There Will Be Blood (SPOILERS!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

The black blood of the earth?!?

39%
25%
13%
11%
No votes
5%
if you rate it lower than 5, you suck!
7%

Total votes : 56

Re: There Will Be Blood (SPOILERS!)

Postby Bloo on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:09 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I just spent a nice Friday night smoking a cigar getting loaded and watching There Will Be Blood for the fifth time in its entirety. What a fucking masterpiece, it's just at that level that I don't even have any expectations for what PT Anderson will do next because I've totally written off him topping this ever or any other film topping this within the next decade.

Holy shit.

nice way to spend a night, although i have to say that I've yet to see TWBB
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:43 am

Advance movie proposal of intended remake of this film, but setting the themes in the rail industry. A timeless story it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaBfcOYu ... re=related

I think you know of this one already, it never got off the ground yet, but a movie proposal filmed for the execs for an intended take set in a sci-fi setting. Sorry, if you've seen it before, but I've been away a while. I'm sorry Mr President. I'll never let you down again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drp7o39mekM
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:50 am

Predator VS. Plainview.
Whoever wins, we win.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:42 pm

I assume Plainview's weapon of choice would be a wooden bowling pin
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:51 pm

Loving the new avatar, Ribbons.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:02 am

:wink:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Went to a screening of it tonight. It is still a masterpiece.

The final words... When I first saw it I wasn't sure if he was saying "I've killed a guy, I'm going to get sent down" or "I'm done screwing around in the alley, Jeeves, come and tidy up." Now I'm more inclined to believe the latter.

Also, having since read more about the history of the oil trade at the time, there was an added extra layer knowing about dealings of companies like Standard Oil.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:28 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Went to a screening of it tonight. It is still a masterpiece.

The final words... When I first saw it I wasn't sure if he was saying "I've killed a guy, I'm going to get sent down" or "I'm done screwing around in the alley, Jeeves, come and tidy up." Now I'm more inclined to believe the latter.

Also, having since read more about the history of the oil trade at the time, there was an added extra layer knowing about dealings of companies like Standard Oil.

I think you're right. "I'm finished!" means "I'm done with killing this guy; come and clean up the mess." And maybe in those days, no servant would ever testify against his employer. Plainview murders and gets away with it without even facing trial.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:56 pm

minstrel wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Went to a screening of it tonight. It is still a masterpiece.

I think you're right. "I'm finished!" means "I'm done with killing this guy; come and clean up the mess." And maybe in those days, no servant would ever testify against his employer. Plainview murders and gets away with it without even facing trial.

Plainview essentially beats everyone. On the porch, when he's speaking to FakeHenry, he says "I want to earn enough money I can get away from everyone." And he does it. Against Eli telling him he's doing evil. Against Standard Oil with his pipeline. And eventually by distancing himself from HW.

But, as the small cut back to his time in Little Boston shows, his best times were probably with HW out in the field.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:42 am

Sometimes dialogue in scripts has deeper meanings. When these lines are written, especially such a short line at the end of a movie, I reckon the writers were considering that some significance is gonna be present or recognised in it. Therefore I believe that "I'm finished" does have some meaning. Look into that what you will. Could be that he is gonna get done for this and be jailed, maybe his quest is done and he has made it to the top of the mountain, beaten everyone and finally achieved his overall victory in life, he is finished in his fight and won.

Then again, when I was 26, and I was learning going to number 2s on my own to the toilet, I would always shout down to my Mum to let her know that I did everything, OK, "I'M - FIINIIISHED!!"

Only NEXT TIME!!!!!! - I'll shout it down to her in a Daniel Plainview voice.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:27 am

Kirks and FG, I think you're both right!!!

When Plainview said "I'm finished" he probably meant (as FG alluded to) the fact that he was finally able to separate himself from everyone in his life that bothered him and enjoy his hard-earned wealth in peace. But I also think it meant that he felt trapped, either because he was about to be jailed (which seems like a pretty real possibility to me, but I don't know that much about Standard Oil) or because all he had left in his life was a big empty house, in which he drunkenly wandered around playing skeet with the fine china.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:46 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Sometimes dialogue in scripts has deeper meanings. When these lines are written, especially such a short line at the end of a movie, I reckon the writers were considering that some significance is gonna be present or recognised in it. Therefore I believe that "I'm finished" does have some meaning. Look into that what you will. Could be that he is gonna get done for this and be jailed, maybe his quest is done and he has made it to the top of the mountain, beaten everyone and finally achieved his overall victory in life, he is finished in his fight and won.

Then again, when I was 26, and I was learning going to number 2s on my own to the toilet, I would always shout down to my Mum to let her know that I did everything, OK, "I'M - FIINIIISHED!!"

Only NEXT TIME!!!!!! - I'll shout it down to her in a Daniel Plainview voice.

just don't shout out "i drink your milkshake" after your poo.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:46 am

Ribbons wrote:hen Plainview said "I'm finished" he probably meant (as FG alluded to) the fact that he was finally able to separate himself from everyone in his life that bothered him and enjoy his hard-earned wealth in peace. But I also think it meant that he felt trapped, either because he was about to be jailed (which seems like a pretty real possibility to me, but I don't know that much about Standard Oil) or because all he had left in his life was a big empty house, in which he drunkenly wandered around playing skeet with the fine china.

I'm thinking with the wealth Plainview has (and associated power that came with it) he would have had the means to clean up such a mess. It was late at night and the house was probably isolated. Easy to cover up. And Plainview was clearly playing games with Eli the whole time, so perhaps he'd planned such a scenario in advance.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:24 pm

I feel sorry for my next girlfriend - as it is this scene that I can't wait to act out with her. Oooooooh how a chair can look like a bowling ball sometimes...
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:48 pm

Or, by "I'm finished" he meant he was done with his milkshake.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Finished shaking something that made milk? And I don't mean me on the toilet either.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Al Shut on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:37 pm

Caught up with it

I don't get it

I don't mean the movie, although that argument could surely be made, but the praise it gets.

All I saw was an completely unengaging drama with the constant non communication and the THX violins getting on my nerves.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion