PIRATES 3: AT SERIES END?

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

1-10, how do you rate, blah blah blah...

10%
12%
29%
20%
8%
2%
3%
3%
3%
2%
MY EYES! THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
7%

Total votes : 59

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 28, 2007 7:57 am

It's a quite appalling film.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am

I dunno. With all that back and forth double crossing/'are they really double crossing?' going on and the inevitable conclusion that happened at the film in the end, I wonder if it all really did add up to that much plot in the end. Really need to see the film twice and with double crossing map/chart to weed out the story there. Part of me thinks that the final battle in the island could have happened with lesser events and steps to lead up to it and all this back stabbing betraying back and forthness didn't REALLY contribute to this happening as much as one would think. Rather it just delayed it and disguised a more non eventfull lead up to it than one might have originally thought. I dunno, again, needs a repeat viewing.

At the end of the day when you walk out and look back on it, it does feel that less was going on in the movie than it appeared to whilst you were watching it.

The final battle was rather a let down and unremarkable, considering the build up and wait towards it. A whole Armada vs all of the Pirate ships big kick off fight. Do we get it? Nah fark that, instead we get an over extended battle scene between 2 Pirate ships with Calypso who is supposed to be helping Barbarossa's side, just becoming a whirlpool for 15 odd minutes of screentime. That's what we get from her power over nature. Cheers a lot luv!

That action sequence outstayed it's welcome after a while rather. That absolutely anger inducing awful wedding scene in the midst of the fight with some terrible line delivery and annoying fight timing and choreography amidst it, just killed the battle and made me fidget in my seat and want to shout out for them to SHUT UP!!!! The swordfight between Sparrow and Jones was pretty insignificantly done to be rendered quite invisible in the whole battle scene, as all the acion going on around the duel just seemed to overwhelm it. Why didn't those 2 ships have blasted each other to bits by the end? It went on forever. Why the fark did Calypso do neither side any favours as she was sucking them down the plughole? I thought she had chosen a side by then? Well if she hadn't, surely she could have wiped out both ships a lot easier. Oh and MAN did that scene drag on and on and on.

Again, all that much ado to pretty much nothing. All that set up with all the other Pirates and all those ships at sea, army to army. Yeah, this would be worth the trip of the film up to this point. But NO-OOOO!! No big Pirate/Armada War that one would have expected and pretty damn well should have deserved. Considering everything the story had dragged us through, and the impression of complexity and broadening of scale and scope that it was appearing to give us. Damn, it was as if the film makers denied us a bigger battle just to piss us off. It all just felt deliberate.

Acting wise, the brilliant actors in an inadvertant way made us feel let down at the same time as they improved the film for us. Now when I mean that they let us down, I don't mean that it is their fault, Depp, Nighy, and especially Geoffrey Rush give proffessional, mesmerizing and downright riveting performances. But rather seeing their excellence really really showed and highlighted to us just how bad the likes of Orlando Bloom is and the appalingness he brings to his scenes. He really is trying to keep up with those other guys and is merely attempting to be dramatic and attention grabbing as everyone else's acting. There he is, pulling all those faces, stiffening of the lip, forcing his eyes to squint and stare. God that guy REALLY shows here that he ain't got it like those other dudes have, and reminds us as what a mediocre actor he is at best. There really will be no REAL dramatic impact that he'll bring to his films if he don't improve.

Knightley doesn't do much better. Her performance keeps on going from strong to flat throughout. I really think that she has a commanding presence as an actress and that she can be really damn beautiful sometimes. But again, in a scene under a different light, she really can expose what a MASSIVE carboard square face she has. Oh my God that JAW!!! But in this film, whenever she has to show what a strong ballsy leader she can be, I dunno, I just don't think she can pull it off enough. Yes, I know it is hard when you're a waify young female like her to stand up to the manly older Pirate actors around her, but when she delivers that big Braveheart speech at the end, I just wanted to look away. It just felt too hoarse and mid range and flat. I'm being generous with this description here. It just was rather embarressing.

Again, I do think that she's got some strong acting chops down there somewhere. Every now and then in this film, you do see it come to the surface. It's just too much up and down. At least she shows that she's getting there though but here it's just not consistent enough.

It's great to see Depp back and for him to relishing his character and scenes again. The multiple characters is a real treat, his invention of part comic/part drunk loser/part hero is still a blast to watch, but it is Geoffrey Rush that owns the show here. The guy is just so effortless in the way he laughingly eats up the camera and how his larger than life Pirate just devours the film all the time. Just such an easy and enjoyable watch. You light up and just welcome him back every time he comes back on screen in his scenes.

Pirate meter smiley for the good.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Pirate meter frown for the bad... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

That's a good/bad Pirate Icon each both for the story. There's a plot in there somewhere! I think.

Oh and I'm being leniant with the score that I famously hate at the end. The main Pirates theme fucking song, that even though I hate it so much and feels like someone is bashing my head against the table to the rythm of the score - IT STILL IS IN MY FARKING HEAD THIS MORNING EVER SINCE COMING OUT OF THE THEATRE!!!!!!!

MY GOD THE NOISES!! MY GOOAARDDD THE NOISES!!!!! LISTEN TO IT SIIIIINNNNGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHH DUM DUM DUM DER-DUM!!! DUM DUM DUM DER-DUM!!!!!!! STOP THE NOISES!!!! STOP THE NOISES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that's the good and the bad. The film might improve with more viewings of it, it'll help me to understand wether there was as much story going on there as it might have wanted. Or it might show that there is less and it's just trying to be covered up by hitting you over the head with the backwards forwards betrayals, only to end up in the same place, still in the same spot, not having moved anywhere. Only thing is, it'll mean having to stay in the seat and having to go through all that again to find out. Dunno if this vewiing will be an endurance, especially with that battle scene which could well end up making me more impatient with it the more I watch it. Who knows, maybe I won't bother watching it from start to finish at all. I was never that concerned about these movies really. It was in one eye and out the other at best most of the time. Maybe if it was about Barbarossa and Jack Sparrow, I'll be in defintely. Roll on Part 4 if this is the case then.

Oh, one more thing. Keith Richards. So farking what?! All that hype, such a little scene. Did so little, said so little, he seemed to be rather fading in my opinion, the more I think about him here as I type this. Not a great enough presence and impact. Just didn't give that much of an impression at the end of the day for the big Pirate that he was supposed to be playing, for the build up we've had all these last couple of years. Damn man. 'So what? Big Deal!' kind of an appearence.

Damn man. I missed Search for the New Pussycat Doll for this. Oh and no Lugz. Channel Four Download don't FARKING work for the Mac!!! 1 grumpy Pirate angry face. :evil:
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 28, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

PIRATES 3: AT SERIES END? (REVIEW THREAD- SPOILERS!!!)

Postby bastard_robo on Mon May 28, 2007 9:01 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I dunno. With all that back and forth double crossing/are they really double crossing going on and the inevitable conclusion that happened at the film in the end, I wonder if it all really did add up to that much plot in the end. Really need to see the film twice and with double crossing map/chart to weed out the story there. Part of me thinks that the final battle in the island could have happened with lesser events and steps to lead up to it and all this back stabbing betraying back and forthness didn't REALLY contribute to this happening as much as one would think, it just delayed it and disguised a more non eventfull lead up to it than one might have originally thought. I dunno, again, needs a repeat viewing.

At the end of the day when you walk out and look back on it, it does feel that less was going on in the movie than it appeared to at the time whilst you were watching it.

The final battle was rather a let down and unremarkable, considering the build up and wait towards it. A whole Armada vs all of the Pirate ships big kick off fight. Do we get it? Nah fark that, instead we get an over extended battle scene between 2 Pirate ships with Calypso who is supposed to be helping Barbarossa's side, just becoming a whirlpool for 15 odd minutes of screentime. That's what we get from her power over nature. Cheers a lot luv!

That action sequence outstayed it's welcome after a while rather. That absolutely anger inducing awful wedding scene in the midst of the fight with some terrible line delivery and annoying fight timing and choreography amidst it just killed the battle and made me fidget in my seat and shout out for them to SHUT UP!!!! The swordfight between Sparrow and Jones was pretty insignificantly done to be rendered quite invisible in the fight and to one's eye trying to keep up with it in the whole battle scene. Why didn't those 2 ships have blasted each other to bits by the end? It went on forever. Why the fark did Calypso do neither side no favours with trying to suck them down the plughole? I thought she had chosen a side by then? Well if she hadn't, surely she could have wiped out both ships a lot easier. Oh and MAN did that scene drag on and on and on.

Again, all that much ado to pretty much nothing. All that set up with all the other Pirates and all those ships at sea, army to army. Yeah, this would be worth the trip of the film up to this point. But NO-OOOO!! No big Pirate/Armada War that one would have expected and pretty damn well should have deserved after everything the story had dragged us through and the impression of complexity and broadening of scale and scope that it was appearing to give us. Damn, it was as if the film makers denied us a bigger battle just to piss us off. It all just felt deliberate.

Acting wise, the brilliant actors in an inadvertant way really serve to let us down at the same time as they improve the film for us. Now when I mean that they let us down, I don't mean that it is their fault, Depp, Nighy, and especially Geoffrey Rush give proffessional, mesmerizing and downright riveting performances. But rather seeing their excellence really really shows us just how bad the likes of Orlando Bloom is and the appalingness he brings to his scenes. He really is trying to keep up with those other guys and is merely attempting to be dramatic and attention grabbing as their acting. There he is, pulling all those faces, stiffening of the lip, forcing his eyes to squint and stare. God that guy REALLY shows here that he ain't got it like those other dudes have and reminds us as what a mediocre actor he is at best. There really will be no REAL dramatic impact that he'll bring to his films if he don't improve.

Knightley doesn't do much better. Her performance keeps on going from strong to flat throughout. I really think that she has a commanding presence as an actress and that she can be really damn beautiful sometimes. But again, in a scene under a different light, she really can expose what a MASSIVE carboard square face she has. Oh my God that JAW!!! But in this film, whenever she has to show what a strong ballsy leader she can be, I dunno, I just don't think she can pull it off enough. Yes, I know it is hard when you're a waify young female like her to stand up to the manly older Pirate actors around her, but when she delivers that big Braveheart speech at the end, I just wanted to look away. It just felt too hoarse and mid range and flat. I'm being generous with this description here. It just was rather embarressing.

Again, I do think that she's got some strong acting chops down there somewhere. Every now and then in this film, you do see it come to the surface. It's just too much up and down. At least she shows that she's getting there though.

It's great to see Depp back and for him to relishing his character and scenes again. The multiple characters is a real treat, his invention of part comic/part drunk loser/part hero is still a blast to watch, but it is Geoffrey Rush that owns the show here. The guy is just so effortless in the way he laughingly eats up the camera and how his larger than life Pirate just devours the film up all the time. Just such an easy and enjoyable watch. You light up and just welcome him back every time he comes back on screen in his scenes.

Pirate meter smiley for the good.... twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Pirate meter frown for the bad... twisted: twisted: twisted: twisted: twisted:

That's a good/bad Pirate Icon for story. There's a plot in there somewhere! I think.

Oh and I'm being leniant with the score that I famously hate at the end. The main Pirates theme fucking song, that even though I hate it so much and feels like someone is bashing my head against the table to the rythm of the score - IT STILL IS IN MY FARKING HEAD THIS MORNING EVER SINCE COMING OUT OF THE THEATRE!!!!!!!

MY GOD THE NOISES!! MY GOOAARDDD THE NOISES!!!!! LISTEN TO IT SIIIIINNNNGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHH DUM DUM DUM DER-DUM!!! DUM DUM DUM DER-DUM!!!!!!! STOP THE NOISES!!!! STOP THE NOISES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that's the good and the bad. The film might improve with more viewings of it, it'll help me to understand wether there was as much story going on there as it might have wanted, or it might show that there is less and it's just trying to be covered up by hitting you over the head with the backwards forwards betrayals, only to end up in the same place, still in the same spot, not having moved anywhere. Only thing is, it'll mean having to stay in the seat and having to go through all that again. Dunno if it'll be an endurance, especially with that battle scene which could well end up making me more impatient with it, the more I watch it. Who knows, maybe I won't bother watching it from start to finish at all. I was never that concerned about these movies really. It was in one eye and out the other at best most of the time. Maybe if it was about Barbarossa and Jack Sparrow, I'll be in defintely. Roll on Part 4 if this is the case then.

Oh, one more thing. Keith Richards. So farking what?! All that hype, such a little scene. Did so little, said so little, he seemed to be rather fading in my opinion, the more I think about him here as I type this. Just didn't give that much of an impression at the end of the day, for the big Pirate that he was supposed to be playing, for the build up we've had all these last couple of years. Damn man. 'Big Deal(!)' kind of an appearence.

Damn man. I missed Search for the New Pussycat Doll for this. Oh and no Lugz. Channel Four Download don't FARKING work for the Mac!!! 1 grumpy Pirate angry face. :evil:

Do you need a hug?
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon May 28, 2007 9:51 am

No, he needs a basic writing tutorial.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 28, 2007 9:59 am

Hope it's from that sexy teacher from Colin's sig. I'm sure by the end of it SHE'LL be the one learning a new language though. That consisting of such vowels and constanonts as 'YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH YEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH KIRK YOU'RE MY HEADMASTER NOW'.

Something shit like that, but a funnier punchline, anyway.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby nodforlife on Mon May 28, 2007 1:20 pm

Actually, you'd be far more likely to be killed for insubordination on a naval vessel, they'll flog you just for bumping into a midshipman. Remember "Master and Commander"? Becket's the kind of captain who would hang you for a shoe buckle being crooked.

Yes, but at least there were rules, and I'd know exactly what NOT to do to avoid being reprimanded. If the pirates were in charge, there would be an added layer of unpredictability to the violence, which seems much more frightening to me. Also, I think if the India Company completely eliminated the pirate threat and ruled the seas, they could be a little more lenient with discipline since they wouldn't have to defend themselves militarily. Thirdly, I wouldn't worry about Beckett because my shoe buckles are impeccable.
nodforlife
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Will Scarlet on Mon May 28, 2007 4:15 pm

Ahhh....the irony of the sword. Completely forgot to post on that. Yes, Will was killed by the very sword he had so carefully forged for Norrington. And, the heart was stabbed with the knife Will had been given by his father....

Speaking of whom, I really thought the ass would take the fall for his son, but perhaps he couldn't become Davy Jones, he was already under a curse of another kind.

Norrington....really hated to see him go out that way. He certainly would have taken a fall for Elizabeth and Will...he did I guess, but he was killed by Will's half crustacean father dammit. And Beckett! What a great scene as he walks down the stairs, his ship exploding around him, would have been great if he'd of taken a hit at that point, he really needed to be bloodied a bit.

WS
Will Scarlet
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby LaDracul on Mon May 28, 2007 7:44 pm

I'm going to rant about the ending...

I think Beckett should have been the one doomed to be the ferryman. After he sent all those people to death, it would've been a fitting end instead of going down with the burning ship.

Secondly, Elisabeth is a total badass, but when it comes to her and Will, she doesn't even follow him to the boat. I would've told him that I would NEVER, EVER leave his side no matter what the circumstances were. And he's with his dad, while he can't be with his son. What a shyte way to end their story. >:(

I'm more interested in seeing what happens with Jack and Barbossa competing to find the Fountain of Youth.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Mon May 28, 2007 8:05 pm

Gave it a 7 out of 10. Will review it at length later, but it could of easiley been an 1 hour shorter.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby justcheckin on Mon May 28, 2007 10:14 pm

I really liked this movie... thought it ended the series very nice. I didn't want Turner to end up the way he did but it fit well.

I loved it!!!
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Mon May 28, 2007 10:42 pm

Much better than I expected. I followed the story pretty easily, I enjoyed all the double and triple-crosses, and that last battle was the fucking shit. And I really went in with lowered expectations, too.

Better than the second, but not as good as the first.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Tue May 29, 2007 10:25 am

I really wish this movie wasn't so long.

I loved it though.

With all the double-crossing and deals being made, I thought it would be cool to see them all set in motion during the end of the film. Instead, some of those particular storylines don't really get fleshed out.

The Jack Sparrow stuff in Davy Jones locker was great. It was really abstract and fun. Calypso wasn't really wrapped up, which is no big deal I guess. But, she started the maelstrom and then...poof, she was gone. I assume she got bored and went home after Mr. Jones finally died. I always expected him to redeem himself, but he was a villian to the end.

The ending is a bit of a drag. I was just bummed that Will had to be the one to helm the Dutchmen. But....whew those legs Elizabeth had.....

....right, so anyway!

8/10
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Tue May 29, 2007 11:33 am

godzillasushi wrote:The ending is a bit of a drag. I was just bummed that Will had to be the one to helm the Dutchmen. But....whew those legs Elizabeth had.....

Yesss, the legs!! THE LEGGSSSS!!! Insane bonerific shot that was. Bet Verbinski needed 14 takes at a minimum.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue May 29, 2007 11:35 am

Jack should have knocked lizzy over the head and tossed her overboard. Then she could've been part of the dutchmans crew.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 29, 2007 11:57 am

Evil Hobbit wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:The ending is a bit of a drag. But....whew those legs Elizabeth had.....

Yesss, the legs!! THE LEGGSSSS!!! Insane bonerific shot that was. Bet Verbinski needed 14 takes at a minimum.

*imagines directorial shenanigans*

Dammit, Evil Hobbit! You just RUINED my mental image of Gore Verbinski!

*cries*
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:11 pm

...'ya know, I get what they were doing with Will permanently becoming a salty sea dog, as it makes for a decent character arc.

but I wish they'd of stuck with the gender role reversal of Elizabeth's fascination with pirates and pirating and all things bootylicious by having her take the reigns of the Flying Dutchman.

why not have Will be the one waiting on land, raising his child as a single parent, faithful to his dead lover to the last, spurning available lasses 'cuz his true love did the right thing?

surprisingly, I really liked this one, my favorite of the three. Oh yeah, it's got plenty of faults, but I completely fell for the Gilliam-esque visual poetry of the Davy Jones' Locker scenes, and I was reminded, often, of Douglas Adams while watching (I like Rockwell, but Zaphod is a role Depp would've pwned), particularly the MalkovichMalkovich set-piece.

and while that speech Elizabeth gave, equating pirating and FREEDOM! was a tad re-donk, is it a too liberal reading to suggest that the East India Company as a stand-in for the U.S.ofMeh, and the pirates as terrorists?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:42 pm

KC, that is a great idea about Elizabeth being the one to take Davey Jones' place. i would have liked it even more if that had been the case.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:03 pm

I really wish she would have at least continued on as captain of Sao Feng's ship. The credits scene was good and romantic, but it would have been cool if she had sailed to meet him in her Chinese junk...
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:26 pm

Coming a bit late to the party on this one (and turning up stoned and raving like a madman), but I quite liked it. I think I'm going to quit seeing movies on their release day though, what it adds in ambience is more than cancelled-out by the constant ruffling, heckling and toilet breaks.

Anyway, like Burl or someone said, the Pirate mythos is so ill-defined that it is a little too easy to write yourself in and out of McGuffins with some weird, acid-freak style logic. Upside down is downside up...why of course!

I actually quite liked the surreal plot treatment Pirates was given, however. It's always a sign that I'm watching a good film when I see that strained, constipated look of befuddlement on my fellow filmgoers' faces.

Chow Yun studly was Chow Yun studly (though if ya ask me, the guy's coasting a little of late). It was cool to see Keith, and the fact that he was treated just like Keith Richards added to the movie's entertaining randomness.

Orlando Bloom was a bit of a cipher, but I guess that's his character in the movie. To be honest, the guy's post-LOTR work has never really appealed to me. I think the stoical, gravel-voiced shtick would work better with him if he didn't look like he was the kind of guy who takes turns with his sister braiding each other's hair. Maybe in a decade or two, after a few years of snorting blow out of various Hollywood nymphets' backsides, he might be a little better equipped to make that kind of look work.

Depp's alright. The scenes of him talking to himself seem kinda forced, but I like the idea that, after that whole Search For Spock build-up, we suddenly get an overdose of Depp. I still think Jack Sparrow got diluted a bit when, instead of being like David Bowie/Keith invading Captain Blood, the movies started to get built more around him. Still, you can't complain: it's Depp!

Anyway, nice cinematography, and definitely a lot more kinetic than most of the other event movies that have come out thus far. Good job. 7/10
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby LeFlambeur on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:18 pm

I normally don't base my movie viewing decisions on who the actors are, but any movie with Stellan Saasgaard, Chow Yun F a t, and Johnny Depp has my interest. Also I was quite impressed with the trailer. Having seen the movie, I'm disappointed, but not very surprised.

I've always admired the pirates movies as being the best that Bruckheimer has ever produced, however much of a compliment that is. With the Bruckheimer form becoming increasingly parodied and perhaps even obsolete, combining the formula with an old Hollywood style pirate movie was a small stroke of genius. By transplanting the setting to what is essentially a fantasy world, and adding a dash of well needed humor, the incredulities usually associated with his films gained a bit of plausibility. And where Depp's subversive performance carried the slack of the first, the second displayed a graceful, imaginative sense of direction, juggling setpieces in an exciting, if sometimes portentous manner. In AWE neither of those aspects are present. Depp's performance is an stale joke, the direction is too busy, and so much is expressed through explication as opposed to action that the film is often well, boring.

Certain lines in the trailer (The pirates know their age is over, all they can choose is where to make their final stand - paraphrase) and the films opening suggested an elegy, hell possibly a commentary on western expansion and colonialism. The end of an era, a smaller world. I was expecting the pirates to go down like the Wild Bunch, for the film to actually push things to worlds end as the title promised. By the end, the film is content to simply giving the audience what it wants, pounding the soundtrack to stimulate excitement, and ripping itself off. For brief moments I was excited, but I was never awed.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Dr William Weir on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:31 pm

I really, really liked the guy with one eyeball. Shame it was wooden, would've been nice to have seen some optical nerve endings...
Dr William Weir
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby LaDracul on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:07 am

Dr William Weir wrote:I really, really liked the guy with one eyeball. Shame it was wooden, would've been nice to have seen some optical nerve endings...

There was a brief description in the DK Visual Guide that Rangetti is looking at the jar of eyeballs in Tia Dalma's shack, wishing that she'd work her magic to give him a new eye...never mentioned in the film, though.

I do say he looks a bit more dashing with the eyepatch, though...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Dr William Weir on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:27 am

Is that so? It's a shame that was removed as it would've added a bit more to the character... then again, it was rammed with flesh enough as it was. He did have that one whisper which suddenly made him a more rounded, sad character, but it was a bit too late as he was already a comedy buffoon. Unfortunately it gave Calypso crabs, but you know what they say about Sailors...
Dr William Weir
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Zarles on Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:23 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:I really wish she would have at least continued on as captain of Sao Feng's ship. The credits scene was good and romantic, but it would have been cool if she had sailed to meet him in her Chinese junk...

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded seeing her junk, either.

What? I meant her boat.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:17 pm

Heheh, so I finally caught up to the rest of you in my dingy, just got back from watching Pirates 3. Still, the first film is the best I'd say, but its two sequels have been very worthy. 'twas an awesome experience!!! 8/10
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby LaDracul on Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:45 pm

Thank you to Cleolinda (The Movies in 15 Minutes gal) who explained what the hell was going on with the servitude of the Flying Dutchman.

http://cleolinda.livejournal.com/511079.html#cutid1

So, those sons of Vondrook writers really didn't explain that he COULD get out of that servitude and spend the rest of his life with her explicitly. Man, and I'm the one that finds all these details in other movies and I miss that they had based some of this off an opera called "The Flying Dutchman"....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Dutchman

I feel a little dumb now.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:27 am

Overall pretty entertaining 7/10

Sure it could have used some tweaks here and there, mostly when I found a joke not to be funny.

And like others I was a bit disapointed at the lack of a huge final battle instead of just two ships fighting.

Stuff that confused me: When the pirate used random junk to seal calypso what was with the coins Beckett had on his desk. At first I thought he already had gathered the from the pirte lords.
And how come that Sao Feng and me seemed to be the only ones not to know that Tia Dalma was Calypso.

Now I've totaly confused myself again and I don't know what else I wanted to post.

Post over
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Zarles on Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:35 pm

Checked it out for a second time last night, and this time in digital projection. If you can find a DLP screen near you, it's worth at least a matinee just to see how much better a film like this can look in digital.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:56 am

According to Xinhua, the Chinese state news agency, Chow Yun-fat's role in the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie was censored for "for vilifying and defacing the Chinese and insulting Singapore."

Bwah! Methinks they know too much :lol:
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:00 am

Heh. Sometimes I wonder if censorship like this does more harm than good, but what do I know? I mean, I think the audience would be able to distinguish between the character of Sao Feng, who's a pirate, and China in general.

Did it say what parts would be edited out monkey?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:06 am

They have apparently cut down scenes involving Chow. At first they said it was due to violence, now this. Will be interesting to see how it plays in comparison to the "street" DVD... The 2nd film was banned entirely due to its horror and occult influences (read China was releasing other domestic commerical competitive movies at the same time).
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Big craziness on talk of Pirates 4. Jules Verne-esque flying machines? Atlantis? Dinosaurs? Blackbeard?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new.php?id=5506

There's also talk of dropping Will and Elizabeth from it completely and making it a Jack Sparrow solo joint.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:15 pm

Pirates makes for exciting big screen action on the high seas - but can we minimize Knightley's lines. Ughhh! She is so painful to watch. She delivers lines as wooden as Ali McGraw or Candice Bergen. She is beautiful but gosh that chick can't act.

*Note: This is my opinion on her acting ability, it's okay to think otherwise* hah!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:20 pm

I think she's at least decent. She does the comedic stuff better than the dramatic, though. For the jawline alone, I give her a pass. ;)
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:23 pm

If China wanted to do the job properly, they'd ban the entire film and not put their populace through the ordeal.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:25 pm

Good point, fried. They've got to get back to work making POTC Happy Meal toys, anyway.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:25 pm

if they could handle the ordeal of SR then POTC:3 will be a breeze.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:31 pm

It's a shame Gore Verbinski didn't have the sense to edit the film down. China's just trying to do their cinema-goers a favour.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:39 pm

to each his/her own. i found it a fairly short 2.75 hours and didn't think there were any real lulls or slow spots that weren't advancing the story.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:04 pm

I honestly don't think they should do a solo joint with Jack Sparrow. He is the most iconic character, but I'm not sure he can carry his own film.
Last edited by Ribbons on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:04 pm

I found it just right. Call it extravagant if you want, but it was a whole lot more intelligent than your average summer movie fare.

:: cough Fantastic Four cough ::
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:24 pm

Ribbons wrote:I honestly don't think they should do a solo joint with Jack Sparrow. He is the most iconic character, but I'm not sure he can carry his own film.

but i do think that if Rush were to be in it, along with perhaps a newly introduced main character, a POTC movie minus Will & Elizabeth could be very entertaining.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:39 pm

I'd love to see a really cool chick pirate. That's the one thing POTC has always lacked--I don't count Elizabeth as one, even if she does earn her own ship. The only chick pirates they managed to come up with was the lackluster AnaMaria, and that scary Japanese one...and she was just a background character.

I want to see a girl pirate who's on par with Barbossa for sheer badassery. Like Geena Davis in Cutthroat Island only with a better script.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:19 pm

Peven wrote:to each his/her own. i found it a fairly short 2.75 hours and didn't think there were any real lulls or slow spots that weren't advancing the story.

Story?

Zarles wrote:I found it just right. Call it extravagant if you want, but it was a whole lot more intelligent than your average summer movie fare.

:: cough Fantastic Four cough ::

Intelligent?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:24 pm

Yes, intelligent and with a story. Perhaps you missed the whole 'to each his/her own' thing in those quotes.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:50 pm

I'm just looking for an explanation, to clarify why one would consider the film, and story, intelligent.

I found the story to be a complete mess, with the characters sailing from one place to another for no good reason other than to have something to do with 3 hours to kill.

Nothing of any real significance happens. Just a bunch of stuff.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Will Scarlet on Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:10 pm

Having been devastated at what happened to Will in the end of Pirates 3, I did come across something interesting via a friend who is an Orlando Bloom fan...

That apparently an additional bit was filmed, of Tia Dalma aka Calypso and Davy Jones talking, and because Elizabeth has been true to Will for 10 years, she has agreed to release him, and that is why as the ship sails in, Will is no longer wearing black, but is wearing a white shirt--it is so signify a new beginning ie life for him and Elizabeth. Is is also why he is standing on the mast and his father is now at the wheel of the boat...

Has anyone else heard this pirate tale?

W.S.
Will Scarlet
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Cockblocker on Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:08 pm

Will Turner is one of the most successful cockblockers in cinematic history! Not only did he succeed in cockblocking James Norrington in the first film and ended up with the girl, he managed to make her stay faithful to him for ten years while he was off on cockblocking missions all over the world!
The Cockblocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby LaDracul on Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:32 pm

I did hear something from the Chinese release of the film...they cut out all the parts with Sao Feng because they think he was an insult to the Chinese.

First of all, Sao Feng was a real person, but he preferred to dress in colorful silks. I don't think that would've gone over well with someone who is supposed to be pretty bad.

Secondly, if you don't have Sao Feng, how do you explain Elizabeth becoming a Pirate Lord?

I still think whoever makes those decisions there has their head up their ass.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:59 pm

The Cockblocker wrote:Will Turner is one of the most successful cockblockers in cinematic history! Not only did he succeed in cockblocking James Norrington in the first film and ended up with the girl, he managed to make her stay faithful to him for ten years while he was off on cockblocking missions all over the world!

hahahaha
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion