Transformers

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

On a scale from 1 to 10, how many giant fucking robots would you rate Transformers...?

16%
13%
14%
10%
5%
6%
5%
9%
2%
4%
I'm waiting so I can watch it on my in-dash DVD player which is mounted in a car that DOESN'T transform into a Giant Fucking Robot...
No votes
GO-BOTS!!!
3%
DAMN YOU MICHAEL BAY!!!
12%

Total votes : 99

Re: Transformers

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:16 pm

they should have gone with an R-rated version. I don't think you saw me saying I thought it was a good movie to bring your little kids to see, did you? I have said various times that the level of violence in kids' programming bothers me and that the contrast with how nudity and sexuality are handled by the ratings system and "watchdog" groups is hypocritical and socially backwards. look, you want to play word games and 'gotcha"? knock yourself out. as usual you have no real interest in discussion or the issue at hand and would rather try to sidetrack things into a personal bullshitfest.

this is a Transformers thread so I didn't think to specifically discuss every other PG-13 action movie made in the last 20 years. the issue is the issue, though. Transformers isn't some abhorration, it is the norm and has been for a while. no way would I take a kid under the age of 13 to see a Transformers movie because I am well aware of the content. it's a parent's job to know what is in something before they show it to their kids.

I work in a high school, I see the effects of today's media, good and bad, and one of the most disturbing things I see is the dismissive way these kids handle mass death. now, you can argue that real world events are why and you would have a valid point....if these kids could pass a current events test if their lives depended on it. seriously, I grew up with the Iran hostages, the Beirut bombing, Reagan being shot, etc., news flash, the world has been violent pretty steadily for the last century or so.....and for a little while before that even. I could write you a little thesis about our idealization of our values is shown in the stories we tell, and kids do not process information the same way that adults do, they don't, it isn't an opinion, it is FACT, and so stories that are impactful are part of laying down a sense of ideology for kids. it is an essential part of the development of the very first cultures, telling stories to pass down values and ideals. why do you think sunday school is all about stories. it is how humans learn ethics and morality and use as an anchor point for their sense of themselves and their place in life, whether it is a parable from the Bible or the story of Jack and the Beanstalk or Curious George or a Daredevil comic, values are being taught whether you think so or not.

kids have a lot of media coming at them these days and we need to be conscious of how those ingredients may effect kids' values and outlook on society. for some issues people seem to have little problem doing it. smoking, for instance. if you had a couple main characters smoking during the movie Transformers would be more at risk of getting an R rating than if they killed another 50 people. i'm tired of how this country embraces violence with so little self-awareness or appreciation for the consequences. I fucking LOVE Deadwood. violent show. damn strait. there were people killed, alright, and you were made uncomfortably aware of it when someone was killed. it wasn't sanitized or in the background to ease the impact. it isn't about yes violence or no violence it is about the context and how it is handled.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Transformers

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:19 pm

Peven wrote:they should have gone with an R-rated version. I don't think you saw me saying I thought it was a good movie to bring your little kids to see, did you?

i also didn't see Fievel saying he thought it was a good idea to take little kids to see Transformers... his post said exactly the opposite, in fact. but that didn't stop you from jumping all over him, just because HIS reason for saying kids shouldn't watch wasn't as good as YOUR reason for saying kids shouldn't watch it.

I have said various times that the level of violence in kids' programming bothers me and that the contrast with how nudity and sexuality are handled by the ratings system and "watchdog" groups is hypocritical and socially backwards. look, you want to play word games and 'gotcha"? knock yourself out. as usual you have no real interest in discussion or the issue at hand and would rather try to sidetrack things into a personal bullshitfest.

like how you sidetracked off FIevel's comments about objectifying women in these movies so you could talk about the violence instead? i don't think anyone has a problem with your opinions on violence, it's the fact that you have to slag off on others and put your opinion out in the most sanctimonious, douchiest way possible. you could just say something like "i agree that these films objectify women, but i think the way they fetishize violence is much worse" and it wouldn't be a problem. but no, it can't stop there with you. FIevel committed the unspeakable crime of not mentioning violence, therefore you've got to insult him and make all kinds of assumptions about how he might feel about a topic he never said a word about. maybe if you didn't always have to be such an asshole about how you express yourself, other would pay more attention to what you say instead of how you say it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion