Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Now w/ Shiny!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

On a scale of 4...

No votes
4%
4%
4%
26%
No votes
9%
17%
No votes
13%
DVD 4 Ever!
22%

Total votes : 23

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:02 pm

I wanna fly to Lindsay Lohan's B'day in Vegas!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby doglips on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:05 pm

LOL, That would be preferable to watching that gentleman again.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:06 pm

doglips wrote:Well at least they picked a good song to accompany FF2's release.

Amazing video too.

Never heard that guy before, but I really, really don't like his music.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:13 pm

man that was like getting an STD in my ear. Thanks alot!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:25 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:man that was like getting an STD in my ear. Thanks alot!

Yeah that is probably the most accurate description of a song I have ever heard.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:40 am

I still kind figure out why anyone would be cruel enough to unleash this on the unsuspecting public. It's like 1000 times worse than the song from Dragnet! :'-(
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:48 am

I was in Leicester Square last night, out to see Spamalot, and saw the London Premiere with all the celebs and odd people standing on crates waving sheets around to look all fancy. I think I saw the two lead guys but then my care factor waned and I went to the pub. There were a hell of a lot of very excited people around. OOOing and AHHHing were a little bit odd. I can’t believe the amount of money they’re pumping into advertising on this. I’m not sure about the rest of the world but over here they have The silver Surfer EVERYWHERE! The London Eye, 3d Human sized statues sticking out of billboards all over town, Busses… it’s bloody everywhere. What are the campaigns like else were around the world?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:01 am

I know what you mean, Monkey - they've gone into overkill in London (but I suppose that's partly because it features fairly prominently in the movie).

For those who haven't seen it yet, here's the monstrosity on The London Eye:

The more I hear about this memflix business, the more I'm seriously considering boycotting the movie. If the stories are true, I think Fox have behaved atrociously over the whole thing (and people call us Mods dictators? Sheesh - you don't know you're born! :lol:)

Having said that, it might be more powerful if a few people DID see it - then wrote even harsher reviews than memflix's.

My only problem with this? I didn't hate the first one as much as a lot of people did, so I'm worried I'd give it a half-decent rating! I never expected to hear myself say that!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:51 am

I can't wait to see it actually. Not that I expect it to be good or anything, but simply because its one of those films I can relax to. My brain can shut off for however long the film is, and the fact that I'm not an FF fan-boy means I could give two tosses of a pot about inaccuracies.

Althought JM is pushing it as DD. If his one-liners are as bad as they were last time, I might need a strong drink.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:15 am

Chilli wrote:I can't wait to see it actually. Not that I expect it to be good or anything, but simply because its one of those films I can relax to. My brain can shut off for however long the film is.

That's pretty much why I liked the first one - just popcorny fun. Not something that's gonna make me lie awake at night wondering why a character had the initials LB written on her hand, or something like that.....:wink:

For me though, this summer there'll be one Popcorn Movie to Rule Them All.

It features giant friggin' robots.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:04 am

The Dino, he takes back anything bad he said about a the prospects of a this picture, anna I hope a she makes a the boatloads of a the money, eh?

(I just a remembered, she's onna my Fantasy Moguls list, heheheh....)
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby wonkabar on Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:45 pm

I'm sensing a theme/pattern here

Boycott-shmoycott...if you knew of all the fucked up things that studios pull all the time you wouldn't see ANY movies.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:08 am

wonkabar wrote:I'm sensing a theme/pattern here

Boycott-shmoycott...if you knew of all the fucked up things that studios pull all the time you wouldn't see ANY movies.

*Solemn nodding*

See it or don't see it, but base that on the film itself. Memflix-of-Arc has already been burned, indoctrinated into the Hall of Martyrs and served as a tasty kebab at Rothman's last Pool Party.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:18 am

wonkabar wrote:...if you knew of all the fucked up things that studios pull all the time you wouldn't see ANY movies.

I'm sure that's true. Doesn't make it any easier to accept a megolith stamping on an ant though (for me at least). Yup - I guess I WILL see it, I'll probably think it's ok too. But I'll still think that Fox behaved like infants over the review.

By the way - my cigar just burnt out - can I get another pls?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:42 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
wonkabar wrote:...if you knew of all the fucked up things that studios pull all the time you wouldn't see ANY movies.

I'm sure that's true. Doesn't make it any easier to accept a megolith stamping on an ant though (for me at least). Yup - I guess I WILL see it, I'll probably think it's ok too. But I'll still think that Fox behaved like infants over the review.

By the way - my cigar just burnt out - can I get another pls?

You got a big heart TitG and I love you for it. I'll join you for that smoke - just so long as we can go here:

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:49 am

Hell yeah!

Dare I ask....where is her cigar?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:52 am

You see, that's where the "5 Star" comes in....

(we'll just smoke our own I think)

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:40 am

Doc Holliday wrote:Memflix-of-Arc has already been burned, indoctrinated into the Hall of Martyrs and served as a tasty kebab at Rothman's last Pool Party.

:shock:

GAAAK!! SPLUUUURGHHH!!

Holy crappa!! I thought that was a the goddamn lamb!!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:19 pm

Well so far it's tracking at 31% at RottenTomatoes, not a significant change from the 26% that the first film had...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Now w/ Shiny!!!)

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:56 am

Harry's review is up on the main page... And... wait for it...

HE LIKES! HEY MIKEY! HE REALLY LIKES IT!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:02 am

Really? I can't see it. Link please.... :D

EDIT: Found it... had to clear my cache... thanks!

I'm a little surprised. He really seemed to like it. Better then the first but still not great seems to be the opinion now which is fine, I just wish that it was a great film... not just an ok film.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:24 am

Sorry, but that review seems a little off to me. Can't really put my finger on why, but it's like he liked it just for the sake of liking it. There are some real backhanded compliments in there.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:33 pm

I skipped out at lunch to go see the Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. While you have to give them credit for not just calling it FF2, there isn't much of a rise so much as it is an arrival. But I guess that's splitting hairs. If he had any.

Anyway...

So I broke ranks with the United Fanboys Against Fox and decided to see it with my own eyes in order to bring you all the straight dope.

Is the film good? No. Not really. But it's not bad in the way that Spiderman 3 was bad, i.e. the destruction of a potentially great trilogy. It wasn't even X3 bad, i.e. not nearly as bad as expected considering the massive production clusterfuck. No, this was more just bad as in "not good," i.e. "we don't even really care, let's just bang this puppy out by the numbers."

It's certainly better than the first, but that's not saying much. I don't mean that to be flippant. The first was just so "meh" and this is just "meh 2."

It's probably not deserving of the hate Memflix had for it, since the first didn't really try to achieve greatness either. Tim Story and Avi Arad set the tone for that film somewhere between "camp" and "comic book." FF2 is definitely in that same vein, with probably a heavier dose of the original comic's tone. It's by no means worthy of the praise heaped on it by "Roy," and his description of how you get to "see" Galactus is laughable. You can BARELY make out the vague shape of Galactus' helmet/head. We're talking the faintest hint of it... like they thought "we better give them something because this cloud idea is pretty goofy." Meh. Whatever.

On the subject of Galactus, they actually handle his arrival in the film with a bit of logic, in that the Surfer flies around on the planet, boring huge craters deep into the Earth's surface. Galactus' smokey tendrils then penetrate the craters in a graphic display of planetary rape. I don't know... maybe Story was trying to make some sort of Al-le-Gore-y. (Did you see what I did there?)

Once nice thing about the film is that it doesn't waste any time re-capping the first film, it just assumes you are familiar with the characters (and rightfully so) and just drops you in the new adventure. Even Spider-Man's opening credits re-caps have always bothered me, so it was nice not to have any of that.

The script is pretty lame, and Gruffud and Alba are T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E in their roles. Let me spell it out again. T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E. You can't even fathom how bad they are, especially with this script. Andre Braugher doesn't fare much better. As with the first, the "pops" and "snaps" come from Chiklis and Evans.

Now to be fair to the film, they really do try to get that "feel" from the early comics in there... they DO try. And sometimes it works, i.e. Ben and Johnny's scene in a local bar mid-way through the film, the in-fighting amongst themselves as they are about to go into a major confrontation (in front of an incredulous general), and the decent teamwork during the big London set piece. But unfortunately the movie comes of as entirely too lightweight considering the gravity of the storyline, i.e. the impending destruction of the Earth. When the script reminds of that, the scenes crumble under their own balsa wood constructs.

Oh, and the Surfer? TOTALLY reflective. 100% like a mirror. So fuck all y'all. :wink:

As far as the Surfer goes, he's actually handled pretty well too, in that they do give a rationale for the existence of the board and why he's on it, and how he uses it for other things than just flying through space. While Lawrence Fishburne's voice-over work is pretty lame, the actual Surfer looks pretty good. I actually think Doug Jones' voice would have worked out really well, so it's too bad they dubbed over it.

What is inconsistent is how his arrival affects things. In his first encounters with the Earth, we see that he seems to "freeze" things, i.e. he freezes an entire lake/bay in Japan, brings snow and ice to the pyramids of Giza, etc., but by the time he makes it to London and New York, they seem to have forgotten about that. It's little stuff like that that just reminds you everyone is totally phoning this whole film in.

And of course, the film brings back Dr. Doom, who is even worse in this one than he was in the first. Julian McMahon is completely miscast in this. And while they were wasting time with Fishburne on the Surfer's voice, they really should have been dubbing McMahon's voice out of the film. His first line as Doom is laughable, not so much in what he says but HOW he says it. Let's be honest... McMahon's voice is a bit on the whiny, snivelly side. It doesn't exactly fill you with dread. I was reminded of hearing Davey Jones speak in Pirates of the Caribbean, or seeing those outtakes from Star Wars before they took out David Prowse's voice and put in James Earle Jones' voice.

And I should add that his whole point in being in the film seems to be just to save money in the final battle, which is over before it barely starts.

The FX overall are pretty average, Most of the Surfer effects look good, and the flame effects, and I'll be honest the Galactus cloud looks good too, but the rest of the digital effects are really obvious and pretty cheap looking, although that may have been because of the digital theater presentation I was watching them in. The entire scene with the Fantasticar chasing down Doom is shown in such dim light that you can barely see anything, reminding me of the opening battle between Spidey and the Goblin in S3. And you just know that they threw the dark filter over everything to save money and hide the cheap FX. Boo! There's also some embarrassingly bad compositing work in some places, especially at the end in Japan. All of Reed's stretching FX are horrible, looking like they just used a souped-up version of Kai's Power Goo or something. They list WETA Digital in the credits, along with a number of other digital FX houses, but I don't really know who did what, except for WETA doing the Surfer and Galactus (I think).

Product placements abound, so much so that you'd think you were watching a Sony film. When we first see the arrival of the Fantasticar, what should be one of the coolest moments in the film turns into a freakin' DODGE commercial where it zooms in to show us the Dodge ram logo plastered across the front and Johnny asks Reed "Hemi?" and Reed says "of course."

So, if you liked the first one, you'll love this one too. It's just more of the same. Nothing really great, but you can't blame it for being bad because it never really aspires to be great to begin with. Very comic-booky, but for the Fantastic Four, maybe that's not such a bad thing?

Oh and the Stan Lee cameo is forced and totally out of continuity with the first film, which I thought was very nicely done and a nice homage to the comics.

I give it a 4 out of 10.

EDIT: Oh, and it bugs me that they changed Ben's "Aw, nertz" to "Aw, Crap!"
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:48 pm

PL4NT! :D
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby The Todd on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:52 pm

I am FOX, Winslows! wrote:Dear Mr. Khan,

Didn't you see what happened to Memflix? You're next!!!!!

Sincerely,

Rupert Murdoch
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:59 pm

The Todd wrote:
I am FOX, Winslows! wrote:Dear Mr. Khan,

Didn't you see what happened to Memflix? You're next!!!!!

Sincerely,

Rupert Murdoch

The pubicity just ain't the same twice.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Fawst on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:02 pm

Besides, the movie's officially out now, no reason to fire anyone else for their opinions ;)
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:02 pm

Product placements abound, so much so that you'd think you were watching a Sony film. When we first see the arrival of the Fantasticar, what should be one of the coolest moments in the film turns into a freakin' DODGE commercial where it zooms in to show us the Dodge ram logo plastered across the front and Johnny asks Reed "Hemi?" and Reed says "of course."

Good lord.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:14 pm

Zarles wrote:

Good lord.

Yah, that's the kind of scene that will induce douche chills like nobody's business...
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:51 pm

Fawst wrote:
Zarles wrote:

Good lord.

Yah, that's the kind of scene that will induce douche chills like nobody's business...

I saw a fake commercial last night during the trailers (when I saw Pirates 3) for the Dodge brand Fatasticar so this doesn't really surprise me.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:51 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:Product placements abound, so much so that you'd think you were watching a Sony film. When we first see the arrival of the Fantasticar, what should be one of the coolest moments in the film turns into a freakin' DODGE commercial where it zooms in to show us the Dodge ram logo plastered across the front and Johnny asks Reed "Hemi?" and Reed says "of course."

It's the manliest Fantisticar in America!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:53 pm

It was actually sort of humorous but it seems weird to advertise a fictitious item.
Thanks YouTube
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:01 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Thanks YouTube

Thanks Kaga. That does seem kind of weird; I think I remember fake car commercials right before Minority Report came out too, but I can't find it on YouTube.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:18 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:On a scale of 4...

I am flabbergasted that this poll actually goes all the way up to 10.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:53 am

Moriarty's first impression:

TheRealMoriarty wrote:Harry, My Friend...... I'm going to just assume that you are too busy these days, and that the pressure of programming 4884 free screenings at the Drafthouse in a month and getting married have scrambled your brains to a fine puree. Because, dude... this movie is ass. It is ass on a plate of ass, served with a fine ass sauce, with ass fries on the side and a lovely ass wine to wash it down.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:59 am

But what if, like me, you are really into ass?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:01 am

Well if you're selective enough in reading that, he actually does equate this movie with "fine ass". I think they should use that as a blurb.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:12 am

Drew has such a subtle way with words.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:43 am

Why do we have an option for DVD in these Polls? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of rating the film since some percentage of the poll goes towards people stating they haven't seen it and don't intend to while it's in theaters.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:03 am

Going to see Monday. As I have no expectations/love for the FF comic-book, I think I'll probably enjoy it.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:16 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:I skipped out at lunch to go see the Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

and then skipped to the loo...

'cuz the film was crap?

great review Cha-Ka.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:12 pm

Sooo... I take it NO ONE saw this last night?

I saw it.. Loved it! Better than the first... The surfer was perfect! Doom wasnt as big of a puss, and the fact Galactus wasnt really a "CLOUD" but something in the cloud...

Seeing it again tomarrow!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:27 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Sooo... I take it NO ONE saw this last night?

They did...

But they decided to post in the Review Thread...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:39 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:So oo... I take it NO ONE saw this last night?

They did...

Did not see that....

Thanks!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:41 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:So oo... I take it NO ONE saw this last night?

They did...

Did not see that....

Thanks!

No problemo...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Official FF2 Review Thread

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:31 am

Gave it an 8... I enjoyed the hell out of it!

Its a fun marvel movie.. Thought the tone of the film of spot on.

There were some minor things that I had quarrles with.. but nothing major.

The surfer was dead on!

And I wasnt upset about Galactus... as its not a movie about him, but about the surfer.. and the fact that Galactus wasnt actually a "CLOUD" but there was more inside kind aput things to rest for me.

I'll be seeing it again.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Kingdaddy on Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:24 am

Cha-Ka Khan ---- FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC REVIEW...only because I agree 100%.

It was a graze inn the nurdles, but nothing like the 250 million sledgehammer in the babymaker that was Spidey 3.

Kudos!
"Grab a net and catch that beautiful butterfly, pal!!!"
Kingdaddy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:52 pm

I would give this a 6 out of 10. The humor at the start was so fucking awful it actually knocked off a point for me. But once things kicked in with the plot, I actually got into it. All the Surfer stuff was fantastic, and I thought they brought Doom back in a logical way and integrated him into the plot nicely. But again, the guy needs to think ahead more. The first movie his sole idea was to kill the FF, this one was to get the board... but for what purpose? JOYRIDE! I mean, what is it he wants? I don't get it.

And I disagree about the subtlety of Galactus, Chaka. I thought it was pretty clear that the Galactus we all know and love was inside that thing. It was more than just a faded image to me, and the shadow over Saturn was COOL AS BALLS! And that image of Earth on the ass end of Galactus' space hurricane was a great image.

This was a pretty cheesy movie, but still enjoyable for me.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Seppuku on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:43 am

I'd probably agree with Burl to a T, though I'll give it 5/10 because:

a) those early jokes were REALLY awful

b) I've come to the conclusion that superheroes shouldn't try to dance.

c) Another case of a line from the trailer being different in the actual movie. In this case it was the scene where the Human Torch has to chase the Silver Surfer and kill his tux in the process. They changed it from something like, "Ah, but I just bought this tux!" to, "But this is Dolce..." Smells like a last-minute bit of money-weedling, if you ask me.

d) Speaking of which, there's one scene where they're ripping into blatant endorsements, whilst simultaneously trying to put the word Gillette into the shot as many times as possible.

e) They edited out the Silver Surfer's wang.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Fawst on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:05 am

Still haven't seen this, and won't til it's on On Demand through cable. The first one is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and that's not including just comic adaptations. I won't be giving them any money for this one. It's a catch 22 though. I want them to fail monetarily for this, because none of the reviews I've read that are positive really instill any hope at all for me. And to me, if they fail, they'll try harder. But the reality is that if they fail, they WON'T try harder. They won't even try, they'll just move on to the next flavor of the moment style of film. Maybe torture porn is next? *shrug*
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion