There Will Be Blood (SPOILERS!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

The black blood of the earth?!?

39%
25%
13%
11%
No votes
5%
if you rate it lower than 5, you suck!
7%

Total votes : 56

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:12 pm

Well, I don't know. How much time passed in-between Plainview's time with the Sunday family and the end of the film? About 15 years, right? So depending on how young Eli was to start with (maybe even in his teens), he wouldn't have been that old by the end of the film, although it is still a bit of a stretch.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:50 am

I'd also be willing to accept that the part with Eli at the end was Plainview hallucinating and imagining Eli as he remembered him and therefore still young.

And it's true, Eli was probably supposed to be 14 or so when the movie started so he'd just be in his early thirties or so at the end and considering Paul Dano is in his mid twenties they might've just figured he could split the difference and play both ages just by changing his comportment with no makeup. I think a mustache and some glasses would've helped though.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:03 pm

I think Kubrick smiles up there while watching TWBB....

Come on, travis. We both know Stanley is watching WHITE CHICKS.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby travis-dane on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:52 pm

Come on, travis. We both know Stanley is watching WHITE CHICKS.

And eats Chicken Wings....
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby papalazeru on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:33 pm

...and all while enjoying watching Uwe films.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby dablunt89 on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:38 pm

Anyone else think the director was hinting at some inappropriate affection between Plainview and the little girl Mary Sunday? Maybe I was reading too much into it, but the way he grabbed her as she was running and that look of pure horror on her face seemed to hint at something not explicitly shown. Or maybe being grabbed by a guy like Plainview is inherently intimidating. I hope this wasn't the case, as she ends up marrying his son and that would be all kinds of bizarre. There is no real right answer here, part of the mystery of the film, but did this cross your mind?

My thoughts on the movie: Great, with the exception of the end which, while funny, marginalized Plainview from a tragic character to just a monster. It was bound to happen I know, but once it does it just becomes predictably unpleasant, as opposed to theunpredictable unpleasantness of the first 3/4ths.
It doesn't have to make sense to be intense.
dablunt89
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:59 pm

dablunt89 wrote:Anyone else think the director was hinting at some inappropriate affection between Plainview and the little girl Mary Sunday? Maybe I was reading too much into it, but the way he grabbed her as she was running and that look of pure horror on her face seemed to hint at something not explicitly shown. Or maybe being grabbed by a guy like Plainview is inherently intimidating.

I actually saw this theory on the IMDB chat boards, so you're not alone dablunt89, but I don't agree with you. I'm sure Mary would've at some point mentioned it to H.W. since they're married, and I doubt H.W. would've treated his father with so much respect at the end if thought of him that way. Or at least H.W. might've approached his father on the issue.

I haven't seen the movie since cinemas back in the winter. I've got the DVD at home, but haven't gotten around to watching again yet. So I'll have to see Mary's reactions to Plainview again, but I think her being scared by him was meant to show how children are more intuitive and she can sense what kind of man he is.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:52 am

I finally saw this.

Funnily enough, the second post in this tread is from me, and I said:

Nachokoolaid wrote:Uh. That look shit to me, but what the hell do I know.

After seeing it, shit is too strong of a word, but I did NOT think this was great at all.

Here's what I wrote quickly in my 2008 Movie Journal:

Nachokoolaid's Movie Journal wrote:After all the hype, terribly disappointing. Daniel Day Lewis is good, but some parts were so over acted and laughable (especially Eli)...or some was boring. Very good movie, but not great like some others made me believe.

And that's pretty much how I feel. People have said that the Best Picture Oscar came down to No Country and this. God, I'm so glad this didn't win, because I just would have been pissed.

In the No Country thread, bastard_robo said No Country was:

bastard_robo wrote:Its like getting a fantastic BJ, and when you start to close to climax, the chick gives you a hand job insted, then right before you finish, she stops and walks away...

Using that analogy, There Will Be Blood is like having a nagging wife that always promises a good BJ, and even says you can cum in her mouth, but right as you're just about to get hard, she whines some more about having a headache and goes to sleep. And you're too bored to jack off.

Or as MasterWhedon said earlier in this thread:

MasterWhedon wrote:I know everyone has been saying this looks to be PTA's Malick film, but I see Kubrick more than anything--ESPECIALLY in the end--and I mean that as something of a criticism. If you've read my reactions to other films in the past, you know I'm a Spielberg guy, not a Kurbick one. Sure, I love some of Kubrick's movies and I respect the hell out of them all, but it seemed to me that from word one the guy never wanted to get close to an audience. Everything is always kept distant and incredibly analytical. That just ain't my thing, and that's exactly how this film feels.

I give the film a 7/10, but a much, much more respectful 7/10 than I gave to, say, Live Free or Die Hard. This film has bold ambition, and I think it succeeds on damn near all of its terms. But it never moved me, and that's what I'm looking for.

Did I dislike everything about it? No, there were some parts where some great tension was created with sound. I liked the scene where HW goes deaf. And the scenes with "Henry Plainview" were good to me too. But just not enough to do it for me. Maybe I'm just missing something.

That's about how I feel. Good job, Lewis, but I can't ever really imagine watching this again, by my own free will.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby tapehead on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:06 am

And with that, I think you're done.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:29 am

"I'm finished."

More appropriate, I think.

One thing though. I never thought once that "Paul" ever even existed. I thought Eli created him so he could go to Plainview to bring him to the oil. Paul represented Eli's want and greed for money and wealth. Any definitive word on this, or is it all speculation. Why aren't they shown together? Why the weird "Ah, you bastard" reaction when Plainview first meets Eli? I thought there was only Eli. No Paul. Anyone else feel that way?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby tapehead on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:43 am

Zarles wrote:I'm sure my puny little popcorn fart of a brain won't be able to say much about it that you all haven't already, but what I will say is that TWBB thoroughly knocked me on my ass. This truly is PTA's breakthrough, and for me, it's made him a true contender for being one of the greatest directors of his generation. I do have to say that in terms of pure watchability, I almost prefer No Country For Old Men over this, but as for sheer scope, scale, texture, and depth, TWBB absolutely prevails. Cinematography, direction, storytelling, tone - everything is exactly where it should be and more.

Acting-wise, DDL has rarely been better. I'm always overwhelmed by actors that can truly morph themselves, body and soul, into the character they're portraying, and there are few that can successfully pull it off each and every time. Daniel Day-Lewis is one of these chameleons, and there were moments in this movie where he physically scared me, intimidated me, MADE me not want to even look at him anymore out of a very real fear of what he was going to do next. The baptism scene was one of these, but the capper for me was the bowling alley massacre. It was God vs. the Devil, but guess what? They were both corrupt, and what they were battling each other for was barely more than the need to continue their corruption, if only of themselves. Ironically, I felt that the bowling alley scene felt very much like a Coen Bros. piece, and yes, I found it very humorous. The milkshake analogy, the chase around the room with the bowling pin, and the incredibly apt and fitting final line - 'I'm finished!' Humor doesn't get much blacker than that.

As for the Paul Dano dual role, call me a blind dummy, but I didn't realize that Paul was being played by Paul Dano. At all. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, or maybe Dano's acting was just that good, but when the credits rolled and Paul Dano was listed as playing both roles, I about shit. That final conversation between Daniel and Eli makes SO much more sense now that I've realized it.

I gotta re-read this thread to fully flesh out a few sequences of this film in my head, but for now, I give it a 9/10. It's going to be an all-out, knockdown, drag-out street brawl between There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men to determine which film will walk away with Best Picture (and probably Best Direction, as well), but personally, I couldn't care less who wins. I'm just happy that I'm around to see two truly master class works doing that kind of battle.

Zarles brought this general point up mid page 3 and there's a few responding posts from there on. From what I've read, Anderson had someone else cast in the brother role and Dano playing both brothers was a late decision made during production. It's a fair point to speculate upon however.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ironic name on Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:34 pm

ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby John-Locke on Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:49 pm

In the final scene when Eli goes to see Plainview Paul is mentioned as having done rather well for himself with the money, three wells producing 5k a week, Plainview says that Paul was the chosen one, the profit, not Eli. I can in no way shape or form see Anderson as having some kind of duality intentions on their characters behalf other than the casting of the same actor for both parts led him to change them from being brothers to twins which had the added bonus of us and Plainview being very weary and skeptical of Eli when he's first introduced.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:20 pm

If they aren't the same person, I think I like the film even less.

To me, that's what the whole ending of the film was about.

Eli was always a false prophet, who lusts for money, wealth and power. However, it would be damaging to his image as a prophet for the town to seek out Plainview and bring him there to serve his own purposes. This would hurt his value as a preacher, and therefore lesson his power in the town. Therefore, "Paul" brought Plainview, and Eli could say he was never involved in the affair.

Therefore, that scene at the end was Plainview getting Eli to admit that he's false.

That's the way I viewed it.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby John-Locke on Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:25 pm

Why would he look shocked to find out that Paul had sold Plainview the information then? Also if he was making tons of money from his wells why would he come to Plainview desperate for money?

I'm sorry but anybody thinking/hoping Paul and Eli are the same person are quite simply looking for a twist (where there isn't one) in a film with far simpler motives.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:35 pm

I honestly wasn't looking for a twist. But to me, it just appeared to be that way. In fact, I didn't even realize they weren't the same character until I got on here and posted my thoughts.

I mean, shit, would twins have the exacts same part in their hair, or peach fuzz growing in exactly the same manner? Or have the same mannerisms?

Seems lazy acting/directing to me. I think Anderson backed himself into a hole (no pun, seriously) when he got the same actor to play both roles.

I'm still disappointed though.

I've noticed that it seems like I hate this film, but that's not the case. I like a lot of things about it. But Paul Dano's performance certainly is not one of those things. There were quite a few times when I started laughing at him and it took me right out of the film.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:54 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I honestly wasn't looking for a twist. But to me, it just appeared to be that way. In fact, I didn't even realize they weren't the same character until I got on here and posted my thoughts.

I mean, shit, would twins have the exacts same part in their hair, or peach fuzz growing in exactly the same manner? Or have the same mannerisms?

Seems lazy acting/directing to me. I think Anderson backed himself into a hole (no pun, seriously) when he got the same actor to play both roles.

I've noticed that it seems like I hate this film, but that's not the case. I like a lot of things about it. But Paul Dano's performance certainly is not one of those things. There were quite a few times when I started laughing at him and it took me right out of the film.

I kinda disagree, the one scene in which we see Paul he's soft spoken and more cautious but also more down to earth than we ever see Eli behave. And Eli is a lot more condescending and pretentious in his body language and speech.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:55 pm

I also want to say that I saw this movie in cinemas back in the winter and really liked it, but had minor issues with the pacing at the end and some other little things, but I bought it and watched it on Friday for the second time and none of those things bugged me anymore and I loved it even more the second time.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:05 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:I honestly wasn't looking for a twist. But to me, it just appeared to be that way. In fact, I didn't even realize they weren't the same character until I got on here and posted my thoughts.

I kinda disagree, the one scene in which we see Paul he's soft spoken and more cautious but also more down to earth than we ever see Eli behave. And Eli is a lot more condescending and pretentious in his body language and speech.

And to give Dano some credit, I liked his quiet, mannered performance. But when he started in on his fire and brimstone, I thought perhaps he had injured himself on set and Anderson had gotten Robin Williams-in-black-preacher-mode to step in. A bit jarring, to say the least.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:20 pm

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby John-Locke on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:20 pm

Oh and Nacho my comments are not aimed solely at you, I've not posted in this thread (since the film came out) until today because I thought everything had already been said about this film but yours was about the 4th, 5th or maybe even 6th comment questioning the whole Paul Eli thing and I thought I'd try and put a stop to the debate. Certainly Anderson made an error with this because it's got nothing to do with the film really, all it did was confuse lots of people.

I'm not trying to be smug about it or anything (not that anyone has accused me of that yet).

(cue someone calling me smug for comedic effect)
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:23 pm

Smug.

And I didn't think you were calling me out. Good to see you also put the blame on Anderson. I agree that it was confusing when it shouldn't have been.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby ironic name on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:29 pm

ironic name

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:12 pm

ironic? What the hell is with the face? I get the milkshake stuff. Is it just to add to the goofiness?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:16 pm

He is excited about drinking the milkshake...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:38 pm

....people thought Paul and Eli were the same person?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:44 pm

Apparently.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:15 pm

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby travis-dane on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:36 pm

DOUBLE D LEWIZZ is fucking everywhere!
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby ironic name on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:19 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:ironic? What the hell is with the face? I get the milkshake stuff. Is it just to add to the goofiness?

it took me 5 minutes to get the milkshake in the ground, but the ddl needed to be seen.

ironic name

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:27 pm

It's like I'm in the twilight zone.

....people thought Paul and Eli were the same person?

Scoff if you must, but yes, I did. I guess I'll have to watch it again, but I guess the first scene with Eli, Paul Dano didn't do a good job of differentiating the characters.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:56 pm

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:57 pm

Who is that chick? 'cause I wanna drink her up!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:59 pm

That's Gemma Atkinson, star of Hollyoaks: In The City (the pinnacle of broadcast television).
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby travis-dane on Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:00 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Who is that chick? 'cause I wanna drink her up!

DONT drink DOUBLE D LEWIZZ's MILKSHAKE Girl.....
Or else he will drink you....
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby buster00 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:37 pm

Looks to me like she'd have enough milk for a whole Dairy Queen's worth of milkshakes.

(*SLURRRP*) I DRINK IT UP!!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:00 pm

buster00 wrote:Looks to me like she'd have enough milk for a whole Dairy Queen's worth of milkshakes.

(*SLURRRP*) I DRINK IT UP!!

You'd be getting mostly silicone poisoning from that milkshake.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ironic name on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:23 pm

she can drink my milkshake anyday
ironic name

Postby Vegeta on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:52 pm

WTF?

At any rate, I got they were brother's right away. In fact, Eli, screams about Paul selling their family out when he tackles his father at dinner. It was all pretty clear, IMO. I guess I thought it was odd that they were twins (seemed pointless), but other than that I had no problem. Maybe if Paul was in more than one scene I'd be a bit confused.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:09 pm

P.T. Anderson originally had another actor hired to play Eli Sunday but was apparently so impressed by Paul Dano's acting as Paul Sunday that he fired the other actor and decided to make them twins getting Paul Dano to play both parts. Aside from Daniel's reaction when he first meets Eli, the fact that they're twins is never really addressed because they were already filming the movie and I guess Anderson didn't have the time to rewrite the movie, and in my opinion didn't need to rewrite anything, Daniel's reaction was enough because it mirrored the audience's. I mean, there are twins out there, they aren't that much of a freak an occurance like werewolves or something.

So that's why I don't really buy into any theories about multiple personalities of the same guy, it wasn't part of Anderson's original vision and this movie is so well built that I doubt he'd want to through in some other mystery level to a movie that he'd already concieved one way and was satisfied enough to start filming.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby tapehead on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:19 pm

Yeah, we've discussed it a little earlier in the thread - I'd love to know who that other actor was, be great to see a youtube or something of the scenes he filmed - maybe on a future release of the film.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Zarles on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:23 pm

Here's a question - who would you wanted to have seen in that role?
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:26 pm

I felt like starting a 'net rumour that it was Heath Ledger - hence 'Double D's' emotional outpouring when he passed away.

Yeah, I'm nasty like that sometimes - too soon?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Zarles on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:54 pm

It's weird when totally fictious theorizing would've fit so well within the confines of real life. Good choice.

For some odd reason, Donny Wahlberg is popping into my head. His bit part in The Sixth Sense has always haunted me, no pun intended.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:10 pm

Well, in TWBB the main actors play characters with the same first name, Daniel Day Lewis plays Daniel Plainview and Paul Dano was hired to play Paul Sunday, and I feel like it wasn't a coincidince. I think Anderson might've done it to make the actors identify even more with their own characters or written them those actors in mind (which we know is the case for Lewis).

So it gets me thinking that it might've been Elijah Wood originally cast as Eli Sunday and I think he could've pulled it off. I definately would've bought him as Paul Dano's brother, the two have some similiar boyish ageless qualities allowing them to play a wide age range and give the same boy versus man feeling we got from Lewis and Dano.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:48 pm

Zarles wrote:Here's a question - who would you wanted to have seen in that role?

Well, if it was played like Dano did it...

Robin Williams, in his best black preacher impersonation.

:twisted:
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Zarles on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:14 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
Zarles wrote:Here's a question - who would you wanted to have seen in that role?

Well, if it was played like Dano did it...

Robin Williams, in his best black preacher impersonation.

:twisted:

Only if he was a Dumbledore black preacher. Only then.

Elijah sounds good, too.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:38 pm

Seriously, probably Joseph Gordon Levitt. Or maybe Ryan Gosling.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Zarles on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:42 pm

Oooooh, Levitt would've killed it. Nice one.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:47 pm

Let's get back on topic.

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion