PIRATES 3: AT SERIES END?

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

1-10, how do you rate, blah blah blah...

10%
12%
29%
20%
8%
2%
3%
3%
3%
2%
MY EYES! THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
7%

Total votes : 59

PIRATES 3: AT SERIES END?

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:06 am

I may be going mad, but as much as i searched i could not find a thread for Pirates 3. I fthere is one,Mods, can you please repost this stuff there.

Here are the first Hi-res pics from the film

How badass does Chow Yun studly look?!?
Last edited by colonel_lugz on Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:14 am

Chow Yun Studly!

:P
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:15 am

Splendid find, Lugz!

When I look at that top one, though, I keep hearing the song "Little Green Bag" in my head...
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:22 am

cool.... I wanna see more!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:23 am

Who's the boy in the middle of the top picture?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:25 am

tut, tut... boy? It's Keira Knightley in chinese clothing
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Logan5 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:40 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Who's the boy in the middle of the top picture?

Obviously they had to merge Kiera's and Orlando's characters to bring back Captain Jack Harkne... Sparrow. That's why there's no Kiera or Orlando in the pics.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Chilli on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:05 am

This. Looks. Awesome.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:16 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:tut, tut... boy? It's Keira Knightley in chinese clothing

Nah, it's definitely a boy. Look, no breasts.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:20 am

Do you know what no corset can do to a lady?

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby beastie on Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:57 am

This is the same site that those pics came from.
http://filmz.ru/pub/61/9467_2.htm
That's the teaser. I would have thought that it was fan made, but I saw those pictures, and more, on the above link about a month or two ago. There's more pictures, but I can't navigate the site being that it's in Russian.
beastie
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:14 am

Chilli wrote:This. Looks. Awesome.

Paisan... with alla due respect... we're talking about a the TWO stills from a the movie, eh? That's a like a saying The Bible, she is a the greatest story ever told a 'cos a the phrase "In the beginning..."

Goddamn putz... THIS is a why a the goddamn movie industry, she's a being ruined by a the marketers anna the hype machines, eh? A 'cos of a the drooling fanboys so desperate for a the glimpse of a the next a best a thing, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:17 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Paisan... with alla due respect... we're talking about a the TWO stills from a the movie, eh? That's a like a saying The Bible, she is a the greatest story ever told a 'cos a the phrase "In the beginning..."

Goddamn putz... THIS is a why a the goddamn movie industry, she's a being ruined by a the marketers anna the hype machines, eh? A 'cos of a the drooling fanboys so desperate for a the glimpse of a the next a best a thing, eh?

And lo' didst the Dino layeth the smacketh down.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:18 am

Chilli's not even online, but I bet he felt that
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:30 am

beastie wrote:This is the same site that those pics came from.
http://filmz.ru/pub/61/9467_2.htm
That's the teaser. I would have thought that it was fan made, but I saw those pictures, and more, on the above link about a month or two ago. There's more pictures, but I can't navigate the site being that it's in Russian.

You have to think in RUSSIAN! Do you think you can do that? I dunno about these movies. As good as they are, I just couldn't give a shit about them. Even this, sod the ESB cliffhanger continuation.
Sd them all.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:30 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
MonkeyM666 wrote:tut, tut... boy? It's Keira Knightley in chinese clothing

Nah, it's definitely a boy. Look, no breasts.

Gotta be Kiera then. Boys have bigger breasts than Keira.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:32 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:12 am

Meh, I can wait to see it. I dont have that feeling of "OMG how does this story end" with this movie.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby beastie on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:24 am

godzillasushi wrote:Meh, I can wait to see it. I dont have that feeling of "OMG how does this story end" with this movie.

I don't get that feeling either. The cliffhanger didn't do it for me. I want to see it because the first 2 were really fun; no more, no less.
beastie
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:26 am

beastie wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:Meh, I can wait to see it. I dont have that feeling of "OMG how does this story end" with this movie.

I don't get that feeling either. The cliffhanger didn't do it for me. I want to see it because the first 2 were really fun; no more, no less.

Exactly
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:19 pm

it is a tossup for me between this movie and Spidey 3 for my most-anticipated '07 summer movie. can't tell much from these pics, but then, after the first two movies either you like and have faith in Verbinski's work with the franchise or you don't, and some production stills aren't going to make any new fans or lose established ones. people can try to act as "meh" as they want, (i won't even get into that using the term "meh" at this point ranks right up there with doing the Marcarana), but POTC:DMC was good storytelling and i guarantee people didn't know how it was going to unfold until they saw it, which very few movies do these days with the formuliac storytelling style that is so common.
Last edited by Peven on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:35 pm

hey! wait a sec!

so jack sparrow survived the kraken!

OMG! i'm so spoiled! :cry:
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:36 pm

Peven wrote:it is a tossup for me between this movie and Spidey 3 for my most-anticipated '07 summer movie. can't much from these pics, but then, after the first two movies either you like and have faith in Verbinski's work with the franchise or you don't, and some production stills aren't going to make any new fans or lose established ones. people can try to act as "meh" as they want, (i won't even get into that using the term "meh" at this point ranks right up there with doing the Marcarana), but POTC:DMC was good storytelling and i guarantee people didn't know how it was going to unfold until they saw it, which very few movies do these days with the formuliac storytelling style that is so common.

I suppose this is in my direction so I will respond. I only used meh because the movie feels more like another one, as opposed to "O M G I must see the new Pirates to see what happens, etc." I'm actually stoked to see the movie, but I don't plan on losing any sleep over it. And I am not knocking what is a most excellent series. I shouldn't use "meh" I guess. I therefore take back what I said. The word is just so tempting.
Last edited by godzillasushi on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:39 pm

thats cool Godzillasushi, it isn't as if you are a chronic user, so don't take it too personal. that term just irritates me and i am a little grumpy today so it was an easy target.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:44 pm

Yea me too. Noisy roomates suck :cry:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:44 pm

Peven wrote:thats cool Godzillasushi, it isn't as if you are a chronic user, so don't take it too personal.

no, i think that title is reserved for KCBC*

* ...and most of the rest of the zone
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:46 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Peven wrote:thats cool Godzillasushi, it isn't as if you are a chronic user, so don't take it too personal.

* ...and most of the rest of the zone

mmmm yea pretty much.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby beastie on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:55 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
Peven wrote:it is a tossup for me between this movie and Spidey 3 for my most-anticipated '07 summer movie. can't much from these pics, but then, after the first two movies either you like and have faith in Verbinski's work with the franchise or you don't, and some production stills aren't going to make any new fans or lose established ones. people can try to act as "meh" as they want, (i won't even get into that using the term "meh" at this point ranks right up there with doing the Marcarana), but POTC:DMC was good storytelling and i guarantee people didn't know how it was going to unfold until they saw it, which very few movies do these days with the formuliac storytelling style that is so common.

I suppose this is in my direction so I will respond. I only used meh because the movie feels more like another one, as opposed to "O M G I must see the new Pirates to see what happens, etc." I'm actually stoked to see the movie, but I don't plan on losing any sleep over it. And I am not knocking what is a most excellent series. I shouldn't use "meh" I guess. I therefore take back what I said. The word is just so tempting.

I also hope my comment wasn't misconstrued as "meh". I said "really fun; no more, no less" and the majority of the time, that's all I want. I didn't see the end coming, however, just like godzillasushi, the cliffhanger didn't leave me breathless, like the end of every single Dexter episode. I'm actually torn between this film and Harry Potter 5 for most anticipated films of next summer. Spiderman and Marvel never really did it for me (I'm not criticizing, just not my thing).
beastie
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:09 pm

i kinda feel the same way about POTC3 as i did about POTC2 and how others feel about this. i expect it to be a lot of fun, i'm looking forward to it, and i'm sure it will make a ton of money, but it's not in that category of really highly anticipated films. i think the POTC movies, despite the cliffhanger and all, are still a lot more like the indiana jones movies than star wars or LOTR. people go to the movie for the fun and the action, but the underlying storyline is not the most compelling aspect of the film. the cliffhanger is hardly a cliffhanger, because no one seriously believes jack sparrow is dead, and he's sure to be in all the publicity, even in those stills above. and they won't wait very long in the film to resolve it because they want to have as much sparrow screentime as possible, since he's the biggest draw for these films.

so there's no way this can really compete with films like ROTS or ROTK or ROTJ for anticipation level. but there's still plenty to get excited about. hopefully they'll be able to top the stunts and fx of the last, and ms. beanpole looks pretty good in that asian getup. for me personally, one of the things i'm actually looking forward to the most is seeing keith richards as sparrow's pa. i hope he has more than just a few throwaway lines.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:18 pm

i honestly think that the ending of POTC:DMC would have been a good way to end POTC:ATWE. something more along the lines of a "Shane" ending even. making the third movie live up to the first two is going to be Verbinski's toughest test yet, imo, because he has already used a lot of good story devices and most everything has felt pretty fresh. i hope he has enough new ones left in his bag for this third movie.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:21 pm

Topping the special effects shots in the second one should be interesting. Can they make a scene as funny as the water wheel fight, or escaping from the island people? Some very memorable fight scenes that got a laugh out of me.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:54 pm

HHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Okay, I partially agree. But I said 'this. looks. awesome' rather than 'this will be awesome.' I think the stills look cool, knowing that doesn't automatically make the film itself awesome.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:12 pm

Heres (apparently) the first Teaser Poster.

It seem ligit, i dont think its been posted anywere on here. (i found it at darkhorizons)

It would go in line with the other teaser posters, as the two previous were relased around this time of the year.

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:28 pm

I hugely enjoyed DMC, better than the first and the action scenes were some of the only ones where I've laughed at the stunts as much as I've gasped at them. Don't think I've done that since Indiana Jones. I loved the dark undercurrent the movie had as well. It was a very fun experience but it didn't do anymore than that, hopefully ATWE will continue like that. Verbinski and the writers have a great grasp of the world and the films and what bits we want more of and in just the right proportions too.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Chilli on Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:04 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I hugely enjoyed DMC, better than the first and the action scenes were some of the only ones where I've laughed at the stunts as much as I've gasped at them. Don't think I've done that since Indiana Jones. I loved the dark undercurrent the movie had as well. It was a very fun experience but it didn't do anymore than that, hopefully ATWE will continue like that. Verbinski and the writers have a great grasp of the world and the films and what bits we want more of and in just the right proportions too.

Total agreement.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Logan5 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:18 pm

Yep, total agreement.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:21 pm

I mainly want to see it for the awesomeness of Davey Jones and Bill Nighy. He totally owned DMC.

And of course, I want to see if Keith Richards actually shows up somewhere.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:26 pm

Oh, and by the skull in the teaser having Jack's beard... does that signify an unfortunate ending for Sparrow? Or have all the teaser skulls had Jack's features and I'm too dim to notice?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby buster00 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:39 pm

I ran that Japanese Kanji writing through the BabelFish:

"Here is Bruckheimer Glad Goodtime. Pleased to have relax, this special film is to quench from perspiring, soften our hearts. With you!"
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:01 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Oh, and by the skull in the teaser having Jack's beard... does that signify an unfortunate ending for Sparrow? Or have all the teaser skulls had Jack's features and I'm too dim to notice?

The frist one was the symbol from the ride, the second one had Jacks features on it.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby papalazeru on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:10 pm

buster00 wrote:I ran that Japanese Kanji writing through the BabelFish:

"Here is Bruckheimer Glad Goodtime. Pleased to have relax, this special film is to quench from perspiring, soften our hearts. With you!"

You sound like a frickin Fujitsu camera manual.

Maybe you should try for a job....or write Haiku's.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:36 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:Oh, and by the skull in the teaser having Jack's beard... does that signify an unfortunate ending for Sparrow? Or have all the teaser skulls had Jack's features and I'm too dim to notice?

The frist one was the symbol from the ride, the second one had Jacks features on it.

They've always had his scarf though, which I thought was forboding the "undead" trick he played in POTC 1.

I can't wait for this movie. Now that I've seen 300, it moves up into the #1 slot for summer movies! :D I am psyched to see Barbossa again, he rivals Jack as my favorite character of the movies.

Someone needs to dig up that photo of Jack in the Asian costume, the one Disney says is Photoshopped. I don't buy that, I think it was just a rejected costume. Or maybe a trick of the infamous Sith Camaro Jack Sparrow lookalike.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:43 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:

They've always had his scarf though, which I thought was forboding the "undead" trick he played in POTC 1.

I can't wait for this movie. Now that I've seen 300, it moves up into the #1 slot for summer movies! :D I am psyched to see Barbossa again, he rivals Jack as my favorite character of the movies.

Someone needs to dig up that photo of Jack in the Asian costume, the one Disney says is Photoshopped. I don't buy that, I think it was just a rejected costume. Or maybe a trick of the infamous Sith Camaro Jack Sparrow lookalike.

Its a toss up for me at the moment. IM Hyped on both Pirates and Spidey.

Pirates hooked me with the most bad ass cliff hanger ending ever, and Spidey is Spidey. I saw both movies opening day, and about 10 apiece after.

(well i saw pirates 2 about 15 times in the theater, mind you i was working at one at the time, so i got to see it free a lot)
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Vicarious on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:55 pm

Can't say I'm all that excited after DMC, which makes me quite sad. Loved the first one.
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:57 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Someone needs to dig up that photo of Jack in the Asian costume, the one Disney says is Photoshopped. I don't buy that, I think it was just a rejected costume. Or maybe a trick of the infamous Sith Camaro Jack Sparrow lookalike.

This one?

bastard_robo wrote:Pirates hooked me with the most bad ass cliff hanger ending ever...

* turns racial sensitivity filter off *

NIGGA PLEASE!

* turns racial sensitivity filter back on *
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:59 pm

that'll be a $20 fine...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:59 pm

I just watched the COTBP last night.....

uh..........

......uh.....

wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:00 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:that'll be a $20 fine...

* pays fine, hangs head *

It was worth it...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:09 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:Someone needs to dig up that photo of Jack in the Asian costume, the one Disney says is Photoshopped. I don't buy that, I think it was just a rejected costume. Or maybe a trick of the infamous Sith Camaro Jack Sparrow lookalike.

This one?

bastard_robo wrote:Pirates hooked me with the most bad ass cliff hanger ending ever...

* turns racial sensitivity filter off *

NIGGA PLEASE!

* turns racial sensitivity filter back on *

WHY YOU GOTS TA BE HATIN?
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:06 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:that'll be a $20 fine...

* pays fine, hangs head *

It was worth it...

and you're b4nn3d from the laugh factory for a month...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Next

Return to Movie Discussion