Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Now w/ Shiny!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

On a scale of 4...

No votes
4%
4%
4%
26%
No votes
9%
17%
No votes
13%
DVD 4 Ever!
22%

Total votes : 23

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:31 pm

why don't you two just get a room

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:05 pm

Dang, looks like Memflix has been fired over his FF:RSS review. Both by AICN, and his job in RL:

I built, screened, and broke down the movie prints for the trade and press screenings. Because of the Fantastic Four review, I was fired(they said ’suspended until further notice, but after the chastising I received today, they have no intention of bringing me back. Now, I am unemployed and quite frankly, pretty pissed. I don’t blame aintitcool, in fact, I enjoy their site even more for letting me write reviews for them in the past.
BEWARE ‘THE MAN’! Never bet against ‘em. The house always wins.

Bummer.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:16 pm

Ouch. But that is the risk I guess. I mean he had to have known it was always a possibility. Still, it is never good when something like this happens. Bummer indeed.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:40 pm

Roy Stalin wrote:This film is COOL AS BALLS.

Feh. Roy Stalin would say something like that. D00sh.

/only speaks French
//doesn't speak imbecile
///skiing on one ski
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:43 pm

Er, correction: I don't think he was fired by AICN. I think what he was talking about there is that by being fired from his RL job, he's lost the access he'd need to do the advance reviews and sneak peeks and stuff.

Still sucks though.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:48 pm

When I read it I didn't even see that you said he was fired from AICN, but I suppose you are right that by losing his job he has lost access to the stuff he needs to write reviews.

But like I said...he had to know the risks. I mean he worked in a position that gave him access and because he used that access to write reviews he was a target. It sucks that it happened, but I think he knew it was a possibility. I mean he must have been asked not to send in advance reviews or else there is no reason for him to have been suspended.

That SUCKS BALLS!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:07 pm

Brit-reveiwer says FF2 is "OK" (better than the first)

10 June 2007
FANTASTIC FOUR 2: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER
Fantasy Cert: PG
Bacon

IF you were offered the choice, readers, what super-power would you go for?

What about total invisibility, so no one knows you're there? (Although you can get that just by becoming a Lib Dem MP.)

The power to make Big Brother contestants explode just by looking at them? (Don't all rush at once, it's just hypothetical.)

Me, I want the power to enjoy bad films. Really predictable and unoriginal romcoms? Love 'em! Stupid, plodding, cliched horrors? More! Anything with Sienna Miller and Orlando Bloom? Bring it on!

Although even a superpower like that might prove no defence when it comes to 2005's boring, slow and badly-made Fantastic Four. But don't take my word for it. See what top film critic Richard Bacon said at the time: "It commits the three worst crimes a superhero movie can - it takes too long to get going, it's badly made and it's dull. So utterly dull."

So I was full of apprehension before going to see FF2. But compared to the first one, it's a masterpiece. Mind you, compared to the first one, even your dad's holiday movies are a masterpiece.

The Fantastic Four get special powers when radiation hits their spaceship (don't try this with your microwave).

Scientist Reed Richards (Wales's underused Ioan Gruffudd) is Mr. Fantastic, an elastic band with a PhD. His fiance Sue Storm (Jessica Alba, who's not the best choice for this to happen to) can turn invisible.

Her brother Johnny (Chris Evans - no, not that one) can turn into a fireball, and their pal Ben (Michael Chiklis) is the Thing, a strong man made of rocks. Good God, that costume looks like it was made from scratch 20 minutes before the cameras started rolling. It's atrocious.

Thankfully, along comes the villain - the Silver Surfer (voiced by Laurence Fishburne), a nude fella made of stainless steel on a surfboard.

Sounds rubbish, but he's almost invulnerable, he's pre paring Earth for destruction, he's got all the good CGI effects, and every scene he's in is entertaining.

One thing they've got right in FF2 is there's action right from the start. But you see loads of smaller flaws you'd not noticed in the first.

The characters are dull, the actors aren't comfortable, it's pitched at hyperactive kids. Lots of the lines are corny... but even with all this, it's still much, much better than the first.

So I'll end with a fantastic four-word summing-up: This. Film. Is. OK.

Source
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:30 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Er, correction: I don't think he was fired by AICN. I think what he was talking about there is that by being fired from his RL job, he's lost the access he'd need to do the advance reviews and sneak peeks and stuff.

Still sucks though.

I wonder how they figured out it was him. I mean I'm sure there are ways that aren't too complicated, but I am a little curious as to what happened behind the scenes.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:44 pm

hey Balm, where did you find that quote?

if he wrote a positive review, do you think he still would've gotten fired?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:18 pm

Aye, shame to think of a guy losing his job to forward us schlubs some scoopage - on FF2:2 of all things to boot.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it somehow a little strange to think of "scoops", in the context we mean them, to be events that have real-world concequences.

((

*tries not to imagine whatn an elaborate Tim Story torture chamber would look like*

*...it would be garish, not really quite as elaborate as intended and yet still somehow elaborately boring, even for said victim of the tastless, buttery textured ( but super-super-sized!) imaginations and the resultant torture devices of meh'dom at his foppishly enfeebled biddings*

))

Not that I'm ever not aware of the way this works or what end of the machinations I operate on, just something like this just throws a little light on the side of the situation I don't often find myself thinking of, I suppose.

Anyhow, I'll hope, seing as the nature of the vocation and he probably feels all smoochy towards movies and stuff, that it wasn't his dream position in life, at least in that particular place of employment, and that he shuffles on to something better.

At least we still have Roy Stalin.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:25 pm

His torture chamber is probably sponsered by Dodge too.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:26 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:hey Balm, where did you find that quote?

if he wrote a positive review, do you think he still would've gotten fired?

It was up on his site:

http://www.memflixbeyond.com/

I think if it was positive, and he was found out, he might get some kind of reprimand or something. But I doubt they would work as hard to find him if he did. Just my gut feeling.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:28 pm

I feel bad for the guy: not only is he called a liar by some leafy green douche and put through the TB gauntlet, but he ends up losing his job. The cherry on the shit-sundae is that this is all over something as stupid as the fucking Fantastic Four sequel.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:32 pm

Yeah it looks like this all happened because the review was negative. Someone over at Fox called the VP and the witch hunt began.

That is just no good and I am having a hard time deciding whether or not I want to support this film. I am excited to see FF2 but fuck FOX man. If your film sucks don't screw over a low level screener...make better movies. It is that simple.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:05 pm

Yeah, I feel bad just a little. He knew the risks he was taking. You know what they say: Don't shit where your bread is buttered... or something to that effect.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby LaDracul on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:11 pm

Lecko, I hope they realized that with "Eragon" and hope that they will do things right with "Eldest"...

Anyway, I was surprised that it was rated PG. Dammit, so much for more stuff like Johnny and the suggestively knotted parka he wore in the first film...

LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby wonkabar on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:25 pm

Here's another...

[quote]
THE FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER

* * ½

STARRING: Michael Chiklis, Ioan Gruffudd, Chris Evans, Jessica Alba

2007, 92 Minutes, Directed by:Tim Story

Description: The Fantastic Four learn that they aren't the only super-powered beings in the universe when they square off against the powerful Silver Surfer and the planet-eating Galactus.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer should have been titled Fantastic Four: Waiting for Galactus instead.

The Waiting for Godot reference is deliberate. Waiting for Godot, if you’ll recall, is an absurdist play by Samuel Beckett about two transients named Vladimir and Estragon who spend the entire duration of the play waiting for a character named Godot. Godot however never pitches up and nothing much really happens in the play. The same goes for Fantastic Four 2. Not much really happens as well and even though Galactus does eventually show up, he might as well not have bothered at all.

The original 2005 Fantastic Four was a minor entry in the superhero movie genre, sandwiched between much superior efforts such as Batman Begins, X-2 and Spider-man 2. Much to the disappointment of fans of the original Marvel comic book, this medium-budgeted movie showed a lack of imagination especially when one considers the wilder “out thereâ€
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:47 pm

Description: The Fantastic Four learn that they aren't the only super-powered beings in the universe . . .

DUH. There's that dude who swings on webs, and those other cats from upstate with the cool plane . . .

Oh wait, they aren't intertwined.

That itself DISTURBS me to no end. If they only CROSSOVER the movies, a la comics.

Oh well.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby LaDracul on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:02 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Description: The Fantastic Four learn that they aren't the only super-powered beings in the universe . . .

DUH. There's that dude who swings on webs, and those other cats from upstate with the cool plane . . .

That itself DISTURBS me to no end. If they only CROSSOVER the movies, a la comics.

Oh well.

Damn, I was hoping to see Spidey get handed with Johnny's idea of a replacement costume from "Secret Wars". :)
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:23 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:

Oh well.

Ugh god no. That's the only thing that keeps the films feasibly interesting. Why would the general public somehow differentiate between mutants and other super powered humans to discriminate against the mutants?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:04 pm

'But I'm Stan Lee.' Heh.

Otherwise, meh. I wouldn't pay to see this multi-million dollar pile of dogshit even if I got to sit on Jessica Alba's tiny little lap while watching it.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:25 pm

Zarles wrote:'But I'm Stan Lee.' Heh.

Otherwise, meh. I wouldn't pay to see this multi-million dollar pile of dogshit even if I got to sit on Jessica Alba's tiny little lap while watching it.

It would probably be more interesting if she was sitting on yours ...
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:25 pm

Zarles wrote:'even if I got to sit on Jessica Alba's tiny little lap while watching it.

I wouldn't want to crush her. If she was sitting on my lap I wouldn't mind but my legs would probably go numb halfway through the film.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:26 pm

minstrel wrote:

She can sit on my lap, and I will sit on Zarles lap. Minstrel, you want top?
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:30 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
minstrel wrote:[quot e="Zarles"]'But I'm Stan Lee.' Heh.

She can sit on my lap, and I will sit on Zarles lap. Minstrel, you want top?[/quote]

No thanks. I'll be over here with my video camera.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:40 pm

minstrel wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:[quot e="minstrel"]

She can sit on my lap, and I will sit on Zarles lap. Minstrel, you want top?

No thanks. I'll be over here with my video camera.[/quote]

HAHA!

You better keep both your hands on it.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:47 pm

Whoa. We're gonna snap that little girl in two like a toothpick. Big fun. Hey, at least she'll be out of the picture and they'll be forced to pick someone for FF3 that ACTUALLY FITS THE PART. :evil:

Yet another reason that the whole FF franchise is aimed at 9-year-olds - that overrated little beanpole. She was fine swinging her rope around in Sin City, but I think she needs to stick with showing her ass in garbage like 'Into The Blue'.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:41 pm

I had such low expectations for FF that it surpassed them. Not great, perhaps not even good, but I enjoyed it. FF2 looks in that vein. I'm just gonna giggle at Lauren Fishburne sounding the opposite of the Silver Surfer and pray that Chris Evans realises that you can't look down at an acting job and act better than it if you're not prepared to try and make the character even fractionally likeable.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:48 pm

IMHO I think the only part that was cast well was Johnny Storm. Maybe Chris Evans would have felt a bit more natural if he worked with a different cast?

*prepares for everyone to lash out at me*

@Kaga-Yea that rubber suit makes him look so much smaller then he maybe should be. I always imagined a much bulkier Hulk-like Thing. But, whatyagonnado?
Last edited by godzillasushi on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:49 pm

I still think Chiklis is a good Ben though I think Ben should be CG not a rubber suit.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:52 pm

I like that he's not CG....I'm sick of CG.

They could have maybe done a better job on the suit, but at least it's "there" y'know?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Chilli on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:54 pm

I don't mean that he was awful. No, he was okay. But the problem is he thinks he's better than it. The attitude of people like Weisz/Evans really annoys me when it comes to blockbusters. They take the money, but feel free to criticise them, saying they want to be looked at as these great big shining and talented actors. Well if you want that, don't do dumb films for the money you cretins.

Chikilis was excellent. Doom on the other hand - those one-liners are agonisinly shite.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby wonkabar on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:55 pm

Why the long face?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:57 pm

I just hope in 15 years they can reboot the franchise and make it more emotional. Add more depth. Deeper plots, better actors, and grander action set peices. If only they could have had that same emotional vibe that was present in the Spider-man's, Hulk, X-men, etc. Those characters are very believable and honest. Jessica Alba.....well.....she's not the scientist type.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:08 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Jessica Alba.....well.....she's not the scientist type.

Madness! I suppose you think the same about Denise Richards?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:12 pm

This makes no sense. In the movie she clearly wears glasses and, as we all know, glasses = scientist.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby wonkabar on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:13 pm

Dude, didn't you see? She was wearing glasses in a coupe shots

EDIT: FUCK...you beat me to it Ribbons!
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Zarles wrote:Whoa. She was fine swinging her rope around in Sin City.

STOP. No, she wasn't. If you believe that, you're lying to yourself and everyone else. I hate that so much attention is paid to get every detail of Sin City right, and then they ignore one of the main characters so much. Still irks me a bit.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:52 pm

wonkabar wrote:I like that he's not CG....I'm sick of CG.

They could have maybe done a better job on the suit, but at least it's "there" y'know?

I agree, and I remember when this was first announced, a lot of the fans felt the same way. Only now that they're not 100% pleased with the suit do they exclaim that he should be CGI. That weren't saying that back then.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:53 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:

I agree, and I remember when this was first announced, a lot of the fans felt the same way. Only now that they're not 100% pleased with the suit do they exclaim that he should be CGI. That weren't saying that back then.

I was because I don't harbor an irrational dislike of CG that most around AICN seem to. The whole "well it's realer" argument doesn't work for me because as long as it's not a man made of rock one is no more legitimate than the other in term of accomplishing the concept on screen.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:55 pm

I disagree, nacho. She wasn't Ingrid Bergman or anything, but at least she filled the part. Hey, if she wants to take supporting pretty-girl roles for the rest of her career, rock on. She just doesn't have the leading role thing in her at all.

The FF franchise was pretty much a whole lotta proverbial fish in a barrel, but at least for this go at it, it's ruined.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:12 pm

I think I should have added a winky face to my Alba post.....as you all have possibly taken it seriously. I am aware that she is not the scientist type....in a funny way.

But attacking Denise Richards....CROSSED THE LINE ON THAT ONE. She deals with nukes man, nukes and short shorts. She pulls it off without glasses.

.... :wink:

:twisted:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:28 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:

Exactly. I remember all the "NO CGI!" rants back in the day when they were thinking about doing the Thing that way.

Like I said, they could have maybe done The Thing better, but I think
some of that has to do with casting Chicklis. He's kinda short and they wanted him to have some bit of his face/facial-expression in there so you could tell it was him. If they had gotten a nobody they could have gone hardcore on the audio-animatronic aspect, which has supposedly advanced quite a bit over the years while Hollywood has looked the other way.

Bottom-line....despite the shitty Phantom Menace-puppet, and whatever ILM says, Empire-Yoda still schools CG-Yoda.

I can't help but think that... for the close-ups at least, that somebody could have come up with a much better designed (than the one in TPM) Yoda-puppet.
I think Lucas & Co. fucked TPM-Yoda ON PURPOSE, just so they could say "seeee"

Man, it's so easy to have an SW-relapse
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:41 pm

wonkabar wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:[quote ="wonkabar"]I like that he's not CG....I'm sick of CG.

Exactly. I remember all the "NO CGI!" rants back in the day when they were thinking about doing the Thing that way.

Like I said, they could have maybe done The Thing better, but I think
some of that has to do with casting Chicklis. He's kinda short and they wanted him to have some bit of his face/facial-expression in there so you could tell it was him. If they had gotten a nobody they could have gone hardcore on the audio-animatronic aspect, which has supposedly advanced quite a bit over the years while Hollywood has looked the other way.

Bottom-line....despite the shitty Phantom Menace-puppet, and whatever ILM says, Empire-Yoda still schools CG-Yoda.

I can't help but think that... for the close-ups at least, that somebody could have come up with a much better designed (than the one in TPM) Yoda-puppet.
I think Lucas & Co. fucked TPM-Yoda ON PURPOSE, just so they could say "seeee"

Man, it's so easy to have an SW-relapse[/quote]

"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:43 pm

Well if they initially preferred make-up but then balked after they saw the finished product, I don't really see what's so wrong about that. It's not like you're not allowed to change your mind. Also I think you guys are extrapolating a little bit here. I'm sure there are at least some people out there who've preferred CGI the entire time.

I personally preferred man in suit. Still do, I think. The foam wrinkles are kind of oogly, but I bet the Thing would be pretty difficult to computer animate well.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby wonkabar on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:45 pm

I thought Gollum was awesome though....which makes me wonder why the Silver-Surfer just looks kinda....meh
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:52 pm

Ribbons wrote:Well if they initially preferred make-up but then balked after they saw the finished product, I don't really see what's so wrong about that. It's not like you're not allowed to change your mind. Also I think you guys are extrapolating a little bit here. I'm sure there are at least some people out there who've preferred CGI the entire time.

You know its interesting you say that Ribbons, because I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I've fallen into a parrallel universe or something. I remember quite clearly at the time some early scoop pics of FF were released - EVERYONE was moaning about how the suit looked shit and how they should have gone the CGI route.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:56 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Well if they initially preferred make-up but then balked after they saw the finished product, I don't really see what's so wrong about that. It's not like you're not allowed to change your mind. Also I think you guys are extrapolating a little bit here. I'm sure there are at least some people out there who've preferred CGI the entire time.

You know its interesting you say that Ribbons, because I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I've fallen into a parrallel universe or something. I remember quite clearly at the time some early scoop pics of FF were released - EVERYONE was moaning about how the suit looked shit and how they should have gone the CGI route.

I think it went both ways. While what you are saying is true, I also recall when the film was first announced there were folks saying that they hoped it would be non-CGI because of how much they hated the HULK. I remember this because it really stands out in my mind as one of the great fanboy moments...complaining about CGI and hoping for man-in-suit and then complaining about man-in-suit and wishing it were CGI instead.

So both sides are right in this one. I distinctly remember people being vocal on both sides at different points during production.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:01 pm

Very well then Lecko - your word is my bond. I shall clamber back up on to my fence!!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:01 pm

Well at least they picked a good song to accompany FF2's release.

Amazing video too.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion