Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Now w/ Shiny!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

On a scale of 4...

No votes
4%
4%
4%
26%
No votes
9%
17%
No votes
13%
DVD 4 Ever!
22%

Total votes : 23

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Now w/ Shiny!!!)

Postby bastard_robo on Thu May 31, 2007 4:22 am

I like it... Then again I was one of like 8 people in the world that actually liked the first one... Had its flaws, but I liked it!

This one just feels... right... yeah.. feels right...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Now w/ Shiny!

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu May 31, 2007 4:29 am

bastard_robo wrote:I like it... Then again I was one of like 8 people in the world that actually liked the first one... Had its flaws, but I liked it!

This one just feels... right... yeah.. feels right...

Count me among that 8 as well. I also thought that this new trailer wasn't bad. I actually kind of dig the humor. Especially that last bit with Sue and Reed. Is this direction ideal? No. But I think for a hollywood version of FF it isn't all that far off. Maybe that is just me being an apologist or whatever, but I have kind of come to accept the fact that it will be a long time before we see an ideal version of Fantastic Four on screen. What we are now getting is close enough that I am willing to accpet it and I am fully capable of enjoying it for what it is.

All of that being said, I can totally understand why others wouldn't feel the same way. I have made certain concessions that others aren't willing to make.
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Thu May 31, 2007 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Now w/ Shiny!

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 31, 2007 5:24 am

Leckomaniac wrote:I have made certain concessions that others aren't willing to make.

Sorry... :oops: I actually agree with what you said for the most part. I just wanted to make the joke.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu May 31, 2007 5:48 am

I was wondering if anyone has been able to find a higher quality version of the newest trailer? Watching on YouTube sucks all kinds of ass.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Thu May 31, 2007 6:44 am

Adam Balm wrote:*scrapes eyeballs with wire brush*

Can I borrow your brush please?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Fried Gold on Thu May 31, 2007 7:01 am

doglips wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:*scrapes eyeballs with wire brush*

Can I borrow your brush please?

I find Brillo pads work quite well, and release a soapy scent which easily masks the smell as well.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu May 31, 2007 7:10 am

colonel_lugz wrote:This movie is dead to me

I stand by this
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu May 31, 2007 7:26 am

OOoOOO I wanna see it. Stupid Work computer...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu May 31, 2007 8:39 am

I like it! Did you see Human Torch go all stretchy and sling shot around that building! WHOO!O@O!O@!#4q4 n n
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Thu May 31, 2007 11:06 am

I think they're trying to make Alba look more professional, more like an engineer. Unfortunately, she looks younger than ever. That isn't helped by lines like, "Ya think?!"

Yes, burl, the shot of the Torch slinging around the building is mega-cool. Too bad he didn't absorb Ben's power, too, and go all rocky with that big hand he's using to slam the Surfer. Johnny Super-Skrull!

Too bad I'll probably dislike this one as much as the first. Netflix, here I come.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby unikrunk on Thu May 31, 2007 11:44 am

man, if only they had gone with the draft that had them in the 60's, fab four style; I think Peyton Reed was attached to wrtie and direct at one point.

Watch Down with Love, and imagine the FF instead of Obi-Wan and Renee Z.

/looks pretty good in my mind's eye

EDIT -@The Todd - and no singing.
Last edited by unikrunk on Thu May 31, 2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Todd on Thu May 31, 2007 11:51 am

unikrunk wrote:Watch Down with Love, and imagine the FF instead of Obi-Wan and Renee Z.

I don't think Jessica Alba or Chris Evans have the singing voices that Ewan and Renee have. But I do hear that Chiklis does an awesome cover of Cher's "If I Could Turn Back Time"
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Thu May 31, 2007 11:54 am

The Todd wrote:
unikrunk wrote:Watch Down with Love, and imagine the FF instead of Obi-Wan and Renee Z.

I don't think Jessica Alba or Chris Evans have the singing voices that Ewan and Renee have. But I do hear that Chiklis does an awesome cover of Cher's "If I Could Turn Back Time"

You heard right; its moving.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu May 31, 2007 11:59 am

unikrunk wrote:
The Todd wrote:

You heard right; its moving.

bowel-moving

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby unikrunk on Thu May 31, 2007 12:00 pm

Pevs - how many times do I have to say this; get OUT of my HEAD!

/it hurts, dude.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu May 31, 2007 12:06 pm

i've tried, its scary in here, but i can't find the exit.

now, to keep from being reprimanded for going off-topic.............i think FF2 looks as if it will be a crowd pleaser for kids, families, those who aren't comic-centric.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu May 31, 2007 2:40 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:New Trailer

Ugh.

Just... ugh.

Please, just stop with the "humor."
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby The Todd on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:41 am

The Garbage Man wrote:Fox has partnered with the Franklin Mint to produce U.S. quarters featuring the Silver Surfer.

What the fucking hell? The federal government partners with a movie studio to produce legal tender as advertisement for a movie... and the movie they go with is the sequel to Fantastic Four?

More on that coin.....

'Fantastic Four' Coin Is Illegal
A promotional Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer coin to celebrate the movie's release has been deemed illegal. Marketing bosses collaborated with Franklin Mint to create 40,000 new coins featuring the Silver Surfer's image on one side and George Washington's face on the other, but the commemorative item contravenes tough U.S. laws on producing money. A spokesperson for the U.S. Mint says, "The promotion is in no way approved, authorized, endorsed or sponsored by the United States Mint, nor is it in any way associated with the United States Mint." The coins were distributed in America before Memorial Day weekend in a bid to encourage fans to log on to the website to win film-related prizes. But it is a federal crime to turn any form of legal tender into advertising, and the makers of the coin are likely to face a fine. Fox alleges it was unaware of any problem with producing the money, and never suggested "that there was any approval from the U.S. Mint or the U.S. government." The Franklin Mint says, "(The coins are) commemorative coins like many the Franklin Mint creates on a regular basis for various properties. We were confident this coin followed the same procedures and guidelines but will certainly take any steps if advised otherwise."
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:13 am

BWAHAHAHAH!!

Some putz inna the marketing department, he's a gonna to lose his a job over a this one, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby buster00 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:53 pm

Meanwhile, StarPulse has the latest regarding The Battle of the Fantasti-Codpieces.

Among the highlights: "(Gruffudd) says, 'There's been much debate about my groin area on these movies. I started out wearing a codpiece underneath the suit and, of course, everyone's eyes just locked onto it because it looked so massive. Then the memos started arriving saying we needed to make it smaller. So it got smaller and smaller until I was more like Action Man.'"

Gruffudd is playing a man with elastic powers. Just how big should his dick appear?

I know how I would strut around if I had elastic powers, I can tell ya that.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wiccan Woman on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:05 pm

buster00 wrote:Meanwhile, StarPulse has the latest regarding The Battle of the Fantasti-Codpieces.

Among the highlights: "(Gruffudd) says, 'There's been much debate about my groin area on these movies. I started out wearing a codpiece underneath the suit and, of course, everyone's eyes just locked onto it because it looked so massive. Then the memos started arriving saying we needed to make it smaller. So it got smaller and smaller until I was more like Action Man.'"

Gruffudd is playing a man with elastic powers. Just how big should his dick appear?

Please, we're in the land of the American Puritan Ethic - Joe Q Public would probably prefer something like this...
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:21 am

Looks like FF2 just recieved a PG rating...

ComingSoon.net reports that the MPAA has given Fox's Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer a PG rating for sequences of action violence, some mild language and innuendo. The first film received a PG-13 rating for sequences of intense action, and some suggestive content.

I was hoping this second film would be bigger and more intense not the other way around.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:21 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Looks like FF2 just recieved a PG rating...

ComingSoon.net reports that the MPAA has given Fox's Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer a PG rating for sequences of action violence, some mild language and innuendo. The first film received a PG-13 rating for sequences of intense action, and some suggestive content.

I was hoping this second film would be bigger and more intense not the other way around.

I didn't know that my expectations could fall further for this, but there they go...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:37 am

Yeah there goes The Thing dropping all his usual F-Bombs.......oh wait.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:46 am

I think I'll still go see this...

if just for the off chance of hearing a kid say

"Mommy...

why is colossus naked?"
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Now w/ Shiny!!!)

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:45 am

Well, as seeing how they managed to get and ALIEN AND PREDATOR movie a fucking PG13! Based on the fact that all the violence was towards the monsters, I guess that SUPER POWER FIGHTS with an Alien from space that Rides a surfboard isnt going to be putting violent thoughts into kids heads any time soon.

And honestly, the stories that this movie was pulled from were no more violent that a PG..

SHIT! STAR WARS GOT AWAY WITH F"N PG RATING FOR 5 MOVIES! 5 MOVIES!!!!!!!!

AND LIMBS WERE DISSMEMBERD IN THOSE FILMS!!!!!!!!!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:33 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Looks like FF2 just recieved a PG rating...

Almost every Starwars movie was PG.

The Fantastic Four Comics that I read were always PG type material.

How does PG mean it won't be "intense"? It could possibly mean that they are done with the naked invisible woman joke.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:43 am

It’s not the rating that is going to make this movie suck balls...

It’s the movie.

I do not care for any of the casting, save Thing, and Story is not really getting his directing chops down.

I will give this film a shot on cable, or maybe even rent the DVD, but I will be fucked if I go to the theater to watch this.

/professional naysayer, unikrunk. Thank you, thank you all.
//and before anyzoner starts with the 'then why are you posting in this thread' crap, just stow it. Liking something is not requisite for posting about it.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:48 am

Balls to you, Naysayer - this film looks to be a considerable improvement on the first film, which itself wasn't half as dreadful as people say it was.

Watch it on cable by all means - I'm catching those visuals and that high-speed chase as its meant to be seen - on the big screen and with top-notch sound.

Remember - small screens make for small opinions :P
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:13 pm

First review is up on the main site. This about sums it up:

MEMFLIX wrote:'Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer' is a disrespectful, sleight of hand circus show devoid of any elements that make a movie a movie.

Ouch.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:16 pm

The dude admits he's a hater when he says something something about not understanding the appeal of the first film. Anyway loads of bad movies are entertaining, but man, the more clips I see of this the more embarassed I am for the heritage of the property. Yikes. Some of the clips look like they are from some Shazam-level 70s Saturday Morning Hell.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby buster00 on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:39 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote: Yikes. Some of the clips look like they are from some Shazam-level 70s Saturday Morning Hell.

This movie's gonna tank, I tells ya.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:46 pm

Whoa, what is with the "n-word" creeping into teh Zone of late? Maintain the quarantine!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:48 pm

?@?!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:58 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:?@?!

Taken from another thread, but more illustrative of my point:

unikrunk wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:
unikrunk wrote:And Burl, for the sake of your lone nut, with the naysaying everywhere lately; you okay?

Not exactly what you caught me NAYSAYING here, but I was under the impression it's still okay to give your opinions on things, even if they are negative. And so what if most of my opinions on current movies/tv are negative? It doesn't mean I am an unhappy person or that my expectations are out of whack, it just means there good movies and tv and comics ARE possible... just improbable in this day and age.

Cry me a river, NAYSAYER. You've been a grouch lately, and I for one am done with it.

:shock:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby doglips on Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:00 pm

Don't know if any of you have already seen these clips - Newsarama has an interview with the writer of FF2 up.

Clip 2 will make you pamp and then you'll want to punch your screen out.

I can't bring myself to watch the other two.

The guy is a total douche.

EDIT - I watched them - LAME.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Flumm on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:14 am

Roy Stalin! wrote:
harry -

I just came from a UK screening at Leicester square and Memflix couldn't be further from the truth.

First, I seriously doubt Memflix actually saw the film -there is not ONE thing in his "review" that is not in the trailers, or the novel. He just wants to be the first to dump on the film. I asked this guy from Fox about other screenings and he said this was the first screening ANYWHERE, so I know Memflix is lying and trying to seem like he’s got the goods.

To prove I actually saw the film, I will give up some spoilers –

first, they show us shots of the real Galactus in this film. Not a cosmic storm, but the horned badass we all wanted to see. You see him several times, including when the Surfer goes into him at the end of the film and you see the helmet full on.

Another spoiler, at the very end of the film (in the middle of the credits) there is a shot that promises a stand-alone SS movie. The Surfer has momentarily beaten Galactus and the last shot of the movie shows him hovering around earth.

Want another one? Johnny steps up and becomes a real hero at the end of this one. He puts
aside his ego and takes on ALL the FF's powers and beats the crap out of Doom. Another one? Doom comes back from Latveria and teams with the FF to defeat the Surfer. Julian McMahon is excellent - he really becomes Doom in this one. After the FF and Doom capture the Surfer, the Surfer tells Sue about his past and about how she reminds him of his love on Zenn-La and how he serves as the herald in order to spare his world. The plot is straight from the origins of the Surfer – he has come to earth to prepare it for Galactus but the FF’s humanity re-awakens that last part of Norrin Radd within him.

BOTTOM LINE: IT'S ALL IN THERE.

This film is COOL AS BALLS. This film is such a BIG step up from the first film. The action kicks ass and the FF step up to save the world. There are 5 BIG sequences, including one where they save our beloved London Eye from toppling into the Thames. That got a big reaction from this crowd. It's got the Fantasticar doing some great stuff, including a sweet
bit where it splits into pieces to avoid Super-Doom (who has taken the power cosmic). It's got a HOT Jessica Alba. Chiklis IS Ben Grimm. Memflix is just a hater. Go see the film. I had a great time, so will you.

Roy Stalin

IPAMPILASH!

Uh... and that's all she wrote/photosynthesised...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:20 am

Yeah...I don't trust any of these reviews. I'll just wait and see for myself next week in the theatre.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:22 am

come on everybody, it's COOL AS BALLS. That's a pretty sterling endorsement right there.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby unikrunk on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:24 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Yeah...I don't trust any of these reviews. I'll just wait and see for myself next week in the theatre.

Me too.

/I am going to wait for you to see it in the theatre
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:49 am

Wtf, don't you think it's a bit much to slam me in your sig?

Anyway, I of course am going to wait to see this in theaters too and draw my own conclusions. But boy I hope the movie is more like the second review than the first. That would be cool as balls.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby minstrel on Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:13 am

I doubt I'll be interested in this film. I hate the idea of Johnny getting all the powers. I hate it. Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate it.

Go ahead, call me a hater, but I hate it.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:19 am

I am a little disappointed with that too, only because Super Skrull is such a fun foil for the team, and now people would be all "been there done that lol".

But at the same time, there is a chance that we would NEVER see Super Skrull on film, so I am kind of geeked about seeing his set of powers in action.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:48 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:there is a chance that we would NEVER see Super Skrull on film, so I am kind of geeked about seeing his set of powers in action.

I think that's the exact reason they are doing it.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:57 pm

Roy Stalin! wrote:

This film is COOL AS BALLS.

I'm not sure about the film yet, but since when did balls become "cool"?

I don't know about you guys, but mine tend to be kinda warm.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:17 pm

Maybe he meant like these.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:47 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:But at the same time, there is a chance that we would NEVER see Super Skrull on film,

Correction: There was a chance before. Now there's an absolute certainty.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:31 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Maybe he meant like these.

Those balls look like they'd be fun to play with
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:45 pm

Exactly.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby wonkabar on Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:21 pm

I don't like kicking them as much as I used to though, I much prefer to use my hands
Last edited by wonkabar on Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion