The Official Live Free or Review Hard Thread! (SPOILERS)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

"I'll kiss your fucking dalmatian..."

Best. Die Hard. Evar. (even better than the 1st...)
5%
Worse Than the 1st - Better than the other 2...
25%
Better Than the 2nd - Worse than the other 2...
16%
Better Than the 3rd - Worse than the other 2...
14%
Worst. Die Hard. Evar. (but at least it's better than Underworld...)
20%
Even worse than Underworld...
2%
I'm waiting till Die Hard in a Living Room...(DVD, etc...)
18%
Fuck Die Hard (I won't be seeing this...)
No votes

Total votes : 44

Postby Chilli on Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:39 am

It wasn't hard to recognize the Die Hard feel of it.

The other Die Hard films had action scenes directly related to the plot. That entire fighter jet part could've been cut out, and you wouldn't lose a damn thing.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:45 am

I never posted my thoughts in here, so quickly, I'll just say I liked it. I really really missed McClane's clever curses, but I could live without I guess. Here's hoping that the DVD is vulgar.

The orignal is my favorite action film, and is currently # 9 on my all time list, so of course this wasn't as good. But I thought it was at least on par with the others.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:46 am

Chilli wrote:
It wasn't hard to recognize the Die Hard feel of it.

The other Die Hard films had action scenes directly related to the plot. That entire fighter jet part could've been cut out, and you wouldn't lose a damn thing.

Yeah, I would have to agree with that. I don't remember what Die Hard 2 was like, but in Die Hard and Die Hard with a Vengeance, the action wasn't so overtly orchestrated as it was in this one. Most of the action in Die Hard 4 was like 'set pieces' (not sure if I'm using that term correctly...), albeit relatively clever ones.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chilli on Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:29 am

The thing that gets me is that the film seemed like a 'greatest hits' compliation rather than a new Die Hard entity. We had the wisecracks (tame as they were), McClane talking to himself, the inside man in the law force, the comic-relief partner, the family member in peril, and the villain with somewhat complex agenda. But everything seemed watered down from the earlier films.

Now I repeat that its not awful. But if you took out the names McClane/Generro, would anyone think 'Hey, did this originally start as a Die Hard story?' I'm not sure, because it seems to be Die Hard on the surface, but if you dig deeper its really, really watered down.

Which is humerous, because DHWAV didn't start out as Die Hard, but that really feels like a Die Hard flick. Its balls to the wall action, yet we're getting a hungover John McClane who'd rather be doing anything other than saving the day, as well as being a stubborn jack-ass who won't talk to his wife. It also has a great villain (something DH4 misses for me), and Sammy Jackson gives as good as he gets snark-wise.

It might even be the fact that I don't think DH4 went down the 'aging icon' route as well as Rocky. That film added weight to it by showing that Rocky wasn't what he was, but DH4 wants to have it both ways. They want Bruce to save the motherfucking day, but at the same time they want to point out that he's older, and he's lost nearly everything that he cares about. And while he does do some awesome attack tactics (the fire extinguisher, the car etc), in the end it seems like they've made something nice and polished.

The lack of swearing bugs me (even though I can swear I head a mumble 'fucks' in the first scene with Matty), but more than that its the polished look that grates. I know we're in the 21st century, and you can't have the film look gritty, but come the FUCK ON. Die Hard was always the anti polish. The first one looks ragged as a film, true to the situations at hand. There's a grimy realism to the way its shot (Jan De Bont did a helluva lighting job) that makes it stand out from some of the other crap the genre had. DH2 had it too, so did DH3, but DH4 seems (while a world better than Underworld) to be rather blandly shot. Its clear and crisp, and you can see the action, but no real chances were taken with giving the film a sense of grimy realism.

And as for 'yippie ki yay (BANG)' -- I thought they did the best they could with the sitch of some asshole exec saying they couldn't use the language, but Bruce shooting himself to save his daughter falls flat for me. I can understand if it was Grueber, or that asshole from DH2, but this villain is so utterly shit that it seems a waste of a cool death.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Willowwind on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:39 am

I don't know if it was just the group of people that were in the theater with me when I saw it or if this is happening at other viewings but.....we had kind of a Rocky Horror Picture Show moment (for those of us old enough to have gone to that 300 times). When it got to the "bang" almost the entire theater audience finished it for him! You could hear about 200 people mumble mother fucker. It was hysterical! That alone was almost worth the fact that he didn't say it himself.
An it harm none, do what you will.
Willowwind
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby fisher1ly on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:12 am

I love uncle Mclan, his joke is so funny
fisher1ly
GLIB

Postby Chilli on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:18 am

fisher1ly wrote:I love uncle Mclan, his joke is so funny

:?:
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:00 pm

It makes total sense if you look at it in the original Chinese characters.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:03 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:It makes total sense if you look at it in the original Chinese characters.

Maybe you should look at my posts in the original Chinese characters too...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:34 pm

havocSchultz wrote:Maybe you should look at my posts in the original Chinese characters too...

Okay, I'll-- hey, WAIT a second! You call these original Chinese characters!?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:01 pm

Finally saw this last night....Twas better than Die Harder but not as good as the original or with a Vengeance.

Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:01 am

Guess it's too late to write the big review I was planning on so I'll just say a few words.

WEll, I've seen the film twice now and will probably see it again. Which is to say that I really dug it. Pretty much the first time round you could say that I loved the movie. We all came out of the theatre pretty buzzed and exhilerated by the film, but with the odd little reservation about it at the same time.

What works about the film is that it is a proper full on hard core action movie. It don't take shit, it don't hold back, it's out to kick loads of ass and it does so in a hard tough way. Virtually all of the action scenes we're seeing are real and present some top of the range pyrotechnics and physical effects. The stunt work was damn well shocking and at times unbelievable, the stuff they were pulling. What looked like CGI from the trailer is only confirmed to be the real thing by the time I saw the actualy film. The second time round I kept thinking to myself that they should create a Best Stunt Work at the Oscars as so much of this stuff here deserved some kind of recognition and reward as these guys really are sacrificing themselves here. Some of the stunts were just too dangerous and life threatening to be criminally ignored.

After the dissapointing lack of action we got in the 3rd Die Hard film, this latest movie really does hit back with a real 'Vengeance'. In the first action scene alone there is more violence and gunfire than in all of DH3.

4.0 I found to be so in your face with the action that I found it to be actually quite bloody violent, despite the lack of blood. There is quite a high body count here, there's shots of people being blown away by the ton, and 'cos they're not just bad guys being killed, it really is painful to watch at times. Again, the action scenes in this film are excessive, they don't worry about holding back. You want shots of loads of machine gun fire going off and people beating the shit out of each other? Here you got it.

Everyone was complaining about the Truck Vs Jet Fighter battle. But I dug the shit out of it. I thought it was the best part of the whole film. Yeah it was over the top, but in a glorious way, without going too excessive. It was just brilliant to watch. The effects looked fine, the shots of the bridge just being destroyed was amazing, the outrageousness of the whole piece was just what made it exciting. Again, I didn't find it going too far into the realms of science fiction, just a little bit to make you make you laugh and and get a kick out of the outlandishness of it. Anyway, any scene that can make McClane do his trademark desperate 'AAAAHHH!!!' shout is well worth it.

The fight with Maggie Q was just insane and proper hard ass. The whole 'McClane getting the shit kicked out of him by superior trained fighters', well it's all here and taken up a proper notch as it looks like Maggie Q is gonna kill him, but then he gives some kind of wink to you that he's just biding his time with her. Then it's all 'enough of this Kung Fu' shit then you see how much of a bastard he can really be as he beats the crap out of her face and throws her all around the room. And when that don't work, he beats the shit out of her by hitting her with a farking car? The whole load of us couldn't believe what we were seeing in that fight and rightly so it got loads of chuckles.

The thing with the action work in this film is the reactions it got from the audience all round. You could hear such a vocal reaction, wether it was a laugh or gasping in amazement. I swear you could feel the audience just near breaking into applause at key moments in the film. Such as the police car crashing into the helicopter - with a man bloody jumping out of it - and then landing on the ground as the 'copter blew up!? Did people love it? Well they just couldn't believe it. Right there you could hear them reacting to it, trying to keep themselves silent. I think it was this scene that they liked the best.

Which is what is great about the film. Not just that it is nearly noticeably CGI free, but that it goes against the grain of normal expected modern day action film making. It's not overly shaky cammed, it's not MTV edited. None of that poncy shit that you normally see now. Everything is clear, everything you can see properly. What cool rapid cuts and camera movements that is employed in the movie is very expertly done and does deliver the right impact. The crowd scenes in the streets earlier on with McClane jumping out of the truch and running about, all the kineticism of the panicked people. This is where the confused camera work should be employed, not when you're trying to watch an action scene.

Rather in the action scenes instead the camera seems to fly. Wether it's watching Bruce in action in a shoot out in a corridor and the camera whizzing past him as he ducks back into a door frame for cover, or if it's the cop car being chased and shot at by the helicopter with the camera speeding and zipping right past the speeding car, then coming around at another angle on it, that camera just zooms all around the place - and it gives the film even more speed and energy, more adrenalin. It also knows when to cut, or rather, when NOT to cut.

Oh, also I gotta give credit to the French speaking parkour runner. I needed to be told that he was doing all that running and jumping work for real, otherwise I'd be calling him out for being a CGI character. All that stuff he was doing, I found so hard to believe it was really a human doing it freely. Again, another badass fight he has with McClane.

One of the most important things that made this movie work was the actors. So far I found the characters in DH3 to be the most preferable as they seemed the most real. But this film gives it a run for it's money. There's no cartoon 2D seeming characters here and I'm talking about all the supporting cast mainly. There's no silly exaggerated faces, stupid funny campy lines or OTT behaviour. You want that, you'll get that in DH2.

But here there all treated with some respect and credibility, even the bad guys with just a few lines. Everyone looks like real people as much as they can. There's no hamming it up acting either. Best stand out being obviously, Cliff Curtis as Agent Bowman, lumbered with the cliched authority figure, useless to do anything, but he's protrayed with such respectability and importance that you root for the guy on the same level as the 2 lead heroes.

I think the way these guys are tried to be fleshed out more in a down to earth way is what gives the villain so much trouble and flack though. He's no pantomine British thespy actor guy which could be so easy to do but a more normal person. Just a computer expert. So we don't get a guy who's trying to eat up the whole film with a huge scenery chomping performance and I think Timothy Olyphant must have known he was in for a lot of criticism when he took the part. Personally I wouldn't have minded so much if he didn't look like some too old looking clean cut Backstreet Boy though. He just looks too smooth to be threatening and he's doing his best to fight that all the way through.

I actually like Justin Long a lot. He's no way an irritating character, he's not armed with annoying one liners and as the film goes on and he gets put in even more danger than he can handle, he really does come through. He's not really a geeky character as he goes deeper into the action and again as he doesn't play himself too cartoonly and gives himself a bit of seriousness he's actually very watchable.

McClane's daugher is another example of how exceptionally well cast and performed these people were. Again, she's playing a cliche. Daughter in distress and you gotta do a hell of a lot to turn this into an interesting character and to get the audience wondering about you. But from the get go Mary Elizabeth Winstead's grounding you with everything she says and does. Rather than just being a background character, if given the chance, she could pretty much take centre stage in her scenes even more. When the Olyphant's Thomas Gabriel, says that she's definitely McClane's daughter after she's just hit one of his men, you don't doubt it for a second.

It's Willis's film of course. If his version of McClane might not be the best in the series, his performance might well be. Here he's in control of the movie, and he's not letting anyone steal the scenes from him as much as before. We all know how he's grown into the role but here he's given the extra edge by bringing us a more gritty, cynical and pissed off McClane, still full of the charm and humour but now just more gruff. When I watched the first 2 Die Hard's I realised how his acting was a bit dodgy at times, a bit more over the place. Even in the first one he was trying to find his feet and get away from his Moonlighting image. But in the latest he's completely contained and firm, his stillness giving him a more statue like toughness. You keep on thinking that his hard bold head of his could just smash through those pipes that he's being thrown against and that he could still go running into the next room and bash up some more bad guys.

Which brings me to what I didn't like so much in the film. It feels like there's still something lacking from this and the others, that it doesn't quite feel like a Die Hard movie as much. There's that Die Hard flavour, that feeling that isn't there in such quantity. A lot of this comes from the McClane we're getting.

It still is McClane. It has that classic regular Joe beating the more equipped bad guys still. But the idea that McClane is that bit more tough, that more invincible. It's something that I like/don't like so much. At the same time where you feel he's up against the odds and even greater challenges and in for an ass kicking even more than before, he's also come armed with a more Schwarzenegger attack. The whole 'I'm coming to get you' feel at the end where McClane comes to get his daughter approach, that whole feeling of being invincible and unstoppable.

Also before it was always about one man on his own, out of his depth, against elements far more advanced than him, defeating them and being victorious because of his normal human attributes. His wits, his ingenuity, using his brain. Here he doesn't do this so much. A few days after thinking about the film I realised that most of the problem solving and working out what to do next or where to go next was all done by Justin Long's character, not by McClane. Yeah I know McClane don't know shit about technology and computers but Matthew Farrel does, but we're still not getting McClane giving us so much the character that tells us we can win the day by overcoming shit we're not trained for with normal everyday intelligence. Nowhere else really, apart from the action scenes do we see McClane doing this so much. Not advancing the story ahead, not solving problems or puzzles that allow us to discover more of the plot or how to beat the bad guy's plan and be victorious.

It feels like McClane's being Farrel's keeper, or his bodyguard. Let Farrel do all the thinking and working out, whilst McClane defends him from the bad guys by beating or shooting them up. We've got a McClane out of his depth even more, and with a classic villain of his, technology, yes. This gives him that Die Hard feel, but what we're not getting is using McClane's wits and resources to beat it as much as he did in the first films. Here, you've got a buddy buddy partner who seems to be solving McClane's problems 100% of the time.

Also the Die Hard action in an environmental theme is missing here. I'll be fair and a bit more realistic in talking about this rather than just slagging the film off for not setting the film in another claustrophobic setting, that it's not in a ship, or not underground or whatever. As I feel that for a 4th movie, this kind of set up feels too coinidental to be plausible. It was bad enough in Die Hard 2 with the same shit happening to the same guy twice.

But I still feel that DH4 feels too much like an ordinary action adventure that is out there, and not unique or different enough. Personally I think there should be more of a middle ground between this and the traditional Die Hard theme. Like some kind of a spin or twist on the theme of practical or physical situations that McClane's in, and embedd this into a more open free spaced arena. A chase theme, or a race against time theme as bad ideas off the top of my head. Not just a setting that is like a standard action movie that we're already getting.

Also I'm irritated by all those scenes of the Feds and other suits all standing around talking, trying to figure out what is going on - and all of that leading nowhere. Not moving the plot forward, not doing anything to change the ending, just telling the audience what is going on. Despite all of Bowen's ramblings and unravellings all he really did at the end of the day was to send in the cavalry - that got there after the action was all done and dusted. I like everything I see in a movie to have some kind of effect on the movement of the plot and it's conclusion.

Also, don't believe the hype about this movie being CGI free. There are still some bits that look CGI to me and unnecessarily so. The bit with the truck crashing itself into a concrete beam missing, McClane an Farrel in the tunnel. You could have done something different there. It didn't look real. The bit in the trailer of the spinning car landing on 2 others. Some overhead shots of the cars crashing by the lights in the street. I also have a question or 2 about the long shot of the bridge collapsing on top of the truck at the end. Dunno if it's real or not, hope so. But all I can say is that I want to really see the DVD in a hurry to ascertain for certain what is just my eyes playing mind tricks on me and is actually real in that movie, and what really is CGI.

At the end of the day though, whereas with the previous 2 movies at the end I was quite underwhelmed, when the closing credits on this installment came up, I was feeling quite full up, satisfied with the movie. It felt rather complete. When McClane says 'see you at the hospital' you know fully well that he and the movie's deserved it. I was like 'OK, let's hurry up with the credits and go, this movie is well and truly done now' as in, it had done it's job, it's given us what we wanted.

I dunno how it comapres to the other movies, I need to give it more time and viewings like the others. What I do think though, is that as much as I say 'Roll on Die Hard 5 or 6', this movie with all it's brilliant and properly excessive action, is gonna be hard to top next time. So Roll on Die Hard 5 or 6 once more.

OK, that's it. Sorry for keeping things too short. I'm sure I missed some stuff out so if you want, I'm only too happy to put it back in for you, but for now, bear with me as I go back and edit this for 1/2 a farking hour to check on spelling and grammar and Burlcan'tunderstand mistakes.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:14 am

Nice review mate - I still haven't got around to seeing it, but I'm slightly more likely to now.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:18 am

I don't know Kirks, if that's just a few words I wonder what your proper long review would have looked like! But it was a good read so thanks. Glad you liked the movie.

I agree that McClane's character seemed like he was Farrel's bodyguard, but I kind of liked that. Going back to your old-school thing, it was almost like the story was saying that even in this day and age when McClane is out of his depth technologically, they still need him to save the day, or someone like him, because he's "that guy."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:18 am

Nice review Kirk...

Kinda good/weird/scary to see that we agree on so much of it...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:21 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Nice review mate - I still haven't got around to seeing it, but I'm slightly more likely to now.

Canary Wharf Meet Up!! I think it's on it's last week from this Thursday onwards. Come on down and see it with me!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:34 am

You're on! Early next week would suit me - I'll give you a bell this weekend.

Reading your review, I'd be interesting to see what you make of Transformers, since it has some stuff you don't seem to like (shakeycam a-go-go) and some stuff you might love (it felt very "different", to me at least)
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:26 pm

Great review Kirk.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Maui on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:55 pm

First of all, I was one of the skeptics of DH4. John McClane coming back after a 10 year absence. How are they going to do this? Then I saw interviews that there may be a DH 5, WTF? C'mon!!

I just got back from the movie and it was an entertaining, action packed full 2 hours ride. I can honestly say that it is up to par with DH1. We all know that DH2 and DH3 were utter messes.

1. DH1
2. DH4
3. DH2 & 3 - both equally bad

So Bruce Willis still has it. He still has the charm, the wit, the funny little catch phrases and it's wrapped into a nice little package - DH4.

DH4 really needs to stand on its own, not be compared to DH1. Sure there are similar scenes: elevator shaft, walkie talkie stuff, FBI peeps standing around with their finger up their you know what - but it still is very entertaining and I think Willis and crew did a good job of uniting all of us DH fans to see DH4. I was not disappointed.

Maggie Q was a bad ass computer hacker that had some killer kung fu moves. I enjoyed her fight scene with McClane and watching the SUV end up on top of her.

Mac Dude was great. He was really believable, funny, geeky and he played the part of a computer hacker to a tee.

Warlock - we all make jokes about computer nerds living in their Mom's basement - well this was him. Smith was funny. His basement was hilarious. Posters, toys, Star Wars crap, old CB channel 66.6.

The villan - couldn't he have been more bad ass? This guy looked like he just got out of college and left his Lacosse tshirt at home. He just wasn't bad ass enough. I wanted another Hans Gruber comparable type villan, oh well. He was OK.

The action scenes. Well...where to begin. They were very cool. I especially enjoyed the tunnel scene, when they redirected all the traffic back into the closed tunnel, then shut off all the lights. Cars crashing left, right and center. Very very cool scene. Probably my favourite action scene in the whole movie. The cop car flying up and hitting the chopper, cool, but hmmmm, not too believable, but I'll work with it, it's Diehard.

The truck and the jet fighter. Man oh man. Sure, blow up bridges to destroy the truck and everyone else in their cars around that truck. Cool special effects, but perhaps a wee bit over the top, just a bit.

Internet terrorism. Loved it. I am always psyched over movies that have to do with computers, networks, server farms, hackers, etc. I am in this field and I just enjoy watching this sort of thing.

So I'd give this is an 8 out of 10. I was entertained, pleased to see Mr. Willis still has what it takes, and if there is a DH5, please do it soon, don't make us wait another 10 years.

:D
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:33 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Why has no one mentioned the White House blowing up yet in any review or anywhere else? Is it IN this movie or what?[/url]

It is in the movie, it's the capitol building though. When they blew it up, I instantly thought "Independance Day".
Maui
WoWie

Postby The Todd on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:37 pm

Maui in the Simpsons Thread wrote:did anyone else think "Austin Powers" opening scene? I did!

Maui in this thread wrote:When they blew it up, I instantly thought "Independance Day".

Is that all you do? Sit through movies and constantly compare them to other movies you've seen?

:wink:
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:39 pm

The Todd wrote:
Maui in the Simpsons Thread wrote:did anyone else think "Austin Powers" opening scene? I did!

Maui in this thread wrote:When they blew it up, I instantly thought "Independance Day".

Is that all you do? Sit through movies and constantly compare them to other movies you've seen?

Yeah. Got a problem wit it? :twisted:

mwah ha ha
Maui
WoWie

Postby Al Shut on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:39 pm

Does anyone else read Todds posts and think of Scrubs?

Me neither
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:40 pm

Snigger.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby The Todd on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:40 pm

Al_Shut wrote:Does anyone else read Todds posts and think of Scrubs?

No.
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:41 pm

The Todd wrote:
Al_Shut wrote:Does anyone else read Todds posts and think of Scrubs?

No.

Strange, that reminded me of an episode of Doctoracula.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:45 pm

For maximal effect you should write Dr. Acula

I almost didn't get it :oops:
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:49 pm

Who else reads Havoc's post and then thinks of praying to God, "Dear Lord God, please make me a bird, so that I can fly away, far away from here. Dear Lord God, please make me a bird, so that I can fly away, far away from here. Dear Lord God, please make me a bird, so that I can fly away, far away from here. Dear Lord God, please make me a bird, so that I can fly away, far away from here."?

Anyone?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:51 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Who else reads Havoc's post and then thinks of praying to God, "Dear Lord God, please make me a bird, so that I can fly away, far away from here. Dear Lord God, please make me a bird, so that I can fly away, far away from here. Dear Lord God, please make me a bird, so that I can fly away, far away from here. Dear Lord God, please make me a bird, so that I can fly away, far away from here."?

Anyone?

I can't read most of Havoc's posts here at work as our proxy blocks most of his text for content violation.
Last edited by Maui on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maui
WoWie

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:01 pm

Maui wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Who else reads Havoc's post and then thinks of praying to God, "Dear Lord God, please make me a bird, so that I can fly away, far away from here. Dear Lord God, please make me a bird, so that I can fly away, far away from here. Dear Lord God, please make me a bird, so that I can fly away, far away from here. Dear Lord God, please make me a bird, so that I can fly away, far away from here."?

Anyone?

I can't read most of Havoc's posts here at work as our proxy blocks most of his text for violation content.

So does my comp at home...

Doesn't stop me from typing it...

Or believing it...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:18 pm

Al_Shut wrote:For maximal effect you should write Dr. Acula

I almost didn't get it :oops:

NOOOOOO!!!! I tried to be funny with my little in-joke and it backfired. Well almost backfired. You got it afterall :wink:

...so, it was good right? I think it was great. Only I could have thought of that.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:25 pm

havocSchultz wrote:So does my comp at home...

Or believing it...

Gotta love that Canadian spirit! Such pride and confidence!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:38 pm

What's this DH3 bashing Maui. It's easily the second finest and most intense installment of the series. The Bruce/Sam combo worked wonders and the non stop excitement of Bombs lying around town is simply adrenaline pumping.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:40 pm

People don't think DH3 is a true Die Hard film. Not sure how you can say that yet like DH4, but there you go.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:40 pm

Maui wrote:

Or believing it...

Eh...

Mostly just because we're too lazy to change our ways...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Todd on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:42 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:What's this DH3 bashing Maui. It's easily the second finest and most intense installment of the series. The Bruce/Sam combo worked wonders and the non stop excitement of Bombs lying around town is simply adrenaline pumping.

DH3 sucked. Whenever they couldn't think of any way to advance the plot, Sam Jackson would call Bruce Willis a racist. In the ensuing laughter, people failed to realize that the story just jumped ahead without any explanation.

DH2, however, was the fucking bomb. You better recognize.....
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:43 pm

The Todd wrote:

Damn straight...

I miss Renny Harlin...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:44 pm

Chilli wrote:People don't think DH3 is a true Die Hard film. Not sure how you can say that yet like DH4, but there you go.

Indeed. The Bruce himself said Die Hard was about the intensity to make big places claustrofobic timebombs. The only scenes in 4 where I thought that was happening was the very first scene in the apartment and the darkness in the tunnel. The rest of the film was just all over the place. Fun, but to me not nearly as engaging as 1 and 3 where the clock was constantly ticking.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:45 pm

Not knocking DH2, it kicked ass. Just saying that if you want to say DH3 ISN'T a true Die Hard film, then what is DH4? Its not a bad film, its just not in the same league as the first three, or even the same style.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:02 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Maui wrote:

Or believing it...

Eh...

Mostly just because we're too lazy to change our ways...

Unless you're Quebec, in which case you're not lazy enough to change your ways!

*chortle, guffaw*
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:05 pm

As great as DH4 is, yes it doesn't have that Die Hard feel of the story revolving around a physical situation. Like a practical environment, enclosed or otherwise, or the plot involving a physical arena/area. It doesn't compensate for it by even giving the film another spin on it's physical predicament, like a chase/race against time for an alternative take.

Again, this is all me repeating myself though. As I said before, you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't, 'cos if you DID make another Die Hard movie set in an entraped place or area, then the audience will be scoffing at it and saying 'how can the same shit happen to the same guy FOUR times!?!? I don't buy it that much.'

Anyway, I still say, ROLL ON DIE HARD 7!!!!!!!! The physical danger will be - 'COS I'LL BE IN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:08 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:What's this DH3 bashing Maui. It's easily the second finest and most intense installment of the series. The Bruce/Sam combo worked wonders and the non stop excitement of Bombs lying around town is simply adrenaline pumping.

Ok, you're entitled to your opinion, as am I. :wink:

Thank goodness for SLJ! I agree, they were an incredible duo. I just had very high hopes for DH2 and DH3, after an incredbile DH1. I suppose utter messes is a bit harsh, but I just wasn't excited about them, is all.

DH4 I liked, as it went in a different direction. Instead of trying to be like DH1, like DH2 and DH3 tried to do, DH4 just did it's own thing - it was action packed, humourous, and an entertaining 2 hours.

My 2 cents, not worth much, but it's something to me. :wink:
Maui
WoWie

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:09 pm

Senior McLane has yet to travel abroad. I wouldn't mind complete and utter destruction in closed quarters...say...in the streets of Venice or something.

They can pretty much stick him anywhere and I will be happy. Mexico City?

/Enjoyed DH2
//Never had any geek cred going into this thread, having lost it all. So no worries.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:12 pm

The Todd wrote:

DH3 sucked. Whenever they couldn't think of any way to advance the plot, Sam Jackson would call Bruce Willis a racist. In the ensuing laughter, people failed to realize that the story just jumped ahead without any explanation.

but was it as good as "The Black Hole"????? :P

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:14 pm

Maui wrote:

Ok, you're entitled to your opinion, as am I. :wink:

Thank goodness for SLJ! I agree, they were an incredible duo. I just had very high hopes for DH2 and DH3, after an incredbile DH1. I suppose utter messes is a bit harsh, but I just wasn't excited about them, is all.

DH4 I liked, as it went in a different direction. Instead of trying to be like DH1, like DH2 and DH3 tried to do, DH4 just did it's own thing - it was action packed, humourous, and an entertaining 2 hours.

My 2 cents, not worth much, but it's something to me. :wink:

yeah, but that is two cents Canadian, which is like, what, 1.5 cents American? :P :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Todd on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:16 pm

Peven wrote:
The Todd wrote:

but was it as good as "The Black Hole"????? :P

The Black Hole is the shiznit. DH2 is the fucking bomb. Get your classifications straight before you try to play with the big boys.

The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:16 pm

Peven wrote:
yeah, but that is two cents Canadian, which is like, what, 1.5 cents American? :P :wink:

0.951203 CAD
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:17 pm

The Todd wrote:

Yup, they certainly played that card a wee bit too much.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:21 pm

Maui wrote:
Peven wrote:

0.951203 CAD

and stop bringing that Canadian coinage back down into the States and putting it into circulation, i always end up being stuck with one of your quarters when i am parched and the damn soda machine won't take it. :twisted: :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:22 pm

Peven wrote:and stop bringing that Canadian coinage back down into the States and putting it into circulation, i always end up being stuck with one of your quarters when i am parched and the damn soda machine won't take it. :twisted: :wink:

Well I went into the bank with my Canadian coinage to get it converted to US, the teller gave me a dirty look then had security escort me out of the building. Go figure!
Maui
WoWie

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion