The Official Live Free or Review Hard Thread! (SPOILERS)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

"I'll kiss your fucking dalmatian..."

Best. Die Hard. Evar. (even better than the 1st...)
5%
Worse Than the 1st - Better than the other 2...
25%
Better Than the 2nd - Worse than the other 2...
16%
Better Than the 3rd - Worse than the other 2...
14%
Worst. Die Hard. Evar. (but at least it's better than Underworld...)
20%
Even worse than Underworld...
2%
I'm waiting till Die Hard in a Living Room...(DVD, etc...)
18%
Fuck Die Hard (I won't be seeing this...)
No votes

Total votes : 44

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:09 am

Havoc, I had zero issues with the ending except for the tacked on Love Interest nonsense between Justin Long and John McClane's SMOKING ASSED daughter.

I think that a duke out with Olyphant would have been pointless. He had a lot of hired muscle and a ninja-hacker because he was a pussy. We saw it again and again throughout the movie. He's dispension of the other hackers, his slapping women, his sissy talking. And he wasn't just a pussy, he was immature. I mean I LIKE his motivation for what he does. It makes sense, but it's the ultimate temper tantrum isn't it? WHAH NO ONE WILL LISTEN TO ME I WILL WTF ARMAGEDDON YOUR ASSES LOL. So I think a duke out between those two would have been pointless.

And as far as line delivery, I did not notice any issues. And everyone in the audience I saw it with actually clapped. So there, Mr. Picky McPickerson.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:25 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Havoc, I had zero issues with the ending except for the tacked on Love Interest nonsense between Justin Long and John McClane's SMOKING ASSED daughter.

I think that a duke out with Olyphant would have been pointless. He had a lot of hired muscle and a ninja-hacker because he was a pussy. We saw it again and again throughout the movie. He's dispension of the other hackers, his slapping women, his sissy talking. And he wasn't just a pussy, he was immature. I mean I LIKE his motivation for what he does. It makes sense, but it's the ultimate temper tantrum isn't it? WHAH NO ONE WILL LISTEN TO ME I WILL WTF ARMAGEDDON YOUR ASSES LOL. So I think a duke out between those two would have been pointless.

And as far as line delivery, I did not notice any issues. And everyone in the audience I saw it with actually clapped. So there, Mr. Picky McPickerson.

Hmmm...I actually do understand what you're saying...

And there's a good possibility that what you say would actually work out for the best...maybe...

Maybe I'm just too obsessed with always wanting to see McClane get his ass royally beaten and handed to him - and then he slowly somehow gets up - says something witty - and kills the bad guy...
It's like wrestling...
So that's probably why I was expecting/hoping for that...

But, I did briefly mention the similarities to the first Die Hard - which I thought was kinda nice...

And yeah, Olyphant was a bit pouty...
But - regardless - duke it out or not - pouty or not - Olyphant still should've fallen and/or gotten blown up after taking one bullet...

Computer hacker super genius or not - the lead villain doesn't just take one bullet - especially one bullet that already had to work it's way through the one and only right shoulder of John Mc(gunshot)Clane...

But I'll have to see it a few more times before I know for sure - but it's good to see the other side of things...

Now call me a douche or something before people get the wrong idea...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:41 am

I dunno, I think that the Punisher kind of ruined the ol' "take out the bad guy in the most elaborate way possible" for every movie until the end of time.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:54 am

Lundgren was so wizard in Punisher, yo...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Lurker Johnson on Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:04 am

havocSchultz wrote:Now call me a douche or something before people get the wrong idea...

You, sir, are a douche. :)
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:54 pm

havocSchultz wrote:I'll agree with burl...(whoa...why are those babies over there suddenly crying tears of blood...? weird...) the Maggie Q scene was one of my favorite...

But from the couple of other people who have chimed in here - at least go back and read my small text stuff about the ending and let me know what you think...

Parts of the ending were realy only my major concern with the film...and I'm just wondering if any one else was roughly on the same page or not...

I'm pretty much with you on your tiny text comments. I was expecting one last big sequence to pop up when they were sitting around commiserating in the ambulances. Like in VENGEANCE when McClane sees the "North of the Border" code on Simon's aspirin bottle and realizes where he went, and it's like, hoo yeah! it ain't over yet! Burl's right that Thomas Gabriel isn't the type to keep surviving through a protracted duke-out though.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Luciferie Girl on Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:03 am

without "quoting" your entire post, havocSchultz lol I have to say you are pretty right on the money with the film. (I just saw it tonight)

Yeah sure I am female but I love the Die Hard movies a lot, they are pretty much the top of my action movie list, especially the first. I re-watched them all last week in a lead up to seeing this new one (just had to) and it totally psyched me up for seeing it. I have to say I LOVED it, it was a GREAT ride, I honestly was not disappointed. I felt that Bruce played John superbly, even without the f-sharps. (The older he gets, the balder he gets, the sexier he gets, and damn I think he's totally sexy in this movie.) I could get into everything havocSchultz said, but he already said it and dammit I go to movies to enjoy them not analyze the crap out of them.

All in all I enjoyed it immensely and I can hardly wait for the uncut version to come out on DVD...which they hopefully will do. Sure it was a rip off when they went with the g rating thing, but I blame the studio not Bruce. Bruce gets paid to act in the movie, he didn't "make" the movie...unfortunately the higher-up crap for brains suits rule, even movie studios.

Thanks for the great movie Bruce!
Luciferie Girl
GLIB

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:22 am

Luciferie Girl wrote:without "quoting" your entire post, havocSchultz lol I have to say you are pretty right on the money with the film. (I just saw it tonight)

Yeah sure I am female but I love the Die Hard movies a lot, they are pretty much the top of my action movie list, especially the first. I re-watched them all last week in a lead up to seeing this new one (just had to) and it totally psyched me up for seeing it. I have to say I LOVED it, it was a GREAT ride, I honestly was not disappointed. I felt that Bruce played John superbly, even without the f-sharps. (The older he gets, the balder he gets, the sexier he gets, and damn I think he's totally sexy in this movie.) I could get into everything havocSchultz said, but he already said it and dammit I go to movies to enjoy them not analyze the crap out of them.

All in all I enjoyed it immensely and I can hardly wait for the uncut version to come out on DVD...which they hopefully will do. Sure it was a rip off when they went with the g rating thing, but I blame the studio not Bruce. Bruce gets paid to act in the movie, he didn't "make" the movie...unfortunately the higher-up crap for brains suits rule, even movie studios.

Thanks for the great movie Bruce!

Rumer?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:22 am

Welcome Luciferie Girl!

Oh and a side note... is the DVD set they have at target widescreen or pan and scam? I MUST KNOW!@#
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Zarles on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:08 am

SPOILERS THROUGHOUT!!1!

Saw this with a friend last night, and while it was a nice ride, I have to say that we both laughed our way through a lot of it. Not necessarily during the funny parts, either. Knocking a guy out of a helicopter with blast from a fire hydrant, and having him walk away from it? Watching a jet fighter parallel park inside a highway overpass? Silliness.

Good silliness, though. At the end, I had to admit that I had fun watching all that ridiculous nonsense. Bruce was very much McClaine again, Justin Long was only mildly irritating at points, K-Smith wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined he was going to be, and while Mary Elizabeth Winstead looks better in a cheerleader costume, she was still fairly believable and pretty damn hot, too. I would've loved to have seen her beat the shit out of Timothy Olyphant, though. That would've been a nice way to put a twist on how they got rid of the big baddie at the end.

The one major beef I have with it is how they blatantly edited out a lot of the 'bad' language to get the rating they wanted for it. At times, the replacement ADR is SO obvious that it looks like an old chop-socky movie from 1972. If they would've thrown the PG-13 to the wind and gone with an R, I would've been much happier with the end product. This is Die Hard - not some family bullshit. If there's another one, (which I wouldn't doubt) I'd really like to see them get back to form in that respect. I honestly think that if movies like Grindhouse had done better at the BO, we would've gotten an R on this movie.

The poll on this one has warped my fragile little mind, so I'll give it a 7. Good empty-headed summertime filler.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Luciferie Girl on Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 pm

Zarles wrote:The one major beef I have with it is how they blatantly edited out a lot of the 'bad' language to get the rating they wanted for it. At times, the replacement ADR is SO obvious that it looks like an old chop-socky movie from 1972.

I noticed that too, it was badly done in parts but I imagine that they ended up having a lot to edit out...lol...the poor editor must have been near suicidal by the time he was finished...am still hoping for a good unedited DVD version.

Thanks for the welcome burlivesleftnut. I always liked Burl Ives, nice to see his left nut still..umm...kicking.
Luciferie Girl
GLIB

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:45 pm

Luciferie Girl wrote:I always liked Burl Ives, nice to see his left nut still..umm...kicking.

Holy crappa, you have a the NO idea, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Zarles on Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:40 pm

I'd definitely watch an unrated DVD of this. Especially if it's got a few hardcore scenes with Mary Elizabeth Winstead and one of the ever-present webcams scattered throughout the flick.

Teh sexorz!!!1!
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:50 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Luciferie Girl wrote:I always liked Burl Ives, nice to see his left nut still..umm...kicking.

Holy crappa, you have a the NO idea, eh?

Some days the nut kicks, some days the nut get kicked.

Watch it, old man!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:32 am

I feel like I detected a bit of self-loathing nerd in Len Wiseman's portrayal of the hackers. For a man whose dream project is directing Wolverine, the contempt for Justin Long's and Kevin Smith's geek accoutrements in the film was in no short supply.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:08 am

Oh, by the way, Bruce Willis said on Johnathon Ross when asked about doing a 5th Die Hard... "Yeah sure, why not? It needs to be done soon though".

YIPPEEEE KAYAYAYAYAAAA MotherFUCKing YAY!!!!!!

Wuddayou guys think of this? Good idea, bad idea? What it could be about, who should direct, what McClane's own story could be?!

HAPPY DAYS!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:21 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Oh, by the way, Bruce Willis said on Johnathon Ross when asked about doing a 5th Die Hard... "Yeah sure, why not? It needs to be done soon though".

Wuddayou guys think of this? Good idea, bad idea? What it could be about, who should direct, what McClane's own story could be?!

Well between me and youse, I don't think it's a good idea; but this is coming from somebody who doesn't think any of the Die Hard sequels were good ideas.

The thing about making a sequel is that you almost always have directors trying to up the ante on the previous films. The first Die Hard already strained the suspension of disbelief, but at least its conceit of realism was modest enough -- a cop tries to stay alive and save a building during a hostage situation. Now you've got John McClane knocking out fire hydrants in order to destroy enemy helicopters, driving cars into elevators, jumping off of jet wings. I don't care how much training he's had as a police officer since the first movie, that's pretty hard to swallow. By the next film he'll be diving through fans, or climbing a mountain barehanded, or wearing exploding sunglasses.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:29 pm

Ribbons wrote: By the next film he'll be diving through fans, or climbing a mountain barehanded, or wearing exploding sunglasses.

That's IMPOSSIBLE!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:39 pm

Ribbons wrote:Well between me and youse, I don't think it's a good idea; but this is coming from somebody who doesn't think any of the Die Hard sequels were good ideas.

My sentiments exactly.

Ribbons wrote:The thing about making a sequel is that you almost always have directors trying to up the ante on the previous films. The first Die Hard already strained the suspension of disbelief, but at least its conceit of realism was modest enough -- a cop tries to stay alive and save a building during a hostage situation. Now you've got John McClane knocking out fire hydrants in order to destroy enemy helicopters, driving cars into elevators, jumping off of jet wings. I don't care how much training he's had as a police officer since the first movie, that's pretty hard to swallow.

Agreed. It sounds like a True Lies sequel more than Die Hard (P.S. It sounds like an AWESOME True Lies sequel!)

Ribbons wrote:By the next film he'll be diving through fans, or climbing a mountain barehanded, or wearing exploding sunglasses.

Tom Cruise wrote:Image
That's my schtick pal!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:30 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Ribbons wrote: By the next film he'll be diving through fans, or climbing a mountain barehanded, or wearing exploding sunglasses.

That's IMPOSSIBLE!!!

:wink:

so sorry wrote:
Tom Cruise wrote:Image

That's my schtick pal!

:o
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:56 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Oh, by the way, Bruce Willis said on Johnathon Ross when asked about doing a 5th Die Hard... "Yeah sure, why not? It needs to be done soon though".

Well between me and youse, I don't think it's a good idea; but this is coming from somebody who doesn't think any of the Die Hard sequels were good ideas.

The thing about making a sequel is that you almost always have directors trying to up the ante on the previous films. The first Die Hard already strained the suspension of disbelief, but at least its conceit of realism was modest enough -- a cop tries to stay alive and save a building during a hostage situation. Now you've got John McClane knocking out fire hydrants in order to destroy enemy helicopters, driving cars into elevators, jumping off of jet wings. I don't care how much training he's had as a police officer since the first movie, that's pretty hard to swallow. By the next film he'll be diving through fans, or climbing a mountain barehanded, or wearing exploding sunglasses.

Well I dunno. I have yet to see DH4 so I can't say how OTT if that, they may be over McClane's antics in DH1. He did jump off a building with a fire hose wrapped around him and fall down an elevator shaft only to hang on to a ledge with only an inch or so with his fingers. In the second he was already jumping ONTO plane wings so I dunno how more 'exaggertated' DH4's stunts may be.

Plus there was nothing to say earlier on in the series that McClane wasn't capable of doing more than we saw.

So I think we better judge the movie a bit better when we finally see it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:03 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:In the second he was already jumping ONTO plane wings so I dunno how more 'exaggertated' DH4's stunts may be.

My point exactly, eh? :wink:

Every action movie needs a money shot of some sort these days, I guess, but there are so many elaborate set pieces that, for me at least, it was kind of hard to accept. The first couple times. And most of them take place after he's already been beaten half to death. There's more insanity that I won't get into here if you haven't watched the movie yet, but you'll see what I mean.

It is a decent movie taken on its own terms, so it's not like that stuff made me dislike DH4, but if we're talking sequels, I guess I'd be pushing in the opposite direction.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:08 pm

Aaahhh you HAVE seen DH4! My bad! I didn't read properly. OK, I'll have to see the film to address you more on this issue. Roll on 2 days!!!!! I might even take up smoking this week - seeing as it's Die Hard John McClane week for me!!!

FARKIT!! What does one have to do to get a decent movie discussion going on around here!?!?!?!? :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Willowwind on Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:41 pm

My only problem with a DH5 would be the villiain. I want a kick ass, scare me out of my mind, this guy is a whack job, believable villain. That certainly wasn't the case in this movie. That was the one weak point (major weak point) in this movie.

Maybe for DH5 we could find out that Hans had an identical twin brother who has come out of hiding to try and kick BW's ass. Love BW and love Alan Rickman. I would pay $50 for a ticket to see those two hooked up again. :D
An it harm none, do what you will.
Willowwind
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:43 am

rofl, it's in the top 250: http://imdb.com/title/tt0337978/

looks like we gonna get more pg13 die hards then :P
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:39 am

Evil Hobbit wrote:rofl, it's in the top 250: http://imdb.com/title/tt0337978/

looks like we gonna get more pg13 die hards then :P

If they're as good as this one - and we get a Hard R version on DVD after - I'm up for another go around...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:41 am

Ok, I refuse to read anything in this thread until after I see it tonight so can someone fill me in on your impressions and the like? Also a rating that isn't as random as the poll would be nice too :D..... Thanks guys :D
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:45 am

It's got far too many gorillas in drag in it. Otherwise, it's fine.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:46 am

Well that sound like the greatest movie EVA!!!!

SOMEONE BY ME MORE TICKETS, I WANT TO SIT ALONE WHILE I WATCH THIS!!!

Thanks Zarles...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vicarious on Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:22 pm

I had never seen a Die Hard film until last week. Just never got around to it and I was too young for them in theaters. I made my way through the series before I went to see the new one, and really enjoyed all of them in different ways. The second stood out to me as it is totally fucking re tarded, but fun in equal measure. The second half of Vengeance underwhelmed me, but I did like all 3 films.

The new one was definitely fun, but lacked the edge of the others, for obvious reasons. I loved the action setpieces and thought it was really well cast. Unfortunately, the editing fucking sucked. This is in all likelihood attributed to the PG-13 cuts. I noticed more than a dozen moments where the characters mouths were clearly out of sync with what was being said. As much as I enjoyed the movie, I will hold out on seeing it again until we get the original R-rated cut. I was definitely missing John's trademark pottymouth.

7/10
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:48 pm

Vicarious wrote:I was definitely missing John's trademark pottymouth.

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:49 am

Vicarious wrote:I had never seen a Die Hard film until last week. Just never got around to it and I was too young for them in theaters. I made my way through the series before I went to see the new one, and really enjoyed all of them in different ways. The second stood out to me as it is totally fucking re tarded, but fun in equal measure. The second half of Vengeance underwhelmed me, but I did like all 3 films.

The new one was definitely fun, but lacked the edge of the others, for obvious reasons. I loved the action setpieces and thought it was really well cast. Unfortunately, the editing fucking sucked. This is in all likelihood attributed to the PG-13 cuts. I noticed more than a dozen moments where the characters mouths were clearly out of sync with what was being said. As much as I enjoyed the movie, I will hold out on seeing it again until we get the original R-rated cut. I was definitely missing John's trademark pottymouth.

7/10

I find this amazing...

Not so much that you had never seen a Die Hard film up until this point - but that in a quick overview of all said films - nothing is mentioned regarding the first film...

Either way - glad you enjoyed the new one for the most part - I'm also really looking forward to seeing (hopefully) everything we weren't able to when the DVD hits...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:45 am

Vicarious wrote:The new one was definitely fun, but lacked the edge of the others, for obvious reasons. I loved the action setpieces and thought it was really well cast.

Yeah, the casting actually was pretty canny. Justin Long was a good foil to Bruce Willis; he got to lose his shit and personify all the stress and emotional trauma of the firesale while John McClane cracked wise and saved the day and whatever. Kevin Smith was funny in the small part that he was given; I know he's self-deprecating about his acting capabilities, but he really shouldn't be. It's not like he's going to win any Oscars anytime soon, but given the right part, he can be pretty effective.

Also, I did a little bit of a silent cheer when I saw that Cliff Curtis and Zeljko Ivanek were in a movie about terrorists and actually got to play the good guys for once.

Oh, and teh Balm has a very brief cameo in the beginning of the movie as well! But he gets blowed up... :(
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:25 am

Well the meetup last night treated me to Die Hard 4.0 in all of its full digital glory. As we all settled down to watch this highly anticipated film a feeling of nerves flooded through me. Being a fan of the previous films I was worried that this incarnation would miss the point of what John McClane’s and his films are all about. But with a mind clear of spoilers (even though I did watch 30 second of that clip that was on the main site) I sat down and waited for the quips and punches to begin.

The Fox logo fades down and we are introduced to a new breed of cyber criminals that are bent on destroying America (as well as making a hefty profit). McClane is introduced into the story as being a protective dad, something that has been established in the previous flicks many times. He gets a call from HQ and is grudgingly sent to escort a small time hacker to the centre of cyber intelligence (or some such agency). From the moment that John walks into the hackers (Justin Long) apartment the action just doesn’t quit! The chase is on and it doesn’t stop for the rest of the film.

There are some very good reasons why this film has jumped up 800% on IMDB since last week. It’s a great rock’em sock’em action film. It’s not quite a Die Hard film as I feel that Bruce misses the mark a bit with his portrayal of John McClane. It’s been a long time since John has been in action like this, and he’s aged. Bruce takes this ‘old man’ aspect too far in my opinion and takes the comedic and cool edge off of the whole film. It’s great fun, and well worth several watches but it slightly misses the mark of what makes a Die Hard flick. Some sloppy cutting and lip sinc errors spoiled it a bit, but the digital cinema I saw it in did show every pore on Bruce’s bald head so it’s hard to miss anything.

The FX are very well done, there were some points where you knew that it was CG but there’s just no way to tell (the helicopter shot that shows all of the traffic chaos in the first quarter). Forget what anyone says about the jet scene, it’s great! Popcorn goodness all the way through…

The stunt guys in this flick must be the best paid in the world as there are some real nut clinchers as the guys are thrown around from cars to helicopters. I would like to make a special note of the henchmen of the year, Mr Spider Monkey him self… yes, it’s that guy who was thrown around by John McClane more times then a used dinger wrapper (and you know what, I can’t find his name anywhere! ARRHHHGG!!). Mr. Die by being frozen. What a guy! I want him to be a super villain some day! He was great!

And no-one was left out of the fight, even the dark lady of the picture (Maggie Q) had her time to kick some McClane ass. Not that she didn’t get the crap kicked out of her back (this is a fantastic fight and one of my favourites)

It’s a great film, and well worth seeing in the cinema, it may not be my favourite Die hard but it is a great film.

8/10
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:46 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:(Maggie Q) had her time to kick some McClane ass. Not that she didn’t get the crap kicked out of her back (this is a fantastic fight and one of my favourites)

Glad you enjoyed it...

Hope some more of those pesky UKers chime in...(*coughKIRKcough*)

And I love that Maggie Q scene more and more whenever somebody brings it up...

Just Bruce's reaction and "switch" in the scene where he finally just says "fuck it" and goes to town on her...

And Maggie Q was fucking smoking throughout...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:56 am

havocSchultz wrote:
MonkeyM666 wrote:(Mag gie Q) had her time to kick some McClane ass. Not that she didn’t get the crap kicked out of her back (this is a fantastic fight and one of my favourites)

Glad you enjoyed it...

Just Bruce's reaction and "switch" in the scene where he finally just says "fuck it" and goes to town on her...

and....SPOILER>>

I can't believe she died when she did, that was very unexpected. I hate to say it but I love it when a dude kicks the shit out of a chick on screen like that (if the chick is the villain of the hero). It's such a contentious issue with so many people, it’s good to see equal rights and equal whoopage for all.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:09 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
MonkeyM666 wrote:(Mag gie Q) had her time to kick some McClane ass. Not that she didn’t get the crap kicked out of her back (this is a fantastic fight and one of my favourites)

Glad you enjoyed it...

and....SPOILER>>

I can't believe she died when she did, that was very unexpected. I hate to say it but I love it when a dude kicks the shit out of a chick on screen like that (if the chick is the villain of the hero). It's such a contentious issue with so many people, it’s good to see equal rights and equal whoopage for all.

Yeah...I hear ya...and they played it right...Bruce got his ass handed to him briefly - which he then decided was good enough excuse to revoke his chivalry card and beat her like she's some Russian Dancer playing a German Terrorist or something...

'Twas sweet...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:17 am

MODEDIT: deleted for complete pointlessness

Siiiiiiiggggghhhhhhh!!!! You Mods really do know how to self own yourself when dealing with me, the biggest villain here to you lot eh?

Call yourself movie buffs?!?!? You're just not educated or smart enough to understand what I was doing here, did you?

I was posting a pic of Alexander Godunov, the Russian Ballet dancer who Havoc was referring to here, who was the one that Bruce Willis beat the shit out of in Die Hard 1. I was doing so to illustrate who he was and how funny it was that Bruce had a hardcore fight with a Russian Balle..... oh forget it, here's the picture again...

Don't ever let me catch you guys being less smart than me again. In fact due to all of your self ownage in trying to defeat me, here's a bit of advice....

The smartest thing that you guys can do - is try not to be smarter than me!

(I bet this was Dino! NO! U bet it was Buuurrll!!!!!!!!!)
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Vicarious on Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:59 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Vicarious wrote:I had never seen a Die Hard film until last week. Just never got around to it and I was too young for them in theaters. I made my way through the series before I went to see the new one, and really enjoyed all of them in different ways. The second stood out to me as it is totally fucking re tarded, but fun in equal measure. The second half of Vengeance underwhelmed me, but I did like all 3 films.

7/10

I find this amazing...

Not so much that you had never seen a Die Hard film up until this point - but that in a quick overview of all said films - nothing is mentioned regarding the first film...

Either way - glad you enjoyed the new one for the most part - I'm also really looking forward to seeing (hopefully) everything we weren't able to when the DVD hits...

I really couldn't think of anything to say about the original that isn't the general consensus of everyone else. It's an action masterpiece. It's by far my favorite of the 4, and I guess I though it kinda went without saying... heh.
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby buster00 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:54 am

I dug the hell out of it! I put it right behind the first one.

Favorite Die Hard flicks, in order:

I'd give it an 8, if given the chance. Mucho 'Splosions!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:00 am

Off to see tonight
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Puneet on Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:46 pm

carthartic... wow someones been reading their dictionary
Puneet
Puneet
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:00 pm

buster00 wrote:I dug the hell out of it! I put it right behind the first one.

I'm hearing this as well. Alot of people are comparing it to DH1 - it's as good. We all recognize that DH2 and DH3 were messes, and DH1 was always superior. DH1 is a Christmas classic, right up there with Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph. I think the DH moviegoer will definitely go into Live Free Die Hard comparing it to DH1 and so far it's proven to be a great movie. My boss saw it this weekend, said it was incredible, funny, tons of action - even better than DH1. I will likely go see this movie this weekend. Makes no difference to me if the *F* word is only used once.

Yippee Kiyaa motherfucker 8)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Luciferie Girl on Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:38 pm

Willowwind wrote:My only problem with a DH5 would be the villiain. I want a kick ass, scare me out of my mind, this guy is a whack job, believable villain. That certainly wasn't the case in this movie. That was the one weak point (major weak point) in this movie.

Maybe for DH5 we could find out that Hans had an identical twin brother who has come out of hiding to try and kick BW's ass. Love BW and love Alan Rickman. I would pay $50 for a ticket to see those two hooked up again. :D

Oooo yeah I want to see someone creepier, more insanely evil. I agree with you totally. The villian in DH4 wasn't all that scary or tough, I kept thinking John's daughter could could him up. Though I suppose all in all he WAS just supposed to be a comp geek.
Luciferie Girl
GLIB

I know it’s been three weeks but....bear with me...I’m n

Postby kayti on Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:13 pm

I predict the DVD sales for “Live Freeâ€
kayti
GLIB

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:31 pm

welcome! nice first post!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:44 am

You kind of blow the end of your post a little bit by admitting that you took your 10 year old to a PG13 movie though. Apart from that you said some really poignant things.

Welcome again. I still wonder what the age demographic and % of the audience are for this movie. Then again, Havoc stil wonders when I will get round to giving this film a review - and Burl outright bloody fears it!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:34 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Welcome again. I still wonder what the age demographic and % of the audience are for this movie.

I have a pretty good guess. When I ask my 20 year old sister to go see it and she laughs heartily at me, that's when I know haha. That said, kids don't know what real action is! Screw them suckas and their back-talk. They can have their various dance movies and colorful horror flicks, we always have Walter B and he kicks everyones ass.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:45 pm

Die Hard 4.0

Easily the worst of all four Die Hard films. Which sucks, because I did go in with the mindsight to enjoy it. The film starts quite well, but then it derails quickly, and becomes what I hate most about the action genre.

It becomes bland.

Like they had a checklist of what to include. We get the teen friendly sidekick, we get the awful one-liners, we get superhuman acts that make no sense, we get a pathetic villain, and to top it all off we get a neutered John McClane who coulda been played by anyone.

Now in saying that, Bruce Willis IS John McClane. No-one can, or could, replace him. But in this film, its like we're getting the awful MTV version. There's no swearing, there's few cases of inventive violence, and there's never the sense that he's anything other than a generic superhero. Which pisses me off, because John McClane isn't that guy. He's an average joe who outwits the bad guys because they're book-smart, and he's logic smart. Some of the things he does in this film is the sort of logic-defying rubbish you expect from Con Air, a film with its own rules and principles.

Then we get the story.

Every Die Hard story up to this point has had a story that involves McClane battling some demons, or fighting to get back something he loves. And this one is the exception. Which is annoying, because they have a perfectly good story here in his daughter that they barely follow through on. She's there at the start, and she's there at the end, but they forget to have her as a principle part of the story all the way throughout. And yeah, I know DHWAV doesn't feature his wife on-screen, but in that film she plays a big part of his psyche, his stubborness leading him to pursue Grueber when logic fails, the opposite of the DH story from the first one.

I don't want to hate the film, and as a generic action film its fine. Its just not the Die Hard I love, and its not a Die Hard I'm particularly fond of. Which, seeing as how I love Die Hard II, says a lot.

Oh - and Kevin Smith is hilarious, he's just begging for a part in a better film.

Thumbs Thoroughly In The Middle
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Another Thought

Postby kayti on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:09 am

Yes I did take my 10-year-old to see this, and my 12-year-old (13 in Sept.). Both have seen all three Die Hard movies. So I wasn’t too worried about the content. But it’s not my regular practice. Either way, neither were “damagedâ€
kayti
GLIB

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion