JUSTICE LEAGUE

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:50 pm

instant_karma wrote:I thought Lost In Space was Akiva Goldsman's little joke.

What was Batman and Robin then?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby instant_karma on Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:02 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
instant_karma wrote:I thought Lost In Space was Akiva Goldsman's little joke.

What was Batman and Robin then?

That was Akiva Goldsman's rape of our childhoods. Which is probably why Kirk likes it most...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:36 pm

Some snippets connected to the film:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35200

...basically that Justice League will stand alone from the recent incarnations of Batman and Superman.

Which is a shame. I think I'd prefer a film without them, rather than recasted.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 pm

Compared to the Marvel 'Avengers' news, this is pretty weak. Then again, I'm not sure if a film without Batman/Superman would work. Not without solo films for the remaining characters, none of which have an automatic audience rapport (save for Wonder Woman, natch.)
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Based on the quality of the Marvel film output in the past three years, I can't say I'm that enthusiastic about an Avengers film either.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:27 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Some snippets connected to the film:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35200

...basically that Justice League will stand alone from the recent incarnations of Batman and Superman.

Which is a shame. I think I'd prefer a film without them, rather than recasted.

I think this approach is waaaaaay better. Much like the Animated DCU films wherein each is unrelated to the others.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:26 pm

Our buddy Robert over at IESB is reporting that Warner Brothers has delayed the start date of the upcoming mega-hero epic Justice League of America. In fact, he says the project might even get shut down.

source : movieweb

Another problem we are hearing is that some upper level execs including the new big boss Jeff Robinov is not too sure if the timing is right for JLA. Most of it has to do with the Nolan camp not being happy with the decision of moving forward with the JLA film considering the positive buzz surrounding The Dark Knight.

source : iesb
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:21 pm

Justice League Officially Put On Hold :D
Word came down today that the film is officially on hold. This will be until, at the very least, after the Writers strike has been resolved. Right now it's looking like at least until June.

source : iesb
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:31 pm

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best news I have heard in a while.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:56 am

Moviehole is reporting "that a 2010 start date, rather than mid-2008, is now being eyed. Apparently much of the cast have gone and booked themselves up this year, but more importantly, the studio has realised the film isn't ready to roll."

source : cbr
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:38 pm

Damn! Can't this project just die already?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:46 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Damn! Can't this project just die already?

THIS:

Seriously, take it out behind the chemical shed. Two in the chest and one in the head.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Archive on Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:34 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Based on the quality of the Marvel film output in the past three years, I can't say I'm that enthusiastic about an Avengers film either.

Sure, but those were licensed properties, handled by creative teams indendent of Marvel. With Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk, we'll see what Marvel can do as a studio, and I have to admit, Iron Man is one of only two blockbusters I'm really salivating for - the other being Hellboy. I'm not even a huge fan of Favreau - none of the films he's directed has hit me, and I thought Zathura suffered from completely passive main characters. It was gorgeous, but I was bored to tears. Adventure isn't adventure unless the hero actually does some adventuring. Hiding from robots and rolling the dice doesn't count.

That said, everything - absolutely everything - I've seen about Iron Man leads me to believe it is exactly the kind of superhero movie I've always wanted to see. Charlie Chaplin and Howard Hughes are my personal heroes, and dude, Robert Downey Jr. seems to be channeling both of them at the same time here! I love the images - stills and clips both, and even the tank thing got me excited (the sound editing in that clip is awesome. For me it sells the image 100%, and I never once thought Playstation) - and the cast is great and well placed. From what I've seen, the script is well structured, witty, and full of high stakes and grand modern adventure.

I'm so there. My expectation of Iron Man has grown to the level of my expectations with regards to Spiderman, and to be honest, I doubt Hulk will match it. I'll go, though. If that's what we get, what's not to like about an Avengers movie?
Archive
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby junesquad on Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:40 pm

TheButcher wrote:
Moviehole is reporting "that a 2010 start date, rather than mid-2008, is now being eyed. Apparently much of the cast have gone and booked themselves up this year, but more importantly, the studio has realised the film isn't ready to roll."

source : cbr

I guess I would rather wait two years and have a decent film that get it now and have a half-ass one, but the news still doesn't altogether thrill me.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:03 pm

Take it back to formula!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:22 am

Can you imagine the Justice League of America movie without Superman and Batman? Well, you may have to if the latest report from Blockbuster is accurate. They claim to have been given a detailed synopsis for George Miller's long-delayed superhero epic, and it's full of surprises.

Their source wrote to them:

Feb 28, Sydney, Australia: The film is about Green Lantern, Green Arrow and others of the Justice League of America, an organisation made up of the world's greatest superheroes. They must deal with the expulsion of Batman and the death of Superman at the hands of the monstrous Doomsday".

This is a far cry from the script that supposedly focused on the death of Barry Allen (the original Flash) and Maxwell Lord commanding a horde of OMAC cyborgs.

source : movie web
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:48 am

TheButcher wrote:
Can you imagine the Justice League of America movie without Superman and Batman? Well, you may have to if the latest report from Blockbuster is accurate. They claim to have been given a detailed synopsis for George Miller's long-delayed superhero epic, and it's full of surprises.

Feb 28, Sydney, Australia: The film is about Green Lantern, Green Arrow and others of the Justice League of America, an organisation made up of the world's greatest superheroes. They must deal with the expulsion of Batman and the death of Superman at the hands of the monstrous Doomsday".

This is a far cry from the script that supposedly focused on the death of Barry Allen (the original Flash) and Maxwell Lord commanding a horde of OMAC cyborgs.

Sort of the graphic novel JLA Year One, before they recruited Superman and Batman.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby zillabeast on Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:35 am

My dream JLA project:

A feature film version of KINGDOM COME, directed by Clint Eastwood.
zillabeast
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Peven on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:02 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:
TheButcher wrote:

Sort of the graphic novel JLA Year One, before they recruited Superman and Batman.

the movie opens on Superman's funeral. during the funeral we overhear that Batman is not at the proceedings due to being kicked out. one of the big issues of the film is how the remaining members go on, confidence issues and such, without the two strong leaders. who wants to take bets right now.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:26 am

TheButcher wrote:

Sounds alright to me.

It's a fairly simple idea - a bunch of superheroes get together to fight a big bad. There's no need to complicate things with the OMAC stuff and trying to have 7 origin stories in one film.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:49 am

Super Hero Hype, slash film, iesb and other sites are reporting that the JLA movie is getting the fast track!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:01 am

I think it's a really good idea to give Batman and Superman more of a minor role in Justice League so they can spotlight some other characters besides them. I'd love to see them give Wonder Woman a pretty big role, if anything, to set up her solo movie in the near future.

I still want to have hope for this movie and maybe Miller might be able to pull it off.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:10 am

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:I think it's a really good idea to give Batman and Superman more of a minor role in Justice League so they can spotlight some other characters besides them. I'd love to see them give Wonder Woman a pretty big role, if anything, to set up her solo movie in the near future.

I still want to have hope for this movie and maybe Miller might be able to pull it off.

he will probably slip some anti-religious sub-text in there somewhere though....... :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:18 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:27 pm

Huh. That's an interesting typo. Armie's dad is named Michael. His grandfather is the famous Armand Hammer.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:41 pm

Great-grandfather apparently.

I'm starting to wonder if this going to be a Smallville-esque Justice League..
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:46 pm

Ok I am far from a fan of this idea but if that rumored casting of the Toe Cutter as Martian Manhunter is true than this project has improved for me.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 pm

The variety article doesn't mention Superman.
I guess Superman is dead :(

*edit*
Wait a minute.
JLA and the Canada Debacle Plus Major Script Changes
Regarding the status of the rewrites, we've been told the biggest problem with the current script was the lackluster third act. Apparently, the story has already been 100% reworked.

Also, the only department currently working on the film is the "art department" and apparently they are responsible for the major beats of the newly rewritten third act.

A few more new tidbits on the production…we are told some of the designs originally being considered for the look of the film have been described as "ultra-stylized".

And regarding the rumors that Batman and Superman had been removed from the story, "total bullshit" is the exact response we received this afternoon from Australia.

source : Written by Robert Sanchez for IESB
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:51 am

NY Times: A Film’s Superheroes Face Threat of Strike
[quote]But nothing has been easy in a season when the usual difficulties of a globe-spanning, effects-laden production with a budget that could approach $200 million have become tangled in uncertainty over pending negotiations with the Screen Actors Guild. Around the industry, executives are wrestling with versions of the same dilemma: Should they go forward with movie projects that might be disrupted by an actors’ strike if shooting does not end by the guild’s June 30 contract deadline? Or should they wait, with the risk that prospective films will fall victim to afterthoughts and lost momentum?

Some of the movies working their way through that bind are Sony Pictures’ sequel to “The Da Vinci Code,â€
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:56 pm

Is Anakin going to play Superman?
source : Cinematical
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:59 pm

God I hope not.

And you can't trust Cinematical! What a rag! ;)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby buster00 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:29 am

TheButcher wrote:Is Anakin going to play Superman?
source : Cinematical

buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:52 am

So he'll be the "even skinner than Kirk Alyn" Superman?

We can't trust that story. It's not even by Elisabeth.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:54 am

And she's only 65% trustable! I hear she doesn't even check her source's sources! :-P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DennisMM on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:00 am

RogueScribner wrote:And she's 65% trustable! I hear she doesn't check her source's sources! :-P

It could happen to anyone.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:14 am

Thats why you should always meet your significant others mother/father. You really gotta check those sources...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:25 am

Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:31 am

Like I didn't see THAT coming.

sly bastard
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:59 am

RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:30 am

According to CHUD, JL has been tabled.

I'm in Long Beach at the Speed Racer junket and I briefly cornered producer Joel Silver to ask him how the Justice League movie would affect Wonder Woman. The answer: it won't. According to Silver, who would be in the know, Justice League has been 'tabled.

I also love this little gem from their comment area:

Man, I thought the talkbackers on AICN were assholes. They're fucking nuns compared to the dicks on here. Give Devin a fucking break. Didn't your mom teach you any manners? She must have been too busy sucking my cock.

See? We're not so different. ;)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:33 am

dances
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:39 am

Megan Gale has been fired!
source : IESB
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:16 pm

More to the point, according to that article, the whole movie is suspended. That's two independent sources saying the same thing. Yay?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Re: JUSTICE LEAGUE

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:53 pm

From the Superman Homepage: August 3, 2008: Miller Talks Megan Gale and JLA Movie
Director George Miller told the Daily Telegraph in Australia that Megan Gale was brilliant in her screen test for the role of Wonder Woman in the currently-shelved "Justice League" movie...

"She got the job because she blitzed her screen test. I had no idea she was so good. She was brilliant," Miller told Confidential.
"She has done some Italian movies but I didn't know she would be as good as she was.

"But once she read we all looked around at each other said, 'well, there's no question'."

As for whether the film will ever get off the ground again...

Despite the glowing rap from the legendary Australian filmmaker, Gale is still crossing her manicured fingers that the superhero film takes off following a series of false starts relating to the US writers and actor's strikes.
Initially slated to be filmed in Australia, Miller conceded the flick's production has been moved offshore, with a plan to resume filming next year.

"We hope it happens. At this stage I think it will be - we'll see," he said.

Read the complete article at News.com.au.

From Wizard Universe: 'JUSTICE LEAGUE' MOVIE BACK ON TRACK?

By Josh Wigler
Posted 8/05/2008

Who's to say there's no such thing as "Justice?"

The Warner Bros. produced "Justice League" was one of the biggest casualties of this year's writer's strike. For a long time now, many have believed the project to be dead and buried. But the film's director George Miller recently spoke with the Herald Sun about the long gestating DC Comics adaptation, and as is common in many superhero tales, a resurrection is on the rise.

"Miller conceded production had been moved offshore," the article states, "with a plan to resume filming next year."

So unless George Miller's got his paws on some illicit Kryptonite capsules, it looks like "Justice League" is doing the zombie jig back into the realm of the living. But what could drive Warner Bros. to resuscitate the plagued project? Well, if we were betting Wizards—which, by the by, we are not—we'd say it has something to do with the company's recent meeting on how best to proceed with their DC properties.

Need further evidence that Warner Bros. is getting their DC ducks in a row? According to Latino Review, Production Weekly's current issue slates "Green Lantern" as in development. The official description of the film reads:
Each sector of space is protected by a Green Lantern, possessing a power ring that uses a powerful green energy to do anything within the limits of the user's imagination and will power. When the Green Lantern assigned to this sector of space finds himself dying on planet Earth, he tells the ring to find a suitable successor. The chosen replacement, hot-shot test pilot Hal Jordan, finds himself with a new job he never expected.

Perhaps the most interesting bit of news is that the film will center on Hal Jordan, whereas the Green Lantern in "Justice League" is John Stewart. So will "Green Lantern" feature a different continuity than "Justice League," or is Warners following Marvel's lead in creating their own DC movie universe? Could we be looking at a "Green Lantern Corps" flick in the not-so-distant future? Color us green with excitement! (Or maybe that's just lunch talking...)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:51 pm

Wouldn't any GL movie eventually be LIKE a GLCorps movie at some point anyway? I mean you COULD do a GL movie that focused on Hal using his powers for good on earth, but the stories kind of lend themselves to a more cosmic scope. Of course that could get expensive.

I have never been the biggest GL fan, but there really is an opportunity here to make a new "Star Wars" style sci-fantasy franchise.

And I prolly should have posted this in the GL thread.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:25 pm

I'd much rather prefer an animated JLU movie. A series that died WAY too soon. I can't explain what Timm and Dini had but they had 'IT', that special thing that makes something work. They took characters that in all likelihood noone would think of using in a Justice League cartoon(Question, Huntress, Green Arrow) and made them great. If they can recapture that for 2 hrs on a big screen, I'm sold. Let's get on that people.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:28 pm

From IESB.net: IESB Exclusive: Green Lantern Story Details Part 1 and Justice League Intel!
IESB found out the complete opposite from various sources at WB -- the movie will not move forward in its current incarnation and a lot has to do with the success of The Dark Knight. Warner Bros. is not willing to risk pissing off Christopher Nolan or Christian Bale and their intent would be to move forward with a third Batman film instead of introducing another Batman in a JLA film.

Officially WB is stating that Justice League of America is on hold due to the potential SAG strike. We have been advised from various sources that the truth is that George Miller has been pulled off the project. We have contacted all parties involved including Kennedy/Miller and other producers but they have declined to comment at this time.

So does that mean that Miller is out of a job? Nope, we have been told that some execs over at Warner Bros. would like Miller to take over The Green Lantern project. Any truth to the rumor? Only time will tell but one thing is certain in my purest fan boy opinion - this script totally kicks ass!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:42 pm

Miller Officially Off Justice League

darkhorizons wrote:Appearing on Sydney-based morning talk show "Sunrise" this morning, Aussie filmmaker George Miller confirmed he's no longer involved in the "Justice League" in any capacity.

According to scooper 'Steve' he says that Miller indicated that if the project does get going again, he expects that it'll be recast as "the studios seem to want bigger stars in their superhero movies now."

Miller also admits that he'd like to work with Mel Gibson on something again and while Mel doesn't want to do the Mad Max script he wrote, he hasn't given up on that possibility just yet.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:55 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:Miller Officially Off Justice League

darkhorizons wrote:Appearing on Sydney-based morning talk show "Sunrise" this morning, Aussie filmmaker George Miller confirmed he's no longer involved in the "Justice League" in any capacity.

According to scooper 'Steve' he says that Miller indicated that if the project does get going again, he expects that it'll be recast as "the studios seem to want bigger stars in their superhero movies now."

Miller also admits that he'd like to work with Mel Gibson on something again and while Mel doesn't want to do the Mad Max script he wrote, he hasn't given up on that possibility just yet.

It's all a bunch of lies.
From /film: Update: George Miller Still Attached to Justice League
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:15 pm

Damn you, Scuba Steve!
Making a liar out of me.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion