about pushing a Justice League movie into production because of what Marvel is currently doing with the Avengers (setting up the roster in individual films and then presumably trying to bring them together)? The timing of this just seems conspicuous to me, but I guess it could just be a coincidence.

I hope not!! It is quite a likely scenario though. But pre-empting Marvel when they haven't even established most of the characters is a really bad idea in my eyes. I bet they are even thinking about making spin off origin movies for the other heroes and damnit audiences are really sick of origin moves. It shows just how clever Marvel have been. I mean I remember when Marvel Studios was formed and it sounded like it was going to be making cheap ass b-movies, yet here we are with Iron Man looking fucking awesome and The Hulk shaping up to be if not as wild and original as the first then at least action packed and well acted. Warner's is probably hoping for something similar but they seem to be rushing it and we know what happens when you rush superhero movies to beat another studio [cough]fuckyouratnerrothmanfox[/cough]
TonyWilson

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:20 pm

I think everything trying to get ready before the strike is what is pushing these ideas ahead too quickly. This might just be a blessing though because I don't think they are going to be able to get this production together in time.

I think the smartest business move for DC and Marvel would be to wait until Watchmen comes and goes and then try to decide if JLA or Avengers looks feasible. I mean the only other super hero team film to draw upon as a business model is LXG, right?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:31 pm

I think it more has to do with the success of Transformers. I am sure they are sitting back thinking, "shit we can do the same thing with Superfriends!"
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:53 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:

I think it more has to do with the success of Transformers. I am sure they are sitting back thinking, "shit we can do the same thing with Superfriends!"

oh jebus.

I hope you're not right but you probably are.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Peven on Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:09 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:

oh jebus.

I hope you're not right but you probably are.

flames on Superman's cape?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby unikrunk on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:31 am

"The Real World: Watchtower; when heroes stop being nice, and start being real"

Aquaman -“Who hath been using my loofah sponge? Whom? I only have one hand people, and this thrice damned hook; I use the loofah for a specific reason, and Batman, if you want one, go get your fucking own!â€
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:39 am

[quote="unikrunk"]"The Real World: Watchtower; when heroes stop being nice, and start being real"

Aquaman -“Who hath been using my loofah sponge? Whom? I only have one hand people, and this thrice damned hook; I use the loofah for a specific reason, and Batman, if you want one, go get your fucking own!â€
TonyWilson

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:55 am

hahaha... cute. But your unnecessary attack of Aquaman was unwarranted.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Rated-X on Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:09 pm

What do you think are the chances JLA has a little tie-in to a SR sequel?

I don't know what to make out off this.
Rated-X
GLIB

Postby Conroy420 on Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:14 pm

I don't know where this information is coming from.

Perhapes this posters ass would be a good guess?

First of all, if 'Wonder Women' is set to be released in 2009, wouldn't they want some talent in place? Maybe a director or writer? Considering they have neither of these, I don't think the film is happening that soon.

Also, the rush with any of these pictures (genre or otherwise) obviously to do with the strike. My question is, how long do they expect the writers guild to hold out for?

A JL film is going to be very expensive. If they want to use the film as a spring board for spin offs, than they are going to have to cast the roles with some eyes on the future. So the cast will be young, that's my guess.

To be honest, I'd keep the roster rather small. Introduce maybe three next characters (if they include Superman and Batman) and perhapes include one characters origin with the film.

My big question is: How with this affect the Batman franchise? Obviously WB/Nolan hasa three picture arch planned, with a third installment in 2010 or 2011. So will this third film merge with a JL picture in some way?

This zoner hopes not. Let's get one franchise at least close to right when it comes to these properties.
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby The Todd on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:25 pm

Rated-X wrote:What do you think are the chances JLA has a little tie-in to a SR sequel?

I don't know what to make out off this.

What are the chances of you posting something without links to superherohype?
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:04 am

What are the odds that Rated-X and SHH's poster Villain are the same person?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:01 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I too would rather see solo films before the big team up. There is just no way they are going to do characters like Flash, Green Lanter or Wonder Woman ANY--uh--justice in some over crowded movie about OMACs of all things.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Couldn't agree more.

HAL JORDAN not JOHN STEWART btw.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:09 am

burlivesleftnut wrote: But your unnecessary attack of Aquaman was unwarranted.

Ya!

It's not like he's fuckin' Namor...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby instant_karma on Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:22 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Couldn't agree more.

I'd rather they went with Hal as well, but let's face it, John Stewart gives them a chance to include a black actor in the cast and try to reach as broad an demographic as possible.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:23 am

instant_karma wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Couldn't agree more.

I'd rather they went with Hal as well, but let's face it, John Stewart gives them a chance to include a black actor in the cast and try to reach as broad an demographic as possible.

Aww Hell NAW!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby instant_karma on Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:24 am

havocSchultz wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote: But your unnecessary attack of Aquaman was unwarranted.

Ya!

It's not like he's fuckin' Namor...

Waittaminute! Aquaman was supposed to be fucking Namor? How did I miss that crossover?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby buster00 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:40 am

DennisMM wrote:What are the odds that Rated-X and SHH's poster Villain are the same person?

What are the odds that a JLA film will be any good at all?

Hint: 0 out of 0.

Especially with John Stewart.

Especially because it will suck twenty different kinds of cock.

I could go on, but I won't.

The whole thing smells like, "Let's sell a few action figures."
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:07 pm

From IESB's 3:10 to Yuma junket interview with Christian Bale:

Q: Are you doing Justice League after TDK?

Bale: No

IESB: Have you been approached for Justice League?

Bale: No

IESB: How would you feel about the studio recasting Batman for Justice League?

Bale: It’d be better if it doesn’t tread on the toes of what we’re doing, though I feel that it would be better if it comes out after Batman 3.

From IGN's interview with Ryan Reynolds:

IGN: Way back in the day you were supposed to do the Flash movie with Goyer. Apparently Warner Bros. is going to do a Justice League film, the Flash is in it, and it's meant to be like a launching pad. Are you still interested in playing that character...?

Reynolds: Um yeah, you know, I don't really know how much I'm supposed to say about any of that stuff. It's a... stuff comes up, you know, and we'll see, I don't know. It's a great character and I feel like I've always really related to certainly the Flash in both incarnations - Barry and Wally - so um, we'll see. If they make it, it happens, it'll be a very expensive movie but it'd be something I'd love to be a part of.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:12 pm

Things are starting to make sense:

JLA Film to be ENTIRELY CGI/Motion Capture?

That would make the most sense, IMO.

One of the most talked-about topics online these days is Warner Bros.' Justice League of America adaptation, which Happy Feet director George Miller is reportedly attached to.

Reports have said that the superhero team-up movie would include Batman, Superman, The Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and the Green Lantern, that casting would start next week, and that Christian Bale (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight) and Brandon Routh (Superman, Superman: Man of Steel) would not be involved.

It didn't quite make sense how Warner Bros. would be able to pull it off, but perhaps now we know how they can. IESB.net says that the movie might be a CGI/performance capture project, much like The Polar Express, and the upcoming Beowulf and Avatar. Here's a bit of the scoop the site received:

However, and take this with a grain of salt, Imageworks are apparently in the running to provide services on the JLA film, competing with R&H and possibly WETA (the latter being unconfirmed).

But the real interesting thing about this is that the contract is for an all-cgi "photo-real" motion capture movie, much like the upcoming Beowulf.

If the reports hold up, expect Justice League of America to go into production early 2008.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:22 pm

buster00 wrote:What are the odds that a JLA film will be any good at all?

Hint: 0 out of 0.

Especially with John Stewart.

Especially because it will suck twenty different kinds of cock.

I could go on, but I won't.

The whole thing smells like, "Let's sell a few action figures."

There is wisdom in these words.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:28 pm

barf on the idea of "performance capture" but not on the idea of fully CG.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:41 pm

But in doing that, would they be putting up a potential roadblock to the spin-offs they so hoped this movie would provide them with? I mean this would be animation, and it's one hell of a risk bringing a whole bunch of characters to the screen in an animated film with the intention of spinning them off into live action solo films. That's never been done before. And it's even riskier considering the performance of previous photo-realistic CG films. (Although Beowulf and Avatar might turn that around, who knows...) But it's one hell of a gamble for them to put all their superhero eggs into an untried basket like that.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Conroy420 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:44 pm

Huge gamble!

I'm excited about the idea of that film. It would make sense with the director they are going after.

But how can they use this as a spring board for spin offs if it's animated? It's really strange.

If this happens, than is there a chance we could get RR to do 'The Dark Knight Returns' somewhere down the road using his green screen style?
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:02 pm

Adam Balm wrote:But in doing that, would they be putting up a potential roadblock to the spin-offs they so hoped this movie would provide them with? I mean this would be animation, and it's one hell of a risk bringing a whole bunch of characters to the screen in an animated film with the intention of spinning them off into live action solo films. That's never been done before. And it's even riskier considering the performance of previous photo-realistic CG films. (Although Beowulf and Avatar might turn that around, who knows...) But it's one hell of a gamble for them to put all their superhero eggs into an untried basket like that.

it's a totally different film if they do it CG.

Hello Captain Obvious. Sorry. I mean the SCOPE is completely different. Whether good or bad, if they do it live action it's an event movie. If they do it CG/performance capture/whatever it becomes a niche film aimed solely at a core audience. It would probably LOOK really cool, but I don't see it getting anywhere close to the broad-based audience that a live-action film would receive.

I'm not sure what the business goal here is??
Lord Voldemoo

Postby buster00 on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:33 pm

TMNT did relatively well earlier this year, and the JLA are certainly much more recognizable.

I think the CGI route is the way to go...depending on how well Beowulf and Avatar turn out.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:48 pm

Beowulf will bomb, and I would get behind a CGI JL film if it wasn't performance capture.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:55 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote: I would get behind a CGI JL film if it wasn't performance capture.

Make note of this burl. We agree on something.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:45 pm

Get ready for A LOT of news.

JLA will NOT be entirely CGI/MoCAP! It will be a traditional movie that heavily utilized MoCAP for the OMACS and underwater sequences and such.

The BIG news:

Routh and Bale are definitely out...and Tom Welling has been contacted to play Superman. SMALLVILLE fans rejoice.

How does this effect Nolan's BATMAN and Singer's SUPERMAN? Well apparently it won't. Those films each exist in their different universe and JLA will be in its own universe as well.

Source
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:12 pm

:shock:

Jeebuzz...

I guess I suppose Welling and a Bale-less Batman makes sense, budget-wise. They're not going to be able to pay for seven a-list stars and have the budget they'd need.

Still, this is feeling incredibly rushed, even with the strike closing in. I'm not sure this is the kind of project you'd want to ultra-ultra fast track when so many franchises are all riding on it.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:17 am

This project keeps getting weirder and weirder. It's just too bad Whedon wasn't working on Wonder Woman around strike time, because if the people in charge at WB are going to greenlight any half-baked script that they hope makes a lot of money, I'd rather see that one see the light of day than this. Having two different Batmen and Supermen doesn't sound like a very good idea if you ask me. I know that thinking of one as "real" and the other as "fake" is the wrong idea (or at least WB will tell you so), but I feel like we're being asked to pay to watch a big-budget fan-fic. But I can't think of something like this ever having been tried before to begin with, so I can't say with confidence how everybody else is going to react to it. Morbid curiosity, perhaps?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:13 am

I don't know Ribbons. Smallville is/was running at the same time as Returns with Welling and Routh both playing Supes. Granted one is on tv but I don't think audiences are so stupid that they can't see two films featuring Superman just with different actors.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:35 am

Ribbons wrote:I know that thinking of one as "real" and the other as "fake" is the wrong idea (or at least WB will tell you so), but I feel like we're being asked to pay to watch a big-budget fan-fic.

THANK YOU! I've been trying to figure out why I have such a bad feeling about this thing and I think you've just hit the nail on the head.

(Although now I can't shake the image of the Justice League seeking the aid of a plucky husband and wife screenwriting duo who will, of course, be the key to defeating the bad guys and saving the world in the nick of time!
And then at the very end Wonder Woman will propose a threesome with the husband and wife... at least until Michele edits that part out.)
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:54 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:I don't know Ribbons. Smallville is/was running at the same time as Returns with Welling and Routh both playing Supes. Granted one is on tv but I don't think audiences are so stupid that they can't see two films featuring Superman just with different actors.

Tehnically, Smallville isn't about Supes, its about Clark Kent as a muscular, vaguely emo young adult. Its easier to differentiate between that the SR than it will be between SR and a film showing a different Superman at a similar point in his life.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:04 pm

But SR was about a vaguely emo young adult too... he just wasn't quite as muscular.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:07 pm

Yeah I was gonna say that too.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:18 am

Some weirdness just happened.

The main page had posted some pretty controversial news regarding this film, but the article was taken down!!

What it said was that Brandon Routh and Christian Bale would not play the roles of Superman and Batman due to some sort of scheduling conflicts. The two actors are tied up with sequels, and the WB wanted to move the Justice League film along without waiting.

EDIT: It looks like Variety might've been the ones to break the story: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117972369.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:40 am

I'd hoped WB might not rush into things too much and carry on in their so far seemingly more quality driven approach.

Imagine establishing a Green Lantern, Wonder Woman etc etc in films of their own first, then going for a ensemble piece. If they have to wait in order to get Bale and Routh, they should wait.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:59 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Some weirdness just happened.

The main page had posted some pretty controversial news regarding this film, but the article was taken down!!

What it said was that Brandon Routh and Christian Bale would not play the roles of Superman and Batman due to some sort of scheduling conflicts. The two actors are tied up with sequels, and the WB wanted to move the Justice League film along without waiting.

EDIT: It looks like Variety might've been the ones to break the story: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117972369.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

:P

Leckomaniac on Aug 24th wrote:Routh and Bale are definitely out...

How does this effect Nolan's BATMAN and Singer's SUPERMAN? Well apparently it won't. Those films each exist in their different universe and JLA will be in its own universe as well.

Source
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:16 pm

Sorry Lecko, truth be told I'm not really following the news on this movie, it's rather that AICN pulled the story which made me post something in this thread, in case it was important to anyone. :oops:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:30 am

I just saw on Collider today that they've locked down George Miller to direct!

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news/article.asp/aid/5535/tcid/1

This whole project still stikes me as iffy, but this is an encouraging choice...
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:02 am

Yeah this is weird, but Miller is aces. I think I have enjoyed everything he's done.

Hope the rumors about Tom Welling are true.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Ribbons on Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:16 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Yeah this is weird, but Miller is aces.

Agreed. I still think this smells of some sort of desperation, but if they're (WB) determined to get this movie made, at least it's in the hands of a good director.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:23 am

Variety is reporting that Jessica Biel is in talks to play Wonder Woman in the JLA film.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:53 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Variety is reporting that Jessica Biel is in talks to play Wonder Woman in the JLA film.

That's it, George Miller, back to Winnepeg.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion